NET Rankings

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: NET Rankings

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 months ago The JWU game is a killer. Counted less for us then the ACC championship did for FSU.
Well if we replaced them with another Q4 game our NET might be worse.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 4 months ago
KingstonLane wrote: 4 months ago

Much depends on how well freshman Javon Bennett and junior Kobe Elvis take up the slack for the loss of Malachi.
I think they’re already proved they’re competent enough to play well enough for an at large. One big OOC game left vs Cincy that would essentially lock them in if they won

But also a bunch of land mines in their remaining OOC. That was their fatal flaw some of the last few years
I also feel they will get plenty of tough challenges in conference play.
I don't think any team is going to walk through the A10 schedule.
Unfortunately, that probably won't bode well for an at-large.
Understanding the NCAA, I doubt they will be kind to us.
Agree conference going to be a huge factor

Just because they beat Cinci in December they will have to have a solid conf record
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

We went from 196 to 240 in the NET with last night's loss. Still wild swings this time of year with the NET, but not the way you want to go
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

We can almost shut this thread down, the at large is officially deceased.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

And we should probably pump the brakes for a while on any talk about other conference members dragging down the league. We're dragging it down as much as anyone the last few years.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Conferences with >1 Team in Top 50:

8-SEC
8-Big 12
5-ACC
5-Big 10
4-Mountain West
4-Big East
4-Pac 12
2-Missouri Valley
2-American Athletic
2-West Coast
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Men's Basketball NET Rankings (Dec 11th)
https://www.warrennolan.com/basketball/ ... conference

Conference NET
1. Big 12
2. Big Ten
3. SEC
4. Big East
5. ACC
6. Pac-12
7. Mountain West
8. Atlantic 10
9. Missouri Valley
10. Ivy League
11. AAC
12. WCC
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Jersey77 wrote: 4 months ago Men's Basketball NET Rankings (Dec 11th)

Conference NET
1. Big 12
2. Big Ten
3. SEC
4. Big East
5. ACC
6. Pac-12
7. Mountain West
8. Atlantic 10
9. Missouri Valley
10. Ivy League
11. AAC
12. WCC

The loss of several of its best teams has very much hurt the AAC. Who would have thought the Ivy League would be at #10?

While the overall collective ranking of the A-10 has improved, not all is good as the NCAA picks teams off their individual ranks. A higher conference rank may therefore not necessarily translate into more bids.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

adam914 wrote: 4 months ago And we should probably pump the brakes for a while on any talk about other conference members dragging down the league. We're dragging it down as much as anyone the last few years.
URI is the A-10's new Fordham.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 4 months ago

Conference NET
1. Big 12
2. Big Ten
3. SEC
4. Big East
5. ACC
6. Pac-12
7. Mountain West
8. Atlantic 10
9. Missouri Valley
10. Ivy League
11. AAC
12. WCC

The loss of several of its best teams has very much hurt the AAC. Who would have thought the Ivy League would be at #10?

While the overall collective ranking of the A-10 has improved, not all is good as the NCAA picks teams off their individual ranks. A higher conference rank may therefore not necessarily translate into more bids.
As you know, I haven't been a big fan of the NET and these rankings will constantly change.

Again top to bottom the A10 is very competitive and will beat each other up.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Conference NET
1. Big 12
2. Big Ten
3. SEC
4. Big East
5. ACC
6. Pac-12
7. Mountain West
8. Atlantic 10
9. Missouri Valley
10. Ivy League
11. AAC
12. WCC

This is where the A10 really needs to be aggressive and go after Wichita State, really the only realistic program worth adding at this point. I'm sure Wichita State is not getting near what the other schools in their conference are getting and any exit fee could be handled by the Koch's. Getting them into the A10 and out of the AAC would be a coup and go a long way to strengthening our conference
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 4 months ago And we should probably pump the brakes for a while on any talk about other conference members dragging down the league. We're dragging it down as much as anyone the last few years.
Rhode Island going into this year = .465 conference winning percentage, 15 NCAA tournament games in 42 years. Since 2014-15 a .554 conference winning percentage and 4 tournament games.

Fordham = a .262 conference winning percentage, 0 tournament games in 27 years. Since 2014-15 a .313 conference winning percentage
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago
Rhode Island going into this year = .465 conference winning percentage, 15 NCAA tournament games in 42 years. Since 2014-15 a .554 conference winning percentage and 4 tournament games.

Fordham = a .262 conference winning percentage, 0 tournament games in 27 years. Since 2014-15 a .313 conference winning percentage
Not to mention the investments made.

Let’s not let 1 bad week flip reality.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago

Conference NET
1. Big 12
2. Big Ten
3. SEC
4. Big East
5. ACC
6. Pac-12
7. Mountain West
8. Atlantic 10
9. Missouri Valley
10. Ivy League
11. AAC
12. WCC

This is where the A10 really needs to be aggressive and go after Wichita State, really the only realistic program worth adding at this point. I'm sure Wichita State is not getting near what the other schools in their conference are getting and any exit fee could be handled by the Koch's. Getting them into the A10 and out of the AAC would be a coup and go a long way to strengthening our conference
I would love to see us add Wichita State, even though they aren't quite the same since the departure of Marshall.
Still don't know if there is any mutual interest, and will geography be a detriment.
They would be the furthest west program and how the A10 AD's and presidents feel about that.
Also, does the $ make sense for Wichita State?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

AAC vs. A-10 seems pretty even to me - I'm not really sure why Wichita State would want to make that jump. The AAC has lost Houston, Cincy, UConn and SMU in recent years, but they still have Memphis, Temple and suddenly good Florida Atlantic.

I'd also add that the overall NET rankings don't necessarily translate to conference success or health. The AAC is likely a two or three-bid league this year - FAU (17), Memphis (40) and the autobid if its not one of those two. Since right now, the A-10 has maybe one at-large team (Dayton, 44) and a couple others on the fringe, the AAC will likely get more NCAA tournament credits at the end of the year. The AAC just has a couple absolute dog shit teams dragging down its overall NET so far this year (UTSA 300, Rice 269, East Carolina 266).
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

You and 77 bring up fair points, I would argue it's a longshot as well. But to me they're the only program out there worth expanding for and all signs seem to have the A10 wanting to expand
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 months ago AAC vs. A-10 seems pretty even to me - I'm not really sure why Wichita State would want to make that jump. The AAC has lost Houston, Cincy, UConn and SMU in recent years, but they still have Memphis, Temple and suddenly good Florida Atlantic.

I'd also add that the overall NET rankings don't necessarily translate to conference success or health. The AAC is likely a two or three-bid league this year - FAU (17), Memphis (40) and the autobid if its not one of those two. Since right now, the A-10 has maybe one at-large team (Dayton, 44) and a couple others on the fringe, the AAC will likely get more NCAA tournament credits at the end of the year. The AAC just has a couple absolute dog shit teams dragging down its overall NET so far this year (UTSA 300, Rice 269, East Carolina 266).
You missed UCF

UCONN left a few years ago for BE
Houston, Cincinnati and Central Florida (UCF) all left for the BIG12
SMU will be departing for the ACC along with Stanford and California from PAC10

So to backfill the AAC recently added 6 RED teams ALL from Conference USA. I'll list the teams by Football Record here as Football carries a lot of weight in Conference Affiliation. Wichita State only plays Basketball

#17 SMU (8-0) (11-2)
#23 Tulane (8-0) (11-2)
Texas San Antonio (7-1) (8-4)
Memphis (6-2) (9-3)
South Florida (4-4) (6-6)
Rice (4-4) (6-6)
Navy (4-4) (5-7)
North Texas (3-5) (5-7)
Alabama Birmingham (3-5) (4-8)
Florida Atlantic (3-5) (4-8)
Charlotte (2-6) (3-9)
Tulsa (2-6) (4-8)
Temple 1-7) (3-9)
East Cololina (1-7) (2-10)

Pretty much a South/Southwest Conference with UTSA, Rice and North Texas added to it from Texas 3 Southeast teams bind FAU, Charlotte and UAB.
Geographically tends to make sense for all teams except Temple.
1 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Saw a post on X/Twitter/Elon's World listing the NET of the New England D1 men's BB teams.

RI was DFL.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

NHRamFan wrote: 4 months ago Saw a post on X/Twitter/Elon's World listing the NET of the New England D1 men's BB teams.

RI was DFL.
Just more misinformation being peddled on that worthless platform.

URI's NET rank is presently #237.

These are the ranks of some of the 23 New England D1 schools:

247 Quinnipiac
255 Fairfield
256 Brown
278 CCSU
293 Dartmouth
319 Sacred Heart
354 Holy Cross
356 Stonehill

Official NCAA NET link:
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketbal ... t-rankings
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Conference NET
1. Big 12
2. Big Ten
3. SEC
4. Big East
5. ACC
6. Pac-12
7. Mountain West
8. Atlantic 10
9. Missouri Valley
10. Ivy League
11. AAC
12. WCC

As you know, I haven't been a big fan of the NET and these rankings will constantly change.

That could hurt getting multiple bids if the conf beats up on each other , if one team can put up a 15-3 conf record then lose in the finals then 2 bids are more likely
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 4 months ago

That could hurt getting multiple bids if the conf beats up on each other , if one team can put up a 15-3 conf record then lose in the finals then 2 bids are more likely
VCU was 15-3 last year and wouldn’t have sniffed an at large if they lost in the finals.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

EmBARONsing

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 4 months ago EmBARONsing

Ugh wake me up when we are sub 200 !
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago

VCU was 15-3 last year and wouldn’t have sniffed an at large if they lost in the finals.
That's because last year there were two teams in the top 100 of the net this year there are seven.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

woodennickel1 wrote: 4 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago

That's because last year there were two teams in the top 100 of the net this year there are seven.
Yup the conference is much better this year so I think someone is going to need 15-3 and even that may not be guaranteed
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

We were literally thinking about making a run in the A-10’s and maybe maybe maybe stealing an at-large…

And then COVID..

And we have not had a decent freaking game in 4 years.

At least one of them we were spared the indignity of having to watch in person.

2-forty-freakin-three. Bottom of the 1-bid A-10.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 4 months ago We were literally thinking about making a run in the A-10’s and maybe maybe maybe stealing an at-large…

And then COVID..

And we have not had a decent freaking game in 4 years.

At least one of them we were spared the indignity of having to watch in person.

2-forty-freakin-three. Bottom of the 1-bid A-10.
Y'mean, "see you Thursday"?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rhodysurf wrote: 4 months ago 192 to start. Bryant is 156, PC 61, brown 283
192 to start, all the way down to 250 today. Our NET dropped from 240 to 250 since yesterday
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

250 is terrible but that’s reality right now unfortunately
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Gonna be 300 when we lose to NE next week.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago Gonna be 300 when we lose to NE next week.
Even though NE is "way up the food chain" at #158?
I mean, that'll almost be like a 'good loss' at this point, won't it?
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Yeah it looks like they beat every Q4 team by 20. Might be a formula going forward. Play the worst teams in the country and blow them out.
That's why team sheets also have their KenPom, Sagarin, and KPI rankings on there. NET isn't the only metric used.
I have not been able to find any Sagarin ratings this year, is he stilling doing it?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

McRam wrote: 4 months ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Yeah it looks like they beat every Q4 team by 20. Might be a formula going forward. Play the worst teams in the country and blow them out.
That's why team sheets also have their KenPom, Sagarin, and KPI rankings on there. NET isn't the only metric used.
I have not been able to find any Sagarin ratings this year, is he stilling doing it?
He announced back in November he is not doing college basketball this year
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

McRam wrote: 4 months ago
If you want another site that the selection committee uses that is really user friendly, check out Bart Torvik
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

URI now owns the worst NET ranking in the A10. What a season.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago URI now owns the worst NET ranking in the A10. What a season.
But if you look at it another way, we're #1 when it comes to worst NET! We're #1!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

theblueram wrote: 1 month ago URI now owns the worst NET ranking in the A10. What a season.
The bottom NET rankings of the A-10

179 Fordham
195 GW
196 LaSalle
217 St Louis
223 URI

Link
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

RF1 wrote: 1 month ago
The bottom NET rankings of the A-10

179 Fordham
195 GW
196 LaSalle
217 St Louis
223 URI

Link
I don’t recall where we peaked. Was it 180 NET ?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Looks like PC is squarely on the bubble
0 x