Conference Realignment

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Conference Realignment

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rjv wrote: 6 months ago Odom head coach at VCU in his contract
“If VCU’s men’s basketball program enters another athletic conference that results in VCU receiving an increase of overall funds from the new athletic conference (“Increased Funding”), VCU will conduct a good faith review of the budget commitment for the men’s basketball program including the Coach’s compensation and term of employment under this Agreement and shall consider appropriate adjustments including an extension of such Term during the fiscal year in which VCU receives Increased Funding.”
Heads up play. I might want that guy, and the guy that negotiated the ACC rights deal to co-represent me, in everything. I give a big edge to my ACC rights deal guy, but you need someone that is always optimistically forward-looking like Odom's rep, too.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago
theblueram wrote: 6 months ago What would be people's perception of the A10 if VCU, Dayton and SLU left????
What's people's perception of America East?
If those current programs in the A-10 leave, the remaining programs would be a conference similar to the America East level, couple of stronger teams. One bid, little buzz, regional only interest, etc. The Ryan center with its capacity was not built to be an America East type conference. However, the way I see it, I don’t see a pathway to a “bigger” conference. Also don’t see any heavy weights that would back fill the A-10 vacancies? Smaller A-10 with Loyola/Siena types looking to move up. New conference? I guess it is a wait and see. No?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

section(105) wrote: 6 months ago
theblueram wrote: 6 months ago What would be people's perception of the A10 if VCU, Dayton and SLU left????
What's people's perception of America East?
If those current programs in the A-10 leave, the remaining programs would be a conference similar to the America East level, couple of stronger teams. One bid, little buzz, regional only interest, etc. The Ryan center with its capacity was not built to be an America East type conference. However, the way I see it, I don’t see a pathway to a “bigger” conference. Also don’t see any heavy weights that would back fill the A-10 vacancies? Smaller A-10 with Loyola/Siena types looking to move up. New conference? I guess it is a wait and see. No?
Our only way to be in a bigger conference is if we create it with some of the other top half programs in the A10 when it comes to resources, facilities, and commitment to basketball and pull in another school or two better than what we have currently. One way or the other we need to shed the dead weight we're surrounded by or we'll sink with them
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This whole VCU Dayton SLU leaving thing is ridiculous in my mind. They’re acting as if they’re blue bloods, give me a break. This is a good basketball conference and a few lousy seasons doesn’t change decades of solid competitiveness and success. Every league has bottom dwellers and top dogs, the A10 will improve, but let’s not jump ship on realignment just because others are doing so.
1 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 6 months ago This whole VCU Dayton SLU leaving thing is ridiculous in my mind. They’re acting as if they’re blue bloods, give me a break. This is a good basketball conference and a few lousy seasons doesn’t change decades of solid competitiveness and success. Every league has bottom dwellers and top dogs, the A10 will improve, but let’s not jump ship on realignment just because others are doing so.
Yea, not jumping on realignment really worked out for Wash St and Oregon St.

SMU is going to the ACC, worse athletic programs than VCU Dayton St Louis are moving up conferences.

It may be ridiculous, but it’s the current landscape.

So you want us to just sit tight and get screwed?

Better to be proactive than reactive.
3 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Ramfan22 wrote: 6 months ago
Ramfan22 wrote: 6 months ago Strange that only Memphis pages are reporting that. Doesn’t make sense for VCU to leave a conference they fit perfectly in for a conference that’s the same level.
Had a feeling

I regularly read the VCU forum and there are several threads that discuss this. There have been additional multiple sources close to the VCU program that have posted that the AAC move has no legs.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody15 wrote: 6 months ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 6 months ago This whole VCU Dayton SLU leaving thing is ridiculous in my mind. They’re acting as if they’re blue bloods, give me a break. This is a good basketball conference and a few lousy seasons doesn’t change decades of solid competitiveness and success. Every league has bottom dwellers and top dogs, the A10 will improve, but let’s not jump ship on realignment just because others are doing so.
Yea, not jumping on realignment really worked out for Wash St and Oregon St.

SMU is going to the ACC, worse athletic programs than VCU Dayton St Louis are moving up conferences.

It may be ridiculous, but it’s the current landscape.

So you want us to just sit tight and get screwed?

Better to be proactive than reactive.
Be proactive by trying to elevate ourselves to a regular top tier program and building our own brand name.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Good point, Jersey.

Although, while we (Rhody) are doing that, I would like to see the conference leadership be proactive, as well. A multi-pronged approach.

But, that’s just me. I have no inside info as to whether conf leadership is being proactive or not behind the scenes. Perhaps they are. I can only go by speculation, leaks from others.

The speculation is just something else to chew on until the real games start next month.

In the meantime, it looks like the VCU leaks to the AAC don’t have legs, so far. That is good news.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Not sure what the benefit to moving to the AAC would be . With the extensive travel that would be required I think they would be crazy to do such a thing unless thdy know something else is going down. If they were a football school that would be another thing.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Not believing this VCU rumor until I hear it from a credible source. Not currently being reported elseware.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 6 months ago
Ramfan22 wrote: 6 months ago Strange that only Memphis pages are reporting that. Doesn’t make sense for VCU to leave a conference they fit perfectly in for a conference that’s the same level.
Had a feeling

I regularly read the VCU forum and there are several threads that discuss this. There have been additional multiple sources close to the VCU program that have posted that the AAC move has no legs.
If the AAC wants to add another non-football school and VCU isn't interested we should be trying to grab that slot. The A10 is dying and we need off this ship
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Had a feeling

If the AAC wants to add another non-football school and VCU isn't interested we should be trying to grab that slot. The A10 is dying and we need off this ship
After adding Army, AAC commissioner Aresco said they are currently done with any additional talk of expansion.
Last edited by Jersey77 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

woodennickel1 wrote: 6 months ago Not sure what the benefit to moving to the AAC would be . With the extensive travel that would be required I think they would be crazy to do such a thing unless thdy know something else is going down. If they were a football school that would be another thing.
This was my thought as well. I think VCU would be far more interested in the Big East or the ACC - which strikes me as vaguely possibly - or the conferences that are bigger than that. But as much as we complain about the A-10, the AAC seems like a pretty lateral move to me.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago If the AAC wants to add another non-football school and VCU isn't interested we should be trying to grab that slot. The A10 is dying and we need off this ship

The A-10 may have its issues but a move to the AAC would make no sense for URI. It is mainly a FBS football league and its membership is in a constant state of flux with its best known school Memphis looking to leave at the first chance. Travel in the league, especially for the non revenue sports, would be a complete and costly nightmare as the conference is located in the states of Texas (4), Florida (2), North Carolina (2), TN, AL, Louisiana, Oklahoma, PA, and Kansas.
3 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Had a feeling

Losing Houston is a major loss for the AAC. How much better long-term is a conference headlined by Memphis, FAU, and Wichita St? The A10 needs fresh leadership that's not afraid to be innovative. Think that would make a helpful difference.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 6 months ago

Losing Houston is a major loss for the AAC. How much better long-term is a conference headlined by Memphis, FAU, and Wichita St? The A10 needs fresh leadership that's not afraid to be innovative. Think that would make a helpful difference.
RJ, Memphis, FAU and Wichita State would be a great addition to Dayton, URI, VCU, SLU, Richmond, GMU and Davidson. Maybe UMass, but who knows with them. Problem is football. But that would be a pretty solid basketball conference.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

theblueram wrote: 6 months ago

RJ, Memphis, FAU and Wichita State would be a great addition to Dayton, URI, VCU, SLU, Richmond, GMU and Davidson. Maybe UMass, but who knows with them. Problem is football. But that would be a pretty solid basketball conference.
Yeah - they're not high level / successful teams usually, but Memphis and FAU do have D-I football teams, so I doubt they'd be interested in a non-football conference. Wichita State surprisingly doesn't have football - for a while, the Koch brothers were massive boosters for the school, which was raising its athletic profile overall. But after Gregg Marshall got shitcanned for being an ass, they went 48-34 across three years. (They hired Paul Mills this offseason, who certainly has a good profile on paper from his work at Oral Roberts.)
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

If you combined them with the top of the A10, perhaps. If 2-4 teams were joining as basketball-only to play East Carolina, Rice, Tulane, UTSA, Tulsa, Charlotte, etc.? Yikes. And even then, does FAU crumble if they lose their coach? And as AAC teams, Memphis and Wichita have combined for 2 tournament wins in 16 combined seasons of AAC play. Certainly decent options as tourney contenders, but not exactly lighting up the interest meters of casual college basketball fans.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

If you combined them with the top of the A10, perhaps. If 2-4 teams were joining as basketball-only to play East Carolina, Rice, Tulane, UTSA, Tulsa, Charlotte, etc.? Yikes. And even then, does FAU crumble if they lose their coach? And as AAC teams, Memphis and Wichita have combined for 2 tournament wins in 16 combined seasons of AAC play. Certainly decent options as tourney contenders, but not exactly lighting up the interest meters of casual college basketball fans.
Memphis and Wichita State have a combined 13 NCAAT wins in the last 10 years. FAU does not have a good history for sure.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Memphis and Wichita State have a combined 13 NCAAT wins in the last 10 years. FAU does not have a good history for sure.
Wichita did all its damage in the MVC with Gregg Marshall. They only have 2 NCAATs since joining the AAC, 0-2.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago If the AAC wants to add another non-football school and VCU isn't interested we should be trying to grab that slot. The A10 is dying and we need off this ship

The A-10 may have its issues but a move to the AAC would make no sense for URI. It is mainly a FBS football league and its membership is in a constant state of flux with its best known school Memphis looking to leave at the first chance. Travel in the league, especially for the non revenue sports, would be a complete and costly nightmare as the conference is located in the states of Texas (4), Florida (2), North Carolina (2), TN, AL, Louisiana, Oklahoma, PA, and Kansas.
y''mean like this?:

I left my home in Norfolk Richmond, Virginia, Lu-ze-anna on my mind
I straddled that Greyhound and rode him into Raleigh and on across Caroline
We had motor trouble that turned into a struggle halfway across Alabam'
Well, that 'hound broke down and left us all stranded in downtown Birmingham
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The VCU Athletic Director tells the Richmond Times-Dispatch that the AAC rumor has no merit

https://richmond.com/sports/college/bas ... a131b.html
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 6 months ago The VCU Athletic Director tells the Richmond Times-Dispatch that the AAC rumor has no merit

https://richmond.com/sports/college/bas ... a131b.html
waste of a good song lyric then...
0 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Vcu, Davidson, Dayton, SLU, Rhody, Gonzaga, St. Mary’s, Wichita State, Temple, Memphis, Umass, Richmond, Oregon St, Wash St - basketball

Davidson, Dayton, Rhody, Oreg St, Wash St, Umass, Richmond, Temple, Memphis - football

Force 4 teams to move up in football. Won’t ever happen but basketball wise it is a nice dream.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody Sody wrote: 6 months ago Vcu, Davidson, Dayton, SLU, Rhody, Gonzaga, St. Mary’s, Wichita State, Temple, Memphis, Umass, Richmond, Oregon St, Wash St - basketball

Davidson, Dayton, Rhody, Oreg St, Wash St, Umass, Richmond, Temple, Memphis - football

Force 4 teams to move up in football. Won’t ever happen but basketball wise it is a nice dream.
There's a dream and there's delusion.

This is delusion lol
0 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

There is an interesting post about the AAC that was made on the VCU fan forum. It was written by a fan of Temple, a longtime former A-10 school that went to the AAC.

Temple fan AAC Post.png
0 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Rhody15 wrote: 6 months ago
Rhody Sody wrote: 6 months ago Vcu, Davidson, Dayton, SLU, Rhody, Gonzaga, St. Mary’s, Wichita State, Temple, Memphis, Umass, Richmond, Oregon St, Wash St - basketball

There's a dream and there's delusion.

This is delusion lol
Unfortunately true
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Andy Katz @TheAndyKatz

Rick Barnes said postgame last night in Madison he would anticipate the
@SEC would go to 20 league games when Texas and Oklahoma join next season.
He also said he wouldn’t be surprised if the
@B1GMBBall went to 22 games with the four West Coast additions.

@IlliniMBB coach Brad Underwood told me last week he is for the additional two conference games.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 5 months ago Andy Katz @TheAndyKatz

@IlliniMBB coach Brad Underwood told me last week he is for the additional two conference games.
More conference games by leagues such as the SEC and Big Ten mean less OOC games for them. That is not good for teams from leagues such as the A-10 which has struggled for years to get OOC games with higher profile conference members.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 5 months ago

More conference games by leagues such as the SEC and Big Ten mean less OOC games for them. That is not good for teams from leagues such as the A-10 which has struggled for years to get OOC games with higher profile conference members.
Yep
I also heard earlier this year that with these Conferences expanding that they would add to their Conference Football Schedule and reduce some of the Buy games that they do with FCS Teams. Not good for the FCS Team Budgets.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This is why I don't understand the rants from Jon Rothstein pleading for the A-10 to reduce its slate of league games. He argues that the A-10 teams need to play more games against better opponents. How is that possible if a large number of the better opponents are eliminating OOC game opportunities?
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 5 months ago This is why I don't understand the rants from Jon Rothstein pleading for the A-10 to reduce its slate of league games. He argues that the A-10 teams need to play more games against better opponents. How is that possible if a large number of the better opponents are eliminating OOC game opportunities?
I agree, sometimes Rothstein gets it wrong.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 5 months ago This is why I don't understand the rants from Jon Rothstein pleading for the A-10 to reduce its slate of league games. He argues that the A-10 teams need to play more games against better opponents. How is that possible if a large number of the better opponents are eliminating OOC game opportunities?
There’s better mid major teams to play against than the bottom of the A10.
2 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

He picked Rhody last. His words are dead to me.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 months ago
He picked Rhody last. His words are dead to me.
Yeah he’s dropped down a notch for me after that prediction
Have some faith in Arch , Jonny Rothstein !!
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

They will throw us a bone….Preseason charity games.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Yes but those larger conferences will end up cancelling each other out - they won't be doing challenges with other P6 schools because they'll be filling up their own conference slates. Other conferences will be looking for dance partners.

Agree with 15 that there are better mid major options out there than most of the bottom of this trash league.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago
Yes but those larger conferences will end up cancelling each other out - they won't be doing challenges with other P6 schools because they'll be filling up their own conference slates. Other conferences will be looking for dance partners.

Agree with 15 that there are better mid major options out there than most of the bottom of this trash league.
Yeah agree with this also , I’m confident Arch will schedule the right way when we are @ large worthy
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago

Blue Man, much easier said than done.
Many of the top mid-majors don't want to play and knock each other off.
If it was that easy, we wouldn't schedule some of the teams that we do, same with the other A10 programs.
I don't see any teams from the AAC or MWC on our schedule, not even Vermont which is relatively close.
Besides many of the teams that are on our schedule are much worse than some of the bottom tiered A10 schools.

I have no problem with the current set-up, there are still plenty of opportunities to schedule top mid-major programs if that is what we choose to do and are able to get done.

Unless I hear otherwise, I don't think the A10 coaches or AD's have a problem with the 18-game conference schedule.
Many A10 schools have trouble trying to fill out their OOC schedule as it is.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I assume that means they'll be FBS in Football soon?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

How will the SEC respond to this news?
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

steviep123 wrote: 5 months ago
I assume that means they'll be FBS in Football soon?
Yes. A desire to be FBS in football is driving the move. I believe you can only make the jump if you have a conference invite in hand. Football is the big sport at UD and they spend big and have recently upgraded their stadium and support infrastructure.

New CUSA Membership
Delaware
Liberty
Western Kentucky
Middle Tenn St
Kennesaw St
Jacksonville State
Florida International
La Tech
Sam Houston
UTEP
New Mexico St

The CUSA Men's Basketball Tournament was played in Frisco, TX in 2023.
Last edited by RF1 5 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Not many natural rivalries there.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

CUSA is like the group of ugly girls from high school that nobody would ask to prom so they just go together as a big group.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

NCAA proposes rule to let schools, athletes enter NIL deals

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... -nil-deals

Suggests creating triers in D1 and letting the big money schools/conferences create their own rules.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Terrible for the NCAA tournament.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 4 months ago NCAA proposes rule to let schools, athletes enter NIL deals

Suggests creating triers in D1 and letting the big money schools/conferences create their own rules.
I wonder if this would be the end of the A10 where you have certain schools willing to spend at the highest levels to try to stay/remain relevant with other schools not willing/unable to do it
1 x
Steve81
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Steve81 »

Lots of smoke regarding UMass to CUSA for 2025-26.
Matt Brown
Here's what I'm hearing about UMass potentially joining CUSA, what might happen with the CAA post-Delaware Departure, and more.

My recommendation is that UMass fans do not panic this month if they don't see any press releases:
https://www.extrapointsmb.com/p/im-hear ... -umass-caa
Let’s talk about UMass
It makes perfect sense for fan speculation to immediately turn to UMass. The Minutemen are a bus ride away from Delaware, share meaningful FCS football history, and are similar institutions (academically selective, state flagships, etc). The UMass athletic administration has also been clear that the school does not want to be an FBS independent long-term, and views securing a conference invite to be critically important.

Multiple industry sources have told me that during their conversations with Conference USA, Delaware indicated that they would be very happy about UMass potentially joining the conference, although Delaware’s invite and interest in CUSA were in no way dependent on anything happening one way or another in Amherst. I’m also told that UMass would be receptive to continued conversations with CUSA.

But is anything imminent? Is anything going to be announced this calendar year?

I’m told….no. And here’s why.

Real quick, even though I’m turning on the paywall below, let me just offer this for any UMass fan readers. Do not panic. Enjoy your holiday season. I am not trying to play with your emotions. Again, do not panic. What is below this paywall fold is not bad news. It is just regular ol’ news.
1 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

RIFan wrote: 4 months ago NCAA proposes rule to let schools, athletes enter NIL deals

This is at least partially good for small schools like us, because this would mean individuals could give tax deductible donations to the school instead of non deductible donations to slightly more sketchy collectives
1 x