Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by bigappleram »

Watching Umass twitter losing theit mind about lack of wifi in the Ryan and how laughable our ESPN+ announcing crew is.
2 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago Watching Umass twitter losing theit mind about lack of wifi in the Ryan and how laughable our ESPN+ announcing crew is.
I mean they’re not wrong haha…with that said, that fan base bitching about the Ryan center…while their attendance averages around 3k and 1/3 getting filled out at Mullins center
4 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I had to tell the Umass guys behind us about the Wifi/signal situation. They thought it was ridiculous of course.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Wondering aloud if Yorke got a talking to. He was decent today. Couple insignificant mistakes but decent.

Building pretty loud with lots of little kids. They love to scream.

:)
6 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 months ago Wondering aloud if Yorke got a talking to. He was decent today. Couple insignificant mistakes but decent.

Building pretty loud with lots of little kids. They love to scream.

:)
Yes, my son, daughter in law and 7 year old grand son sat in our seats. He did shoot like a Ram, drove the lane for made layup……great experience for a kid.
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Gotta add, after a game like this, wouldn’t be so great to have one/near campus a sports bar…….?
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago Watching Umass twitter losing theit mind about lack of wifi in the Ryan and how laughable our ESPN+ announcing crew is.
One point early in the game the play by play guy said the score was 9 to 14
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section(105) wrote: 3 months ago Gotta add, after a game like this, wouldn’t be so great to have one/near campus a sports bar…….?
The drinking age is 21. (ridiculous I know). So the economics of having a sports bar near the campus makes zero sense since the population of Kingston is Giants Fan and a few others. If the drinking age was 18, there would be bars near campus for sure.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

As funny as that tweet is, I can't take any gameday experience shit-talking seriously when it's from UMass
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 months ago As funny as that tweet is, I can't take any gameday experience shit-talking seriously when it's from UMass
The worst seat in our building is better than 90 percent of the seats in theirs. They need wifi to watch the game without binoculars.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 months ago As funny as that tweet is, I can't take any gameday experience shit-talking seriously when it's from UMass
Yeah they’re right about all of that.

But they have a loser fanbase as evidenced by having an empty arena and a bunch of banners with * on them.

Their arena is ass and so are their people.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

None of the above makes our TV product less embarrassing. Today they lamented about if Cross would come in with 6 minutes left in the game. Like what?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I thought there was more availability of stats today? Or, maybe I just have low expectations and have figured out when to look?

And how about those concession lines...I walked in the North at about 130, there five people in metaltector line maybe...got in, first concession stand to the left...no line at all to grab a brew...people just standing there, waiting for customers. I said, "self, you're not going to see that again today."
At halftime, the line upstairs stretched the length of the concourse it seemed. Glad I didn't need or want anything...it was beyond ridiculous....
At that point, it looked like, if you had waited in line for a beer and I left at the same time and walked to my house to grab one...I could probably take a leak at home and still beat you back to our seats.

what are they going to do when everyone finds out how good the team is and 6500 announced actual people show up? I don't know what the net gain would have been with students in session, but it would have been even crazier. I never have any expectation of getting anything but a well-timed beer or two, but have pity on people that don't know any better. "Oh, I'll just get something at the game..." :lol: :lol:
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

It's nice to be retired. I'm at the metal detectors right when the doors are opening. I always get right in. I know working people can't do that. I used to be one of them not that long ago.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 months ago I thought there was more availability of stats today? Or, maybe I just have low expectations and have figured out when to look?

And how about those concession lines...I walked in the North at about 130, there five people in metaltector line maybe...got in, first concession stand to the left...no line at all to grab a brew...people just standing there, waiting for customers. I said, "self, you're not going to see that again today."
At halftime, the line upstairs stretched the length of the concourse it seemed. Glad I didn't need or want anything...it was beyond ridiculous....
At that point, it looked like, if you had waited in line for a beer and I left at the same time and walked to my house to grab one...I could probably take a leak at home and still beat you back to our seats.

what are they going to do when everyone finds out how good the team is and 6500 announced actual people show up? I don't know what the net gain would have been with students in session, but it would have been even crazier. I never have any expectation of getting anything but a well-timed beer or two, but have pity on people that don't know any better. "Oh, I'll just get something at the game..." :lol: :lol:
I think we might need to go back to the Rhody Pub, at least for selling. Buy beers there but take it back to your seat. I think having beer at every concession stand has completely mucked everything up. Until you can convince more people to work concession stands I'm not sure there's a better way
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Put the beers in a beer only kiosks away from the main concessions. Sell beer brands where the beer maker/distributer would staff them. No concession staff needed. My guess is the local craft beer brewers would buy in, no?
5 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 3 months ago

Lol I live in freakin TN I can't make it to the games in RI

We routinely have fans that are super late, it's always been a thing. It's crappy. Shouldn't be a controversial thing to point out.
It wasn’t a late crowd. It’s woeful preparation. Terrible planning. And worse execution.

They do student doors separate during classes, why wouldn’t you expand the entrances when you know there’s going to be 5500 in the building.

It’s so insane that we STILL can’t figure this stuff out.
Has that always been the reason for the late crowd though?
1000%. Every big game there's a crowd like that. It shouldn't take 30+ minutes to get through a security line - especially when it's the most pointless security checkpoint ever and I'm not even sure those metal detectors work or the people care.

It's basic math. You have 3-4 lines (because one says suites only), for the main entrance where 75% of your crowd enters.

You need double that. At least.

Add more security lines - there's no one exiting the building at that time - utilize the exits and add security/tickets there.

Again. I don't think we're asking the world. EVERY OTHER ARENA OR STADIUM OR ENTERTAINMENT VENUE IN THE WORLD HAS THIS FIGURED OUT.

If we keep running like this - we're going to be getting these crowds again. You have to do something...or people will just stay home and watch the game on TV>
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Our games are on TV?🤔
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

It wasn’t a late crowd. It’s woeful preparation. Terrible planning. And worse execution.

They do student doors separate during classes, why wouldn’t you expand the entrances when you know there’s going to be 5500 in the building.

It’s so insane that we STILL can’t figure this stuff out.
Has that always been the reason for the late crowd though?
1000%. Every big game there's a crowd like that. It shouldn't take 30+ minutes to get through a security line - especially when it's the most pointless security checkpoint ever and I'm not even sure those metal detectors work or the people care.

It's basic math. You have 3-4 lines (because one says suites only), for the main entrance where 75% of your crowd enters.

You need double that. At least.

Add more security lines - there's no one exiting the building at that time - utilize the exits and add security/tickets there.

Again. I don't think we're asking the world. EVERY OTHER ARENA OR STADIUM OR ENTERTAINMENT VENUE IN THE WORLD HAS THIS FIGURED OUT.

If we keep running like this - we're going to be getting these crowds again. You have to do something...or people will just stay home and watch the game on TV>
Yeah I try to get there more than a half hour before tipoff, because that waiting in the metaltector line can be brutal. Not sure why they even have them...you see them go off all the time and usually the violator says something to the security dude (a friend of mine says "knee replacements" usually works ;) ) and they're on their way.
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 months ago It's nice to be retired. I'm at the metal detectors right when the doors are opening. I always get right in. I know working people can't do that. I used to be one of them not that long ago.
I got there at 1:10 and it was fine. I like to watch shoot around.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Games during break are notorious for having staffing issues. Student employees that may work at the RC are not around and attendance can be difficult to project and staff accordingly. All this combines to be a recipe for disaster for a well attended game.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

They need pop up coolers around the arena with beer.

Would make things 2X as easy.
5 x
Go Rhody
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Any idea who the individual that is responsible for the Ryan experience?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

McRam wrote: 3 months ago Any idea who the individual that is responsible for the Ryan experience?
Highly doubt it’s one single person.
0 x
Go Rhody
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

The new metal detector system at Gillette is all walk through. I wonder how much that costs. Not really new. It is two years old.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Last time I went to the Conte Center there was no security. Just walk in and check your ticket. Maybe, people should chill. 9/11 was like 23 years ago. No need for the extra security anymore.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 3 months ago
McRam wrote: 3 months ago Any idea who the individual that is responsible for the Ryan experience?
It is, but, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 3 months ago They need pop up coolers around the arena with beer.

This is such an easy one...I don't get what the problem is...
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 months ago They need pop up coolers around the arena with beer.

This is such an easy one...I don't get what the problem is...
It just seems like no one in charge gives two craps about any of this stuff.

The pop up coolers are a lifesaver.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

How come President Parlange hasn't made a contract to have the oil cans offered? (Fosters for those that don't know)
0 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Maybe some vegemite sandwiches also.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

It is, but, pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.

Wait.. there’s actually a man behind the black curtain ?!?
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 3 months ago Last time I went to the Conte Center there was no security. Just walk in and check your ticket. Maybe, people should chill. 9/11 was like 23 years ago. No need for the extra security anymore.

Amen - it’s too much already …

Or at least have a compromise of some sort

People shouldn’t have to wait sooo long to go to a rhody game
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 3 months ago Last time I went to the Conte Center there was no security. Just walk in and check your ticket. Maybe, people should chill. 9/11 was like 23 years ago. No need for the extra security anymore.
Do you really think metal detectors are currently being used because of 9/11? You serious?

No, they’re being used cus people are batshit crazy these days anywhere, any place, any time.

Metal detectors for an indoor sporting event isn’t even “extra” security.

It’s standard at this point at the majority of arenas in the country.

Just put more of them in and things will move quicker.
3 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Oh, and here you go.

“Extra” security at Conte Forum and Alumni Stadium this year.

https://www.evolvtechnology.com/resourc ... tics-event
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Oh, and here you go.

Did you even read the article?

"It helps distinguish between threats and the everyday items people carry in their pockets and bags without always requiring individual checks. That means the majority of fans can pass right through, reducing backups at the gates."
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 3 months ago
Oh, and here you go.

Did you even read the article?

"It helps distinguish between threats and the everyday items people carry in their pockets and bags without always requiring individual checks. That means the majority of fans can pass right through, reducing backups at the gates."
Yes, they’re still screened.

You can’t just walk in like last year.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Do you really think metal detectors are currently being used because of 9/11? You serious?

No, they’re being used cus people are batshit crazy these days anywhere, any place, any time.

So why then with all these batshit crazy people around do we remove the detectors for the WBB Games?

So if someone brings in a gun or knife for a WBB game and does some damage I’d not want to be the AD or President explaining why for MBB but not for WBB.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 3 months ago

So why then with all these batshit crazy people around do we remove the detectors for the WBB Games?

So if someone brings in a gun or knife for a WBB game and does some damage I’d not want to be the AD or President explaining why for MBB but not for WBB.
Not saying it’s the right move, but probably because attendance doesn’t even come place to the men’s game.
0 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Do the students at their gate go thru detection at their entrance? Just asking.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

section(105) wrote: 3 months ago Do the students at their gate go thru detection at their entrance? Just asking.
Correct.

They had a “students entrance” detector yesterday at the game which is there every time.
1 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Not saying it’s the right move, but probably because attendance doesn’t even come place to the men’s game.
1200 to 1500 per game
So sounds like you are saying it’s a judgement play?
Or is it cost savings?

Strange application for safety precautions

Somebody could bring a weapon in for WBB game, hide it and then retrieve it the next night for a MBB game or use it at the WBB game. Pretty flawed system.

If they used the detectors at WBB games they could try to work out the false alarms and the speed issues to make things better for the MBB games. Process is not smooth or error free at this point and throughput issues still exist.
Last edited by ramster 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

1200 to 1500 per game
Or is it cost savings?

Somebody could bring a weapon in for WBB game, hide it and then retrieve it the next night for a MBB game or use it at the WBB game. Pretty flawed system.
My guess would be both judgement and cost savings.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1200 to 1500 per game
Or is it cost savings?

My guess would be both judgement and cost savings.
Who knows. Not consistent.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

I think we all can agree there should be a happy medium and getting into a game at the Ryan should be improved
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Please. Anything that is standard "sometimes" (Ryan) and "not" other times (Conte) is not "standard"
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

We should sue...Title 9 for fans :lol:
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Was going to say this. I'm fine with the detectors in a country that saw 630+ mass shootings in 2023.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We should sue...Title 9 for fans :lol:
Or alternate. Every other game for MBB and every other game for WBB. Mix it up and be unpredictable - never know when the scanning will happen.

Can’t wait til 5 degrees and -22 wind chill lines to get scanned :roll: :roll:
0 x