12/16 | Delaware | 4:30PM (FloHoops) | Holiday Hoopfest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 12/16 | Delaware | 4:30PM (FloHoops) | Holiday Hoopfest

Unread post by ramster »

STC wrote: 4 months ago
ramster wrote: 4 months ago
rhodyram22 wrote: 4 months ago

elaborate.
This is what Archie Miller said recently……

His point is the players are too friendly, not pushing and challenging one another.
Some players have exhibited less than ideal body language on the court, coming back to the bench and in the bench.
So for Fuchs and House to get in a confrontation could be a good thing. Then Archie put them both together in front of the media a day later. Good for Archie. Could tell there was some uneasiness between the two but so be it.
Archie wants the guys tougher. He wants “way more…..way more rebounds from the guards.” He wants much better defense.
He has been pushing and asking for this but now it appears Archie is to the point of changing the starting line up and redistributing minutes.
An 11 man rotation is too much. Archie needs to find the 7-8 he will ride into Conference play. Defense, energy, effort and toughness is what he is looking for.
Will be interesting to see how he handles Fuchs upon his return but my guess is he goes back to starting.

Dec 8, 2023 @BillKoch25
Replying to @BillKoch25
Miller rehashing Brown -- 'We're not there yet. And we know that.'
Credits the Bears for their performance over 40 minutes Wednesday night. #URI

Bill Koch @BillKoch25
Miller -- 'Our camaraderie and togetherness through tough times probably is our greatest weakness. It really is.'

'The growth of this team, the growth of this program, our staff's concentration -- developing the team, developing the roles.' #URI
3:15 PM · Dec 8, 2023
Did Archie or another credible source actually say there was a confrontation? I saw some erroneous tweet prior to the PC game from a fake reporter on Twitter that was a PC fan but that’s it.
Archie did not
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 months ago Archie can write a book with these speeches. He’s very good at it, we just need the players to react and play well.
I think what you are seeing and hearing is a step.

Last game Archie started Bilau and Wright while removing Fuchs and Brown. Archie took Kortright off the PG responsibilities and gave the keys to Wright playing him 36 minutes. Archie also gave Estevez big minutes off the bench. He did these changes after having gone with the same line up for the 1st 9 games.

That is not just "writing a book with these speeches".
He didn't necessarily remove Fuchs. Fuchs didn't travel with the team for concussion protocol so his hand was forced.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 4 months ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 months ago Archie can write a book with these speeches. He’s very good at it, we just need the players to react and play well.

Last game Archie started Bilau and Wright while removing Fuchs and Brown. Archie took Kortright off the PG responsibilities and gave the keys to Wright playing him 36 minutes. Archie also gave Estevez big minutes off the bench. He did these changes after having gone with the same line up for the 1st 9 games.

He didn't necessarily remove Fuchs. Fuchs didn't travel with the team for concussion protocol so his hand was forced.
He removed Brown for Bilau.
You might say Fuchs removed himself due to injury BUT if Archie was going to go with 4 Guards then only 1 big was going to play and that might very well have been Bilau with the way he has been performing on offense and on defense. Fuchs could have been the odd man out anyway.

Many posters here, and a couple in particular, have been brutal on Fuchs, wanting him out of the starting lineup. That's ok, that's their opinion. No problem. However, little or nothing gets said about Montgomery or House or Kortright. I hope Wright and Estevez continue to get minutes and show what they can do prior to the start of A10 Conference play.

Also most here have been wanting the 4 Guard Line Up. So to get the 4 Guard Line up that most seem to want, and some have expressed very strong opinions on the 4 Guard Line up, then Archie can only start 1 Big - and Archie chose Bilau over Brown and Foumena. Would that Big have been Fuchs if Fuchs had not gotten hurt instead of Bilau? Possibly but the masses here would vote for Bilau over Fuchs if a 4 Guard lineup.

I personally like Fuchs. I don't think he gets rebounds because he is lucky. And if he does then so be it, we should all be so lucky as a rebound is a rebound. I think he rebounds well because he takes up a lot of space, he is strong, he gets into better rebounding position than others and he has good hands to grab the rebounds. He does get his own rebounds off of his own missed shots but then again that's following up his own missed shots. Can Fuchs get more rebounds per game? sure. Can Fuchs exert more energy, play better defense? sure. He is just a freshman.

I also would not play a 4 guard line up unless it gave a clear advantage and the opponent was also playing 4 or 5 Guards. Our defense has been our weakest area of performance along with poor rebounding especially from the Guards. So to go smaller seems to hurt rebounding and hurt defense against the opponents big men. Our guards have played medicare defense and below average rebounding as per Miller so I applaud Miller lowering the starting Guards minutes even when going to a 4 Guard lineup.

I know I am in the minority on Fuchs and on Playing 2 Bigs but that's what I think.

I loved seeing Archie go to Wright as PG. I mentioned that after just 2 games that we don't have a classic PG in the starting lineup. Now with Wright and keeping Kortright on the floor maybe we get better ball movement, less dribbling and less individual play. At least trying something different than the same 5 guys for 9 straight games.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m guessing DG will be back for conference play which is huge for us

Let’s get him a tuneup when we host NE ?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

When I hear, not practicing with team working out on his own, I also hear no games ready for couple of weeks, if further “cleared” maybe to the start of conference play.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 months ago

He removed Brown for Bilau.
You might say Fuchs removed himself due to injury BUT if Archie was going to go with 4 Guards then only 1 big was going to play and that might very well have been Bilau with the way he has been performing on offense and on defense. Fuchs could have been the odd man out anyway.

Many posters here, and a couple in particular, have been brutal on Fuchs, wanting him out of the starting lineup. That's ok, that's their opinion. No problem. However, little or nothing gets said about Montgomery or House or Kortright. I hope Wright and Estevez continue to get minutes and show what they can do prior to the start of A10 Conference play.

Also most here have been wanting the 4 Guard Line Up. So to get the 4 Guard Line up that most seem to want, and some have expressed very strong opinions on the 4 Guard Line up, then Archie can only start 1 Big - and Archie chose Bilau over Brown and Foumena. Would that Big have been Fuchs if Fuchs had not gotten hurt instead of Bilau? Possibly but the masses here would vote for Bilau over Fuchs if a 4 Guard lineup.

I personally like Fuchs. I don't think he gets rebounds because he is lucky. And if he does then so be it, we should all be so lucky as a rebound is a rebound. I think he rebounds well because he takes up a lot of space, he is strong, he gets into better rebounding position than others and he has good hands to grab the rebounds. He does get his own rebounds off of his own missed shots but then again that's following up his own missed shots. Can Fuchs get more rebounds per game? sure. Can Fuchs exert more energy, play better defense? sure. He is just a freshman.

I also would not play a 4 guard line up unless it gave a clear advantage and the opponent was also playing 4 or 5 Guards. Our defense has been our weakest area of performance along with poor rebounding especially from the Guards. So to go smaller seems to hurt rebounding and hurt defense against the opponents big men. Our guards have played medicare defense and below average rebounding as per Miller so I applaud Miller lowering the starting Guards minutes even when going to a 4 Guard lineup.

I know I am in the minority on Fuchs and on Playing 2 Bigs but that's what I think.

I loved seeing Archie go to Wright as PG. I mentioned that after just 2 games that we don't have a classic PG in the starting lineup. Now with Wright and keeping Kortright on the floor maybe we get better ball movement, less dribbling and less individual play. At least trying something different than the same 5 guys for 9 straight games.
Good post Ramster spot on IMHO with most of it.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

section(105) wrote: 4 months ago When I hear, not practicing with team working out on his own, I also hear no games ready for couple of weeks, if further “cleared” maybe to the start of conference play.
I was wondering about the 'further cleared' part, too...like, what does that mean? UNLV dude played instantly, Green has to be 'further cleared'? That kinda sounds like a between the school and the "student" thing, maybe academic thing, no? I have no idea but, I think that's a 'stay tuned' whistle. Hopefully, it's just me that hears it :lol:
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago
section(105) wrote: 4 months ago When I hear, not practicing with team working out on his own, I also hear no games ready for couple of weeks, if further “cleared” maybe to the start of conference play.
I was wondering about the 'further cleared' part, too...like, what does that mean? UNLV dude played instantly, Green has to be 'further cleared'? That kinda sounds like a between the school and the "student" thing, maybe academic thing, no? I have no idea but, I think that's a 'stay tuned' whistle. Hopefully, it's just me that hears it :lol:
Archie said that when his waiver was denied, Green decided to rest and rehab his knee so he wasn't practicing with the team. Maybe his knee needs to be cleared.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago
Archie said that when his waiver was denied, Green decided to rest and rehab his knee so he wasn't practicing with the team. Maybe his knee needs to be cleared.
I thought Archie's or Koch's (?) quote used the word 'eligibility'' in that clearance reference? (I could be worng)
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

By “cleared” I meant a variety of unknowns; including further BS by the NCAA, medical issues, coaches decision on readiness for live action, I suppose academics, too. Ya know, those kinda things.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Is this the link? It says 2:00.

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago Is this the link? It says 2:00.

Will the Bryant game be on the same link ? You Tube ?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Delaware by 8-10 pts. I hope I'm wrong, and they surprise me for once. I'm getting ready to get let down, but it hurts less and less the more we get worse. This is how I felt during the Cox years. I never thought I'd feel this way about Archie. Let's see what team shows up today!!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago
Pretty sure it's just a knee issue at this point. That and playing him with the team after he hadn't been practicing with the team means that he wouldn't be available for Delaware.

An eligibility miracle happens and of course he's still out 🙄🙄🙄

3-4 NET 200+ UNLV played their dude the day of the ruling and they beat the hell out of Creighton. Of course something like that doesn't happen for us.

If we get him ready by conference play then that's good enough though!

I wonder though...he was practicing with a hurt knee prior to the waiver being denied? So was he gonna gut out this knee problem all year? Even though he's now too hurt to play??? How was he going to play the whole year with it?

I tell you what the Archie Miller era sure has had its twists and turns between several injuries and super confusing eligibility issues.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 months ago Delaware by 8-10 pts. I hope I'm wrong, and they surprise me for once. I'm getting ready to get let down, but it hurts less and less the more we get worse. This is how I felt during the Cox years. I never thought I'd feel this way about Archie. Let's see what team shows up today!!
I think we have a better chance than that. I'm feeling down too, but Delaware isn't nearly as explosive as Charleston is offensively. Feels like a close game. Time to make shit happen and win.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Anyone driving, be prepared parking is $43.45 at the arena.Welcome to NY
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Jersey77 wrote: 4 months ago Anyone driving, be prepared parking is $43.45 at the arena.Welcome to NY
Ouch!
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 4 months ago Delaware by 8-10 pts. I hope I'm wrong, and they surprise me for once. I'm getting ready to get let down, but it hurts less and less the more we get worse. This is how I felt during the Cox years. I never thought I'd feel this way about Archie. Let's see what team shows up today!!
I think we have a better chance than that. I'm feeling down too, but Delaware isn't nearly as explosive as Charleston is offensively. Feels like a close game. Time to make shit happen and win.
We have sucked on the road and on neutral courts and seem to look worse and worse each game. Unti they show some life I don't think we stand a chance. They are better than Brown, and we couldn't beat them at home. It is time for Archie to show us something. Can he get these guys locked in, or is the team already lost, just like last year?
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Massey Ratings gives the #137 (#90 NET) Blue Hens a 51% chance of beating the #183 (#243 NET) Rams, with a predicted final of 70-69
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 months ago
We have sucked on the road and on neutral courts and seem to look worse and worse each game. Unti they show some life I don't think we stand a chance. They are better than Brown, and we couldn't beat them at home. It is time for Archie to show us something. Can he get these guys locked in, or is the team already lost, just like last year?
I dont know I think we looked better against Charleston than Brown. Well easily looked better.
0 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

D-FENCE! REBOUNDING! Let's see them!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RJRam wrote: 4 months ago D-FENCE! REBOUNDING! Let's see them!
They put an emphasis on it all week.

Let's see if there's a difference.
0 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

And let's add two more secondary things. TURNOVERS! FOUL SHOTS!
Our offense will take care of itself.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RJRam wrote: 4 months ago

And let's add two more secondary things. TURNOVERS! FOUL SHOTS!
Our offense will take care of itself.
The turnovers aren't mentioned enough.

We have so many turnovers that lead to easy baskets.

From what I've seen from Delaware that could be a problem. They force a lot of turnovers. Very aggressive on D.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago Is this the link? It says 2:00.

How’s the stream working? Mine cut out
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Bryant game was on about 5 minutes then flipped to Tulane vs uVA wbb…
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ugh...no Bilau, no Fuchs, no Green.

Last edited by adam914 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Mine showed me a 30 sec clip of the Bryant game then switched to something else
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

doesn't it start at 430?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, that's why Bilau didn't play much last game.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

One of those dudes doing the Towson game sounded like he had smoked no less than one million cigarettes?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

With OT in that first game...New eta/start time for Rhody? Asking for a friend who's trying to coordinate grilled chicken... and halftime
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 4 months ago Ugh...no Bilau, no Fuchs, no Green.

Welp...
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

God

Damnit

Screw Towson and Bryant. I have shit to do later ughhhh
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

85-85 2OT Bryant game !
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

I’m not liking my chances for getting free hoops today…

:)
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Now 2 OT
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 months ago I’m not liking my chances for getting free hoops today…

Thinking same.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RI_Bred wrote: 4 months ago
hrstrat57 wrote: 4 months ago I’m not liking my chances for getting free hoops today…

Thinking same.
Where's the free link to Towson vs Bryant? Can't find one.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Things aren’t lining up in our favor for this game. We will see how it goes.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RI_Bred wrote: 4 months ago

Thinking same.
Where's the free link to Towson vs Bryant? Can't find one.
I think they shut it down not taking in the OT factor.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Bryant pulling away up 9…
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Not having any luck.... where's Dino?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhody Guy wrote: 4 months ago Not having any luck.... where's Dino?
Well the longest meaningless basketball game ever is still going on.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I'm guessing we get boned with the stream in the second half because it will cut out at a certain time. Hope I'm wrong.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Following the gameplay on ESPN

Bryant up 10 20 seconds left in 2 OT

Towson misses four threes, gets four offensive rebounds and then Bryant fouls them 😂
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Bryant game is all set, hopefully the stream comes back....
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Bryant game ran 54 minutes over.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Per Steve M....he says should be shortly before 530....grilled chicken done shortly thereafter. Perfect
1 x