12/6 | Brown | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Re: 12/6 | Brown | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 months ago
PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 4 months ago

I knew Connor wasn't going to play this year as he's not remotely ready, but I'm totally confused about why Cam doesn't get more minutes. He was one of the best players on the floor against a high major in Northwestern and seemed to be taking a turn. However, his playing time has been inconsistent: 30 minutes in one game, followed by 18, then 11, 9, and tonight, a mere 7 minutes. How is he supposed to establish any rhythm under these circumstances? It's not like people were playing well. Why can't he see the floor? I understood why Cam didn't play much against PC, as he looked petrified, but it makes no sense why Always received more minutes tonight when he's nowhere near the caliber of player Cam is. Always shouldn't even be part of the rotation, let alone getting more minutes than a player like Cam. Zek has been awful the last two games why not try and play one of the only offensive threats you have! Cam will be a good D1 player, but it likely won't be at URI.

And if you think our fans are the only ones who overrated our players, you clearly didn't read what our coach said about these players. He said Fuchs was one of the best freshmen in the country. He was super high on Luis, House, Zek, Brown etc...

Our head coaches rotations have absolutely sucked in multiple games this year. Bilau should be playing more. Weston should be playing more. Cam should be playing more. Why do we keep playing two bigs?!. The best we looked all year was when we went smaller! The most energy and excitement we had was when we went smaller! But nah, screw it. Let's play two slower bigs and force-feed a freshman. Heck of a coaching decision. Our team looks like they don't give a shit half the time, and we dig ourselves in holes. Oh and Blueram I was 100% wrong...Yale sucks. I thought they would have a good team this year. They don't. They suck, and we have zero good wins this year. We have beaten scrubs and have random good moments against good teams mixed in with some of the most uninspiring worst basketball I've seen in a Rhody uniform. That includes Cox.

I was genuinely thrilled when we acquired Archie. I had immense confidence in his abilities. I anticipated he would recruit outstanding players and, most importantly, put those players in the best place to succeed...But reality hasn't matched those expectations.. I gave him a pass last year. I heard all offseason from people very close to this team how much better we would be and how good our new players would be. It's disappointing because I truly believe we have talented players this season compared to last year. Yet, what's lacking is a team that seems effectively coached.

What I see is a team that is asleep for long stretches. Defensively, we often seem lost and stubbornly stick to strategies that aren't effective. Rotations suck. You don't press? Is that a fucking joke? Our free-throw shooting is abysmal, and we frequently get outcoached and outmaneuvered. This isn't what I envisioned under Archie Miller. Similar complaints arose among Indiana fans, which I chose to overlook. There were murmurs about his coaching from other sources, too, but I turned a blind eye. I was wrong.

This is the first time since we hired Archie that I'm seriously worried about the future of this program. What's the answer? A small point guard in Hammond? Cam Fuchs and Foumena will develop? Even if they do and stay, it doesn't matter if our coach can't figure out how to get the best out of his players...

Sorry for the rant...I'm clearly very emotional after a bad loss, so I'm probably overreacting, but this sucks. The bottom line is I'm done blindly believing in Archie, and I need to see some results moving forward.
Do you live in Fansville? Are you drinking Dr. Pepper?
Do you ever comment on the actual topic, or do you just come on here to criticize what other people post? Then again, I never took anything you said seriously after you claimed that Fatt's shot against Oklahoma was a bad shot...
Low percentage shot that was made by Fatts (which made him a highlight). Stop living in the past...I mean seriously. Move on.

Enjoy your Dr. Pepper.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

These guys can't hit FTs. Why would anyone want them to take a contested pull up jumper at the foul line?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Is a floater considered to be a mid-range shot? It's a very effective shot compared to going all the way to the rim and getting blocked so often. Steph Curry uses a floater. Yes, you need to work on it to be good at it, but it's a great weapon.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago Is a floater considered to be a mid-range shot? It's a very effective shot compared to going all the way to the rim and getting blocked so often. Steph Curry uses a floater. Yes, you need to work on it to be good at it, but it's a great weapon.
Good question. I always thought a mid range jumper was a foul line area shot around the basket. Many players might fade away from the shot. A floater is a driving to the basket, with jumping on forward momentum, and shooting the ball.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 months ago I think the mid range can arguably be the best shot in basketball. Especially for a team like URI who don’t dominate from the arc and can have issues at the rim. Zek has been good from mid range. The spacing needs to be better.
Have you seen Zek lately? (Asking for a friend that misses him)
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 months ago Ok

Math time. Agree 3 is more than 2. Basketball is a geometry game. Bunch of straight lines with a circle tossed in. So y’all are suggesting as an offense you won’t contest 2/3 of that space inside the circle? You’re gonna completely give it to me as a defense?

Brilliant.

Jeez sometimes this place comes up with some beautiful stuff.

😂 🤣
This place didn't come up with it. It's been known for a while that the mid-range shot is basically dead.. Most teams and players practice catch-and-shoot 3s OR driving it to the paint. Yes, there are players who are still strong mid-range players, but we don't have that on this team. Unless you think Kevin Durant is walking through this door.. Basketball is more efficient than ever. So when the league average for, say, the corner 3 in the NBA is 40%, and the elbow jumper is 42%, why the hell would you go with the elbow jumper?

And that you guys want a team that is absolutely terrible at free throws to take more shots from that area makes no sense to me.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago Is a floater considered to be a mid-range shot? It's a very effective shot compared to going all the way to the rim and getting blocked so often. Steph Curry uses a floater. Yes, you need to work on it to be good at it, but it's a great weapon.
Good question. I always thought a mid range jumper was a foul line area shot around the basket. Many players might fade away from the shot. A floater is a driving to the basket, with jumping on forward momentum, and shooting the ball.
No the floater is not a mid-range shot. It's a type of layup.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Do you live in Fansville? Are you drinking Dr. Pepper?
Do you ever comment on the actual topic, or do you just come on here to criticize what other people post? Then again, I never took anything you said seriously after you claimed that Fatt's shot against Oklahoma was a bad shot...
Low percentage shot that was made by Fatts (which made him a highlight). Stop living in the past...I mean seriously. Move on.

Enjoy your Dr. Pepper.
Ya, you said it was a bad shot, and he should have passed it. But anyone who plays this game or coaches knows there are such things as momentum changers. Weather it's a big block, a big dunk, or a coach gets a tech to fire up his team. Or when you steal the ball from the best player in the country, and you drain a 3 in his eye, the entire place and announcers lose their minds in excitement. You hit a shot like that, and you ride that momentum for all it's worth. Shots like that are a game changer.

Also, you're quoting the wrong person, bud. I never said I drank Dr. Pepper or brought up Dr. Pepper.. I believe that was blueram and good for him. He can do whatever the hell he wants.. In fact, I don't drink any soda, nice try, though.
Last edited by steveystuds06 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

There’s a “floater” joke peeking out like a frightened turtle around here somewhere - I just know it.

(a small Fat Bastard reference for the Austin Powers fans in the KB verse)

:lol:
Last edited by Jdrums#3 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Enjoy your Dr. Pepper.
Ya, you said it was a bad shot, and he should have passed it. But anyone who plays this game or coaches knows there are such things as momentum changers. Weather it's a big block, a big dunk, or a coach gets a tech to fire up his team. Or when you steal the ball from the best player in the country, and you drain a 3 in his eye, the entire place and announcers lose their minds in excitement. You hit a shoot like that, and you ride that momentum for all it's worth. Shots like that are a game changer. That's what that shot was

Also, you're quoting the wrong person, bud. I never said I drank Dr. Pepper or brought up Dr. Pepper.. I believe that was blueram and good for him. He can do whatever the hell he wants.. In fact, I don't drink any soda, nice try, though.
Hah, I didn't bring up Dr. Pepper. That was TP. I just said no one should tell me what I can drink or do. And yes, I do enjoy Dr. Pepper :lol: :lol:
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 months ago I think the mid range can arguably be the best shot in basketball. Especially for a team like URI who don’t dominate from the arc and can have issues at the rim. Zek has been good from mid range. The spacing needs to be better.
This is statitstically very untrue. almost every mid range jumper is a bad shot
2 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 4 months ago There’s a “floater” joke peeking out like a frightened turtle around here somewhere - I just know it.

(a small Fat Bastard reference for the Austin Powers fans in the KB verse)

who does #2 work for?
2 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 months ago One thing about Fuchs I will say does tie back to Archie. Fuchs is SLOWWW for a 4. He actually looked serviceable as a 5.

Archie’s best teams were 4 guards and a big. The best team on the floor against brown was four guards and a big - both with and without Fuchs.

Fuchs isn’t a 4. The way the game has evolved has prioritized speed and skill at the old PF position. He’s too slow to stay with a Hopkins or a Holmes. So why Archie keeps trying to jam square peg in round hole is beyond me.

Please make changes Archie. I can’t live with another pointless lost season defending this wall.
That's what it is

It's Fuchs' slowness...seriously

I know everybody has been shitting on your Fuchs takes, but he just takes the team out of any flow. He does make some nice plays! It's not all bad, but when he is out their everything the team does slows down, especially when paired with Brown...or any other big. By himself at the 5 I think he's fine, otherwise we clogs the hell out of the lane and plays develop super slowly with them...then he misses lay ups.

We are just much crisper when he's off the floor...

He might legit need to lose some weight to get quicker.
Pretty funny considering you hyped this kid and the front court as one of the best in the A-10. You said that isn’t like Archie to hype up kids and overrated him as you do with anyone that signs at URI
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RamStock wrote: 4 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 4 months ago One thing about Fuchs I will say does tie back to Archie. Fuchs is SLOWWW for a 4. He actually looked serviceable as a 5.

Archie’s best teams were 4 guards and a big. The best team on the floor against brown was four guards and a big - both with and without Fuchs.

Fuchs isn’t a 4. The way the game has evolved has prioritized speed and skill at the old PF position. He’s too slow to stay with a Hopkins or a Holmes. So why Archie keeps trying to jam square peg in round hole is beyond me.

Please make changes Archie. I can’t live with another pointless lost season defending this wall.
That's what it is

I know everybody has been shitting on your Fuchs takes, but he just takes the team out of any flow. He does make some nice plays! It's not all bad, but when he is out their everything the team does slows down, especially when paired with Brown...or any other big. By himself at the 5 I think he's fine, otherwise we clogs the hell out of the lane and plays develop super slowly with them...then he misses lay ups.

Pretty funny considering you hyped this kid and the front court as one of the best in the A-10. You said that isn’t like Archie to hype up kids and overrated him as you do with anyone that signs at URI
You said Fuchs wouldn't even play lololol

You knew absolutely nothing about him and said that, because you are only interested in trashing everything surrounding the program. That's why you've crawled back out of your hole after the Brown loss.

All I did was point out that he had played for the Austrian U-19 team and spent a season with the German league champions that had former all conference P6 college basketball players on it. The dude got some playing time and practiced with one of the best teams in Europe. Heaven forbid there be some expectations for Fuchs!

Just pointed out that he would play and could be a really good freshman with Archie's claims to back that up.

I never declared a damn thing. Just said he COULD be a really good freshman, but I very much expected him to play a lot. Whereas you thought he was a wasted scholarship. Pretty embarrassing take.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

That's what it is

Oh and with Bilau it's still easily one of the best frontcourts in the A-10.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

That's what it is

You knew absolutely nothing about him and said that, because you are only interested in trashing everything surrounding the program. That's why you've crawled back out of your hole after the Brown loss.

All I did was point out that he had played for the Austrian U-19 team and spent a season with the German league champions that had former all conference P6 college basketball players on it. The dude got some playing time and practiced with one of the best teams in Europe. Heaven forbid there be some expectations for Fuchs!

Just pointed out that he would play and could be a really good freshman with Archie's claims to back that up.

I never declared a damn thing. Just said he COULD be a really good freshman, but I very much expected him to play a lot. Whereas you thought he was a wasted scholarship. Pretty embarrassing take.
What’s a matter? You can’t take criticism? All you do is jump all over people and never are accountable for anything you say. You know as little about the players as anyone on the board. You praised Archie as never hyping anybody and a savior and now you are backtracking. Unlike you I work and have things to do during the day and can’t spend 20 hours on the board trying to jump all over anyone that disagrees with you. You act like you have knowledge of players, but have none. I actually think he will contribute more than some and don’t believe he has been the main problem with this team. He has room to grow just like you!
Last edited by RamStock 4 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I guess the more this team fails, the more contentious this board becomes. Guys, sheesh!
4 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

That's what it is

Nothing is worse than the "fans" who only show up when things are miserable. Archie Miller hyped up Fuchs more than anyone here. The first thing I said about Fuchs was that he was a project. I was 100% wrong about that, by the way. Fuchs is having a very solid freshman year, which is why I don't get why he's getting so much hate.

The player I hyped up the most in the offseason was Cam. I thought he'd be ahead of Always by now. I still think he's a better player and could be one of the better young guards in the conference. I think he needs regular minutes consistently. The rest of our games mean little until the A10 tournament. Play the young guys!

Initially, I had much higher expectations for Archie Miller, which fueled my optimism about many of the new players. I anticipated greatness from Weston, but he hasn't delivered. Bray, whom I considered a significant acquisition, is no longer with us. While I had high hopes for Foumena as a promising big man, my optimism has waned. Same goes for Ant. The list is longer, but those are some examples. I was wrong.

I once believed in this coach, this staff, and their players. However, I'm no longer buying into the hype... I don't even have much hope about the incoming class as I did before this season. Hammond seems promising, but so did Cam, who hasn't seen the floor. Farrell looks like a great defender, which this program desperately needs, but he's very raw on offense. Results are the only thing that will make me believe in Archie again. Right now, I don't.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Nothing is worse than the "fans" who only show up when things are miserable. Archie Miller hyped up Fuchs more than anyone here. The first thing I said about Fuchs was that he was a project. I was 100% wrong about that, by the way. Fuchs is having a very solid freshman year, which is why I don't get why he's getting so much hate.

The player I hyped up the most in the offseason was Cam. I thought he'd be ahead of Always by now. I still think he's a better player and could be one of the better young guards in the conference. I think he needs regular minutes consistently. The rest of our games mean little until the A10 tournament. Play the young guys!

Initially, I had much higher expectations for Archie Miller, which fueled my optimism about many of the new players. I anticipated greatness from Weston, but he hasn't delivered. Bray, whom I considered a significant acquisition, is no longer with us. While I had high hopes for Foumena as a promising big man, my optimism has waned. Same goes for Ant. The list is longer, but those are some examples. I was wrong.

I once believed in this coach, this staff, and their players. However, I'm no longer buying into the hype... I don't even have much hope about the incoming class as I did before this season. Hammond seems promising, but so did Cam, who hasn't seen the floor. Farrell looks like a great defender, which this program desperately needs, but he's very raw on offense. Results are the only thing that will make me believe in Archie again. Right now, I don't.
We all have been wrong over the years many times on players and the team situation. I thought Harris would be one of the best players ever at URI. That didn’t work out. I gave up on Hurley after they lost to Fordham the first year they made the tourney under him. I was dead wrong on that. I just think it is ridiculous when someone praises every player as a star and how they must be good because Archie said they would be. I don’t have a problem with Fuchs because he is a freshman. It is Archie’s fault for talking him up so much. I do have a problem with Archie not wanting to adapt to defensive changes or lighting a match under this team. Everyone has a different way of rooting for a team. The NCAA tournament to me should be the ultimate goal. Finishing in the top half of a weak league or battling for a NIt bid doesn’t do it for me. If it was like the old days and the team grew with a Mobley, Wheeler, Reynolds Dean, Murphy, etc it would be different. It doesn’t have to be that level of talent, but continuity is the key in my mind.
0 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 months ago I guess the more this team fails, the more contentious this board becomes. Guys, sheesh!
I enjoy reading the swing in emotions, verbal assaults, and disagreements over the years. It’s a treat to read all of the comments from our lunatic fan base.

Everyone is down now but that will change if we win the next 4 games. Fuchs and Foumena will be stars and Archie will be king again.

Brown game was awful but we are still trending up. Last years team would lose 8 of every 10 against this team.

This program isn’t a ncaa tournament candidate yet. Next year you should have those expectations and I’d worry about Archie if we aren’t there next year.

Stay positive everyone.
2 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Enjoy your Dr. Pepper.
Ya, you said it was a bad shot, and he should have passed it. But anyone who plays this game or coaches knows there are such things as momentum changers. Weather it's a big block, a big dunk, or a coach gets a tech to fire up his team. Or when you steal the ball from the best player in the country, and you drain a 3 in his eye, the entire place and announcers lose their minds in excitement. You hit a shot like that, and you ride that momentum for all it's worth. Shots like that are a game changer.

So call the made shot a "momentum changer" and move on. Just because somebody makes a shot doesn't mean they took a good shot. Anyone who plays this game or coaches the game knows the difference.

You're talking about a game ages ago. It's 2023. Keep sipping your Dr. Pepper.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It’s still way early in the process let’s see how the rest of this season plays out , lots of hoops left to be played
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago

It’s the worst shot in basketball.
The worst shot is a shot taken by a player who is not comfortable taking or comfortable making that particular shot. So if a player is more comfortable taking a mid-range jumper and will make it at a much higher clip then a shot from deeper, then that's a good shot I want him taking. (See the former Rip Hamilton or current Damar DeRozan in the NBA.) I'll take a made mid-range shot over a missed shot from anywhere.
So you’ve named two players out of hundreds.

Seems like it’s a bad shot with that ratio.

And yea genius, a made shot is better than a missed shot.

Thanks for that, had no idea.
The point is that just because somebody's best shot is the mid-range game doesn't make him a bad player and it doesn't make him worthless. In fact, it may make him pretty darn smart. If I shoot 20% from 3-point land and 40% from 10-19 feet, I'm definitely going to help my team most by shooting the mid-range jumpers. I'm no math major, I know 3 is more than 2 but I also know 40% is better than 20%.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

There have been a few players in this program over the last handful of seasons who have "not seen the floor" but Cam is not one of them. He is getting an opportunity to play. I hope Archie can sleep at night knowing you do not believe in him. :lol: Focus on something else for a while you might feel better. The bad times really make you appreciate the good times.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 months ago

There have been a few players in this program over the last handful of seasons who have "not seen the floor" but Cam is not one of them. He is getting an opportunity to play. I hope Archie can sleep at night knowing you do not believe in him. :lol: Focus on something else for a while you might feel better. The bad times really make you appreciate the good times.
There haven't been any players like EC and Hass who this board wanted to start over upperclassmen recently. They started I think in December their freshman year. But hey, I'm a 4* recruit kinda fan.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

DeanDome88 wrote: 4 months ago

Yes, I know he's seen the floor. I meant it, as he's not getting consistent minutes. I broke down that his minutes kept dropping in another thread. 11, 9, and 7 minutes in the last three games. He has little chance to establish any rhythm.

That's never going to happen. I love this team more than any team in the world. I'll always focus on Rhody. Good times or bad.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Rhody Sody wrote: 4 months ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 4 months ago I guess the more this team fails, the more contentious this board becomes. Guys, sheesh!
I enjoy reading the swing in emotions, verbal assaults, and disagreements over the years. It’s a treat to read all of the comments from our lunatic fan base.

Everyone is down now but that will change if we win the next 4 games. Fuchs and Foumena will be stars and Archie will be king again.

Brown game was awful but we are still trending up. Last years team would lose 8 of every 10 against this team.

This program isn’t a ncaa tournament candidate yet. Next year you should have those expectations and I’d worry about Archie if we aren’t there next year.

Stay positive everyone.
Hah. Their going to have to expand the 8th floor at Newport Hospital if this team doesn't get good soon. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
4 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

That steal and in your face 3 made me a Fatts fan for life.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Stay positive everyone.

The Agony of Defeat...

Vinko Bogataj, eat your heart out.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 4 months ago

Stay positive everyone.

The Agony of Defeat...

Ali looked great
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago
jcru wrote: 4 months ago The Agony of Defeat...

Ali looked great
I like how they led into that segment with Evel Knievel.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ali looked great
My wife actually met, and got autographs from Knievel and Ali on the same day.
3 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 months ago There is kind of a hierarchy of shots, if you will. It goes something like:

Layup / Dunk
Open 3 by 35+ percent shooter, or attacking drive or post-up for 2
Open 2 by 40+ percent shooter
Strongly contested 2
Strongly contested 3

Part of the reason the open 3 has become such an emphasis point isn't just because guys make them - It's because it stretches the defense out. A wing can't sneak into the paint to help on a drive or a post-up if he has to worry about his guy hitting a 3. The peak Warriors teams made plenty of 3s, but they also had plenty of dunks and layups.

It's not that an open 2 is an inherently bad shot, it's just that more good things happen on open 3s (worth 1 more point), and drives to the bucket and post-ups (you draw fouls, which can have a cascade effect on the opponent's rotation). You typically don't draw fouls on midrange jumpers - see the FT rate for guys like Ron Mercer and Rip Hamilton, vs. all-star players from their years in the league.
Rip Hamilton was a three time AllStar FWIW
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

UCH21377 wrote: 4 months ago
SGreenwell wrote: 4 months ago There is kind of a hierarchy of shots, if you will. It goes something like:

Layup / Dunk
Open 3 by 35+ percent shooter, or attacking drive or post-up for 2
Open 2 by 40+ percent shooter
Strongly contested 2
Strongly contested 3

Part of the reason the open 3 has become such an emphasis point isn't just because guys make them - It's because it stretches the defense out. A wing can't sneak into the paint to help on a drive or a post-up if he has to worry about his guy hitting a 3. The peak Warriors teams made plenty of 3s, but they also had plenty of dunks and layups.

It's not that an open 2 is an inherently bad shot, it's just that more good things happen on open 3s (worth 1 more point), and drives to the bucket and post-ups (you draw fouls, which can have a cascade effect on the opponent's rotation). You typically don't draw fouls on midrange jumpers - see the FT rate for guys like Ron Mercer and Rip Hamilton, vs. all-star players from their years in the league.
Rip Hamilton was a three time AllStar FWIW
Rip was ok. /s
Chris Paul doesn't seem to have issues with the mid-range jumper either.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ali looked great
I remember him ! What a freaking daredevil!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

There’s a huge amount of college/nba players who’s offensive careers centered around the mid range. Use it. It’s a greater percentage shot then 3 and less contested than a layup. Pick and roll to the basket also work much better once you hit that mid range jumper off the pick and the defense needs to play you.
1 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 months ago There’s a huge amount of college/nba players who’s offensive careers centered around the mid range. Use it. It’s a greater percentage shot then 3 and less contested than a layup. Pick and roll to the basket also work much better once you hit that mid range jumper off the pick and the defense needs to play you.
Yes, for me, shots taken from any range where the shooter is open, is a good shot. Players passing open shots/looks always bothered me. For me, bad/terrible shots are those forced(except for time clock running down)shots from any range.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

section(105) wrote: 4 months ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 months ago There’s a huge amount of college/nba players who’s offensive careers centered around the mid range. Use it. It’s a greater percentage shot then 3 and less contested than a layup. Pick and roll to the basket also work much better once you hit that mid range jumper off the pick and the defense needs to play you.
Yes, for me, shots taken from any range where the shooter is open, is a good shot. Players passing open shots/looks always bothered me. For me, bad/terrible shots are those forced(except for time clock running down)shots from any range.
An interesting stat would be % of good shots taken. Wonder what ours would be currently?
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Tony Parker made it to the Hall of Fame with his mid-range game.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

To show how much the game has changed, the 3 point shot was introduced during Larry Bird's rookie season. Larry averaged 1.7 attempts per game. Chris Ford averaged 2 attempts per game. That was about it. The Celtics as a team averaged less than 5 attempts per game, despite Larry connecting on 41% of his 3s and Ford connecting on 43% of his. Many teams averaged around 2 attempts per game. I believe today that the average attempts per team is around 30 per game.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 4 months ago
Tony Parker made it to the Hall of Fame with his mid-range game.
And so many more have made/will make it for 3s and inside game.

It really isn’t a debate, the mid range is the worst shot to take in the game.

Just look it up.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We aren’t good at threes and struggle in the paint. What else is there?
0 x
GO RAMS
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 months ago We aren’t good at threes and struggle in the paint. What else is there?
We're 100th in 3-point percentage. It doesn't really matter so much if Montgomery is just vanishing from games, though. (Five total attempts vs. Brown and Providence.)
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 4 months ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 months ago We aren’t good at threes and struggle in the paint. What else is there?
We're 100th in 3-point percentage. It doesn't really matter so much if Montgomery is just vanishing from games, though. (Five total attempts vs. Brown and Providence.)
Good stat! 5 freaking attempts!?

Hey Zek, news flash, YOURE REALLY GOOD.

I'm sure he will be fine. Guys have rough stretches. We obviously don't win if he decides to be a Bradley role player.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I hope the Brown game was a wake up call. Cause I had the next two as losses in my prediction. Won't be fun coming back to the Ryan Center 4-6 against D1 this OOC.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 months ago
Good stat! 5 freaking attempts!?

Hey Zek, news flash, YOURE REALLY GOOD.

I'm sure he will be fine. Guys have rough stretches. We obviously don't win if he decides to be a Bradley role player.
Montgomery has 1 steal in 9 games. That was game 1.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

section(105) wrote: 4 months ago
Since I felt like this was a very interesting topic, I asked a few former players and a coach yesterday.. The most interesting answer I got from a former older point guard of ours who now is a coach was "It's being pushed to the players. I've recently sat in college and NBA team meetings where they tell the players they don't want mid-range shots, only 3s and layups. That goes against everything we were taught growing up"

The NBA uses analytics more than any sport in the world. A player like Steph and a GM like Daryl Morey changed the game, or as it's called, "Moreyball"

I personally don't think every open shot is a good shot. I watched the Lakers dare players like Westbrook to shoot wide-open jumpers in our 2020 championship. They would double or pressure players that shot the 3 well and then left the worst shooters wide open. It worked most of the time. I'm not saying people don't 'use the midrange. We can name plenty of players. But the big picture is that the game is all about spacing now. If you're a 3 and D player, you'll have a real chance to make the league.

Read this article.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/pgj338/ ... -jump-shot
"From Steph to scrub, the 3 point shot has become the great weapon and the great equaliser in modern basketball. Elite teams expect every player on the court to be able to knock down open 3s, even those over 7 foot tall. It took the most advanced spatial tracking technology we've seen in sports to reveal a simple truth: 3 points are more than 2."
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago I hope the Brown game was a wake up call. Cause I had the next two as losses in my prediction. Won't be fun coming back to the Ryan Center 4-6 against D1 this OOC.
3 of the next 4 games are with Coastal Athletic Conference CAA Teams

All 4 remaining OOC Games are against teams with better NET's (132, 84, 150 and 205) than URI (240)

URI NET = 240

central ct state Home W 271 (2-5)
Fairfield Home W 283 (2-6)
Wagner Home W 290 (3-4)
Northwestern Neutral L 58 (6-1)
Mississippi State/Washington State Neutral L 40 (6-2)
J&W Home W None
Yale Home W 166 (4-5)
PC Away L 65 (7-2)
Brown Home L 246 (2-8)

AT College of Charlesston Away 132 (4-4)
Delaware Neutral 84 (5-3)
UNH Home 150 (5-4)
Northeastern Home 205 (4-6)
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I think our frontcourt is much better in the paint this year. Zek, Weston, Cam, and House are all shooting 35% or higher from 3. Luis is best at posting up and attacking the rim. We suck at free throws and creating turnovers. The answer to our problems is not to take shots that most of our players never take in games. Players have their sweat spots they have their go-to moves and spots they feel comfortable scoring in.

I'm down on Archie right now, but he sees these players daily. If the answer to our problems was to go take more elbow jumpers, he'd do it. It's not.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I think our frontcourt is much better in the paint this year. Zek, Weston, Cam, and House are all shooting 35% or higher from 3. Luis is best at posting up and attacking the rim. We suck at free throws and creating turnovers. The answer to our problems is not to take shots that most of our players never take in games. Players have their sweat spots they have their go-to moves and spots they feel comfortable scoring in.

I'm down on Archie right now, but he sees these players daily. If the answer to our problems was to go take more elbow jumpers, he'd do it. It's not.
I'll add that we give up a lot of turnovers that lead to points the other way.

We've had a lot of entry passes intercepted and weak perimeter passing has led to several ugly turnovers. A lot of that is inexperience and a lot of that is lack of spacing. Guys aren't that open.

If we don't go one big four guards against Charleston they will dice our defense up. They really move the ball around well. We have to disrupt them and we aren't doing that with two slow ass bigs in there.
0 x