Season Ticket Reseating & Sales

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: Season Ticket Reseating

Unread post by adam914 »

URIGONZO wrote:Iggy, I'm very interested about the upcoming season. Having to be at a computer at 7:05 last night kept me from playing 9 holes of golf after work on a beautiful Rhode Island summer evening. I think they are making this extremely complicated instead of saying "If you want your same seats as last year, you have until x to renew, or else new people interested can purchase them." This whole idea of thinking that making people crazy at reseating time and going into their pockets for more $$$ to make their selection time earlier is absolutely nuts.
Saying that you can't miss 9 holes of golf on one Tuesday night every couple years isnt really a ringing endorsement for the type of fanbase most complain about us not having.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

ATPTourFan wrote:I don't think they should have let people keep their seats no matter what. Demand for seats is increasing and will continue to increase as the team gets better under Hurley. The program needs money and all the other successful programs we can aspire to be (like VCU, etc) do this or even have straight up seat licenses.

For now, without seat licenses (too early to do that to the fan base), reseating every several years ensures that people continue to be motivated to give if they want the best seats.

You did have the option to email/fax/snailmail a form to indicate your preference to keep your existing seats IF THEY WERE STILL AVAILABLE at your selection time. I think you would also indicate a few other options so they can find the best match for your preferences in the event your previous seats were not available when your turn came up.

I can understand not liking the idea of potentially losing your seats, but we were all given 3 options for participating in this process with one of them allowing you to make your decision well in advance to avoid the need to be online some weeknight evening.

I'm obviously far from the top in priority point ranking, so I was prepared for the chance that I would not have had my old seats.
Exactly.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I was on the golf course Monday night when my time came up (well at the bar actually). Called in Tuesday and ended up with my same seats. So I suppose TP was right that it was kind of much ado about nothing. Hopefully in 2 years I will have to be much more diligent, due to our on-court success.
0 x
bpaz11
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bpaz11 »

I thought the process was simple and I'm happy with my seats, but I wasn't happy with the time I had to select. I guess no time is going to be perfect but I would have given my right arm for a Tuesday night. Instead I had 12:45 on Saturday. Who wants to be running home in the middle of the day on a Saturday in August? I had to plan my day around being home for that time then go back about my business. When they do it again in 2 years hopefully they avoid weekends after 11 a.m. so a weekend day doesn't get tied up.
0 x
Bee311
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Bee311 »

I agree with the timing being inconvienent - I had 8:15 on Friday night.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

The fact that I spent a grand on season tickets in each of the last 2 years should preclude me from having to be fearful of losing my seats. There should be more loyalty toward ticket holders who have been there during awful periods in the program.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

URIGONZO wrote:The fact that I spent a grand on season tickets in each of the last 2 years should preclude me from having to be fearful of losing my seats. There should be more loyalty toward ticket holders who have been there during awful periods in the program.
I completely disagree. If we operate this way we will not become the big time program we all hope be. It's that simple.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

URIGONZO wrote:The fact that I spent a grand on season tickets in each of the last 2 years should preclude me from having to be fearful of losing my seats. There should be more loyalty toward ticket holders who have been there during awful periods in the program.
I can appreciate that, Gonzo, but I could say the same since I have bought two "club" seats in section 205 over the past 7 seasons with the exception of 11-12 when I couldn't attend games due to the birth of my son.

Loyalty is considered since the priority points are based on 10 (or more?) years of giving and seat purchases and bonuses are provided based on consecutive years giving.

We can agree to disagree. I'm happy that there is more competition for seats which results in more revenue to basketball and ultimately all URI Athletics programs.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

Well, I've donated more than a grand, and been a season ticket holder longer than 2 years (also more than a grand, annually).

Were I to want to move down to 104/105 (don't worry, I'm happy where I am), why should I be told no? I've seen more awful seasons than you, right?

Conversely, I have no issue with someone who donates more than me, and has been a season ticket holder longer (ie, more priority points) taking my seats if they wanted. This system might be bad for me personally, but it's good for the program, which is what I care more about than some selfish adhesion to a piece of plastic to watch a basketball game.

Plus, is there a bad seat in the Ryan Center? I really haven't found too many.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Gonzo,
You started this "Season Ticket Reseating" post subject on July 18th. There have been 209 replies, and astoundingly, 4613 views!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :shock: :o :shock: :o
There are those who could give a rat's ass what you think about loyalty, etc.,
There are those who believe that loyalty is a very noble thing, etc.,
As I've posted, before and since I banned myself for two weeks, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ talks, it corrupts people's self-importance to the success of the University, it makes people believe that obnoxiousness is where it's at, and diminishes the sense of community.
So, those of us who can't, can't.
Those who can, and have had enough, won't.
Those who can and will, will -- always, because they know they can and make sure to let everyone else know they can.
They will remind all of us that there is a new reality that is forever….Money above all else.
But, that's okay, GONZO, I still have my Maserati. 8-)
0 x
zporiri
Steve Chubin

Unread post by zporiri »

hey guys, ive been a lurker on this site and have visited almost everyday since last fall but don't post much. forgive me if this was already posted, but i found a link with seating descriptions for the 2013-2014 bball season. unfortunately it looks like the student section hasn't changed since last year :( i think the divide between (what was) the mob and the rest of the students made the other students feel less involved and i was hoping the student seating would change this year, but it doesn't look like it has.

http://www.gorhody.com/tickets/men-s_ba ... BDRAFT.pdf
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Well, not sure if that's going to be a major issue since there's no more MOB. If you are in the student section, you ARE THE STUDENT SECTION, which means you make NOISE the whole damn game. No more relying on the 12 kids in the front row baseline.
0 x
zporiri
Steve Chubin

Unread post by zporiri »

even if there is no "mob", i think the problem will remain the same. the kids who are really into rhody bball will come early and get the good seats, and the kids who dont care as much will be in the section behind them. i was one of those 12 students on the baseline haha, and there was definitely a big different in mentality from the two sections, and i think everyone sitting down in the 200 section (as opposed to standing) had a big part of that. im just hoping that with more wins, more students will get really into the games. i understand what you're saying about all students owning the mentality of being THE student section, and i want for that to happen so badly. it just hasn't happened yet.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

People like you, zporiri, who want the good seats, come early, "…and the kids who don't care as much…." says it ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You and "The Magnificent Eleven" could set-up some sort of STUDENT BOOSTER CLUB --with Coach Hurley's blessing, of course -- and initially set a goal of getting 100 or 200 students to be as whacked-out and enthusiastic as YOU FOLKS ARE!!!!!!!! Coach Hurley, I would imagine, would be all for it, help you out to some extent trying to whip-up some freakin' enthusiasm on campus. USE YOUR CREATIVE GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU'RE IN FREAKIN' COLLEGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Instead of "High Noon" on the Quad, sponsor something like "High Hoops on the Quad"!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
0 x
zporiri
Steve Chubin

Unread post by zporiri »

i would've loved to have done that, but i was president for another organization during my junior and senior years on campus which took up the majority of my time (i graduated this past may). my involvement with intervarsity christian fellowship was a higher priority for me than my involvement with the mob :). agreed though, student initiative needs to be there. the school can help the group a lot, but without students behind it and student leadership, it will fail
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Congrats, to you, upon receiving your diploma!!!!!! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

P.S. Pass on my previous posting to someone in the "Magnificent Eleven!!!!!"
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Intervarsity is a great organization; does lots of really good things. Congrats on your graduation.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

So... to get back on topic. Did everyone get to select their seats?
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Yes! I just wish the games would start already. 1 last Italy game today and then what will we do for the next 2.5 months?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

How do we find out how many season tickets have been sold this year as compared to the last few years?
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

I believe that they won't open up season tickets to the general public until August 19th. I'm sure new season ticket holder sales will be brisk so we won't have numbers for a while yet
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RoadyJay wrote:I believe that they won't open up season tickets to the general public until August 19th. I'm sure new season ticket holder sales will be brisk so we won't have numbers for a while yet
I'm hoping to get one of the mini-plans. Any idea when these go on sale? Obviously, the schedule would have to be finalized first.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

I'd imagine within the next few weeks. My assumption would be finalizing the schedule will be a priority upon returning from Italy.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Just checked GoRhody.com and mini plans were announced on Sept 8 last year.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The first task on selling tickets for next season is to reseat the existing season tickets and those people who made a earlier financial commitment to become a new season ticket holder. Once they know exactly what seats are accounted for by that group, then the window opens (about mid August) for new season tickets purchases by fans who did not make a prior commitment. This campaign will take several weeks with some strong promotion to maximize attracting a bevy of new subscribers.

Once that phase is complete, then the mini plans will become available - early September. Much later in October, single game tickets will go on sale. In the case of attracting new season ticket holders and mini plan plan purchases, the carrot will be the availability of PC game tickets.

Single game buyers will be left with the dregs. Not a problem if you want to see URI play Maine, but against PC and any top A-10 opponent you will either be shut out or in the rafters. This will play out differently depending on the performance of the Rams, but good seats will be scarce if the Rams meet or exceed expectations.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Absolutely correct, Obadiah.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

When there's a winning-program, people won't care where they sit when only "X" amount of tickets are left -- as long as they're sitting!!!!! They just way to be there and part of the experience!!!!!!!! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

So URI, at this point, has 410 season-ticket accounts, which I guess would be about 1100-1200 people. Does that sound right? Anyone know what the high and low for season tickets has been?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Most URI ticket records happened in Jack Kraft's time.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

rodfromcranston wrote:Most URI ticket records happened in Jack Kraft's time.
..when Mo Z had Keaney's capacity at 7000 or so!!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

No, we averaged around 9,000 in the PCC, where we played about half
our games then.
Keaney did have a 4,400 capacity before renovations.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

I worked as a student usher back in the day(76-78) and we would see box scores with attendance at Keaney of 6000-7000 and wonder where the hell he came up with that number. The place was packed, though. I remember a Washington State game that was crazy. Not 7000 packed, however. I loved the Moe Zarchen days!
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Attendance at the Ryan Center was VERY high during it's first 2 years of existence. That Pittsburgh game the first year RC opened was nuts, and the St. Joes game with Delonte and Jameer was also crazy the following year.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

First two seasons in the Ryan Center were well attended, but the record for avg home game attendance was set in 07-08 at almost 6,000 per game.

Code: Select all

SEASON	  AVG 	GAMES	RECORD	COMMENT
2012-13	 4,291 	15	8-21	
2011-12	 3,829 	15	7-24	
2010-11	 4,537 	16	20-14	A10 H(1) CBI H(1)
2009-10	 5,227 	17	26-10	A10 H(1) NIT H(2)
2008-09	 5,300 	14	23-11	
2007-08	 5,915 	15	21-12	
2006-07	 4,486 	15	19-14	
2005-06	 4,760 	16	14-14	
2004-05	 4,659 	14	6-22	
2003-04	 5,751 	17	20-14	NIT H(1)
2002-03    5,658    17   19-12   A10 H(1) NIT H(2)
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

07-08 was Will Daniel's senior year?
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

ATP, didn't we play AT Creighton in a NIT game in '09-'10?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I think if Baron had stayed last year's attendance would've been about 3,200, which means Hurley was worth 1,000 fans a game.
(Thanks for the info, but what I'm really looking for is the number of season ticket holders ....)
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote:ATP, didn't we play AT Creighton in a NIT game in '09-'10?
For my table, I was only looking at Ryan Center home games. To answer your question, the NIT @ Creighton game was in March 2008 in Will Daniels' final appearance in a Ram uniform.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

that was the lost 7 of the last 9 that year...
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

What a disaster that year turned out to be. That team was far too talented to end that way; they had NCAA calibre talent.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am expecting attendance records this year as we will be as advertised
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Agree reef, if they come out of the game hot I would expect the place to be rocking for every home game.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The opening of the Ryan Center was a great opportunity to really increase attendance. It however was squandered. The first two years started off well on the court and at the turnstiles. All forward momentum however was lost in years 3, 4, and 5 when the team's performance fell off. It rebounded in year six when the team got off to a great start with an NCAA bid looking like a real possibility. That season as noted above ended disastrously with no NCAA and things have pretty much been downhill ever since. In order for URI to put fans in the seats, the team needs to win and it needs to do so consistently in order to sustain and grow attendance. The up and down nature of the program in the last decade has hurt attendance and the novelty/newness of the Ryan Center is now a distant memory which can no longer be exploited.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yeah, I don't think we'll be breaking that 07-08 record with almost 6000 on hand every game, but I would be very happy to see a season average of 5500. I'm thinking this is possible due to the PC game sellout and what should be very well attended games in January and February as the team really comes together against the A10.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I think it'll depend, as it always does, on the team's performance. If they're on pace for 20 to 25 wins, and win games early out of conference, then I think 5,500 to 6,000 is very doable. Based on past precedent, although only with a sample size of one coach and around 10 years of data, that seems to be the attendance figure for a 20-win team. However, I think it's more likely that the team does experience some growing pains this year, with a win total in the low to high teens, which I think would produce more of an attendance result near 5,000 per game. I imagine that might disappoint some, but that's pretty, pretty, pretty good for a team coming off consecutive under-10 win seasons, with only a new coach as the draw to fans. (As is, I thought the paper number of about 4,200 a game for a bad team that everyone knew was going to be bad was really impressive.)
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Received my season tix printed invoice in the mail today along with a form to buy more PC game tickets and a hand-signed cover letter from Adam Schemm.

I will take advantage of the 50/50 payment plan where half is due by Sept 15 and the balance by Oct 15.

This is the rare occasion where I'm happy to receive a bill in the mail!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Season Tickets sales are now OPEN to everyone who has not placed a deposit or had tickets last season.

Call 401-874-RAMS or CLICK HERE to order online.

Mini Plans go on sale September 9.
Single Game tickets available October 16.

0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

My wife and I are graduating from the mini plan to season tickets. Was filling out the online application but did not see a way to choose my seats other than a price selection. Does anyone know if there is a way on line to choose the exact seats we want
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Last season I went personally to the Ryan Center and met with one of their Marketing folks. They took me around the Ryan Center and showed me what was available. It was good to see the view from my actual seats before I chose them.

I'm sure you could also call and ask specifically what is available and ask about specific section/row/seat if you have some already in mind.

I'd say take the trip though if you can. It's a good way to get to know some of the staff.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Excellent advice, R-J! Way-back-when, the salesperson brought me onto the court and then let me sit in my choice seats. AWESOME EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x