Tammi's Approach

Discuss everything related to the women's team.
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Tammi's Approach

Unread post by PeteRI »

Pretty sad state of affairs how little activity there is on this board. Given the disappointing performance so far it's understandable.

Tammi's preferential treatment of her precious grad transfers is preventing freshmen players - with the notable exception of undersized guard Vital - from regular playing time. And that policy will ultimately hurt recruiting. Why would any freshman want to come here if she will be cemented to the bench?

I understand the desire to bring experience to the team. But not if it prevents freshmen from developing as important members of the team.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Tammi's Approach

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PeteRI wrote: 4 months ago Pretty sad state of affairs how little activity there is on this board. Given the disappointing performance so far it's understandable.

Tammi's preferential treatment of her precious grad transfers is preventing freshmen players - with the notable exception of undersized guard Vital - from regular playing time. And that policy will ultimately hurt recruiting. Why would any freshman want to come here if she will be cemented to the bench?

I understand the desire to bring experience to the team. But not if it prevents freshmen from developing as important members of the team.
And except for a couple of games here and there, I don't think the 2 grad transfers are playing that well. Tammi had Maye sit pretty much for 2 years and she stayed, but things have changed dramatically in the past couple of years. If Tammi gets more experienced guards in the portal again next year and Eva and Katie, who were both very highly touted coming out of high school, think they won't have bigger roles, I can't see them sticking around.
2 x
scorpio
Abdul Fox

Unread post by scorpio »

It looks like the head coach reads this message board. :-)

2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Let me just preface this by saying that I don't believe I was one of the people that were vocal about playing the two freshman, DeChent and Ledden, more. Nor do I think I was vocally trashing the two grad students that much either, except to say that there are some obvious differences to the grad students we had last year. I really don't think that is all that harsh of a criticism. I try to be fair.

But just because I didn't write it here, doesn't mean I wasn't thinking it inside my brain.

It sounds to me, if you want to break down these statements, that Tammi had a Catch-22 of her own making.

Namely, she isn't going to play someone unless they WOW her in practice. Fine. But the players that were WOWING you in practice are also the same players that weren't showing up on game day. Whereas there have always been players out there in college basketball who don't impress in practice, but under the bright lights is where they ramp it up to a 10 and do their best work. Some people just need to have to play for something tangible, and practice is just practice to them.

So, perhaps going forward, if you absolutely must have players that sweat and bleed in practice, go visit their practices discretely and camp out instead of just watching their games, before you make an offer. Because maybe these girls were always like that and Tammi making them do it different is the first time they ever had to in their careers. And clearly you chose them for the accolades they earned in actual games, not because their high school coach said they were a gym rat in practice.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Let me also qualify that statement by saying, that I don't think Tammi is wrong. In fact, she sounds a lot like Dan Hurley.

But at the same token, it does offer an explanation as to what has been happening this first third of the season.

In an ideal world, your best players would also lead the intensity in practice. And the older players, would instill that in the incoming players, and the cycle would go round and round. She just is facing a situation where a couple of players who haven't earned it in practice, could have probably made a difference in some of the close ones.
1 x
Spook5365
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Spook5365 »

Well I said it I’ll own up to it. Im sure Tammi’s is correct also, I’m just blathering on a message board.
0 x
Spook5365
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Spook5365 »

Spook5365 wrote: 4 months ago Well I said it I’ll own up to it. Im sure Tammi is correct also, I’m just blathering on a message board. Nothing bad about any individual they are just not a good 3 pt shooting team overall and I thought trying something(someone) different might be worth a shot.
0 x