11/30 | Quinnipiac | 6 p.m.

Discuss everything related to the women's team.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

11/30 | Quinnipiac | 6 p.m.

Unread post by SGreenwell »

We didn't create a thread before this game - apparently we were sleepwalking as much as URI tonight. Woof.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Re: 11/30 | Quinnipiac | 6 p.m.

Unread post by PeteRI »

Absolutely inexcusable loss. The opponent had their two best players foul out of the game with about 5 minutes left and we had the lead and they still managed to choke it away. I thought we were done losing games like this but clearly I was wrong. Tammi needs to give the Freshman a chance to play because the grad transfers really aren't getting it done and the rest of the team is flat . Again free throws and horrible three-point shooting continues.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Weren’t they favored by a ton in this one? Holy crap.
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

This years team is a lot less fun to watch than last years. The hallmark of last years team was waves of shooters, and solid interior offense. But this year they seem to only play one good shooter (Sophie) and wind up just pounding the ball inside. Which works but man is it a lot less fun to watch haha

Also the rotation is very short, which is probably a symptom of taking on grad transfers who need burn
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 months ago Weren’t they favored by a ton in this one? Holy crap.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I liked last year's team a lot more. Maye playing the 5 surrounded by shooters with Tenin coming off the bench to spell Maye. The 2 transfers are not good outside shooters and their strength is going to the hoop. Playing the 2 bigs clogs up the lane for them. Last year we had the shooters where we could play inside out, but this year the only shooter is Sophie, and although I've only seen 1 game in person so far, I imagine the defense is keying on her. If Maye is in the post, teams would have to key more on her and that would open up more for Sophie and enable us to play inside out.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

What happened aren’t we a wagon?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago I liked last year's team a lot more. Maye playing the 5 surrounded by shooters with Tenin coming off the bench to spell Maye. The 2 transfers are not good outside shooters and their strength is going to the hoop. Playing the 2 bigs clogs up the lane for them. Last year we had the shooters where we could play inside out, but this year the only shooter is Sophie, and although I've only seen 1 game in person so far, I imagine the defense is keying on her. If Maye is in the post, teams would have to key more on her and that would open up more for Sophie and enable us to play inside out.
Haha yup we had like the same post.. The transfers may be better on paper but the team is less well rounded compared to last year in my opnion
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rhodysurf wrote: 4 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago I liked last year's team a lot more. Maye playing the 5 surrounded by shooters with Tenin coming off the bench to spell Maye. The 2 transfers are not good outside shooters and their strength is going to the hoop. Playing the 2 bigs clogs up the lane for them. Last year we had the shooters where we could play inside out, but this year the only shooter is Sophie, and although I've only seen 1 game in person so far, I imagine the defense is keying on her. If Maye is in the post, teams would have to key more on her and that would open up more for Sophie and enable us to play inside out.
Haha yup we had like the same post.. The transfers may be better on paper but the team is less well rounded compared to last year in my opnion
The expectations were obviously higher this season than last.
0 x
Spook5365
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Spook5365 »

The DNA of the team changed-a lot. Not necessarily bad just different. Last season 8 players shot 3s. 5 are gone, 2 of 3 returning are below average 3 shooters, the transfers are great scorers but also below avg 3 shooters. Opponents were hit with barrages of 3s many times last season. I don’t think that will happen this year. It’s” easy” for teams to take out Sophie now there is not much of a threat anywhere else from deep.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Spook5365 wrote: 4 months ago The DNA of the team changed-a lot. Not necessarily bad just different. Last season 8 players shot 3s. 5 are gone, 2 of 3 returning are below average 3 shooters, the transfers are great scorers but also below avg 3 shooters. Opponents were hit with barrages of 3s many times last season. I don’t think that will happen this year. It’s” easy” for teams to take out Sophie now there is not much of a threat anywhere else from deep.
True that we don't have the same number of threats from the outside, but Sophie has had looks and opportunities, just hasn't been able to knock down her shots.
Not going to make excuses, this team is out of sync right now.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 4 months ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 months ago Weren’t they favored by a ton in this one? Holy crap.
Not sure where this 30.5 comes from but it makes it look like a humongous upset and monstrous failure by the WBB team.
I went in thinking this game could go either way.

For one thing URI has only beaten Quinnipiac 1 time with 6 losses. All games vs 27 year HC Fabri.

I saw Quinnipiac underdog by 3 points and up to 9 but nowhere 30 at betting houses

Quinnipiac picked preseason 5th in MAAC and just a few voting points away from 3rd.

IMG_1290.png
IMG_1248.png
IMG_1250.jpeg
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody Vault called the loss an absolute shocker and URI was favored by over 30 points.

Makes the loss seem absurd but honestly it was not. Game we could have and should have won? Yes but not an absolute shocker.

Quinnipiac had 2 starters and their 3 biggest rebounders in the game foul out with 5 or more minutes left in Q4. URI took and missed 3 pointers by Phillips and Hyman in last minutes of game when clearly the advantage was inside with Quinnipiac bigs depleted.

IMG_1249.png
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Talented Freshman for Quinnipiac fouled out. Could have been an advantage to go inside with Toure and Magassa.

The 6’3” Freshman Anna Foley went 6-7 FG with 3 assists before fouling out in Q4.

Quinnipiac had bested Maine at Maine.

0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Quinnipiac is a good team. They beat Maine in Orono at the beginning of the season. They are tough on the road. All those arguments are valid.

But the truth is, we should have beaten them and we didn't for a very specific reason that Tammi acknowledged after the game and seemed to fix for the Princeton game. Basically, they needed to stop playing like a bunch of individuals that just met in the parking lot and instead play like a team, all on the same page, all trying to accomplish the same thing.

She seemed to get that message across for the Princeton game, which was from beginning to end, a very solid game for URI. Now, she has to duplicate that effort, over and over again, for the rest of the year.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ramster wrote: 4 months ago
Not sure where this 30.5 comes from but it makes it look like a humongous upset and monstrous failure by the WBB team.
I went in thinking this game could go either way.

For one thing URI has only beaten Quinnipiac 1 time with 6 losses. All games vs 27 year HC Fabri.

I saw Quinnipiac underdog by 3 points and up to 9 but nowhere 30 at betting houses

Quinnipiac picked preseason 5th in MAAC and just a few voting points away from 3rd.

IMG_1290.png

IMG_1248.png

IMG_1250.jpeg
I have no idea where that 30.5 came from either. Massey had us favored by 17. I'm shocked that anywhere else would have had it almost doubled
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines