11/26 | Yale | 4:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 11/26 | Yale | 4:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Jersey77 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 5 months ago
KingstonLane wrote: 5 months ago
ramster wrote: 5 months ago

So again,
Why did so many go Ga-ga over Weston and you and Kingston Lane say nothing but when I mention Fuchs and Wright you admonish me.
And again,
How do you know what Miller and staff think? Do you honestly believe the efforts of players and non efforts of players go unnoted because it's J&W?
And if the game means absolutely nothing then why play it? Seriously, why play it?

Look back at the J&W thread and see how many posters made observations and drew conclusions. Without going back I'd bet you and Kingstown Lane made some yourselves. That's your homework assignment.
Because Weston played well against CCSU in the first game of the season. Played serviceable then against Fairfield in the 2nd game too. And already showed last year he’s capable of competing against A10 opponents

I have full confidence in Weston and didn’t need to see him prove it again

I’m happy he’s healthy more than anything else.
Weston proved very little in A-10 play last year. He made a few nice plays but nothing consistent. I'm still not sure he is a winning player. He was the only scholarship player not to earn a start last season. End of the season, he was still wandering outside the pac line covering players who did not have the ball. He has some physical gifts but has a lot to prove. I hope like the rest of the fan base he balls out this year but am not expecting it.
The jury is still out for me regarding Weston, but I do expect a big jump for him. Remember this is still only his 2nd season playing and his progression has been slowed by previous multiple injury issues.
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

DeanDome88 wrote: 5 months ago

So again,
Why did so many go Ga-ga over Weston and you and Kingston Lane say nothing but when I mention Fuchs and Wright you admonish me.
And again,
How do you know what Miller and staff think? Do you honestly believe the efforts of players and non efforts of players go unnoted because it's J&W?
And if the game means absolutely nothing then why play it? Seriously, why play it?

Look back at the J&W thread and see how many posters made observations and drew conclusions. Without going back I'd bet you and Kingstown Lane made some yourselves. That's your homework assignment.
Because Weston played well against CCSU in the first game of the season. Played serviceable then against Fairfield in the 2nd game too. And already showed last year he’s capable of competing against A10 opponents

I have full confidence in Weston and didn’t need to see him prove it again

I’m happy he’s healthy more than anything else.
Weston proved very little in A-10 play last year. He made a few nice plays but nothing consistent. I'm still not sure he is a winning player. He was the only scholarship player not to earn a start last season. End of the season, he was still wandering outside the pac line covering players who did not have the ball. He has some physical gifts but has a lot to prove. I hope like the rest of the fan base he balls out this year but am not expecting it.
I might just have lower and more realistic expectations for him than most in this board. He averaged 5 ppg as a freshmen.

This year if he can average 7.5-10 off the bench as your 6th/7th man that’s very serviceable to me.

He doesn’t need to be, and isn’t, a starter for us
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago Can’t draw many conclusions when you’re playing against a team with a bunch of RIIL public schools kids.
Except the former C East Bolt was the best player in the gym…
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago Can’t draw many conclusions when you’re playing against a team with a bunch of RIIL public schools kids.
Except the former C East Bolt was the best player in the gym…
Would be hilarious if he scores the most out of any player we play against rest of season.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Small sample size but Weston is 6 of 7 from three and the 1 he missed was all but in…and out. Struggles to find his own shot tho which is a concern. Would love Archie to run stuff to find him looks bc I like his shot.

The issue with Always is he is almost zero threat to score. Any old timers remember Carlos Easterling who was effective but had a ceiling bc he was not a threat to score. Against better competition that weakness stands out more. It’s hidden against less formidable comp.

For today…Bilau makes an impact, Jaden gets some of his mojo back, Zek is Zek. Rhody wins. Manifest it!
4 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago Small sample size but Weston is 6 of 7 from three and the 1 he missed was all but in…and out. Struggles to find his own shot tho which is a concern. Would love Archie to run stuff to find him looks bc I like his shot.

The issue with Always is he is almost zero threat to score. Any old timers remember Carlos Easterling who was effective but had a ceiling bc he was not a threat to score. Against better competition that weakness stands out more. It’s hidden against less formidable comp.

For today…Bilau makes an impact, Jaden gets some of his mojo back, Zek is Zek. Rhody wins. Manifest it!
Yeah. Personally, I think Always is a liability. He does well against weak competition, but when he played against legitimate talent, he couldn't do a thing. Some may criticize me for saying this, but I believe Bassy was a better guard off the bench. Ways could develop, but Hammond should be ahead of him the moment he arrives. If he's not, then he's not as good as we thought.

Weston still has plenty of upside, and he's clearly a better player than last year. If he stays healthy, I think he'll be one of our most consistent players and earn more minutes. The more our bigs get abused, I believe Archie will go smaller with Weston and Zek.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

During Archie recent interviews, he mentioned that he didn’t like the body language of some of his players. Weston is a prime culprit. His body language is terrible and it always has been. I don’t know if he can change it.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago Will the students show up tomorrow?
Bad day/time to get a true read on the state of student interest

Most kids went home for Thanksgiving and will be coming back tomorrow
It's always something...
Will the alumni show up today? Will South County residents show up today?

My guess is just like with the students we'll be able to say it's always something with those groups. Attendance has sucked and no one group has been immune from not showing up enough and no group has covered themselves in honor
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rhodyram22 wrote: 5 months ago

It's always something...
Dude, stop. This team hasn't been good since 2019, just cut it out with the negativity towards the students. They will show when the team wins more and more games.
Geesh. It's free. They get DD gift cards. They're making out. I've heard of fair weather fans when you have to pay large amounts for tickets, but not for free tickets and free stuff. I'll believe it when I see it if they start showing up when we win. And if they do that's the definition of a fair weather fan. If this program is going to be successful, the students have to start showing up. Otherwise, it's a vicious cycle of mediocrity or failure.
It's not free. They're paying hundreds of dollars a year, both in student activity fees that allow them those "free" tickets, but also to pay for the Ryan Center building costs.

Also, how generous, those "free" seats are the worst seats in the house when they're paying for courtside seats
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

KenPom gives the #193 Rams a 33% chance of beating #78 Yale, with a predicted final of 75-70

Massey Ratings gives the #163 Rams a 42% chance of beating #90 Yale, with predicted final of 70-67
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago
rhodyram22 wrote: 5 months ago

Dude, stop. This team hasn't been good since 2019, just cut it out with the negativity towards the students. They will show when the team wins more and more games.
Geesh. It's free. They get DD gift cards. They're making out. I've heard of fair weather fans when you have to pay large amounts for tickets, but not for free tickets and free stuff. I'll believe it when I see it if they start showing up when we win. And if they do that's the definition of a fair weather fan. If this program is going to be successful, the students have to start showing up. Otherwise, it's a vicious cycle of mediocrity or failure.
It's not free. They're paying hundreds of dollars a year, both in student activity fees that allow them those "free" tickets, but also to pay for the Ryan Center building costs.

Also, how generous, those "free" seats are the worst seats in the house when they're paying for courtside seats
Maybe if they knew how much they are paying, they'd go.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

RJRam wrote: 5 months ago During Archie recent interviews, he mentioned that he didn’t like the body language of some of his players. Weston is a prime culprit. His body language is terrible and it always has been. I don’t know if he can change it.
Fuchs too. Awful body language.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago

Bad day/time to get a true read on the state of student interest

Most kids went home for Thanksgiving and will be coming back tomorrow
It's always something...
Will the alumni show up today? Will South County residents show up today?

My guess is just like with the students we'll be able to say it's always something with those groups. Attendance has sucked and no one group has been immune from not showing up enough and no group has covered themselves in honor
Airlines, hotels, NBA Teams, NFL Teams..... most all do lots of customer surveys I'm filling them out often. They ask lots of questions from how did you arrive to the event, how did you depart from the event, rate the food, food service, price of food, variety of food offered, individuals to be recognized, etc etc
Always trying to improve the product.

URI Surveys??
Nope. None. Not after every game nor at end of season.
Get the feeling nobody cares, nobody wants to hear anything. Don't bother us.
-Ry-Fi non existent
-Inability to text, use phone provider
-No replays
-Music during timeouts and other breaks too loud
-Relatively expensive food and beverage for a college facility
-Speaker system hard to understand talking on microphone
-Black curtain press area that is ugly and 50 or less filled
-No Midnight Madness Event anymore for students only
-Same halftime entertainment year-in year-out
-No strong teams coming to Ryan Center in OOC play
-A10 ranked 12th compared to 7th best conference in past
-A10 struggling with NCAA Seeding and number of teams qualifying for post season play

Other than beer in seats I can't think of much that's improved over the past 5 years

It's a two way street between fans and the Ryan Center. But it doesn't travel very well.

There are reasons fans are buying season tickets and not showing up and reasons why fans are not buying tickets as in the past. Marketing surveys could help identify the areas of opportunity. Listening to the customer can work well.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago
reef wrote: 5 months ago I guess about 4K tomorrow give or take a couple thousand
“Give or take a couple thousand”

So you’re thinking we may get 2K, but also maybe 6K?

???
It's pretty clear Reef meant hundred and not thousand
Just a simple typo
I thought he was being facetious. I thought it was funny.

Reef! Come back and give us the verdict.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago Small sample size but Weston is 6 of 7 from three and the 1 he missed was all but in…and out. Struggles to find his own shot tho which is a concern. Would love Archie to run stuff to find him looks bc I like his shot.

Yeah. Personally, I think Always is a liability. He does well against weak competition, but when he played against legitimate talent, he couldn't do a thing. Some may criticize me for saying this, but I believe Bassy was a better guard off the bench. Ways could develop, but Hammond should be ahead of him the moment he arrives. If he's not, then he's not as good as we thought.

Weston still has plenty of upside, and he's clearly a better player than last year. If he stays healthy, I think he'll be one of our most consistent players and earn more minutes. The more our bigs get abused, I believe Archie will go smaller with Weston and Zek.
I have not given up on Always. Not saying he is a quality A 10 guard at this time, but, he still leads the team in assists (to’s way too high also) with less minutes , and has “energy” that some on the team seem to lack. When Rhody looked the best on Sunday, he was with Luis, Zek Weston and I believe Fou.
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

:D About 7 students here and 20 min until tip-off
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

We’ll win today

We are contenders this year and not pretenders
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Same starting line up

Meh
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Nolan out for Yale ?
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Perplexed why Archie keeps running this Fuchs set distributing from the top of the arch. It’s a turnover factory
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

What the heck is up with House ?!

C’mon man !
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Love leaving Fuchs in and taking Zek out 🤣
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Holy shit boys. Some effort on the defensive end my god. That was like 5 straight offensive rebounds
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Okay good

Now we finally have our best big in the game and four guards

Time to score finally
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Defense getting cooked on some of these Yale cuts to the hoop
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Yale very disciplined on both ends. Shooting 60%.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Yale might put up a hundy if we don’t start playing D and rebound.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Yale is good. Be nice if they could miss.

Archie's substitutions make no sense.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Anyone that thinks this Yale team isn’t legit is blind. We aren’t even playing that bad…

What does Foumena have to do to actually earn some minutes? How do you expect Foumena and Cam to get in any type of rhythm if you played them in small spurts? Fuchs and Brown do not deserve all these minutes over Foumena.

Archie says all the right things before and after games but it means jack shit if you get out coached against every tough team…
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Foumena needs to stop wasting possesions with a 3.
0 x
GO RAMS
rhodyram22
ARD

We just aren’t good. 14th in the A10 sounds about right.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Well it's over
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Yup. Yale is a good team and well coached. I didn’t think they were this good.

We are being outclassed this half.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Year #2 of the Archie era looks remarkably like year #1 of the Archie era
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 months ago Foumena needs to stop wasting possesions with a 3.
I mean he hit his first one…. He’s 1-2
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

1) Yale is good

2) Yale is playing insanely good tonight

3) our defense is a mess

4) if house can’t figure out how to play basketball again it’s going to be a long season
2 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

Yes, Yale is legit, they are scoring at will inside and outside and they move the ball well. We are disorganized on offense and slow and disinterested on defense. We are not just not a very good team, everything is a struggle and for some reason we are settling for 3's when clearly we have an advantage underneath.
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Being majorly out coached here. Need to see Archie work on the refs here as House is getting mauled when driving to the hoop. Give Weston and Estevez some more run here. Like Bilau’s energy.
1 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
URI_05
ARD

Unread post by URI_05 »

House is reminding me of bad Fatts today. Ball doesn’t leave his hand as he dribbled into the trees.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

jcru wrote: 5 months ago Year #2 of the Archie era looks remarkably like year #1 of the Archie era
2.5 mil…. He’s gotta do something next year…
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Cam hit a 3 and hasn’t seen the floor since…. It’s not like we’re playing any defense why not keep the kid in that can actually get hot and put up some pts…

Out coached out hustled. Ugly… get it under 10 by half….
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

House to Weston for three was a bright spot
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Shinze88 wrote: 5 months ago Yes, Yale is legit, they are scoring at will inside and outside and they move the ball well. We are disorganized on offense and slow and disinterested on defense. We are not just not a very good team, everything is a struggle and for some reason we are settling for 3's when clearly we have an advantage underneath.
The interest in defense looks fine. It just looks like they’re confused at the speed of ball movement and cuts. Running around with our heads cut off to try and keep up

We absolutely DO NOT have the advantage underneath. Takes 7ft big man is eating our lunch
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Montgomery with the three
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Embaronsing is first word coming to mind.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

jcru wrote: 5 months ago Montgomery with the three
Doesn’t matter we can’t stop them.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Does House have to go 0-20 for cam to get some minutes??
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Some signs of life here !

Show some pride, guys !

Yale clearly a better team. Surprised by Archie’s coaching. Hopefully we can show better in the second half - especially on D - and need to coach better.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

House looks like a high school player and Cam sits. Wtf Archie!!!

GO RHODY!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 5 months ago Some signs of life here !

Show some pride, guys !
Not intelligent life!
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund