12/6 | Brown | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: 12/6 | Brown | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

What's better? Taking an open 10 foot jump shot or driving into the trees and getting your shot blocked or getting fouled and missing the free throws ?(because that's what our team does).
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I would say, easily, the open 10 footer, but I think I read somewhere, not sure where, a couple times...that that is the worst shot in the history of civilization?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago I would say, easily, the open 10 footer, but I think I read somewhere, not sure where, a couple times...that that is the worst shot in the history of civilization?
Correct. Even the cave men turned down the wide open 10 footer.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I think analytics are very helpful and insightful but you need context - which it appears to me that 78 is providing a few posts above.

One needs to try to ascertain shooting percentages while contested versus open or with pressure versus no pressure. An open 3 is great but I would rather have a player take an open 2 than a contested three (unless the player(s) is just simply unconscious from 3 and hitting whatever 3 he throws up some nights).

Same thing with a rim protector contested layup. I would rather have it kicked out to the open 3, if available or an open 2 rather than risk a block or miss. Unless, you are good at drawing fouls and can shoot them at a high enough percentage that justifies going to the line versus an open shot (which is a yes except for the rare players that can’t even sniff 50% from the line).

Much of it is common sense, imho versus over analysis or paralysis by analysis. A players or teams performance isn’t always consistent and neither is the opponents play always consistent.

Further, I think a coach needs to be flexible with adjustments depending how his team is constructed and how they are shooting/playing in a particular game rather than rely too heavily on analytics or a style of play. It is a “feel” for the team on any given night that comes with knowing them - what motivates them, drives them, their individual strengths and weaknesses, their ability to handle pressure, their ability to handle adversity, their ability to take criticism, to handle and process information and then apply it correctly and at the appropriate time.

Of course, there are always exceptions - the rare player that can shoot or score from anywhere; the rare coach who has a system but can tweak it, adapt it to player strengths to win a game and/or win a championship.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 4 months ago I think analytics are helpful and insightful but you need context - which it appears to me that 78 is providing a few posts above.

One needs to try to ascertain shooting percentages while contested versus open. An open 3 is great but I would rather have a player take an open 2 than a contested three (unless the player(s) is just simply unconscious from 3 and hitting whatever 3 he throws up some nights).

Same thing with a rim protector contested layup. I would rather have it kicked out to the open 3, if available or an open 2 rather than risk a block or miss. Unless, you are good at drawing fouls and can shoot them at a high enough percentage.

Much of it is common sense, imho versus over analysis or paralysis by analysis. A players or teams performance isn’t always consistent and neither is the opponents play always consistent.

Further, I think a coach needs to be flexible with adjustments depending how his team is constructed and how they are shooting/playing in a particular game rather than rely too heavily on analytics or a style of play.

Of course, there are always exceptions - the rare player that can shoot or score from anywhere; the rare coach who has a system but can tweak it, adapt it to player strengths to win a game and/or win a championship.
I just want players that can defend, score a basket and make free throws. I'm not asking for much, am I?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago I would say, easily, the open 10 footer, but I think I read somewhere, not sure where, a couple times...that that is the worst shot in the history of civilization?
Correct. Even the cave men turned down the wide open 10 footer.
I've heard that the Incas used to use those who took the open 10 footer as human sacrifices to the basketball gods
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 4 months ago
theblueram wrote: 4 months ago I hope the Brown game was a wake up call. Cause I had the next two as losses in my prediction. Won't be fun coming back to the Ryan Center 4-6 against D1 this OOC.
3 of the next 4 games are with Coastal Athletic Conference CAA Teams

All 4 remaining OOC Games are against teams with better NET's (132, 84, 150 and 205) than URI (240)

URI NET = 240

central ct state Home W 271 (2-5)
Fairfield Home W 283 (2-6)
Wagner Home W 290 (3-4)
Northwestern Neutral L 58 (6-1)
Mississippi State/Washington State Neutral L 40 (6-2)
J&W Home W None
Yale Home W 166 (4-5)
PC Away L 65 (7-2)
Brown Home L 246 (2-8)

AT College of Charlesston Away 132 (4-4)
Delaware Neutral 84 (5-3)
UNH Home 150 (5-4)
Northeastern Home 205 (4-6)
I can see us losing our next 2 but if we lose to UNH or NE @ home it’s going to be a long season
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

reef wrote: 4 months ago
ramster wrote: 4 months ago
theblueram wrote: 4 months ago I hope the Brown game was a wake up call. Cause I had the next two as losses in my prediction. Won't be fun coming back to the Ryan Center 4-6 against D1 this OOC.
3 of the next 4 games are with Coastal Athletic Conference CAA Teams

All 4 remaining OOC Games are against teams with better NET's (132, 84, 150 and 205) than URI (240)

URI NET = 240

central ct state Home W 271 (2-5)
Fairfield Home W 283 (2-6)
Wagner Home W 290 (3-4)
Northwestern Neutral L 58 (6-1)
Mississippi State/Washington State Neutral L 40 (6-2)
J&W Home W None
Yale Home W 166 (4-5)
PC Away L 65 (7-2)
Brown Home L 246 (2-8)

AT College of Charlesston Away 132 (4-4)
Delaware Neutral 84 (5-3)
UNH Home 150 (5-4)
Northeastern Home 205 (4-6)
I can see us losing our next 2 but if we lose to UNH or NE @ home it’s going to be a long season
This board will really flip out if we lose to UNH or NE, but I don't see that happening.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 4 months ago I think analytics are helpful and insightful but you need context - which it appears to me that 78 is providing a few posts above.

One needs to try to ascertain shooting percentages while contested versus open. An open 3 is great but I would rather have a player take an open 2 than a contested three (unless the player(s) is just simply unconscious from 3 and hitting whatever 3 he throws up some nights).

Same thing with a rim protector contested layup. I would rather have it kicked out to the open 3, if available or an open 2 rather than risk a block or miss. Unless, you are good at drawing fouls and can shoot them at a high enough percentage.

Further, I think a coach needs to be flexible with adjustments depending how his team is constructed and how they are shooting/playing in a particular game rather than rely too heavily on analytics or a style of play.

I just want players that can defend, score a basket and make free throws. I'm not asking for much, am I?
Hold on…let me go in back to see if we have those items in stock here. Give me a minute.

Sorry but we are unable to stock all 3 items here presently. I can give you shooters. We have those but no defenders or foul shooters.

The boss says we don’t have the space nor the budget to stock all three items anymore. He said it has something to do with Not In Luck (NIL) or what we used to say…you’re shit out of luck in these parts!

Anyway, You may want to try that new thingy other coaches use. I think it’s called Coach Amazon Prime or something ?

:D
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 4 months ago I think analytics are very helpful and insightful but you need context - which it appears to me that 78 is providing a few posts above.

One needs to try to ascertain shooting percentages while contested versus open or with pressure versus no pressure. An open 3 is great but I would rather have a player take an open 2 than a contested three (unless the player(s) is just simply unconscious from 3 and hitting whatever 3 he throws up some nights).

Same thing with a rim protector contested layup. I would rather have it kicked out to the open 3, if available or an open 2 rather than risk a block or miss. Unless, you are good at drawing fouls and can shoot them at a high enough percentage that justifies going to the line versus an open shot (which is a yes except for the rare players that can’t even sniff 50% from the line).

Further, I think a coach needs to be flexible with adjustments depending how his team is constructed and how they are shooting/playing in a particular game rather than rely too heavily on analytics or a style of play. It is a “feel” for the team on any given night that comes with knowing them - what motivates them, drives them, their individual strengths and weaknesses, their ability to handle pressure, their ability to handle adversity, their ability to take criticism, to handle and process information and then apply it correctly and at the appropriate time.

The bottom line is the two things can be true.

1. Yes, the analytics emphasize shooting and making 3-point shots. I get that. I'm not a dummy when it comes to basketball, although many on this board would disagree with my self-assessment. (And you're entitled to your opinion.) I realize the game has changed and there's a heavy emphasis on shooting the 3.

2. But it can also be true that a mid-range shot is a good shot, effective shot, and a player can be a great player if he has a great mid-range game.

Making blanket statements that "the mid-range is the worst shot" in basketball is simply not accurate. Every shot depends on time, score, who is shooting it, and from what distance. (10 feet, 15 feet, 19 feet)

Just like saying a "dunk is the best shot" in basketball. That would be wrong too.
1 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago
Rhody22 wrote: 4 months ago
rambone 78 wrote: 4 months ago We are seriously overrated talent wise. It's becoming more obvious game by game.
The only people who have overrated our talent are the ones on this board who wave their pompoms at every player signed. Everyone without Rhody blinders on, knew we wouldn’t be a good team. I remember how Cam and Dubsky were gonna be important rotation pieces from day one and wouldn’t take long to be in the starting lineup. And anyone who dares to say anything negative is absolutely torn apart on the board.

I read the board consistently but post rarely as I see how sensitive people can get over others’ opinions. I think I might read it just for the ridiculously delusional takes. I know that’s what fans do, but some dose of reality would be helpful. There was even talk about how we could get an at-large bid!! We’ve become so bad that my friends (fans of other teams) no longer give me crap about Rhody bball because it’s like beating a dead horse.
I’ve said this same thing for years and get shit on lol nice to see other people have the same opinion.
I say this every year also and get shit on too…
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago

The only people who have overrated our talent are the ones on this board who wave their pompoms at every player signed. Everyone without Rhody blinders on, knew we wouldn’t be a good team. I remember how Cam and Dubsky were gonna be important rotation pieces from day one and wouldn’t take long to be in the starting lineup. And anyone who dares to say anything negative is absolutely torn apart on the board.

I read the board consistently but post rarely as I see how sensitive people can get over others’ opinions. I think I might read it just for the ridiculously delusional takes. I know that’s what fans do, but some dose of reality would be helpful. There was even talk about how we could get an at-large bid!! We’ve become so bad that my friends (fans of other teams) no longer give me crap about Rhody bball because it’s like beating a dead horse.
I’ve said this same thing for years and get shit on lol nice to see other people have the same opinion.
I say this every year also and get shit on too…
22 if I remember correctly the last time you were on here you were complaining about Bray which a lot of people were. You seem to be one of those people that only prefers to comment on here when we are at our worst. Im not sure why but you’re not the only one. Misery loves company I guess.

I don’t remember you being alone and getting shit on by a lot of people about Bray. Was there another player? Or players? Maybe some people still believed in Bray but plenty had their doubts. As for an at large I would say 90% of people on here didn’t expect an at large. I predicted that we would go 16-15 this year. What was your prediction?
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING