12/21 | New Hampshire | 6:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: 12/21 | New Hampshire | 6:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by bigappleram »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 months ago Mrs hrstrat57 said “why do everyone of these scrub teams come in here with the best players? This team has the three best players on the floor. 4,5 and 21 - it’s been every single team!”

Yep Mrs hrstrat57 has watched a lot of hoop.

The packline ain’t packin’

Right now this looks unfixable.
This is true. And incredibly alarming.
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

rjv wrote: 4 months ago I think Miller will resign at the end of this season if things do not turn around.....Just listening to his press conference.
I think his timeline is this year only. no improvement. He will leave right or wrong. That's what I think
I never really thought of that. But it could happen. I would think he's financially very comfortable. Crazy to even think about though.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If we can't come close to beating America East and Ivy League teams, how are we going to beat any decent A10 teams?

These games ARE in fact meaningful in that these losses will contribute to the firing of this coach.

The Ryan will be a ghost town going forward. That will result in a firing just as it did with Cox and Baron.

Gate receipts? What are those? There wont be any to pay him.
Last edited by rambone 78 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

rjv wrote: 4 months ago I think Miller will resign at the end of this season if things do not turn around.....Just listening to his press conference.
I think his timeline is this year only. no improvement. He will leave right or wrong. That's what I think
Wish i could fucking listen to the press conference but they took them off the radio
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago Don’t expect to see Green any time soon, maybe all season.

“Not in our conversation at all” according to Archie
When you got it rollin' like this...who needs him?
1 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

RI_Bred wrote: 4 months ago
I never really thought of that. But it could happen. I would think he's financially very comfortable. Crazy to even think about though.
I hadn't considered that either until just now — maybe because we had become accustomed to Cox, who lacked the self-awareness to step down. I could see Archie recognizing that it's not even in his own best interest to come back, let alone the program's.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RamStock wrote: 4 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 months ago
RIFan wrote: 4 months ago Why do you have to continue to watch the car crash instead of avoiding it or at least swerving and only minimize the damage. We keep giving bad hires too long. Not saying Archie is one. (Yet), just wondering why you can’t fire a coach after 2 seasons?
Because no coaching candidate worth anything would ever want to work in an environment where a school as historically irrelevant as URI wasn’t willing to give a coach (especially one with Archie’s pedigree and name) more than 2 seasons.

Look at Lange and St Joes. This stuff takes time.

No idea why we look so broken. But my God is House regressing. I’ve got a lot of questions about what Archie has been running too - but let’s stick to reality that he’s not on any hot seat.

Dave Cox. The coach who didn’t know the best player on another team wasn’t playing after he was announced as out, got an additional year after that. Archie isn’t, nor should be, getting fired anytime soon.

Not directing this at you, but the fact that this has to be stated is another reason that I don’t mind being in the minority of posters when I have a “hot” take. Like - this game was meaningless in the big picture and so is next week.
I don’t disagree with you, but aren’t the A-10 games pretty meaningless this season also? Are they really going to turn it on and finish in the top 4? They are playing all these games to get a bye and play one less game. The team stinks! They aren’t finishing in the top half even though the conference isn’t very good.They just need to play guys like Foumena or find out who will be impactful on next years team. Archie is here for 2 more years without question.
Losing to UNH by 10 points at home isn't meaningless.
It just means that this team is currently terrible and after 12 games they are still lost, including the staff.
Also, this type of showing, won't help fan support, including attendance.

Right now, I am in total disbelief, never did I expect things to be this bad.

Oh well, we still have 19 regular season games left, hopefully it can only get better.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Got to the Alumni Lounge late, around 5:45. All the food was gone. It went downhill from there.
8 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

208, it doesn't matter, we dont have anywhere near enough to put Humpty Dumpty together again.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago Got to the Alumni Lounge late, around 5:45. All the food was gone. It went downhill from there.
Not a good start for you.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think his future in the industry depends largely on his being able to right the ship here. Whether he is fired or resigns, his next job will be another rung down the ladder - and he isn’t going to be fired anytime soon. As miserable as he might be right now, our interests are aligned. He needs this to work as badly as we do, because if it fails it is almost worse for him than it is for us.
8 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Never ever bought into the fact tonight or NE is meaningless.

No game is meaningless.

We were NEVER an at large candidate. People who even thought that had false hope.

If you thought tonight and NE were meaningless, then you should’ve thought the previous 11 games were meaningless. At large was never in the picture.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

At least it was 75 and sunny here.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

So, we came to Rhody and bought season tix only to see EC get hurt in the first game where we were season ticket holders. . We've been ticketholders since then, but can't recall the program ever being in worse shape. Doubled our season ticket holding this year...may be the worst investment ever. This is the absolute bottom, right?
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

TruePoint wrote: 4 months ago
I think his future in the industry depends largely on his being able to right the ship here. Whether he is fired or resigns, his next job will be another rung down the ladder - and he isn’t going to be fired anytime soon. As miserable as he might be right now, our interests are aligned. He needs this to work as badly as we do, because if it fails it is almost worse for him than it is for us.
Worse for us as fans, he still walks away with millions.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

TruePoint wrote: 4 months ago
Yes. He needs to win even more than us. If he doesn’t, that’s tumbos music
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

On the bright side, 2028 is only 4 years away.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago So, we came to Rhody and bought season tix only to see EC get hurt in the first game where we were season ticket holders. . We've been ticketholders since then, but can't recall the program ever being in worse shape. Doubled our season ticket holding this year...may be the worst investment ever. This is the absolute bottom, right?
Maybe!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Can we please stop with this actual real games that count to our final record are meaningless bullshit!!! The thought is actually up there with 72 offering Jimmy B free throw advice. F’n shoot me!!!!

GO RHODY!
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I think I need a break.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

208, the bottom was Jerry D and Barons last year.

But right now its beginning to look similar.
1 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago Got to the Alumni Lounge late, around 5:45. All the food was gone. It went downhill from there.

Wtf!? Did you not even have some crudités or chips and dip!? Kind of pathetic to be at that donor level and not get a morsel.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

1 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 months ago

Wtf!? Did you not even have some crudités or chips and dip!? Kind of pathetic to be at that donor level and not get a morsel.
The wife and I bought some terrible hot dogs at the concession. All in all, just a wonderful night at the RC.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago Tonight...given the opponent, the outcome, and the attendance...has to be the bottom, right? If not, maybe someone can refresh the memory? Or, is that a whole new thread?
I think we thought bottom was the end of last season and the mass exodus. This is a different sort of bottom in that even the coach is disappointed, apologizing to supporters and fans in the post game. As for the competition of the games, if not bottom, we can see bottom from here.
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Apologies dont cut it, sorry.

This is happening after every game now.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago So, we came to Rhody and bought season tix only to see EC get hurt in the first game where we were season ticket holders. . We've been ticketholders since then, but can't recall the program ever being in worse shape. Doubled our season ticket holding this year...may be the worst investment ever. This is the absolute bottom, right?
Not so sure about that. Who in their right mind could ever think that UNH would have a better basketball program than URI? Guess what, they do.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

UCH21377 wrote: 4 months ago
Not so sure about that. Who in their right mind could ever think that UNH would have a better basketball program than URI? Guess what, they do.
Exactly the point of my earlier post regarding stressing over beating a hockey school, and according the cheesy paper “program” their HC and all staff in year 1. Ouch
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

rambone 78 wrote: 4 months ago 208, the bottom was Jerry D and Barons last year.

Agree with this. The only thing going for it in the Jerry D years is at least we came off several terrific seasons prior to the two with Jerry D. Baron’s last year was awful
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think we all overestimated Arch when he first got hired and this looks pretty ugly right now

I’d say 13-15th conference finish looks pretty likely
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 months ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 4 months ago Mrs hrstrat57 said “why do everyone of these scrub teams come in here with the best players? This team has the three best players on the floor. 4,5 and 21 - it’s been every single team!”

Yep Mrs hrstrat57 has watched a lot of hoop.

The packline ain’t packin’

Right now this looks unfixable.
This is true. And incredibly alarming.
Yep I’m imagining a URI team of Lilly, Daniels, Robinson, Raspberry, Wolf, Goodine and quite a few others…

Playing straight up man to man and not afraid to shoot the ball.
Last edited by hrstrat57 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 months ago I think we win with Fuchs and Bilau, but the heavy criticism is warranted.
I am not so sure, 05. I was thinking the same as you earlier but now, I don’t think Fuchs and big B would have helped against UNH’s 3 pt shooting.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I personally didn't even want to go to this game. My wife likes to get out of the house so she pushed me to go. She is going to have to drag me to go to the NE game, and games thereafter.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Some real gems from coach in the postgame press conference quotes...

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote: 4 months ago 208, the bottom was Jerry D and Barons last year.

I'm talking since we've been here and yes, I'm 'new'...Jerry D and Baron don't exist for me. Me and Hurls started here together.
Since that point, this is the absolute bottom, no? We lose to University of New Hockey My Alma Mater...at home? I mean, nothing, not Fordham (en route to ykw) is as absolute bottom as this, in that timeframe...right?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago

The wife and I bought some terrible hot dogs at the concession. All in all, just a wonderful night at the RC.
Wait...do they sell other kinds of dogs besides terrible? Then again, ya can't really have a hot dog without 'terrible", can ya?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Yep, (Archie)lost the fast ball, got no other pitches to go to, living off the fumes of previous record. Reference to Bones first take on baseball.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago

Wait...do they sell other kinds of dogs besides terrible? Then again, ya can't really have a hot dog without 'terrible", can ya?
Well they weren't Saugy's. Is that only for $2 dog night? Why did I pay $5 for a non Saugy?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago

Yes, if ya call the NY Systen wieners “hot dogs” far from terrible.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Can apologize all he wants. I was there front and center. UNH was better, and it really wasn’t close. Better players, better schemes and better coaching.

Better.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

How emBARONsing.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The problem for Archie is, with one game left in OOC, he still doesn't have a lineup. Either he feels obligated to play everyone (bad mistake) or he doesn't know who to play.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

UCH21377 wrote: 4 months ago
Yeah, hoops was not a hard ticket to get (ever) at UNH. But. it seemed like, even the season EC was out here, our first with tix, there was more optimism and enthusiasm than this, even after his injury. And I can't imagine a Hurls team ever losing to a hockey school by double digits. At home. With less than a thousand on hand... vomit emoji....
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago The problem for Archie is, with one game left in OOC, he still doesn't have a lineup. Either he feels obligated to play everyone (bad mistake) or he doesn't know who to play.
Exactly! And he literally said after the first few games that the lineup experiment was over and that they would have a set lineup. I get there have been injuries, but c'mon man!
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago The problem for Archie is, with one game left in OOC, he still doesn't have a lineup. Either he feels obligated to play everyone (bad mistake) or he doesn't know who to play.
Ken, I/ll take, “he doesn’t know who to play” for$1,000,please.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Foumena played 16 minutes...

He was awesome in the first half. What does Archie do? He plays him three minutes in the second half.

Rory Stewart played more minutes than Foumena in the second half!!!!

You guys all know that I try to stay as positive as I can, but holy shit, these mistakes are worse than Cox. What game is Archie watching??

House's attitude was terrible. Why was he allowed to stay in the game? When he ran his mouth and gave up on a few defensive possessions, he should not have seen the floor again.

Why does Brown start? What does he do well? I guess he's a decent defender? But Fou looks like a much better player to me. So does Fuchs. So does Bilau.

How many times did we allow them to pick and pop? I mean, they must have done it 1000 times. Why do we not learn from our mistakes??

Why do low-major teams have much better players than us?

Why does Archie call timeouts after we gain some momentum like Cox?

Why do teams come out with adjustments and run us off the court in the second half?

Why are we worse than last year??

I have so many freaking questions with no answers. I ignored all the glaring mistakes last year. I ignored everyone telling me Archie was a bad coach at Indiana. I'm really really worried right now. This sucks. Misery...
7 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 months ago Why do low-major teams have much better players than us?
This is a great question and has me really concerned about recruiting capability by this current URI staff. Miller pumped them up, but man our guys are just NOT THAT GOOD!
3 x
Mobley was fouled.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Tyson Brown got more minutes than Foumena 🤣🤣🤣
2 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

No excuse for this. Archie, who makes more than the whole UNH staff, was out coached by Nathan Davis.
5 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Brown, Wright, Weston and Stewart play a combined 66 minutes and scored 8 points.
4 x