2023 offseason transfer portal - top post is updated

All things Rhody Rams football.
damram
Kenny Green

Re: 2023 offseason transfer portal - top post is updated

Unread post by damram »

I totally agree with you on this. Once we lost to Richmond, he should’ve got some time.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

damram wrote: 4 months ago I totally agree with you on this. Once we lost to Richmond, he should’ve got some time.
There were opportunities where we were either ahead or behind by significant margins where Farrell could have subbed in.
Farrell appeared in 6 games, completed 2-3 passes and rushed 5 times. Most of these opportunities were because Hill was injured or exhausted for a short time.
There were a couple times where Hill did not look happy when he did come out of the game for Farrell. Hill wanted to play every down.
Hill’s running style makes him vulnerable to injury so having him on the field less when the game is no longer in question (winning or losing) would preserve Hill from possible injury but also see what Farrell is capable of and make Farrell more ready if needed. Plus give Farrell more confidence and happy to look towards the future like next season. Fleming could even point to Farrell as a positive to future incoming freshmen and transfers that next season has solid potential.
I liked what I saw in Farrell and he played at a top HS Program, recruited by and played for P5 Virginia Tech. Wish we had seen more of him.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Looks like he has two years of eligibility and also received offers from Albany, Northern Arizona, Monmouth, Akron, Eastern Kentucky, UMass, Bryant, New Hampshire, and Maine. Named All Shore Football the last two seasons at Stonehill
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Farrell_Fan
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Farrell_Fan »

Y'all have seen nothing yet regarding Farrell. I recommend watching his highlights on YouTube. Virginia Tech was a damn fool for letting bruh walk
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Iggy1979 wrote: 4 months ago Since Hill didn't lead the team to the playoffs his staying only delayed development of next QB
I don't think this is fair. I don't think as a program we can say playoffs or bust for what we've been historically. 3 winning seasons, 4 if you count Covid spring, are nothing for us to sneeze or turn our nose up at. The last time we accomplished that were the 82-85 seasons. We're still in program building mode with the renovated stadium on the horizon, and stacking winning seasons going into the capital campaign and a renovated stadium has value.

All that being said, I'm excited to see what Devin will do as QB1 going forward
2 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 4 months ago Since Hill didn't lead the team to the playoffs his staying only delayed development of next QB
I don't think this is fair. I don't think as a program we can say playoffs or bust for what we've been historically. 3 winning seasons, 4 if you count Covid spring, are nothing for us to sneeze or turn our nose up at. The last time we accomplished that were the 82-85 seasons. We're still in program building mode with the renovated stadium on the horizon, and stacking winning seasons going into the capital campaign and a renovated stadium has value.

I hope he is all that people are expecting, but I would not have put him in this season instead of Hill. Hindsight is 20/20 and it so easy to say so and so should have played more after it is all over.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

R.Kelly150 wrote: 4 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago

I hope he is all that people are expecting, but I would not have put him in this season instead of Hill. Hindsight is 20/20 and it so easy to say so and so should have played more after it is all over.
I’m not saying it after the season is over. I was saying and thinking it during the season.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

What's the word on Hunter Helms. Is he starting QB material or is Farrell the #1 regardless and Hunter is backup
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

From GoRhody…….

KINGSTON, R.I. - Rhode Island Football added a pair of transfers to its roster for the upcoming spring semester in offensive lineman Jordan Cooper and quarterback Hunter Helms.

Head coach Jim Fleming has already announced the signings of 10 other student-athletes for the 2024 season, a group that is made up of two true freshmen and eight transfers.

Jordan Cooper
Offensive Lineman
Dallas, Texas | Northwestern State
6-3 | 315
Two years of eligibility
A Texas native, Cooper brings experience to Rhode Island having appeared in 16 games for Northwestern State, including all six that the team played in 2023. Strong in the classroom, he earned Southland Conference Commissioner's Honor Roll recognition and has a degree in computer information systems. Cooper has experience as a starter, having earned the nod in nine outings. He is a stout lineman with a low center of gravity.

Lead Recruiter Eddy Morrissey on Cooper
"Jordan is a big, strong, athletic player that will help us continue the tradition of outstanding offensive linemen that play for the University of Rhode Island. He plays hard and will compete for a spot immediately. I'm excited about the toughness, physicality and high character that he will add to our program."

Hunter Helms
Quarterback
West Columbia, S.C. | Clemson
6-2 | 215
Two years of eligibility
A walk-on turned scholarship recipient, Helms broke onto the scene at Clemson when he had a two-touchdown performance at Georgia Tech as a true freshman in 2020. Over nine games with the Tigers from 2020-23, where he played behind the No. 1 overall pick of the 2021 NFL Draft in Trevor Lawrence, he completed 23-of-37 passes for 218 yards in addition to rushing four times for 13 yards. Helms earned a degree in construction science & management and will be pursuing an MBA at Rhode Island. With a pair of ACC Championship Game victories under his belt, he will look to help the Rams make a postseason push.

Lead Recruiter Patrick Murphy on Helms
"Hunter is a dual-threat quarterback with experience at the highest level in a nationally-prominent FBS program. He brings great size and has a big, extremely accurate arm. His game is also bolstered by his high football IQ and he will offer elite leadership skills to our locker room."

https://gorhody.com/news/2024/1/5/coope ... tball.aspx
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Fleming is here to stay as long as he wants. We have never had someone attract talent like this in the history of the program.

He just needs a player that can be a coach on the field, and it looks like he just landed it.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 3 months ago Fleming is here to stay as long as he wants. We have never had someone attract talent like this in the history of the program.

He just needs a player that can be a coach on the field, and it looks like he just landed it.
And he has assembled and retained key coaches who are solid in recruiting freshmen AND transfers

This guy graduated and willow get his MBA at URI. And he has 2 years of football eligibility and he gets to see a bunch of money spent on stadium improvements
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

All Nice comments on a thread in the Clemson Message Board

Especially liked this comment............

Re: TNET: Former Clemson QB signs with new school
Jan 5, 2024, 8:09 PM
Hope to get to watch Rhode Island next fall. Can you imagine finishing school with no debt and a CSM degree with an MBA? Awesome for you, Hunter!
Go Tigers!

https://www.tigernet.com/clemson-forum/ ... 0?tstart=0
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

How good is this kid? He was a walk-on, so he wasn't heavily recruited, although he did eventually get a scholarship from Clemson as a backup QB.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

He was ranked the #110 pro style QB in his high school graduating class with offers from Holy Cross, Bryant, Campbell, Charleston Southern, Chattanooga, Elon, Lehigh, Liberty, Troy, and Southern Florida. I'm not finding a list of other offers as a transfer
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

How does his ranking and offers compared to that of Farrell.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Ranked the #56 QB in his class with offers from Buffalo, Coastal Carolina, Duke, Georgia State, Georgia Tech, Jacksonville State, Liberty, UAB, Utah State, Vanderbilt, and Wake Forest
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

"Helms, a West Columbia native who played in-state at Gray Collegiate Academy, beat out Alabama/Arizona State transfer Paul Tyson and true freshman Christopher Vizzina for Clemson’s No. 2 quarterback position behind Klubnik. But he didn’t take any significant snaps in 2023, as Klubnik was never benched or injured."

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college ... 97718.html

If you have access, might be interesting to look up the stats of the two quarterbacks he beat out.
0 x
FmrRamFB1
Michael Andersen

Unread post by FmrRamFB1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 months ago He was ranked the #110 pro style QB in his high school graduating class with offers from Holy Cross, Bryant, Campbell, Charleston Southern, Chattanooga, Elon, Lehigh, Liberty, Troy, and Southern Florida. I'm not finding a list of other offers as a transfer
Attachments
He had plenty of options
He had plenty of options
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

We may not have the playoff appearances, but it would seem Fleming has us in a position of rising respect. Hence, so many talented athletics are considering this program these days.

Fleming himself is one of the few coaches out there, that no other coach has a bad thing to say about. And, yeah, I get that some of that has to do with URI being a doormat for several years and not a serious contender in the past. But, now, that URI is a primary rival to those coaches, they still don't have anything bad to say about Fleming. He's known as a straight shooter. He doesn't go for low blows. Doesn't use ratchet plays. He doesn't run up the score on other teams.

If this were pro wrestling, he'd be a proverbial "baby face". "Gentleman Jim". He's a good fit for URI.

If URI wants to get to the next level, they have to up their speed and intensity. I was watching that South Dakota State v. Montana game. Those SDSU players just fly, and expect the ball to be there. They don't think, just react. They barely look over their shoulder on a passing route for a split second when the ball is meant to be there and then they catch it and go without breaking stride.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The hope is that the success we've had the last few years and the stadium renovation on the horizon will continue to elevate the players that will come here
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

FmrRamFB1 wrote: 3 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 months ago He was ranked the #110 pro style QB in his high school graduating class with offers from Holy Cross, Bryant, Campbell, Charleston Southern, Chattanooga, Elon, Lehigh, Liberty, Troy, and Southern Florida. I'm not finding a list of other offers as a transfer
Thank you for sharing. Good point by Dabo, but just like all our guys, that position is up for grabs and he will have to come in and compete. We've had quite a few D1 drop downs come in and barely see the field. We've also had some come in and make major impacts. Will be exciting to watch and see who wins the starting spot.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Not sure where to put it- Per Pete Thamel Secondary Coach Brandon Napolean is moving to Jacksonville State. He had recently joined the staff last year from Sacred Heart (with no inside information I wonder if he was the source of our pipeline from SHU).
Seems like a real motivated guy with a bright future. Has amassed quite the following with a very active social media presence, presenting at clinics and conventions etc. Wish him the best!
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Wow, what a journey. If you go to his twitter account, he originally committed to URI for this past season two years ago, but then decommitted and went to Navy instead. Now, two years later he goes into the portal and decides to come to Rhody again.

Looks like a great prospect. 4 years of eligibility left.

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Off topic but the Pats interviewed for a def coordinator today Tem Lukabu and he coached linebackers for URI in 2008-09 anyone remember him ?
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I don't see either of the transfers pushing Farrell.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 2 months ago I don't see either of the transfers pushing Farrell.
That's interesting. You are usually pretty plugged in, so I'm sure you aren't just making it up/throwing it out there. I go back to Dabo's quote about don't transfer to be the back up when you are the back up here.
If Farrell is head and shoulders above the others, it hopefully reflects on his quality, and not the lack of quality in the other options!
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

It would seem the coaching staff hasn’t seen enough from Farrell to make him the Heir apparent to Hill. Obviously, the staff should always look to build depth at any position, especially at QB, regardless of how good the starter is, as you never know what could happen during the course of a season.
0 x
Rhody Blue
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody Blue »

This had been posted already so I deleted....
0 x
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Spring practice started up earlier this week. Will be interesting to hear if any information starts to leak out about how things are going etc.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue & White Scrimmage one month from today
0 x