11/26 | Yale | 4:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: 11/26 | Yale | 4:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by jcru »

Well, you may be touching on a totally different topic there, adam.

Let's have a show of hands: who here thinks that House is one of our two best players?

I guess if the majority has not established who the top two dogs on this team are, would explain why few find 11 players filtering into the game unusual.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Brown
Fuchs
Zek
House
Luis

Always
Cam
Fou
Weston

We have had a nine man rotation. That's not a lot...pretty normal stuff. Now we will have 10 with Bilau, but I'm not sure it's ever been that unusual to play 10 guys. Whether or not is a good or bad thing is relative to your roster.

Archie has also said in press conferences that he expects to wittle the rotation down over the course of the season.

Who do you bench?

Luis, Zek, House will start all year. Weston, Cam and Always won't get benched. They've earned playing time. Always less than them, but you need a back up PG. Bilau will take minutes from Brown and Fuchs. Unless Green they free Green, those four will play every game.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Will it shorten?

Against Northwestern, 10 people played
Against Washington St, 11 people played when Rory got in.

Now we have Bilau back, after those games.

Green has hinted towards onboarding sooner rather than later.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

jcru wrote: 5 months ago Well, you may be touching on a totally different topic there, adam.

Let's have a show of hands: who here thinks that House is one of our two best players?

I guess if the majority has not established who the top two dogs on this team are, would explain why few find 11 players filtering into the game unusual.
For sure House is one of our two best players. And 11 players were filtering in to the game with huge leads against CCSU, Fairfield and Wagner. Against NW and WSU only 8 guys got double digit minutes. I think that's pretty normal and closer to what we'll see as the competition picks up here the rest of the way.

There also will likely be a bit of a discrepancy between how the minutes shake out for our front court vs. our back court. House, Kortright and Zek are probably going to be getting 30+ the vast majority of the nights if the games are competitive (maybe Cam and Ways push Kortright for some more minutes as the season goes on). But the front court is pretty inexperienced and Archie is still trying to find the right rotation at the 4 and the 5, but even that will likely tighten up as conference play comes around.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 5 months ago Will it shorten?

Against Northwestern, 10 people played
Against Washington St, 11 people played when Rory got in.

Now we have Bilau back, after those games.

Green has hinted towards onboarding sooner rather than later.
You have to look at the minutes.

We played a bunch of guys all game long against JW because that's what you do against a D3 team.

Against WSU we played nine guys significant minutes. Always only played 7. Fuchs played 15. So we mostly rolled with 7 players.

Against NW we basically played 8 guys, with hobbled Weston playing only 4 minutes.

Garbage time Rory minutes dont count.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Speaking of minutes played, do you know that Jiggy Williamson once averaged 38 minutes per game for a season? He would have averaged 40, but came out in blowouts and maybe played 35 minutes in those games bringing his average down. I know this isn't relevant to this thread, but I always plug my favorite Ram whenever I can. :D :D :D
Last edited by Billyboy78 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah I mean how are you going to include guys that played 1 minute and say "11 players filtering in to the game".
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago Brown
Fuchs
Zek
House
Luis

Always
Cam
Fou
Weston

We have had a nine man rotation. That's not a lot...pretty normal stuff. Now we will have 10 with Bilau, but I'm not sure it's ever been that unusual to play 10 guys. Whether or not is a good or bad thing is relative to your roster.

Archie has also said in press conferences that he expects to wittle the rotation down over the course of the season.

Who do you bench?

Luis, Zek, House will start all year. Weston, Cam and Always won't get benched. They've earned playing time. Always less than them, but you need a back up PG. Bilau will take minutes from Brown and Fuchs. Unless Green they free Green, those four will play every game.
I admit, I was more for the principle of it, and not for the specifics of how to do it. I just know watching people running into and out of the game, especially when we are losing, does not pass the eye test. It's ugly.

I guess if you held my feet to the fire, I would say:

Fuchs is no longer a starter. He is a good rebounder and should come off the bench, but that's it. Playing him like he was a savior was a mistake.

Kortright
House
Montgomery
Weston (if he continues the upward trend)
Bilau or Brown

bench
Cam
Foumena
Dubsky or Always

That's 9 players. I would try to get an analysis of how effective Bilau is going to be, and then start downsizing one of the frontcourt players if Bilau is capable of performing like he did pre injury.

I would also start to decide on downsizing one of the guards. Either Dubsky or Always. And that is coming from someone who was initially critical of Kortright. I think Kortight can provide the most consistently. I think Cam is a keeper, so long as they can keep him. It may be time to decide if Dubsky can be a consistent outside threat who can come in for a few mins, or if Always is better as a backup PG.

I know I am going to take flak for this position, but I don't think the current substitution pattern is healthy for winning games. I am more ruthless than Archie is, obviously, the Fuchs experiment would just about be over for me based on the last few games. instead of anointing him some sort of polished offensive player, they should have had him come in contrite like Arigbabu so many years ago, and establish himself as a minutes guy who is a banger down low and collects key rebounds at discrete moments of the game to spell other frontcourt players.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 5 months ago
jcru wrote: 5 months ago Well, you may be touching on a totally different topic there, adam.

For sure House is one of our two best players. And 11 players were filtering in to the game with huge leads against CCSU, Fairfield and Wagner. Against NW and WSU only 8 guys got double digit minutes. I think that's pretty normal and closer to what we'll see as the competition picks up here the rest of the way.

There also will likely be a bit of a discrepancy between how the minutes shake out for our front court vs. our back court. House, Kortright and Zek are probably going to be getting 30+ the vast majority of the nights if the games are competitive (maybe Cam and Ways push Kortright for some more minutes as the season goes on). But the front court is pretty inexperienced and Archie is still trying to find the right rotation at the 4 and the 5, but even that will likely tighten up as conference play comes around.
I'll add that the flow of the game dictates that too. If guys are sucking they'll get pulled. Brown never saw the floor the last 16 minutes.

The rotation will surely shrink if Brown and Fuchs continue to stink it up. They'll only get in there when there's foul trouble at this rate.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago Speaking of minutes played, do you know that Jiggy Williamson once averaged 38 minutes per game for a season? He would have averaged 40, but came out in blowouts and maybe played 35 minutes in those games bringing his average down. I know this isn't relevant to this thread, but I always plug my favorite Ram whenever I can. :D :D :D
Pappy did the same.Silk was always on the floor too. Even as recently as '18-'19, Jeff played tons of minutes. Different times, I guess,
AVERAGE MINUTES PLAYED SEASON
NO NAME SEASON
1. 38.0 Jiggy Williamson 1975-76
2. 38.0 Horace Owens 1981-82
3. 37.4 Carlton Owens 1982-83
4. 37.3 Curtis Whiting 1981-82
5. 37.2 Jiggy Williamson 1976-77
6. 37.0 Kenny Green 1989-90
7. 36.9 Carlton Owens 1988-89
8. 36.5 Jeff Dowtin 2018-19
9. 36.3 Eric Leslie 1989-90
10. 36.2 Mike Powell 2012-13
11. 35.9 Horace Owens 1982-83
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 5 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago Brown
Fuchs
Zek
House
Luis

Always
Cam
Fou
Weston

Who do you bench?

I admit, I was more for the principle of it, and not for the specifics of how to do it. I just know watching people running into and out of the game, especially when we are losing, does not pass the eye test. It's ugly.

I guess if you held my feet to the fire, I would say:

Fuchs is no longer a starter. He is a good rebounder and should come off the bench, but that's it. Playing him like he was a savior was a mistake.

Kortright
House
Montgomery
Weston (if he continues the upward trend)
Bilau or Brown

bench
Cam
Foumena
Dubsky or Always

That's 9 players. I would try to get an analysis of how effective Bilau is going to be, and then start downsizing one of the frontcourt players if Bilau is capable of performing like he did pre injury.

I would also start to decide on downsizing one of the guards. Either Dubsky or Always. And that is coming from someone who was initially critical of Kortright. I think Kortight can provide the most consistently. I think Cam is a keeper, so long as they can keep him. It may be time to decide if Dubsky can be a consistent outside threat who can come in for a few mins, or if Always is better as a backup PG.

I know I am going to take flak for this position, but I don't think the current substitution pattern is healthy for winning games. I am more ruthless than Archie is, obviously, the Fuchs experiment would just about be over for me based on the last few games. instead of anointing him some sort of polished offensive player, they should have had him come in contrite like Arigbabu so many years ago, and establish himself as a minutes guy who is a banger down low and collects key rebounds at discrete moments of the game to spell other frontcourt players.
I dont think Connor has a place in the lineup at all and Always is needed as a back up PG.

Unless Green is allowed to play, I think we will see Brown and Fuchs all year. Even if Bilau and Fou are entrenched as the top two bigs, they'll pick up fouls. Hopefully Brown and Fuchs get it together though...that would help.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm going to copy cat Hurley here. But using his box score from the Texas game as a guide, I would have:

House 39 mins
Montgomery 37 mins
Kortright 30 mins
Weston 29 mins
combination of two low post players for 30 min, if Bilau can not go for 30 mins post injury

and Cam off the bench for 25 mins

And then the rest of the story just sort of writes itself. I'm a statistics guy at heart, so there are only so many mins left after that to go around, divvy them up between 2-3 more players.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago Speaking of minutes played, do you know that Jiggy Williamson once averaged 38 minutes per game for a season? He would have averaged 40, but came out in blowouts and maybe played 35 minutes in those games bringing his average down. I know this isn't relevant to this thread, but I always plug my favorite Ram whenever I can. :D :D :D
Pappy did the same.Silk was always on the floor too. Even as recently as '18-'19, Jeff played tons of minutes. Different times, I guess,
NO NAME SEASON
I wish I had been around to see guys like Jiggy and Pappy. Seeing Mike Powell on there at 36.2 per game is traumatizing. :lol:
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

adam914 wrote: 5 months ago Yeah I mean how are you going to include guys that played 1 minute and say "11 players filtering in to the game".
Hey, at least I didn't say "14 players filtering in to the game" when 14 players saw time against J&W.

I just mentioned Northeastern and Washington St because those were supposed to be examples of highly serious games we have played.

And that was before we got Bilau back.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 5 months ago Yeah I mean how are you going to include guys that played 1 minute and say "11 players filtering in to the game".
Hey, at least I didn't say "14 players filtering in to the game" when 14 players saw time against J&W.

I just mentioned Northeastern and Washington St because those were supposed to be examples of highly serious games we have played.

Right, that's why I keep referencing those two games to. And in those two games we had a pretty small rotation. Like I said, against NW and WSU only 8 guys got double digit minutes. Basically exactly what you're asking for, I guess with maybe the exception that House should get more than 31 minutes.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NO NAME SEASON
I wish I had been around to see guys like Jiggy and Pappy. Seeing Mike Powell on there at 36.2 per game is traumatizing. :lol:
The one that shocked me is Kenny Green playing 37 per game with those horrible knees. That was his senior year.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NO NAME SEASON
The one that shocked me is Kenny Green playing 37 per game with those horrible knees. That was his senior year.
Yeah, and Powell at 36.2 shows you how down the program was at the time before Dan brought us back.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Right, that's why I keep referencing those two games to. And in those two games we had a pretty small rotation. Like I said, against NW and WSU only 8 guys got double digit minutes. Basically exactly what you're asking for, I guess with maybe the exception that House should get more than 31 minutes.
Well, that's close to what I am asking for. I'm also asking for some people to not play at all, to actually make the rotation 8-9 players, maybe 9-10 including Bilau. And I'm definitely asking for one particular player to get his minutes reduced and to not be a starter anymore.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

NO NAME SEASON
78, I was surprised not to see Tommy Garrick on the list.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I see no issue with a 10 man rotation. If that were to be the case, it would signal to me that we have a deep team with players that are consistently raising their level of play, in Archie's eyes, and earning their time on the floor. In addition, as a season wears on that means if a guy or two goes down from injury they'll be just fine and if they all stay healthy they'll still be fresh and can wear down teams late in the season. It would be a win win for URI, in my opinion.
If some guys don't show they can be relied on, Archie won't have them on the floor, and he'll pair down the rotation. That's how I see it.
It's also possible that a coach like Archie may say things at times to light a fire under the ass of some players.
3 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Best player is Montgomery. Looked that way this spring when he transferred from Bradley and their fans were sad to see him go. Surprised he has only 1 steal thru 6 games, think he is capable of creating havoc on the defensive end. He does have 3 blocks.
2nd best player TBD for me. and it is not House.

Example JCRU of the lower number of players line up is Chris Caputo's George Washington. GW went to 5-0 last night beating Ohio U in double OT.. Ohio was favored by 5.5

GW plays UIC tonight at 7pm in Nassau

Played only 8 guys with one player receiving only 7 minutes. Starting center fouled out in 19 minutes.

Starter Minutes:
19-Akingbola - Fouled out. Senior - Transfer from Auburn
19-Autry - Freshman
40-Johnson - Freshman
44-Edwards - Sophomore - Last season A10 All Rookie
46-Bishop IV - Senior

Subs
41-Buchanan - Freshman
34-Hutchinson - Freshman
7-Schroeder - Sophomoree Transfer from Oklahoma
Last edited by ramster 5 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 5 months ago

Best player is Montgomery. Looked that way this spring when he transferred from Bradley and their fans were sad to see him go. Surprised he has only 1 steal thru 6 games, think he is capable of creating havoc on the defensive end. He does have 3 blocks.
2nd best player TBD for me. and it is not House.

Example of the lower number of players line up is Chris Caputo's George Washington. GW went to 5-0 last night beating Ohio U in double OT.. Ohio was favored by 5.5

GW plays UIC tonight at 7pm in Nassau

Played only 8 with one receiving only 7 minutes. Starting center fouled out in 19 minutes.

Starter Minutes:
19-Akingbola - Fouled out. Senior - Transfer from Auburn
19-Autry - Freshman
40-Johnson - Freshman
44-Edwards - Sophomore - Last season A10 All Rookie
46-Bishop IV - Senior

Subs
41-Buchanan - Freshman
34-Hutchinson - Freshman
7-Schroeder - Sophomoree Transfer from Oklahoma
GW did go small much of the time especially with their center in foul trouble. But forward Buchanan is built like a linebacker.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago
jcru wrote: 5 months ago That's not moving the goal posts very far. 30+ mins, ok.

But their two best players: 39 and 37 mins, practically every min. 6 players with very close to 30. And no more than 8 players total.

You have to move the goal posts a lot further along to prove your point. Let's get realistic here, 15.
lol I didn't move goalposts one aota.

You said we should play all our starters 30+ minutes.

I said I doubt most team play all starters 30+.

Blueram told me to “do my own research”

Took 3 minutes to look up all A10 teams and Top 25 teams.

ZERO teams with 5 starters average 30+ minutes.

People just hate to admit when I’m right, which is fine.
People have agreed with you plenty of times. You are the one who refuses to admit when others are right, especially when you call them out, and they prove you wrong. Also, can you go one week without being rude or bragging about yourself being right? A week is probably too long.. How about this weekend? Just try to only talk Rhody hoops without policing everyone's posts, and if you are right, we don't need to hear about it repeatedly...
5 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago
jcru wrote: 5 months ago That's not moving the goal posts very far. 30+ mins, ok.

But their two best players: 39 and 37 mins, practically every min. 6 players with very close to 30. And no more than 8 players total.

You have to move the goal posts a lot further along to prove your point. Let's get realistic here, 15.

People have agreed with you plenty of times. You are the one who refuses to admit when others are right, especially when you call them out, and they prove you wrong. Also, can you go one week without being rude or bragging about yourself being right? A week is probably too long.. How about this weekend? Just try to only talk Rhody hoops without policing everyone's posts, and if you are right, we don't need to hear about it repeatedly...
Humility? Zero chance, zero.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Speaking of minutes, came on hear to read about Yale, but the "who's right about minutes, and must pick apart and bash 15, who must then defend himself" convo was tl;dr....can we get a summary? Oh, and any useful info on "Yale | 4:00PM (ESPN+)" would be cool, too ;)
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Should be plenty of good seats available

Best Team we will host at the Ryan Center this season from among OOC Teams and very possibly from among A10 Teams as well
IMG_1125.png
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I said in another post I’ve been wrong before here and will be wrong in the future.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 months ago Speaking of minutes, came on hear to read about Yale, but the "who's right about minutes, and must pick apart and bash 15, who must then defend himself" convo was tl;dr....can we get a summary? Oh, and any useful info on "Yale | 4:00PM (ESPN+)" would be cool, too ;)
Quick summary

Jcru said we should play all starters 30+ mins

I said I doubt many teams do that

BlueRam told me to do my own research

Took 3 minutes and saw zero A10 and Top 25 teams play all starters 30+ mins

Jcru then changed his argument completely and changed the goalposts
1 x
Go Rhody
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

jcru wrote: 5 months ago In any case, I liked it better when Harrick was "old school" like apparently Dan Hurley is and had 8 established players he goes to war with, and the rest of the team looked longingly on from the bench and daydreamed, hey, that could be me one day.

Sure beats the hodge podge, helter skelter we watched all last season and a couple of games already this season.
I agree with you, and yes it is year two, but it is early and we have an entirely new team, with injured guys coming back and so forth. At some point I agree we need to see a tightened up rotation. But early in the year you need to see what guys can do in game time situations against a variety of opponents. Are you ready to give up on Weston or House or Cam to preserve a shorter rotation? Are you giving up on a couple bigs to insert Bilau, or to go small? It just seems far too early for that kind of decision making.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

And in this age guys don't "look longingly from the bench", they transfer.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

To places like Albany, yes.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 months ago Speaking of minutes, came on hear to read about Yale, but the "who's right about minutes, and must pick apart and bash 15, who must then defend himself" convo was tl;dr....can we get a summary? Oh, and any useful info on "Yale | 4:00PM (ESPN+)" would be cool, too ;)
Quick summary

Seeing how you are the KING nit picker on this site, I thought maybe you would like the entire quote:

“And the starters should expect to play starting minutes: 30+ mins a game, and the substitutes should feel privleged to get into the game, and make the most of their minutes.”

Key word being “expect”. NOT Archie should mandatorily start doing this ASAP or else.

You jumped all over me because I included a + sign to that 30.

To me, that meant 30 mins, and for some, or a couple or like 2-3 of those players, a lot more than just 30 mins. That’s what the plus meant, in my mind. But you don’t care nor bother to ask me to clarify my statement, you just see it as an opportunity to make yourself feel good at my expense.

At that point, I was winding you up, because you take this stuff, WAY too seriously, young man. Lol
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

jcru wrote: 5 months ago To places like Albany, yes.
I hear you, but sometimes they go to places like Kentucky. Don't think we have any Toppins on the roster, but I think we need to see some more of these guys before burying them on the bench for the sake of a tight rotation. Especially since it sure looks like that while we are improving, we are still rebuilding.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 5 months ago

78, I was surprised not to see Tommy Garrick on the list.
He was close.... 35.5 his senior year.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I have no issues with what Miller has done so far this year.

Agree and I’ve said so multiple times Montgomery is our best player and it’s not even close.

Estevez could already be no 2….
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 5 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago
The situations that Harrick and Archie walked into couldn't be any different.

Do you remember last year? We couldn't have possibly figured out a top 8 players when half were injured and then Bray was a head case.

Freshman also develop throughout the season. Rory was better later in the year so he got more playing time.

The only freshman Harrick had to play was Lamar Odom lol

Archie also played about 8 or 9 players all year last year.
1. Well, understood, but I'm talking about this year. Last year, ok. This year, end to end, tinkering with the lineup?

2. I didn't really think Rory was any better at the end of the year. He got more playing time, that didn't mean he was better. In some ways, he regressed.

3. Odom wasn't available Harrick's first year. The rotation was:

Wheeler
Mobley
Josh King
Reynolds-Dean
Luther Clay

bench:
Murphy
David Arigbabu
maybe one other player currently slipping my mind. That might have been it: 7 players, Elite 8 showing

I understand that this is a complete rebuild, with a brand new roster, both years, but even Al Skinner had these guys playing all_the_time. There were definitive starters like Wheeler and ARD. The substitutions were kept to a minimum.

The way they do things now days, you would think everyone is starting material. Like one homogenous team. And they aren't. And the starters should expect to play starting minutes: 30+ mins a game, and the substitutes should feel privleged to get into the game, and make the most of their minutes.
Probably the best post of the year.
You would like this game JCRU.......

Jacksonville playing at Robert Morris in Pittsburgh.
Both Benches clear and they all get thrown out for leaving the bench - this leaves only the 5 starters from each team to play. No substitutions!!

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/
Last edited by ramster 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Spook5365
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Spook5365 »

Jiggy averaged 38 mins a game and would be all pissed off when pulled for the 1-2 mins 😂
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Quick summary

Seeing how you are the KING nit picker on this site, I thought maybe you would like the entire quote:

“And the starters should expect to play starting minutes: 30+ mins a game, and the substitutes should feel privleged to get into the game, and make the most of their minutes.”

Key word being “expect”. NOT Archie should mandatorily start doing this ASAP or else.

You jumped all over me because I included a + sign to that 30.

To me, that meant 30 mins, and for some, or a couple or like 2-3 of those players, a lot more than just 30 mins. That’s what the plus meant, in my mind. But you don’t care nor bother to ask me to clarify my statement, you just see it as an opportunity to make yourself feel good at my expense.

At that point, I was winding you up, because you take this stuff, WAY too seriously, young man. Lol
Go Rhody, beat Yale.
1 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Well played.
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

I really hope Green can get his waiver approved. Imagine if we can get him and Bilau 100% ready for conference play?
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rhodyram22 wrote: 5 months ago I really hope Green can get his waiver approved. Imagine if we can get him and Bilau 100% ready for conference play?
We'd be a totally different team.
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

rhodyram22 wrote: 5 months ago I really hope Green can get his waiver approved. Imagine if we can get him and Bilau 100% ready for conference play?
Yup. I think the commentators on ESPN said Green is our best player as well, so it's not just Archie hyping him up. He played 6 games last year, so SURELY the NCAA can let him play 2nd semester. Would be bullshit imo if he has to sit an entire year.
3 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

ramster wrote: 5 months ago
Jacksonville playing at Robert Morris in Pittsburgh.
Both Benches clear and they all get thrown out for leaving the bench - this leaves only the 5 starters from each team to play. No substitutions!!
Wow…I didn’t watch the game, but that seems pretty nit-picky.
All the players were already on the floor because it was a timeout. And it didn’t appear that too many of them were full-on brawling.

The refs clearly had to establish control, but ejecting 25 players?

Anyway, at least there was only 6:22 left.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodyram22 wrote: 5 months ago
Yup. I think the commentators on ESPN said Green is our best player as well, so it's not just Archie hyping him up. He played 6 games last year, so SURELY the NCAA can let him play 2nd semester. Would be bullshit imo if he has to sit an entire year.
Green hasn’t been Hyped up as much as Fuchs as by Archie.

“One of the best freshman in the country” and “one of the best freshman in the A10” have been said about Fuchs.

Few people here ate that up just because Archie said it.

Those were ridiculous expectations, we’re seeing now that most likely won’t happen.
1 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

“One of the best freshman in the country” and “one of the best freshman in the A10” have been said about Fuchs.

Those were ridiculous expectations, we’re seeing now that most likely won’t happen.
Green would be our first or second most impactful player. 1A and 1B with Montgomery. He does two things well that we need- hits the wing/corner 3 and rebounds. He’s also a vocal guy and in the practice I saw along with Luis was the most close to a team leader in regards to the intangibles.
Last edited by bigappleram 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Agree completely. I think Montgomery is by far our my consistent player and House has that Fatts in him where he can go off. Look at Green’s stats on three years at smaller conferences. He did nothing. Could he help the team? I’m sure he could be a contributor, but to say he makes the this team completely different is too much. Green is no excuse for this team’s success one way or the other. They need to develop the guys they have and keep bringing in better players next year and weeding out the guys that don’t belong
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago

Green would be our first or second most impactful player. 1A and 1B. He does two things well that we need- hits the wing/corner 3 and rebounds. He’s also a vocal guy and in the practice I saw along with Luis was the most close to a team leader in regards to the intangibles.
Yea all I can go off of is what I saw in the scrimmage where he did very well.

I was just saying I don’t think Archie hyped him up as much as he did with Fuchs.
0 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Ya, Archie hasn't hyped up anyone as much as he did Fuchs. Due to the expectations, I would always ask fans, media, players, and staff who watched practices about Fuchs, and they would say Fuchs was a monster and built like a vet, but Green was the name that was always brought up as one of the players standing out.

I would say Archie calling Green the X factor is a big expectation, though.

Regarding the "X-FACTOR" question from the Almanac, Archie said it's David Green. He believes that Green would have a "massive impact."

Archie said "He’s that complementary power forward that can stretch the floor. We’re giving him more freedom this year to play, and he’s been more capable than we imagined. He’s a very good rebounder and defender and is the key ingredient to what we’re doing.”

I know it's tough for you to believe it, but it is possible that Green is going to be one of our better players, and he'll help this team. And if he's not, I'm sure you'll love it, but that doesn't change the fact that he was standing out in practices this offseason. He was also $$ in the scrimmage and looked fantastic. All we can do is go off what he's done so far. Clearly, Archie can overhype his guys like a lot of coaches do, but I think it's reasonable to have high expectations for Green. I think he's a starter and at a minimum, he would be our 3rd option next to House and Zek.

Regarding Fuchs, why wouldn't we trust the head coach of our team when he says good things about Fuchs? Are you going to confront him and call him out because Fuchs isn't as good as he claimed so far? Or do you only do that behind a keyboard?
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodyram22
ARD

Oh yeah, idfk why Archie said that lmao. He's so far off from being one of the best freshman in the A10. I'm ready for him to prove us wrong :|
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Ya, Archie hasn't hyped up anyone as much as he did Fuchs. Due to the expectations, I would always ask fans, media, players, and staff who watched practices about Fuchs, and they would say Fuchs was a monster and built like a vet, but Green was the name that was always brought up as one of the players standing out.

I would say Archie calling Green the X factor is a big expectation, though.

Regarding the "X-FACTOR" question from the Almanac, Archie said it's David Green. He believes that Green would have a "massive impact."

Archie said "He’s that complementary power forward that can stretch the floor. We’re giving him more freedom this year to play, and he’s been more capable than we imagined. He’s a very good rebounder and defender and is the key ingredient to what we’re doing.”

I know it's tough for you to believe it, but it is possible that Green is going to be one of our better players, and he'll help this team. And if he's not, I'm sure you'll love it, but that doesn't change the fact that he was standing out in practices this offseason. He was also $$ in the scrimmage and looked fantastic. All we can do is go off what he's done so far. Clearly, Archie can overhype his guys like a lot of coaches do, but I think it's reasonable to have high expectations for Green. I think he's a starter and at a minimum, he would be our 3rd option next to House and Zek.

Regarding Fuchs, why wouldn't we trust the head coach of our team when he says good things about Fuchs? Are you going to confront him and call him out because Fuchs isn't as good as he claimed so far? Or do you only do that behind a keyboard?
Fuchs is definitely built like a grown man, I said he looked like an FBS linebacker at the scrimmage.

Green also looked tremendous in the scrimmage.

And yea, just based on his Zek’s looked and performed, I can’t say Green would be better.

House and Green probably rotate 2/3 options depending on who’s having the better game.

But yea, you’re right that I’d love if Green didn’t make an impact. I hope he’d be glued to the bench. Ya got me.

And I don’t just blindly believe everything my favorite teams’ coach says, I need to see it first.

One of the best freshman in the country/A10 is an extremely extremely high bar to put on a player.

I’m just not the type to believe anything and everything a coach says.

Some people do believe anything, some don't, need to wait and see. It is what it is.

Last thing, no idea why what you’re trying to prove with that last blurb. Yea I’m definitely gonna go up to Archie after the game or tweet at him asking about Fuchs. That’ll show him!
Last edited by Rhody15 5 months ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Go Rhody