12/21 | New Hampshire | 6:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: 12/21 | New Hampshire | 6:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Anyone think we are just shutting down Bilau for the rest of the OOC?
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 months ago Anyone think we are just shutting down Bilau for the rest of the OOC?
I have a slight feeling Archie is doing that for Bilau, Fuchs and possibly Green
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Dino611 wrote: 4 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 months ago Anyone think we are just shutting down Bilau for the rest of the OOC?
I have a slight feeling Archie is doing that for Bilau, Fuchs and possibly Green
Fuchs must've had one heck of a concussion.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

If he is ready and medically cleared to go, then play him.
I mean really, why save him and for what?
If he isn't capable of staying healthy and being able to regularly contribute on the court, then how can you count on him.
In 4 years at a Div.1 school he has only been in 25 games total, so far
Plus 1 year of JUCO coming off the bench.

Just look at his college career:
19-20- Wichita State RS
20 -21- Wichita State, 12 games averaged 5.1 minutes
21-22 NMJC, didn't start averaged 14.6 minutes
22-23- URI, played in 8 games, averaged 22.6 minutes
23-25 - URI, played in 5 games averaged 14.0 minutes.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 months ago
He played standard minutes on 12/6 against Brown. Maybe it happened in that game, but maybe it happened in practice in the leadup to the 12/10 game. So far he only missed two games, we'll see if he plays tomorrow.

10 or fewer days for a concussion isn't really too out of the ordinary and covers him missing 12/10 and 12/16. If he misses tomorrow that would lead to a bigger concern about how bad the concussion was and when he'd actually be ready to play again
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

David Green was practicing today fully as seen on rhodymbb insta post, got a feeling we might see him tmrw 👀👀 but who knows at this point lol
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Dino611 wrote: 4 months ago David Green was practicing today fully as seen on rhodymbb insta post, got a feeling we might see him tmrw 👀👀 but who knows at this point lol
Was he jacking up 3's?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 4 months ago
If he is ready and medically cleared to go, then play him.
I mean really, why save him and for what?
If he isn't capable of staying healthy and being able to regularly contribute on the court, then how can you count on him.
In 4 years at a Div.1 school he has only been in 25 games total, so far
Plus 1 year of JUCO coming off the bench.

Just look at his college career:
19-20- Wichita State RS
20 -21- Wichita State, 12 games averaged 5.1 minutes
21-22 NMJC, didn't start averaged 14.6 minutes
22-23- URI, played in 8 games, averaged 22.6 minutes
23-25 - URI, played in 5 games averaged 14.0 minutes.
Yeah his injury history is unfortunate, but perhaps he needs a few weeks to get his knee in a place where it will last the rest of the A-10's.

Who knows, he may play tomorrow, may not play til NE, or St Joe's.

I guess it just gets sore on him and he needs some time to let it rest.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

My guess is you've never had one. And secondly, you're not an expert on recovery. Here's an article on former Illini Andre Curbelo and how long it took him. So yeah, concussions can take a long time to recover from:
https://247sports.com/college/illinois/ ... 181053422/
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I'm concerned about this game. The 3 players listed in the preview for NH can play and if they go on a scoring streak because our defense goes soft it will be all over. I'm not saying anything that no one knows, its just that I had URI winning this game before the season started big. I still think URI can win it may be a struggle.
God I hope URI blows NH out of the RC. I hope!!!
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 4 months ago

My guess is you've never had one. And secondly, you're not an expert on recovery. Here's an article on former Illini Andre Curbelo and how long it took him. So yeah, concussions can take a long time to recover from:
Do we even know if this is his first concussion ? It may be his first since coming here but do we know if he suffered any while playing in Europe ?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

rjv wrote: 4 months ago I'm concerned about this game. The 3 players listed in the preview for NH can play and if they go on a scoring streak because our defense goes soft it will be all over. I'm not saying anything that no one knows, its just that I had URI winning this game before the season started big. I still think URI can win it may be a struggle.
God I hope URI blows NH out of the RC. I hope!!!
I am concerned, too, rjv - mainly because we have crapped the bed lately on the court. We can’t take any upcoming opponents lightly.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Shinze88 wrote: 4 months ago The frustration with the fanbase is palpable at this point in time. We've been in a perpetual state of suck since Dave Cox was named head coach 5 years ago coming off some of the best years we've had with Hurley. We finally seem to have some talent in the program along with a proven D1 coach and we still find ourselves floundering in the bottom of a mediocre mid major conference. The entire landscape of college basketball has changed with the transfer portal and NIL and programs like URI will likely struggle to maintain/acquire players. I have faith in Archie and think he'll eventually succeed here, but its not going to be easy. All I want to see this year is consistent progress so we at least know we are heading in the right direction.
[/quote

Can u pls define “ consistent progress” as the minimum number of,wins this year.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

McRam wrote: 4 months ago
Shinze88 wrote: 4 months ago The frustration with the fanbase is palpable at this point in time. We've been in a perpetual state of suck since Dave Cox was named head coach 5 years ago coming off some of the best years we've had with Hurley. We finally seem to have some talent in the program along with a proven D1 coach and we still find ourselves floundering in the bottom of a mediocre mid major conference. The entire landscape of college basketball has changed with the transfer portal and NIL and programs like URI will likely struggle to maintain/acquire players. I have faith in Archie and think he'll eventually succeed here, but its not going to be easy. All I want to see this year is consistent progress so we at least know we are heading in the right direction.
[/quote

Can u pls define “ consistent progress” as the minimum number of,wins this year.
How about not having 4 game losing steaks to start? Let's start there.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Most concussions resolve in about 2 weeks. Some last months.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Hahaha attacking me for no reason.

You're mentally ill.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dino611 wrote: 4 months ago David Green was practicing today fully as seen on rhodymbb insta post, got a feeling we might see him tmrw 👀👀 but who knows at this point lol
That’s great ! Let’s see DG tomorrow!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You're mentally ill.
PRT,
You started out the season being a big Fuchs fan, maybe the biggest, saying things like Let's Fuch Them Up and things along those lines. But then, about the time that BlueMan and Stevey brought up Fuchs not hustling at Mohegan Sun you turned on Fuchs. Very quickly you went from one extreme to the other. Unfortunately I was not able to attend either of the games at the Mohegan Sun that weekend so I did not see the Fuchs performance but I also thought others on the team deserved to be part of the beatings that we took in both games that weekend. So when you just said "Fuchs must've had one heck of a concussion" I took that to be a bit of cynical criticism towards Fuchs - I thought that because you have not had anything good to say about him since what seems like Connecticut. Maybe I'm wrong, and I often am, but I can see how PMMM reacted as I thought similarly when I read your comment.

Now personally I am 100% against the 4 Guard Line up and always have been, so it's likely Bliau plays 5 and Fuchs is on the bench anyway. I disagree with this because I think Fuchs should be starting and I think to let Miller and staff work with Fuchs through the growing and adjusting pains of A10 play. I like Fuchs' rebounding ability, his strength and most importantly I thinkFuchs has significant upside potential.

I also like the idea of starting Estevez and continuing to start Wright. I said after 2 games we do not have a true Point Guard and therefore Wright is needed on the court. I knew it was early to make such as statement but Kortright was a combiner's guard at Quinnipiac and only started 10 games last year. I did not see Kortright as a PG. Kortright has played a bit above my overall expectations but not PG expectations. Wright also has significant upside as he shot 44% 3Ps and 84% FTs at JC. Wright is an unselfish player and once he adjusts I believe he will look to shoot more often and with more proficiency.

Estevez had a couple of tough games recently but that is the life of a freshman.
3 games ago URI went 15-31 FTs vs Brown - em-Baron-sing. Could players be afraid to drive, get fouled and then heaven-for-bid have to go to the FT line?? 2 games ago House was the only URI player to go to the line hitting 3-4.
Last game Estevez went to the line 8 times going 8-8, Kortright went 1-2 and the team went 9-10. Team is not getting to the line but Estevez was confident driving to the hoop vs Delaware and very confident at the FT line not just hitting 8-8 but all 8 shots seemed to hit nothing but net. He was calm and poised. I'd have no problem with Fuchs, Estevez and Wright seeing plenty of playing time and could see all 3 in the starting lineup at some point during Conference play. House and Montgomery have not played to the level I expected them to. Disappointing defense from both of them.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Game day, trying to gear up some positive vibe, but think my give a dam button is busted.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Almost like he thinks these next two games don’t matter as much :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

If they are all available, I would like to see Fuchs, Bilau, and Green all get playing time tonight.
I expect Cam to continue playing a bigger role going forward.
I love the energy both him and Ways bring to the floor.
House needs to play within himself and stop trying to force it.
I want to see the Zek we saw earlier and become more consistent.
Still question marks concerning Luis as a PG, not sure that is his best fit.

This team needs to win, starting tonight.
Go Rhody.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

If DG is game ready, would be good to see some different rotations involving him, and not trotting out the same lineups. Let’s see what he can do in game conditions. Maybe then Archie can settle in with rotations for the all important conference play. Go Rhody
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

section(105) wrote: 4 months ago Game day, trying to gear up some positive vibe, but think my give a dam button is busted.
This game is meaningless, so play all the walk-ons 40 minutes each, fill out the rest of the minutes with guys who won’t get injured, and start resting guys for March when it’ll matter.

Meanwhile PC is knocking off top 10 teams at home.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Amazing, here we are stressing over beating a hockey school.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Another game day announcement with Rory featured. Maybe he gets a stiff of game day hardwood this evening!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 months ago Another game day announcement with Rory featured. Maybe he gets a stiff of game day hardwood this evening!
Maybe, let’s hope it is a sniff. 😏
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Have to acknowledge our current state but trust we will improve, is tonight the night we stop the bleeding??
0 x
GO RAMS
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago
McRam wrote: 4 months ago
[/quote

How about not having 4 game losing steaks to start? Let's start there.
My definition of consistent progress is in no way tied to how many games we win. Once we're out of contention for an at large, the win total to me is somewhat meaningless. What I'd like to see is individual improvement in each of our players which will lead to wins. I'd like to see Wright develop as a point guard, give him the playing time he needs at this level. I'm not expecting Hammond to come in next year and immediately start at PG and to me PG is the most important position in college basketball. Kortright is not a point guard, he's a combo guard who can play point in stretches. House and Zek have both shown the players they can be offensively, would like to see both get more involved on the defensive side of the floor. I'm a Fuchs supporter and don't get the continued hate for him, yes, he dogged it at Mohegan but to not see the upside of his game is short sided, I think if Archie didn't build him up like he did, his play to date would be more accepted here. Same for Foumena, tremendous upside once he gets more experience, love the energy he brings. Weston to me remains an enigma, you see some of the stretches he has and wonder why he can do it on a consistent basis, I've been more impressed with Estevez so far and would like to see his minutes increase. Get Bilau healthy to play a full season is all the progress I'd like to see from him, his footwork is tremendous and we just seem to play our best ball when he's on the court. Don't know about Green yet since I've never seen him play, but I think he's another candidate to get the "Fuchs" treatment if he's not our savior. Based on this board he was our best player in practice (or scrimmage) so I cant wait to see what he brings. To me these are the guys that are going to move our program forward, I'd also like to see some progress in our coaching staff, the rotations are sometimes puzzling and when I see a team play very poor defense and have bad body language, that is a direct reflection of how they are being coached. Its unfair to compare Archie to Hurley, but I never saw a player on the Hurley teams not give max effort on defense, cause he'd be sitting on the bench if he did. I'm not as high on the A10 this year as many are here so I'll still hold a very slim hope that we start to show progress where we are at least a tough out come A10 tournament time.
Last edited by Shinze88 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 4 months ago Amazing, here we are stressing over beating a hockey school.
Not just "a" hockey school, but the #16 hockey school in the nation, just 3 spots behind Arizona State ;)
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

If we lose this game I’m canceling my ESPN+ subscription and will check back in next season.
2 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago
section(105) wrote: 4 months ago Amazing, here we are stressing over beating a hockey school.
Not just "a" hockey school, but the #16 hockey school in the nation, just 3 spots behind Arizona State ;)
The ASU that was a club team when we were winning ACHA National Championship and expecting a quick jump to NCAA varsity status and had multiple invites to D1 conferences?

Those same Sun Devil guys?
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

At least it'll be over early enough to get home and watch ga tech umass (if so inclined).

I think the crowd contrast between this morning and tonight will be awesome. Gonna be like an all kid circus this morning, and like a (not very crowded) piano bar tonite :lol:
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Will there be more fans than at UBS?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

rhodyrudder wrote: 4 months ago Will there be more fans than at UBS?
Hope so, the menu in the Alumni Room(in my house aka the Funeral Room)is all appys.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 4 months ago

You're mentally ill.
PRT,
You started out the season being a big Fuchs fan, maybe the biggest, saying things like Let's Fuch Them Up and things along those lines. But then, about the time that BlueMan and Stevey brought up Fuchs not hustling at Mohegan Sun you turned on Fuchs. Very quickly you went from one extreme to the other. Unfortunately I was not able to attend either of the games at the Mohegan Sun that weekend so I did not see the Fuchs performance but I also thought others on the team deserved to be part of the beatings that we took in both games that weekend. So when you just said "Fuchs must've had one heck of a concussion" I took that to be a bit of cynical criticism towards Fuchs - I thought that because you have not had anything good to say about him since what seems like Connecticut. Maybe I'm wrong, and I often am, but I can see how PMMM reacted as I thought similarly when I read your comment.

Now personally I am 100% against the 4 Guard Line up and always have been, so it's likely Bliau plays 5 and Fuchs is on the bench anyway. I disagree with this because I think Fuchs should be starting and I think to let Miller and staff work with Fuchs through the growing and adjusting pains of A10 play. I like Fuchs' rebounding ability, his strength and most importantly I thinkFuchs has significant upside potential.

I also like the idea of starting Estevez and continuing to start Wright. I said after 2 games we do not have a true Point Guard and therefore Wright is needed on the court. I knew it was early to make such as statement but Kortright was a combiner's guard at Quinnipiac and only started 10 games last year. I did not see Kortright as a PG. Kortright has played a bit above my overall expectations but not PG expectations. Wright also has significant upside as he shot 44% 3Ps and 84% FTs at JC. Wright is an unselfish player and once he adjusts I believe he will look to shoot more often and with more proficiency.

Estevez had a couple of tough games recently but that is the life of a freshman.
3 games ago URI went 15-31 FTs vs Brown - em-Baron-sing. Could players be afraid to drive, get fouled and then heaven-for-bid have to go to the FT line?? 2 games ago House was the only URI player to go to the line hitting 3-4.
Last game Estevez went to the line 8 times going 8-8, Kortright went 1-2 and the team went 9-10. Team is not getting to the line but Estevez was confident driving to the hoop vs Delaware and very confident at the FT line not just hitting 8-8 but all 8 shots seemed to hit nothing but net. He was calm and poised. I'd have no problem with Fuchs, Estevez and Wright seeing plenty of playing time and could see all 3 in the starting lineup at some point during Conference play. House and Montgomery have not played to the level I expected them to. Disappointing defense from both of them.
It was actually during the JW game that I was starting to feel out on him, or at least wanting less PT out of him. During Mohegan I was defending him against the people that said "he didn't even jog back on defense" he and Tyson struggling against JW was a big red flag for me and they have both missed an alarming amount of lay ups and turned it over too many times.

I just said "Fuch Them up" because it's fun, I hope we can't start saying that again.

Kinda weird how you can't acknowledge that a player is playing poorly if you had previously hoped they were good. Still think he can be better and has been a little better since the Mohegan and JW games. I do think a big part of his problem has been that he's played out of position for much of the year. He is not a 4 man he is 5. He's not skilled enough or athletic enough to operate at the top of the key. Make passes down low and drive to the hoop.

The only players that can play the 4 are David Green and Bilau. Bilau is a center, but he has enough skill and athleticism to hang in there as a stretch 4.

I think our line ups should be 4 guards and one of the bigs, or either Green or Bilau at the 4 with somebody else.

We should never have two centers on the court again. No combo of Fou, Fuchs and Brown playing at the same time.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

And yes, this team can't afford Zek and House to be awful. Not scoring is one thing, sometimes you can live with that, but it's really the turnovers that are killing us and they have had a lot of them the last four games.

House has had 10 TO's and Zek 12 in the last four games.

The first seven games? House 10, Zek 6.
1 x
gazakaza
Steve Chubin

Unread post by gazakaza »

Before today's game take a listen to our new episode!

2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

gazakaza wrote: 4 months ago Before today's game take a listen to our new episode!

Thanks for posting the podcast, Gaza. Really enjoyed the discussion.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bilau, Fuchs and Green not warming up tonight. They will not play. Fuchs is present.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 4 months ago Billy, Fuchs and Green not warming up tonight. They will not play. Fuchs is present.
Good intel, Ramster.

I hope we come out playing aggressive on both ends and take this game comfortably. But, in reality, I don’t know what to expect from us tonight.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Sure would be nice to see what the team can look like at full strength.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 4 months ago Bilau, Fuchs and Green not warming up tonight. They will not play. Fuchs is present.
Lol, of course
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Less than 20 minutes before tip…
This program fuckin blows!
Did they have more than 60 people at the Civic Center the other night?
My god.
IMG_1711.jpeg
2 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

ramster wrote: 4 months ago Bilau, Fuchs and Green not warming up tonight. They will not play. Fuchs is present.
This team and program is in a shambles. Tired of making the long trip every game and never having a full roster of scholarship players
2 x
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

About 250 people here 15 minutes before tip
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

rhodyrudder wrote: 4 months ago Less than 20 minutes before tip…
This program fuckin blows!
Did they have more than 60 people at the Civic Center the other night?
My god.IMG_1711.jpeg
Looks electric.
0 x
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

Rhodyg wrote: 4 months ago About 250 people here 15 minutes before tip
Yet they are still going to drill the “ruckus” idea on us all night
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

DG tweaked his ankle out maybe back for NE should be ready for ST Joe
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I feel confident that Green and Fuchs will come back healthy but it really really sucks that Bilau can't stay healthy. At this point, I think it's time to accept that this dude will be nothing more than a 15-20-minute player at best, or he'll be out. Regardless, this is not a game we should lose.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

We have almost a 52% chance of winning.
1 x