11/26 | Yale | 4:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 11/26 | Yale | 4:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Blue Man »

KingstonLane wrote: 5 months ago *braces for incoming Blueman war call about this teams potential*

Jokes aside. This may be the game we look back on as the turning point for the Archie tenure. The boys now have a good win under their belt.

Confidence building, rotations coming together.

Were on to Providence week
*climbs onto an indigenous mountain ram*

*rides to the top of Jerimoth hill*

“DO YOUUUUUU BELIEVEEEEEE NOW!?”

I mean. It’s what some of us have been saying. And this is less about Yale being a very good team, and more about the fact that once again this team was down almost 20 points in the first half and the came back. This time winning.

A good coach makes adjustments. If you listened to the postgame he’s been essentially waiting for bench guys like Weston to go and take the spots from the starters and earn it. That clearly happened today.

Fuchs should be used as he was in the 2nd half moving forward. 5 mins or so. Bilau is clearly our best big and I expect his minutes to keep increasing as he comes back.

Weston has been on fire from deep as he’s played and it showed up today. He can also jump out of the building. That one handed board he exploded for made my heart skip a beat.

Zek just shows up all the damn time. It’s so impressive.

Luis is coming into his own. That end of clock 3 was absurd.

I do wish he and Weston would check themselves getting too overconfident and trying to do too much, but I’ll let it slide with everything else they gave tonight.

We beat a very good team tonight, a solid Q2 win, and if you want a swig of my koolaid we have zero bad losses and a good win. Smell that bubble bitches. HATE WEEK LETS GOOOOO
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rhodysurf wrote: 5 months ago Ok I’ve seen enough fuchs
He don't give no Fuchs
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

The lineup changes will happen, Archie made reference to that, players that play hard, play the write way will get more minutes. Fuchs, I am thinking will not be a starter. Back on track, feeling good about where we are. Memo to York, the Montgomery and Weston calls have to end. On to PC, this time not making the trip to Providence.
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

One play I took note of was in the second half, Yale got the ball and was breaking down the court. Cam ran hard directly to the baseline corner in perfect time to defend a 3pt shot. These things go unnoticed, but it was a great defensive play by him.
7 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

A great showing of fortitude by this year's team to come back and upset the top Ivy League team which has some problematic talents.

Let's Go!

These wins boost future attendance.
9 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody74 wrote: 5 months ago Archie said in post game that there will be a lineup change going forward. I’d like to see Bilau, Brown, Luis, Zek and Weston.
I would think (hope) it’s Bilau for Fuchs.

Keep Weston as the scoring punch off the bench.

Keep him healthy (🙏🏼🤞🏼) and he’s gonna turn into the Top 100 kid he was coming outta high school.
2 x
Go Rhody
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

jcru wrote: 5 months ago Did anyone notice? Fuchs on the bench to start the second half, comes in later on, plays way better than when he starts?

Better for the team, and it keeps him motivated. Win-win
For sure! Thought he played as the only big with 4 guards and looked much more comfortable without another big man on the court.

When Archie went big it was Brown and Bilou . The B and B tandem???
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

jcru wrote: 5 months ago Year #2 of the Archie era looks remarkably like year #1 of the Archie era
This...is why it's maybe not such a bad thing that you can't post from the games... and it's better to just catch up, like this...
3 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

I’ll give props to Mbeng, scouted house perfectly but my lord, Jaden deserved at least 6 more free throws

As soon as Bilau is back stamina wise he better be playing 25+ mins a game man is a great defender

Or could go with B West like we started the 2nd half

Either or I’ll be happy with
4 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

https://www.providencejournal.com/pictu ... 713133007/

Some real nice photography in the above ProJo piece 👆
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Love listening to Archie in post game. For the tech struggle folks, worth working at it. Came through the car radio today. No Coach speak crap. Just honest assessments of where we are, where we’re not. And especially what his expectations are of layers. Solid listen.
7 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

It has been a while since I have gone home this happy from the Ryan Center. Some players contributed more than others but everyone contributed something. First half Yale got so many easy looks compared to Rhody. It was a surprising comeback to say the least. Bilau in the game really helped settle the defense and have not looked at the box score but rebounding surely improved in the second half. I'm hoping this is not the biggest win of the season. Weston impressed me today and was willing to bang down low in addition to shooting well. Estevez looks like he will be a plus defender soon. House needs to step up after joining a stronger conference. He should be able to adjust but really needs to play hard on both ends. I was a little surprised he did not crash the boards on defense with just a couple of minutes left in the game.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 5 months ago Also god bless Yale if they’re able to keep Wolf after this year.

True 7 foot sophomore who shoots 40%+ from 3. Kid has high major written all over him
That dude can play some
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 months ago
jcru wrote: 5 months ago Year #2 of the Archie era looks remarkably like year #1 of the Archie era
This...is why it's maybe not such a bad thing that you can't post from the games... and it's better to just catch up, like this...
I don't think anyone needs to apologize for having that opinion, at that point of the game. Clearly, that first half play was all too familiar to last year.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I like the way Bilau and Brown played together.
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago
Great stuff, Stevey !

Let’s goooooooooooooo
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I still think he starts House. But Bilau is definitely the starting 5 assuming he’s healthy.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 months ago https://www.providencejournal.com/pictu ... 713133007/

Some real nice photography in the above ProJo piece 👆
Thanks for posting this, 57.

Excellent photo’s.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Brown came out of the 2nd half locker room ramped up. He looked good. Blocking shots, crashing the boards, ripping balls out of defenders hands, in great position at least one time to grab a ball that was lost by a Rhody guard, diving for loose balls, he looked the way you would hope a frontcourt player on this team with that size would play. It may not have been for the entire game, but it was promising.
3 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 5 months ago An expected small crowd today with attendance of 3,511 officially reported. Third straight game below 4k. YTD average is now at 3,833.
I must say, the reduced attendance has significantly improved beer line time. Not on a per person basis. I mean, you do still kind of get lulled into numbstruck awe at how long each transaction actually takes, but there's fewer of them to wait through
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RF1 wrote: 5 months ago An expected small crowd today with attendance of 3,511 officially reported. Third straight game below 4k. YTD average is now at 3,833.
I must say, the reduced attendance has significantly improved beer line time. Not on a per person basis. I mean, you do still kind of get lulled into numbstruck awe at how long each transaction actually takes, but there's fewer of them to wait through
They need to hire a few cashiers from Aldi's. Those guys can ring up 50 items in 50 seconds, and give you the total before you can get the card out of your wallet.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

A thing with Fuchs that I don’t think has been brought up yet.

Maybe he regrets coming to the states, misses home, etc etc so that’s reflective in his effort level sometimes?

That’s obviously not a legitimate excuse, and not what I believe to be true, just something that popped into my head.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago A thing with Fuchs that I don’t think has been brought up yet.

Maybe he regrets coming to the states, misses home, etc etc so that’s reflective in his effort level sometimes?

That’s obviously not a legitimate excuse, and not what I believe to be true, just something that popped into my head.
I think it’s a motor issue with him. And motor is tough to teach you kinda either have it or don’t. I hope it’s just homesickness.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 5 months ago
They need to hire a few cashiers from Aldi's. Those guys can ring up 50 items in 50 seconds, and give you the total before you can get the card out of your wallet.
This made me laugh out loud, because you're right. And at Stop n Shop, I can probably even do a least half that on the self serve.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Archie, somewhere along the line mentioned he (Fuchs) is dealing with a lot, new country, new academic requirements, college hoops workload and demands on time, the D1 college game being different, etc. Things he is adjusting to. Factors who knows. It don’t get any easier from here.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Regarding Fuchs maybe we oughtta stop killing the kid. We’ve seen plenty worse around these parts.

Just a thought…
9 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I do think he looked better coming off the bench. I think it may be just a matter of too much, too soon. Like if Al Skinner or Jim Harrick had declared David Arigbabu the second coming. No, instead, he came in for portions of the game, and he had games where he was a real difference maker and he had games where he wasn't. And as they were cruising to the end of that Elite 8 season, his teammates, namely Tyson and others were talking him up in the post game interviews, how he was their banger, and their muscle, their rebounder, to help out ARD, etc. And the praise from game to game, from all different sources, was making him play harder, and he was getting more notice, and it was a cycle of positive reinforcement.

The next year, the Odom year, he was still kind of in that same role, and decided he was homesick and went back to Germany mid way through. But for that Elite 8 season, he was a key cog in the machine.
Last edited by jcru 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

jcru wrote: 5 months ago

This made me laugh out loud, because you're right. And at Stop n Shop, I can probably even do a least half that on the self serve.
My wife came by, looking over my shoulder, and read it after my reply to you and said "truth".
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 months ago Regarding Fuchs maybe we oughtta stop killing the kid. We’ve seen plenty worse around these parts.

Just a thought…

OK, point taken. Not sure we are killing the kid. Wanna see killing? Reference to Bassey.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 months ago Regarding Fuchs maybe we oughtta stop killing the kid. We’ve seen plenty worse around these parts.

Just a thought…
I don’t really think we’re crushing him too hard.

And yes, there’s been MUCH worse.
1 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I think Archie is taking the right approach with Cam. Ease him into the game so he is comfortable. Cam is stepping up. Really like his game for a freshman. He is launching 3's from distance . His defense is pretty good as well.
4 x
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

Unread post by JFrech21 »

section(105) wrote: 5 months ago

Just a thought…

OK, point taken. Not sure we are killing the kid. Wanna see killing? Reference to Bassey.
Exactly, everyone here told me Bassy wasn’t a D1 PG.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

JFrech21 wrote: 5 months ago
section(105) wrote: 5 months ago

Just a thought…

Exactly, everyone here told me Bassy wasn’t a D1 PG.
He certainly wasn’t here last year. And he wouldn’t play over anyone in our backcourt except for maybe Dubsky. And that’s a reach. Dubsky can at least shoot.

Maybe he’s a guy who needed 2 years of Juco or maybe he’s a guy who will thrive under lesser competition.

But he never belonged at the A10 level. How’s that.

As for Fuchs - the problem as many have pointed out is effort. I think it’s fair to kill a guy who’s getting paid and on scholarship for not trying.

And if you’ve been following the trend of slow starts, there’s a funny commonality with our starting lineup that was noticeably absent from the beginning of the 2nd half tonight that sparked the run.

Archie talked a lot about it during the presser, so I think that problem will fix itself going forward. If you don’t try or you don’t play the right way you won’t play.

If we get Green I’d expect Fuchs minutes to drop to 5-10 instead of the 10-12 I think he’ll get going forward.
Last edited by Blue Man 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Just got home and finally got to read the game thread. It's funny how fast the tide turns on here. Definitely entertaining reading. Give Archie credit. He changed his starting lineup in the second half and it worked to perfection. Don't think we've seen that type of adjustment in years. I echo all the positives that have been stated. Hopefully this is the beginning of the kids jelling as a team, knowing their roles, accepting them and giving max effort while on the court. It was cool how loud it got in there when they started their comeback. Us old farts can scream with the best of them if you give us reasons to. Entertaining game and great comeback. Let's see more of this. Keep the up tempo game going. It's when we are at our best.
3 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Better yet...if you're going to post about year-2 vs. year-1, why don't folks wait until the actual END of year-2 to pass judgment on it. Instead, every single shot in every single half of every single game is a referendum on Player x and Archie as a coach. For goodness sake, let it play out.

Feel free to comment on a game, what you saw, where there were struggles and where there were positives. But it's a long season. Try not to declare absolutes. Let the season and players' careers evolve.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Just got back to the hotel after the game and dinner at Matunick Oyster Bar.
What a great day.

The team showed a lot of heart after coming off another slow start in the first half.
I think this win will go a long way in building their confidence level.
I do like Archie, going to a smaller line-up, the team seemed more energized starting the 2nd half.
We shot a very efficient 54% FG in the 2nd half.
For the game outrebounded them 40-26, 15 assists to 10 turnovers, and only a total of 9 PF for the game.

Need to use this game as a springboard in going forward.

Anyway, a great way to end this long holiday weekend.
4 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

Just a thought…
He is way better than a top 100 recruit we had JH
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Hot-ish take

I’d take Sebastian Thomas over Wright on this team.
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago Well it's over
Well...instead

We found our TESTICLES

RHODY IS BACK
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago Hot-ish take

Gotta respond. No, no, and no. Don’t wanna start a debate here. Your opine is fine , but no.
6 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Let's keep in mind that Fuchs is a Freshman. It's a good sign in general that Archie thinks enough of him as a Freshman to have him in the line up. He's going to have his problems and struggles, but I have no doubt that with the help of the coaching staff and another year of work, he'll become a much better player.
Last edited by The Dude 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
6 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Regarding Fuchs, Just some spec on my part as I come down off the high of todays comeback…

I think Archie really likes Fuchs, his game and is intrigued by his potential so he decided to put him to the test and gave him as much leash as possible early on to prove he could step right in and play well. Therefore, I think Arch took a chance or calculated risk on him early on with Bilau out.

But, he just is not ready for that role yet due to reasons like maturity, cultural adjustment, confidence, basketball IQ development and realism of the speed and athleticism of some the better players he has faced 3 of the last 4 games.

Now with Bilau able to play, Archie can give Fuchs an opportunity to reset and progress normally.

Just spit-balling as I have no inside info.

That said, if he sticks around ( I say if because I consider foreign students flight risks to go back home ), I think he can develop into a good inside presence for us. He has the physical tools to develop into that for us and shows flashes but I think it is the maturity and cultural acclimation pieces that are key for him to reach the potential Archie envisions.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

My hands hurt from clapping so hard. My throat hurts from yelling so loud. I haven't felt this good in a while.
6 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rhodyram22 wrote: 5 months ago
It was LOUD in there though!
Yes! Some of us old fogies CAN make a lot of noise!
2 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago Hot-ish take

Neither will play a big role
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 5 months ago
Better yet...if you're going to post about year-2 vs. year-1, why don't folks wait until the actual END of year-2 to pass judgment on it. Instead, every single shot in every single half of every single game is a referendum on Player x and Archie as a coach. For goodness sake, let it play out.

Feel free to comment on a game, what you saw, where there were struggles and where there were positives. But it's a long season. Try not to declare absolutes. Let the season and players' careers evolve.
SPOILER ALERT

If they come out playing as crappy next game as they did in the first quarter half of this game. I'm probably going to just cut & paste the same comment in the in-game thread.

Try not to act surprised.
Last edited by jcru 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 months ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 months ago We’ll win today

We are contenders this year and not pretenders

NO DOUBT !

[media] [/media]
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago Small sample size but Weston is 6 of 7 from three and the 1 he missed was all but in…and out. Struggles to find his own shot tho which is a concern. Would love Archie to run stuff to find him looks bc I like his shot.

The issue with Always is he is almost zero threat to score. Any old timers remember Carlos Easterling who was effective but had a ceiling bc he was not a threat to score. Against better competition that weakness stands out more. It’s hidden against less formidable comp.

For today…Bilau makes an impact, Jaden gets some of his mojo back, Zek is Zek. Rhody wins. Manifest it!
Yeah. Personally, I think Always is a liability. He does well against weak competition, but when he played against legitimate talent, he couldn't do a thing. Some may criticize me for saying this, but I believe Bassy was a better guard off the bench. Ways could develop, but Hammond should be ahead of him the moment he arrives. If he's not, then he's not as good as we thought.

Weston still has plenty of upside, and he's clearly a better player than last year. If he stays healthy, I think he'll be one of our most consistent players and earn more minutes. The more our bigs get abused, I believe Archie will go smaller with Weston and Zek.
As I posted earlier today, I'd take Bassy over Ways. But in my opinion, both aren't A10-level guards. Cam and Hammond are the future backcourt.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Next game is Providence.

What's the Massey prediction for us having a half like we just had against Yale, to start the game this time?
0 x