1/3 | Saint Joseph’s | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 1/3 | Saint Joseph’s | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by McRam »

hrstrat57 wrote: 3 months ago We beat a team tonight that had the best player on the floor. Major progress.

That play where Weston ran the baseline then immediately reversed the ball was brilliant. Textbook.

Sloppy game at times but URI battled all night.

Good start to A10 play.
Weston ‘s defense might have been the difference in this game
3 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

It was a true tale of two halves. Fuchs had only 3pts in the first half I believe. Major turn around by the whole team.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

McRam wrote: 3 months ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 3 months ago We beat a team tonight that had the best player on the floor. Major progress.

That play where Weston ran the baseline then immediately reversed the ball was brilliant. Textbook.

Sloppy game at times but URI battled all night.

Good start to A10 play.
Weston ‘s defense might have been the difference in this game
He should be in the rotation for defense alone. We are not a good defensive team. If he gets his offensive game going, he would be key to this teams ability to climb the ranks. Reminds me a bit of Stan.
Last edited by SandorClegane 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

David Fuchs over his last 4 games (PC, Brown, NE, SJU)

Averaging 11ppg, 9rpg, 62% from the field in 25 minutes a night.
Insane efficiency.
6 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 months ago Biggest/best win since...
Last year Dayton lol!

Only this time I'm pretty sure the best has yet to come..
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago David Fuchs over his last 4 games (PC, Brown, NE, SJU)

Insane efficiency.
And over those 4 games he has 6 Assists and quite amazingly in 100 minutes of play 1 single turnover. One.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

We scored 48 points in the 2nd half! So happy for Brandon. He played so well....4 points, 4 assists, 2 rebounds, great defense and a monster block on a breakaway layup in only 12 minutes. If he was indeed out of the rotation, I assume he played his way back into it tonight. Place wasn't even half full and it got pretty loud in there. Hopefully a couple more wins and we start seeing bigger crowds. Nice home court advantage if the place gets twice as many people and it gets twice as loud. Finally, David Green....he had a rough 1st half shooting the ball and came up huge in the 2nd half. When the final buzzer sounded, he immediately ran over to his family and hugged them for 2 or 3 minutes. He had tears in his eyes. Obviously it means a lot to him to be able to play after the BS with the NCAA and to be able to win like that. He was so emotional, he missed the handshake line. I'm a fan.
5 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

brady1 wrote: 3 months ago Nice Win!

Bunch of different line ups played well together.

Zek made the last two free throws but I think it’s time for him to come off the bench.

At some point I want to see Green, Fou and Fuchs play together 😂😂!

GO RHODY!
Archie started the 2nd half with:
Kortright
Fuchs
House
Estevez
Green

Montgomery was replaced by Green
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

5 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 3 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago David Fuchs over his last 4 games (PC, Brown, NE, SJU)

Insane efficiency.
And over those 4 games he has 6 Assists and quite amazingly in 100 minutes of play 1 single turnover. One.
Stud
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

SandorClegane wrote: 3 months ago Archie’s got to wake the f up.. If the refs suck, he’s got to get on them.. if not, players get frustrated.
Archie was on the refs all night
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 3 months ago
Love it, So happy for him.
7 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I liked that Miller was asking for an Intentional Foul by St Joseph’s with 1.0 seconds to go. Refs didn’t call it Intentional but was certainly worth a try.

When the game was over David Green immediately ran off the court towards lower end zone section 109 and gave someone a big hug but it was difficult for me to see who. Maybe his mom? Did anyone see? I thought about how emotional this whole process must be from him lwith URI being his 3rd school, then getting his waiver denied, then getting his waiver appeal denied and then unexpectedly getting a Court’s decision that Transfers can play. What a roller coaster and how he deserves a victory like this, the whole team deserves this win as do all the loyal fans.
Last edited by ramster 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Took a little break from posting thru the holidays, had to come back tonight though.

Never quit attitude, last year we lose tonight by 20.

Think there’s a CLEAR top 8 right now.

Zek
House
Green
Fuchs
Cam
Kortright
Foumena
Weston

Always/Brown for spot minutes depending on matchups.

Haven’t understood the Fuchs hate at all. Yes he looked terrible and checked out at Mohegan, but absolutely rock solid since.

House never seemed comfortable as a true #1, Green alleviating that pressure on him. He’s a dog, this team needed an alpha.

Kortright isn’t the most athletic and doesn’t have the best build, but always gets to his spot. Never seems out of sorts.

Great first league win.
Last edited by Rhody15 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
7 x
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

steveystuds06 wrote: 3 months ago
Hearing Archie say that Fuchs might someday risk it all to go after a ref might be the thing that puts me over the line in terms of being in his corner. I already thought he was getting a raw deal on here before and came to his defense a little then, but that was more about us than it was about him really. But now I think I actually like him. He’s a man after my own heart. I’ve always thought nobody hates refs like I do, as a player when I was kid, as a coach and as a fan - I’ve been thrown out of a gym as all three lol. But maybe I’m wrong. Maybe my guy Fuchs is a kindred spirit in that regard.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

TruePoint wrote: 3 months ago
Hearing Archie say that Fuchs might someday risk it all to go after a ref might be the thing that puts me over the line in terms of being in his corner. I already thought he was getting a raw deal on here before and came to his defense a little then, but that was more about us than it was about him really. But now I think I actually like him. He’s a man after my own heart. I’ve always thought nobody hates refs like I do, as a player when I was kid, as a coach and as a fan - I’ve been thrown out of a gym as all three lol. But maybe I’m wrong. Maybe my guy Fuchs is a kindred spirit in that regard.
TP...have you thought about becoming an official?

If not, have you thought about getting some professional counseling for your hatred?
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 months ago Took a little break from posting thru the holidays, had to come back tonight though.

Zek
House
Green
Fuchs
Cam
Kortright
Foumena
Weston

Haven’t understood the Fuchs hate at all. Yes he looked terrible and checked out since Mohegan, but absolutely rock solid since.

House never seemed comfortable as a true #1, Green alleviating that pressure on him. He’s a dog, this team needed an alpha.

Kortright isn’t the most athletic and doesn’t have the best build, but always gets to his spot. Never seems out of sorts.

Great first league win.
I don't get the hate either. He's been good for 4 straight games.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Speaking of the refs , how about that call on Zek where he blocked out the Joes player who ended up landing on top of Zek ? Has there ever been a more ridiculous call than that one ? and the call on Fuchhs where he basically was standing still under the basket ? These refs tonight had an incredibly bad
game . Watched the Dayton game on dvr after the URI game and the refs at Davidson were just as bad in typical fashion for games at Davidson , but despite them Davidson was no match for Dayton .
7 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

rhodyram22 wrote: 3 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 3 months ago Took a little break from posting thru the holidays, had to come back tonight though.

Zek
House
Green
Fuchs
Cam
Kortright
Foumena
Weston

Haven’t understood the Fuchs hate at all. Yes he looked terrible and checked out since Mohegan, but absolutely rock solid since.

Great first league win.
I don't think he's really getting hated on much anymore. Blueman said he played great tonight. Most people have all said Fuchs has been playing much better at the 5. He's looked awesome.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rhodyram22 wrote: 3 months ago

Zek
House
Green
Fuchs
Cam
Kortright
Foumena
Weston

Great first league win.
I don't think he's really getting hated on much anymore. Blueman said he played great tonight. Most people have all said Fuchs has been playing much better at the 5. He's looked awesome.
Yeah I don't think I've been that critical since JW and the Yale game? The dude is quickly becoming a beast though!
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

jcru wrote: 3 months ago I just said the "eagles" are up by 2 and my wife was all over me "they're HAWKS!!"

And I was like, ok, ok, I was thinking large, majestic, predatorial bird from Philly related to sports. So the eagle just popped into my head, I meant no disrespect.

lol.

That, and I'm probably going senile at an early age, so they're that.
Haha! At least eagles are majestic.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 months ago
TP...have you thought about becoming an official?

If not, have you thought about getting some professional counseling for your hatred?
Nah I’m good
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

luke wrote: 3 months ago Speaking of the refs , how about that call on Zek where he blocked out the Joes player who ended up landing on top of Zek ? Has there ever been a more ridiculous call than that one ? and the call on Fuchhs where he basically was standing still under the basket ? These refs tonight had an incredibly bad
game . Watched the Dayton game on dvr after the URI game and the refs at Davidson were just as bad in typical fashion for games at Davidson , but despite them Davidson was no match for Dayton .
Yeah those were both really really bad

We may have caught a break on that and 1 by DG could have been called a charge was very close
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Also let’s give some credit to Jaden who led us with 15 on 6-11 not too many mentions of him going through the posts
3 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

luke wrote: 3 months ago Speaking of the refs , how about that call on Zek where he blocked out the Joes player who ended up landing on top of Zek ? Has there ever been a more ridiculous call than that one ? and the call on Fuchhs where he basically was standing still under the basket ? These refs tonight had an incredibly bad
They were bad all around the league tonight apparently, the UMass/Duquesne had whistle galore in the second half
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

reef wrote: 3 months ago
Yeah those were both really really bad

We may have caught a break on that and 1 by DG could have been called a charge was very close
It was close indeed, looked at the St. Joes board it drove them insane, but going back at the replay you see Greer’s left foot is clipping part of the circle underneath the basket
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Insane efficiency.
The 2nd half of the Brown game being when he started playing exclusively at the 5. Major adjustment and significantly better usage of his skills.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I actually think when he develops further his natural position will be at the 4. Right now the issue is less offensive end but he can’t cover quick athletic 4 men that you see a lot of at mid major level. I do agree right now his best spot for us is at the 5. Him and Green are our best rebounders by a mile.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago I actually think when he develops further his natural position will be at the 4. Right now the issue is less offensive end but he can’t cover quick athletic 4 men that you see a lot of at mid major level. I do agree right now his best spot for us is at the 5. Him and Green are our best rebounders by a mile.
Way too slow. He looked lost. He’s a low post monster, lean into that. His strength is a huge asset he can’t use as much off the low block. That lateral quickness isn’t something you learn necessarily.

He’s a 5, and dare I say going to be a very good one in this conference.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

Unread post by JFrech21 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago I actually think when he develops further his natural position will be at the 4. Right now the issue is less offensive end but he can’t cover quick athletic 4 men that you see a lot of at mid major level. I do agree right now his best spot for us is at the 5. Him and Green are our best rebounders by a mile.
Way too slow. He looked lost. He’s a low post monster, lean into that. His strength is a huge asset he can’t use as much off the low block. That lateral quickness isn’t something you learn necessarily.

He’s a 5, and dare I say going to be a very good one in this conference.
I agree, he’s a 5, or in the old school game a 4 back when the 4 was actually a Power Forward. The only time you can play him at the 4 is if you go against another team with 2 big guys who aren’t 3-point shooters. Like Duke had in that NCAA game in 2018 when we just didn’t have the size to keep up with them. Other than that, I like going smaller with Green and Zek at that stretch 4 spot.
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

If you don’t follow “URI Chickens” on Instagram you should take a look today. President Parlange’s wife Mary (whose account it is) posted a funny clip of the St. joes HAWK, calling him a “chicken” and making fun of his flapping!
6 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 months ago If you don’t follow “URI Chickens” on Instagram you should take a look today. President Parlange’s wife Mary (whose account it is) posted a funny clip of the St. joes HAWK, calling him a “chicken” and making fun of his flapping!
We hit the lottery with the Parlange family.
5 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Archie has that look on his face like "The Colonel" when he stumbled upon the 13 secret herbs and spices to create Kentucky Fried Chicken.

And the REAL secret spice is David Green. He makes all the other spices taste better.

The thing going forward that will be significant is that 1. there will be a lot less tinkering with the lineup, OR 2. the tinkering will be a lot more effective than when Archie looked like he was frustrating himself shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic during the non-conference slate, looking for something, anything, that might work.

Finally, for really the first time during the Archie Era, you see a real lineup with established positions and expectations. There are exceptions like Weston coming back into the fold, but otherwise, this is huge.
4 x
Keaney203
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Keaney203 »

I will now be selling some of my Fuchs stock I bought when it was tanking earlier in the season now that it has returned to more appropriate levels.
4 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I almost didn't bother to attend last night but I'm sure glad I did. The Rams had just a 4.7% chance of winning when they were down 13 with 15 minutes to play. This was therefore a statistically deeper hole they had to overcome compared to even the Yale game.

winProb.png
9 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Gonna be honest, me too.

Early in the season Fuchs was clearly playing out of position at the 4. He's too slow and looked lost, because of that he was late to spots and made a ton of mistakes. I got on him (and held onto this) because he quit on plays in those early games. Probably because he was getting frustrated out of position.

The end of the Brown game was the first time you saw us go to 4 guards and Fuchs at the 5 - it was too little too late, but it looked like a different team. Fuchs then got hurt and we didn't see him until Northeastern, but he belongs at the 5.

I love his emotion, I hate the refs too, and last night I too was considering risking it all and going Jeff Xavier's brother out there. So this is my mea culpa. I was wrong about Fuchs as a player, but man he was tough to watch at the 4. Keep him at the 5 so he can use his size and strength. Just don't play him out of position.

Last night I was screaming because Fuchs got that BS blocking call on a guy that tripped and fell away from Fuchs, and then he fouled out later - I was actually concerned with him out of the game.

He's going to bully a lot of A10 centers this year.
6 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 months ago If you don’t follow “URI Chickens” on Instagram you should take a look today. President Parlange’s wife Mary (whose account it is) posted a funny clip of the St. joes HAWK, calling him a “chicken” and making fun of his flapping!
A homerun hire. Anyone who has had the good fortune of speaking to them knows how funny and down to Earth they both are.

President Parlange was hired after the new independent governing body was formed for URI, right?
2 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 months ago
A homerun hire. Anyone who has had the good fortune of speaking to them knows how funny and down to Earth they both are.

President Parlange was hired after the new independent governing body was formed for URI, right?
Parlange sat behind my dad and I at the scrimmage last season. Great guy. Very supportive of athletics.
3 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

this isn't something to be proud of
0 x
:lol:
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote: 3 months ago I almost didn't bother to attend last night but I'm sure glad I did. The Rams had just a 4.7% chance of winning when they were down 13 with 15 minutes to play. This was therefore a statistically deeper hole they had to overcome compared to even the Yale game.

winProb.png
"It just so happens that we were only mostly dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive."
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Correct. Board of Trustees took effect February 1, 2020, Parlange became President August 1, 2021
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Because I've watched it 253 times so far - can someone explain how Luis' shot wasn't and and-1 situation? Dude got cleared out by the body while he was still in the air and the defender made almost zero attempt at the ball.

Those were some of the worst officials I've ever seen.

That over the back call that the ref decided to invent his own foul on was so bad that the refs called a phantom foul immediately before the inbounds.

Historically terrible whistle last night.
6 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 3 months ago
this isn't something to be proud of
Maybe. Maybe not. To me, refs are the same type of people as most cops. Maybe with a few exception, these are people that in the natural order of things nobody respects - at least not to the degree that they wished and hoped - and so they seek out a situation where they can take a test and put on a goofy uniform and then by law people have to show them the deference and respect they feel they deserve. And that’s fine, I guess. But the nature of people like that seems to be that they then abuse that situation, especially if anyone dares not show them the deference and the respect that they have EARNED by taking a test and putting on a goofy uniform, and that is what I can’t abide. It’s a petty mindset, and it’s why I hate them and will gladly get run out of a gym telling them about it.

And hey, if you have a cousin or a friend or something that is a ref or a cop and you’re thinking that person is a reasonable guy and not a petty, abusive asshole, then I’m probably cool with your cousin or whatever. I know some refs and some cops that are decent people, at least to me when they aren’t refereeing or policing me. I’m of course making a generalization here and I acknowledge that.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 3 months ago Because I've watched it 253 times so far - can someone explain how Luis' shot wasn't and and-1 situation? Dude got cleared out by the body while he was still in the air and the defender made almost zero attempt at the ball.

That over the back call that the ref decided to invent his own foul on was so bad that the refs called a phantom foul immediately before the inbounds.

Always a bad whistle against the flappy birds
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 months ago

Correct. Board of Trustees took effect February 1, 2020, Parlange became President August 1, 2021
Thank you for confirming! Just shows that when there is a URI-specific governing body they make the right moves for the institution.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 3 months ago Because I've watched it 253 times so far - can someone explain how Luis' shot wasn't and and-1 situation? Dude got cleared out by the body while he was still in the air and the defender made almost zero attempt at the ball.

Always a bad whistle against the flappy birds
But normally down in Philly.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

I was as irate as Archie at the 1 second mark when SJU clearly intentionally fouled before the inbounds pass so no time came off the clock - they even reviewed it and couldn't see it....what a sorry set of refs
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I was as irate as Archie at the 1 second mark when SJU clearly intentionally fouled before the inbounds pass so no time came off the clock - they even reviewed it and couldn't see it....what a sorry set of refs
Zek foul on the box out was so bad all I could do was laugh.

Completely inept.
2 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Somebody liked that? The TP post.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938