Games of Interest - 2023-2024 MBB

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Games of Interest - 2023-2024 MBB

Unread post by TruePoint »

Ok, let’s drop it, yeah?
4 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago

I called your comment one for the ages...so yeah go on making stuff up.
You're easily triggered which is on brand for the sanctimonious type.
lol u only wish. Just an Italian that loves sparring with keyboard tough guys
Wait.... there's keyboard "tough guys" here? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

They sold out with 3,300 fans. Wow. Now that's entertainment.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Dukes getting boated early.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

ramster wrote: 3 months ago Utah 90
UCLA 44

say it ain't so Mick Cronin
Ouch! That’s a beating.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

3500 is small but building looks super nice on TV. Appears to have “pit” potential if students get involved?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 months ago
3500 is small but building looks super nice on TV. Appears to have “pit” potential if students get involved?
Dukes down 10 at half. They were favored????
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

theblueram wrote: 3 months ago
Dukes down 10 at half. They were favored????
Yeah, their leading scorer Grant (18.6 pts) is scoreless (0-6).
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Duquesne renovated their arena which took a total of 22 months to complete.

Here from last season is Dave Jablonski’s ranking of all A10 arenas.

The renovation of the old Palumbo Center, now called UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse, at Duquesne has made this a good time to rank the 14 Atlantic 10 Conference arenas.
Duquesne spent $45 million giving its home a facelift, and Dayton fans, who always travel well to the game in Pittsburgh, saw it for the first time Jan. 15. The arena opened a year ago with Duquesne’s first home game — also against Dayton — in 22 months, but this is the first season the Dukes have played home games in the renovated arena without capacity restrictions.
WHIO’s Larry Hansgen ranked the A-10 arenas in 2016 and Duquesne’s arena 12th. I’d have to think he’d have it higher now. I’ve been to every arena in the conference at least three times. Here’s my attempt to rank the arenas from best to worst.

5. UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse: Windows at one side of the arena let in natural light, a rarity for college basketball arenas. UD Arena has the same feature now on one side. There are few traces — bleacher seating behind one basket being one of them — of the old Palumbo Center, which opened in 1988. Seat for seat, this might be the second-best arena in the A-10 now, but it seats 3,500, making it the 286th largest in the nation.

6. Ryan Center: Rhode Island’s home arena opened in 2002. It seats 7,657 fans, and the Rams typically have strong crowds. They’re averaging 4,618 fans (fifth in the conference) this season.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/ ... 47BKDWIGU/
Last edited by ramster 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 3 months ago
They sold out with 3,300 fans. Wow. Now that's entertainment.
you asked for it...I love this...I mean, it includes "kick in the balls":

0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Holmes is a beast. It's like he's a kid on a playground. Fun to watch. Dude is amazing.
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

theblueram wrote: 3 months ago Holmes is a beast. It's like he's a kid on a playground. Fun to watch. Dude is amazing.
Kid is feeling it right now…his outiside shot has improved so much since last year…Dayton is good!!!
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Holmes - 33 pts/12 rebs…12/18 from the floor
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

It's like he couldn't miss. He had shots I said no way is that going in, and he got the bucket.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

was it 4 3’s also? When did he become a 3 pt shooter?
0 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

McRam wrote: 3 months ago was it 4 3’s also? When did he become a 3 pt shooter?
I know right…he’s shooting 41% from 3 this year…scary
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dayton looks like worldbeaters right now a clear NCAA team !
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ramster wrote: 3 months ago

The renovation of the old Palumbo Center, now called UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse, at Duquesne has made this a good time to rank the 14 Atlantic 10 Conference arenas.
Duquesne spent $45 million giving its home a facelift, and Dayton fans, who always travel well to the game in Pittsburgh, saw it for the first time Jan. 15. The arena opened a year ago with Duquesne’s first home game — also against Dayton — in 22 months, but this is the first season the Dukes have played home games in the renovated arena without capacity restrictions.
WHIO’s Larry Hansgen ranked the A-10 arenas in 2016 and Duquesne’s arena 12th. I’d have to think he’d have it higher now. I’ve been to every arena in the conference at least three times. Here’s my attempt to rank the arenas from best to worst.

5. UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse: Windows at one side of the arena let in natural light, a rarity for college basketball arenas. UD Arena has the same feature now on one side. There are few traces — bleacher seating behind one basket being one of them — of the old Palumbo Center, which opened in 1988. Seat for seat, this might be the second-best arena in the A-10 now, but it seats 3,500, making it the 286th largest in the nation.

6. Ryan Center: Rhode Island’s home arena opened in 2002. It seats 7,657 fans, and the Rams typically have strong crowds. They’re averaging 4,618 fans (fifth in the conference) this season.

Cool I guess? Let me know when natural light sells enough tickets to generate enough revenue for Duquesne to be a tournament team. Until then we don't belong in the same conference
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Cool I guess? Let me know when natural light sells enough tickets to generate enough revenue for Duquesne to be a tournament team. Until then we don't belong in the same conference
Why do you have to be so negative?

There was a comment about how nice the renovations and the inside of the Duquesne building looked so I decided to do some searching.
Not to try to impress with the research but to help or enhance the conversation.

Dave Jablonski is a long term writer for Dayton and very knowledgeable of the A10. States he has been to every A10 arena at a minimum of 3 times so he tends to know before and after comparisons when renovations have taken place.
Duquesne reduced their seating capacity to improve seat quality. LaSalle also reducing capacity for quality seating.
Many Dayton fans bought Tix for Duquesne as only a 4 hour drive.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Yeah, it's a great gym for the America East or another one bid league. I don't give a shit if every one of the 3500 seats is a massaging recliner and it's the nicest gym ever, it's not an A10 level arena.

It's amazing that some people just don't get it. People want to bitch and moan about transferring, NIL, and "cartels" out to get us but don't realize our biggest issue is that our conference is an anchor that will drive us under. So yeah, I'm going to be negative towards a school that has gotten the Atlantic 10 one tournament unit in 45 years
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 months ago Yeah, it's a great gym for the America East or another one bid league. I don't give a shit if every one of the 3500 seats is a massaging recliner and it's the nicest gym ever, it's not an A10 level arena.

It's amazing that some people just don't get it. People want to bitch and moan about transferring, NIL, and "cartels" out to get us but don't realize our biggest issue is that our conference is an anchor that will drive us under. So yeah, I'm going to be negative towards a school that has gotten the Atlantic 10 one tournament unit in 45 years
I get it
I get it
I get it
I get it

How the hell could anybody not get it

You hate and despise anything to do with:
Duquesne - 1 tournament unit in 45 years
LaSalle
Fordham
Loyola
UMASS
George Mason
Any others?

How you can think people don’t get your hatred for the bottom teams is crazy talk. Nobody hated them and mentions their hate for them as much as you.

So what is your solution?
Leave the conference?
Kick them all out?
Suggest on this board new conference listings of schools that stays in this board?

Writing the A10 Commissioner might be a good start as she has stated she is looking to add a 16th team.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 months ago Yeah, it's a great gym for the America East or another one bid league. I don't give a shit if every one of the 3500 seats is a massaging recliner and it's the nicest gym ever, it's not an A10 level arena.

Massaging recliners sounds nice. Do they have a heating option like at the movies?
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 months ago

Massaging recliners sounds nice. Do they have a heating option like at the movies?
Ok, hold up...which movie theater has tush warmers?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 months ago

Had to google this one…….

Can’t believe it

Do Cinemark seats heat up?
At the touch of a button, your seat is adjustable to a variety of positions for your most perfect comfort level. In addition, each auditorium is designed for optimal viewing from every seat in the house. Many Cinemark theatres also feature heated Luxury Loungers for a touch of added coziness.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Saturday's Games of Interest:
  • VCU (9-7) (-5.5) AT LaSalle (10-6) 12:30pm USA Net
  • Davidson (10-5) AT George Washington (12-3) (-1.5) 2pm ESPN+
  • Fordham (7-8) AT St Bonaventure (10-4) (-10.5) 2:30pm USA Net
  • Loyola (10-6) AT St Joseph's (10-5) (-6.5) 4pm ESPNU/ESPN+
  • George Mason (12-3) AT Richmond (10-5) (-2.5) 6pm ESPN+
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Had to google this one…….

Can’t believe it

Do Cinemark seats heat up?
At the touch of a button, your seat is adjustable to a variety of positions for your most perfect comfort level. In addition, each auditorium is designed for optimal viewing from every seat in the house. Many Cinemark theatres also feature heated Luxury Loungers for a touch of added coziness.
I believe the theater in South County Commons has heated recliners.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Our biggest issue has been being in the cellar the last 3 years, finishing 10th,11th, and 14th. Make no mistake about that.
I think it is amazing that you don't get that, I guess you believe that is the fault of the A10 administration.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Why do you have to be so negative?

There was a comment about how nice the renovations and the inside of the Duquesne building looked so I decided to do some searching.
Not to try to impress with the research but to help or enhance the conversation.

Dave Jablonski is a long term writer for Dayton and very knowledgeable of the A10. States he has been to every A10 arena at a minimum of 3 times so he tends to know before and after comparisons when renovations have taken place.
Duquesne reduced their seating capacity to improve seat quality. LaSalle also reducing capacity for quality seating.
Many Dayton fans bought Tix for Duquesne as only a 4 hour drive.
His rankings are 🐎💩

No one in their right mind has the Ryan Center SIXTH. So what Duquesne has some renovations, it's no Ryan Center.

Siegal center is also overrated. It's only because they've been good. It's an old ass ugly gym dug into the ground. The Robins center and the Ryan Center are very similar. Kind of interchangeable, but I think the Ryan has better seats and it's louder.

The rest of the rankings make no sense. How can rose Hill gym be 8th?
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Fordham knocks off the Bonnies at the Reilly Center 80-74, crazy.

All 3 Rams win today: Rhody, VCU, and Fordham.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Loyola wins 78-75 @ Joes who now 0-3 in conf
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 3 months ago Loyola wins 78-75 @ Joes who now 0-3 in conf
Several felt the Joes would be contenders this season.
Tough loss to Loyola at home
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The one at South County Commons...where Tower Hill Brewing is happening
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago
I was one of the group that thought so, Jersey. Thought they had a shot at an at-large bid too.

I also thought Duq could be top 4.

Ooph! They are both crashing like a led balloons.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 3 months ago
I was one of the group that thought so, Jersey. Thought they had a shot at an at-large bid too.

Yeah, I expected both of them to be pretty good also.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 3 months ago

Yeah, I expected both of them to be pretty good also.
Rhody cream rising to the top...watch out for the falling debris teams
2 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Sorry to say it, but I hope they lose the rest of their games. Not a well disciplined bench. We sit right behind the visitors bench and several players were turning to the stands telling URI fans to STFU. The family member’s sitting in front of us were equally classless, starting fights with us.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 months ago
Sorry to say it, but I hope they lose the rest of their games. Not a well disciplined bench. We sit right behind the visitors bench and several players were turning to the stands telling URI fans to STFU. The family member’s sitting in front of us were equally classless, starting fights with us.
Maybe that's a Philly thing, the Eagles fans are the worst. ;)
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Our biggest issue has been being in the cellar the last 3 years, finishing 10th,11th, and 14th. Make no mistake about that.
I think it is amazing that you don't get that, I guess you believe that is the fault of the A10 administration.
Please tell us more about how David Cox needs more time to turn it around
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Billy Lange is a horrifically bad coach.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 3 months ago
Billy Lange is a horrifically bad coach.
Funny people were coming around on him for the first time in 5 years like 2 weeks ago.

This is what happens when you fire a legend to “make your mark” as an AD, and can’t admit you f’d up so you keep him.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I’m a bit surprised I thought they were good with the road win @ Nova and the close loss to Kentucky, oh well hope they keep losing not a fan
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 3 months ago Saturday's Games of Interest:
  • VCU (9-7) (-5.5) AT LaSalle (10-6) 12:30pm USA Net
  • Davidson (10-5) AT George Washington (12-3) (-1.5) 2pm ESPN+
  • Fordham (7-8) AT St Bonaventure (10-4) (-10.5) 2:30pm USA Net
  • Loyola (10-6) AT St Joseph's (10-5) (-6.5) 4pm ESPNU/ESPN+
  • George Mason (12-3) AT Richmond (10-5) (-2.5) 6pm ESPN+
VCU won at LaSalle by 6 beating PS by .5
Davidson lost at GW in OT by 4 points. GW wins game and PS
Fordham upsets at St Bona winning by 6 and underdogs by 10.5. Bad showing by Bonnies on their home court to a struggling Fordham team
Loyola upsets at St Joseph's winning by 3 and underdogs by 6.5
Richmond beats GMU by 7 on their home court. Richmond wins PS too as they were favored by 2.5

In other games:

#2 ranked Houston lost at TCU 68-67

On Sunday, Maryland upset #10 ranked Illinois at Illinois 76-67. Illinois was favored by 9.5
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Monday Martin Luther King Day A10 Games:

Note both games are Monday afternoon and both Nationally televised by CBSSN

• George Mason (13-4) (-2.5) @George Washington (-5.5) (13-3) CBSSN 2pm
  • LaSalle (10-7) @ St Joseph's (10-6) (-11.5) CBSSN 4pm
Current A10 Conference Standings:
Dayton (3-0)
Richmond (3-0)
URI (3-0)
Loyola (3-1)
Fordham (2-1)
George Washington (2-1)
VCU (2-2)
George Mason (2-2)
UMASS (2-2)
St Bonaventure (1-2)
St Louis (1-2)
LaSalle (1-3)
Davidson (0-3)
St Joseph's (0-3)
Duquesne (0-3)

For some here could be the biggest game of the day is 1pm Springfield Hoophall Classic. URI Coaching Staff sightings on ESPNU today??

Ben Hammond URI Commit is the starting PG for Paul VI
  • Paul VI (11-1) is Ranked #3 Nationally being #2 Long Island Lutheran (11-1) and #1 Monteverde Academy (15-0) in SCNext Rankings Jan 9.
  • Columbus (13-4) is Ranked #5
Paul VI from Virginia vs Christopher Columbus from Miami FL - ESPNU
ESPN Top 100 Players 2024 in this Game:
#28 Jase Richardson - Columbus
#45 Darren Harris - Paul VI (Duke)
#81 Isaiah Abraham - Paul VI (UCONN)

ESPN Top 60 Players 2025 in this Game:
#2 Cameron Boozer - Columbus
#16 Cayden Boozer - Columbus

ESPN Top 25 Players 2026 in this Game:
#18 Jordan Smith - Paul VI
Last edited by ramster 3 months ago, edited 4 times in total.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I said this at the beginning of the year, GW was picked way too low preseason.

They have two studs, and probably the best freshman in the conference (albeit a redshirt freshman).

Barring major injuries, I think they contend for a Top 4 seed.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 3 months ago I said this at the beginning of the year, GW was picked way too low preseason.

They have two studs, and probably the best freshman in the conference (albeit a redshirt freshman).

Barring major injuries, I think they contend for a Top 4 seed.
We knew that they would have a solid backcourt with Bishop and Edward's.
Buchanan was a good prospect who has plenty of upside, but I didn't expect him and Johnson to make such a big immediate impact this season as freshmen.
Add to that Caputo brought in grad transfer rim protector Akingbola who already has 54 blocks.
They have a good mixture of young and veteran talent, have to be impressed with what Caputo has done so far.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Not mentioned earlier, but while URI was beating UMass, Bryant visited UNH and came away a 89-74 winner. Close first half, but Bryant dominated in the second stanza. Bulldogs had 4 players with double digit scoring.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

reef wrote: 3 months ago Yeah I’m a bit surprised I thought they were good with the road win @ Nova and the close loss to Kentucky, oh well hope they keep losing not a fan
They definitely were good then.

They looked like a different team in the OOC and now they drank some EMBARONSING juice.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago
reef wrote: 3 months ago Yeah I’m a bit surprised I thought they were good with the road win @ Nova and the close loss to Kentucky, oh well hope they keep losing not a fan
They definitely were good then.

They looked like a different team in the OOC and now they drank some EMBARONSING juice.
..people are still referring to our coach from 10+ years ago in insults?

Kinda petty.

Move on, we’re in a much better place now.
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 3 months ago Monday Martin Luther King Day A10 Games:

Note both games are Monday afternoon and both Nationally televised by CBSSN

• George Mason (13-4) (-2.5) @George Washington (-5.5) (13-3) CBSSN 2pm
  • LaSalle (10-7) @ St Joseph's (10-6) (-11.5) CBSSN 4pm
Current A10 Conference Standings:
Dayton (3-0)
Richmond (3-0)
URI (3-0)
Loyola (3-1)
Fordham (2-1)
George Washington (2-1)
VCU (2-2)
George Mason (2-2)
UMASS (2-2)
St Bonaventure (1-2)
St Louis (1-2)
LaSalle (1-3)
Davidson (0-3)
St Joseph's (0-3)
Duquesne (0-3)

For some here could be the biggest game of the day is 1pm Springfield Hoophall Classic. URI Coaching Staff sightings on ESPNU today??

Ben Hammond URI Commit is the starting PG for Paul VI
  • Paul VI (11-1) is Ranked #3 Nationally being #2 Long Island Lutheran (11-1) and #1 Monteverde Academy (15-0) in SCNext Rankings Jan 9.
  • Columbus (13-4) is Ranked #5
Paul VI from Virginia vs Christopher Columbus from Miami FL - ESPNU
ESPN Top 100 Players 2024 in this Game:
#28 Jase Richardson - Columbus
#45 Darren Harris - Paul VI (Duke)
#81 Isaiah Abraham - Paul VI (UCONN)

ESPN Top 60 Players 2025 in this Game:
#2 Cameron Boozer - Columbus
#16 Cayden Boozer - Columbus

ESPN Top 25 Players 2026 in this Game:
#18 Jordan Smith - Paul VI
I just turned it on Ben Hammond drove and got his shot blocked by one of the Boozers
0 x