Lucchino looks to sell WooSox

NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, BPL... you get it
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Lucchino looks to sell WooSox

Unread post by RF1 »

Looks like Larry is following the classic sell when the value is highest before it is expected drop.

Larry Lucchino is looking to sell Worcester Red Sox
https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/lar ... sEroCyxSxk
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Re: Lucchino looks to sell WooSox

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Larry lucchino is satan.

Fuck him.
2 x
:lol:
DuneClub
Abdul Fox

Unread post by DuneClub »

I always thought the risk was there for WooSox. The game is in decline even though it has many things going for it. I don't know the financials surrounding the paying for the new park but I would think it would make a sale more difficult.
It was too bad PawSox had to go but it was a good thing the pols knew how to say no if it just didn't work for them anymore. Telling Larry they knew their limitations - do what you have to do.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

DuneClub wrote: 5 months ago I always thought the risk was there for WooSox. The game is in decline even though it has many things going for it. I don't know the financials surrounding the paying for the new park but I would think it would make a sale more difficult.
It was too bad PawSox had to go but it was a good thing the pols knew how to say no if it just didn't work for them anymore. Telling Larry they knew their limitations - do what you have to do.
Most of the cost for the $159M Polar Park was picked up by the City of Worcester. The city floated bonds in excess of some $100M and promised that new tax revenues (from new businesses around park) would pay for it. The bond repayment schedule was structured to start off low in the early years and then begin to dramatically rise. The reasoning for this was that it would take time for the new businesses to get built and established. Tax revenues in the first three seasons were however not enough to cover the lower payments. The city was fortunate that it had made some unexpected money off the sale of land in the new district that covered the shortfalls. It will not have that luxury going forward. Things are likely to soon get tough with bond repayments as Covid slowed development and many original proposed buildings were delayed with some reduced in scope even before shovels went into the ground. I would imagine there will soon be bad PR and ill will toward the team when the city starts to have problems paying off the bonds.

I have to think WooSox management is somewhat concerned that attendance may have already plateaued. Crowds are typically at their highs in the early years for a new team and new stadium. The WooSox average attendance in years 2 and 3 was relatively static at about 7,350 (total attendance between 519-532K) . This is some 2,000 less than the best years at the then 60 year old McCoy Stadium. This is about 150,000 less people per season than in Pawtucket when the team had over six seasons above 600,000 in a nine year span from 2001-09. Furthermore, the WooSox were called out by local media early in the season as the reported attendance numbers appeared to be no where near the people in the park. Ownership was very coy when questioned and it was assumed that the number of tickets sold was being reported and there were likely many no shows (especially early) this season as opposed to its first two years. The WooSox who had often publicly regularly touted their attendance numbers in the first two seasons of Polar Park went quiet this year after being questioned. There were no attendance updates throughout the season or even at the end as the team was conspicuously silent on the matter. As you mentioned, baseball has been in decline and the poor recent performance seasons of the parent Boston Red Sox and their decline in regional fan interest and attendance also does not help.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

DuneClub wrote: 5 months ago I always thought the risk was there for WooSox. The game is in decline even though it has many things going for it. I don't know the financials surrounding the paying for the new park but I would think it would make a sale more difficult.
Baseball had been in decline but this year saw attendance numbers throughout the league pickup, most likely due to the rules put in place to speed up the game. We'll find out if it was just a one year blip or if it's the start of a larger trend.

Also, any credit I would give the politicians for taking a stand with baseball got pissed away by the terrible soccer stadium deal
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Just imagine the uproar in this state if the taxpayers built a new stadium and two years later the PawSox were for sale????? People would be losing their minds.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

I hope someone buys the woosox and moves the team New Mexico
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 5 months ago I hope someone buys the woosox and moves the team New Mexico
The team is unlikely to leave Worcester any time soon as it still has over 30 years left on its lease. It would be extremely expensive to buy out at present.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

WooSox sold to Diamond Baseball Holdings

Unread post by RF1 »

DBH reaches agreement to buy Worcester Red Sox
https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/A ... 5feddd1c20
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Fuck Larry Lucchino forever
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Who is this outfit that appears to now control most of Sawx farm system and many others?

Smells pretty sketchy?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 months ago Who is this outfit that appears to now control most of Sawx farm system and many others?

Smells pretty sketchy?
It is based out of NYC and owned by Endeavor Group Holdings of Beverly Hills, CA. So much for Lucchino's words of three weeks ago that he wanted to sell the WooSox to a "local buyer". Larry once again shows himself to be a snake.
2 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 months ago Who is this outfit that appears to now control most of Sawx farm system and many others?

Smells pretty sketchy?
same company that owns UFC and WWE.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

“To describe DBH’s expansion as rapid is an understatement. Founded by Endeavor in December 2021, DBH already owns over 21% of Major League Baseball’s 120 minor league affiliates. Since the beginning of October alone, they’ve purchased the Double-A Tulsa Drillers (Los Angeles Dodgers), Triple-A Norfolk Tides (Baltimore Orioles), and the Fresno Grizzlies and Triple-A Albuquerque Isotopes (both Colorado Rockies). If the league approves this sale, the WooSox will be DBH’s 27th team.” - Boston Herald
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Larry Lucchino dead at 78
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 weeks ago Larry Lucchino dead at 78
Adding in a link: https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/lar ... n-red-sox/
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote: 3 weeks ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 weeks ago Larry Lucchino dead at 78
Adding in a link: https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/lar ... n-red-sox/
You just did more for him than he ever did for us
4 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Lucchino Dies

Unread post by RF1 »

I will not be shedding any tears.
2 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

While I appreciate what he did for the Red Sox when he was part of the ownership group there, I will never get over how he single handedly destroyed the Pawsox. He wanted no part of RI in any way, shape, or form. He wanted the Pawsox, got them, and took them away.

Save me the Gina and Mattiello speak. The state could have 100% funded a brand new ballpark on taxpayer dollars, LL was leaving RI no matter what.

RI will never have another baseball team thanks to him.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Loved the PawSox

Love the 4 flags more

RIP
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I would think most Rhode Islanders have nothing but warm wishes for Larry.
Last edited by RF1 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

RF1 wrote: 3 weeks ago I would think most Rhode Islanders have nothing but warm wishes for Larry.
why?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 3 weeks ago
RF1 wrote: 3 weeks ago I would think most Rhode Islanders have nothing but warm wishes for Larry.
why?
You might need to change the batteries in your sarcasm detector. Look at their last post before the one you responded to
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 weeks ago
KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 3 weeks ago
why?
You might need to change the batteries in your sarcasm detector. Look at their last post before the one you responded to
my what?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Today's WooSox game has been cancelled for the second straight day due to the weather. It was for rain yesterday but today Polar Park is covered in snow. The home opener was however able to be played on Tuesday as the team reported a crowd of 8,422 in the 9,508 capacity stadium. The loss of two separate gate crowds (one game will become part of a single admission DH and the other will be played at Buffalo) so early in the season is not a good start.

Last edited by RF1 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 3 weeks ago Today's WooSox game has been cancelled for the second straight day due to the weather. It was for rain yesterday but today Polar Park is covered in snow. The home opener was however able to be played on Tuesday as the team reported a crowd of 8,422 in the 9,508 capacity stadium. The loss of two separate gate crowds (one game will become part of a single admission DH and the other will be played at Buffalo) so early in the season is not a good start.

What an embarrassment to only get 8422 at their home opener. The PawSox 2015 home opener, the last one before the Lucchino group shit all over McCoy and the RI market drew 10,258.

It breaks my heart that they're suffering at the gate early
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

A good friend of mine lives near Worcester and every summer is trying to get me to go to both WooSox games as well as the Worcester Bravehearts (who play at Holy Cross). I always go to the latter, but will refuse the WooSox. There may come a day when I go to a WooSox game, but it is not this day.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

steviep123 wrote: 3 weeks ago A good friend of mine lives near Worcester and every summer is trying to get me to go to both WooSox games as well as the Worcester Bravehearts (who play at Holy Cross). I always go to the latter, but will refuse the WooSox. There may come a day when I go to a WooSox game, but it is not this day.
The only ways I can see myself going to Polar Park is if our football game at Holy Cross in 2025 is played there or if Holy Cross hosts our baseball team there. And if our football game gets played there I'm going to piss and moan constantly about that bullshit
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Even though I went to college in Worcester and worked and lived in the area for close to a decade, I have vowed to never attend an event there. Have had plenty of opportunities (some even freebies) with friends and family but have turned them all down.
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

same. I won't go. I can't.
1 x