12/21 | New Hampshire | 6:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Re: 12/21 | New Hampshire | 6:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I don't know if Hammond is the guy (hopefully), but we need a great PG. That will solve a lot of issues. And of course we can use a 5-star (or 4-star) big man! Easier said than done.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I'm going to ask this here, but I'm sure once the NE game preview it will be discussed.
What happens if URI loses to NE or wins by a slim margin?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

SimpleJack wrote: 4 months ago Look I love all of you, I respect all of you, I would go to battle for all of you, we are all bonded together over the same passion. But I can’t just stay quiet anymore. How many of you here actually know anything about variance? Sample size? Patience!? The entitlement here is insane. For now on I’m gonna start referring to some of you as Brayon Freeman’s dad. Last years roster was 2/3 comprised of the old regimes players. Archie has had 12 games with his own guys. A roster with not a single senior on it (clearly built for the future) that has the potential to be together again next year and add some good freshman. Yeah let’s just dismiss it all and start over with someone new. That’ll get us to where we want to be. If this roster falls apart in the offseason I am convinced it is because of the toxicity from this crowd on here and on Twitter. Some of you complain about how kids transfer because they don’t get playing time immediately and how weak that is. If you’re passionately complaining about Archie already at this stage, then I hate to break it to you but you are no different from those entitled kids that transfer as soon as something doesn’t go their way. I suggest some of you sit back and quit being so emotional about everything. Or don’t, and keep setting us back. Not every opinion on here is qualified and it shows. Guys relax. It’s nowhere near as bad as some are making it out to be. Don’t be a prisoner of the moment.
Let me pose this question: if Archie had the team performing near the top of the A10 this year, wouldn't we be singing his praises? He can't bask in all the glory when things are going well and then avoid scrutiny when things take a downturn. I've never grasped the notion that a coach should receive a complete pass simply because it's still in the rebuilding phase. It's reasonable to temper expectations, which I believe most of us did this year.

However, if you're consistently outcoached and enduring a significant losing streak as we are now, there isn't a fan base anywhere that wouldn't feel frustrated – that's just the nature of sports. Sure, a few people might be overreacting. Those suggesting Archie should be fired are premature; it's far too early for such drastic measures. Few had unrealistic expectations of landing a bid this year; many didn't even anticipate an NIT invite. Most of us wanted to witness improved coaching, better players, and a team showing progress throughout the season. At the start of the season, we saw glimpses of this. Our team appeared cohesive, well-coached, and driven – to the extent that some believed we could compete against teams like Northwestern.

The reason for concern, shared by myself and others, is how steeply Archie's performance has declined since then. Poor rotations, disengaged players, and being consistently outcoached by low-major coaches have been worrisome. It's not about who's coaching; any URI coach losing to Brown and New Hampshire at home would draw negative comments from the fan base, especially on a message board frequented by passionate fans.

I'm not saying Archie can't pull this out and fix things. I think he can do it. I actually disagree with others who say we don't have enough talent. I love the potential of younger guys like Fou, Cam, Fuchs, Hammond etc... He possesses a brilliant basketball mind. However, we're navigating a new era in college basketball, and it's uncertain whether he can thrive in this evolved landscape
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

rjv wrote: 4 months ago I'm going to ask this here, but I'm sure once the NE game preview it will be discussed.
We just need to win. It can be by 1 or 1000. This team desperately needs a win before conference play to get some sort of momentum back..
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Any way you slice it, if players are slacking it's a huge issue.
Only 2 ways to fix it.
Either bench or shitcan them, or change the coach
Totally unacceptable.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

rjv wrote: 4 months ago I'm going to ask this here, but I'm sure once the NE game preview it will be discussed.
Nothing will change if they lose. The players will only continue to lose confidence, and Archie will continue to bring up the defense in his post-game interviews. I will complain about Archie over here and say he doesn't deserve 3 more years, and my take will be shot down lol.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rhodyram22 wrote: 4 months ago
Nothing will change if they lose. The players will only continue to lose confidence, and Archie will continue to bring up the defense in his post-game interviews. I will complain about Archie over here and say he doesn't deserve 3 more years, and my take will be shot down lol.
You got that right. If you think Archie is going soon , you better take a break from the board.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 months ago
SimpleJack wrote: 4 months ago Look I love all of you, I respect all of you, I would go to battle for all of you, we are all bonded together over the same passion. But I can’t just stay quiet anymore. How many of you here actually know anything about variance? Sample size? Patience!? The entitlement here is insane. For now on I’m gonna start referring to some of you as Brayon Freeman’s dad. Last years roster was 2/3 comprised of the old regimes players. Archie has had 12 games with his own guys. A roster with not a single senior on it (clearly built for the future) that has the potential to be together again next year and add some good freshman. Yeah let’s just dismiss it all and start over with someone new. That’ll get us to where we want to be. If this roster falls apart in the offseason I am convinced it is because of the toxicity from this crowd on here and on Twitter. Some of you complain about how kids transfer because they don’t get playing time immediately and how weak that is. If you’re passionately complaining about Archie already at this stage, then I hate to break it to you but you are no different from those entitled kids that transfer as soon as something doesn’t go their way. I suggest some of you sit back and quit being so emotional about everything. Or don’t, and keep setting us back. Not every opinion on here is qualified and it shows. Guys relax. It’s nowhere near as bad as some are making it out to be. Don’t be a prisoner of the moment.
Let me pose this question: if Archie had the team performing near the top of the A10 this year, wouldn't we be singing his praises? He can't bask in all the glory when things are going well and then avoid scrutiny when things take a downturn. I've never grasped the notion that a coach should receive a complete pass simply because it's still in the rebuilding phase. It's reasonable to temper expectations, which I believe most of us did this year.

However, if you're consistently outcoached and enduring a significant losing streak as we are now, there isn't a fan base anywhere that wouldn't feel frustrated – that's just the nature of sports. Sure, a few people might be overreacting. Those suggesting Archie should be fired are premature; it's far too early for such drastic measures. Few had unrealistic expectations of landing a bid this year; many didn't even anticipate an NIT invite. Most of us wanted to witness improved coaching, better players, and a team showing progress throughout the season. At the start of the season, we saw glimpses of this. Our team appeared cohesive, well-coached, and driven – to the extent that some believed we could compete against teams like Northwestern.

The reason for concern, shared by myself and others, is how steeply Archie's performance has declined since then. Poor rotations, disengaged players, and being consistently outcoached by low-major coaches have been worrisome. It's not about who's coaching; any URI coach losing to Brown and New Hampshire at home would draw negative comments from the fan base, especially on a message board frequented by passionate fans.

I'm not saying Archie can't pull this out and fix things. I think he can do it. I actually disagree with others who say we don't have enough talent. I love the potential of younger guys like Fou, Cam, Fuchs, Hammond etc... He possesses a brilliant basketball mind. However, we're navigating a new era in college basketball, and it's uncertain whether he can thrive in this evolved landscape
Stevey, your last sentence is key for me and I think others on the board have posted similarly the possibility that over the next few years we may see a significant coaching shakeout due the transfer environment. I tend to agree with that sentiment. There will be coaches that adapt and those that can’t or won’t.

That said, I don’t know where Archie may fall but, I hope it is to adapt and overcome while at Rhody. But, I don’t know Archie personally; I don’t know what he’s thinking or how driven he is at this point in his life.

I think the future of the program depends on his ability to adapt and make us relevant again. If we are two years in the future and he has failed then I am very concerned that we could potentially lose so much ground in that time to other programs (especially the P6) that our ability to become relevant again could be damaged beyond fixing short of a miracle or pure luck.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 months ago We dont defend the 3 and we can't make FT's
But 13 for 24 is even good in the no defense NBA.
From what I see, the current back downs occur with not enough pressure on the ball(stop the ball) cause we get back slowly. After a couple of passes, the pressure on ball is lost with players positioning more in the paint and not perimeter. Sorry to go into the weeds here, but it is what I see. More sluff and off than making all offensive players uncomfortable.
Last edited by section(105) 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 months ago
Not Mike Powell wrote: 4 months ago For what it’s worth, URI was 4-6 vs. Archie Miller Dayton teams from 2011-2017.
Back when Archie was the best coach in the A-10 and ran the best program in the A-10.

I remember those Dayton teams playing such unselfish, beautiful basketball with routinely one of the best offenses and defenses in the country.

Remember the Dayton team he had that had the two bigs kicked off the team? He was playing with what 5 scholarship players? Playing 6'6 Kendall Pollard at center with 6'6 walk on Bobby Wehrli coming in to spell him and DeShawn Pierre. That team went and won two NCAA games including waxing Providence.

How in the actual f**k is this the same coach?
That was year four for him. Year one he went to the NIT, year 2 they went 17-14 (7-9). It wasn't instant success there and he wasn't facing the rebuild he is here. But apparently we should make judgements on him 43 games into his time here when he's trying to complete a massive rebuild
I thought it was the function of a message board to make judgments every single day?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

NE lost by 2 to Vermont and Virginia 2 teams way better than us so I think it will be a close game
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 4 months ago
NE lost by 2 to Vermont and Virginia 2 teams way better than us so I think it will be a close game
We will start the conference play with 0-0 record. From there who knows?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

That makes it sound like Rhody loses....not close. :(
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

section(105) wrote: 4 months ago
We will start the conference play with 0-0 record. From there who knows?
Many of us! “You can’t get water out of a dry rock”
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

SimpleJack wrote: 4 months ago

You misread me, I said year two
I know you said year 2, and I'm counting year 1 as well. Last year was a train wreck, this year is starting to look like one again. Archie's being paid way too much money to lose to UNH and Brown in the same season.
Year one should be counted, I wasn’t omitting it. But we should take last years results with a grain of salt knowing that Archie was coaching David Cox’ players. I fully understand the frustration over losing at home to Brown and UNH. It shouldn’t happen. But it does not in the slightest imply that Archie can’t coach. Variance plays a big part in sports so it’s best not to be a prisoner of the moment. Give it more time. We were in a very bad spot when Archie took over, thanks to the damage from the previous regime. I’ve seen signs of hope again under Archie that hadn’t been seen in many years. The improvement is happening. This years team is better than last years team. I’m willing to bet that next years team will be better than this years team. In the big picture, the results in the short term should matter very little for now. Much like it did back in Hurley’s first two seasons.
Ugh stop with your logical posts rooted in reality with appropriate context given.

These kind of posts have no place here!
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

What evidence do we have that this team is better than last years? I believe that they are more talented offensively overall, but this is a team sport that entails offense and defense, and so far this team stinks. Also, the fact that UNH had the most talented players on the floor is another indictment on this coaching staff…that in no universe should ever be the case.
Last edited by RIFan 4 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Back to the game thread..........

At the end of the game and about the end of the handshake line things got hot with some players.

As New Hampshire was finished with handshakes, about 20 feet in front of the scorers table the UNH Coaches were herding and pulling some UNH Players away from The URI players and staff. Some finger pointing and voices started to raise just a bit. Players and Coaches quickly separated. URI exits by The URI Bench Corner. Visitors exit the opposite corner of the floor.

Most URI fans were already headed for the exits with 4 minutes and under to go so not many still around to possibly see this little skirmish.

I could kick myself for not videoing the handshake line because it can sometimes be interesting.

Anybody see this?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 4 months ago Back to the game thread..........

At the end of the game and about the end of the handshake line things got hot with some players.

As New Hampshire was finished with handshakes, about 20 feet in front of the scorers table the UNH Coaches were herding and pulling some UNH Players away from The URI players and staff. Some finger pointing and voices started to raise just a bit. Players and Coaches quickly separated. URI exits by The URI Bench Corner. Visitors exit the opposite corner of the floor.

Most URI fans were already headed for the exits with 4 minutes and under to go so not many still around to possibly see this little skirmish.

I could kick myself for not videoing the handshake line because it can sometimes be interesting.

Anybody see this?
Wasn't there, but that may have been the most energy/emotion our players shown all night.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

It's kinda hilarious when you think about it.

We're a historically underperforming, irrelevant program relatively speaking.

Yet we have 2 good years in 20 because of one coach. The best thing is about that is, that the 2 years of winning with that one coach was preceded by people wanting that coach fired only a few months before he started all the winning.

So excuse me if I don't decide to start listening to the same people that wanted Dan Hurley fired when they say that we should thing about moving on from Archie.

TL;DR - I don't listen to when some of you boo, because I've seen what makes you cheer.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Given the results of this double digit home loss to UNH, I was wondering where URI would rate in the present America East. Per the preseason conference poll, UNH was picked to finish in eighth place in the nine team league. It would then appear that Rhody would likely vie for the worst team in the AE just as is the case with its position in the A-10. For URI, playing in the America East would be a lateral move relative to standing. That is a pretty sad indictment on the state of Rhody basketball.
Last edited by RF1 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Anything can happen and they can figure it out and go on a winning streak too. That would certainly change how we see and talk about them. But right now all we have to go on is what we see. Sorry that we don’t have a crystal ball…or not, depending on what it would say.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Anybody see this?
Ramster, maybe someone got offended by an unsolicited attempt at postgame handshake portalpalooza speed dating. Just a guess on my part.

Postgame handshake lines are great places to suggest portal hook-ups. :D
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 4 months ago Given the results of this double digit home to UNH, I was wondering where URI would rate in the present America East. Per the preseason conference poll, UNH was picked to finish in eighth place in the nine team league. It would then appear that Rhody would likely vie for the worst team in the AE just as is the case with its position in the A-10. For URI, playing in the America East would be a lateral move relative to standing. That is a pretty sad indictment on the state of Rhody basketball.
I don't know if I would go quite that far yet RF1.
Yeah, our OOC has been disappointing with some bad losses, but I am not ready to throw in the towel yet.
Even the Bonnies lost to Canisius and St. Joe's to A&M Commerce.
Let's see how the rest of the season plays out, things can always flip for the better.
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I know it's hard to prove after the fact, but I never felt this way about Hurley. After all that time with Jerry D and Jim Baron, I figured, the fan base can be patient and give him however much time was needed. Hurley was a MAXIMUM energy guy, and his players played like that. So, that gets a long leash from me. Whatever was going on out there, even after that infamous Fordham game, it was still better than what we had from at least the year 2000.

That being said, I don't necessary think just because it was inevitable that Hurley was going to succeed, that automatically means Miller is going to duplicate that this time around. There are plenty of red flags all over the place. The team is actually worse than last year. Last year, it was expected the team would be bad. This year, it wasn't necessarily expected. This team, actually looks worse, to the casual fan, than Cox playing the Mitchel twins. You could forgive someone for turning on one of these last four games for the first time and saying, what the hell happened to this team? Aren't they supposed to have a good coach now?

And now, with the current free agency, are we going to turn the entire roster over every year, hoping that one year we finally get the right mix of talent to implement Archie's game plan? That is apparently beautiful when executed with superior talent, or so I'm told. I'll have to go back 8 years and watch an Archie Dayton team game to try and see what that actually looks like.

Hurley was a young coach on the upswing, from Wagner. Archie was someone who got bounced from his last job. The Wagner fans were crying when we stole Dan. The Indiana fans tried to warn us about Archie and were ignored, we were told Indiana fans have unrealistic expectations (join the club). Technically, those were two people moving in completely different directions when they got hired here.
4 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

So, is NH more talented than us?

Whether they are or not, their coach is certainly getting more out of them than our coach is.

I am a "show me" type of fan. When I see improvement I will acknowledge it. Right now there is none to be found.

We have some massive issues here. Not one or two but many.

Give us some hope. Anything!
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 4 months ago

Anybody see this?
Ramster, maybe someone got offended by an unsolicited attempt at postgame handshake portalpalooza speed dating. Just a guess on my part.

Yes, I saw it walking behind the scorers table. Didn’t think much of it, kinda a nothing burger for me.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Anybody see this?
I was in upper corner…didn’t notice anything unusual.
Certainly didn’t see any punches.
UNH kids just looked happy when they headed for the tunnel below me.
Rhody tunnel’s shower curtain was closed quickly.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Anybody see this?

Yes, I saw it walking behind the scorers table. Didn’t think much of it, kinda a nothing burger for me.
Yes. Seemed the coaches and possibly even some of the players broke it up quickly and got guts going in the right directions. Things like this can escalate quickly and this had a bit of an edge to it at the end.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 4 months ago

Yes. Seemed the coaches and possibly even some of the players broke it up quickly and got guts going in the right directions. Things like this can escalate quickly and this had a bit of an edge to it at the end.
Kudos to you for hanging in there that long...did they pay you extra to stay?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

jcru wrote: 4 months ago I know it's hard to prove after the fact, but I never felt this way about Hurley. After all that time with Jerry D and Jim Baron, I figured, the fan base can be patient and give him however much time was needed. Hurley was a MAXIMUM energy guy, and his players played like that. So, that gets a long leash from me. Whatever was going on out there, even after that infamous Fordham game, it was still better than what we had from at least the year 2000.

That being said, I don't necessary think just because it was inevitable that Hurley was going to succeed, that automatically means Miller is going to duplicate that this time around. There are plenty of red flags all over the place. The team is actually worse than last year. Last year, it was expected the team would be bad. This year, it wasn't necessarily expected. This team, actually looks worse, to the casual fan, than Cox playing the Mitchel twins. You could forgive someone for turning on one of these last four games for the first time and saying, what the hell happened to this team? Aren't they supposed to have a good coach now?

And now, with the current free agency, are we going to turn the entire roster over every year, hoping that one year we finally get the right mix of talent to implement Archie's game plan? That is apparently beautiful when executed with superior talent, or so I'm told. I'll have to go back 8 years and watch an Archie Dayton team game to try and see what that actually looks like.

Hurley was a young coach on the upswing, from Wagner. Archie was someone who got bounced from his last job. The Wagner fans were crying when we stole Dan. The Indiana fans tried to warn us about Archie and were ignored, we were told Indiana fans have unrealistic expectations (join the club). Technically, those were two people moving in completely different directions when they got hired here.
Yeah I’m starting to get that feeling a little bit too

I still believe in Arch and am hoping we can get some improvement once conf season begins but I admit I am pessimistic now based on the first 12 games
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Blue Man wrote: 4 months ago

I know you said year 2, and I'm counting year 1 as well. Last year was a train wreck, this year is starting to look like one again. Archie's being paid way too much money to lose to UNH and Brown in the same season.
Year one should be counted, I wasn’t omitting it. But we should take last years results with a grain of salt knowing that Archie was coaching David Cox’ players. I fully understand the frustration over losing at home to Brown and UNH. It shouldn’t happen. But it does not in the slightest imply that Archie can’t coach. Variance plays a big part in sports so it’s best not to be a prisoner of the moment. Give it more time. We were in a very bad spot when Archie took over, thanks to the damage from the previous regime. I’ve seen signs of hope again under Archie that hadn’t been seen in many years. The improvement is happening. This years team is better than last years team. I’m willing to bet that next years team will be better than this years team. In the big picture, the results in the short term should matter very little for now. Much like it did back in Hurley’s first two seasons.
Ugh stop with your logical posts rooted in reality with appropriate context given.

These kind of posts have no place here!
Wait a second here...you mean fans shouldn't dissect each loss to the point of insanity and use it to draw overbroad conclusions about the state of the program? You mean big conclusions should wait to be drawn until there's a full picture? And you don't think Archie thought he'd have the program completely righted 1/3rd of the way into his 2nd season?

How dare you imply that!
Last edited by PlayMikeMotenMore 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Yes, because you had a completely different approach when your dad was head coach and you were posting as DCRams
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 months ago

Back when Archie was the best coach in the A-10 and ran the best program in the A-10.

I remember those Dayton teams playing such unselfish, beautiful basketball with routinely one of the best offenses and defenses in the country.

Remember the Dayton team he had that had the two bigs kicked off the team? He was playing with what 5 scholarship players? Playing 6'6 Kendall Pollard at center with 6'6 walk on Bobby Wehrli coming in to spell him and DeShawn Pierre. That team went and won two NCAA games including waxing Providence.

How in the actual f**k is this the same coach?
That was year four for him. Year one he went to the NIT, year 2 they went 17-14 (7-9). It wasn't instant success there and he wasn't facing the rebuild he is here. But apparently we should make judgements on him 43 games into his time here when he's trying to complete a massive rebuild
I thought it was the function of a message board to make judgments every single day?
There's a difference between making judgements on a game and season and making judgements on whether the head coach should be fired less than halfway through season 2, especially a coach with Archie's pedigree
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 4 months ago
It's kinda hilarious when you think about it.

We're a historically underperforming, irrelevant program relatively speaking.

Yet we have 2 good years in 20 because of one coach. The best thing is about that is, that the 2 years of winning with that one coach was preceded by people wanting that coach fired only a few months before he started all the winning.

So excuse me if I don't decide to start listening to the same people that wanted Dan Hurley fired when they say that we should thing about moving on from Archie.

TL;DR - I don't listen to when some of you boo, because I've seen what makes you cheer.
To your last point, a lot of the same people booing Archie the loudest now were the most vocal when it came to saying we needed to keep Cox cause he was going to turn it around anytime now, despite literally all evidence to the contrary
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 4 months ago I know it's hard to prove after the fact, but I never felt this way about Hurley. After all that time with Jerry D and Jim Baron, I figured, the fan base can be patient and give him however much time was needed. Hurley was a MAXIMUM energy guy, and his players played like that. So, that gets a long leash from me. Whatever was going on out there, even after that infamous Fordham game, it was still better than what we had from at least the year 2000.

First, anyone that thinks that this team, as bad as it's been, is worse than the last two Cox teams isn't a fan of basketball, casual or otherwise.

Second, Dan made his first tournament here at 43, Archie is only 45 now. People forget how young Archie is because he's been a head coach in our conference and Indiana so long. Maybe he's totally washed up, but that would be pretty abnormal for a coach at that age
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

First, anyone that thinks that this team, as bad as it's been, is worse than the last two Cox teams isn't a fan of basketball, casual or otherwise.

Second, Dan made his first tournament here at 43, Archie is only 45 now. People forget how young Archie is because he's been a head coach in our conference and Indiana so long. Maybe he's totally washed up, but that would be pretty abnormal for a coach at that age
Archie certainly isn't washed up and yes, he is still young.
Times are a little more difficult now, but I do expect that things will improve from here.
It is still too early to make a determination on just how good/bad this team is but somewhat disappointing so far.
I didn't expect a whole lot this season, so my biggest concern is what our roster will look like in 24-25.
I like the potential of our young players, hopefully they return along with a few other core pieces.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago First, anyone that thinks that this team, as bad as it's been, is worse than the last two Cox teams isn't a fan of basketball, casual or otherwise.
You might want to inform a few thousand fans throughout the state and elsewhere, who watch this team on tv and internet stream, because that is the buzz right now: that Cox could have done just as good at 700k a year (or just as bad, depending on how you personally see it). In fact, the quote is "Cox really wasn't that bad. His teams were at least competitive". That's the pulse when people watch this season's team.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Those people don't know what they're talking about, are PC fans, hate URI and want to bitch about the salary of the head coach or some combination of the three. No matter what, I don't care about their opinion because it's less valuable than the soiled toilet paper I flushed five minutes ago
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

They aren't PC fans, they are URI Alumni, and well, #3 you may have a point, but I don't think that is it.

URI fans are not like they people you meet on these forums, they are cynical as hell, and you need to show them something, which is always why they don't flock to the Ryan Center unless the team is good.

Also explains why they have warmed to the football team since just before the pandemic, and why we are getting a brand new stadium side for football.

And time will tell who is correct, but it's not looking good at the moment. Hopefully Archie intends to "release the Kraken" for the conference slate.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago

There's a difference between making judgements on a game and season and making judgements on whether the head coach should be fired less than halfway through season 2, especially a coach with Archie's pedigree
That sounds kinda judgy?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 4 months ago They aren't PC fans, they are URI Alumni, and well, #3 you may have a point, but I don't think that is it.

URI fans are not like they people you meet on these forums, they are cynical as hell, and you need to show them something, which is always why they don't flock to the Ryan Center unless the team is good.

Also explains why they have warmed to the football team since just before the pandemic, and why we are getting a brand new stadium side for football.

And time will tell who is correct, but it's not looking good at the moment. Hopefully Archie intends to "release the Kraken" for the conference slate.
My like was for "release the Kraken"...great phrase (I don't know about all the rest)
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

jcru wrote: 4 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago First, anyone that thinks that this team, as bad as it's been, is worse than the last two Cox teams isn't a fan of basketball, casual or otherwise.
You might want to inform a few thousand fans throughout the state and elsewhere, who watch this team on tv and internet stream, because that is the buzz right now: that Cox could have done just as good at 700k a year (or just as bad, depending on how you personally see it). In fact, the quote is "Cox really wasn't that bad. His teams were at least competitive". That's the pulse when people watch this season's team.
The URI coaching salary is set at about $2.5M a year. It's not going to change. It's a budget item now.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

rambone 78 wrote: 4 months ago This is pathetic.

I'm out have seen enough.

This team is worse than last years.

We thought Cox was bad. Think again.

Paying 1.7 mil a year to win maybe 10 games.

Actually doubt that will happen

Miller has no clue. Cox 2.0
After URI beats Davidson, I love going back and reading old posts from previous games. High comedy.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 months ago

After URI beats Davidson, I love going back and reading old posts from previous games. High comedy.
Also people said we’d lose to both UNH and NE, not win 10 games this year, blah blah blah
0 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Name me a fanbase that wouldn’t get upset after losing five games in a row with two of them being at home against Brown and New Hampshire?
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 months ago

Name me a fanbase that wouldn’t get upset after losing five games in a row with two of them being at home against Brown and New Hampshire?
Upset is fair game.

The problem is the race to declare seasons or coaching careers final in December - which is an unfortunate theme here.

Lots of L takes and L posts with L likes questioning whether our top tier coach is good anymore - like he forgot how to be one of the best coaches in basketball while he rebuilds this program from nothing.

Long way to go this season - there will still be downs and ups and downs again. But this idea that we have the wrong coach and we need to move on every time we lose should just die.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Blue Man wrote: 3 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 3 months ago

Upset is fair game.

The problem is the race to declare seasons or coaching careers final in December - which is an unfortunate theme here.

Lots of L takes and L posts with L likes questioning whether our top tier coach is good anymore - like he forgot how to be one of the best coaches in basketball while he rebuilds this program from nothing.

Long way to go this season - there will still be downs and ups and downs again. But this idea that we have the wrong coach and we need to move on every time we lose should just die.
Well said, Blue Man. To echo this, is everyone bipolar who posts? All fans are disappointed when their team loses or stinks up the joint. And conversely, fans are happy when the team wins. It's the over-the-top posts on both ends of the spectrum declaring finality of season, player, and coaching statuses that just wear people out and you lose credibility.

I've said before that things are never as good or as bad as they seem at any one moment in time.
4 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

A big piece of the puzzle was the out-of-nowhere ruling by the NCAA that freed up David Green.

Needless to say, David Green has exceeded expectations, particularly based on the Louisiana Tech game films we saw over the summer.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

jcru wrote: 3 months ago A big piece of the puzzle was the out-of-nowhere ruling by the NCAA that freed up David Green.

Needless to say, David Green has exceeded expectations, particularly based on the Louisiana Tech game films we saw over the summer.
I disagree. Those who watched him take over in the scrimmage expected exactly this. Usually people swat any positivity about incoming players down.

The staff throughout the summer said he’d be out best player, so this is pretty much what a lot of us had been saying.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 3 months ago
jcru wrote: 3 months ago A big piece of the puzzle was the out-of-nowhere ruling by the NCAA that freed up David Green.

I disagree. Those who watched him take over in the scrimmage expected exactly this. Usually people swat any positivity about incoming players down.

The staff throughout the summer said he’d be out best player, so this is pretty much what a lot of us had been saying.
I believe part of Jcru’s response was to PMMM’s comment:
After URI beats Davidson, I love going back and reading old posts from previous games. High comedy.”

I think by coming back and commenting specifically on Rambone post back before Christmas in the UNH game thread where we were at a bottom due to 5 straight losses is that the eligibility of Green came out of nowhere. And in fact it did. Nobody expected it. Even Miller had little faith in his eligibility once the December 1st appeal denial was announced. We all learned Green wasn’t even working out with the team anymore, but working out on his own to prepare for next season.

So yes the team is better now, but consider nobody saw the Court decision coming freeing all ineligible transfers.

Did I interpret your response correctly Jcru?
0 x