Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 months ago
RI_Bred wrote: 4 months ago I just realized this thread is TEN YEARS OLD!
Scary thought. How many of these gripes were addressed.

I'll start:

BEER in Seats
Beer in seats didn't just happen overnight...first, there was, "beer in the giant blue cubicle only" So, that was a multi-phaser.

Parochial mentality.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 months ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 months ago

Scary thought. How many of these gripes were addressed.

I'll start:

BEER in Seats
Beer in seats didn't just happen overnight...first, there was, "beer in the giant blue cubicle only" So, that was a multi-phaser.

Parochial mentality.
Yep. It took a while to break those parochi's down into donuts...but there you have it, the absolute most/exactly what everyone had been hoping for - wildly overpriced, pretty good beer that you can take to your seats and virtually nooo lines. Or fans... Anywhere. Under minimal volume pressure, pretty good progress on the brewski front.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Parochial mentality.
Yep. It took a while to break those parochi's down into donuts...but there you have it, the absolute most/exactly what everyone had been hoping for - wildly overpriced, pretty good beer that you can take to your seats and virtually nooo lines. Or fans... Anywhere. Under minimal volume pressure, pretty good progress on the brewski front.
You’re not going to need cupholders. Everyone should have empty seats to their left and right, probably in front of them as well.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 4 months ago

Parochial mentality.
You’re not going to need cupholders. Everyone should have empty seats to their left and right, probably in front of them as well.
Nothing new. The actual people in seats has been well below announced attendance for the past several years.
The last 2 years of Cox and last February were brutal.
As has this year been bad.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Parochial mentality.
I know what to do for all them empties....Dog Night. Everyone bring your dog to the game. I'm only thinking of my dog...but I'm sure there's crazy dogs all over Rhody Nation, so this could be awesome... Pick a game, everyone that wants to, pays $5 SPCA donation and gets a seat for their dog. I think it has great potential to get really out of hand...a sheet show in more ways than one, if you know what I'm saying. I can imagine some big ones getting loose and a scene like when Will Ferrell is going to fight that bear in Semi-Pro... And, maybe to make it an absolute no doubt sheet show...let people bring cats, too. We need to go for this, I think it would be a big attendance booster
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I know what to do for all them empties....Dog Night. Everyone bring your dog to the game. I'm only thinking of my dog...but I'm sure there's crazy dogs all over Rhody Nation, so this could be awesome... Pick a game, everyone that wants to, pays $5 SPCA donation and gets a seat for their dog. I think it has great potential to get really out of hand...a sheet show in more ways than one, if you know what I'm saying. I can imagine some big ones getting loose and a scene like when Will Ferrell is going to fight that bear in Semi-Pro... And, maybe to make it an absolute no doubt sheet show...let people bring cats, too. We need to go for this, I think it would be a big attendance booster
Hah! Please not your dog lol. No beer would be safe in one's hand.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

One thing I noticed the Bruins do and I'd like to see URI adopt this. When introducing the National Anthem, instead of the standard "Please rise..." the Bruins use something along the lines of "If you are able, please rise...". It's a small change, many might not even notice it, but I bet people who can't stand for the playing would appreciate that
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago One thing I noticed the Bruins do and I'd like to see URI adopt this. When introducing the National Anthem, instead of the standard "Please rise..." the Bruins use something along the lines of "If you are able, please rise...". It's a small change, many might not even notice it, but I bet people who can't stand for the playing would appreciate that
Oh great. Let’s encourage people who love to sit for it. 🙄
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

If the late Bob Dole can stand and salute is former Commander in Chief………
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

section(105) wrote: 4 months ago If the late Bob Dole can stand and salute is former Commander in Chief………
For sure.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago One thing I noticed the Bruins do and I'd like to see URI adopt this. When introducing the National Anthem, instead of the standard "Please rise..." the Bruins use something along the lines of "If you are able, please rise...". It's a small change, many might not even notice it, but I bet people who can't stand for the playing would appreciate that
Yeah, cause there's a ton of people that don't want to stand for the National Anthem but do so anyway because Dan Yorke tells them to...

Maybe it has more to do with not making the fans that we have that can't stand not feel like they're being excluded and acknowledging them
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I noticed the ring of honor banners were up. From my view, it looked the Carothers one is gone.
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 4 months ago I noticed the ring of honor banners were up. From my view, it looked the Carothers one is gone.
It's been down since the start of the year. I noticed that in the open practice they had before the season, but I haven't changed my signature because I don't have anything else to change it to right now and I don't want to tempt fate
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago
section(105) wrote: 4 months ago I noticed the ring of honor banners were up. From my view, it looked the Carothers one is gone.
It's been down since the start of the year. I noticed that in the open practice they had before the season, but I haven't changed my signature because I don't have anything else to change it to right now and I don't want to tempt fate
Could change it to: "Good job on the Carothers banner and looks like the constant losing is doing the trick on the concession lines"
2 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

you can change it to liquor in the front, poker in the rear.
2 x
:lol:
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Yeah, cause there's a ton of people that don't want to stand for the National Anthem but do so anyway because Dan Yorke tells them to...

Maybe it has more to do with not making the fans that we have that can't stand not feel like they're being excluded and acknowledging them
Ah, that’s right. We need safe spaces for everyone now.

Highly doubt grown adults would feel “excluded” if they were unable to.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Reading this BS makes me even prouder I moved to Charleston
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Great night at the RC. I just have one minor bitch. The first thing I do when I come in is grab the roster sheet with the stats of both teams on the back. The front was fine. URI roster, St. Joseph's roster. I turn it over to check St. Joe's stats. I want to see who's shooting it well, who rebounds, etc. I never got to see their stats because it had URI stats (12 games) and Northeastern's stats. Ok, somebody made a mistake. But please check them before scattering them all over the RC. Just a bad look, that's all.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

They really need to figure out the sound. Does the PA and the speakers have to be loud to the point you can't have a conversation without yelling?

It's actually absurd. In the past 2 months I've seen basketball at multiple collegiate, neutral, and professional arenas. I've NEVER been in any other arena but the Ryan Center where the sound system and PA guy are turned up to levels of pain like this.

Why do we do it? Am I the only one that hears it? Has the rest of everyone gone deaf from the Ryan Center speakers that my hearing is the last to go?

It's obscene. Please clean it up. Why can't we just get this shit right?
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 months ago They really need to figure out the sound. Does the PA and the speakers have to be loud to the point you can't have a conversation without yelling?

It's actually absurd. In the past 2 months I've seen basketball at multiple collegiate, neutral, and professional arenas. I've NEVER been in any other arena but the Ryan Center where the sound system and PA guy are turned up to levels of pain like this.

Why do we do it? Am I the only one that hears it? Has the rest of everyone gone deaf from the Ryan Center speakers that my hearing is the last to go?

'DAVID GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Blue Man wrote: 3 months ago They really need to figure out the sound. Does the PA and the speakers have to be loud to the point you can't have a conversation without yelling?

It’s loud-ish at my seat, but I can never actually hear anything clearly (yorke or ez). They need to figure it out!

YOU CANT SCREAM INTO A MIC!!! THEY DONT WORK THAT WAY!

If a singer needs to sing louder at a given point, they step away from the mic to avoid blowing it out!

When they do the hero of the game and start listing the accomplishments of the person, it just sounds like gibberish to me.

Dear Thorr, we criticize cuz we f’n care, and we want better.
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

It's to the point where I don't even try to have a convo with my fellow fans around me. Deafening! And I'm not wearing hearing aides here...(yet).
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The speakers seem to have actually been turned down. There was one game earlier this season, maybe Brown, that it was absolutely defining.
0 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 months ago The speakers seem to have actually been turned down. There was one game earlier this season, maybe Brown, that it was absolutely defining.
I think they turned them down mid-game after hearing some complaints - but Yorke's mic is still to a 14.

I wouldn't complain if it wasn't so apparent that we're the only arena in America that seems to have these problems. Other professional and collegiate venues seem to have figured out sound modulation, replays, wifi, concessions, entrances, advertisements, stat displays, not needing to announce advertisements during gameplay over the PA, promotional launchers that work/can reach people more than 15 rows off the court, lame DJ's that overly chop up and slow down good songs...it's just us that struggle. Per usual.

Beyond having a first rate arena to watch a basketball game in...is there one single part of the in-game experience that we do better than anywhere else? Has it ever changed in the 10+ years of this thread being a thing?
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

If you get replays and fix the wifi, the gameday experience goes up by like 300%. Its fucking insane that its 2023 and going to a basketball game you have to plan to be off the grid
5 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 months ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 months ago The speakers seem to have actually been turned down. There was one game earlier this season, maybe Brown, that it was absolutely defining.
I think they turned them down mid-game after hearing some complaints - but Yorke's mic is still to a 14.

I wouldn't complain if it wasn't so apparent that we're the only arena in America that seems to have these problems. Other professional and collegiate venues seem to have figured out sound modulation, replays, wifi, concessions, entrances, advertisements, stat displays, not needing to announce advertisements during gameplay over the PA, promotional launchers that work/can reach people more than 15 rows off the court, lame DJ's that overly chop up and slow down good songs...it's just us that struggle. Per usual.

Beyond having a first rate arena to watch a basketball game in...is there one single part of the in-game experience that we do better than anywhere else? Has it ever changed in the 10+ years of this thread being a thing?
We served beer before some P6 programs.

Michigan just started selling at The Big House and their arena within the last few years.
2 x
Go Rhody
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

simply, no.

our in game fan experience sucks. building is nice enough at this point (21+ years old), good sight lines, but it has its druthers that have been discussed over an over in the pages.

think of it this way, I am near 100% certain, at every single home game there is someone coming to their first game for whatever reason. what is their take away from their experience at the RC? how is the university/program getting them to come back again? and again?

our current casual fan experience isn't going to do it.
3 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 3 months ago

simply, no.

our in game fan experience sucks. building is nice enough at this point (21+ years old), good sight lines, but it has its druthers that have been discussed over an over in the pages.

think of it this way, I am near 100% certain, at every single home game there is someone coming to their first game for whatever reason. what is their take away from their experience at the RC? how is the university/program getting them to come back again? and again?

our current casual fan experience isn't going to do it.
Ive seen it many times, A casual fan at a game goes to do something on their phone at a timeout and are confused when they dont have service and the "Open" wifi doesnt work.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I did attend the St. Joe's game and had no problem with phone service.i was able to keep track of all other A-10 games and the up to date status of URI game stats continually. When some around me asked what was David Green's FT stats I was easily able to respond 3-10 at that moment.

Also, too much negativity on Ryan experience. I have been to games at seven other A-10 schools and can say that URI game day is one of the best around from the greeting at entrance to the national anthem, to in-game activities, to the singing of the alma mater at end. And the Vanner kid is the best. Let's show some pride rather than a woe is me, inferiority complex as in nothing good happens here. You want to see a lame game day experience just drive up to Amherst.

Maybe we should start a positive thread about experiences of other Ram fans that have seen URI play on road, especially at other A-10 venues to get more balance.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Obadiah wrote: 3 months ago I did attend the St. Joe's game and had no problem with phone service.i was able to keep track of all other A-10 games and the up to date status of URI game stats continually. When some around me asked what was David Green's FT stats I was easily able to respond 3-10 at that moment.

Also, too much negativity on Ryan experience. I have been to games at seven other A-10 schools and can say that URI game day is one of the best around from the greeting at entrance to the national anthem, to in-game activities, to the singing of the alma mater at end. And the Vanner kid is the best. Let's show some pride rather than a woe is me, inferiority complex as in nothing good happens here. You want to see a lame game day experience just drive up to Amherst.

Maybe we should start a positive thread about experiences of other Ram fans that have seen URI play on road, especially at other A-10 venues to get more balance.
Sorry no sale OB. We didn't build the Ryan Center (a top venue in the A10, and still a top building to see a basketball game) to strive to be better than the majority of our conference that is a collection of underfunded, poor performing, low-major schools with high school, multi-purpose gymnasiums.

We didn't invest in a top tier coach and make all these investments just so we could be better than some of the worst "D1" buildings and experiences in college basketball.

Not sure what you mean by greeting at the entrance - but I thought standing in an outdoor line in 20 degree weather for 5-10 minutes most nights, and 10-15 mins if it's a large crowd (which I've never done anywhere but Gillette Stadium), sucks.

It goes without saying that JV is the best in the business at what he does, but I don't think that factors in to the "casual" fan's idea of if they want to come back to the RC or not. It's a great add, it helps the atmosphere, he's funny - but it's not in the top 20 of reasons people would or wouldn't come to a game.

This may be generational thing - and I mean that sincerely, not in a dick way. But taking everything else away - WiFi and replays would probably solve 90% of people's complaints about the Ryan Center.

Yes, there was spotty cell service because there were 3000 people in the building, and of those 3000 people - no students - so I'm going to go out on a limb and assume a majority of the crowd had their AARP cards and is significantly less connected to the internet than the 18-35 crowd.

The WiFi thing isn't even a "nice to have" any more...it's a necessity.

Also, this experience matters more for us because the arena is a tough place to visit on a work night if people understand they have to commit to being off the grid for a couple hours. Once you solve that, the replay issue is another top priority. It makes a complete difference in how you watch a game. It's more exciting, you're more engaged, and our rival up the road - who plays in a 55 year old hockey arena - has replays figured out.

I shouldn't have to take 14 steps to attempt to connect to "restricted guest access" on the "public" WiFi, hope that it keeps me connected long enough to send a text to a friend watching the game on TV, and ask what happened on another angle of the play because I couldn't see it from my seat in the building. It'd be nice to just watch the replay of it on the jumbotron that is the same technology in the TD Garden - of which I've seen many a replay.

We're complaining because these are things that can be done, that are being done, and we are actively choosing not to do them...because these complaints have existed for 10+ years, and the technology to execute these tasks has become even cheaper and more accessible.

Having pride is this program means you expect better, not just happy because we exist.

If the mantra of this board/fanbase is "NCAA or bust" - then the mantra of the arena can't be "better in game experience than La Salle."
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I'm guessing that part of the reason we don't see replays is limited screen availability. With effectively one "big" screen, the advertisements take priority. I can't even see the smaller screen way up top in the NE corner from where we sit.

Also hate that they show ads on the ribbon screen around the circumference of the arena during fts. That's when I want to be able to take a quick look at the game stats that for me appear in the NW corner of the ribbon screen. Currently have to take eyes off of live action to peek at the stats usually.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote: 3 months ago I did attend the St. Joe's game and had no problem with phone service.i was able to keep track of all other A-10 games and the up to date status of URI game stats continually. When some around me asked what was David Green's FT stats I was easily able to respond 3-10 at that moment.

Never had a problem with wifi at Amherst
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

This feels like a fair review of the Ryan Center experience.

https://www.stadiumjourney.com/stadiums ... enter-s704

It's a great place to see a game but when you go as often as most of us go you start to see the warts and things we can do better. That some of our legitimate, constructive criticism hasn't been addressed in years is frankly not good. Hell, when we got the ribbon boards and the newest scoreboard they made a big deal about how it's the same technology that the TD Garden possessed at the time and yet we still can't get replays. Meade Stadium, the ugly neglected football field, actually got replays before the Ryan Center. That's amazing, and not in a good way
2 x
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

Not sure if this has been addressed but please, for the love of God, get rid of the strobe lights before the game. Absolutely not worth the medical risk nor is it appealing in general (it’s obnoxious)
4 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Good post BlueMan

It’s pretty clear the Yorke act ain’t changing. Turn down the PA. It’s ridiculous.

(As I’ve said on the forums / probably in this thread I solved it with Vibes musician ear plugs which I also use playing guitar in my dad band easy to buy on Amazon, they’re like magic)
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 months ago This feels like a fair review of the Ryan Center experience.

https://www.stadiumjourney.com/stadiums ... enter-s704

It's a great place to see a game but when you go as often as most of us go you start to see the warts and things we can do better. That some of our legitimate, constructive criticism hasn't been addressed in years is frankly not good. Hell, when we got the ribbon boards and the newest scoreboard they made a big deal about how it's the same technology that the TD Garden possessed at the time and yet we still can't get replays. Meade Stadium, the ugly neglected football field, actually got replays before the Ryan Center. That's amazing, and not in a good way
That review is pretty generic but not unfair I suppose. Pretty sure our mascot's name is not "Ruckus the Ram", unless it was recently changed?
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It wasn't changed, but I can see how that mistake could be made with the way we use Ruckus
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I have to honestly say that my wife never had a problem with Wi-Fi where our tickets were in 306 (I rarely brought my phone). Maybe it was because of our location in the building.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Next game, I would like if everyone gets on their phone and checks access. Then respond if you have issues. Based on the response, we will see if it is still an issue.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodyg wrote: 3 months ago Not sure if this has been addressed but please, for the love of God, get rid of the strobe lights before the game. Absolutely not worth the medical risk nor is it appealing in general (it’s obnoxious)
One billion percent keep the lighting the way it is. No question.

Spare me the whole “medical risk” thing. That sounds way too soft, but that’s par for the course these days. Not surprised someone thinks that.

A TON of programs do the pregame lighting to hype the place up.

The lighting and pregame videos are a couple of the things the arena does right.

Get with the times.
3 x
Go Rhody
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

RAM67 wrote: 3 months ago I have to honestly say that my wife never had a problem with Wi-Fi where our tickets were in 306 (I rarely brought my phone). Maybe it was because of our location in the building.
We’re in 305 and the WiFi has been okay. I suspect the lower you are the worse it is.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 months ago
Rhodyg wrote: 3 months ago Not sure if this has been addressed but please, for the love of God, get rid of the strobe lights before the game. Absolutely not worth the medical risk nor is it appealing in general (it’s obnoxious)

Spare me the whole “medical risk” thing. That sounds way too soft, but that’s par for the course these days. Not surprised someone thinks that.

The lighting and pregame videos are a couple of the things the arena does right.

Get with the times.
While uncommon, photosensitive epilepsy is a real thing so it’s objectively irresponsible for any arena to force flickering light shows on its crowds. Call me a snowflake but I’m considering other’s predicaments. To your other point, yeah man the light show is definitely working to get the crowd hyped up…. 👍
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhodyg wrote: 3 months ago

Get with the times.
While uncommon, photosensitive epilepsy is a real thing so it’s objectively irresponsible for any arena to force flickering light shows on its crowds. Call me a snowflake but I’m considering other’s predicaments. To your other point, yeah man the light show is definitely working to get the crowd hyped up…. 👍
Who's at Risk and How Often? About 3 to 5 percent of the 2.7 million Americans with epilepsy (approximately 100,000 individuals) are photosensitive, as indicated by an abnormal response to strobe lights during an EEG.

So about 100K people have this thing. Across over 350 million people. And arenas should do WHAT? GTFOH.
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

So… anyone notice the black shower curtain. ?

What’s up with that ?
3 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Get with the times.
The 10’s of 10’s of people in attendance at the RC
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Get with the times.
Hey Rhodyg, with about 100K afflicted with this across the country, that's 2,000 people per state. Maybe they just stay at home and let the rest of us have some fun. K?
1 x
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

theblueram wrote: 3 months ago

Get with the times.
Who's at Risk and How Often? About 3 to 5 percent of the 2.7 million Americans with epilepsy (approximately 100,000 individuals) are photosensitive, as indicated by an abnormal response to strobe lights during an EEG.

So about 100K people have this thing. Across over 350 million people. And arenas should do WHAT? GTFOH.
Gotcha and while I hadn’t figured to do the research, I appreciate you contributing with some numbers. At the end of the day I think the light show is too much. Opinions are like assholes, we all have one
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ElmCityRhody wrote: 3 months ago So… anyone notice the black shower curtain. ?

What’s up with that ?
I've heard about it. I keep meaning to take a look for it when I'm there...
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

theblueram wrote: 3 months ago

Get with the times.
Hey Rhodyg, with about 100K afflicted with this across the country, that's 2,000 people per state. Maybe they just stay at home and let the rest of us have some fun. K?
Back about 10ish years ago when All Of The Lights (Kanye & Rihanna) was used as the intro song there used to be signs on the doors alerting those who have epilepsy to take caution. Every sporting event and concert has strobe lights.

I’m sure there are people out there who hate clapping, too.
2 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x