NET Rankings

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: NET Rankings

Unread post by ramster »

IMG_1292.jpeg

14th place
Dec 3. 2023
Last edited by ramster 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

ramster wrote: 4 months ago
IMG_1292.jpeg

14th place
Dec 3. 2033
How do they know what our NET is going to be, 10 years from now? That's wild.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 4 months ago
ramster wrote: 4 months ago IMG_1292.jpeg

14th place
Dec 3. 2023
How do they know what our NET is going to be, 10 years from now? That's wild.
Fixed it. Thanks for the notification
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Again, this is a starting point and a fairly meaningless number because it will be so volatile game to game.

Couple of context points:

We have losses to #28 (Q1), #48 (Q1), and #61 (Q1). So we have lost to 3 teams better than us, that I think everyone expected to be better than us. We also beat someone the NET is saying is significantly better than us at the moment. Zero Q1 wins, zero bad losses. I think every prediction contest had some semblance of this happening.

I'm not sure how you can say that we're in 14th place when we haven't played a single conference game, and as far as I know, the battleaxe hasn't decreed a change in conference policy in making the standings due to NET and not games played. So we are tied for 1st place, along with everyone else.

Speaking of everyone else...

Most of the conference has a bad loss on their resume. And if you really want to point out how off the NET is right now, look at VCU:
vcu.jpg
Make it make sense. A team that has played less Q1 games than us, and has a Q3 and Q4 loss - is somehow 54 spots ahead?

We're 0-3 Q1 and we've taken care of the 4 other games by the spread.

The NET isn't a pulse check on how we're doing. It doesn't mean anything until late January at the earliest.

I'm just getting these "sky is falling" vibes and we have done exactly what we're supposed to have done to this point. Much more than you can say for any team since 2019.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

UMass is my favorite example of WTF is the NET on... They have beaten NOBODY with a net below 200, but they are in the top 100?????

This is the reason we had to blow out those first 3 opponents and winning by 10 instead of 30 mattered
4 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

How is UMass 94??? They've beaten Albany, Quinnipiac, Central Conn State, and South Florida... and lost to Harvard, all at home.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody's schedule to date is pretty much either feast or famine in SOS with no in between. URI has played THREE Quad 1 games, 1 Quad 3 game, and three Quad 4 games. Only about 30 other teams nationally have played that many or more Quad 1 games. No other A-10 team has played as many and several have none (Richmond, GMU, UMass, Fordham, SLU).
2 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 months ago How is UMass 94??? They've beaten Albany, Quinnipiac, Central Conn State, and South Florida and lost to Harvard, all at home.
They blew them out. Point differential is capped but efficiency is not
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

RF1 wrote: 4 months ago Rhody's schedule to date is pretty much either feast or famine in SOS with no in between. URI has played THREE Quad 1 games, 1 Quad 3 game, and three Quad 4 games. Only about 30 other teams nationally have played that many or more Quad 1 games. No other A-10 team has played as many and several have none (Richmond, GMU, UMass, Fordham, SLU).
Warren Nolan has our SOS at 79. UMass 102.
Last edited by KevanBoyles 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I guess I don’t understand why people care about our NET this year.

NET only matters when we’re in the conversation for an at large bid.

Besides that, it’s meaningless.
0 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

This team is a good team. We know what their limitations are.

Thus far, they are capable of playing one great half of basketball against these better teams. You almost have to pick which half you think would be better for them to do that. For Providence, it was the first half. I like that, because going down to them early would have been demoralizing for the entire game. At least if they petered out at the end, they came ready to play from the onset, I think I like that better going forward.

And, if that is the case, then it stands to reason, that the players as a group are not yet capable of doing that for 40 mins for a very specific reason. Either they don't have enough conditioning and stamina, or they are still learning the system, or it becomes a true tale of two halves, where what specifically happens during each half, dictates whether or not they can perform at a high level for the entire half.

But either way, with such a team, that has so many players that have only been together since the late summer, they are eventually going to solve that puzzle, and then they are going to improve. And it will happen, because we have a nice collection of talent right now, so far beyond what we had last year at this point.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago I guess I don’t understand why people care about our NET this year.

I think it's interesting just to see how you stack up, but nobody should really be too concerned with it both because we're not an at large candidate and because it's really, really early
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 months ago
RF1 wrote: 4 months ago Rhody's schedule to date is pretty much either feast or famine in SOS with no in between. URI has played THREE Quad 1 games, 1 Quad 3 game, and three Quad 4 games. Only about 30 other teams nationally have played that many or more Quad 1 games. No other A-10 team has played as many and several have none (Richmond, GMU, UMass, Fordham, SLU).
Kenpom has ours at 174 and UMASS as 353.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

KevanBoyles wrote: 4 months ago
There are roughly 360 teams playing D-I basketball, so that's less than a 10 percent difference - roughly 6.3 percent. Also, that's assuming that their SOS formula uses ranks, instead of just calculating a number.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

What’s Johnson & Wales’ NET?
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago I guess I don’t understand why people care about our NET this year.

Because it gives everyone something to freak out about!
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 4 months ago What’s Johnson & Wales’ NET?
They don't have one. It's for D1 schools only, and only games against D1 schools count for the NET ranking. That's why even though we're 5-3 when you look at the NET ranking site it says we're only 4-3
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago
They don't have one. It's for D1 schools only, and only games against D1 schools count for the NET ranking. That's why even though we're 5-3 when you look at the NET ranking site it says we're only 4-3
Oh, so it was stupid to schedule them and act like it was a real game? I get it. Can I have my money back?
1 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Difference for A10 this year they have seven teams in top 100 where as I think last year they had two. Creates plenty of opportunity to move up.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

woodennickel1 wrote: 4 months ago Difference for A10 this year they have seven teams in top 100 where as I think last year they had two. Creates plenty of opportunity to move up.
Yup. I'm still not bullish on the A-10's ceiling but their floor is certainly WAY higher than last year.
3 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

All (or at least most) of the inconsistencies people are noting about the NET will be smoothed out over the course of the next 3-4 months. It mostly comes out in the wash. Interesting thing to look at, I guess, but no real value to it at this point. Most of the season is ahead of us, and for us certainly the most meaningful part of it.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 months ago
woodennickel1 wrote: 4 months ago Difference for A10 this year they have seven teams in top 100 where as I think last year they had two. Creates plenty of opportunity to move up.
Yup. I'm still not bullish on the A-10's ceiling but their floor is certainly WAY higher than last year.
I think that's fair - the A10 has no "unbeatable" teams, but it doesn't look like we're going to have any abjectly embarrassing 250+ teams either.

Not the best recipe for multiple NCAA bids, as everyone is going to kill each other in conference play, but definitely a door open for ANYONE (like URI) to win the conference.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Blue Man wrote: 4 months ago
I think that's fair - the A10 has no "unbeatable" teams, but it doesn't look like we're going to have any abjectly embarrassing 250+ teams either.

Not the best recipe for multiple NCAA bids, as everyone is going to kill each other in conference play, but definitely a door open for ANYONE (like URI) to win the conference.
It's the absolute worst composition for a multi bid scenario. An entire league jammed between 50-200... purgatory.

In a league with that much parity coaching should play a major role. I like our chances there.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Not Even There?
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bigappleram wrote: 4 months ago

It's the absolute worst composition for a multi bid scenario. An entire league jammed between 50-200... purgatory.

In a league with that much parity coaching should play a major role. I like our chances there.
It'll be interesting to see how things shake out between seasons, especially with waivers being much more difficult for 2-two transfers to obtain. After a few years in the wilderness, so to speak, the A-10 might be positioned well to snag a couple of bids.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 months ago

It'll be interesting to see how things shake out between seasons, especially with waivers being much more difficult for 2-two transfers to obtain. After a few years in the wilderness, so to speak, the A-10 might be positioned well to snag a couple of bids.
Possibly, but they have to finish their OOC schedule strong.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I believe Archie and staff see it and are preparing this team to take advantage of it. We need to stay healthy, though.

Key Kevin Garnett’s “Anything’s Possible” video.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

So far, the A10 is the only mid-major conference that doesn't have a team with a losing OOC record.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Jersey77 wrote: 4 months ago

So far, the A10 is the only mid-major conference that doesn't have a team with a losing OOC record.
Actually, there are only 3 conferences with teams that don't have a losing record. B10, SEC and the A10.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Here's a breakdown of our remaining schedule based on the current net rankings.

Quad 1 games- 2
Quad 2 games - 7
Quad 3 games- 9
Quad 4 games - 5

Q4 Brown
Q2 Col. of Charleston
Q2 Delaware
Q3 New Hampshire
Q4 Northeastern
Q3 Saint Joseph's
Q2 Davidson
Q3 Massachusetts
Q2 St. Bonaventure
Q1 Dayton
Q4 Fordham
Q1 George Mason
Q4 La Salle
Q3 Duquesne
Q2 George Washington
Q2 Massachusetts
Q3 Loyola Chicago
Q3 Richmond
Q3 La Salle
Q3 VCU
Q4 Saint Louis
Q2 George Mason
Q3 Fordham
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

0 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 months ago Here's a breakdown of our remaining schedule based on the current net rankings.

Quad 1 games- 2
Quad 2 games - 7
Quad 3 games- 9
Quad 4 games - 5

Q4 Brown
Q2 Col. of Charleston
Q2 Delaware
Q3 New Hampshire
Q4 Northeastern
Q3 Saint Joseph's
Q2 Davidson
Q3 Massachusetts
Q2 St. Bonaventure
Q1 Dayton
Q4 Fordham
Q1 George Mason
Q4 La Salle
Q3 Duquesne
Q2 George Washington
Q2 Massachusetts
Q3 Loyola Chicago
Q3 Richmond
Q3 La Salle
Q3 VCU
Q4 Saint Louis
Q2 George Mason
Q3 Fordham

Why is Fordham a Q4 the first time we play them, but then a Q3 the second time we play them?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Same thing with George Mason. First time, they are a Q1 and then the second time a Q2.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 months ago Here's a breakdown of our remaining schedule based on the current net rankings.

Quad 1 games- 2
Quad 2 games - 7
Quad 3 games- 9
Quad 4 games - 5

Q4 Brown
Q2 Col. of Charleston
Q2 Delaware
Q3 New Hampshire
Q4 Northeastern
Q3 Saint Joseph's
Q2 Davidson
Q3 Massachusetts
Q2 St. Bonaventure
Q1 Dayton
Q4 Fordham
Q1 George Mason
Q4 La Salle
Q3 Duquesne
Q2 George Washington
Q2 Massachusetts
Q3 Loyola Chicago
Q3 Richmond
Q3 La Salle
Q3 VCU
Q4 Saint Louis
Q2 George Mason
Q3 Fordham

Why is Fordham a Q4 the first time we play them, but then a Q3 the second time we play them?
Home and away games.

There are different NET cut off points to determine quadrants playing again teams home/neutral/away.
2 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago
Home and away games.

There are different NET cut off points to determine quadrants playing again teams home/neutral/away.
I see. Thanks.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Home and away games.

I see. Thanks.
Here is the grid for:
QUAD 1,2,3,4
Home Neutral Away
NET Range for each QUAD
IMG_1300.png
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

ramster wrote: 4 months ago
Home and away games.

I see. Thanks.
Here is the grid for:
QUAD 1,2,3,4
Home Neutral Away
NET Range for each QUAD

IMG_1300.png
Nice. Thanks for this.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Somehow Fordham is ahead of us with an easier schedule, worse wins and worse losses.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 months ago Somehow Fordham is ahead of us with an easier schedule, worse wins and worse losses.
PRT, if you ever figure out the NET formula, let the rest of us know.
We all understand the basics of what they supposedly use, but still?
Last edited by Jersey77 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago On the eve of the NET being released, I'm going to look at our NET vs Penn State. They should be very similar based on record. Let's hope so. I don't trust the NET.
They are very similar.

170 for them, 192 for us.

So I take it you trust the NET now?
Actually 15 I'm ok with it based on these two teams. Penn St ended last year at #41 and URI ended at #262. They both have similar records. But there are some glaring issues I'm not going into yet.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The JWU game is a killer. Counted less for us then the ACC championship did for FSU.
1 x
GO RAMS
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Dayton will be on the bubble for an at large as long as they don’t pee down their leg during the remaining OOC schedule or have an overtly bad A10 performance
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 4 months ago Dayton will be on the bubble for an at large as long as they don’t pee down their leg during the remaining OOC schedule or have an overtly bad A10 performance
Much depends on how well freshman Javon Bennett and junior Kobe Elvis take up the slack for the loss of Malachi.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Just for giggles, URI has an RPI of 105.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

KingstonLane wrote: 4 months ago Dayton will be on the bubble for an at large as long as they don’t pee down their leg during the remaining OOC schedule or have an overtly bad A10 performance
Much depends on how well freshman Javon Bennett and junior Kobe Elvis take up the slack for the loss of Malachi.
I think they’re already proved they’re competent enough to play well enough for an at large. One big OOC game left vs Cincy that would essentially lock them in if they won

But also a bunch of land mines in their remaining OOC. That was their fatal flaw some of the last few years
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

RPI is the goat.
0 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 4 months ago
I think they’re already proved they’re competent enough to play well enough for an at large. One big OOC game left vs Cincy that would essentially lock them in if they won

But also a bunch of land mines in their remaining OOC. That was their fatal flaw some of the last few years
I also feel they will get plenty of tough challenges in conference play.
I don't think any team is going to walk through the A10 schedule.
Unfortunately, that probably won't bode well for an at-large.
Understanding the NCAA, I doubt they will be kind to us.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Agreed with that much parity league will beat up on each other, road wins will be tough to come by.

To me to game the system a mid major that wants to build a resume could try to schedule a 2-3 road games with teams projected 60-100…win 1-2 of those and hope they end up as Quad 1. We have PC but most mid majors aren’t getting a Top 30 to play in their gym. There is always a cap on how many quad 1 you can pick up in league.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I thought Dayton would look worse without Smith, but they look the same. They are a very good team. Javon Bennet and Kobe have both had some great games. Brea and Santos are studs... Malachi is not a good scorer but he's a very strong distributor, but they are getting that collectively from other guys. They should win the A10.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 months ago

I thought Dayton would look worse without Smith, but they look the same. They are a very good team. Javon Bennet and Kobe have both had some great games. Brea and Santos are studs... Malachi is not a good scorer but he's a very strong distributor, but they are getting that collectively from other guys. They should win the A10.
Transfer (F)Santos has been huge for them, he is much better than I thought.
I agree that Dayton should still be the favorite, with several teams not far behind.
0 x