2023-24 Rotation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Re: 2023-24 Rotation

Unread post by McRam »

theblueram wrote: 5 months ago
McRam wrote: 5 months ago Agree with all. The two guards on the floor were Always and Luis. From what I see , House is not a good defensive player. It seems his man is often getting by him causing a big to help and contributing to the poor defensive rebounding. With all the good guards in the league, playing house in certain situations might require a zone.( Would love to see Zek at the top of any zone with his height and quickness he would likely disrupt shots and be in the front when there r turnovers.
I don't believe Archie plays zone defense. I may be wrong, but I don't believe he does.
Blue ram, I believe u r right. I hope Archie re-thinks this for at least part of the game. Right now, we sure don’t look like a good defensive team
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Yeah, I don't recall Archie using a zone. I like a good 2-3 zone, basic zone defense in certain situations, but I think in most cases, the teams beating us up can light it up from outside, so a zone isn't going to help all that much anyway.

Like Rod used to say after two consecutive made 3 pointers by the other team "get outta that zone!"
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

McRam wrote: 5 months ago
McRam wrote: 5 months ago Agree with all. The two guards on the floor were Always and Luis. From what I see , House is not a good defensive player. It seems his man is often getting by him causing a big to help and contributing to the poor defensive rebounding. With all the good guards in the league, playing house in certain situations might require a zone.( Would love to see Zek at the top of any zone with his height and quickness he would likely disrupt shots and be in the front when there r turnovers.
I don't believe Archie plays zone defense. I may be wrong, but I don't believe he does.
Blue ram, I believe u r right. I hope Archie re-thinks this for at least part of the game. Right now, we sure don’t look like a good defensive team
McRam, we currently aren't, and Archie even said as much after the Fairfield game.
This will get corrected as the season goes along, hopefully much sooner than later.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Jersey77 wrote: 5 months ago

McRam, we currently aren't, and Archie even said as much after the Fairfield game.
This will get corrected as the season goes along, hopefully much sooner than later.
77, last weekend this team was Charmin soft. It was so glaring the first 12 minutes against NWU. They were out hustled, out rebounded and flat out destroyed. This team better get tough soon.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I don’t think DH goes zone either ?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 5 months ago

Correct Reef, Dan does not use zone either.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 5 months ago
77, last weekend this team was Charmin soft. It was so glaring the first 12 minutes against NWU. They were out hustled, out rebounded and flat out destroyed. This team better get tough soon.
Yep, to me the WSU was even more disappointing.
We are much softer than I would have thought.
Although, I think much of this is correctable by the coaches.
I think the toughness will improve and the game will slow down for some of our players.
Let's hope for a much better performance on Sunday.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, we haven't had a close game yet. Here's my question. 10 seconds left in the game, we're down one and we have the ball. What play does Archie go to for the last shot and who takes it? We've seen 6 games so far, so we're starting to get an idea of what each player does well and what they don't do as well. Who gets the shot, assuming the play goes as designed?
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

He'll do what every other coach seems to do these days. Let one guy dribble 43 feet from the basket until there are 2 seconds left and then hoist up an off balance 3 that does not hit the rim. I watch a lot of games and I'm always hopeful to find a coach that draws up a play, but most coaches these days feel that if they mandate a play, players will leave the program. 99% of all college players think they are the guy that can score in that situation - but 99% actually can't.

But to answer your question - give the ball to House if we are tied or down 1or 2 points (he'd drive and get to the line). Montgomery if we are down 3 because he can likely at least get a shot off with his length.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago So, we haven't had a close game yet. Here's my question. 10 seconds left in the game, we're down one and we have the ball. What play does Archie go to for the last shot and who takes it? We've seen 6 games so far, so we're starting to get an idea of what each player does well and what they don't do as well. Who gets the shot, assuming the play goes as designed?
Montgomery or House, depending on who has the hotter hand. Then, whoever the play isn't drawn up for would be option #2 to me - like if #1 is double teamed - with Estevez and Kortright roughly #3 and #4 in options to cycle through as the play continues. Unless the play results in a dunk or putback, I wouldn't really want any of our big men with the ball with 10 seconds left.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

78, I vote Monty in regards to your question above. I say Monty because he can drive, shoot the three and is good from the charity stripe.

Good question because I hadn’t given it any thought previously.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 5 months ago 78, I vote Monty in regards to your question above. I say Monty because he can drive, shoot the three and is good from the charity stripe.

Good question because I hadn’t given it any thought previously.
Me too Jdrums.

Plus as Al McQuire said you can't teach height
At 6'6" Montgomery can get his shot off from 3P, pull up jumper and best of all getting the dunk with seconds on the clock to bet the Fryuzz at the Dunk (I refuse to use Amp) on Dec 2!!!!
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Gotta be Montgomery as 1st option with House as secondary.

Even if House is having a great game, I’d still want Zek with the ball in his hands at the end.

Bigger, stronger, better chance of attacking the hoop and not getting stuffed as opposed to House.
1 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago So, we haven't had a close game yet. Here's my question. 10 seconds left in the game, we're down one and we have the ball. What play does Archie go to for the last shot and who takes it? We've seen 6 games so far, so we're starting to get an idea of what each player does well and what they don't do as well. Who gets the shot, assuming the play goes as designed?
Zek (1) or Cam (2) for a corner 3. I'd call the play, The Stanimal, and have the guy on the exact same spot Stan was when he hit that game-winner.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 months ago
Zek (1) or Cam (2) for a corner 3. I'd call the play, The Stanimal, and have the guy on the exact same spot Stan was when he hit that game-winner.
Email it to Archie because we may need it as soon as tomorrow.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would like to run some kind of offensive set to get an open shot or a nice drive to the hoop where we can get to the line if we need to , Zek and Jaden would be my top 2 options

What I don’t want is an isolation where we settle for a long 3
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Can we get the ball to Marquis Jones?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 5 months ago Can we get the ball to Marquis Jones?
When we play Dayton, yes.
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

reef wrote: 5 months ago
Correct Reef, Dan does not use zone either.
I hope that it will turn out different , but , my zone thought is based on how bad I think House is on defense and if true, and We want his offense, a zone might be the only answer.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 5 months ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 months ago
Email it to Archie because we may need it as soon as tomorrow.
I think it needs to start at Thorr, and work through the previously established channel. You can tell there's a dialog there. Looks like ECR, you're up?
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

He’s got to keep playing the scorers. Our D is soft.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Going to be interesting to follow as we approach conference play.

3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So, is the lineup that started the 2nd half (Brandon inserted for Fuchs) the starting lineup this Saturday?
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago So, is the lineup that started the 2nd half (Brandon inserted for Fuchs) the starting lineup this Saturday?
I would guess that, or Bilau for Fuchs.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago So, is the lineup that started the 2nd half (Brandon inserted for Fuchs) the starting lineup this Saturday?
I think Archie is trying to increase Bilau's minutes a little bit game by game. so I think he's picking his spots with him. But he did look good yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the starter sometime down the road.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago
I think Archie is trying to increase Bilau's minutes a little bit game by game. so I think he's picking his spots with him. But he did look good yesterday. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the starter sometime down the road.
Saturday Night as good a night as any to make the moves your gut tells you to make.
Miller is a better Head Coach than Kim English. Archie's 1st PC Game at the Dunk for Rhody!!!!
Wouldn't miss it for anything.

Looking forward to Spookydog's Pregame thread.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 5 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago

Saturday Night as good a night as any to make the moves your gut tells you to make.
Miller is a better Head Coach than Kim English. Archie's 1st PC Game at the Dunk for Rhody!!!!
Wouldn't miss it for anything.

Looking forward to Spookydog's Pregame thread.
Best day of the year that URI PC game !!

Not sure if the starting lineup switches but now would be a decent time to do it with a good week of practice leading up
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

He should go with Bilau and Brown to start. Those are the two bigs that have shown they can best hang with higher level front courts.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago He should go with Bilau and Brown to start. Those are the two bigs that have shown they can best hang with higher level front courts.
And go at Oduro, get that sombitch in foul trouble.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Now that we're roughly a quarter through the season, and faced off against a couple decent teams - Weston has been a good surprise! I was pretty pessimistic on him coming into the year, but he's been stroking it on offense. It isn't sustainable to shoot, hm, 72.7 percent from 3 for the year, but even assuming some regression there, he's been more aggressive - plus 2 FGA per 40 this year - while also dramatically increasing his passing, 0.9 assists per 40 to 2.6, and cutting his turnovers in half.

I'm not as down on Fuchs as some others here. He's probably 4th in the pecking order for minutes at the 4/5 now, but he's been promising for a true freshman. He leads the team in per-40 rebounding, by a tiny margin over Bilau and Foumena. I think he's someone that is clearly playable in the A-10, and he's definitely better than the guys we had last year. He is someone that Miller probably wants to retain, vs. Stewart and maybe Dubsky, who seem like candidates to transfer down.

Part of why my prediction for this year's win total was so low was that there were so many questions about the depth. Weston's improvement, Bilau returning early and Estevez being playable right away; and Foumena, Brown and Fuchs being roughly average, makes me happy that I'm almost certainly going to be wrong. We have eight guys that are at least at the mid-major level of quality. I think the next step to get from "scrappy average team" to better will be finding those All-Conference players - whether that's a 2024-25 recruit or transfer, or if Miller can get even more out of Montgomery or Estevez or someone else as the year goes along.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

If Montgomery keeps playing at this level he’s an all conference level player. Too soon to tell on Estevez.
5 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago If Montgomery keeps playing at this level he’s an all conference level player. Too soon to tell on Estevez.
Yup, the difference with Zek/House is Zek has consistently produced against all levels of competition.

Jaden has struggled mightily against bigger and better teams.
2 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago If Montgomery keeps playing at this level he’s an all conference level player. Too soon to tell on Estevez.
Yup, the difference with Zek/House is Zek has consistently produced against all levels of competition.

He's definitely struggled against better teams so far this year, but, well, it helps to have a guy out there that can just eat some innings, to steal some terminology from baseball. I think House will eat fine against some of the weaker teams in the A-10 and on our OOC schedule, which is useful if Montgomery is having an off-night or if teams start to scheme against / defend him better. House probably is what he is at this point in terms of player development, but that's still a very useful player and someone who gets 25 to 35 MPG on this team.
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Zek also is a more rounded player. Can score at all three levels, defend and rebound. Jaden is more just a pure play bucket getter. Who hasn’t been getting as many buckets lately.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago

Zek also is a more rounded player. Can score at all three levels, defend and rebound. Jaden is more just a pure play bucket getter. Who hasn’t been getting as many buckets lately.
Can’t be overstated how huge Jaden’s FTs were at the end of Yale.

For a team that struggled all day from the line, including himself, Jaden had absolute ice in his veins in a had-to-have-it 1 and 1.

He’s an important part of the team and scoring. Just struggled against length. To be honest against PC I could see him having a big game.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago

For a team that struggled all day from the line, including himself, Jaden had absolute ice in his veins in a had-to-have-it 1 and 1.

He’s an important part of the team and scoring. Just struggled against length. To be honest against PC I could see him having a big game.
I can’t see him having a big game with Carter guarding him.

Carter is one of the best perimeter defenders in the country.

Going to be tough for House to get going in my opinion.

He’s also got to deal with Oduro and 6’11 pogo stick Rafeal Castro at the hoop.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I know this is the age of the 3 point shot or a layup/dunk and nothing in between, but I still love the guards to develop a floater in the lane. House could really benefit if he had that shot. The shot blockers have it much easier when they know he's going to take it all the way to the hoop every time.
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I’m not worried about Jaden at all. He’ll adjust. He’s a baller. I expect him to get better throughout the season.
3 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Seems like Jaden is the type of guard that likes to use his bigs to get to the basket. Which is a good thing if the bigs are down low. I saw Bilau using some muscle down low to get post position against Yale. Didn't see that at Mohegan. In fact, haven't seen it much this year. Can't let defenders take over the basket. Limits if not eliminates offensive glass. Bilau would not let his man get position over him. Strong man. Our bigs need to get tough and not give up position. They do that and Jaden will score.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

The thing I have noticed about Jaden is he gets out of control some times looking to draw contact against bigger guys @ the rim . I hope he can improve that outside shot, I do like him however and think he will get better as the season goes on
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Looked into Bilau's recruiting history and he was a pretty big time recruit at one time. Something I don't think that's been talked about much here. I knew he had some offers, but he was very close to going to Nevada (sweet 16 musselman nevada), WV and Tennessee. Was offered by Kansas too, but he was really coveted by those other programs. I mean, Wichita State is legit too and I think we have gotten to see some glimpses as to why he had such great offers.

Just think...he's played this well as soon as he got back. How much better does he get? Super fortunate he's back so soon. Don't beat Yale without him!

That reminds me...Hey NCAA, mind providing us with another weapon? I like this adding a player that makes us better thing. #freeGreen
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago Looked into Bilau's recruiting history and he was a pretty big time recruit at one time. Something I don't think that's been talked about much here. I knew he had some offers, but he was very close to going to Nevada (sweet 16 musselman nevada), WV and Tennessee. Was offered by Kansas too, but he was really coveted by those other programs. I mean, Wichita State is legit too and I think we have gotten to see some glimpses as to why he had such great offers.

Just think...he's played this well as soon as he got back. How much better does he get? Super fortunate he's back so soon. Don't beat Yale without him!

That reminds me...Hey NCAA, mind providing us with another weapon? I like this adding a player that makes us better thing. #freeGreen
Really good research on Bilau , PRT I had no idea those high majors were on to him

Would love to see Arch start him going forward

Can we get some clarity on the Green situation , NCAA ?
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

SandorClegane wrote: 5 months ago I’m not worried about Jaden at all. He’ll adjust. He’s a baller. I expect him to get better throughout the season.
I think we need to expect Jaden to be up and down throughout the season. Looking at his game log from last year he would bounce from 20 point games to 10 point games. Some of it will be adjusting to better D, but honestly I think he is guy who gets hot in a game or doesn’t.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote: 5 months ago
SandorClegane wrote: 5 months ago I’m not worried about Jaden at all. He’ll adjust. He’s a baller. I expect him to get better throughout the season.
I think we need to expect Jaden to be up and down throughout the season. Looking at his game log from last year he would bounce from 20 point games to 10 point games. Some of it will be adjusting to better D, but honestly I think he is guy who gets hot in a game or doesn’t.
Yes, I am hoping for more consistency from Jaden, but sometimes adjustment at this level will take more time, especially with his new coaches and teammates.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Didn't want to make a whole thread for this...but it looks like someone Weston knew/maybe his brother passed away?

Posted on his Instagram story a video with someone with the caption

"They took my baby boy from me shit would never be the same had a million talks about this lil bro no way you just left the earth on me 😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥😥"
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Legacy game for Weston on Saturday?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I can’t see him having a big game with Carter guarding him.

Carter is one of the best perimeter defenders in the country.

Going to be tough for House to get going in my opinion.

He’s also got to deal with Oduro and 6’11 pogo stick Rafeal Castro at the hoop.
I don't think Carter is going to guard him. I think Carter and Luis are too similar is size and style. I think they'll be matched up against each other.

Duel I think will draw the assignment on House.

This is going to be a huge coaching battle.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Jaden better take some boxing lessons this week....you know, just in case
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 months ago
Wouldn’t matter. Men usually square up their opponents for a fair fight. Little bitch boys wait until they can sucker punch.

Fitting guy to root for for that fan base though.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RhodyKyle wrote: 4 months ago
My money's on Jaden if it comes to that.
1 x