12/21 | New Hampshire | 6:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Re: 12/21 | New Hampshire | 6:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago
spookydog wrote: 4 months ago
theblueram wrote: 4 months ago

I'm thinking there are magnets on that plastic to hold the pins down. This needs to be investigated. That guy laid a strike right down the middle.
The floor is wood, not metal.
Still...a more intriguing story than URI vs UNH
A donut with no hole is a danish.
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 months ago Last year was the worst offensive team I’ve seen in years
This year is the worst defensive team I’ve seen in years
Worst defense since Baron's final year, per KenPom... and it's alarmingly close. One or two more bad showings and it could dip below that.
I believe in the coach and I do really like the defensive philosophy. The problem with it is that it’s very complex. Tony Bennett was successful once he had players in the system for multiple years with the ability to learn it and execute it and well. Today’s college hoops landscape doesn’t really allow for that. No idea if Archie is willing to “dumb it down” to an extent. For those of us Patriots fans, the system is similar to a wide receiver trying to learn the Brady/McDaniels playbook. It just doesn’t work.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago If a player quits playing hard because a coach yells at him, sorry, that's on the player, not the coach. Archie hasn't lost his knowledge of the game. He knows what his players have to do and he's coaching them to do it. They're just not doing it. If House or any other player is quitting on the team because Archie yells at him, he should transfer again. Find kids with better attitudes.
If it's a random player like Bray last year. 100%... But if Archie isn't connecting with most of his players in back-to-back years and multiple players look checked out, that's coaching to me.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago
Taylor Swift wrote: 4 months ago

This may be the most disappointing stat I’ve ever read for this program. Ever.
Not at all.

Three of those players stink/aren’t scoring threats, shouldn’t expect many points from them.
Why are they playing 25% of the minutes then?
Exactly
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

The aftermath, need to hire a disaster cleanup and restoration company. If Archie has already lost the locker room, the continued losses will result in toxic locker room. That is no exactly a news flash here, but difficult for a coach to get it back. For me, overly simplistic. Coaches need to evolve and adapt to the environments their programs encounter. Unfortunately, I don’t see that happening. To quote Archie in post game. “We/ll see where we go from here……..”. Gotta step away, I need the week off. Out.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
scine20
ARD

Unread post by scine20 »

So far this year the University of Rhode Island men's basketball team has lost at home to Brown, for the second straight year and UNH, a school they'd been 44-3 against previously. UNH by the way has never made the NCAA Tournament while Brown hasn't been since 1986. If this isn't a low point for the school's team, at least in the Ryan Center era, I really have no idea what it is.
2 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

At least we beat jwu
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 4 months ago At least we beat jwu
And Assumption, don't forget Assumption
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

section(105) wrote: 4 months ago The aftermath, need to hire a disaster cleanup and restoration company. If Archie has already lost the locker room, the continued losses will result in toxic locker room. That is no exactly a news flash here, but difficult for a coach to get it back. For me, overly simplistic. Coaches need to evolve and adapt to the environments their programs encounter. Unfortunately, I don’t see that happening. To quote Archie in post game. “We/ll see where we go from here……..”. Gotta step away, I need the week off. Out.
Can't really say and don't really know what is going on in the locker room but can't imagine it is good.
Anyway, this is where Archie really needs to earn his $ and get things turned around fast.

We were told all off-season how much more talented this team is and how proud he was of the staff's ability in putting this roster together.
Okay that was all wonderful talk, now we need to see some positive results.
Bottom line the HC is accountable, and it is all on Archie, he steers the ship.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 4 months ago
section(105) wrote: 4 months ago The aftermath, need to hire a disaster cleanup and restoration company. If Archie has already lost the locker room, the continued losses will result in toxic locker room. That is no exactly a news flash here, but difficult for a coach to get it back. For me, overly simplistic. Coaches need to evolve and adapt to the environments their programs encounter. Unfortunately, I don’t see that happening. To quote Archie in post game. “We/ll see where we go from here……..”. Gotta step away, I need the week off. Out.
Can't really say and don't really know what is going on in the locker room but can't imagine it is good.
Anyway, this is where Archie really needs to earn his $ and get things turned around fast.

We were told all off-season how much more talented this team is and how proud he was of the staff's ability in putting this roster together.
If you have the time, listening to Archie's and Tammi's post game pressers were like night and day. Tammi sounds like, no matter what's happening, she has a plan. Arch just seems totally bewildered right now...
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

PCFriars wrote: 4 months ago
SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 months ago Last year was the worst offensive team I’ve seen in years
This year is the worst defensive team I’ve seen in years
Worst defense since Baron's final year, per KenPom... and it's alarmingly close. One or two more bad showings and it could dip below that.
I believe in the coach and I do really like the defensive philosophy. The problem with it is that it’s very complex. Tony Bennett was successful once he had players in the system for multiple years with the ability to learn it and execute it and well. Today’s college hoops landscape doesn’t really allow for that. No idea if Archie is willing to “dumb it down” to an extent. For those of us Patriots fans, the system is similar to a wide receiver trying to learn the Brady/McDaniels playbook. It just doesn’t work.
I agree on this - Archie needs to adapt. With constant transfers you can’t expect a steady group of guys who know the defense to make it work year over year. Prior to the 2 time transfer rule changes (maybe) I expected most of these guys to be here next year, so it would make sense to build a complex D and have a roster next year that is good at it. Now, maybe not so much.

I also have my concerns about the D philosophy in general - it worked a decade ago, but things have change drastically in basketball. Now most teams (except us for unknown reason) have a bunch of guys who can drain 3s. 6-8 guys hitting 3s and handling the ball used to be a top player, now you find guys like that on low level D1 schools. The game is moving out to perimeter but we are playing a D that focuses on the interior.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 4 months ago

If you have the time, listening to Archie's and Tammi's post game pressers were like night and day. Tammi sounds like, no matter what's happening, she has a plan. Arch just seems totally bewildered right now...
Yeah, I'd expect their press conferences were night and day yesterday. But go listen to one of Tammi's after a loss this season and it's not much different. She's also consistently knocked the togetherness of her squad this season, just like Archie has been doing lately
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago If you have the time, listening to Archie's and Tammi's post game pressers were like night and day. Tammi sounds like, no matter what's happening, she has a plan. Arch just seems totally bewildered right now...
Yeah, well, after the last game, I said if he was that bewildered, and has no clue as to what to do next to right this, do the honorable thing and step down and give someone else a chance. Maybe the players would respond to a completely different coach with completely different sets of game plans.

But I was told by Bos8 "what kind of message does quitting send to college players". How about Responsibility for starters? How about, "fake it until you make it" is not the way to go in life? How about, instead of taking $2.5 mil of the school and donor's money, admit that you cannot do the job. Stop wasting everyone's time?
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

jcru wrote: 4 months ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago If you have the time, listening to Archie's and Tammi's post game pressers were like night and day. Tammi sounds like, no matter what's happening, she has a plan. Arch just seems totally bewildered right now...
Yeah, well, after the last game, I said if he was that bewildered, and has no clue as to what to do next to right this, do the honorable thing and step down and give someone else a chance. Maybe the players would respond to a completely different coach with completely different sets of game plans.

But I was told by Bos8 "what kind of message does quitting send to college players". How about Responsibility for starters? How about, "fake it until you make it" is not the way to go in life? How about, instead of taking $2.5 mil of the school and donor's money, admit that you cannot do the job. Stop wasting everyone's time?
Absolutely I said that. I'm trying to help you out. You sound stupid and are displaying that you have absolutely never been involved with any sort of athletics beyond the little league level.
3 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

rhodylaw wrote: 4 months ago I agree on this - Archie needs to adapt. With constant transfers you can’t expect a steady group of guys who know the defense to make it work year over year. Prior to the 2 time transfer rule changes (maybe) I expected most of these guys to be here next year, so it would make sense to build a complex D and have a roster next year that is good at it. Now, maybe not so much.

I also have my concerns about the D philosophy in general - it worked a decade ago, but things have change drastically in basketball. Now most teams (except us for unknown reason) have a bunch of guys who can drain 3s. 6-8 guys hitting 3s and handling the ball used to be a top player, now you find guys like that on low level D1 schools. The game is moving out to perimeter but we are playing a D that focuses on the interior.
100%. Great post.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Bos8 wrote: 4 months ago Absolutely I said that. I'm trying to help you out. You sound stupid and are displaying that you have absolutely never been involved with any sort of athletics beyond the little league level.
Enjoy the suck.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Not saying he should quit or that he's going to...he just seems kinda lost
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

If this team were any more lost, they'd be on the side of a milk carton
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Definitely a locker room issue. This isn’t the team we saw in November.
4 x
GO RAMS
class of 86
Michael Andersen

Unread post by class of 86 »

I heard some heckler saying we want Cox ....we want Cox
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Archie has done a lousy job bringing in transfers, he's been better with freshmen, the 2 coming in next season could be good.

He needs to find transfers from the same level and or P5's. Lower level transfers aren't going to cut it for the most part.

Dan brought in guys who fit his system. Archie needs to do the same, if not then he needs to change. The pack line takes time to learn plus the ability to do so.

Problem now is, who wants to come for a year or two seeing how bad we are?
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Bos8 wrote: 4 months ago Absolutely I said that. I'm trying to help you out. You sound stupid and are displaying that you have absolutely never been involved with any sort of athletics beyond the little league level.
Enjoy the suck.
Ok??? But I don't think that has anything to do with why I am calling you uninformed and dumb. Because your previous post showed that you are in fact, are just that.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm expecting another major roster turnover next season.

That's not good for a program at our level, it's a lot harder to coach up a bunch of lower level transfers versus programs that can attract 4 and 5 star recruits every season..

Like UConn.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Bos8 wrote: 4 months ago

Absolutely I said that. I'm trying to help you out. You sound stupid and are displaying that you have absolutely never been involved with any sort of athletics beyond the little league level.
Bos it’s tough talking to people on here who don’t know much.
1 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 months ago Archie has done a lousy job bringing in transfers, he's been better with freshmen, the 2 coming in next season could be good.

He needs to find transfers from the same level and or P5's. Lower level transfers aren't going to cut it for the most part.

Dan brought in guys who fit his system. Archie needs to do the same, if not then he needs to change. The pack line takes time to learn plus the ability to do so.

Problem now is, who wants to come for a year or two seeing how bad we are?
I think we are mostly seeing that Archie maybe had absolutely no idea what it takes to bring a team out of the basement of the A-10.

I think he has enough talent, but he seems to not know how to manage things when they go wrong. The injuries and players availability has certainly hurt, but his substitution patterns have made things much worse. Doesn't seem like he has a feel for the game, like he pre plans how he will substitute sometimes.

Not benching Brown for almost the entire second half for Foumena was horrible.

Fou is bigger, more athletic, more skilled, plays harder and has more upside than Brown and Fuchs but is somehow fourth on the depth chart. It makes no sense at all.

Randomly subbing in Dubs in the Charleston game then never doing that again. Rory's random appearances. Cam not getting more more run etc.

These guys need confidence over everything though, that's for sure. They need confidence and stability on the roster and with playing time.
1 x
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

For what it’s worth, URI was 4-6 vs. Archie Miller Dayton teams from 2011-2017.
0 x
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

Unread post by JFrech21 »

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago Brown, Wright, Weston and Stewart play a combined 66 minutes and scored 8 points.
Not at all.

Three of those players stink/aren’t scoring threats, shouldn’t expect many points from them.
*Four of those players stink/aren't scoring threats, shouldn't expect many points from them.

-Fixed it for you.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Will we win another game this year?
IMG_1714.jpeg
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

As of now espn has us above 50% in 2 games…
Fordham at home, and st louis.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Agreed. Especially when someone, who thinks they know more than everyone else, can't comprehend what people write 95% of the time and forms no real opinion of their own about players, all the while criticizing everyone else who does
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I read these posts and I thank the good Lord that none of these posters are decision makers.

You are the people that would've fired Dan Hurley in December 2016, and then again in Feb 2017. I'm having deja vu down to the same exact complaints that were made about Dan "lost the locker room, no feel for the game, doesn't adapt, too stubborn to change" ....etc, etc, etc.

Breathe people. Good God.
5 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Since we hardly win a game as an underdog lately, that prediction if it comes true will have to result in a coaching change.

I can't believe this would be possible.

We can only hope Blue Man.

AM is not DH. Not close.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Yesterday’s attendance was 3300.

Is that the lowest since the building opened?

Not counting covid, of course.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote: 4 months ago Yesterday’s attendance was 3300.

I saw that, thought it was a typo and someone added an extra "0"
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Meaning there were actually under 2000 people in the seats at best.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

1 x
GO RAMS
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

RamStock wrote: 4 months ago

Meaning there were actually under 2000 people in the seats at best.
Dan’s team drew 2710 vs Maine in December’11.
That may be the record low.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

JFrech21 wrote: 4 months ago

Not at all.

*Four of those players stink/aren't scoring threats, shouldn't expect many points from them.

-Fixed it for you.
I like Weston, don’t think he stinks.
1 x
Go Rhody
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

They count season ticket holders whether they are there or not.

Listen, I do not want to climb on the fire Archie train.

I'm not there yet. But it will happen sooner rather than later if this level of suck continues into next season.

If Archie could somehow get this team to play to the best of their ability, or at least close to it, what could our record be at the end of the season? There is some talent here, but it's being mismanaged big time.

I certainly didnt expect top 4 or at large, but damn it I expected to see improvement and at minimum a .500 record or slightly better.

With this coach I dont think that's too much to expect. The fact that we actually might be worse than last years team is what's so hard to take.
Last edited by rambone 78 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 4 months ago I read these posts and I thank the good Lord that none of these posters are decision makers.

You are the people that would've fired Dan Hurley in December 2016, and then again in Feb 2017. I'm having deja vu down to the same exact complaints that were made about Dan "lost the locker room, no feel for the game, doesn't adapt, too stubborn to change" ....etc, etc, etc.

All we can do is go off of what we see Blueman.. Most of us know he's not getting fired or should be fired in year 2. But he's getting outcoached regularly by low-major coaches. There is no excuse to lose to Brown and New Hampshire at home. Dan was 14-18 in year 2. Lost to PC by 1. Beat Brown and New Hampshire, but most importantly, we knew if the team stayed healthy the following year, we could be a very good team. I don't feel that way at all right now.

That's my biggest worry. When will we be competitive? By year 4? Year 5? That's not good enough with his salary...Will Cam stay? Will Fou? Will Hammond still come? The question arises: what advantage is there in joining our program now? To potentially lose against a series of low-ranked opponents and face predictions of finishing last in the A10, playing in an empty Ryan Center, all under the guidance of a coach seemingly struggling with rotations and his locker room. He needs to turn things around now and have some momentum going into next year because it could get ugly if it keeps going this way. I just wanted a .500 season. Or close to one... Now I just want to see double digit wins..Man this sucks...
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 months ago

Agreed. Especially when someone, who thinks they know more than everyone else, can't comprehend what people write 95% of the time and forms no real opinion of their own about players, all the while criticizing everyone else who does
I’ve formed plenty of opinions on players on this team and posted several times, you just choose not to read them, which is fine.

I have zero problem saying I know more than people who are saying Archie should step down, get fired, and other ridiculous shit that’s posted.

Also, nice comprehension post, so original!

Clown.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

No.

12/20/09 we had 3114 for a game against Fairfield. We had a record of 26-10 (9-7) that year.
2/9/13 we had 1933 for a game against St. Bonaventure.
11/25/13 we had 869 against UNC Asheville. Part of the NIT Season Tip-Off, so I don't think that was included in the season ticket package.
11/26/13 we had 858 against McNeese State. See note about UNC Asheville.
12/22/13 we had 3246 for New Hampshire.
3/17/15 we had 2638 for Iona. This was an NIT game so not included with season tickets.

This is not comprehensive, it's just what I found quickly on Wikipedia. It includes only one year of data from Jim Baron's time here, most every game for Dan Hurley, and most every game from David Cox' first two seasons. It does not include any exhibition games
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I’ve formed plenty of opinions on players on this team and posted several times, you just choose not to read them, which is fine.

I have zero problem saying I know more than people who are saying Archie should step down, get fired, and other ridiculous shit that’s posted.

Clown.
I mean, you don't read what people write most of the time. People must explain their posts repeatedly because you either don't understand or intentionally ignore what they mean. This isn't new. It's been happening for a while. So if you're going to come off like an arrogant ass again, claiming how smart you are, I'm going to respond. Keep in mind I tried to just move on and not deal with your constant bullying and bs but you were too childish to ignore me and kept calling me out so now I don't give a shit..

Yes, you do form an opinion once they come here and play some games, but you call people out when they form an opinion before they come, which is much harder to predict. So let's hear it. What is your prediction about the two incoming players? Also, you said the high school games I watch are meaningless. Can you explain why Hammond dominating on Espnu against other top recruits is meaningless? I think it only helps our program to have a player like that representing us. Can you explain why it doesn't help us?
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SimpleJack
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by SimpleJack »

Look I love all of you, I respect all of you, I would go to battle for all of you, we are all bonded together over the same passion. But I can’t just stay quiet anymore. How many of you here actually know anything about variance? Sample size? Patience!? The entitlement here is insane. For now on I’m gonna start referring to some of you as Brayon Freeman’s dad. Last years roster was 2/3 comprised of the old regimes players. Archie has had 12 games with his own guys. A roster with not a single senior on it (clearly built for the future) that has the potential to be together again next year and add some good freshman. Yeah let’s just dismiss it all and start over with someone new. That’ll get us to where we want to be. If this roster falls apart in the offseason I am convinced it is because of the toxicity from this crowd on here and on Twitter. Some of you complain about how kids transfer because they don’t get playing time immediately and how weak that is. If you’re passionately complaining about Archie already at this stage, then I hate to break it to you but you are no different from those entitled kids that transfer as soon as something doesn’t go their way. I suggest some of you sit back and quit being so emotional about everything. Or don’t, and keep setting us back. Not every opinion on here is qualified and it shows. Guys relax. It’s nowhere near as bad as some are making it out to be. Don’t be a prisoner of the moment.
2 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

JFrech21 wrote: 4 months ago

Not at all.

-Fixed it for you.
I like Weston, don’t think he stinks.
Yeah, I don't get the Weston hate. I don't think we should be blaming certain players right now. It's Archie's job to right the ship. These are his guys, and a good amount of them are talented.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 months ago I read these posts and I thank the good Lord that none of these posters are decision makers.

Well yeah Blue Man, way too early to make any judgement calls on Archie's failure or success in leading this program.
Remember, I was being criticized early on for being cautious and pumping the brakes for this season.
Still, it has been disappointing so far but I am aware that things can always flip.

But many posters here tend to go a little overboard in both directions, whether being too negative and critical, or giving too much praise and having unrealistic expectations.
Even you Blue Man, my friend, remember your thread/posts on our roster after we beat Seton Hall in 2020, that didn't age well.

I guess as fans there is a tendency to get way too emotional one way or another.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Clown.
I mean, you don't read what people write most of the time. People must explain their posts repeatedly because you either don't understand or intentionally ignore what they mean. This isn't new. It's been happening for a while. So if you're going to come off like an arrogant ass again, claiming how smart you are, I'm going to respond. Keep in mind I tried to just move on and not deal with your constant bullying and bs but you were too childish to ignore me and kept calling me out so now I don't give a shit..

Yes, you do form an opinion once they come here and play some games, but you call people out when they form an opinion before they come, which is much harder to predict. So let's hear it. What is your prediction about the two incoming players? Also, you said the high school games I watch are meaningless. Can you explain why Hammond dominating on Espnu against other top recruits is meaningless? I think it only helps our program to have a player like that representing us. Can you explain why it doesn't help us?
As I’ve stated many times, I have watched a combined zero seconds of their games.

I don’t hide from that, never have.

Hammond seems like the better of the two, that’s all I’ve got.

Since Hurley, we’ve been burned so many times with the overwhelming majority of new players, it’s just pointless to put so much time into looking at these kids in the day of age of NIL and transfer portal before they step onto the floor.
0 x
Go Rhody
Not Mike Powell
Kenny Green

Unread post by Not Mike Powell »

Clearly! Results don’t show after 12 games.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Dude, they're not improving at all. These aren't just impulsive comments about the game, this team fucking sucks lmao.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

From an actual "asses in the seats" count, it's gotta be up there.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.