12/2 | Providence | 7:30PM (FS1)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 12/2 | Providence | 7:30PM (FS1)

Unread post by reef »

adam914 wrote: 4 months ago It's a rivalry game (and college basketball where crazy shit happens all the time), so absolutely anything can happen and I'm not counting us out before the game even starts that's for sure. But for me my biggest concern is probably this being our first true road game with this team. It'll be really interesting to see how they handle that.

It hasn't been talked about much, but some of my concern about that comes from hearing that a players only meeting was needed after the Mohegan games. And some of Archie's comments about how this team handles adversity so far. I feel like it's a little bit of a red flag that things like that are going on just a few games in to the season, but its probably also expected somewhat with a bunch of new faces learning to play together. So I'm not trying to make too big of a deal out of it, and I have faith they can overcome it as the season progresses, but it does concern me a little for this game in particular.

With that said, F PC and GO RHODY!!
I think the players only meeting was after JWU game , sounded like a positive meeting with the players defining their roles

If we play like we are capable of we should definitely have a shot to win
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 4 months ago
adam914 wrote: 4 months ago It's a rivalry game (and college basketball where crazy shit happens all the time), so absolutely anything can happen and I'm not counting us out before the game even starts that's for sure. But for me my biggest concern is probably this being our first true road game with this team. It'll be really interesting to see how they handle that.

It hasn't been talked about much, but some of my concern about that comes from hearing that a players only meeting was needed after the Mohegan games. And some of Archie's comments about how this team handles adversity so far. I feel like it's a little bit of a red flag that things like that are going on just a few games in to the season, but its probably also expected somewhat with a bunch of new faces learning to play together. So I'm not trying to make too big of a deal out of it, and I have faith they can overcome it as the season progresses, but it does concern me a little for this game in particular.

That's my biggest concern too. Will they go out there and look overwhelmed again? Have we learned our lesson? Gotta be ready to go to war.

Its one thing to play hard, but PC still hits a bunch of tough shots and pulls away, but it's another thing to go out there, be weak with the ball and look discombobulated out there.

If he trots Fuchs out there to start I'll be holding my breath....him initiating the offense at the top of the key is 🤮
I will say though, I have liked the high low action we've been getting with our bigs.

1-3 times a game one of our big guys from the foul line gives a perfect pass down low for an easy layup.

Half the time it looks like it'll be a turnover but it drops perfectly into our guys' hands for a bucket.
I just worry about Fuchs handling PC's ball pressure after watching him fail miserably at Mohegan.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

That's my biggest concern too. Will they go out there and look overwhelmed again? Have we learned our lesson? Gotta be ready to go to war.

Its one thing to play hard, but PC still hits a bunch of tough shots and pulls away, but it's another thing to go out there, be weak with the ball and look discombobulated out there.

If he trots Fuchs out there to start I'll be holding my breath....him initiating the offense at the top of the key is 🤮
I will say though, I have liked the high low action we've been getting with our bigs.

1-3 times a game one of our big guys from the foul line gives a perfect pass down low for an easy layup.

Half the time it looks like it'll be a turnover but it drops perfectly into our guys' hands for a bucket.
Agreed - but if he starts Fuchs you can throw my optimism out the window.

No secret that we've started everything out slow and had to mount a comeback. Only during Yale did we switch things up and voila - winning time. I trust that Archie will not start Fuchs based on all of his comments after Yale.

But if he does, I'll be on suicide watch by 7:45.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Blue Man wrote: 4 months ago

No secret that we've started everything out slow and had to mount a comeback. Only during Yale did we switch things up and voila - winning time. I trust that Archie will not start Fuchs based on all of his comments after Yale.

For everyone on here who doesn't like when we call players and coaches out, I would stay off the board if Archie starts Fuchs because I'm not gonna hold back. It would be an awful coaching mistake.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 4 months ago

For everyone on here who doesn't like when we call players and coaches out, I would stay off the board if Archie starts Fuchs because I'm not gonna hold back. It would be an awful coaching mistake.
Would still like to see my original predicted starters of Kortright, House, Weston, Zek, and Brown.
Bilau still on limited minutes and should be first in along with Cam.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 4 months ago

Would still like to see my original predicted starters of Kortright, House, Weston, Zek, and Brown.
How do you measure up with coverage 77?

Oduro 6'9"
Hopkins 6'7"
Gaines 6'7"
Dual 6'5"
Carter6'3"
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 4 months ago

Oduro 6'9"
Hopkins 6'7"
Gaines 6'7"
Dual 6'5"
Carter6'3"
Athleticism, speed, and scoring punch.
I don't think changing things up to start with is a bad thing.
If we get beat up size-wise or on the boards play 2 bigs.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Oduro 6'9"
Hopkins 6'7"
Gaines 6'7"
Dual 6'5"
Carter6'3"
Fuchs will still need to show up and play well. Unless Archie lets Bilau play more but I don't know if that's going to happen. I'd just put Weston or Zek on Bryce and hope for the best. He's going to destroy whoever guards him anyway. Our offense should be a lot better with Weston out there. He's looking better and better. As others have said our best option may be zone and hope they are cold from 3. I don't think we can stop their frontcourt.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Oduro 6'9" - Brown
Hopkins 6'7" - Montgomery
Gaines 6'7" - Weston
Dual 6'5" - House
Carter6'3" - Kortright
What I mean is who is guarding who for URI? I put my guess with these 5 guys above.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Bilau is our best big option but I don’t believe Archie will push him in this game - unless the game goes down to the wire - and would rather make sure he is ready for conference play.

That said, please start big B over Fuchs this game, Archie or go with Brown as one big to start the game with House, Kort, Zek and Weston.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Oduro 6'9"
Hopkins 6'7"
Gaines 6'7"
Dual 6'5"
Carter6'3"
Fuchs will still need to show up and play well. Unless Archie lets Bilau play more but I don't know if that's going to happen. I'd just put Weston or Zek on Bryce and hope for the best. He's going to destroy whoever guards him anyway. Our offense should be a lot better with Weston out there. He's looking better and better. As others have said our best option may be zone and hope they are cold from 3. I don't think we can stop their frontcourt.
Stevey, this game is a great spot for Weston to prove his potential. Great spot for him to have a breakout game.

Let’s go Weston! Time to step up!
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

At least vs. Yale, Brown was the only big man that got more than 20 minutes (25). Fuchs started and had 13, Bilau 15, Foumena 6. That's roughly 59 minutes out of 80 minutes available for the 4 and 5 - Weston played 24 minutes, so plenty of his time came at the 4. It wouldn't surprise me if Miller tries to continue that against Providence, and pivots to Bilau as the primary backup for Brown or Weston, with Foumena or Fuchs as the "next man up" after that, depending on game situation and position needs.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Oduro 6'9" - Brown
Hopkins 6'7" - Montgomery
Gaines 6'7" - Weston
Dual 6'5" - House
Carter6'3" - Kortright
What I mean is who is guarding who for URI? I put my guess with these 5 guys above.
Yes, that would make the most sense and be my thought also.
Any match-up won't be easy because they out talent us.
Hopkins, Oduro, and Carter are the 3 best players on either roster.
As said before, Rhody needs to bring their A game to have a chance.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Zero talk or thread on their forum about the game.

Kinda surprising, would’ve thought they would have had it up and running this week.
Last edited by Rhody15 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago Zero talk or thread on their forum about the game.

Kinda surprising, would’ve thought they would be had it up and running this week.
…..maybe they’re not amped up yet?
5 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

section(105) wrote: 4 months ago

Kinda surprising, would’ve thought they would be had it up and running this week.
…..maybe they’re not amped up yet?
I see what you did there.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Kinda surprising, would’ve thought they would have had it up and running this week.
The general feeling among PC fans is that PC is the better team and if they play their game should be a 10+ point victory. Most of the fanbase just wants to take care of business and is thinking about the Top 25 road game at Oklahoma next week.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 4 months ago

The general feeling among PC fans is that PC is the better team and if they play their game should be a 10+ point victory. Most of the fanbase just wants to take care of business and is thinking about the Top 25 road game at Oklahoma next week.
Love fans looking ahead. Just love it.
3 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I hope the team is looking to Oklahoma as well.
8 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I mean we had a game thread for Johnson & Wales - but don’t think any of our fans were sweating that one out. I hope the players are as dismissive as the fans.
3 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 months ago

I mean we had a game thread for Johnson & Wales - but don’t think any of our fans were sweating that one out. I hope the players are as dismissive as the fans.
Different sites/levels of organization. Every game has a game thread, but pre-game talk is usually limited to BE games/higher resume-building games. I'd guess something pops up by Saturday morning.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

This was my original starting 5 as well. Go in with a big scoring punch right off the bat.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 months ago

Heard the coaches show tonight players definitely not looking past this game and neither are the fans.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think Arch goes with the same starters as the previous games but if Fuchs starts messing up early he will be pulled quickly
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

reef wrote: 4 months ago I think Arch goes with the same starters as the previous games but if Fuchs starts messing up early he will be pulled quickly
Well OK, my concern is he potentially messing up(turnovers) is that PC gets on a quick run, gets the crowd into it and we are in an early hole.
Last edited by section(105) 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Bilau should start, I’m sure that’s been the plan since he’s been out.
1 x
GO RAMS
gazakaza
Steve Chubin

Unread post by gazakaza »

With the game being tomorrow take a listen as we chat with the Providence Journal's Bill Koch to talk about the game and about both teams.

1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

There’s near zero local buzz regarding this matchup.

Times have changed probably lots of reasons but seems weird.

Holiday party for me probably gonna completely miss it live. Doesn’t worry me a bit. DVR later. Haven’t been to the dump in 20 years.

Has hatred turned to indifference?

Go Rams!
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 4 months ago There’s near zero local buzz regarding this matchup.

Times have changed probably lots of reasons but seems weird.

Holiday party for me probably gonna completely miss it live. Doesn’t worry me a bit. DVR later. Haven’t been to the dump in 20 years.

Has hatred turned to indifference?

Go Rams!
Yup, the buzz seems extremely minimal.

Different times, different times.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Building off that, I think it's because:

we haven't been good for a while, new players and coaches who haven't been part of the game, low expectations for us
4 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah I think it probably just comes down to most people not expecting us to be very competitive. Hopefully we're able to prove them wrong.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I really hope Fuchs doesn't get demoralized against bigger and better players like he did at Mohegan.

That would sink us immediately and put us behind the eight ball.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I’ve been hearing mentions of it on WEEI/HJY ect and all over social media. If we were not in a rebuild then it would be bigger obviously but we’ll get there.
2 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Be aware that there is a special Waterfire Holiday Celebration in Providence from 5:30-9pm on Saturday. Partial lighting in and around the basin that will feature Santa arriving by boat. Might impact traffic and parking prior to the game. Given we are in the Christmas season, expect the Providence Place Mall to be busier (than is typical) as well.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago Building off that, I think it's because:

we haven't been good for a while, new players and coaches who haven't been part of the game, low expectations for us
Yeah I mean this game really gets juice when it’s an actual rivalry between 2 good teams.

At least during the Baron years Pre-Cooley we traded games at home so there was at least the knowledge that the game would be competitive.

PC has won an overwhelming non-competitive majority of these games in the past decade.

If Rhody had taken 1 at Mohegan maybe there’s more juice but I don’t blame the casual fans here.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

1) a 2nd year and 1st year coach

2) two teams with very few players who have ever played in this game, and even fewer who have played multiple times

3) URI being bad the last couple of years

4) URI not making this series very competitive lately

Can’t say I’m that surprised
2 x
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

If we lose the next two years then this game has turned into a tradition, not a rivalry. With that said, Kortright with the money ball at the end, friars fans going home pissed as hell 😂
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

KingstonLane wrote: 4 months ago 1) a 2nd year and 1st year coach

2) two teams with very few players who have ever played in this game, and even fewer who have played multiple times

3) URI being bad the last couple of years

4) URI not making this series very competitive lately

Can’t say I’m that surprised
I think it has the proper amount of juice. We haven't played our part to make this matchup a huge game. Pretty simple.

It'll feel like a big game real quick once BIG D**K BILAU CHECKS IN
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I'm feeling a URI win!!!!!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

St Joseph's was +12.5 points AT 18 Ranked Villanova and beat them by 13 points Wednesday night

Many here think Billy Lange is a horrible coach

So if ST Joseph's can do it why not us? Heck with just beating the spread, win the game.
3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I honestly feel when it’s a lower line, we get blown out, higher line, we overachieve.
0 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 4 months ago St Joseph's was +12.5 points AT 18 Ranked Villanova and beat them by 13 points Wednesday night

Many here think Billy Lange is a horrible coach

So if ST Joseph's can do it why not us? Heck with just beating the spread, win the game.
Ramster I already said URI by 3. We could lose by 20, but I think Archie is a better coach than English.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I don’t think anyone on either side could honestly say they thought it was gonna be -15
0 x
Go Rhody
dave11to28
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by dave11to28 »

Any rhody fans attending the game and going anywhere for pregame?
1 x
bwerner10
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bwerner10 »

Is the school not organizing anything in Providence?
0 x
dave11to28
Frenchy Tomlin

Nope. Its pathetic actually. They usually do but they have a new person running events and she is a miserable person. I sent like 10 emails to her and this is all I got back.

On Oct 23, 2023, at 4:53 PM, Michele Nota <mnota@uri.edu> wrote:

Hi David, our office is not planning a pre-game Providence location. If you would like to host a pre-game meet up with friends, I’d be happy to send you a box of URI decorations. Best, Michele
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

dave11to28 wrote: 4 months ago Nope. Its pathetic actually. They usually do but they have a new person running events and she is a miserable person. I sent like 10 emails to her and this is all I got back.

On Oct 23, 2023, at 4:53 PM, Michele Nota <mnota@uri.edu> wrote:

Hi David, our office is not planning a pre-game Providence location. If you would like to host a pre-game meet up with friends, I’d be happy to send you a box of URI decorations. Best, Michele
Wait, that last sentence can’t be real right? 🤣

That is the most pathetic, tacky, and lazy response she could’ve given.

She should be embarrassed.
3 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Archie just needs to keep his lineups in check. Young group working together. Just don't let the game get out of hand. Keep the hot hands in and sit the cold one's until there is a spell to get them hot. The players need to be focused for the win, all game. All game, the focus is the win. LET'S DO THIS!!!!!!!!
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

She is still running the alumni relations. I think its been 25 years she held that position.
1 x
dave11to28
Frenchy Tomlin

Here was my response to her. She didnt have the decency to even respond. Then I sent a couple of follow up emails just asking if she received my email and she couldnt even respond....

Just out of curiosity, why is there not an event planned? I am sure Archie Miller and crew in an effort to advance this program in the direction it needs to go would love to have a large following of session ticket holders and fans who are attending the game show their support for this very important game for the university and program. Whoever made this decision to not host something made a very poor choice. All alumni and fans want is a place to gather . Then if you collected money to cover the food etc then host a cash bar that would be fine but just not hosting something is such a poor move. Gotta question whoever made this poor decision because if you were to ask Archie Miller and his camp, I doubt he would be in favor of this move.
1 x