Conference Realignment

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Conference Realignment

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jersey77 wrote: 4 months ago
rhodyrudder wrote: 4 months ago They both have to…
No question about it.
IMO we need to get out of the A-10 too.
Can’t waste any more time as the bottom team in a 15-deep 1-bid league.
6 years ago, we obviously felt like at-large bids could be had.
I don’t see another one coming.

So we should join America East, and play in a 10-team 1-bid with similar schools.

Just my take.
I could be wrong, but I don't think we built the RC, our new practice facility, brought in Archie with that compensation package, and increased the staff's salary pool, just so we can end up in the AEC. NOT.
Maybe then, we could finally be known as the "Gonzaga of the America East"?
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Who’s left in the A-10 after UMass leaves?
Old rivalries: st joe, st bona, gw & Duquesne

The 9 newcomers: fordham, LaSalle, mason, vcu, Richmond.
With davidson, st louis, Dayton & loyola.

I frankly don’t see much if anything in common with a single one of those schools & our rivalries with st bona & Duquesne really aren’t much to speak of.

I know basketball drives the bus, but the 8 public AEC schools plus Bryant feel like a better fit for soccer baseball track etc.
And the basketball might be a step up too.

I’d rather be a big fish playing Vermont in the final for an auto bid than struggling to beat Dayton VCU Davidson St Joe & St Bona in 5 days.

Obviously the A-10 historically has been better, but who knows going forward?

The teams that have departed: Temple, UMass, Rutgers & WVU. Xavier, Butler, almost forgot Penn State and Va Tech.

I’m obviously not the one making the decision, but our place right now is less than desirable.

I miss the old days of the tournament at the Palestra, or even Atlantic City.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote: 3 months ago Who’s left in the A-10 after UMass leaves?

I frankly don’t see much if anything in common with a single one of those schools & our rivalries with st bona & Duquesne really aren’t much to speak of.

I know basketball drives the bus, but the 8 public AEC schools plus Bryant feel like a better fit for soccer baseball track etc.

I’d rather be a big fish playing Vermont in the final for an auto bid than struggling to beat Dayton VCU Davidson St Joe & St Bona in 5 days.

The teams that have departed: Temple, UMass, Rutgers & WVU. Xavier, Butler, almost forgot Penn State and Va Tech.

I’m obviously not the one making the decision, but our place right now is less than desirable.

Gonzaga of the [
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 3 months ago Who’s left in the A-10 after UMass leaves?

Not just historically.
The A10 is currently ranked #8 in the NET and RPI, the AEC is #20.

Somehow, I don't think Thorr (Chair A10 AD's) will go for your idea.

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah count me out on a conference that is mid to low D1
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago The real answer is to form a new conference with Davidson, Dayton, Richmond, St. Bonaventure, Saint Joseph's, Saint Louis, and VCU. Then be ultra selective with our final two invites.

Take the most valuable programs, the ones that actually invest in basketball and don't play in high school gyms, and create a leaner conference that isn't pissing money away to schools that don't give a shit
10000% This.

See if you can shop it to a TV network/streaming service. See if you can entice Wichita State and College of Charleston to join. Those seem like logical geographically/competitively/infrasturally similar programs to the rest of that list.

That's a 10 team high major that would immediately jump ahead of the A10 and rightfully compete with the Mountain West for top non-P6 conference.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 3 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago The real answer is to form a new conference with Davidson, Dayton, Richmond, St. Bonaventure, Saint Joseph's, Saint Louis, and VCU. Then be ultra selective with our final two invites.

Take the most valuable programs, the ones that actually invest in basketball and don't play in high school gyms, and create a leaner conference that isn't pissing money away to schools that don't give a shit
10000% This.

See if you can shop it to a TV network/streaming service. See if you can entice Wichita State and College of Charleston to join. Those seem like logical geographically/competitively/infrasturally similar programs to the rest of that list.

That's a 10 team high major that would immediately jump ahead of the A10 and rightfully compete with the Mountain West for top non-P6 conference.
Good luck with that, would be nice though.
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago

10000% This.

I don't know how difficult it would be if Dayton, SLU and VCU are on board and motivated. When the old BE broke apart it seemed to happen quickly because those non-FB teams were united and motivated.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 months ago

10000% This.

I don't know how difficult it would be if Dayton, SLU and VCU are on board and motivated. When the old BE broke apart it seemed to happen quickly because those non-FB teams were united and motivated.
It didn’t hurt that the then Catholic 7 was bankrolled and brokered by a lucrative Fox Sports deal.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

It didn’t hurt that the then Catholic 7 was bankrolled and brokered by a lucrative Fox Sports deal.
And it would have been more lucrative if they had Syracuse, Louisville (with Pitino), Pitt, et al so I don't think it was the motivating factor but yes it certainly didn't hurt. I would think BM's hypothetical new conference could negotiate a solid tv package that would be better than what the A10 has now.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

And it would have been more lucrative if they had Syracuse, Louisville (with Pitino), Pitt, et al so I don't think it was the motivating factor but yes it certainly didn't hurt. I would think BM's hypothetical new conference could negotiate a solid tv package that would be better than what the A10 has now.
In absolute dollars it might not be more lucrative, but it would absolutely be more lucrative on a per school basis, which is the metric that matters
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 months ago

In absolute dollars it might not be more lucrative, but it would absolutely be more lucrative on a per school basis, which is the metric that matters
Ask Thorr about that, see what he says.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

10000% This.

Agreed - those 3 are the bellweather. (funny that SLU is in that "big 3" of the conference despite dancing once in a decade, and 4 times in their almost 20 years of conference membership, yet are dependable lately to woefully underperform in OOC)

They're in the "club" but really it's VCU and Dayton. Those are programs that any conference would be happy to grab from the A10 in the alignment wars still to come. If you get those 2 specifically on board, you latch on to them. Because if the A10 loses those 2 programs - we are an absolute nothingburger.

I'd hope Thorr/Parlange have been quietly having those conversations with those aforementioned programs. Because look at the Pac12. One or two top programs say "F this it's bad we can find better" and then the whole thing comes tumbling down. You don't want to be Oregon State or Washington State without a dance partner.

To be fair those two have technically been in the "leaches" category of the Pac12. There were some shifty low level others like Stanford and Cal that at least were able to jump ship to a halfway decent conference like the ACC. But Oregon State and Washington State had no plan and had to drop to the MWC.

We don't want to be in that group. We invest. There is a clear divide and RR02 nailed it. Davidson/St Joes/Bonnies are closer to the line than not (mainly because I think those are coach-centric programs that drop off without the legendary coaches that made them into what they are).

That said, there's an ocean of difference between history, investment, facilities, and fan support from those programs than I think you have with Fordham/Mason/GW/La Salle/Duquesne/Loyola.

Fordham's gym sucks and has money but never invests, never brought in a single penny to the conference coffers. Bye.
La Salle has one of the worst facilities in D1, their renovations will not change that, had one lucky run. Bye
GW's gym is garbage, team isn't the team it was in the 90s and playing an easy schedule this year doesn't change that. Bye.
Mason's never even been a top 25 program, never danced since Larranaga or their A10 start. Bye.
Duquesne is nothing but they've held onto a coach for the longest time in 40 years and started to at least kind of invest. Bye.
Loyola is a small school in chicago with a focus on academics and not sports. They don't belong in the A10. Bye.

Traditionally, this group probably averages a Q3 game for everyone in conference year in/year out. Need to get to the Big East model of less teams that aren't landmines if you want to get back to multiple bids. If 40% of your conference schedule winds up being garbage bag anchors, you will not get at large bids.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

So three and a half bad seasons, with a terrible home schedule, and we're still 6th in the A10 in attendance and Duquesne, Fordham, and La Salle don't have gyms big enough to hold our average attendance.

When someone tells you who they are, believe them. Duquesne, Fordham, and La Salle are all located in major metropolitan areas and have gyms that don't even try to bring in people from their broader communities. In 99 combined seasons where those three schools have been members of our conference and an NCAA tournament was played, they've gone to a combined two NCAA tournaments with 5 tournament games played. We just don't have enough going for us as a conference to survive deadweight like that
3 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I wouldn't describe Loyola Chicago, with 17,000 students and $1billion endowment, a small Catholic school. Also Loyola is the only school in Illinois to have ever won a national championship in basketball.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Do we want Loyola Chicago in this A10 or not ? I recall that was a huge pissing contest lol !
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

So 17,000 students, with a $1 billion endowment, in the country's third most populated city, but they only have a 4500 seat arena?

If they want to not be labeled a small catholic university then they need to stop acting like one.

The program as is absolutely does not belong in the A10. One of the conditions of them joining should have been a demand that they expand their current arena or build a new one. There is no excuse for an A10 school in Chicago to have an arena with a capacity any lower than 7000
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 months ago So 17,000 students, with a $1 billion endowment, in the country's third most populated city, but they only have a 4500 seat arena?

If they want to not be labeled a small catholic university then they need to stop acting like one.

The program as is absolutely does not belong in the A10. One of the conditions of them joining should have been a demand that they expand their current arena or build a new one. There is no excuse for an A10 school in Chicago to have an arena with a capacity any lower than 7000
Actually I care more about how competitive of a program they will be, than the size of their arena. We haven’t been setting any attendance records lately. Until we are out of the basement and become contenders, I am not throwing any stones.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Obadiah wrote: 3 months ago I wouldn't describe Loyola Chicago, with 17,000 students and $1billion endowment, a small Catholic school. Also Loyola is the only school in Illinois to have ever won a national championship in basketball.
I’ve been to that campus. Gun to my head I’d have guessed 5k enrollment. I’m shocked it’s that big.

There’s no excuse for them to be that historically terrible then, like Fordham. It’s not a priority. Be gone.

And a single championship in 1964 doesn’t count if we’re boasting about programs. Winning a title there is more a bar trivia “ah-ha” moment than an actual title. Nothing pre-75, or really 85 when it was a 64 team field counts.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 months ago So 17,000 students, with a $1 billion endowment, in the country's third most populated city, but they only have a 4500 seat arena?

Actually I care more about how competitive of a program they will be, than the size of their arena. We haven’t been setting any attendance records lately. Until we are out of the basement and become contenders, I am not throwing any stones.
Arena size is pretty damn good shorthand for how committed a school, and their fanbase, are to long term success. A 4500 seat arena when you have 17,000 students in the country's third most populated city shows that either Loyola Chicago is not committed to long term success in the A10 or they can't afford to be successful in the conference. Either way, they don't belong here
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Also, I despise this argument, and this is the type of argument you continue to throw out which has made me question you. We've been terrible for more than three years and we're 6th in the A10 in attendance. Loyola is averaging 2653 fans this year, that is less than UMass. Everyone said it was a great idea to bring them in because they brought the Chicago market. A fanbase of 2653 isn't bringing shit to the table
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Also, I despise this argument, and this is the type of argument you continue to throw out which has made me question you. We've been terrible for more than three years and we're 6th in the A10 in attendance. Loyola is averaging 2653 fans this year, that is less than UMass. Everyone said it was a great idea to bring them in because they brought the Chicago market. A fanbase of 2653 isn't bringing shit to the table
Of course, because if I disagree with your post, you tend to take it to a different level and make it personal.

Let's see, all the A10 schools and media outlets felt that adding Loyola was a no-brainer.
Their acceptance to our conference was overwhelmingly passed by the member schools in a NY minute.

But again I am sure the few posters on this board who were against Loyola are all more familiar with the pluses and minuses of binging them in than all those experts that actually made the decision and deal with all this on a daily basis. Not!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Yes, because pretty much all of your opinions are not in the best interest of the University, and I don't have patience for people that aren't for what's best for the University.

Since this conference is collapsing and those people were in favor of other objectively terrible additions, yeah, you know what, maybe I do know more than them in this case
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 months ago Yes, because pretty much all of your opinions are not in the best interest of the University, and I don't have patience for people that aren't for what's best for the University.

Since this conference is collapsing and those people were in favor of other objectively terrible additions, yeah, you know what, maybe I do know more than them in this case
Yeah right, all I have donated to the University over the years is because I don't care about their best interest.
I have probably been a fan before you were even born.

I guess we should all bow to your arrogance that you know what is best for our program and smarter than all those decision makers.
My apologies I didn't realize that we were in the company of such brilliance.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 months ago Yes, because pretty much all of your opinions are not in the best interest of the University, and I don't have patience for people that aren't for what's best for the University.

Yeah right, all I have donated to the University over the years is because I don't care about their best interest.

I guess we should all bow to your arrogance that you know what is best for our program and smarter than all those decision makers.
As opposed to your brilliance? You wanted Hurley fired, you wanted Cox kept, you thought hiring Archie Miller wasn't realistic, and you think our destiny as an athletic program for a state flagship should be left to be decided by a handful of small Catholic colleges who haven't once brought anything to the Atlantic 10 table. Your thinking is small time and is against us moving forward
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Sorry, but I am more partial to Loyola since I have good friends who went to the school. Also, I am familiar with the school having lived in Chicago on two occasions, once as a student at the University of Chicago getting an advanced degree and a second time working for a major Fortune 25 company.

While their national championship was long ago - 1963 - the Ramblers did have a more recent noteworthy run to the 2018 Final Four getting by Miami, Tennessee, Nevada and Kansas State before falling to Michigan.

Yes, their arena is on the small, size, the capacity was slightly reduced when they completely renovated the place in 2011 and put in some chair back seats, but it does share with Ryan that every seat in the place offers good sight lines. Also, their scoreboard offers video replays and the students sit along court side facing the Loyola and visitors benches. Student presence is good percentage of crowd and is vocal. The place is much nicer than Belk Arena at Davidson, a truly small school whose profile isn't close to any other A-10 school.

Finally the arena is named after the now deceased Joseph J. Gentile, a prominent Chicagoland auto dealer, and a man with the most generous of spirit and totally devoted to Loyola BB. Besides, Gentile was a paesano of mine. No need to say more. Capisce.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

As opposed to your brilliance? You wanted Hurley fired, you wanted Cox kept, you thought hiring Archie Miller wasn't realistic, and you think our destiny as an athletic program for a state flagship should be left to be decided by a handful of small Catholic colleges who haven't once brought anything to the Atlantic 10 table. Your thinking is small time and is against us moving forward

Get your story correct and lies in order.
Wrong again, I never wanted Hurley fired, as a matter of fact, I was one of his biggest supporters all the way.

I did agree with Thorr in giving Cox a fair chance, but felt the right decision was made when they fired him.

I was also pleasantly surprised when Thorr was able to get it done and hired Archie.
I said he was #1 on my list, but not sure it would happen.

I would like the A10 to succeed, but many events are and will be out of our control.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Obadiah wrote: 3 months ago Sorry, but I am more partial to Loyola since I have good friends who went to the school. Also, I am familiar with the school having lived in Chicago on two occasions, once as a student at the University of Chicago getting an advanced degree and a second time working for a major Fortune 25 company.

While their national championship was long ago - 1963 - the Ramblers did have a more recent noteworthy run to the 2018 Final Four getting by Miami, Tennessee, Nevada and Kansas State before falling to Michigan.

Yes, their arena is on the small, size, the capacity was slightly reduced when they completely renovated the place in 2011 and put in some chair back seats, but it does share with Ryan that every seat in the place offers good sight lines. Also, their scoreboard offers video replays and the students sit along court side facing the Loyola and visitors benches. Student presence is good percentage of crowd and is vocal. The place is much nicer than Belk Arena at Davidson, a truly small school whose profile isn't close to any other A-10 school.

Finally the arena is named after the now deceased Joseph J. Gentile, a prominent Chicagoland auto dealer, and a man with the most generous of spirit and totally devoted to Loyola BB. Besides, Gentile was a paesano of mine. No need to say more. Capisce.
This is spot on. The re-do of the Gentile Center was extremely well done. It's now a great place to watch a game...it's just the right size. Don't let the 17K enrollment fool you. It's a small Catholic school in a large city on a very narrow strip of land on the North Side of Chicago. Many students commute, as there is a CTA stop right on campus. They have a lot of non-traditional students. Chicago is a pro sports town first, and then the Big Ten/Notre Dame get next billing.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Yes, Loyola does have many non-traditional students and a large commuting population like many urban schools, but this is concentrated mostly in the professional and graduate programs which are much larger compared to URI. All first and second year students are required to live in one of the 23 Loyola residence halls and the on campus population is about the same size as URI's. The impression of a small school likely comes from the fact that the main Lake Shore campus is only about 50 acres which is dwarfed by the 600 acre URI campus.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote: 3 months ago Yes, Loyola does have many non-traditional students and a large commuting population like many urban schools, but this is concentrated mostly in the professional and graduate programs which are much larger compared to URI. All first and second year students are required to live in one of the 23 Loyola residence halls and the on campus population is about the same size as URI's. The impression of a small school likely comes from the fact that the main Lake Shore campus is only about 50 acres which is dwarfed by the 600 acre URI campus.

Some of these arguments against Loyola could be made against URI as well. URI has a much smaller students living on campus percentage than most state flagship universities as only about 50% reside there. This means far fewer dorms and it translates into a smaller built campus and immediate surrounding area. It further reduces the college community atmosphere with so many not living there. It is my belief that this leads to many Rhody students and later alumni having less of a connection to the school. This probably partially helps explains why the donation level of alumni is less than many other schools.
Last edited by RF1 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Not for nothing but you oppose the flagship university having branding in the major gateway to the state (TF Green) because in your opinion people are in a bad mood at the airport. That's so ridiculous it can't even be argued against. Talking down anyone else's intelligence might be a step too far. And 77 is clearly a massive fan the teardown on this topic is uncalled for.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago

Not for nothing but you oppose the flagship university having branding in the major gateway to the state (TF Green) because in your opinion people are in a bad mood at the airport. That's so ridiculous it can't even be argued against. Talking down anyone else's intelligence might be a step too far. And 77 is clearly a massive fan the teardown on this topic is uncalled for.
Yeah BAR, I don't get it.

I was just defending the addition of Loyola and now I am accused of not being a Rhody fan.
What does that make Thorr who was actually involved in the decision and that process, I guess he isn't looking out for our programs best interest either.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Yeah BAR, I don't get it.

I was just defending the addition of Loyola and now I am accused of not being a Rhody fan.
What does that make Thorr who was actually involved in the decision and that process, I guess he isn't looking out for our programs best interest either.
Hang in there, Jersey. Your posts and opinions are always appreciated despite differences at times. 👍🏼
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Most usually are...
1 x
wakefield
Steve Chubin

Unread post by wakefield »

https://www.nj.com/sports/2023/12/rick- ... nt-no.html

Rick Pitino is not a fan of Gonzaga potentially joining the Big East: ‘100 percent no’
Updated: Dec. 17, 2023, 10:06 a.m.|Published: Dec. 17, 2023, 8:03 a.m.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

wakefield wrote: 3 months ago https://www.nj.com/sports/2023/12/rick- ... nt-no.html

Rick Pitino is not a fan of Gonzaga potentially joining the Big East: ‘100 percent no’
So out of one side of his mouth, Undead Little Ricky says, "100 percent no." Out of the other side of his mouth, Undead Little Ricky says, "But if they want to join for basketball only, hey, let’s do it."

If he's quoted correctly, he contradicted himself in the same breath. Even for Undead Little Ricky, that's amazing.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 3 months ago
wakefield wrote: 3 months ago https://www.nj.com/sports/2023/12/rick- ... nt-no.html

So out of one side of his mouth, Undead Little Ricky says, "100 percent no." Out of the other side of his mouth, Undead Little Ricky says, "But if they want to join for basketball only, hey, let’s do it."

If he's quoted correctly, he contradicted himself in the same breath. Even for Undead Little Ricky, that's amazing.
From reading the article, I gathered he said "basketball only", because those dudes fly charter....not all of the other sports teams do.

I know folks are always on the "Gotcha, Ricky" hunt, but to bother to go back to a month old article, and then not even be whole about what he said, in order to take another swipe at him...seems like a reach. You hate the Rick, we get it ...
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I don’t know if just adding Gonzaga makes sense for the NBE. They would be a geographic outlier all by themselves for basketball only or for all sports.

Plus, can Gonzaga be counted on to sustain their success once Few retires ? I am not so sure they will be.

Is Gonzaga’s brand value sustainable ? What is their brand value worth to networks and/or streaming services ?

Maybe adding multiple ( 3 maybe? ) western teams with Gonzaga and moving DePaul and Creighton to the west division for a NBE west division could work ?

Maybe the NBE is better off just forming a scheduling alliance with Gonzaga and that conference or similar and leaving it at that ? But, are there programs in that conference - beyond Gonzaga and St. Mary’s and perhaps USF - worth playing in the OOC schedule ?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RF1 wrote: 3 months ago
Obadiah wrote: 3 months ago Yes, Loyola does have many non-traditional students and a large commuting population like many urban schools, but this is concentrated mostly in the professional and graduate programs which are much larger compared to URI. All first and second year students are required to live in one of the 23 Loyola residence halls and the on campus population is about the same size as URI's. The impression of a small school likely comes from the fact that the main Lake Shore campus is only about 50 acres which is dwarfed by the 600 acre URI campus.

Some of these arguments against Loyola could be made against URI as well. URI has a much smaller students living on campus percentage than most state flagship universities as only about 50% reside there. This means far fewer dorms and it translates into a smaller built campus and immediate surrounding area. It further reduces the college community atmosphere with so many not living there. It is my belief that this leads to many Rhody students and later alumni having less of a connection to the school. This probably partially helps explains why the donation level of alumni is less than many other schools.
Disagree - I think a lot of the arguments against Loyola are getting lost in the weeds of size of school/students - which I don't think have a place in the discussion.

PC has 3000 students. PC is a first rate championship-level basketball program at this point. We have 5x the students and are embarking on as many rebuilds in the last decade as we have NCAA wins.

There's a formula that involves many different factors to determine a "good" basketball program through the years, and whether or not you'd want them in your conference or not.

I think it starts with year-in/year-out performance. How have you done and who have you played? Where did you wind up in the NET year to year?

Loyola has traditionally played in a soft mid-major conference that had success under one coach. Otherwise they're an also-ran.

That one coach caught fire with a good draw in 2018, missed the tourney the next 2 years, and then got 2 more wins in the covid tourney in Indiana.

You also look at investment, fan support, infrastructure...etc.

They play in a 4300 seat arena. In a major metropolis. That's a red flag. It's better than a high school gym like La Salle, or Fordham, or GW, or Davidson, or Duquesne or Bonnies has...but if your newly renovated arena in your major city on a campus of 17,000 only targets 4300 people and can't sell out? HUGE red flag.

Despite it's academics, it's nice buildings, and legitimately great campus location on the lake - it's struggled to be a program more than it's one coach at one time. No basketball players really want to go there. No fans really want to go there either - I mean if you're in a major city that has the amount of basketball talent/fandom as Chicago, and you can barely half fill your 4300 seat arena - you don't have a fan base. Sorry.

In the last decade - they've had their best period ever - a final four and 3 total NCAA appearances. We had one of ours and then a rebuild that we're in the midst of...and we're still outdrawing them in the middle of cow and turf farms, 40 mins away from a metropolitan center almost 20x smaller than Chicago.

We have roughly the same amount of students that live on campus as they do - yet when school is in session we draw almost as many students as they do total fans. And none of our students have even seen a good regular season win, nevermind an NCAA appearance or two.

In fact, only one time in Ryan Center history, Jim Baron's last year, did we ever average an attendance that wouldn't have sold out Loyola's new arena. And we still averaged SIGNIFICANTLY more than they average today. Let's not compare fan bases and attendance, as we will never be as disinterested when we're bad as they are when they're good.

Their students don't care. Their adult fans don't care. They don't exist.

I don't count their 1963 title any more than I count our NIT championship appearance in the 40s. It has no bearing on their or our standing in today's game.

Loyola came up last year and got flat out embarrassed and showed that they had no business trying to compete at a level above the Horizon. This year they've been closer to average - giving the conference 1 Q2 win in the OOC while in year 4 of their new coach.

Loyola is not a fit for the A10. Neither is/was La Salle, Fordham, GW, George Mason, or Duquesne.

Unless maybe they're what the A10 targets and more of a reason that Dayton/VCU/St Louis/URI/Richmond/UMass should be shopping for partners who want to have a competitive basketball conference and not just a slapdick one-bid one.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

You have quite a curled hair for Pitino don't you? You were one of the most vocal opponents of him coming here. He took Iona to the NCAAT and he has St John's at 11-4 with a NET of 33 in his first year. Sometimes, don't hate the player just love the results.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 3 months ago

You have quite a curled hair for Pitino don't you? You were one of the most vocal opponents of him coming here. He took Iona to the NCAAT and he has St John's at 11-4 with a NET of 33 in his first year. Sometimes, don't hate the player just love the results.
Yup.

I laugh every time people post shitting on Pitino standing on their moral high grounds thinking this university is/was above hiring him.

He would’ve had us in multiple tourney’s with a couple wins.

If people still don’t realize this, We have Pitino’s top assistant from Louisville. Nobody seemed to be up in arms when we hired him.

Couldn’t care less about Pitino’s scandals in the past.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 months ago

Yup.

I laugh every time people post shitting on Pitino standing on their moral high grounds thinking this university is/was above hiring him.

He would’ve had us in multiple tourney’s with a couple wins.

If people still don’t realize this, We have Pitino’s top assistant from Louisville. Nobody seemed to be up in arms when we hired him.

care less about Pitino’s scandals in the past.
Let's see what Red has to say. Maybe Pitino personally hurt him? Who knows. But he craps on the guy every time his name is mentioned. Red, let us know what Rick did to you to become so angry with him. And don't tell me he screwed a bimbo on a table in a diner either. Who cares at this point.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Regardless of what Red thinks of RP as a coach, you have to admit that “Undead Little Ricky” is damn funny and creative! :lol: :lol:

Every time they show a shot of RP on TV I think of Red’s Undead Little Ricky nickname and laugh. :lol:

Heck, I am laughing just typing it!

Well done, Red ! Well done!
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Post of the………?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Jdrums#3 wrote: 3 months ago Regardless of what Red thinks of RP as a coach, you have to admit that “Undead Little Ricky” is damn funny and creative! :lol: :lol:

Every time they show a shot of RP on TV I think of Red’s Undead Little Ricky nickname and laugh. :lol:

I 10000% agree with 15 about the Pearl clutching and the fact that we’ve been involved with plenty of muck…and that’s what we know about and who we know about.

That said, Undead Little Ricky made me giggle.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 3 months ago Regardless of what Red thinks of RP as a coach, you have to admit that “Undead Little Ricky” is damn funny and creative! :lol: :lol:

I 10000% agree with 15 about the Pearl clutching and the fact that we’ve been involved with plenty of muck…and that’s what we know about and who we know about.

That said, Undead Little Ricky made me giggle.
:lol:
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Sorry, Blue Man, while I respect your opinion on this subject I don’t think we will ever agree on this.

You dismiss size of school as unimportant factor using PC as an example, totally ignoring the key point that PC has enjoyed the advantage for the last 50 years of playing in a better conference whose media grants alone gives more money to support their program. A mixed metaphor at best.

You dismiss any Loyola BB achievements as quirks and refer to their playing in a “soft mid major conference” who you misidentify as the Horizon when in fact it was the Missouri Valley. BTW the MVC schools today and in the past have been very good programs and most of their BB facilities are far larger than what is found in the A-10.

Also, you dump on the Loyola arena as too small, but have no trouble with the College of Charleston who has similar size arena as a possible new A-10 member. Is the implication here that the CAA is a non-soft mid major and the CofC fan base is so much bigger than Loyola?

Finally, when you make dogmatic statements like the following you lose me, since you have no evidence to back up these statements

“Their students don't care. Their adult fans don't care. They don't exist.”

“No basketball players really want to go there. No fans really want to go there either”

Come on you should know better.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote: 3 months ago Sorry, Blue Man, while I respect your opinion on this subject I don’t think we will ever agree on this.

You dismiss size of school as unimportant factor using PC as an example, totally ignoring the key point that PC has enjoyed the advantage for the last 50 years of playing in a better conference whose media grants alone gives more money to support their program. A mixed metaphor at best.

You dismiss any Loyola BB achievements as quirks and refer to their playing in a “soft mid major conference” who you misidentify as the Horizon when in fact it was the Missouri Valley. BTW the MVC schools today and in the past have been very good programs and most of their BB facilities are far larger than what is found in the A-10.

Also, you dump on the Loyola arena as too small, but have no trouble with the College of Charleston who has similar size arena as a possible new A-10 member. Is the implication here that the CAA is a non-soft mid major and the CofC fan base is so much bigger than Loyola?

Finally, when you make dogmatic statements like the following you lose me, since you have no evidence to back up these statements

“Their students don't care. Their adult fans don't care. They don't exist.”

“No basketball players really want to go there. No fans really want to go there either”

Come on you should know better.
If they can never fill a 4300 seat arena...and have 17K students and Rhody averages more than than their total capacity....I think it's pretty safe to say, "their students don't care." What else can you call that?
2 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I have for decades. You've just figured this out?????
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

He took PeeCee to the FF in 87.
Billy the kid.
It’s how his whole career took off.
I hate him too.

But I woulda loved having him take over instead of dc.
0 x