Just FBS D1 football

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Just FBS D1 football

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

GOOOO FREEKING RUTGERS!!! Holy crap, as soon as I typed that...OSU runs back a fumble for TD...what the bleep....

ETA:
..lessee if I can put the whammy on Clemson now. ETA: check
...UConn needs a mercy rule...down by 46, not 5 mins in to the second half

And how can you not love the absolutely no-doubt New Englander accent on that ref for the FSU/Pitt game?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Boston College goes to 6-3, tied for 4th in ACC winning 5th straight game. Beat Syracuse 17-10 at Syracuse
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

LOL Michigan..fixed it for 'im
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... augh-field

(Michigan President) Ono also expressed his displeasure with what he deems to have been a rushed process by the Big Ten.

"Like all members of the Big Ten Conference, we are entitled to a fair, deliberate, and thoughtful process to determine the full set of facts before a judgment is rendered," Ono said in the statement. "Today's action by Commissioner Tony Petitti disregards the Conference's own handbook could hinder the performance of the football team, violates basic tenets of due process for which a lot of folks are putting up a lotta cashola and sets an untenable precedent of assessing penalties before an investigation has been completed eating your own, killing the golden goose, biting the hand that feeds, etc. We are dismayed at the Commissioner's rush to judgment when there is an ongoing NCAA investigation -- one in which we are fully cooperating knowing full well that if just left to their own devices, the NCAA will drag this out until after well after the season, giving us an excellent shot at a natty."
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

12 noon today Michigan at Penn State
No Jim H on the sidelines
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 5 months ago 12 noon today Michigan at Penn State
Sheesh, such a travesty. Oh well. Take him to succeed Belichick?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

First of two out of 3 rivalry games for the 'noles. Miami this week and @the hated gators in two weeks.
Been a fun team to watch this year, still more winning to do. Lots of Sunday guys out there probably and a lotta guys making good jakk that will never play on Sunday.

Out of curiosity, I tried to look up FSU QB Jordan Travis' "salary" and it brought up former FSU players, currently in the NFL. It brought up 22 players...with "Earnings" of $498,573,863....a freeking half billion dollars. Crazy. Anyhoo, back to the Travis quest, the next thing I came to was a Top 10 list. He wasn't on it... eventually found: "Jordan Travis nil deal worth a staggering $1.2 million." (Sportskeeda) "Staggering", but not in the top 10.

Crazy money, good for those guys all (how Reggie Bush doesn't just go totally mad is quite the feat). I didn't look, but FSU football probably had a larger salary total than the Oakland A's
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Besides the Michigan at Penn State game I like

#21 Arizona at Colorado (for obvious reasons) 2pm
#18 Utah at #5 Washington 3:30pm
#9 Mississippi (8-1) at #2 Georgia (9-0) 7pm Huge implications for SEC Championship Game 7pm
Miami (6-3) at #4 Florida State (9-0) 3:30pm
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 months ago
It's official Pete Thamel reporting court will not rule today so Jim H will not be on the sidelines - unless he disguises himself??
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 5 months ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 months ago
It's official Pete Thamel reporting court will not rule today so Jim H will not be on the sidelines - unless he disguises himself??
it would be cool if they gave out Harbaugh head placards to all the fans.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

So I’m thinking Washington Michigan Florida State all make it and the last spot will be between Alabama , Texas and Georgia
Thoughts ??
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

reef wrote: 4 months ago So I’m thinking Washington Michigan Florida State all make it and the last spot will be between Alabama , Texas and Georgia
Thoughts ??
I have a feeling undefeated Florida St gets left out because of their QB situation and both Texas and Alabama get in as the 3 and 4 seeds respectively. This is as much a tv production as a championship playoff and the committee might fear a semifinal blowout.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

It should be the 3 undefeated teams plus Texas but I doubt that will happen.
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

As a viewer I have no interest in seeing FSU in the playoffs. Whoever draws them is essentially getting a bye to the Championship.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

This year is the perfect example of why an expanded playoff is required. Yes Alabama Georgia and OSU are probably all better than FSU right now. But they all lost. FSU didn’t. They won their major conference plus beat LSU and Florida. I understand the quarterback thing but the team won all their games. The other teams didn’t.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

And no way Alabama should get in ahead of Texas. They played, Texas won, doesn’t matter when the game was played
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

JimSidd wrote: 4 months ago
reef wrote: 4 months ago So I’m thinking Washington Michigan Florida State all make it and the last spot will be between Alabama , Texas and Georgia
Thoughts ??
I have a feeling undefeated Florida St gets left out because of their QB situation and both Texas and Alabama get in as the 3 and 4 seeds respectively. This is as much a tv production as a championship playoff and the committee might fear a semifinal blowout.
Agree. Sad about it, but, agree.
Just imagine the outrage if the SEC champ was left out...
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

UCH21377 wrote: 4 months ago This year is the perfect example of why an expanded playoff is required. Yes Alabama Georgia and OSU are probably all better than FSU right now. But they all lost. FSU didn’t. They won their major conference plus beat LSU and Florida. I understand the quarterback thing but the team won all their games. The other teams didn’t.
Really 8 is the perfect number but we're skipping right from 4 to 12.

Going forward it should be the champions of the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, and SEC, the best team outside of the big 4 conferences, then the top 3 teams that didn't already qualify for one of the previous five spots
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago
UCH21377 wrote: 4 months ago This year is the perfect example of why an expanded playoff is required. Yes Alabama Georgia and OSU are probably all better than FSU right now. But they all lost. FSU didn’t. They won their major conference plus beat LSU and Florida. I understand the quarterback thing but the team won all their games. The other teams didn’t.
Really 8 is the perfect number but we're skipping right from 4 to 12.

Going forward it should be the champions of the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, and SEC, the best team outside of the big 4 conferences, then the top 3 teams that didn't already qualify for one of the previous five spots
I can't think of anything I'd rather see than have the SEC champ not in it...
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

It is kind of amusing that they get the "perfect" field for an eight-team playoff the year before it is implemented. They had been flirting with this kind of nightmare scenario in the past, but it didn't hit them until now.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

More FSU dudes declaring for the draft and not participating in that big fat Orange bowl "showdown":
Running back Trey Benson:
- will enter the NFL draft and will not play in the Capital One Orange Bowl for the Seminoles, he announced Sunday.
- Benson, who rushed for 905 yards and 14 touchdowns this season while averaging 5.8 yards per carry, is the No. 2-rated running back by ESPN NFL draft insider Mel Kiper Jr.

-Joihnny Wilson: One of Florida State’s top receivers, Johnny Wilson, declared for the NFL draft last week and opted out of the bowl game. Wilson had back-to-back 40-catch seasons at Florida State and will participate in the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama.

...and Senior defensive tackle Fabien Lovett, the Seminoles' top reserve at the position

At first I was thinking, if they made the playoffs, those guys would be playing, but then when the coffee finally sunk in, I thought, "why would they?"
Even if they were playing for a national championship...without majorly bumped insurances policies...would these guys even be playing then? I understand about pride of school, but for some of these guys, it's generational life-changing dough.

Don't get me wrong, I think full-strength FSU v full-strength GA could be fun to watch, but that's not happening. Between these two teams, there's probably a half dozen guys sitting that will be making millions next year, if they can avoid a major injury til April. Can't blame them for not playing under this setup, but, how do you get them to play? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I understand the first thought about wanting all of these guys to play, but in a lot of ways isn't it better for the team if they don't? Like now you can see what their backups can do in a live game situation so you can see what you have for the next season
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago I understand the first thought about wanting all of these guys to play, but in a lot of ways isn't it better for the team if they don't? Like now you can see what their backups can do in a live game situation so you can see what you have for the next season
In a way, but what about a team that has a chance at a natty...I don't think it's long before the stars of those teams start bagging out as well...
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

In a way we're already seeing that, Texas' backup QB Maalik Murphy entered the portal. They said for some reason they couldn't wait until Texas' season ended to enter the portal. That I don't like, if you're a playoff team you shouldn't have to worry about this. If someone decides to skip the Wasabi Fenway Bowl or whatever, fine, but the playoffs should be different
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago In a way we're already seeing that, Texas' backup QB Maalik Murphy entered the portal. They said for some reason they couldn't wait until Texas' season ended to enter the portal. That I don't like, if you're a playoff team you shouldn't have to worry about this. If someone decides to skip the Wasabi Fenway Bowl or whatever, fine, but the playoffs should be different
but what can they do? Can't 'make them' play. Even if you are a playoff team, if I'm a kid with generational wealth resting on my health, I'm probably not playing. I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing these high draft pick guys start to sit out after 8 or 9 reg season games at some point
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I don't think it will ever get that bad. It's one thing to not play in a meaningless bowl, but I think NFL teams would really start to look down on players who decided to sit out meaningful games. Between that and NIL money that's a good start on getting players to keep playing
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago In a way we're already seeing that, Texas' backup QB Maalik Murphy entered the portal. They said for some reason they couldn't wait until Texas' season ended to enter the portal. That I don't like, if you're a playoff team you shouldn't have to worry about this. If someone decides to skip the Wasabi Fenway Bowl or whatever, fine, but the playoffs should be different
I was shocked he did that, since he's #2 or #3 on the depth chart and Texas legitimately has a chance to win a national championship. Given his pedigree as a recruit, I don't really buy the explanation that he needed this time to explore his options. Some team will want to give him a clear shot as the #1 guy, but probably less now that he bounced on a team that's playing for a national title.
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 months ago
I was shocked he did that, since he's #2 or #3 on the depth chart and Texas legitimately has a chance to win a national championship. Given his pedigree as a recruit, I don't really buy the explanation that he needed this time to explore his options. Some team will want to give him a clear shot as the #1 guy, but probably less now that he bounced on a team that's playing for a national title.
The portal closes for football on January 2. He could suit up for the semifinal game, but likely felt it would look worse if they win that game and he bails before the championship game.
I understand not wanting to keep the portal open forever, but January 2 is dumb. They should change it to the day after the championship game.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The portal closes for football on January 2. He could suit up for the semifinal game, but likely felt it would look worse if they win that game and he bails before the championship game.
I understand not wanting to keep the portal open forever, but January 2 is dumb. They should change it to the day after the championship game.
That would be cool...it could be like two days of round the clock college fooball portalpalooza coverage! I'm still waiting to hear about trades...although, you have to think there's situations where someone's 'advisor' knows a guy...who knows a coach that knows about a guy...who when he moves, that'll be a good slot for you...
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago

That would be cool...it could be like two days of round the clock college fooball portalpalooza coverage! I'm still waiting to hear about trades...although, you have to think there's situations where someone's 'advisor' knows a guy...who knows a coach that knows about a guy...who when he moves, that'll be a good slot for you...
You know what, college sports needs to lean hard into this and go nuts!

"Hey, Georgia Tech? Yeah, this is Thorr Bjorn, URI athletic director. I heard you want Syeed Gibbs. We'll trade you Gibbs and an athlete to be named later for a home basketball game at the Ryan Center. The player to be named later will be based on your NET ranking the year you come to the Ryan Center and our attendance for that game."
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Interesting...the TX backup QB, not playing, because he has to "prepare to transfer". 'bama back QB transferring to Notre Dame...after the playoffs...to "play lacrosse." ;) ;) (insert nudge nudge emoji here) How awesome is that? :lol:

Alabama backup quarterback Tyler Buchner says he will transfer back to Notre Dame to play lacrosse following the Crimson Tide's run in the College Football Playoff.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago

You know what, college sports needs to lean hard into this and go nuts!

"Hey, Georgia Tech? Yeah, this is Thorr Bjorn, URI athletic director. I heard you want Syeed Gibbs. We'll trade you Gibbs and an athlete to be named later for a home basketball game at the Ryan Center. The player to be named later will be based on your NET ranking the year you come to the Ryan Center and our attendance for that game."
interesting, I hadn't even thought of the crossover sports market... you really need to have a GM for each sport and a chief GM of all sports to approve all moves, don't you?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Georgia defeats Florida State 63-3 in the Orange Bowl

Florida State’s 1st loss of the season and it’s a big one
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 months ago Georgia defeats Florida State 63-3 in the Orange Bowl

Florida State’s 1st loss of the season and it’s a big one
And not even this 'noles fan cared. That whole sitch is effed now. I'm guessing FSU and other teams - that have a chance to win it all - because they have so many good players - will be facing the same thing in all bowls and the (insert trumpet sound here) "expanded CFP" going forward. These are all going to be glorified spring games, with a bunch of nohehohs running around the field and running on 3rd and 8 when that team used to be known for chucking it all over...

During the regular college football season, you want to watch the guys that are going play in the NFL, play. Then, well...they finally come up with a playoff about a hundred years too late and now...the guys you want to see play in the playoff...(because they're going to play on Sundays) aren't playing because...well, they're going to play on Sundays. Perfect. I watched almost every FSU game this year and did not care about or watch this bowl game. And not just because it's not a CFP game...even if they WERE in the final four, I can't see any of those FSU players making a different decision, and I wouldn't watch that either.

How do ya fix that? Maybe the "ranking committee" should speculate not just about the impact of injured players that won't be there, but also, players that just plain won't be there because of that money. If you look at that way, injured Travis Jordan or not, this noles team wouldn't have been Top 20, just because of everyone nfl'in...Speculate that across all of the teams and maybe you get some surprise matchups...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

New roadmap for NCAAF teams:

- be good enough to crush all year long
- do it without players capable of playing in the nfl
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

With 8 teams in the Playoffs, and with only really 3 teams with a legitimate shot of winning it all, How many players will not play up to 3 extra games if they might get hurt and ruin their NFL chances? I don't care who wins the playoffs unless it is my team.
I want to see fun football games. I don't care if they got rid of the Playoffs and just kept the bowl games and have the AP decide who if the Champ. I think some years there were even co-champs.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

OBRAM wrote: 3 months ago With 8 teams in the Playoffs, and with only really 3 teams with a legitimate shot of winning it all, How many players will not play up to 3 extra games if they might get hurt and ruin their NFL chances? I don't care who wins the playoffs unless it is my team.
I want to see fun football games. I don't care if they got rid of the Playoffs and just kept the bowl games and have the AP decide who if the Champ. I think some years there were even co-champs.
Actually next year we go from 4 teams to 12 teams in the playoffs.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 3 months ago
OBRAM wrote: 3 months ago With 8 teams in the Playoffs, and with only really 3 teams with a legitimate shot of winning it all, How many players will not play up to 3 extra games if they might get hurt and ruin their NFL chances? I don't care who wins the playoffs unless it is my team.
Actually next year we go from 4 teams to 12 teams in the playoffs.
But if all the good players leave the forest and a tree falls, does it make a sound?
Just my opinion, I think they're screwed...playoffs and bowls. Will eventually, if not already, be a step below spring games.
At least for the spring game, you have all your players, don't you?...how many players are sitting out for portal reasons now that aren't even on a team?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Down goes Saban! Down goes Saban!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Watched it. Was that last play designed? or did Alabama QB run up the middle because of another low, bad snap from center?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Man Penix Jr. can fire it 🏈
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Michigan what a game.
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This NFL Mock Draft had these 2 guys going 2nd round. Both could move up with their Playoff performances.................

39. New York Giants J.J. McCarthy | QB | Michigan

40. Green Bay Packers (from NYJ) Cooper Beebe | OL | Kansas State

41. Washington Commanders (from CHI) Ja'Tavion Sanders | TE | Texas

42. Philadelphia Eagles (from NO) Jeremiah Trotter Jr. | LB | Clemson

43. Green Bay Packers Calen Bullock | S | USC

44. Las Vegas Raiders Michael Penix Jr. | QB | Washington

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/2024- ... commanders
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

2 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

How many games will these top teams play now?
You have the conference Championship and now maybe 3 or more College Playoff games. Maybe 16 games.
These are students, well you know what I mean.

Is the Big10 and SEC taking teams a violation of Antitrust laws?
How can you say these Athletic programs as non-profit and tax-free, it's all about profit.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I want Penix on the Patriots. I'd be shocked if he doesn't go Top 10 after that performance last night. Dude was making NFL throws all night.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Interesting that in 1897 Penn went 15-0 and 1894 Yale went 16-0. I never knew they played that many games back then.
Attachments
D29B8E00-D989-48C4-B52A-495A9EAA0E1B.jpeg
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

OBRAM wrote: 3 months ago Interesting that in 1897 Penn went 15-0 and 1894 Yale went 16-0. I never knew they played that many games back then.
Part of the reason why the NCAA was started by Teddy Roosevelt and others was because of how "wild west" various sports were before 1906. You'd have things like 30-year-old ringers, teams playing drastically different or intense schedules, rules that changed from game to game in various sports... Football in particular was brutal, with guys dying somewhat regularly and games featuring punching and kicking, which a good Deadspin article from 2014 gets into. It is amusing how much "everything old is new again" applies, since the main issues from 1900 to after World War II were things like compensation and expanded football playoff schedules.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 3 months ago Watched it. Was that last play designed? or did Alabama QB run up the middle because of another low, bad snap from center?
It was designed , the OT got blown up which allowed Michigan to make the play , Tim Hassleback on Sportscenter did a great job reviewing it
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

STC wrote: 3 months ago I want Penix on the Patriots. I'd be shocked if he doesn't go Top 10 after that performance last night. Dude was making NFL throws all night.
Yeah he looks like the real deal
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 3 months ago
STC wrote: 3 months ago I want Penix on the Patriots. I'd be shocked if he doesn't go Top 10 after that performance last night. Dude was making NFL throws all night.
Yeah he looks like the real deal
He's been sacked 10 times in 14 games. I haven't seen a game of theirs all year, but that has to be contributing to his greatness.
Are the low sack numbers because he's that agile/athletic (because he has no rushing yards to speak of), or does he have the best o-line in America? Or, does he have the best o-line in America and a laser rocket arm?
0 x