Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by steviep123 »

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago The water at Madison Square Garden is $5.50.

I’m posting this from my phone inside their arena.
Blue Man - the Rhody game is at Mohegan not MSG. You’re in the wrong venue!! 🤣🤣
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

How was DMB though?

Do you have the URI tent in the red lot every year?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago

How was DMB though?

Lol amazing and yes.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago

How was DMB though?

Lol amazing and yes.
Nice, I've seen you then the last two years and given you a Go Rhody!
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Cam coming up big!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

How was DMB though?

I heard that my favorite rock couple, Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi played a couple of songs with Dave. TTB is the best live band in the world today, in my opinion.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago

How was DMB though?

I heard that my favorite rock couple, Derek Trucks and Susan Tedeschi played a couple of songs with Dave. TTB is the best live band in the world today, in my opinion.
They did. It was. The weight. Watchtower. Lie in our graves.
Attachments
IMG_9435.jpeg
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

^awesome! We've been huge DMB fans since the beginning. Seen those guys many, many times. Never a bad show. And Tedeschi/Trucks is icing on the cake!
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RI_Bred wrote: 5 months ago ^awesome! We've been huge DMB fans since the beginning. Seen those guys many, many times. Never a bad show. And Tedeschi/Trucks is icing on the cake!
Have you seen TTB live? They're unbelievable.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RI_Bred wrote: 5 months ago ^awesome! We've been huge DMB fans since the beginning. Seen those guys many, many times. Never a bad show. And Tedeschi/Trucks is icing on the cake!
Not yet live in person, no. But I do watch a lot of stuff online. My brother has seen them down in NC. Awesome!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RI_Bred wrote: 5 months ago
Not yet live in person, no. But I do watch a lot of stuff online. My brother has seen them down in NC. Awesome!
I've seen them about 10 times now. This should probably be put in another forum, but anyway.... I grew up with bands like the Allman Brothers and the Grateful Dead. I didn't think I'd ever see a jam band like them again. TTB is that and much more. I was at this show in Gilford, NH this summer when they covered this Jeff Beck song. ...Derek Trucks is widely known as the best slide guitar player in the world today. In my opinion, he's the best guitarist today, period.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

He and Billy Strings are probably the two best out there today - different genres but both incredible! I gotta get to one of their shows for sure.

(Huge Head here too btw...)
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RI_Bred wrote: 5 months ago He and Billy Strings are probably the two best out there today - different genres but both incredible! I gotta get to one of their shows for sure.

(Huge Head here too btw...)
Billy Strings was playing in Nashville this summer. TTB was playing across the street. Durring TTBs break (they play 2 sets sometimes), Derek ran across the street and played a couple of songs with Billy.
1 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

I was at the Monday night show at Mohegan. Great show and great crowd! I love how you can catch the entire set on YouTube a couple of days later.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

I'm not a big fan of DMB's Music, but I did see them live once (back in DC in 2001 or 2 in the old RFK) - they put on a tremendous show.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Anyone else notice that in every other arena in existence that the cameras panning to the crowd zooms in on one or two people and not a whole section?

Another in a laundry list of suck.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

“Laundry list of suck.”

😂 😂😂

Gotta file that one away and save in the bag for future use. Good stuff.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

With so few people there tonight my data signal was working pretty normally on my 7 year old Motorola phone.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

As long as we keep the crowd around 1500, the Wi-Fi and beer lines are fine. It’s not a building issue,it’s too many people. Sigh….
0 x
section205
Jim Eitner

Unread post by section205 »

I know the Ryan Center is a lot nicer than the other facilities… but is a Jumbotron that everyone in the building can see too much to ask for? Instant replays, new sound system too. That’s my wishlist. This is my first post I’m sure I’m not alone here

https://t.co/lzbKdCZJJC
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

section205 wrote: 5 months ago I know the Ryan Center is a lot nicer than the other facilities… but is a Jumbotron that everyone in the building can see too much to ask for? Instant replays, new sound system too. That’s my wishlist. This is my first post I’m sure I’m not alone here

I sit in 211. You mean there is a big screen already at the Ryan Center?????? Never would have known.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

section205 wrote: 5 months ago I know the Ryan Center is a lot nicer than the other facilities… but is a Jumbotron that everyone in the building can see too much to ask for? Instant replays, new sound system too. That’s my wishlist. This is my first post I’m sure I’m not alone here

Yes, it is too much to ask for, as evidenced by years of complaints as to why? Welcome aboard.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

section(105) wrote: 5 months ago

Yes, it is too much to ask for, as evidenced by years of complaints as to why? Welcome aboard.
Section105, Section205, a lot of sections on here.

Is anyone a Section 8 ?

Asking for my friend Klinger.

There were a lot of late night MASH watch parties at URI during my run there. Good times.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 5 months ago

Is anyone a Section 8 ?

There were a lot of late night MASH watch parties at URI during my run there. Good times.
Section 305, please report for duty. Section 305, you are needed for response.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote: 5 months ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 5 months ago

Is anyone a Section 8 ?

Section 305, please report for duty. Section 305, you are needed for response.
208, "here"
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 5 months ago

I sit in 211. You mean there is a big screen already at the Ryan Center?????? Never would have known.
Same here. It's good exercise for the neck. :lol:
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I thought there couldn't be a jumbotron due to how low the roof is?
1 x
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

The RC not having a Jumbotron remains criminal as top list of things that would so quickly change the experience. I would take Harvard’s 50 inch screens they have hanging over the center of the court before ours tucked in corners.

The video banners were a huge game changer, Jumbotron would do even more.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

RhodyKyle wrote: 5 months ago I thought there couldn't be a jumbotron due to how low the roof is?
I've been told the roof of the RC is not rated or designed to hold the weight of a jumbotron or other similar suspended lighting/AV 'stuff'.

it's the primary reason some events like WWE (think live TV) do not come to the RC. the building structurally cannot support some organizations requirements for production.
0 x
:lol:
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 5 months ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 5 months ago I thought there couldn't be a jumbotron due to how low the roof is?
I've been told the roof of the RC is not rated or designed to hold the weight of a jumbotron or other similar suspended lighting/AV 'stuff'.

it's the primary reason some events like WWE (think live TV) do not come to the RC. the building structurally cannot support some organizations requirements for production.
Then, for as long as the Ry roof can't hold a jumbotron safely up in the air, I vote to not get one, but that's just me.
They did have that other rasslin' crew in though...AEW? Seemed like they had a hundred red 18 wheelers in town for that.
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 months ago
KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 5 months ago

Then, for as long as the Ry roof can't hold a jumbotron safely up in the air, I vote to not get one, but that's just me.
They did have that other rasslin' crew in though...AEW? Seemed like they had a hundred red 18 wheelers in town for that.
yes. I was there. and it was friggin awesome. Hope they come back. even a WWE house show would be awesome.

however the staging and production for their show is significantly less than WWE. Check out a WWE live TV event at the AMP, and you'll see the difference. WWE is hanging A LOT of stuff from the roof.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

What are your thoughts on the sound system?

For me I have great difficulty understanding what the PA Announcer is saying and the louder they yell the worse it gets to where I have no idea what is being said.

I don't get the need for people with the microphone to yell anyway, isn't that the purpose of the mic/sound system anyway to talk normal level and let the system amplify?
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

When the Ryan Center first opened I did like the idea of the scoreboards in the corners in theory (if it was done right). The big one was good but couldn't be seen by everyone and the opposite one is partially blocked. If not having the right AV is keeping the RC from getting events, and making more $$$, then it is something that should get rectified.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I have never much liked the look of the corner with the large scoreboard. It gives the arena an "unfinished" appearance when viewed from other perspectives. It supposedly was done so the building could be shoehorned into the site so close to Tootell. They then put the main scoreboard, which cannot be seen from everywhere in the area, there. My preference would be for a center hung scoreboard with video along with a full 360 degree bowl of seating (at least in the lower parts of that SW corner if it cannot be fully extended to the last row). New video technology make systems far lighter weight wise so maybe this can now be done without stressing the roof supports. Adding more seats today might also now be possible after many more emergency exits were added with the Meade west stands. My wish before construction was always that the arena would have a capacity close to 9k and putting seats in that corner would get it closer to that.

Given URI rarely sells out the building and has historically only averaged in the low 5k range, there unfortunately is really no present real need to add more seating and this coupled with the cost likely means the SW corner will never be much modified.
Last edited by RF1 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 5 months ago I have never much liked the look of the corner with the large scoreboard. It gives the arena an "unfinished" appearance when viewed from other perspectives. It supposedly was done so the building could be shoehorned into the site so close to Tootell. They then put the main scoreboard, which cannot be seen from everywhere in the area, there. My preference would be for a center hung scoreboard with video along with a full 360 degree bowl of seating (at least in the lower parts of that SW corner if it cannot be fully extended to the last row). New video technology make systems far lighter weight wise so maybe this can now be done without stressing the roof supports. Adding more seats today might also now be possible after many more emergency exits were added with the Meade west stands.

Given URI rarely sells out the building and has historically only averaged in the low 5k range, there unfortunately is really no present real need to add more seating and this coupled with the cost likely means the SW corner will never be much modified.
They should rope off a section of the walkway under the big scoreboard and turn it into a bar area with seating, high tops with a drink rail, etc etc.
Last edited by Rhody15 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
Go Rhody
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

steviep123 wrote: 5 months ago When the Ryan Center first opened I did like the idea of the scoreboards in the corners in theory (if it was done right). The big one was good but couldn't be seen by everyone and the opposite one is partially blocked. If not having the right AV is keeping the RC from getting events, and making more $$$, then it is something that should get rectified.
from my understanding it's not an AV equipment issue. it's a structural issue. might as well knock the RC down and rebuild if we need the roof 'stronger' so you can hang more than a few banners from. a new roof would require new hvac piping and the such. ain't no one paying for that, I got bronchitis.

I look up at the roof all the time in there and i'm like 'wtf?!?' its catwalks and hvac tubes, wires bundled together. it's certainly no MSG ceiling.

we got what we got. i just want cell service. i don't even care about wifi anymore.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I have heard that when the Ryan Center was being build to come in under budget the height of the roof was lower then originally designed which eliminated the ability to have a Jumbotron which in turn maybe why the roof is not rated to hold a Jumbotron.
Do not know that for a fact
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rjv wrote: 5 months ago I have heard that when the Ryan Center was being build to come in under budget the height of the roof was lower then originally designed which eliminated the ability to have a Jumbotron which in turn maybe why the roof is not rated to hold a Jumbotron.
Do not know that for a fact

I have read that the roof height was indeed lowered to bring the project on budget. I however never heard that the support structure for the roof was changed as part of that. The reduced height could still however have impacted the prospect of ever having a center hung scoreboard giving there was less room to work with. Furthermore at the time of the build, a center hung board might then have been two heavy for the roof supports to bear. That might no longer be the case today with new technology.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago
RF1 wrote: 5 months ago I have never much liked the look of the corner with the large scoreboard. It gives the arena an "unfinished" appearance when viewed from other perspectives. It supposedly was done so the building could be shoehorned into the site so close to Tootell. They then put the main scoreboard, which cannot be seen from everywhere in the area, there. My preference would be for a center hung scoreboard with video along with a full 360 degree bowl of seating (at least in the lower parts of that SW corner if it cannot be fully extended to the last row). New video technology make systems far lighter weight wise so maybe this can now be done without stressing the roof supports. Adding more seats today might also now be possible after many more emergency exits were added with the Meade west stands.

They should rope off a section of the walkway under the big scoreboard and turn it into a bar area with seating, high tops with a drink rail, etc etc.
That's some professional arena thinking there. Sign me up. TD Garden has a few bar set-ups like this in their concourse area with tvs showing the game.
4 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Rudder's solution...stick the press up here, get rid of the black curtain, extend the seats in whatever section that is down even with the other sections on that sideline...
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

One day it would be nice to update/remove that giant HVAC vent around the catwalk that an elephant could comfortably walk through.
1 x
GO RAMS
Matt Keebler
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Matt Keebler »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 months ago One day it would be nice to update/remove that giant HVAC vent around the catwalk that an elephant could comfortably walk through.
How would you propose to remove or update this?
0 x
section205
Jim Eitner

Unread post by section205 »

ramster wrote: 5 months ago

What are your thoughts on the sound system?

For me I have great difficulty understanding what the PA Announcer is saying and the louder they yell the worse it gets to where I have no idea what is being said.

I don't get the need for people with the microphone to yell anyway, isn't that the purpose of the mic/sound system anyway to talk normal level and let the system amplify?
If Yorke acted like it was his job and not a hobby then maybe he wouldn’t be so bad. But for the sound system I think it’s always extra loud trying to bring some energy but it’s terrible. Every other arena has quality sound good bass so you can feel it. Much rather feel it than have my eardrums blown out. Can’t have a conversation without having to yell, maybe that’s why Yorke is yelling
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Does Mohegan still have the boards on the end zones? They did last time I was there and no center jumbotron. Of course that was for a concert several years ago and not a game.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

steviep123 wrote: 5 months ago Does Mohegan still have the boards on the end zones? They did last time I was there and no center jumbotron. Of course that was for a concert several years ago and not a game.
There are the boards in the end zones and a jumbtron hanging over center court
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

i've been calling for this for years - but i would do the rhody pub here.. a REAL rhody pub
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

rhodyrudder wrote: 5 months ago

Rudder's solution...stick the press up here, get rid of the black curtain, extend the seats in whatever section that is down even with the other sections on that sideline...

rudder is very smart
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Matt Keebler wrote: 5 months ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 months ago One day it would be nice to update/remove that giant HVAC vent around the catwalk that an elephant could comfortably walk through.
Ask an HVAC guy, but it’s a little distracting from the upper level and has a very industrial appearance. But not a priority obviously.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

The solution seems obvious. Re-do the roof so that it can be opened, closed, or set off to the side. When it's open, you would slide it over to cover the parking in front of the main lobby. Or, rotate it off to the football field side and you'd have some covered seating if you wanted to flex that way. Then, for basketball games...have giant cranes lift up the roof and fill in the gap with those blow up things they use on Heavy Rescue, and have, between the cranes that are holding up the roof on top of the Heavy Rescue pillows, strategically wired up there, a jumbotron that dangles down, not from the top, but between the cranes in the corners.... Think Big.

ETA: Pretty sure this would also solve the RyFi issues?
Last edited by NYGFan_Section208 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 months ago
Ask an HVAC guy, but it’s a little distracting from the upper level and has a very industrial appearance. But not a priority obviously.
The temp in the Ryan Center is usually pretty solid. I’m fine with the elephant vent.
0 x