Ring of Honor

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: Ring of Honor

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Totally understand it was tougher then, that's why I said he's probably on the cutline one way or the other.

Pro: He made a tournament when it was only 32 teams.

Con: If you include him with making only one tournament then you pretty much need to include anyone that makes a tournament.

I guess that's just where we land on what the criteria should be, but coaches should be honored in the Ryan Center as well.

While we're on the subject of honoring coaches, having Keaney Gym is an honor for Frank Keaney, but it feels like there should be more. Perhaps a statue of Keaney in front of Keaney Gym with a better looking plaza area between Keaney Road and the gym? It feels like there needs to be more to honor him since basketball has left there. And maybe in the future run an open practice in there every year? Maybe I'm getting sentimental in my old age, but as great as the Ryan Center is I hate that the only link we have to Keaney Gym is the volleyball program
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago Speaking of Harrick, will he be here tomorrow night?
That’s a really good question, does he live in Southern California? It would be nice if he made it
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If the tournament was 64 teams, Kraft's '79 team would have definitely made it that year too. We did make the NIT and lost to Maryland in 3 OTs.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

reef wrote: 4 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago Speaking of Harrick, will he be here tomorrow night?
That’s a really good question, does he live in Southern California? It would be nice if he made it
He's 85 now...
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RI_Bred wrote: 4 months ago
He's 85 now...
He was here this year on February 18 for the celebration. I’d expect he is here as he loves URI and the people he met here.
IMG_6036.jpeg
IMG_6043.jpeg
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 4 months ago

He's 85 now...
He was here this year on February 18 for the celebration. I’d expect he is here as he loves URI and the people he met here.

IMG_6036.jpeg

IMG_6043.jpeg
59 tics away from the final 4 then Arthur got hot
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

He's 85 now...

IMG_6036.jpeg

IMG_6043.jpeg
Don't remind me...
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

IMG_6036.jpeg

IMG_6043.jpeg
Don't remind me...
It took a long time for that scar to heal. A long time.
1 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Truth is, we never should have lost 1st round the next season with Odom. That region had lots of upsets too. If we won that first game (in OT), we could have made a deep run.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

He's 85 now...
Jim Harrick’s son, Jim Harrick Jr past away this past April from a brain tumor he battled for 2.5 years. Harrick Jr was an assistant here at URI as well as at UGA.

https://www.rmoutlook.com/national-obit ... es-6843760
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

THR TALK ON THIS THREAD HAS FOCUSED MAINLY ON THE MENS BB PROGRAM;THERE ARE PROBABLY MANY RHODY ATHLETES IN OTHER SPORTS ,BOTH MEN AND LADIES, THAT SHOULD BE CONSIDERED FOR THE RING OF HONOR
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

kal-65 wrote: 4 months ago THR TALK ON THIS THREAD HAS FOCUSED MAINLY ON THE MENS BB PROGRAM;THERE ARE PROBABLY MANY RHODY ATHLETES IN OTHER SPORTS ,BOTH MEN AND LADIES, THAT SHOULD BE CONSIDERED FOR THE RING OF HONOR
Well yes, the Ring of Honor thread in the Men’s basketball section would warrant talk solely on the men’s basketball program.
5 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

kal-65 wrote: 4 months ago THR TALK ON THIS THREAD HAS FOCUSED MAINLY ON THE MENS BB PROGRAM;THERE ARE PROBABLY MANY RHODY ATHLETES IN OTHER SPORTS ,BOTH MEN AND LADIES, THAT SHOULD BE CONSIDERED FOR THE RING OF HONOR
The women have one NCAA appearance when I was 8 years old (my beard is gray now), and despite recent "success" have done nothing relative to the national landscape of note.

Considering it's taken 20+ years to finally get the men's team (the team that got the Ryan Center built) some recognition, maybe we can cool it with the DEI rhetoric for a bit and let the guys who directly are responsible for the Ryan Center being built have their moment tonight.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 months ago
The women have one NCAA appearance when I was 8 years old (my beard is gray now), and despite recent "success" have done nothing relative to the national landscape of note.

Considering it's taken 20+ years to finally get the men's team (the team that got the Ryan Center built) some recognition, maybe we can cool it with the DEI rhetoric for a bit and let the guys who directly are responsible for the Ryan Center being built have their moment tonight.
to add to Blue Man's post...why would it make sense to have other athletes from different sports for the ring of honor in the Ryan Center...A BASKETBALL ARENA
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Feel free to start those conversations in the appropriate part of the forum
4 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

He's 85 now...

IMG_6036.jpeg

IMG_6043.jpeg
To this day, EVERYONE in the arena and watching in tv knew that Stanford was intentially trying to foul Mobley. Well other than the 3 refs. To add to that, they did call a foul on ARD on Madsen's dunk for the and 1 - that A: Shouldn't have occurred and B there was no contact - certainly less than that "steal".
3 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steviep123 wrote: 4 months ago

IMG_6036.jpeg

IMG_6043.jpeg
To this day, EVERYONE in the arena and watching in tv knew that Stanford was intentially trying to foul Mobley. Well other than the 3 refs. To add to that, they did call a foul on ARD on Madsen's dunk for the and 1 - that A: Shouldn't have occurred and B there was no contact - certainly less than that "steal".
Ulmer was tripped.

ECs drive wasn't a charge.

(Sorry couldn't resist bitching about other bad/no calls)
6 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Please don't bring up Stanford.. I can't handle it... It makes me sick every single time I think about it!!
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Absolutely love seeing all the 90's footage! It looks so crisp too!

Side note...is there another program that has had as many drastic uniform changes as we have?
6 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 months ago

Absolutely love seeing all the 90's footage! It looks so crisp too!

Side note...is there another program that has had as many drastic uniform changes as we have?
Thanks for posting this, PRT.

Great stuff! Great players! Great memories!

I wonder if coach Skinner will be there tonight? That would be excellent.

Thrilled for all you guys who will be there tonight. Enjoy!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

These 3 players were really really good , everyone knows what a career Cat had in the NBA , but to watch these guys for 4 years on a nightly basis @ URI we have great memories of them , well deserved going into the ring of honor
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm really hoping the stream will show the ceremony. Have to imagine they will but you never know.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 months ago Please don't bring up Stanford.. I can't handle it... It makes me sick every single time I think about it!!
Arthur Lee is a punk.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Coen kept getting crazy numbers on ARD from high school. Figured they were inflated. Then he showed up on campus. Dominated the first scrimmage open to the public. Everyone knew immediately: URI had a special one.
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Tyson was headed to Fairfield. NLHS coach Parker ranted and raved to a reporter: he'd be starting right now for URI and they haven't even called. Reporter told me. Rest is history.
4 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The sad reality is that the half time ceremony will likely be underwhelming considering the accomplishments of these three players. Most all other similar type past events have typically been a bit disappointing. Hopefully they have a several minute video montage highlighting them and people stay in their seats to properly acknowledge them. They deserve more than just a quick public two minute intro to empty seats.
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I heard the videos are worth staying in your seat
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Some great quotes if you read through the thread as well.

1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cool please post the videos of the ceremonies here if possible
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Number of guests here in addition to the 3 honorees. They have a suite reserved.
Student section already larger than normal. Wearing their Keaney blue Santa hats.
Heard a larger than normal crowd expected from a number of staff here.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 4 months ago Number of guests here in addition to the 3 honorees. They have a suite reserved.
Student section already larger than normal. Wearing their Keaney blue Santa hats.
Heard a larger than normal crowd expected from a number of staff here.
Let’s gooooooooooo
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Really great catching up with ARD at halftime. Haven't seen him since he left for Clemson.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Josh King was there and one other player. Didn't get a good look at the other player but he was big. Luther Clay maybe?
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago Josh King was there and one other player. Didn't get a good look at the other player but he was big. Luther Clay maybe?
P Murph didn’t show ? Is he back coaching ?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago Josh King was there and one other player. Didn't get a good look at the other player but he was big. Luther Clay maybe?
He might have been there Reef, but I didn't see him.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Yes, with Alabama
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Nice touch tonight
IMG_1358.jpeg
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Mobley giving advice to House for a couple of minutes prior to the start of the 2nd half.
Very nice gesture.

IMG_1377.jpeg
5 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

About 5 minutes before halftime Mobley and Reynolds-Dean came to these seats as they prepared to be honored.

IMG_1363.jpeg
IMG_1364.jpeg
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

IMG_1368.jpeg
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

IMG_1372.jpeg
IMG_1373.jpeg
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Very nice induction ceremony, great tribute vids for each player and well-received by the crowd. The three of them took the time to wave more than once showing their appreciation. Those were the days...best backcourt in the country!
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 4 months ago About 5 minutes before halftime Mobley and Reynolds-Dean came to these seats as they prepared to be honored.

IMG_1363.jpeg

IMG_1364.jpeg
Thanks for the photos Ramster , much appreciated
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 4 months ago About 5 minutes before halftime Mobley and Reynolds-Dean came to these seats as they prepared to be honored.

IMG_1363.jpeg

IMG_1364.jpeg
You are welcome Reef. You would have really enjoyed the night. The video presentations developed for each player were very well done.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

IMG_1363.jpeg

IMG_1364.jpeg
You are welcome Reef. You would have really enjoyed the night. The video presentations done for each player were very well done.
They did show on espn plus the tributes though it missed ARD
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Thanks for posting the pictures! Happy for those guys. Legends!
2 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

I feel extremely lucky to have graduated in 1998 along w/Tyson & Cat. That NCAA run will always be one of my best collegiate memories...if not best alltime memories.
4 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Mobley came up to our section, signed a bunch of autographs, took some pics, seemed like a good dude
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I would have had them walk out after the video clips on the big screen to a round of applause and them waving to the crowd.

Seems like the obvious thing to do instead of having them at center court with multiple other people.

Walking out from the tunnel would have put 100% of attention solely on them.
1 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Excellent pics! Thank you!
0 x