12/30 | Northeastern | 1:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 12/30 | Northeastern | 1:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 3 months ago
reef wrote: 3 months ago I’d be very surprised if Green doesn’t start vs Joes

Not sure who he replaces but think it’s Ways or Cam
So no PG?
Guess we find out Wednesday but I will guess
DG
Fuchs
Cam
Zek
Jaden
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago I don’t see the Delroy comp besides them both being 6’7 lefties. Del was a slasher with a really good handle and slithery in traffic. Green seems to rely more on strength and high IQ. Regardless he’s our most impt player after just 1 game.

His previous stats in CUSA and CAA don’t add up to me. Either he was criminally misused or he got a lot better over the last 12 months.
Closer comp than Josh King

Who else does he play like? He's like a bulkier less quick version.
Yeah it’s hard to really compare DG now as most of us have only seen him play one game

I agree more like Delroy as opposed to King who was a dead eye 3 point shooter that was most of his game with the occasional floater if the defense came out to guard him , he was perfect on that 98 team

Just think to have 3 point shooters like Cat Tyson and Josh on the floor if they get hot that team could beat anyone in the country
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

theblueram wrote: 3 months ago
reef wrote: 3 months ago I’d be very surprised if Green doesn’t start vs Joes

Not sure who he replaces but think it’s Ways or Cam
I don't think Cam is being replaced. The guy can play. Sure he makes freshman mistakes, but he is one of our most skilled player.
The starting five. Point. Ways or Kortright
Other guards, Cam, House
Front court. Green Fuchs

Kale(zek). Off the bench.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 months ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 months ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 months ago Players thrive off a coaches emotions. Definitely worked with Dan. I saw Archie walk up to Zek I believe and was almost under the basket. Intense.
Players thrive off a coach's emotions? I didn't know that. Was that true with Dean Smith? John Wooden? Bob McKillop? Tony Bennett? Lute Olson? Al Skinner? (Tom Landry, Bill Belichick?)
Do you have this sentence saved on your phone or something? You always have a response like this whenever someone discusses how players perform under emotional coaches. Obviously, there are instances where coaches maintain a calm demeanor on the sidelines yet bring out the best in their players. Growing up as a Lakers fan, I watched Phil Jackson exemplify this approach,

However, if you think Archie's passion on the sideline didn't affect our team, IDK what game you were watching. The players displayed more fire and intensity than in any other game this season. This particular team appeared to respond positively to Archie's more intense approach.. Archie was awesome yesterday, and it reminded me of why I was so excited that we hired him. Let's see if we can shock the A10 and beat St. Joe. Or, at the very least, make it competitive.
You just agreed with my point...which is blanket and overarching (no put intended) statements like "players thrive off of coach's emotions" are not credible. Every player is different, every coach is different, and every situation is different. Some players may feed of some coaches' emotions. Absolutely. If you want to say, "in the Northeastern game, URI's players seemed to feed off of Archie's emotions," then fine.

But this notion that every (URI?) coach needs the brim and fire like Mike Ditka throwing his gum out and yelling at his players, officials, etc. is flat out ridiculous.

Are you saying that you were excited URI hired Archie because your impression of him from previous stops was that he was an emotional guy on the sideline?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Did anyone else catch when the kid doing the sideline reporting said "for the first time in 100 years, Northeastern is back in the Ryan Center"

😂😂😂
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Yes...it was 1 of many blunders that game...and every game. But I digress.
1 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

reef wrote: 3 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago I don’t see the Delroy comp besides them both being 6’7 lefties. Del was a slasher with a really good handle and slithery in traffic. Green seems to rely more on strength and high IQ. Regardless he’s our most impt player after just 1 game.

His previous stats in CUSA and CAA don’t add up to me. Either he was criminally misused or he got a lot better over the last 12 months.
Closer comp than Josh King

Who else does he play like? He's like a bulkier less quick version.
Yeah it’s hard to really compare DG now as most of us have only seen him play one game

I agree more like Delroy as opposed to King who was a dead eye 3 point shooter that was most of his game with the occasional floater if the defense came out to guard him , he was perfect on that 98 team

Just think to have 3 point shooters like Cat Tyson and Josh on the floor if they get hot that team could beat anyone in the country
I agree that it is early, but how about a comparison to one of Al Skinner's favorite players, Mike Brown?
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I think that’s the best comp yet. A lefty version.
Mike was tough, versatile, and could score inside and out. Prob less of a back to the basket threat than Green but more similar IMO than others thrown out.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago I think that’s the best comp yet. A lefty version.
Mike was tough, versatile, and could score inside and out. Prob less of a back to the basket threat than Green but more similar IMO than others thrown out.
After just one game not quite ready to compare Green to anyone yet.

But yeah, if he turns out to be anything like Brown, I will take it.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago I think that’s the best comp yet. A lefty version.
After just one game not ready to compare Green to anyone yet.

loved mike brown !
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Yup, Green looked good at home against a low major, missing two of their best players. I'm excited but I need to see him do this against the A10. St. Joes will tell us a lot!!
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good one , Mike Brown was great did a little of everything
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Yup, Green looked good at home against a low major, missing two of their best players. I'm excited but I need to see him do this against the A10. St. Joes will tell us a lot!!
He looked very good against us in the scrimmage too. 5/6 from deep and most were heavily contested.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 months ago

He looked very good against us in the scrimmage too. 5/6 from deep and most were heavily contested.
True, but we are a terrible defensive team, and teams typically coast in scrimmages, which leads to easier looks. I love Green's potential but I want to see him do it against better competition. If he has a great game against St. Joe, I'll be very excited.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

True, but we are a terrible defensive team, and teams typically coast in scrimmages, which leads to easier looks. I love Green's potential but I want to see him do it against better competition. If he has a great game against St. Joe, I'll be very excited.
Prepare to be "very excited" ;)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodysurf wrote: 3 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 3 months ago Lmao whether he’s playing at the 4 or 5 Fuchs playing as much as he does will always bewilder me.
Fuchs has played better than Tyson by a mile. You’re not seeing him objectively at this point lol
Blueman,

I finally went back and watched the replay of the Northeastern Game after having watched it live Saturday..........

As you know I disagree with you on Fuchs. Here are some of my notes on the game:

1st Half
  • Fuchs got the start after having missed 3 games with a concussion. Miller gave him the assignment to guard #33 Chris Doherty. Doherty is Northeastern's Best Player. He played 2 years at Notre Dame and now in his 4th Year at Northeastern. 6th year of College Basketball. Doherty leads NE in Points, Rebounds and Assists. He is 6th in CAA in Rebounding
  • After 3 minutes Miller took Fuchs out and had a talk with him when he came to the bench. I made it out to be how are you feeling? Everything ok?
  • Green, somewhat surprisingly to me, came in at the 16 minute mark, Kortright came in at 15 minute mark
    4:39 to go House shot an Air-ball 3P; 32 seconds later Montgomery shot an Air-ball 3P. Back to Back Air-ball 3P's by 2 starters. Arrrggghhh.
  • 13 minutes to go Estevez made a bad pass - Miller took him out
  • 11.5 minutes to go Montgomery made a steal but bad pass to Kortright. Miller pulled Montgomery out
  • 9 minutes to go Fuchs steals the ball at top of key, takes it length of court for 2 handed dunk. Increased URI lead from 23-20 to 25-20
  • 7 minutes to go Montgomery fouled. He missed the FT - Fuchs rebounded the missed FT in the lane and got the 2P Put-back. Announcers thought Fuchs got fouled on the Put-back. He is so strong he muscled the ball in despite the contact
  • 2:30 to go bad left handed pass by Montgomery. Miller pulled him.
  • 30 seconds to go Estevez dribbling at half court bringing the ball up, right in front of Miller. Loud Buzz in crowd was that a NE player was coming up behind Estevaz as they saw it coming and NE guy poked the ball loose. Miller just about lost it slamming his clipboard. URI could have had the last shot and gone up at least 42-33....but instead NE hit a 3 and cut the lead to 40-36. Instead of possibly up 9 or 10 we went to halftime up only 4
2nd Half
  • 19 minutes to go House with a nice pass to Fuchs on Roll & 2 Handed Dunk. Score 44-40 URI
  • 17 minutes to go - step back 3P by Montgomery was his 2nd Air-ball 3P of the game
  • 16.5 minutes to go Miller pulls Fuchs for Brown. Talks to Fuchs on the sideline - again likely about his stamina/health
  • 7 minutes later Miller puts Fuchs in again.
  • With 5:12 to go Miller/Team called a great play. On the inbound pass in front of The URI bench Kortright 6'4" was being covered by McClintock 6'2" who was in only his 3rd game of the season for NE. The two were going at it for position to the left of the lane prior to the pass in. The Ref stopped the action before the ball was to be thrown in and talked to both players. He didn’t call a Technical but could have. In watching the replay of the game they were showing replays of previous plays and completely missed the pushing and shoving between Kortright and McClintock. Montgomery STILL threw the ball into Kortright despite all that and Kortright posted up McClintock for an easy 2 point banked in shot. Great call by Miller/Montgomery/Team
  • 2 minutes to go Kortright misses 1st of 1 and 1. Fuchs fof the 2nd time in the game gets the offensive rebound on a missed FT.
  • 1:42 to go int eh game Fuchs knocks the ball of the knee of a NE's King out of bounds. Fuchs does not get credit for a steal but it was excellent defense
Miller previously said Fuch's best games were Brown and PC. After sitting out 3 games due to concussion this was his best game of the year:
27 minutes
5-6 FG
12 rebounds: 5 offensive. Next closest was 2 Offensive rebounds by Pridgen NE and Estevez URI. 2 of Fuch's Offensive rebounds were on Missed FT's
2 Assists
1 TO
1 Steal
+12..........Kortright also had +12 and Estevez was +14. Nest closest was House +5. Foumena -2, Wright and Brown both -1.

Maybe Fuchs was lucky to get his game high 12 rebounds but I'll take that kind off luck anyway. 6th year Chris Doherty who is NE leading rebounder was held to only 3 rebounds. Doherty was 5-7 FG, 10 points and a team high 4 TOs. So Fuchs held his man in check and had himself a Double-Double.
NONE of Fuch's Offensive Rebounds were from his own Missed Shot. Fuchs was 5-6 and his only Miss was on a 8 foot bank shot attempt.

URI Freshman Fuchs with 12 Rebounds was game high, 2nd game high went to fellow URI Freshman Estevez with 5 rebounds and 2 Offensive

Miller pulling guys right after committing turnovers shows what Miller's expectations are. Miller coached a great game vs Northeastern.

Put Green with Fuchs, get Montgomery, House and Kortright off and playing to the highest potential, combined with Estevez who is rapidly improving, sorrow the rotation to 7-8 as Miller recently said hi s goal is and something could be brewing here.
Last edited by ramster 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Blue Man wrote: 3 months ago Lmao whether he’s playing at the 4 or 5 Fuchs playing as much as he does will always bewilder me.
Fuchs has played better than Tyson by a mile. You’re not seeing him objectively at this point lol
Blueman,

I finally went back and watched the replay of the Northeastern Game after having watched it live Saturdays...........

As you know I disagree with you on Fuchs. Here are some of my notes on the game:

1st Half
  • Fuchs got the start after having missed 3 games with a concussion. Miller gave him the assignment to guard #33 Chris Doherty. Dohderty is Northeastern's Best Players. He played 2 years at Notre Dame and now his 4th Year at Northeastern. 6th year of College Basketball. Doherty leads NE in Points, Rebounds and Assists. He is 6th in CAA in Rebounding
  • After 3 minutes Miller took Fuchs out and had a talk with him when he came to the bench. I made it out to be how are you feeling? Everything ok?
  • Green, somewhat surprisingly to me, came in at the 16 minute mark, Kortright
    4:39 to go House shot an Air-ball 3P; 32 seconds later Montgomery shot an Air-ball 3P. Back to Back Air-ball 3P's by 2 starters. Arrrggghhh.
  • 11.5 minutes to go Montgomery made a steal but bad pass to Kortright. Miller pulled Montgomery out
  • 9 minutes to go Fuchs steals the ball at top of key, takes it length of court for 2 handed dunk. Increased URI lead from 23-20 to 25-20
  • 7 minutes to go Montgomery fouled. He missed the FT - Fuchs rebounded the missed FT in the lane and got the 2P Put-back. Announcers thought Fuchs got fouled on the Put-back. He is so strong he muscled the ball in despite the contact
  • 30 seconds to go Estevez drubbing at half court. Buzz in crowd was that a NE player was coming up behind him who poked the ball loose. Miller just about lost it slamming him clipboard. URI could have had the last shot and gone up at least 42-33....but instead NE hit a 3 and cut the lead to 40-36. Instead of up 9 we went to halftime up only 4
2nd Half
  • 19 minutes to go House with a nice pass to Fuchs on Roll & 2 Handed Dunk. Score 44-40 URI
  • 17 minutes to go - step back 3P by Montgomery his 2nd Air-ball 3P of the game
  • 16.5 minutes to go Miller pulls Fuchs for Brown. Talks to him on the sideline - again likely about his stamina/health. URI
  • With 5:12 to go Miller/Team called a great play. On the inbound pass in front of The URI bench Kortright 6'4" was being covered by McClintock 6'2" who was in only his 3rd game of the season for NE. The two were going at it for position to the left of the lane. The Ref stopped the action before the ball was to be thrown in and talked to both players. In watching the replay of the game they were showing replays fo previous plays and completely missed the pushing and shoving between Kortright and McClintock. Montgomery STILL threw the ball into Kortright despite all that and Kortright posted up McClintock for an easy 2 point banked in shot. Great call by Miller/Montgomery/Team
2 minutes to go Kortright misses 1st of 1 and 1. Fuchs fof the 2nd time in the game gets the offensive rebound on a missed FT.
  • 1:42 to go int eh game Fuchs knocks the ball of the knee of a NE's King out of bounds. Fuchs does not get credit for a steal but it was excellent defense
Miller previously said Fuch's best games were Brown and PC. After sitting out 3 games due to concussion this was his best game of the year:
27 minutes
5-6 FG
12 rebounds: 5 offensive. Next closest was 2 Offensive rebounds by Pridgen NE and Estevez URI. 2 of Fuch's Offensive rebounds were on Missed FT's
2 Assists
1 TO
1 Steal
+12..........Kortright also had +12 and Estevez was +14. Nest closest was House +5. Foumena -2, Wright and Brown both -1.

Maybe Fuchs was lucky to get his game high 12 rebounds but I'll take that kind off luck anyway. 6th year Chris Doherty who is NE leading rebounder was held to only 3 rebounds. Doherty was 5-7 FG, 10 points and a team high 4 TOs. So Fuchs held his man in check and had himself a Double-Double.
NONE of Fuch's Offensive Rebounds were from his own Missed Shot. Fuchs was 5-6 and his only Miss was on a 8 foot bank shot attempt.

URI Freshman Fuchs with 12 Rebounds was game high, 2nd game high went to fellow URI Freshman Estevez with 5 rebounds and 2 Offensive

Miller pulling guys right after committing turnovers shows what Miller's expectations are. Miller coached a great game vs Northeastern.

Put Green with Fuchs, get Montgomery, House and Kortright off and playing to the highest potential, combined with Estevez who is rapidly improving, sorrow the rotation to 7-8 as Miller recently said hi s goal is and something could be brewing here.
Like I’ve said, I’m starting to come around on Fuchs at the 5. I think at the 4 his weaknesses looked more pronounced than they are if he’s playing the 5.

His lack of effort the first couple games pissed me off and I’ve probably carried that throughout with my criticism.

I still don’t think he’s our best option at the 5, I think he’s clearly behind Bilau, and you can probably pick and choose assorted skills/situations for where you’d rather see Fuchs, Foumena, or Brown.

But you can’t argue that he played well despite a couple of gaffes last game. Let’s hope he keeps that up tonight.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Blueman,

I finally went back and watched the replay of the Northeastern Game after having watched it live Saturdays...........

1st Half
  • Fuchs got the start after having missed 3 games with a concussion. Miller gave him the assignment to guard #33 Chris Doherty. Dohderty is Northeastern's Best Players. He played 2 years at Notre Dame and now his 4th Year at Northeastern. 6th year of College Basketball. Doherty leads NE in Points, Rebounds and Assists. He is 6th in CAA in Rebounding
  • 30 seconds to go Estevez drubbing at half court. Buzz in crowd was that a NE player was coming up behind him who poked the ball loose. Miller just about lost it slamming him clipboard. URI could have had the last shot and gone up at least 42-33....but instead NE hit a 3 and cut the lead to 40-36. Instead of up 9 we went to halftime up only 4
2nd Half
  • 16.5 minutes to go Miller pulls Fuchs for Brown. Talks to him on the sideline - again likely about his stamina/health. URI
  • With 5:12 to go Miller/Team called a great play. On the inbound pass in front of The URI bench Kortright 6'4" was being covered by McClintock 6'2" who was in only his 3rd game of the season for NE. The two were going at it for position to the left of the lane. The Ref stopped the action before the ball was to be thrown in and talked to both players. In watching the replay of the game they were showing replays fo previous plays and completely missed the pushing and shoving between Kortright and McClintock. Montgomery STILL threw the ball into Kortright despite all that and Kortright posted up McClintock for an easy 2 point banked in shot. Great call by Miller/Montgomery/Team
2 minutes to go Kortright misses 1st of 1 and 1. Fuchs fof the 2nd time in the game gets the offensive rebound on a missed FT.
27 minutes
5-6 FG
2 Assists
1 TO
1 Steal

Like I’ve said, I’m starting to come around on Fuchs at the 5. I think at the 4 his weaknesses looked more pronounced than they are if he’s playing the 5.

His lack of effort the first couple games pissed me off and I’ve probably carried that throughout with my criticism.

I still don’t think he’s our best option at the 5, I think he’s clearly behind Bilau, and you can probably pick and choose assorted skills/situations for where you’d rather see Fuchs, Foumena, or Brown.

But you can’t argue that he played well despite a couple of gaffes last game. Let’s hope he keeps that up tonight.
I'd say he played pretty well tonight
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 months ago

Blueman,

1st Half
2nd Half
27 minutes
5-6 FG
2 Assists
1 TO
1 Steal

I'd say he played pretty well tonight
100%. Super aggressive and tons of emotion. He's a natural 5. Definitely ahead of Brown. I'd like to see Foumena get more action if Bilau is going to be out, but him being at the 5 and not having to cover faster players is a huge asset. He's definitely not fast, but he's a monster. If he keeps using his body like he has the last 2 games we're in for a fun conference slate. Awesome game from him.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Fuchs has a really solid build and is an excellent rebounder , only a freshman so hope he develops a well rounded game , the potential is there
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I agree with many here that Fuchs best spot is at the 5 but I will add at this time, for this team, this season.

I still hold out hope that he can improve his foot speed (especially lateral movement) to play the 4 and 5 for us in the coming seasons. That said, Fuchs and the team trainer have a lot of work to do to get him to that point.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 3 months ago I agree with many here that Fuchs best spot is at the 5 but I will add at this time, for this team, this season.

I still hold out hope that he can improve his foot speed (especially lateral movement) to play the 4 and 5 for us in the coming seasons. That said, Fuchs and the team trainer have a lot of work to do to get him to that point.
I think folks forget he's a FR tho. He will improve defensively also through better situational awareness, understanding guys tendencies, getting better at anticipation and positional adjustment, etc. All things that come with playing more games. He can improve lateral movement to an extent through training but he's not going to turn into Lamonte Ulmer. However as his IQ and game awareness improves so will some of his deficiencies in guarding people outside the paint. Right now he is best suited at the 5 but to say that is where he will be forever is foolish. He's 15 games into his freshman year a lot of development will happen with him.
1 x