Future Football Schedules (top post is current)

All things Rhody Rams football.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Future Football Schedules (top post is current)

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Unlike basketball where I've been going to year to year, it will probably be easier to just have one thread updated on a rotating basis.

9/13 - at Western Michigan
9/27 - at Holy Cross
10/4 - at Brown

Game vs. Bryant was scheduled for 9/6, not sure if that date will remain in effect

9/5 - at Temple
10/3 - Brown

Game at Bryant was scheduled for 9/12

9/25 - at Boston College
10/2 - at Brown

Game vs Bryant was scheduled for 9/11

Game at Bryant was scheduled for 9/9
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 3 months ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Future football schedules (top post is current)

The 2025 game at Western Michigan was announced a week ago today. We'll be getting $350,000 for that one

https://fbschedules.com/western-michiga ... -schedule/
0 x
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Bartoburger »

I wish URI would schedule UConn again and UMass every other year, but I get it as it does not benefit those two programs. I am interested in what conference realignment will do to impact URI's nonconference schedule. Holy Cross is going to improve, their head coach is top notch. Look for him to replace Don Brown, when Brown steps down in a few years. Or become the new head coach at BC.
0 x
RI_Rams
Jeff Kent

Re: Future Football Schedules (top post is current)

Unread post by RI_Rams »

I think Brown and Bryant need to be on the schedule every year. The fans and schools want the in-state games to be played.
1 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

I am not for playing Bryant home and home. I know we signed a ten year contract with them so I will have to live with it. Even though they have a much better score board with replay capacity that is utilized and $7 beers, seating for the visitors is little league at best and concession access is weak. I sat on the stone wall in the north end zone and had a good view of the game. In my view we had a good size advantage and a huge speed advantage. The visitor side seating is blocked by the players.
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

Bartoburger wrote: 1 year ago I wish URI would schedule UConn again and UMass every other year, but I get it as it does not benefit those two programs. I am interested in what conference realignment will do to impact URI's nonconference schedule. Holy Cross is going to improve, their head coach is top notch. Look for him to replace Don Brown, when Brown steps down in a few years. Or become the new head coach at BC.
I think we would beat both of them this season.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

R.Kelly150 wrote: 1 year ago
Bartoburger wrote: 1 year ago I wish URI would schedule UConn again and UMass every other year, but I get it as it does not benefit those two programs. I am interested in what conference realignment will do to impact URI's nonconference schedule. Holy Cross is going to improve, their head coach is top notch. Look for him to replace Don Brown, when Brown steps down in a few years. Or become the new head coach at BC.
I think we would beat both of them this season.
We beat UMASS 35-22 last season AT umass
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

I’m amazed that a team like Western Michigan can pay us $350k (great for URI), their attendance is like an average of 15k per game. They either charge way more per ticket than a FCS team or they use the $ they get from playing Michigan or Michigan St to pay for a buy game. Crazy I don’t think the financial difference between FCS and the lower tier FBS is that significant at all and I assume all are cannon fodder for the top rank FBS programs.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Western Michigan averaged 17,937 fans in 2019, which would be an average of $19.51 per ticket to break even in theory, but would probably be more in practice when you consider a game against a FCS school would probably draw less than average and students get free tickets there
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

damram wrote: 1 year ago I am not for playing Bryant home and home. I know we signed a ten year contract with them so I will have to live with it. Even though they have a much better score board with replay capacity that is utilized and $7 beers, seating for the visitors is little league at best and concession access is weak. I sat on the stone wall in the north end zone and had a good view of the game. In my view we had a good size advantage and a huge speed advantage. The visitor side seating is blocked by the players.
Imagine being a URI fan and thinking that you can criticize anyone's stadium....
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Western Michigan averaged 17,937 fans in 2019, which would be an average of $19.51 per ticket to break even in theory, but would probably be more in practice when you consider a game against a FCS school would probably draw less than average and students get free tickets there
I glad the team is getting what it gets, and I’m not complaining. It’s just amazing they can afford to pay this sort of payout when they don’t draw they well. The games we have against Pitt and BC make sense seeing both team average over 30k or game. Glad they pay whet they do just wondering about the economics of it all.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

R.Kelly150 wrote: 1 year ago I’m amazed that a team like Western Michigan can pay us $350k (great for URI), their attendance is like an average of 15k per game. They either charge way more per ticket than a FCS team or they use the $ they get from playing Michigan or Michigan St to pay for a buy game. Crazy I don’t think the financial difference between FCS and the lower tier FBS is that significant at all and I assume all are cannon fodder for the top rank FBS programs.
Based on yesterday's games I'm not sure the major programs are going to consider Sun Belt teams cannon fodder any more.
0 x
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

Holy Cross is another team that FBS teams should be careful scheduling. Although I don't think Chesney will be there much longer. I watched them last night. Talk about a fun FCS team to watch. They are what UMass wishes they had as far as competitive nature and getting players to buy into the coaches system. Their head coach will end up at a D1 program, maybe Syracuse or UMass when their coaches get fired. Don Brown is a great coach, but the coaching job at UMass is probably the most challenging position right now. UMass looks like a D3 school when it comes to speed and not having a QB capable of passing.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCH21377 wrote: 1 year ago
R.Kelly150 wrote: 1 year ago I’m amazed that a team like Western Michigan can pay us $350k (great for URI), their attendance is like an average of 15k per game. They either charge way more per ticket than a FCS team or they use the $ they get from playing Michigan or Michigan St to pay for a buy game. Crazy I don’t think the financial difference between FCS and the lower tier FBS is that significant at all and I assume all are cannon fodder for the top rank FBS programs.
Based on yesterday's games I'm not sure the major programs are going to consider Sun Belt teams cannon fodder any more.
The Group of 5 is all FBS in addition to the P5 plus a small group of FBS Independents
  • American Athletic Conference
  • Conference USA
  • Mid-American Conference
  • Mountain West Conference
  • Sun Belt
Sun Belt flexed it's muscles Saturday as:
  • Georgia Southern won at Nebraska leading to the firing of 4 year HC Frost. Frost takes $9 million with him in his contract buy out.
  • Marshall won at #8 Ranked Notre Dame
  • Appalachian State won at #6 Ranked Texas A&M
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago Western Michigan averaged 17,937 fans in 2019, which would be an average of $19.51 per ticket to break even in theory, but would probably be more in practice when you consider a game against a FCS school would probably draw less than average and students get free tickets there
I glad the team is getting what it gets, and I’m not complaining. It’s just amazing they can afford to pay this sort of payout when they don’t draw they well. The games we have against Pitt and BC make sense seeing both team average over 30k or game. Glad they pay whet they do just wondering about the economics of it all.
Perhaps not just about the one-off game... WMU plays Michigan St in 2025 for a $1.5 million payoff. They also play Illinois the same season which is likely in the same ballpark. The year before (2024), the bailed on a game with Cincy (and a $500k buyout) in favor of a $1.8 million payday at Ohio St (net $1.3 million profit). So if they make $2.5-3 mill in buy games, have 1 home-home, and pay for an FCS school, it's still a major net win.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Holy Cross stomped all over Bucknell at Polar Park Saturday to move to 6-0

We play at Holy Cross in 2025

https://www.telegram.com/story/sports/c ... 200506001/
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

That's why the only football programs that make money are those in the Cartel. Anything outside the Cartel is just lighting money on fire.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I removed the 2023 season because the full schedule is out. Our 2024 Brown game has been moved from 10/5 to 10/12
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Holy Cross stomped all over Bucknell at Polar Park Saturday to move to 6-0

We play at Holy Cross in 2025

https://www.telegram.com/story/sports/c ... 200506001/
Hopefully they don't try to have the URI game at Polar Park. Would be a complete and total disaster
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

damram wrote: 1 year ago I am not for playing Bryant home and home. I know we signed a ten year contract with them so I will have to live with it. Even though they have a much better score board with replay capacity that is utilized and $7 beers, seating for the visitors is little league at best and concession access is weak. I sat on the stone wall in the north end zone and had a good view of the game. In my view we had a good size advantage and a huge speed advantage. The visitor side seating is blocked by the players.
Good news/bad news for you. You can ignore the ten year contract, that is now out the window. Bad news is it's because Bryant is joining the CAA for football effective next season:

https://www.bryantbulldogs.com/sports/f ... 0809it8xo5

I will adjust the top post to reflect they will no longer be non-conference games
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Rhody/Bryant is just screaming for Friday or Saturday night lights.

That’s a packed house layup looking forward.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 8 months ago Rhody/Bryant is just screaming for Friday or Saturday night lights.

Happened two seasons ago and we blew them out. Cool in state game though. Packed house.
1 x
GO RAMS
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

The Bryant game would be nice to have at the new Pawtucket stadium as a neutral site game. Try it once- see how well it sells and go from there.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Bartoburger wrote: 8 months ago The Bryant game would be nice to have at the new Pawtucket stadium as a neutral site game. Try it once- see how well it sells and go from there.
No it wouldn't. You wouldn't be able to tailgate and there's not enough around there to make it worth it. That doesn't even get into the seating at that stadium probably won't be enough for what you're proposing. That also assumes the stadium will ever be finished.

If Bryant wants to use that stadium, if ever completed, for their home games we can't stop them but we should have nothing to do with it unless forced because of renovations to Meade
1 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Does anyone feel safe parking their car in the Providence, Central Falls, Pawtucket area? I don't. I live in Providence and no place is safe anymore. It never was great, but now it is out of control.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Bartoburger wrote: 8 months ago The Bryant game would be nice to have at the new Pawtucket stadium as a neutral site game. Try it once- see how well it sells and go from there.
Why would we sacrifice the gate, tailgate, packed house and great atmosphere for a night game in Kingston vs an in state school to go play in Pawtucket in a soccer stadium?
0 x
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

bigappleram wrote: 8 months ago
Why would we sacrifice the gate, tailgate, packed house and great atmosphere for a night game in Kingston vs an in state school to go play in Pawtucket in a soccer stadium?
First I think it would be benefit Bryant for one their URI home games as their stadium has a smaller capacity than Meade.

What is the difference watching a football game at a Soccer stadium than at an American Football stadium? Sight lines for seating are practically the same.

Why would you not promote your flagship school football program to another part of the state? This stadium is getting built. There are too many companies/groups involved for it to fail- plus the financing was finally secured.
I love the Rhode Island attitude on this board as if URI has a strong tradition of crowds over 10k and if another part of the state is more than 20 min away than it is too far away. Before they fix up a falling down Meade Stadium it wont hurt to have a game at the new Pawtucket Soccer stadium.- URI or Bryant! Other college football programs around the country have an occasional home game at another stadium AKA home away from home.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Why are we saying these will automatically be night games?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Bartoburger wrote: 8 months ago
First I think it would be benefit Bryant for one their URI home games as their stadium has a smaller capacity than Meade.

What is the difference watching a football game at a Soccer stadium than at an American Football stadium? Sight lines for seating are practically the same.

Why would you not promote your flagship school football program to another part of the state? This stadium is getting built. There are too many companies/groups involved for it to fail- plus the financing was finally secured.
I love the Rhode Island attitude on this board as if URI has a strong tradition of crowds over 10k and if another part of the state is more than 20 min away than it is too far away. Before they fix up a falling down Meade Stadium it wont hurt to have a game at the new Pawtucket Soccer stadium.- URI or Bryant! Other college football programs around the country have an occasional home game at another stadium AKA home away from home.
We don't know the financing has been secured. The habitual liar running the project has said it has been, I'll wait for actual proof.

Again, if Bryant wants to play one of their home games there they're free to. I'm sure in terms of sight lines it will be more than fine, unlike trying to have a football game in a baseball stadium. That said, we should not be sending one of our home games an hour away from campus to a place that has no hope of having a proper atmosphere for a college football game
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

So long as its at Bryant's expense.
Their home facilities are terrible.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It may make sense for Bryant to host us at the stadium (if it ever gets built). It makes zero sense for us to move our designated home game to a soccer stadium in Pawtucket. Unless Meade is under construction.

I haven’t lived in RI in 30 years so this isn’t a RI attitude it’s logic and common sense.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It may make sense for Bryant to host us at the stadium (if it ever gets built). It makes zero sense for us to move our designated home game to a soccer stadium in Pawtucket. Unless Meade is under construction.

I haven’t lived in RI in 30 years so this isn’t a RI attitude it’s logic and common sense.
We only play 5 games at Meade this year.
1 is Family Day which is already sold out
1 is Homecoming
We installed lights, a beautiful new field and we are making revisions to the East Stands to accommodate increased attendance.

Why would I ever want to play a URI Home Game in Pawtucket?
Would we bus students in?
It's Pawtucket for Pete's Sake (Sorry Pete)

Makes zero sense, in fact it makes negative sense
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Should we play Bryant in Pawtucket. Zero, zero chance.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Updated for the new season. I expect that we'll be getting a home game against Long Island sometime during this period, my guess would be 2026. We've already got our buy game scheduled and we need another out of conference game. Timeline would fit too to have six games in the newly renovated Meade
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote: 8 months ago Rhody/Bryant is just screaming for Friday or Saturday night lights.

It looks like we're going to be playing them the last weekend of the season as part of the CAA trying to have a rivalry weekend to end the regular season. I wouldn't expect too many night games in mid-November
0 x
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

Pawtuckets new soccer stadium is it being designed for American football too? Sounds like a prime spot to host the state high school championship games in football.

Why is there a zero chance for URI and Bryant to play there Bigappleram? You have insider info? We are talking about two programs who struggle to get 7-8k for their home games. I dont think there would be a huge drop off in attendance if you had the URI/Bryant game at a neutral site.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Bartoburger wrote: 3 months ago Pawtuckets new soccer stadium is it being designed for American football too? Sounds like a prime spot to host the state high school championship games in football.

Why is there a zero chance for URI and Bryant to play there Bigappleram? You have insider info? We are talking about two programs who struggle to get 7-8k for their home games. I dont think there would be a huge drop off in attendance if you had the URI/Bryant game at a neutral site.
What the hell is the point?

It’s a conference game now, should be played at each others campus’.
1 x
Go Rhody
Bartoburger
Marc Upshaw

Both of the current programs facilities are closer to high school facilty standards than an average D1 football stadium. That is the point, Rhody15.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Bartoburger wrote: 3 months ago Pawtuckets new soccer stadium is it being designed for American football too? Sounds like a prime spot to host the state high school championship games in football.

If the schools struggle to draw at their own home why would they move the game away from their fanbase to a place where they don't have a fanbase and where you can't have any semblance of a college football atmosphere? Why would these schools give up the revenue of a homegame every other year?
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Bartoburger wrote: 3 months ago Both of the current programs facilities are closer to high school facilty standards than an average D1 football stadium. That is the point, Rhody15.
Both schools are spending millions of dollars to improve their football facilities. Bryant already replaced their field turf this off-season and is starting a remodel of their visitors sideline the middle of this year. We're starting a $42 million remodel of the East side in November. We need home games to recoup costs and justify the expenditures. There is no reason to think a minor league soccer stadium will be a better venue for a football game once both schools complete their renovations
1 x