Games of Interest - 2023-2024 MBB

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Games of Interest - 2023-2024 MBB

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Can we replay the Brown NH and Delaware games?

Lol

With Green we probably win those games.

11-4 would sure look good instead of 8-7.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 3 months ago Tuesday A10 Games
  • URI (7-7) @ Davidson (-5.5) (10-4) ESPN+ 7pm
  • VCU (8-7) @ George Mason (13-2) (-3.5) ESPN+ 7pm
  • Richmond (9-5) @ Loyola (10-5) (-2.5) ESPN+ 8pm

All 3 A10 Home Teams were favored and all 3 lost their games and the point spreads tonight

URI 79-74 over Davidson

VCU 54-50 over George Mason GMU went 0-15 3FG on their home floor.

Richmond over 58-56 over Loyola

In Other Games.......
  • #17 Ranked Colorado State Mountain West (-1.5) (13-2) @ Boise State (10-4) Mountain West Network 9pm should be a good one
Boise State upset Colorado State 65-58

Top 2 teams lost tonight on the road

#1 ranked Purdue lost 88-72 @ Nebraska
#2 ranked Houston lost 57-53 @ Iowa State
All the A10 games seemed to be closely contested.

Aside from our game other things of interest.

In Richmond's 2-point win over Loyola, (G) Delonnie Hunt finally returned to the court since injury.
The All-NEC transfer did play 19 minutes and the Spiders are now at full strength.
They are also 2-0 and beat the Bonnies, maybe they are another team to keep an eye on.

Nebraska (13-3) beat #1 Purdue shooting a hot 61% 3PT.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rambone 78 wrote: 3 months ago Can we replay the Brown NH and Delaware games?

Lol

With Green we probably win those games.

11-4 would sure look good instead of 8-7.
And C of C. And PC. Potentially even Northwestern.

The only game we were completely outmatched in was Washington State.

I'm not sure NW gets off to such a dominating start against us - mainly because Fuchs wouldn't have been asked to defend a position that his skills aren't suited to.

Once we adjusted after going down TWENTY, we outscored them by almost double digits the rest of the way. We actually cut it down to 5 at one point.

PC was a tight game until the last 8 mins. I think Green slows down Hopkins significantly and he doesn't get 24 on us.

C of C would've been tough on the road - but it was a 1 point game in the 2nd half and we ended up turning it over 17 times because we didn't have any answers on offense.

As a lot of us said - David Green is a complete and total difference maker. You're starting to see why.

Studs said it as well...imagine what happens to this team if Zek returns to form from earlier in the season. There is no reason to think that this unit, if continuing to improve together, cannot be a top 4 team in the conference.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago https://bballnet.com/teams/providence

So long as PC doesn't collapse they'll probably get in.

Subject to change obviously, but they have

Ten Q1 games, three Q2 games, one Q3 game and just three Q4 games.

Take care of DePaul and G-town and split the rest and they're in easily.
This reminds me, on a smaller scale, of the FSU QB injury keeping them out of the playoffs. Similar to Kenyon Martin going down years ago at Cincinnati. If PC can get some wins without Hopkins in the lineup then great, look at their entire body of work. If they lose more than they win then they should not be an NCAA tournament team as they are not the same group without Bryce Hopkins.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Section104 wrote: 3 months ago

This reminds me, on a smaller scale, of the FSU QB injury keeping them out of the playoffs. Similar to Kenyon Martin going down years ago at Cincinnati. If PC can get some wins without Hopkins in the lineup then great, look at their entire body of work. If they lose more than they win then they should not be an NCAA tournament team as they are not the same group without Bryce Hopkins.
The only thing that's going to matter is how they actually perform the rest of the year. There is so much season left that there shouldn't be any "consideration for injury".... Not a selection factor
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Section104 wrote: 3 months ago

I doubt the Hopkins thing will end up being a factor in that way. I think it would if he had been hurt later in the year, but they'll have two months to prove whether or not they're worthy.

Either they'll earn it or they won't.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The Johnnies take down the Friars, Slick Rick still has it.
1 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 3 months ago Wednesday Night:
  • LaSalle (10-5) @ UMASS (10-4) (-9.5) 7pm
  • St Joseph's (10-4) (-4.5) @ St Louis (7-8) 7pm CBSSN

• PC (11-4) @ St John's (11-4) (-7.5) 6:30pm FS1
UMASS wins easily and beats the point spread. Cohen and Hankins-Sanford (off the bench) both with double-doubles for UMASS

St Louis upsets St Joseph's winning by 3 points on their own home court. Gibson Jimerson played 38 minutes 7-11 3P's for 27 points to lead SLU to the upset win.

PC goes down at St John's
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

St. John's currently in 1st place BE. Maybe they will be ranked
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Just so ridiculous the higher ups at St John’s hired Pitino.

They must have no morals or integrity hiring such a terrible terrible human being.

All of them should be ashamed of themselves for being first in the big east, possible ranked soon and heading to the NCAA tournament.

I’m expecting an apology from them this week.
2 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 months ago Just so ridiculous the higher ups at St John’s hired Pitino.

They must have no morals or integrity hiring such a terrible terrible human being.

All of them should be ashamed of themselves for being first in the big east, possible ranked soon and heading to the NCAA tournament.

My hands are crampin I've been clutchin these pearls so hard!!!! Apologize St John's! Please!
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

#3 Kansas loses to UCF on the road
#5 Tennessee loses to Mississippi State on the road

So in 2 consecutive nights 1,2,3 and 5 have all lost

And all 4 losses were Conference games on the road
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ramster wrote: 3 months ago #3 Kansas loses to UCF on the road

And somehow pollsters will find an excuse to not move UConn up.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Blue Man wrote: 3 months ago

That will make up for when UConn lost to Seton Hall and barely got by St. John's at home and they remained at #5
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 months ago Just so ridiculous the higher ups at St John’s hired Pitino.

While your post may have been sarcasm, I agree with all above!!! Pitino is a POS.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 3 months ago

While your post may have been sarcasm, I agree with all above!!! Pitino is a POS.
It is obviously one billion percent sarcasm and anyone who agrees with that post is charmin soft.

Should we fire Kenny Johnson then? He was Pitino’s top assistant.
2 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 months ago

It is obviously one billion percent sarcasm and anyone who agrees with that post is charmin soft.

I would not expect anything less from someone such as yourself. Read into that what you may.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 3 months ago
ramster wrote: 3 months ago Wednesday Night:
  • LaSalle (10-5) @ UMASS (10-4) (-9.5) 7pm
  • St Joseph's (10-4) (-4.5) @ St Louis (7-8) 7pm CBSSN

• PC (11-4) @ St John's (11-4) (-7.5) 6:30pm FS1
UMASS wins easily and beats the point spread. Cohen and Hankins-Sanford (off the bench) both with double-doubles for UMASS

St Louis upsets St Joseph's winning by 3 points on their own home court. Gibson Jimerson played 38 minutes 7-11 3P's for 27 points to lead SLU to the upset win.

PC goes down at St John's
Matt Cross only played 24 minutes with 4 rebounds 6 points last night. Frank Martin said the night before that Cross had pink eye earlier and had not practiced with the team all week.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I would not expect anything less from someone such as yourself. Read into that what you may.
Answer my question.

Should we fire Kenny Johnson? He was Pitino’s right hand man, involved in everything he did.
0 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Answer my question.

Should we fire Kenny Johnson? He was Pitino’s right hand man, involved in everything he did.

An assistant coach is not the face of the program and is a different matter. In addition to that, Johnson has far less baggage than Pitino and was probably following the orders of his boss instead of orchestrating it.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

That's okay, it'll just further fan the flames of Hurls
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Lol... excellent non-answer!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 months ago

NYG208,
You know a lot. Not sure myself but Is it still sarcasm if “it is one billion percent sarcasm”?

Wouldn’t a good quality sarcasm be where the reader is not quite sure? Or am I out in left field on this?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 months ago

NYG208,
You know a lot. Not sure myself but Is it still sarcasm if “it is one billion percent sarcasm”?

Wouldn’t a good quality sarcasm be where the reader is not quite sure? Or am I out in left field on this?
You got that right, I know a million bajillion things...a lot ...not much useful, but still a lot.

On "one billion percent sarcasm", I'm not sure. At that level, seems there is risk of the sarcasm collapsing on itself ..like a double negative. That makes total sense. (See what I did there?)
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Answer my question.

An assistant coach is not the face of the program and is a different matter. In addition to that, Johnson has far less baggage than Pitino and was probably following the orders of his boss instead of orchestrating it.
So does that mean that your problems with Rick are his personal transgressions? Or his basketball ones?

Because it's pretty risky to vouch for the character of our guys when they're in our building, but then question the character of those who aren't...simply because they aren't. Everyone knows about Rick's transgressions. They were made public. Many others people's transgressions are private, so it would seem illogical to stand on the morals of people you don't know personally.

If the guys wife forgave him, IDK maybe you could find it in your heart to be OK with the idea that he'd have helped our basketball program?

Based on the statement you write where KJ was "probably" following the orders of his boss, it seems like you're just making a blind assumption without knowing the guy and only what you've read about. I mean, his wife forgave him - do you know better?

Does KJ have less baggage? And make no mistake, he's the best assistant coach we've ever had. Period full stop. No one else comes close. But we were able to afford him for a reason.

Same with Harrick. And before you say "what Harrick did and what Rick did are way different" HOW DO YOU KNOW!?

We literally don't. We know what's reported and that's it. And Harrick's reign was in a much different time than Rick's, so who knows the kind of things the 80s/90s coaches swept under the rug.

I just can't get there on this pretend "our guys" are better people because they're "our guys" argument.

I don't think Rick's that great of a person based on what I've seen reported on him. But guess what, until 9 months ago I thought Ed Cooley was a high quality person too.

College basketball, specifically the recruiting part of it, involves a really shady element of society. It just does. "Grassroots" programs with tons of unregulated money thrown at them from shoe or apparel companies paying or bribing families who don't come from much.

Once you accept that fact, and the understanding that you have to get your hands somewhat dirty to excel in this game, you won't sound so hypocritical in defense or condemnation of things you definitely don't have the full story on.

Yeah - what happened at Louisville looks bad on the surface. Because 18-23 year old basketball players would NEVER HAVE SEX with ANYONE! Especially our players. No, they came to URI because it's a beautiful campus and a location close to the beach they can go to for 2 months out of the school year. Our academics are first rate and our guys understand that they're going pro in something other than sports, so they're going to hit the books!

It has nothing to do with an overwhelming amount of attractive college girls here, not at all!

Please never do any research into how Lamar Odom came here or what he did on campus, we all know he came because the teacher:student ratio was great!

I've heard/seen plenty of less-than-flattering stories of former coaches here, and they'll stay private, but this holier-than-thou attitude when it comes to URI people and non-URI people is absurd.

If you want to root for quality people doing quality things, set up stands outside of a food pantry and go scream for the volunteers there who are actually doing some good in the world.

But this idea that we're so clean and wonderful because we're us, and everyone else is dirty because they're not, is tired and lame.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I for the life of me cannot understand why some posters here continue to incessantly bring up Rick Pitino in this forum. Administrators at URI chose not to hire Pitino several years ago and will likely never hire him. This is reality and it will never change despite the ad nauseam rantings of a vocal loud minority on this site. While some may forever pine for Pitino, that sentiment is not shared by many others, most especially those in the position which could actually make it happen.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RF1 wrote: 3 months ago I for the life of me cannot understand why some posters here continue to incessantly bring up Rick Pitino in this forum. Administrators at URI chose not to hire Pitino several years ago and will likely never hire him. This is reality and it will never change despite the ad nauseam rantings of a vocal loud minority on this site. While some may forever pine for Pitino, that sentiment is not shared by many others, most especially those in the position which could actually make it happen.
I feel like Rick has been brought up far more by people talking about how glad they are we didn't hire him, than anything else.

I think it's fair game to point out the guy still clearly has got it, and it's also fair game on a message board to surmise where this program might be today if we had made a good basketball decision and hired Pitino.

I also think it's fair to point out the hypocrisy of this program's fans to pretend they wouldn't have found an ounce of joy or celebrated the numerous NCAA appearances we'd have clearly gone to with Pitino at the helm, while they simultaneously wax poetic about our golden years with Jim Harrick and Lamar Odom.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Actually the funniest thing I can think about here is that legitimately the squeaky cleanest, most ethical, most family oriented person in their personal life ever to walk through the doors as a coach in Kingston was Dan Hurley - and some people here think he's a scumbag because he left.

Not like this proves my point or anything.

Dan's bad because he left. But everyone who's currently here is good!
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 3 months ago I for the life of me cannot understand why some posters here continue to incessantly bring up Rick Pitino in this forum. Administrators at URI chose not to hire Pitino several years ago and will likely never hire him. This is reality and it will never change despite the ad nauseam rantings of a vocal loud minority on this site. While some may forever pine for Pitino, that sentiment is not shared by many others, most especially those in the position which could actually make it happen.
I feel like Rick has been brought up far more by people talking about how glad they are we didn't hire him, than anything else.

I think it's fair game to point out the guy still clearly has got it, and it's also fair game on a message board to surmise where this program might be today if we had made a good basketball decision and hired Pitino.

I also think it's fair to point out the hypocrisy of this program's fans to pretend they wouldn't have found an ounce of joy or celebrated the numerous NCAA appearances we'd have clearly gone to with Pitino at the helm, while they simultaneously wax poetic about our golden years with Jim Harrick and Lamar Odom.
RF1,

Were you in favor of the hiring of Jim Harrick? For, against or neutral? And who made the hiring decision on Jim Harrick? This would be at the time of the hiring, not years later.

And clearly you were not in favor of hiring Pitino. Were you for, against or neutral on the hiring of David Cox?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RF1,

Were you in favor of the hiring of Jim Harrick? For, against or neutral? And who made the hiring decision on Jim Harrick? This would be at the time of the hiring, not years later.

And clearly you were not in favor of hiring Pitino. Were you for, against or neutral on the hiring of David Cox?

For the umpteenth time - The hiring of Harrick back in 1997 is not comparable to the Pitino status back in 2018 despite some repeatedly trying to make it so. Harrick's publicly known baggage at the time that URI hired him was mostly tied to UCLA expense report transgressions. His major infractions which he is most known for happened AFTER URI had hired him. I therefore did not have a major issue with Jim Harrick coming to Kingston in 1997. The transgressions of Rick Pitino were well known in 2018 and were multiple in nature over many years and his employer school was much investigated and harshly penalized. Equating Harrick in 1997 and Pitino in 2018 is a conflation of the then known facts.

I at the time did not have a great issue with the hiring of David Cox in 2018. I had thought he was adequately prepared for the job and was taken in by Dan Hurley's strong endorsement of him. In hindsight, after seeing four years of Cox at the helm, it was clear that I (and others) was wrong as he was not up to the challenge.

I did not bring up Pitino in this thread and would rather never post another word about him as he never became our coach and never will. My posts involving him are almost always in response to others. The constant rehashing of Pitino to me seems to be a form of mental masturbation which a few select but very vocal fans seem to get off on.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1,

For the umpteenth time - The hiring of Harrick back in 1997 is not comparable to the Pitino status back in 2018 despite some repeatedly trying to make it so. Harrick's publicly known baggage at the time that URI hired him was mostly tied to UCLA expense report transgressions. His major infractions which he is most known for happened AFTER URI had hired him. I therefore did not have a major issue with Jim Harrick coming to Kingston in 1997. The transgressions of Rick Pitino were well known in 2018 and were multiple in nature over many years and his employer school was much investigated and harshly penalized. Equating Harrick in 1997 and Pitino in 2018 is a conflation of the then known facts.

I at the time did not have a great issue with the hiring of David Cox in 2018. I had thought he was adequately prepared for the job and was taken in by Dan Hurley's strong endorsement of him. In hindsight, after seeing four years of Cox at the helm, it was clear that I (and others) was wrong as he was not up to the challenge.

I did not bring up Pitino in this thread and would rather never post another word about him as he never became our coach and never will. My posts involving him are almost always in response to others. The constant rehashing of Pitino to me seems to be a form of mental masturbation which a few select but very vocal fans seem to get off on.
Thanks.

And knowing what you know now on Harrick, if you knew those things Begore the hiring of Harrick, would you have still been in favor of hiring him back then?

And to one of my original questions, who hired Harrick?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If i were in charge of a school's basketball program, I would not have hired Harrick post his URI and Georgia tenures. It would appear that every other D1 school shared my opinion.

Can we now please move on to matters that are today relevant to URI hoops?
Last edited by RF1 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 3 months ago If i were in charge of a school's basketball program, I would not have hired Harrick post his URI and Georgia tenures. It would appear that every other D1 school shared my opinion.
And who hired him? Carruthers, right?

And one more and I’ll share my thoughts on all 3:

Did you support the Jack Kraft hire?
And after Jack Kraft served as Coach would you still have supported the Jack Kraft hire?

Thanks
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

UCF Courtstorming in win over Kansas

https://www.si.com/college/2024/01/11/u ... tator-shoe
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Utah 90
UCLA 44

say it ain't so Mick Cronin
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Atlantic 10 Friday Night 7pm. ESPN2

Dayton (12-2) AT Duquesne (9-5) (-1.5)

Duquesne favored by 1.5 points

IMG_1884.jpeg
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 months ago UCF Courtstorming in win over Kansas

https://www.si.com/college/2024/01/11/u ... tator-shoe
Wow...talk about woodshedded
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 3 months ago Atlantic 10 Friday Night 7pm. ESPN2

Dayton (12-2) AT Duquesne (9-5) (-1.5)

Duquesne favored by 1.5 points

IMG_1884.jpeg
This should be a good game.

I am a little surprised Duquesne is favored in this one; they are 0-2 so far in conference play.
They were selected pre-season #4 A10 this season.

Duquesne center Dusan Mahorcic missed the last game and only 5 minutes in the prior game (UMass).
Not sure of his injury status, also forward Hassan Drame didn't play against Loyola.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The same guy that looked the other way when a URI student mascot was assaulted by 4 people in a bathroom at the Dunk (the ever so holy Father Shanley) is the same guy that signed off on Slick Rick. So yeah, there are no morals or integrity there
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Answer my question.

"I am the head of the program, I'm responsible for everything," Rick Pitino

"WHAT?! That was taking place in my program?! I had no knowledge of that! The dastardly assistant that I hired is sabotaging me!" Rick Pitino in the middle of his 6th NCAA investigation.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

All of that is fair, however why isn't it fair for a person to say that based on what you know of a person you find them so sleazy and contemptible that you don't want to be associated with them in anyway? There are levels to everything and I don't want to be associated with Rick Pitino in ways that I'm ok with being associated with other coaches and players
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 3 months ago Actually the funniest thing I can think about here is that legitimately the squeaky cleanest, most ethical, most family oriented person in their personal life ever to walk through the doors as a coach in Kingston was Dan Hurley - and some people here think he's a scumbag because he left.

Not like this proves my point or anything.

Dan's bad because he left. But everyone who's currently here is good!
What's so hard to understand? People root for laundry, URI fans have hated/envied UConn since before Dan was even a glimmer in our eye, and in every relationship it's easier to leave than to be left. Based on those three things I can see why people feel that way about Dan even if I don't
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 3 months ago If i were in charge of a school's basketball program, I would not have hired Harrick post his URI and Georgia tenures. It would appear that every other D1 school shared my opinion.
And who hired him? Carruthers, right?

And one more and I’ll share my thoughts on all 3:

Did you support the Jack Kraft hire?
And after Jack Kraft served as Coach would you still have supported the Jack Kraft hire?

Thanks
Petro was the AD and Carothers was the President
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 months ago

All of that is fair, however why isn't it fair for a person to say that based on what you know of a person you find them so sleazy and contemptible that you don't want to be associated with them in anyway? There are levels to everything and I don't want to be associated with Rick Pitino in ways that I'm ok with being associated with other coaches and players
Pretty sanctimonious for a guy who had no issue tossing personal insults and degrading an entire industry of people. That's rich.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago

Pretty sanctimonious for a guy who had no issue tossing personal insults and degrading an entire industry of people. That's rich.
You have no problem insulting other people but become a real whiny, stalker little bitch when you get it back in return. Maybe you want to stay out of the kitchen in the future
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

You have no problem insulting other people but become a real whiny, stalker little bitch when you get it back in return. Maybe you want to stay out of the kitchen in the future
I called your comment one for the ages...so yeah go on making stuff up.
You're easily triggered which is on brand for the sanctimonious type.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

lol u only wish. Just an Italian that loves sparring with keyboard tough guys
0 x