12/30 | Northeastern | 1:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 12/30 | Northeastern | 1:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 3 months ago
JFrech21 wrote: 3 months ago

It’s the return of Fuchs.
I’ve set it a couple of times, but I think my biggest complaints about Fuchs were basically because he was playing out of position.

The 4 is a skill position nowadays, as seen by David Green and all the other stretch 4’s across college and the pros.

Fuchs does not have any skill. But he’s big and positions himself under the basket. It’s a passable skill set for a 5 that he can build on as he gets older.

As a 5, I’m definitely more OK seeing him out there - but I’d still rather see Foumena.
Fuchs doesn’t have any skill? That’s a wild statement.

I like Fou’s motor but all of his offensive game is soft and finesse. He wants to take fade aways and is easily pushed off his position. I would play him more than or as much as Brown but both of them would be behind Fuchs and Bilau at the 5 spot.
By “skill” I mean Fuchs isn’t a dribbler, shooter, or has a nice touch. I don’t intend it as the insult you’re taking it.

He’s a big body and finds himself in a good spot for rebounds - which is a talent in and of itself.

But when I say “skill,” I’m referring to the 4 - and compare him to David Green or any of the other quick stretch 4’s that we’ll come across. Fuchs was exposed against those types of players, but is very obviously serviceable as a 5.

I still would rather see Foumena (or Bilau) ahead of him at the 5.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 3 months ago The Rhody step back 3's have been brutal today. Almost all have been bad shots.
Almost all were air balls!
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

JFrech21 wrote: 3 months ago One gripe I have is last year everyone KILLING Bassy all year, saying he’s a D3 college player. Why don’t I hear anything about Wright? Tell me something Wright does well?
They look like the same player to me...
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago

I’ve set it a couple of times, but I think my biggest complaints about Fuchs were basically because he was playing out of position.

The 4 is a skill position nowadays, as seen by David Green and all the other stretch 4’s across college and the pros.

Fuchs does not have any skill. But he’s big and positions himself under the basket. It’s a passable skill set for a 5 that he can build on as he gets older.

As a 5, I’m definitely more OK seeing him out there - but I’d still rather see Foumena.
Fuchs doesn’t have any skill? That’s a wild statement.

I like Fou’s motor but all of his offensive game is soft and finesse. He wants to take fade aways and is easily pushed off his position. I would play him more than or as much as Brown but both of them would be behind Fuchs and Bilau at the 5 spot.
By “skill” I mean Fuchs isn’t a dribbler, shooter, or has a nice touch. I don’t intend it as the insult you’re taking it.

He’s a big body and finds himself in a good spot for rebounds - which is a talent in and of itself.

But when I say “skill,” I’m referring to the 4 - and compare him to David Green or any of the other quick stretch 4’s that we’ll come across. Fuchs was exposed against those types of players, but is very obviously serviceable as a 5.

I still would rather see Foumena (or Bilau) ahead of him at the 5.
He’s def more of a classic PF vs a stretch 4 like Green. But I disagree about his skills. First off being an effective rebounder is a skill. I also think eventually he will show more skills facing the basket when the game slows down for him. I think he does have shooting touch and eventually can be effective out to 15 feet. He had a couple really athletic takes today off the dribble and his catch on the pick n roll for the dunk was not an easy one to make.
4 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Looks like Arch is going to restrict Bilau minutes cuz of that knee which is fine as it looks like he will come off the bench

Fuchs DG Zek Jaden and Cam looks like a decent starting 5 with Luis and Bilau as 6 and 7

Tyson Big Fou and Always are battling for rotation minutes 8-10 with Weston out of the rotation
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I see the problem with Foumena being that a pass to him down low hardly ever is passed back out to an open teammate. Today he took a very difficult fallaway jump shot on his first touch down low and was taken out of the game right away. He does seem to have a nice soft jump shot but he has to learn to look for an open teammate for a pass out of the low box.
6 x
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

Happy with the win. Next…. (Please)
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

eli#10 wrote: 3 months ago I see the problem with Foumena being that a pass to him down low hardly ever is passed back out to an open teammate. Today he took a very difficult fallaway jump shot on his first touch down low and was taken out of the game right away. He does seem to have a nice soft jump shot but he has to learn to look for an open teammate for a pass out of the low box.
Yeah he's not perfect, but it's not like he's made as many mistakes as Brown and Fuchs. Weird how his leash is so much shorter.
Last edited by PeterRamTime 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Much more enjoyable and entertaining game.. nice to leave Ryan center and listen to a happy Steve Mcdonald on the post game. Thought Fuchs played well. Double double and showed a little more aggressiveness on both ends of court. When was our last big man double double? Kortright huge the last 10 minutes of the game. Estevez growing before our eyes. Green a big shot in the arm on both ends of the court. Added some toughness on the court that we haven't seen all year. Defense a little better with the 10 steals. Still a ways to go there. Actually had some bodies go to the floor for loose balls. Hopefully they build on this and make some noise in conference. Much better feeling after this game. Rotation taking shape. Now keep guys healthy and see where chips fall.
6 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ram1980 wrote: 3 months ago When was our last big man double double?
Foumena last game :lol:
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 months ago Players thrive off a coaches emotions. Definitely worked with Dan. I saw Archie walk up to Zek I believe and was almost under the basket. Intense.
Players thrive off a coach's emotions? I didn't know that. Was that true with Dean Smith? John Wooden? Bob McKillop? Tony Bennett? Lute Olson? Al Skinner? (Tom Landry, Bill Belichick?)
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Iggy1979 wrote: 3 months ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 3 months ago I liked it when Archie said in the post game he was cutting down the rotation and either you’re on the train or you’re not.
Weston is still standing at the Kingston station.
Yes I watched the You Tube pressers including Arch and he said he’s going to an 8 or 9 man rotation so you better get in that top 8 or 9 or expect a lot of DNPCD
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago
eli#10 wrote: 3 months ago I see the problem with Foumena being that a pass to him down low hardly ever is passed back out to an open teammate. Today he took a very difficult fallaway jump shot on his first touch down low and was taken out of the game right away. He does seem to have a nice soft jump shot but he has to learn to look for an open teammate for a pass out of the low box.
Yeah he's not perfect, but it's not like he's made as many mistakes and Brown and Fuchs. Weird how his leash is so much shorter.
I think Fuchs is better...¯\_(ツ)_/¯
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

So, so, so, who do we think is not on the train? Weston, Dubs, Fou, Brown, others?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

section(105) wrote: 3 months ago So, so, so, who do we think is not on the train? Weston, Dubs, Fou, Brown, others?
Look at the box score for this past game.

train01.jpg
train01.jpg (31.29 KiB) Viewed 1382 times

If you aren't in this list, you probably aren't on the train.

Sounds like there is one more person getting off the train at some point.

My guess is Wright is safe, and there is probably one too many big men.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

This game saw the rise of Cam Estevez as a legitimate starter, half way through the season of his first year.

It saw the emergence of Green, who basically made Weston obsolete.

It saw the return of Fuchs, playing more within himself, more aware of his team players, with a sizable attitude adjustment, and much more effective all around. He made a "leap".

And it saw the transformation of Kortright, into a leader who put the game on his back and willed his team to pull out of a slump that would have tanked this team like it did in 5 previous games.

And it saw a House that quietly rang up 19 points, and was nearly as effective as he was at the beginning of the season when he won A-10 player of the week the first week of the season.

And it was very enjoyable to watch.
6 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 3 months ago
section(105) wrote: 3 months ago So, so, so, who do we think is not on the train? Weston, Dubs, Fou, Brown, others?

train01.jpg

Tyson Brown
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Brown ought to be. Dubs shouldn't.

I wouldn't be surprised if Weston may get on the court at some point.

Hoping Bilau is healthier and can eventually start, or at least get back to 20 minutes.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I’m guessing Archie likes Brown’s D and he continues to play a role situationally moving fwd.

Bilau would be my choice at the 5 if healthy. With Fuchs, Foumena and Brown (in that order) behind him. Fouls happen, injuries happen, etc.

I don’t see many minutes available for Weston at the 3 or 4 with the guys that are ahead of him. Zek, House, Green, Fuchs all have to be on the floor a lot.

While Estevez is a clear starter now it’s interesting that right now Archie doesn’t think he’s ready to run the 1. I don’t think that changes in short term so time will tell. I believe he was a PG at high school level. So it would seem it’s Ways and Luis logging all the minutes at the 1.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Great win for the Rams! This game had all the markings of a transformative game to the rest of the season.

Central to this was the appearance of David Green whose experience, toughness, athletic and scoring ability were apparent from the minute he stepped on the court. And the greatest contribution by Green is that he is a man among boys and will provide the leadership this immature team badly needs.

Nice to see Cam get the starting assignment and his opening the Rams scoring by draining a three was beautiful as was his many moves to the basket. This team still needs to show better ball handling, 15 turnovers is too many. Cam showed his freshman status in this respect and his three first half TO’s were costly leading to NE buckets – from a lazy bounce pass easily intercepted by a NE player, to his getting a rebound under the NE basket followed by NE easily stripping the ball from him like taking candy from a baby, and his most costly one just before half ended when he was easily stripped of the ball thwarting URI potentially going into the locker room with a 9-10 point lead rather than the actual 4 point lead. Sequences like these indicate that Cam should hit the weight room with intensity, he needs to bulk up and build his strength because his development into a key element of this Ram team promises to be a highlight to the season.

Now on to St. Joe’s and the chance to confirm that the Northeastern win was indeed transformative.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

In the post-game Archie specifically mentioned Dubsky having a role at some point
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 3 months ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 months ago Players thrive off a coaches emotions. Definitely worked with Dan. I saw Archie walk up to Zek I believe and was almost under the basket. Intense.
Players thrive off a coach's emotions? I didn't know that. Was that true with Dean Smith? John Wooden? Bob McKillop? Tony Bennett? Lute Olson? Al Skinner? (Tom Landry, Bill Belichick?)
Do you have this sentence saved on your phone or something? You always have a response like this whenever someone discusses how players perform under emotional coaches. Obviously, there are instances where coaches maintain a calm demeanor on the sidelines yet bring out the best in their players. Growing up as a Lakers fan, I watched Phil Jackson exemplify this approach,

However, if you think Archie's passion on the sideline didn't affect our team, IDK what game you were watching. The players displayed more fire and intensity than in any other game this season. This particular team appeared to respond positively to Archie's more intense approach.. Archie was awesome yesterday, and it reminded me of why I was so excited that we hired him. Let's see if we can shock the A10 and beat St. Joe. Or, at the very least, make it competitive.
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Nice to get this win under our belt, should be a benefit going into conference play.
So glad to finally see Green on the court and making a major contribution.
I feel good about some of our young players, they should continue to make a significant impact for us.

Disappointed and surprised about Weston so far, becoming a non-factor.
I did have high hopes for him, things not looking great for him at the moment.

I do wish Foumena would see the court more, I think he is capable of being a major piece in the future.

I do have reservations about Bilau, health-wise not sure how much we can ever count on him.

Like most teams in our conference, I don't see us as being an easy out going forward.
That was my biggest hope, to see improvement and for us to be competitive this season.

Like I previously said, as long as our young players keep maturing on the court and stick around along with some of our veteran core pieces, we may have something special down the road.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago Nice to get this win under our belt, should be a benefit going into conference play.
I feel good about some of our young players, they should continue to make a significant impact for us.

I do wish Foumena would see the court more, I think he is capable of being a major piece in the future.

I do have reservations about Bilau, health-wise not sure how much we can ever count on him.

Like most teams in our conference, I don't see us as being an easy out going forward.
That was my biggest hope, to see improvement and for us to be competitive this season.

Like I previously said, as long as our young players keep maturing on the court and stick around along with some of our veteran core pieces, we may have something special down the road.
Weston disappointed last year with only 8 Assists and 34 Turnovers - a bad ratio
This year he has 10 Assists and 7 Turnovers so improvement and his shots were falling.

Weston had a bad game at UBS vs Delaware with 4 Turnovers. His last 4 games played vs PC, Brown, Delaware and UNH (all 4 losses) Weston went only 4-16 FG and 0-4 3P.

Vs Delaware I observed Weston receiving verbal abuse from some Iona fans across from the URI bench. Iona fans were showing up for the following St Joe matchup. Once the Iona group laughed and yelled when Miller put him in the game in the 2nd half saying “Can you believe he is putting #20 in again?” They were yelling “He’s Shaking” when he came near that part of the court. One Rhody fan up in front row turned around and let the Iona guys have it saying to leave Weston alone. Did you see this Jersey 77 when you were at the game?

Then with 20 seconds left in the Delaware game (and well over by then) Weston unwisely started yapping with a Delaware player. No need for that, game is over. Nothing good will come from that ill-advised interaction.
Weston often hangs his head and/or shakes his head dejectedly when he misses a shot. Then that seems to affect his confidence on his next shot or shots. Instead of taking a miss as a miss he lets the miss impact future missed shots.
Weston also comes out of the game and looks dejected and frustrated when shaking hands on the bench. Not happy when he comes out.
His basketball game emotional intelligence has plenty of room for improvement.
Weston has never started a game at URI, even though guys like Hutchinson and Stewart did start several times last year. Estevez, Wright and now Green have all passed Weston plus House, Montgomery and Kortright are all clearly ahead of him.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago Nice to get this win under our belt, should be a benefit going into conference play.

Weston disappointed last year with only 8 Assists and 34 Turnovers - a bad ratio
This year he has 10 Assists and 7 Turnovers so improvement and his shots were falling.

Weston had a bad game at UBS vs Delaware with 4 Turnovers. His last 4 games played vs PC, Brown, Delaware and UNH (all 4 losses) Weston went only 4-16 FG and 0-4 3P.

Vs Delaware I observed Weston receiving verbal abuse from some Iona fans across from the URI bench. Iona fans were showing up for the following St Joe matchup. Once the Iona group laughed and yelled when Miller put him in the game in the 2nd half saying “Can you believe he is putting #20 in again?” They were yelling “He’s Shaking” when he came near that part of the court. One Rhody fan up in front row turned around and let the Iona guys have it saying to leave Weston alone. Did you see this Jersey 77 when you were at the game?

Then with 20 seconds left in the Delaware game (and well over by then) Weston unwisely started yapping with a Delaware player. No need for that, game is over. Nothing good will come from that ill-advised interaction.
Weston often hangs his head and/or shakes his head dejectedly when he misses a shot. Then that seems to affect his confidence on his next shot or shots. Instead of taking a miss as a miss he lets the miss impact future missed shots.
Weston also comes out of the game and looks dejected and frustrated when shaking hands on the bench. Not happy when he comes out.
Weston has never started a game at URI, even though guys like Hutchinson and Stewart did start several times last year. Estevez, Wright and now Green have all passed Weston plus House, Montgomery and Kortright are all clearly ahead of him.
I don't remember seeing that Ramster, I was actually sitting next to a bunch of St. Joe's fans.

But I do see a lot of frustration in Weston's demeaner.
His confidence seems to really be shaken.
There were so many high expectations for him coming out of HS 4* top 60 and now he isn't even in the rotation.
Last edited by Jersey77 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

I wonder what's going on w/ Zek? He was fantastic vs 2 very good teams in Northwestern and Washington St.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodyram22 wrote: 3 months ago I wonder what's going on w/ Zek? He was fantastic vs 2 very good teams in Northwestern and Washington St.
Against New Hampshire he did have 18 pts/ 8 rebs.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago

I don't remember seeing that Ramster, I was actually sitting next to a bunch of St. Joe's fans.

There were so many high expectations for him coming out of HS 4* top 60 and now he isn't even in the rotation.
Yes. And the Iona fans saw Weston’s demeanor on the court and bench and went after him.

They were saying “he’s shaking” or “he’s shaken” not sure which but they saw it in him in just a portion of a game. Many players keep the same game face, same expression throughout through good, bad and ugly, but Weston is not one of those.
I’ve thought he should have gone the route that Thomas took. Then again Jalen Carey and many others were left without a team after entering the Portal - it’s not without risk.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

rhodyram22 wrote: 3 months ago I wonder what's going on w/ Zek? He was fantastic vs 2 very good teams in Northwestern and Washington St.
He did, I just mean he hasn't been as consistent as he was in the first 7 games.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodyram22 wrote: 3 months ago
He did, I just mean he hasn't been as consistent as he was in the first 7 games.
Unfortunately, the same can be said of several of our players, INCONSISTENCY.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I think you guys are on the right track regarding Weston. His confidence looks fragile as does his attitude and mental toughness. It’s unfortunate because he does have good athleticism and tools to be a factor for us.

I don’t know if he is capable of or if the staff can get him moving in the right direction. I am rooting for the young man but maybe he needs a new start.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I believe Weston’s mom was a ball player.

Which makes it even more surprising that he has little to no basketball awareness and instincts. Great size, great athleticism but no basketball instincts. Some of the body language stuff makes u think he just started playing basketball yesterday. He misses a shot and is immediately dejected. I have to assume he will move on after this season as I don’t see any of the above changing. Too bad I had high hopes when he came in given his frame and rankings. Plus I thought highly of Willard as a recruiter.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 3 months ago I believe Weston’s mom was a ball player.

Which makes it even more surprising that he has little to no basketball awareness and instincts. Great size, great athleticism but no basketball instincts. Some of the body language stuff makes u think he just started playing basketball yesterday. He misses a shot and is immediately dejected. I have to assume he will move on after this season as I don’t see any of the above changing. Too bad I had high hopes when he came in given his frame and rankings. Plus I thought highly of Willard as a recruiter.
Let’s just say it didn’t work out here. It never clicked for him, couple of flashes of what might be, but it just wasn’t sustained. No room on the train, all seats full.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Weston also often complains about Referee Calls and lets that impact his emotional behavior. Others just take Referee calls calmly and without issue.
Weston has had opportunity and many on this board have maintained high expectations for him even to this point while others tend to get a significantly smaller window of patience. Weston is capable of hitting 4 straight 3P’s and show a lot of emotion after each successful attempt but he can also miss 4 straight and show a lot of emotion as well but dejected type emotion. He could do well at a lower level. Too much competition here now and just increased with Estevez and Wright gaining starting roles plus the eligibility of Green to be one of the 4 guards jeopardizes Weston’s minutes.
1 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Loved the trash talking, scrappiness, and Arch was fired up too. DG a difference maker. We've been lacking an alpha on the floor and he can be that guy. Maybe the start of establishing an identity.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 months ago Weston also often complains about Referee Calls and lets that impact his emotional behavior. Others just take Referee calls calmly and without issue.
Weston has had opportunity and many on this board have maintained high expectations for him even to this point while others tend to get a significantly smaller window of patience. Weston is capable of hitting 4 straight 3P’s and show a lot of emotion after each successful attempt but he can also miss 4 straight and show a lot of emotion as well but dejected type emotion. He could do well at a lower level. Too much competition here now and just increased with Estevez and Wright gaining starting roles plus the eligibility of Green to be one of the 4 guards jeopardizes Weston’s minutes.
It definitely isn't going well for him right now, don't know what the future holds for him.

Not even sure at this point what the final decision will be regarding multi-transfers.

Chances are there will be no sitting and then a total free-for-all.
Can't see that being a good thing for us in the long run.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

He has simply not played well and been beaten out for playing time by guys not all that much more talented than him. It happens. He has had many opportunities.
Time for others to show what they can do is the path Miller is taking. Losing streaks can expedite changes. Better now than in Conference play.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

train01.jpg

So I’m thinking the 5 starters are
DG
Zek
Jaden
Fuchs
Cam

6th man Luis 7th Bilau if healthy

Then I think you have guys trying to get to 8-9
Always
Tyson
Big Fou
Weston
Dubs

Arch will probably go with who does well in practice, it’s up to those guys to make the most of their opportunities
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 3 months ago

train01.jpg

So I’m thinking the 5 starters are
DG
Zek
Jaden
Fuchs
Cam

6th man Luis 7th Bilau if healthy

Then I think you have guys trying to get to 8-9
Always
Tyson
Big Fou
Weston
Dubs

Arch will probably go with who does well in practice, it’s up to those guys to make the most of their opportunities
Wright will stay at PG and Kortright will sub for him.
We are very short Point Guards and Kortright is a combo guard at that. Doubt you see neither one of Wright/Kortright not starting.

If Wright doesn’t start then Kortright will. Green is going to put pressure on House, Montgomery minutes. Montgomery with 5 Turnovers last game makes his minutes vulnerable. Miller immediately pulled Montgomery out on 2 of those TOs. Competition is good for everyone.
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Remember Weston missed a game or maybe two due to what was termed personal reasons . Not sure what that was about . Maybe there is something
going on with his family or something that has taken his concentration away or something because at times he was on from three this season .Obviously , Archie must be aware of some issue because Weston didn't even get in . Hope for Brandon's sake that whatever it is can be worked out and he can
be a productive player . He does have a nice shot when he isn't forcing things .
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

If Green is near 100%, gotta start him, no? It is go time.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

More importantly than being a "Rah Rah sis boom Bah!" kind of vocal leader, DG leads by example. And that's his real value to the team.

He only played 21 mins against NE. Making him 6th in total mins played. I would expect more of that: 20-25 mins a game. I really think when the other players see him, and what he's capable of, and see he only plays 20-25 mins, they think "hey, if this guy is that good and can do all of that and doesn't complain about playing time, wtf am I complaining about". And that leads to team chemistry.

The other thing it does, is the opposing team gets a good look at your starters, and sizes them up, and says, "is that all they got? we can take these guys" and then you insert DG in there, and he just takes it to the next level and they don't know how to handle that.

We've seen this over and over with many coaches and many teams over the years. Boeheim was notorious for that move. It just demoralizes the other team when they realize, 8-10 mins into the game, "oh, shit, they got a lot more". Archie pretty much did the same thing with Kortright this past game.

Just Archie starting Wright, but only playing him 8 mins, is a poker move. It's like, we put him in there to start the game, settle the team, put them on this keep even pace, and then lower the boom on them.

I think we just established our starters and our bench, and the bench pretty much consists of Green and Kortright. It's like that second wind when the other team has been lulled into a false sense of security.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

jcru wrote: 3 months ago More importantly than being a "Rah Rah sis boom Bah!" kind of vocal leader, DG leads by example. And that's his real value to the team.

He only played 21 mins against NE. Making him 6th in total mins played. I would expect more of that: 20-25 mins a game. I really think when the other players see him, and what he's capable of, and see he only plays 20-25 mins, they think "hey, if this guy is that good and can do all of that and doesn't complain about playing time, wtf am I complaining about". And that leads to team chemistry.

The other thing it does, is the opposing team gets a good look at your starters, and sizes them up, and says, "is that all they got? we can take these guys" and then you insert DG in there, and he just takes it to the next level and they don't know how to handle that.

We've seen this over and over with many coaches and many teams over the years. Boeheim was notorious for that move. It just demoralizes the other team when they realize, 8-10 mins into the game, "oh, shit, they got a lot more". Archie pretty much did the same thing with Kortright this past game.

Just Archie starting Wright, but only playing him 8 mins, is a poker move. It's like, we put him in there to start the game, settle the team, put them on this keep even pace, and then lower the boom on them.

I think we just established our starters and our bench, and the bench pretty much consists of Green and Kortright. It's like that second wind when the other team has been lulled into a false sense of security.
You could right. As a fan though, I want to see Green (the best player they can put on the floor) for at least 3/4's of the game if he can handle it...30+ minutes, but guessing fouls might could be an issue - he is an aggressive dude on both ends.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Something to keep in mind tho is that Green wasn’t scouted or probably even accounted for in the scout by Northeastern. That won’t be the case moving fwd. I do think he gets the start vs St Joe’s. It’s go time no use holding him back if he’s healthy.

St Joe’s guards will be a very tough matchup for Always so not sure what Archie will do at the 1 to start the game. Reynolds is a potential pro and Greer and Brown are both good.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 3 months ago More importantly than being a "Rah Rah sis boom Bah!" kind of vocal leader, DG leads by example. And that's his real value to the team.

Our opposing teams based on the scouting reports and video will have a very good idea of who our impact players are.
It is a question of if they can stop them and make the proper adjustments.
There are always the surprises that certain unexpected players will have a strong game.

Archie did say he will shrink the rotation to 8-9 players to help build the chemistry and continuity.
The players need to get familiar with their roles.
I also wouldn't be surprised to see him tweak the starting line-up at times.
Of course, fouls and injuries can change some of that.

Now having Green available will make a big difference.
He has the skills to make an impact on the court and is versatile.
Not only that, but he will be our most vocal leader and not afraid get in players faces and call them out.
Also willing to mix it up with the opposing team, I like his fire, something this team was sorely lacking.
Hopefully he can stay out of foul trouble, that may come with time.

I was really off-base on him when we were first showing interest and then when he committed.
So happy I was proven wrong.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 3 months ago Weston also often complains about Referee Calls and lets that impact his emotional behavior. Others just take Referee calls calmly and without issue.
I don't know. I think about 90% of players bitch about calls. Look at LeBron and Tatum, two of NBA's best. They complain about every call and many young players who have looked up to LeBron since they were kids follow his lead.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

section(105) wrote: 3 months ago If Green is near 100%, gotta start him, no? It is go time.
It looks to me like he's fully ready. He did look out of breath a few times, but that's just getting into 'game shape' and the only way to do that is to play.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Wright will stay at PG and Kortright will sub for him.
We are very short Point Guards and Kortright is a combo guard at that. Doubt you see neither one of Wright/Kortright not starting.
Post game show, the radio guys were talking about having Wright continue to start to "set the pace" or something along those lines, turning into a role player...
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Seems like Weston has a lot going on. Could still be dinged up too.

Not giving up on him yet.

Happy New Year!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!