2023-24 Rotation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Re: 2023-24 Rotation

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Jersey77 wrote: 4 months ago I think Green's presence in the next 14 days may cut into Fuchs and Weston's minutes on the court.

Possible new starting line-up against Delaware:
1. Luis
2. House
3. Zek
4. Green
5. Bilau
I think Green come off the bench initially. I could be wrong, though. I think he would be a starter if he started with us from day one. I bet he plays like 15-18 minutes max for the next few games. Similar to how he handled Bilau.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 months ago
adam914 wrote: 4 months ago
SGreenwell wrote: 4 months ago

I agree that this waiver deal is a mess and stupid. I kind of want a halfway solution - I think players shouldn't have to sit for a first time transfer (because they and coaches make mistakes when it comes to evaluation), or if they're a graduate transfer. I'm fine with all two-time transfers having to sit a semester or a year, regardless of the reason why you're transferring.
This is kind of where I'm at now to. The waiver business is just never going to work. The one exception I could maybe see is if a coach leaves.
They should have at least been consistent with who they grant waivers to.

You had David Green sitting there after enduring three coaching changes, transferring after only 6 games, Deion's kick rocks orphans all ineligible when all these other guys got waivers for less.
I'm just catching up on the thread now, so, no spoiler alerts, but I just had to pause here to say, "Deion's 'Kick Rocks' Orphans", is one of those frameable phrases. Well done.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 4 months ago I think Green's presence in the next 14 days may cut into Fuchs and Weston's minutes on the court.

1. Luis
2. House
3. Zek
4. Green
5. Bilau
I think Green come off the bench initially. I could be wrong, though. I think he would be a starter if he started with us from day one. I bet he plays like 15-18 minutes max for the next few games. Similar to how he handled Bilau.
Probably Steve, but if he as good as Archie says then should start by conference play, if ruling upheld.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Right now that’s our best 5 for sure.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 4 months ago Sure this may be good for us in the short term, but in the big picture if this is upheld it’ll make things even worse. Are there any other NCAA rules that matter anymore? Or are they now just a promoter of college sporting events?
1) LOL. Seriously though, that might be the last one? It seems like they're thinking "eff it, it's an admin nightmare for us, no one likes it except the coaches, it makes us no cash*, let 'em have it, we'll still rake."
*Although, probably no cost either, as the speed of the process they had kinda makes it seem doubtful that they "added to staff for that"...

2) Yes, on a massive, massive scale?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I'm not sure why this isn't a bigger deal. Regardless of whether or not we think it's good or bad for us or anyone else, can't we just focus on the small picture? Right now, this has the chance to make the team more interesting.
Has ECR emailed Thorr yet to find out if Green is playing?
I always wondered too if Green (and hoops KRO's across America) still practiced with the team or not? Like, this could be a two week window..is it possible it might take some of these guys that long to get into game-playing condition?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1. Luis
2. House
3. Zek
4. Green
5. Bilau
Read what Archie said on his show tonight. I put a summary together. Not going to repeat it here.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 4 months ago

1. Luis
2. House
3. Zek
4. Green
5. Bilau
Read what Archie said on his show tonight. I put a summary together. Not going to repeat it here.
Just did Ramster and did respond in that thread.

Yep it may take a little time for Green to get up to speed, conditioning may be an issue.

It also sounded as if they were still a little unsure about the ramifications of the ruling.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jersey77 wrote: 4 months ago

1. Luis
2. House
3. Zek
4. Green
5. Bilau

Yep it may take a little time for Green to get up to speed, conditioning may be an issue.

It also sounded as if they were still a little unsure about the ramifications of the ruling.
NCAA said there would be no ramifications against a players eligibility if they play them.

Hard to imagine Green could be that out of shape. He's only been working out alone for two weeks. I imagine it would be more of a gameplan thing. How to fit him in.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1. Luis
2. House
3. Zek
4. Green
5. Bilau

I wasn't 100% convinced that they would even have Green play this year, there are just a lot of moving parts and they want to get all of the facts together.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

If Greens eligibility isn’t affected, get his ass on the floor asap.
0 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I wasn't 100% convinced that they would even have Green play this year, there are just a lot of moving parts and they want to get all of the facts together.
Well, he already missed about 1/3 of the season, so they can decide to RS him regardless of the ruling.
Still, this is already his 4th year in college, so who knows how much longer he would want to stay anyway.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 months ago Not sure why only a couple people see how this is a BAD thing for Rhody big picture. Allowing players to just move at a whim is not good for us. I would rather Green sit and we struggle than the floodgates that could open from this esp for mid majors.
BAR, if the transfer flood gates open and remain open, I wonder if there are out of the box ways for the NCAA to maintain competitive balance for the non-power conferences/mid-majors in basketball ?

What if the allowable number of scholarship players and/or the number of players allowed on a roster were reduced to allow for a spreading out of talent (thus preventing power conf teams from stockpiling talent) ?

I am just spitballing some potential solutions off the top of my head without fully thinking them through. Perhaps others here will have better, more creative potential solutions.

But then I realize that if the power conferences were forced to compromise or restrict their competitive advantages in favor of non-power conferences/mid-majors then, they would probably just split off from the NCAA and do their own thing.

It’s like playing a game of chess against the power conferences and realizing you can’t avoid checkmate. This is all very frustrating.
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

RIFan wrote: 4 months ago Sure this may be good for us in the short term, but in the big picture if this is upheld it’ll make things even worse. Are there any other NCAA rules that matter anymore? Or are they now just a promoter of college sporting events?
Exactly! Not the NCAAS fault. It is a court order and now people we thought would not be able to transfer may be able to. Just a complete cluster. I hate the ruling irrespective of whether it may benefit us this year. Basically it is going to be complete free agency and that will benefit, again, the ones at the top of the food chain. Pennywise pound foolish comes to mind with respect to looking this ruling.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

4Diffs wrote: 4 months ago
Exactly! Not the NCAAS fault. It is a court order and now people we thought would not be able to transfer may be able to. Just a complete cluster. I hate the ruling irrespective of whether it may benefit us this year. Basically it is going to be complete free agency and that will benefit, again, the ones at the top of the food chain. Pennywise pound foolish comes to mind with respect to looking this ruling.
Let's not act like the portal doesn't flow both ways.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

It is the NCAA's fault

If they were firm with their waiver rules and didnt randomly choose who to grant a waiver and who not to, then this probably wouldn't be a problem.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Two time transfer Keylan Boone played in UNLV's upset of Crieghton earlier (that's a huge upset by the way. UNLV got destroyed by Southern earlier this year. Q4 loss for Crieghton)

Absolutely no reason Green shouldn't play Saturday.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Two time transfer Keylan Boone played in UNLV's upset of Crieghton earlier (that's a huge upset by the way. UNLV got destroyed by Southern earlier this year. Q4 loss for Crieghton)

Couldn’t agree more , if all these kids are going to play now and Green doesn’t I’m going to be upset about it
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Last night Makhel Mitchell was dressed but did not play for Arkansas Little Rock.
Like Rock is coached by Darrell Walker. Walker played at Arkansas, played NBA and former NBA Head Coach.
Posters seem to think Mitchell will start but not sure for who yet.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-983119.html
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Detroit does not play until Dec 18 but discussion on Detroit message board that 2 players will be eligible including Alex Tchikou…..

https://udtitanbasketball.freeforums.ne ... kou?page=6

Coastal Carolina does not play until Dec 18. Bray Freeman could possibly play.
Last edited by ramster 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

reef wrote: 4 months ago

Couldn’t agree more , if all these kids are going to play now and Green doesn’t I’m going to be upset about it
This 100%

Green
Light
Green!!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I was not surprised to hear Green was not working with the team. Probably a coaches decision to focus on rotations and team concepts on both ends with players that are actually playing in games.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 4 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 4 months ago Not sure why only a couple people see how this is a BAD thing for Rhody big picture. Allowing players to just move at a whim is not good for us. I would rather Green sit and we struggle than the floodgates that could open from this esp for mid majors.
BAR, if the transfer flood gates open and remain open, I wonder if there are out of the box ways for the NCAA to maintain competitive balance for the non-power conferences/mid-majors in basketball ?

What if the allowable number of scholarship players and/or the number of players allowed on a roster were reduced to allow for a spreading out of talent (thus preventing power conf teams from stockpiling talent) ?

I am just spitballing some potential solutions off the top of my head without fully thinking them through. Perhaps others here will have better, more creative potential solutions.

But then I realize that if the power conferences were forced to compromise or restrict their competitive advantages in favor of non-power conferences/mid-majors then, they would probably just split off from the NCAA and do their own thing.

It’s like playing a game of chess against the power conferences and realizing you can’t avoid checkmate. This is all very frustrating.
Everyone is overthinking this - the ultimate decider is playing time and being on a winning team. The P5 schools will not take every good player. They are already taking the best of the hidden gems the A10 programs find. I see very little change from this ruling.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote: 4 months ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 4 months ago

Everyone is overthinking this - the ultimate decider is playing time and being on a winning team. The P5 schools will not take every good player. They are already taking the best of the hidden gems the A10 programs find. I see very little change from this ruling.
Yes Rlaw, the P5/BE can't take every good player, but this can continue to widen the gap between those programs and the mid-majors.
You forgot to mention that NIL can also play a major part in the player's decision.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Won't it also benefit...the players?
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

All I have to say to those coaches is Oh Well! Too Bad!
Besides, I am sure many of the coaches he is referring to are from P5/BE schools.
I feel horrible for them, give them a tissue.

If you really like a player and feel they will help your program, you take them regardless.
Besides the norm used to be transfers had to sit anyway.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Besides, I am sure many of the coaches he is referring to are from P5/BE schools.

If you really like a player and feel they will help your program, you take them regardless.
Totally agree 77 , what a crock of bull sugar !!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 4 months ago

Totally agree 77 , what a crock of bull sugar !!
Yeah they probably just went and got someone immediately eligible. Not a big deal.
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Don’t expect green to play if this is true:

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

And he shouldn't play under these circumstances. Not worth giving up a year of eligibility for two non-conference games. But we should start getting him ready in case he'd be allowed to play the rest of the season after the 12/27 court hearing
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rhodysurf wrote: 4 months ago Don’t expect green to play if this is true:

Doubt that stands for long.

Do they want to get sued even harder?

They are insane.
Last edited by PeterRamTime 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodysurf wrote: 4 months ago Don’t expect green to play if this is true:

That is certainly different than the previous rumor mill.
At this point I wouldn't believe anything until an official announcement is made.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago And he shouldn't play under these circumstances. Not worth giving up a year of eligibility for two non-conference games. But we should start getting him ready in case he'd be allowed to play the rest of the season after the 12/27 court hearing
The other question is what happens to those players that already participated based on what was previously understood.
Sounds like a potential for more lawsuits, UNLV as an example.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago And he shouldn't play under these circumstances. Not worth giving up a year of eligibility for two non-conference games. But we should start getting him ready in case he'd be allowed to play the rest of the season after the 12/27 court hearing
The other question is what happens to those players that already participated based on what was previously understood.
Sounds like a potential for more lawsuits, UNLV as an example.
That's the issue.

The judge will strike this bs down.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

what a shit show!!!
The NCAA is trying to flex their muscles and it is not going to work
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

In all likelihood, the NCAA will lose this case on the 27th and everyone will officially be eligible.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Well, at least it's a cluster. And boy, that cluster spun up quick out of the gate tho, no?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rjv wrote: 4 months ago what a shit show!!!
Green and everyone else will officially be good to go by the 27th. They're just wasting everyone's time.

We and everyone else should just play the players anyway.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Green and everyone else will officially be good to go by the 27th. They're just wasting everyone's time.

Disagree here. Yeah, I'd love to shit down the NCAA's throat, but you can't use Green as a pawn in that, it wouldn't be fair to him
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 months ago In all likelihood, the NCAA will lose this case on the 27th and everyone will officially be eligible.
Correct PRT, but the next couple of games can make a big difference to some schools.
With this gray area, it sounds very unfair.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Whatever happened to APR? Does that even exist anymore?
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago Whatever happened to APR? Does that even exist anymore?
Haven't seen/heard on any updates on that, seems like forever.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago

Disagree here. Yeah, I'd love to shit down the NCAA's throat, but you can't use Green as a pawn in that, it wouldn't be fair to him
I'm sure WE don't have the balls to do

The can of worms was already opened last night, so if they tried to punish those players then they're getting sued already. Everyone should jump in the same boat.

The NCAA has already lost. It's inevitable.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Just as I thought. The NCAA is outright undermining the court order. They are brainless.

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah no point in playing Green now if it risks losing a whole year of eligbility for just 2 weeks of action. Better to let it play out and see what the deal is once conference play rolls around.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago

I'm sure WE don't have the balls to do

The can of worms was already opened last night, so if they tried to punish those players then they're getting sued already. Everyone should jump in the same boat.

The NCAA has already lost. It's inevitable.
It's easy to have "balls" if you don't care about what happens to the athlete.

Yeah, I think the NCAA is going to get smacked down over this, but that doesn't mean I think we should gamble Green's eligibility on it. Plus Archie said he's not exactly game ready. Use these next two weeks to get him back to game ready and hope to unleash him against Northeastern or Saint Joseph's
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 4 months ago Yeah no point in playing Green now if it risks losing a whole year of eligbility for just 2 weeks of action. Better to let it play out and see what the deal is once conference play rolls around.
Seems like a new turn every day.
At this point, I am sure Green is working out and practicing with the team.

I also have a feeling the NCAA waiver rules will get overturned on Dec. 27th and the kids will play.
Unfortunately, in this environment you never know.
I can't believe the NCAA wants to expose themselves to expensive lawsuits and costly time-consuming litigation.
2 x