12/2 | Providence | 7:30PM (FS1)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NarraRamFan
Frenchy Tomlin

Re: 12/2 | Providence | 7:30PM (FS1)

Unread post by NarraRamFan »

I came away from the game optimistic about our future.
5 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

For anyone who has questions about the Pac Line Defense, this pdf tutorial from Xavier is about as good as you are going to get. It's an interesting read:

https://static.goxavier.com/custompages ... ter168.pdf
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

DuneClub wrote: 4 months ago Prov loses a lot. But they are likely to lose even more than that from this roster. There is a good chance Pierre leaves with those upperclassmen.
They are going to need a huge recruiting year just to be respectable. I didn't see any pressure on Rams this year. Next year - another matter entirely. They will have to win. I think the game will be approached with that kind of attitude. In the mean time, let's hit FT at better than 50%.
Not sure why you are assuming all those players will be gone after the season.
1 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Can't wait to see the improvement in this team when Bilau is playing 28 minutes compared to the 14 he played last night. He is truly an offensive threat when he gets the ball down low and a better defensive player than Brown and Foumena.

Finally, leave Fuchs alone and wait and see what he has done when the season is over.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

jcru wrote: 4 months ago For anyone who has questions about the Pac Line Defense, this pdf tutorial from Xavier is about as good as you are going to get. It's an interesting read:

https://static.goxavier.com/custompages ... ter168.pdf
Wait, which is it really.. is it "interesting"? Or, is it about "defense"? :lol:
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think the jury still out on this squad , I think the best we could do is about 10-6 conf and maybe our floor is about 6-10 with most likely somewhere in the middle
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 4 months ago I think the jury still out on this squad , I think the best we could do is about 10-6 conf and maybe our floor is about 6-10 with most likely somewhere in the middle
Well that’s literally impossible because we play 18 league games.

Also, you said PCs “Big 3” is gone next year.

Hopkins and Carter are both juniors, Pierre a sophomore.

Odoro and Gaines only ones who will definitely be gone.

So no idea what you’re talking about with that one either.
0 x
Go Rhody
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 4 months ago I am not responding to one of you in particular but sadly to a lot of you. Maybe it's me who has lost my mind. But this is what I see. We are only 8 games into a season with basically a completely new roster. Last season was one of the worst teams we have ever had. This years team is far better. We have a lot of talent and potential, comprised of a bunch of freshman and sophomores, and no seniors. This team moves the ball around better than I saw over the past 5 years. They look like a team. These guys play hard. NODOBY in their right mind was picking this team to make the NCAAs (or NIT), or finish towards the top of the A10. This was always a building year to get us back in the mix and to hopefully take that big next step NEXT YEAR. We are only 8 games in, and people are crapping on some of our players? This is crazy. I see so many good things happening on the court and I am very happy with where we are right now. Of course I'm disappointed that we didn't beat PC or win a game at Mohegan, buts that's just the reality of where the team is right now. I expect us to be very competitive in the A10 and finish .500 and if that happens I hope you realize that would be a huge success. Hopefully we can do even better and make a run in the A10 tourney, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. This is a process and again we are only 8 GAMES INTO THE SEASON! Let these players develop. Let's see what happens. If we stink again this year, feel free to dump on whoever you would like, at a much later date (if that's what you choose to do). We are clearly moving in the right direction. GR!
Well said. I don't know how good we are yet, but I do know we're a competent team this year, which has been a pleasant change from the last three seasons
Rhody_NYCT...welcome to the world of hyperintense posters, where every game, every shot in every game, and every substitution is a referendum on each player, each official and the head coach. People like to pass premature judgment. It's unfortunate. (Those Dr. Pepper college football commercials are so effective because they're so true. I laugh every time I watch them. )
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Jersey77 wrote: 4 months ago
DuneClub wrote: 4 months ago Prov loses a lot. But they are likely to lose even more than that from this roster. There is a good chance Pierre leaves with those upperclassmen.
They are going to need a huge recruiting year just to be respectable. I didn't see any pressure on Rams this year. Next year - another matter entirely. They will have to win. I think the game will be approached with that kind of attitude. In the mean time, let's hit FT at better than 50%.
Agreed, in past years they probably would have been gone but with nil now alot more players sticking around. If I had to guess I think they will be back. Of course grad transfer also may be on the table but I would be surprised if they wanted to play for what would be their fourth coach in four years.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago
reef wrote: 4 months ago I think the jury still out on this squad , I think the best we could do is about 10-6 conf and maybe our floor is about 6-10 with most likely somewhere in the middle

I don't care who writes it, or whether they're right or wrong...but, when you're just skimming through posts and read, "Well, that's literally impossible because..." and you don't already lol, then that's a bummer, you need to lower your bar perhaps :lol:
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Damn, you sure know all about pc players.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 4 months ago
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 4 months ago I am not responding to one of you in particular but sadly to a lot of you. Maybe it's me who has lost my mind. But this is what I see. We are only 8 games into a season with basically a completely new roster. Last season was one of the worst teams we have ever had. This years team is far better. We have a lot of talent and potential, comprised of a bunch of freshman and sophomores, and no seniors. This team moves the ball around better than I saw over the past 5 years. They look like a team. These guys play hard. NODOBY in their right mind was picking this team to make the NCAAs (or NIT), or finish towards the top of the A10. This was always a building year to get us back in the mix and to hopefully take that big next step NEXT YEAR. We are only 8 games in, and people are crapping on some of our players? This is crazy. I see so many good things happening on the court and I am very happy with where we are right now. Of course I'm disappointed that we didn't beat PC or win a game at Mohegan, buts that's just the reality of where the team is right now. I expect us to be very competitive in the A10 and finish .500 and if that happens I hope you realize that would be a huge success. Hopefully we can do even better and make a run in the A10 tourney, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. This is a process and again we are only 8 GAMES INTO THE SEASON! Let these players develop. Let's see what happens. If we stink again this year, feel free to dump on whoever you would like, at a much later date (if that's what you choose to do). We are clearly moving in the right direction. GR!
Well said. I don't know how good we are yet, but I do know we're a competent team this year, which has been a pleasant change from the last three seasons
Rhody_NYCT...welcome to the world of hyperintense posters, where every game, every shot in every game, and every substitution is a referendum on each player, each official and the head coach. People like to pass premature judgment. It's unfortunate. (Those Dr. Pepper college football commercials are so effective because they're so true. I laugh every time I watch them. )
Are they “effective” in the sense that you spend your own presumably hard-earned and nevertheless real American Dollars on that shit and then willingly ingest it into your body as a result of seeing the commercials? Or, like, another kind of effective?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

TruePoint wrote: 4 months ago

Are they “effective” in the sense that you spend your own presumably hard-earned and nevertheless real American Dollars on that shit and then willingly ingest it into your body? Or, like, another kind of effective?
I'm going with "another kind of effective" because I would not not drink that shtuff if you paid me, but, I do find the commercials highly entertaining. You know...for commercials...because TV is gonna commercial...might as well attempt to be amusing (and I give those guys credit for effort) whether one gives a ratsy about the product or not.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

eli#10 wrote: 4 months ago Can't wait to see the improvement in this team when Bilau is playing 28 minutes compared to the 14 he played last night. He is truly an offensive threat when he gets the ball down low and a better defensive player than Brown and Foumena.

Finally, leave Fuchs alone and wait and see what he has done when the season is over.

well said!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

woodennickel1 wrote: 4 months ago
Agreed, in past years they probably would have been gone but with nil now alot more players sticking around. If I had to guess I think they will be back. Of course grad transfer also may be on the table but I would be surprised if they wanted to play for what would be their fourth coach in four years.
If I were a betting man I’d bet Carter goes (and gets drafted) bc of his 3 and D potential. Hopkins 50/50.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Are they “effective” in the sense that you spend your own presumably hard-earned and nevertheless real American Dollars on that shit and then willingly ingest it into your body as a result of seeing the commercials? Or, like, another kind of effective?
Just because you don't like something doesn't make it law. I like Dr Pepper. I'll drink as much as I want. I like beer and chew tobacco as well, so lay off. I eat beef like no tomorrow, my car guzzles gasoline with a 280hp turbocharged engine and I think wind turbines suck.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago

I don't care who writes it, or whether they're right or wrong...but, when you're just skimming through posts and read, "Well, that's literally impossible because..." and you don't already lol, then that's a bummer, you need to lower you bar perhaps :lol:
Yeah my math way off let me to revise 11-7 I feel is our ceiling with 7-11 the floor

Yup I assumed those guys were seniors so would guess 1 or 2 return of Hopkins and Carter
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago

Damn, you sure know all about pc players.

Yea man, it’s almost liked we played them 24 hours ago and the box score has players’ stats along with what year they’re in.
0 x
Go Rhody
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Are they “effective” in the sense that you spend your own presumably hard-earned and nevertheless real American Dollars on that shit and then willingly ingest it into your body? Or, like, another kind of effective?
I'm going with "another kind of effective" because I would not not drink that shtuff if you paid me, but, I do find the commercials highly entertaining. You know...for commercials...because TV is gonna commercial...might as well attempt to be amusing (and I give those guys credit for effort) whether one gives a ratsy about the product or not.
I’m with you. I am generally insulted by advertising as a concept and am especially insulted by earnest advertising. If advertising is going to exist, it should at least be as funny as possible. And the Dr Pepper ads are indeed funny.
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Just because you don't like something doesn't make it law. I like Dr Pepper. I'll drink as much as I want. I like beer and chew tobacco as well, so lay off. I eat beef like no tomorrow, my car guzzles gasoline with a 280hp turbocharged engine and I think wind turbines suck.
We’ve all got our vices, and ours aren’t that different. I just don’t care for soda. The joke was dependent on my personal perspective; there is not any actual judgment on my part about whether you, or PMMM or anyone else likes soda. Relax.
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

The shark has been jumped

Thx Friartown
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

dave11to28 wrote: 4 months ago Nope. Its pathetic actually. They usually do but they have a new person running events and she is a miserable person. I sent like 10 emails to her and this is all I got back.

On Oct 23, 2023, at 4:53 PM, Michele Nota <mnota@uri.edu> wrote:

Hi David, our office is not planning a pre-game Providence location. If you would like to host a pre-game meet up with friends, I’d be happy to send you a box of URI decorations. Best, Michele
She was at the watch party in Jupiter, Fla.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

This is an absolute all time, HOF worthy bizarre post on this board.

Good god man.

Congrats on drinking soda, alcohol, eating beef, chewing tobacco, and your turbocharged engine.
3 x
Go Rhody
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I am pro-beef
4 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

hubba hubba
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Nothing is more impressive than the chewing tobacco Blueram brings to the games. I've seen it and I love it! I don't chew as much as I did in college, but every now and then, it really does hit the spot. I don't drink or smoke or anything so coffee and tobacco every now and then is the best I got.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Anyone else noticed our Keaney uniforms didn't match the "keaney" shirts the coaches were wearing?

Obviously not a big deal, but it's pretty dumb when we can't get our colors right.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

anyone notice that shit play by play guy calling Zek Montgomery by Luis Kortright all game.
after he did once I was like ok just a mistake, then he did it the rest of the game. Cmon man read a roster card or something.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 months ago anyone notice that shit play by play guy calling Zek Montgomery by Luis Kortright all game.
after he did once I was like ok just a mistake, then he did it the rest of the game. Cmon man read a roster card or something.
I think this is why I don't care so much about students broadcasting on ESPN+ games as other people do. Most professional broadcasters on regular TV kind of suck too
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 4 months ago I am pro-beef
I have no beef with this statement...
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
steviep123
Sly Williams

I was able to watch the game after all (on delay - I started watching from the beginning at halftime). In all honesty, they played better than I expected and I expected a blowout. After all these years, I think we should always expect the unexpected. A lot of promise was shown. The game was closer than the final score with pvd pulling away late. When Zek hit that 3 to make it 54-50, but pvd responded with a 3 of their own, it never got closer after that. That (in retrospect) was the early back breaker and we were worn down after that. I do think they are learning and will be better in the future. Unlike Mohegan, they were in this game until pvd pulled away late. Okay...onto Brown. As usual for this time of year, I'm done caring about pvd until next December.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
theblueram
Frank Keaney

[*]

Good god man.

Congrats on drinking soda, alcohol, eating beef, chewing tobacco, and your turbocharged engine.
At least I didn't shit on another poster or make some pro pc statement. Or shit on a player better yet (Harris). You do you man, and quit reading my posts. The world will be better for it.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 months ago Nothing is more impressive than the chewing tobacco Blueram brings to the games. I've seen it and I love it! I don't chew as much as I did in college, but every now and then, it really does hit the spot. I don't drink or smoke or anything so coffee and tobacco every now and then is the best I got.
Army habit. I used to smoke Marlboros, but basic training and five mile runs told me I couldn't smoke anymore. My southern buddies turned me on to it. It's a vice I enjoy.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 months ago Nothing is more impressive than the chewing tobacco Blueram brings to the games. I've seen it and I love it! I don't chew as much as I did in college, but every now and then, it really does hit the spot. I don't drink or smoke or anything so coffee and tobacco every now and then is the best I got.
Army habit. I used to smoke Marlboros, but basic training and five mile runs told me I couldn't smoke anymore. My southern buddies turned me on to it. It's a vice I enjoy.
Tobacco and Dr Pepper no thanks. Beer and Beef absolutely!
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

UCH21377 wrote: 4 months ago
Tobacco and Dr Pepper no thanks. Beer and Beef absolutely!
I tried smokin a pipe recently. Underrated and might be better than cigars!
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

bigappleram wrote: 4 months ago anyone notice that shit play by play guy calling Zek Montgomery by Luis Kortright all game.
I think this is why I don't care so much about students broadcasting on ESPN+ games as other people do. Most professional broadcasters on regular TV kind of suck too
That’s surprising cuz it was Dave Sims longtime play by play guy he was doing Atlantic 10 games in the 90s , I think he called the Lamar Odom shot
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 4 months ago
That’s surprising cuz it was Dave Sims longtime play by play guy he was doing Atlantic 10 games in the 90s , I think he called the Lamar Odom shot
I thought for sure it was Jay Bilas that called Odom's game winner.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

steviep123 wrote: 4 months ago

I just watched the end of the game on YouTube. Great call with a young Jay Bilas doing the game with Dave Sims (Seattle Mariners broadcaster). Sims was actually the one who made the live call on the play..."jumper, 30 feet away, in the air...he's got it! Lamar Odom has won it for Rhode Island!" Awesome. Reef, impressive with the Sims call.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Ruckusboy wrote: 4 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago
Ruckusboy wrote: 4 months ago All I have to say about this game is that our 150-350 students are 10x louder than the 2500 PC students. And we would never leave a big game like that with 5 minutes left in that game.
Can you talk to your friends and get them to go to games? That 150-350 would be a lot better if it were 1200-1500 and would affect games in such a positive way. We need you guys.
They only give us 1,000 student tickets I think but trust me I try and I get that crowd rumbling
It's either 1500 or 2000. Anyway, do you guys like Santa Claus?

2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Ruckusboy wrote: 4 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago
Ruckusboy wrote: 4 months ago All I have to say about this game is that our 150-350 students are 10x louder than the 2500 PC students. And we would never leave a big game like that with 5 minutes left in that game.
Can you talk to your friends and get them to go to games? That 150-350 would be a lot better if it were 1200-1500 and would affect games in such a positive way. We need you guys.
They only give us 1,000 student tickets I think but trust me I try and I get that crowd rumbling
My understanding was allotment was supposed to be 1500. Did they take away 500 tickets along with moving students from the sideline to the end zone?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 4 months ago
steviep123 wrote: 4 months ago

I just watched the end of the game on YouTube. Great call with a young Jay Bilas doing the game with Dave Sims (Seattle Mariners broadcaster). Sims was actually the one who made the live call on the play..."jumper, 30 feet away, in the air...he's got it! Lamar Odom has won it for Rhode Island!" Awesome. Reef, impressive with the Sims call.
Thanks I was always good @ sports trivia and Stevie impressive remembering Jay Bilas
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rewatched the game this afternoon.

Makes me feel even better about us moving forward.

One thing I was thinking about is that the gap between us and PC really isn't that wide right now. Our size and athleticism is already level with them, we just arent quite there from a developmental and team cohesion POV. I think we look like a P6 team physically and athletically.

Just keep cleaning stuff up, keep inserting Bilau into the lineup and getting guys comfortable in their roles and let's see what happens!
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Free Rhody Santa hat!?

I'd go for that alone, nevermind a few free Dunkin coffees to boot. C'mon students.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 months ago Rewatched the game this afternoon.

Makes me feel even better about us moving forward.

One thing I was thinking about is that the gap between us and PC really isn't that wide right now. Our size and athleticism is already level with them, we just arent quite there from a developmental and team cohesion POV. I think we look like a P6 team physically and athletically.

Just keep cleaning stuff up, keep inserting Bilau into the lineup and getting guys comfortable in their roles and let's see what happens!
After the game I was also feeling a little more optimistic, especially after our win against Yale.

I agree PRT, size wise and athletically we do match-up, however talent-wise we aren't quite there yet.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We seemed to match them in every aspect through the first half at least. That was encouraging, but talent usually is the lasting factor to the buzzer.
1 x
GO RAMS
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

PC is good right now. Hopkins and Carter sway things in their favor versus us for the time being.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 4 months ago PC is good right now. Hopkins and Carter sway things in their favor versus us for the time being.
Well Oklahoma spanked them

Unfortunate for the PC fans that thought they were top 15
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Dr. Pepper is gross...never drank it and never drink it. Agree about "effective." By effective, I mean when it comes on, I don't change the channel to avoid the commercial like I do with a lot of commercials out there. Apparently, it must be effective for my son...who likes Dr. Pepper. If it's on a menu when we eat out, he orders it. It has never been kept in the house.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Good god man.

Rhody15...your reply made me laugh out loud. Thanks.
1 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 months ago
woodennickel1 wrote: 4 months ago

If I were a betting man I’d bet Carter goes (and gets drafted) bc of his 3 and D potential. Hopkins 50/50.
Yeah I think you may be right about Carter. Would be surprised to not see him on an NBA bench next year.
0 x