12/10 | Charleston | 2:00PM (FloHoops)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 12/10 | Charleston | 2:00PM (FloHoops)

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 4 months ago
reef wrote: 4 months ago I doubt Arch is going to start Cam anytime soon though I would like to see him get 15-20 minutes or more to see what he can do
Would you start him Reef?

Stevey is saying start Cam. He is not implying he will.
No I wouldn’t start Cam but I would play him 15-20 minutes per night
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 4 months ago I think this game will tell us a lot about this team and our coach. All I'll say is I'm hearing rumblings that things aren't going well behind the scenes. This game either gets this team back to feeling confident and energized, or we could lose our next four games.. This is a must-win to me. And no when I say must win it doesn't mean I think we have a chance at a bid. I never thought that. It's a must-win to me because if we don't, I think we could have a repeat of last year, and that's going to kill any momentum for this program.

Start Cam. I understand his defense isn't where it needs to be yet, but let's see if this kid can provide a spark like he did against Northwestern. If he can drop 15 against a team like that, he can make a big impact against Charleston.
Stevey,
Minutes from Cam last 5 games have dropped with each game from 28, 18, 11, 9 and 7
28 minutes was Estevez’ high for the year vs Northwestern and he scored 15 points

His last 2 games with PC and Brown Cam has looked tentative and has had 3 turnovers in just 16 minutes. In other games he has played with confidence.

In starting Cam who would you sit? Who would your starters be?
I doubt Cam stands much of a chance to start. But he doesn't need to be getting under 10 minutes, either...It's tough for a player when one or two mistakes means you're likely out. If Archie allows Cam to work through those learning moments, I believe we'll witness some impressive performances from him. Besides, he's got the potential to catch fire from beyond the arc.

I'd go Luis, Cam, House, Zek, Bilau. If Bilau can't start, then I'd put Fuchs in there. Although Foumena runs the floor better than all our bigs, he may be better for offensive purposes. For a solid defensive anchor, Brown's your guy. The specific big doesn't matter as much to me as having the other four in the starting lineup..

My thought process is we need this team to get some easy baskets and we need to have more ball pressure on the defensive end. Instead of constantly trying to run through screens, I would switch everything. Or I'd try a zone. I think Charleston shoots 28% from 3. If they shoot like they normally do, and if we rebound well, and that's a big IF, we can play more up-tempo, hopefully leading to easier baskets and possibly more open 3-point shots. Which would be great if you have guys like Zek and Cam open from deep.

I don't want to go into this game with no changes. I'm not saying they abandon everything they have practiced; I'm just hoping Archie sprinkled in some new ideas since his worst loss as the head coach of our program.

We'll see!!
Try a zone might be under "we don't do that here"? Btw, is there a list someplace? (Asking for a friend)
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Got to give Cam more minutes. Every truly good player makes an impact as a freshman. We need to see what he’s got.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago

Steve we are 4-4 against D1 teams. And our schedule is a disaster from SOS. We are NET 240. This team is basically a disaster.
Things are troubling right now, and that's why I'm suggesting some changes should be made. I wouldn't call it a disaster yet. We have one horrible loss. If that continues to happen and we finish at the bottom of the A10, that's a disaster. Many teams have a bad loss on their resume, so we must get back on track tomorrow.
Get back on track? To what? We finish 8th in a one bid A10 league? Or even fifth or fourth? This team has some serious issues that need to be fixed. I expect at large bids, not a good seed in an A10 tournament to get the only bid in the conference.
Getting back on track means not losing to teams like Brown and securing wins against the teams we're expected to beat.. Last year, we faced several losses against teams similar to Brown. I didn't anticipate a repeat of that this year. I think it's unrealistic to expect an at-large bid right away. I believe my expectations align more with what many others might think here. My goal this year was to become a better team, aiming for a .500 finish — essentially establishing ourselves as a mid-level A10 team with some promising young players to develop. Next year, I'd like to land an NIT bid, and by year four, I hope to be in contention for a bid. Given that we basically started from scratch this year, I view this season as the initial rebuilding phase. Others might not share the same perspective, but that's how I see it.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

UCH21377 wrote: 4 months ago Got to give Cam more minutes. Every truly good player makes an impact as a freshman. We need to see what he’s got.
Agreed. It's not like he hasn't impacted games this year. He was great against Northwestern and looked good against Yale and Fairfield. It's limited shots, but he's shooting 41% from 3 and 100% from the line so far... A 3 pt shooter and a good free throw shooter could help this team. It reminds me of when Ish wasn't getting enough minutes his freshman year when it was clear he would be a good player. Play Cam!!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

To those going to the game - have fun in the best city !

Unfortunately I had to leave Charleston to head back to CT for Christmas with the family

I would have made more of a case for staying an extra week and going to the game but the brown game for me too aggravated and we have things to do back up north

Enjoy Charleston - the best move I ever made for the family !
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This is a big game for us , I hope we are up to the challenge
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I doubt Cam stands much of a chance to start. But he doesn't need to be getting under 10 minutes, either...It's tough for a player when one or two mistakes means you're likely out. If Archie allows Cam to work through those learning moments, I believe we'll witness some impressive performances from him. Besides, he's got the potential to catch fire from beyond the arc.

I'd go Luis, Cam, House, Zek, Bilau. If Bilau can't start, then I'd put Fuchs in there. Although Foumena runs the floor better than all our bigs, he may be better for offensive purposes. For a solid defensive anchor, Brown's your guy. The specific big doesn't matter as much to me as having the other four in the starting lineup..

My thought process is we need this team to get some easy baskets and we need to have more ball pressure on the defensive end. Instead of constantly trying to run through screens, I would switch everything. Or I'd try a zone. I think Charleston shoots 28% from 3. If they shoot like they normally do, and if we rebound well, and that's a big IF, we can play more up-tempo, hopefully leading to easier baskets and possibly more open 3-point shots. Which would be great if you have guys like Zek and Cam open from deep.

I don't want to go into this game with no changes. I'm not saying they abandon everything they have practiced; I'm just hoping Archie sprinkled in some new ideas since his worst loss as the head coach of our program.

We'll see!!
Steve we are 4-4 against D1 teams. And our schedule is a disaster from SOS. We are NET 240. This team is basically a disaster.
Things are troubling right now, and that's why I'm suggesting some changes should be made. I wouldn't call it a disaster yet. We have one horrible loss. If that continues to happen and we finish at the bottom of the A10, that's a disaster. Many teams have a bad loss on their resume, so we must get back on track tomorrow.
I finally watched the PC-URI Game the other night and at about 3 minutes in Montgomery was bringing the ball up center court. House was to the right wing and waving his hands, jerked his head towards the sky basically showing his frustration that Zek didn't pass him the ball. Devin Carter was not too far away from House so not like he was wide open. Just not a good look when a player does these geriatrics. Not healthy for fans to see. I also see House very frustrated when he comes out of games at times.

Guards Rebounding or lack thereof:
Prior to the PC Game Media Event it was interesting when Steve M asked Archie about rebounding from his guards. Kind of a strange questions that I wonder of Archie even planted the question with Steve beforehand. At any rate Archie's response was "Way more" "Way more". Archie said it twice for emphasis.
URI starting guards got outrebounded 19-4 by PC starting guards. Tyson Brown got only 1 rebound in 11 minutes as he picked up 4 quick fouls. Fuchs had 6 rebounds which was more than the other 4 starters combined. Bilau got 9 and Foumena 5 off the bench.

Vs Brown our guards got 9 rebounds, same as Brown. Fuchs got 8, Bilau 9 and Foumena 7 while Brown only got 2. I can see Bilau starting in place of Brown soon, maybe Foumena starts for Brown.
I struggle with the 4 guard concept because our guards are not very physical and don't rebound well and don't steal the ball well either. We are dead last in A10 with steals per game. Once A10 Conference Tournament comes around the Final 4 Teams will all be playing 2 Big Men. 4 Guards is not likely to win the AQ.

I agree play Estevez more, see if he can earn a starting position.

If Miller does go with 4 guards then that will answer the question of whether that will work. If it does great, if it doesn't then he 4 guards will have separated themselves (both offensively AND defensively) as to who the Top 3 are - then can go back to 2 big men if necessary. Try something different.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

….maybe some zone press/traps…..😉
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Count me in on. I’m dumbfounded why Cam doesn’t get more time.

100 on a RHODY win today gets you 500.

GO RHODY!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Have to watch this rookie. Keeps getting better.

CAA ROOKIE OF THE WEEK
Jordan Crawford, Charleston
Freshman | Guard | Charlotte, N.C. / North Mecklenburg
Crawford was in double figures in both games for Charleston at The Field of 68 Tip-Off in Boca Raton. The guard from Charlotte scored 11 points in 12 minutes to help Charleston a win over Liberty on Friday night and scored 13 points in 20 minutes on Saturday at No. 13 Florida Atlantic. Crawford went 7-for-14 from the floor and 5-for-9 from distance over the two contests.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I hate feeling this way. So numb. Pointless game.

For some reason I didn’t cancel flo after football so I’ll still watch the car crash unfold.

Please don’t embarrass us.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Archie needs to prove he still has his fast ball soon. I'm really hoping that we are not heading towards another lost season of disfunction and in fighting. Hopefully the rumors that have popped up here are overblown. We can't afford another reboot. Let's go coaches and players. Show some balls and self pride and start putting this program back on the map starting today.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ram1980 wrote: 4 months ago Archie needs to prove he still has his fast ball soon. I'm really hoping that we are not heading towards another lost season of disfunction and in fighting. Hopefully the rumors that have popped up here are overblown. We can't afford another reboot. Let's go coaches and players. Show some balls and self pride and start putting this program back on the map starting today.
So, I heard the rumors about House and Fuchs going at it a little bit in practice. I don't think that's a big deal. What else is going on?
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

If there is infighting and bs going on within the program, what's the point of any of these guys even playing basketball? So stupid, just fucking get along and come together as a cohesive group. WTF
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 4 months ago I doubt Arch is going to start Cam anytime soon though I would like to see him get 15-20 minutes or more to see what he can do
Would you start him Reef?

Stevey is saying start Cam. He is not implying he will.
I would start him. If he is going to be a star for us, then he needs to start now and step up. If Archie doesn't think so, then why the hell did he give him a scholarship? Cause what's been thrown out on the court isn't working at all.
I would start him as well. He has shown enough already to get a good chance. It’s not like the current 3 guards have dominated. Last in A10 in steals, poor rebounding, room to improve shooting.
What’s to lose?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Cam ain't starting
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RI_Bred wrote: 4 months ago If there is infighting and bs going on within the program, what's the point of any of these guys even playing basketball? So stupid, just fucking get along and come together as a cohesive group. WTF
Do you think we’re the only team in history who has teammates going at it?

I’d rather that than them not caring.

“What’s the point of any of these guys even playing basketball” is a ridiculous thing to say
1 x
Go Rhody
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago
RI_Bred wrote: 4 months ago If there is infighting and bs going on within the program, what's the point of any of these guys even playing basketball? So stupid, just fucking get along and come together as a cohesive group. WTF

“What’s the point of any of these guys even playing basketball” is a ridiculous thing to say
From what is being posted here coupled with Miller's comments it seems like they are not caring right now. That's what I'm saying.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Any luck with a link yet?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhody Guy wrote: 4 months ago Any luck with a link yet?
Yeah let us know if anyway to watch free today
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RI_Bred wrote: 4 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago

From what is being posted here coupled with Miller's comments it seems like they are not caring right now. That's what I'm saying.
Arch said (something like) "camaraderie and togetherness" was their biggest problem, didn't he? I mean, what else can you say?
What else do you need to say? Coach can't make the players do that. I think the players have to decide whether or not to nut up...which reminds me...

0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

looking like radio for this one. Unbelievable.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 months ago
So you're saying we have a chance now?

😂
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Well we’re getting a different starting lineup to say the least!
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Also do any of you have discord if so I’ll set up a livestream of the game
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Bench protocol
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Missing weston will hurt.

Starting lineups when healthy should be Luis, House, weston/cam, zek, bilau
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

If anyone wants to I set up a stream on a discord server for the game, if you don’t have discord all you have to do is stop a free account and join the voice channel im in

https://discord.gg/ygGctyd2
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Hahahaahah he’s starting always over Cam! What a joke… I can only laugh at this point…
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

...did House clock Fuchs and give him a concussion?
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Dino611 wrote: 4 months ago Also do any of you have discord if so I’ll set up a livestream of the game
I'll re-download it real quick lol
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 months ago Hahahaahah he’s starting always over Cam! What a joke… I can only laugh at this point…
Gracious god we are fucked

Having a guard who doesn’t play defense oh boy
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Well at least Bilau is back to starting
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 months ago Cam ain't starting
Hopefully Ways shows up and Cam uses this as fuel. Maybe Cam has sucked at practice but I look at the two players and one is clearly better to me but let’s see what happens… I’m happy Bilau is starting
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Didn't realize we have to listen to their announcers on the Varsity app...great.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

they did say, playing Rhody was a good opportunity to get back on track
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RI_Bred wrote: 4 months ago Didn't realize we have to listen to their announcers on the Varsity app...great.

I got Stone and Silk
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Always Wright starts, and gets the first points, a trey.

Montgomery hobbling
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Kortright for 2
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

section(105) wrote: 4 months ago
RI_Bred wrote: 4 months ago Didn't realize we have to listen to their announcers on the Varsity app...great.

I got Stone and Silk
Thanks I'll take another look.

Edit: got it thanks, didn't realize there were two broadcast options.
Last edited by RI_Bred 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

House for three.

Sounds like they have been listening to this board this week.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Well if Zek is out we’re done.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

10-10 at the media TO
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 months ago Well if Zek is out we’re done.
Terrible luck!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Not for nothing, but Charleston looks like they are they same level of competition as Rhody. Very evenly matched teams. URI has a few players stepping up early and playing up to Charleston, rather than playing down to Brown like they did last game. If anything were to happen to the A10, I could see URI in this Conference against teams like this one.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Look way more crisp out there
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

mid range fade away jumper by Kortright... lol
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Nice lineup change. Looking better?
0 x