North Carolina A & T (0-7) vs Campbell

Stony Brook (0-8)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Game 11 Football AT Towson 1pm Sat Nov 18 FloSports

Unread post by ramster »

URI goes for win number 7 Saturday at Towson

URI has finished 7-4 the past 2 years so this would represent a consistent 3 years with 7-4 records

Prior to this the last time URI won 7 or more games was in 2001 going 8-3

Since 1986 (38 years) we have had a .500 or winning record only 8 times with 4 of those winning records being the last 4 years:
1991 (6-5)
1995 (7-4)
2001 (8-3)
2018 (6-5)

2020 (2-1)
2021 (7-4)
2022 (7-4)
2023 (???)

IMG_0830.jpeg
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

#47 Jarrett Martin is listed as the starter at Safety against Towson!!

Last Saturday Martin tied with Safety Brent Jackson with 10 tackles (4 solo, 6 assisted), 1 tackle for loss and .5 sacks.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ramster wrote: 5 months ago URI goes for win number 7 Saturday at Towson

URI has finished 7-4 the past 2 years so this would represent a consistent 3 years with 7-4 records

Since 1986 (38 years) we have had a .500 or winning record only 8 times with 4 of those winning records being the last 4 years:
1991 (6-5)
1995 (7-4)
2001 (8-3)
2018 (6-5)

2020 (2-1)
2021 (7-4)
2022 (7-4)
2023 (???)

IMG_0830.jpeg
It's really quite the conundrum. Obviously Fleming has had more success than any coach we've had in the last 40 years and in theory with a massively renovated stadium on the horizon he, and the program, could be poised for another bump. 4 winning seasons in a row, 5 out of 6 is almost unprecedented here. URI football really shouldn't be in the business of showing a coach like that the door.

On the other hand, some posters here have talked about moving on, who knows who else feels that way. It does seem that Fleming has hit a ceiling which happens to be just shy of a playoff level team. He's also 64 now and you have to wonder A. how much he has left/how much longer he wants to do this and B. if he's capable of taking another step leading this program into a massively renovated stadium.

Complicating factors are no one outside of the program seems to know what his contract situation is and in theory now that the program isn't in the toilet and another investment is right on the horizon we should be a more attractive destination for future candidates. Also we are losing a ton of players, especially on offense. No matter who is in charge a massive rebuild is here and it's probably going to be 2025 at the earliest we can even think about getting back to even the level we're at now no matter who the head coach is.

Personally I land on keeping Fleming. Flaws and all, it's hard to ignore the 4 winning seasons in a row, 5 out of the last 6 when it comes to this program. The tougher question for me is what happens if he looks for another school or another school comes looking?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 5 months ago #47 Jarrett Martin is listed as the starter at Safety against Towson!!

Last Saturday Martin tied with Safety Brent Jackson with 10 tackles (4 solo, 6 assisted), 1 tackle for loss and .5 sacks.
Emmanuel Gomes was listed as the starter all season including going into North Carolina A&T, but it doesn't look like he played at all Saturday. Same situation took place against New Hampshire the week before
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago
ramster wrote: 5 months ago #47 Jarrett Martin is listed as the starter at Safety against Towson!!

Emmanuel Gomes was listed as the starter all season including going into North Carolina A&T, but it doesn't look like he played at all Saturday. Same situation took place against New Hampshire the week before
And Gomes isn't listed as the backup either. I'm guessing he is hurt but don't know. Martin has been playing well.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

1991 (6-5)
1995 (7-4)
2001 (8-3)
2018 (6-5)

2020 (2-1)
2021 (7-4)
2022 (7-4)
2023 (???)

IMG_0830.jpeg
It's really quite the conundrum. Obviously Fleming has had more success than any coach we've had in the last 40 years and in theory with a massively renovated stadium on the horizon he, and the program, could be poised for another bump. 4 winning seasons in a row, 5 out of 6 is almost unprecedented here. URI football really shouldn't be in the business of showing a coach like that the door.

On the other hand, some posters here have talked about moving on, who knows who else feels that way. It does seem that Fleming has hit a ceiling which happens to be just shy of a playoff level team. He's also 64 now and you have to wonder A. how much he has left/how much longer he wants to do this and B. if he's capable of taking another step leading this program into a massively renovated stadium.

Complicating factors are no one outside of the program seems to know what his contract situation is and in theory now that the program isn't in the toilet and another investment is right on the horizon we should be a more attractive destination for future candidates. Also we are losing a ton of players, especially on offense. No matter who is in charge a massive rebuild is here and it's probably going to be 2025 at the earliest we can even think about getting back to even the level we're at now no matter who the head coach is.

Personally I land on keeping Fleming. Flaws and all, it's hard to ignore the 4 winning seasons in a row, 5 out of the last 6 when it comes to this program. The tougher question for me is what happens if he looks for another school or another school comes looking?
Jim Harbaugh?
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

1991 (6-5)
1995 (7-4)
2001 (8-3)
2018 (6-5)

2020 (2-1)
2021 (7-4)
2022 (7-4)
2023 (???)

IMG_0830.jpeg

Very good take on things. I agree. His recruiting lately has been exceptional. Hopefully we can reload keep a winning record or better. I’d love to find a D1 stud quarterback in the off season. Always a possibility.

GO RHODY!
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

It's no conundrum!
Jim has done a fantastic job. The program was a mess when he came, resulting in the Admin wanting to drop down to NEC.
Do we have football offices and an indoor practice facility? Only now after 30 years of trying to upgrade Meade, may we see something.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I agree.

You can't fire Fleming, he's pretty much unfireable at this point. His performance mirrors the performance of his QB: which is to say, very good, just not good enough to clear that last hurdle.

He runs a clean program, he is constantly improving the quality of recruits, everything trends upwards. I really hope they bring their best game today and beat Towson and make it three straight 7 win seasons. With each such season, the University, State, boosters, and community make a greater commitment to the program.

I know it is frustrating, but he's going to do it sooner rather than later. He is well liked by his peers in the CAA, what's not to like, really? He's the consummate gentleman who believes in fair play, he's a straight shooter, he won't run up the score and demoralize his opponent when he has them down on the canvas. If this were Pro Wrestling, he'd be a "baby face" as opposed to a "heel".

And most importantly, we have seen the alternative. And it can be very ugly. Fleming is not ugly. He's the definition of slow and steady wins the race. He's going to have this team in striking distance, perpetually, going forward, and at some point he is going to have the right mix of players to take it from there. And that's when it is really going to be fun.
2 x
FmrRamFB1
Michael Andersen

Unread post by FmrRamFB1 »

jcru wrote: 5 months ago I agree.

You can't fire Fleming, he's pretty much unfireable at this point. His performance mirrors the performance of his QB: which is to say, very good, just not good enough to clear that last hurdle.

He runs a clean program, he is constantly improving the quality of recruits, everything trends upwards. I really hope they bring their best game today and beat Towson and make it three straight 7 win seasons. With each such season, the University, State, boosters, and community make a greater commitment to the program.

I know it is frustrating, but he's going to do it sooner rather than later. He is well liked by his peers in the CAA, what's not to like, really? He's the consummate gentleman who believes in fair play, he's a straight shooter, he won't run up the score and demoralize his opponent when he has them down on the canvas. If this were Pro Wrestling, he'd be a "baby face" as opposed to a "heel".

And most importantly, we have seen the alternative. And it can be very ugly. Fleming is not ugly. He's the definition of slow and steady wins the race. He's going to have this team in striking distance, perpetually, going forward, and at some point he is going to have the right mix of players to take it from there. And that's when it is really going to be fun.
I agree with many of your points, but the default can’t be the right mix of players. We have good enough players to compete for a playoff birth now. Not utilizing McKenzie’s talents until the end of the season was a bad coaching decision. None of the playoff contending teams have better players than us.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

When you have a team with this much talent you are only going as far as your QB will take you.

We’ve been having this discussion for the last 6 weeks of the season. We have a 7th year QB who is 25 years old with poor mobility, he’s typically 4 years older or more than most of the players on the field, had great personal stats, is going to end up one of the top three QBs in program history, yet loses at least 4 games per season, the last three seasons. He has good games, great games, and games where he hardly shows up, and loves to call an audible for his own number throughout the game you might have thought he was Patrick Mahomes the amt of times he runs the ball himself, usually for a loss.

I think we all agreed on here that the complaining of McKenzie not getting the ball more rides on audibles being called at the line where Hill calls his own number instead.

There is not much you can do about that. And I feel like most concerns going forward revolve around the QB position. With a great well rounded QB who can make every play and throw every pass and occasionally get the first with his own wheels, this team will make the playoffs. And until then… they won’t
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

FmrRamFB1 wrote: 5 months ago
jcru wrote: 5 months ago I agree.

I agree with many of your points, but the default can’t be the right mix of players. We have good enough players to compete for a playoff birth now. Not utilizing McKenzie’s talents until the end of the season was a bad coaching decision. None of the playoff contending teams have better players than us.
Its not the QB, it's gamplan and in game coaching that is what kept this team from the playoffs.

There have been numerous teams with worse QB play and less talent that have made the playoffs.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

That interception just now says otherwise. So does the fumble that Towson took all the way for the TD 10 mins ago. Not to mention, the miffed handoff before that.

At least you didn't call me dumb and stupid this time.

Let's just agree to disagree here. You would see no blame whatsoever placed on Hill for the underachieving this season by this team. It's everyone else. What should we do then, fire Fleming?

Let's go back to the Keith Floyd years or the lost years between Stowers and Fleming where, as Obi said, they want to drop to a lesser Conference and drop a ton of scholarships from the team.

OR, we could wait and see what happens next season with a brand new QB with a different skill set. I'm actually in the moved on stage and looking forward to it.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

That being said, McKenzie has already been having a strong game today, despite the two turnovers, by people not named McKenzie.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Pena with a big time sack.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the Towson offense for keeping us in this game not to mention a big assist to our own D, despite our own Offense reaching the redzone three times and coming up empty handed.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

NOW THAT is what you call a punter. Towson punter kicks the ball 70 yards out of his own endzone. We need some better kickers on this team.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Hill to Buchanan for 6.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

McKenzie does a front flip into the endzone, nearly gives himself a neck stinger in the process.

We appreciate your sacrificing the body for the team, McKenzie, but don't permanently injure yourself in the process.
0 x
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RIrugger01 »

Anyone with Direct Tv, the game is on ch 642
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

20-12 halftime.

6 trips to the redzone.

First 3 resulting in turnovers in the redzone.

Next 2 resulting in TDs

Next drive doesn't reach the redzone but results in a fairly long FG.

Last trip to the redzone just before the half results in another FG. Groff 2 of 3 on FGs for the day, all three attempts from the right hashmark.

Towson with the big defensive TD and one offensive pass TD. Missed the PAT on both.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

brady1 wrote: 5 months ago

1991 (6-5)
1995 (7-4)
2001 (8-3)
2018 (6-5)

2020 (2-1)
2021 (7-4)
2022 (7-4)
2023 (???)

IMG_0830.jpeg

Very good take on things. I agree. His recruiting lately has been exceptional. Hopefully we can reload keep a winning record or better. I’d love to find a D1 stud quarterback in the off season. Always a possibility.

GO RHODY!
The hope is that QB is Devin Farrell, the redshirt freshman from Virginia Tech that's been the backup this season
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Late in the game, 2nd and 7, Hill calls his own number, gets 2-3 yards and falls to the ground afterwards holding his knee.

NOT going to miss that next year. Sorry. Not Sorry.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

oh yeah
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Anybody bitching about our ESPN plus announcers needs to listen to this professional color analyst for Towson. Wood!

BLITZ BLITZ BLITZ BLITZ
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Fou with the trey
0 x
FmrRamFB1
Michael Andersen

Terrible coaching!!!
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

31-30 final for Towson
0 x
FmrRamFB1
Michael Andersen

Terrible coaching!!! Fleming is awful
0 x
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

How do the coaches not make it clear to the players if they want them to spike the ball(the correct call) or rush the field goal unit out. What a cluster f&@k
0 x
FmrRamFB1
Michael Andersen

They weren’t prepared. No one can defend this, a change needs to happen.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Absolutely brutal end. We get it down to the Towson 30 with five seconds left and no timeouts, clock stopped for the first down. Instead of clocking it where we'd have 2 or 3 seconds left and all the time needed to setup for the game winning field goal we tried to rush the field goal unit on the field and didn't get another snap
0 x
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

I hear Jimbo Fisher isn’t doing anything these days. Probably wouldn’t even need to pay him lol
1 x
FmrRamFB1
Michael Andersen

RIrugger01 wrote: 5 months ago I hear Jimbo Fisher isn’t doing anything these days. Probably wouldn’t even need to pay him lol
He wastes talent worse than Fleming.
3 x
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

RIrugger01 wrote: 5 months ago I hear Jimbo Fisher isn’t doing anything these days. Probably wouldn’t even need to pay him lol
He wastes talent worse than Fleming.
Did very well at Florida st. Not so good at A&M. Doesn’t matter, he wouldn’t even take a phone call from us
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago Absolutely brutal end. We get it down to the Towson 30 with five seconds left and no timeouts, clock stopped for the first down. Instead of clocking it where we'd have 2 or 3 seconds left and all the time needed to setup for the game winning field goal we tried to rush the field goal unit on the field and didn't get another snap
I didn’t see the game, but did we really not spike the ball and had time to do it?
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

One defensive stop more during the whole second half was all that was needed.
3rd and 4th down conversions, missed tackle before Towon TD with 40 seconds.

Field goal kicker had a great day for RI
1 x
RIrugger01
Jeff Kent

McRam wrote: 5 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago Absolutely brutal end. We get it down to the Towson 30 with five seconds left and no timeouts, clock stopped for the first down. Instead of clocking it where we'd have 2 or 3 seconds left and all the time needed to setup for the game winning field goal we tried to rush the field goal unit on the field and didn't get another snap
I didn’t see the game, but did we really not spike the ball and had time to do it?
Had a long reception down to the 30. Looked like the kicking team was running onto the field while the offense was trying to line up to spike it. There was 5 seconds left. Clock started and time ran out
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Can confirm. We screwed the pooch
0 x
FmrRamFB1
Michael Andersen

Again we screwed the pooch.

Enough with being satisfied with winning seasons. Albany was 3-8 last year, and this year, they’re conference champs. We can’t figure out how to win 1 extra game. We start every game, not with a talent disadvantage, but a coaching one. Yesterday was just another example of shitty coaching.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Enough with being satisfied with winning seasons. Albany was 3-8 last year, and this year, they’re conference champs. We can’t figure out how to win 1 extra game. We start every game, not with a talent disadvantage, but a coaching one. Yesterday was just another example of shitty coaching.

I'm confused about how I should feel about the program... On one hand, I have a person telling me I shouldn't feel satisfied with winning seasons. Yeah, we are 22-14 over the past four years. I mean yeah, before the current coach, we only had two winning seasons in 30 years, but I shouldn't just be satisfied with multiple winning seasons, right?

On the other hand, I see daily posts of these awesome 1AA stadiums, while we play in a glorified high school stadium. Are the posters saying we would be able to hire a Danny Hurley type to lead us to the promise land, ignoring history and our 5,000 person stadium to bring us a national title?
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Facilities have to be a negative in recruiting. Yes, facilities have improved, but they are still near the bottom of FCS facilities.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

absolutely, as facilities have improved, recruiting has improved.

I don't like how the university media page hides or glosses over the ending of this game. For instance, yesterday at my brother's house on Thanksgiving, he was like, what happened at the end of that game? "Penalty for: too many men on the field?"

And I told him. They had a chance to win the game with a FG, and the kicking team rushed onto the field while the offense was trying to spike the ball to stop the clock for them, on the 30 yard line with 5 seconds left, and time expired.

He had no idea, and that's the point. It's embarrassing, and it should be embarrassing, someone should be held accountable, even if it's just to point out that someone allowed that to happen. But they don't strive for honesty, hence no one is accountable, therego, it could happen again, because "no big deal".

Is that a fireable offense? No. But it speaks of a lack of control of the team, the team's overall game IQ, and team discipline. No team at this level should lose a game in THAT way. If the kicker shanks the FG, that's one thing. A clean and decisive ending. Win or lose based on a 40 foot FG. But to not even be given the chance under those circumstances? Face palm (which is exactly what my brother did when I told him).
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Bos8 wrote: 5 months ago

I'm confused about how I should feel about the program... On one hand, I have a person telling me I shouldn't feel satisfied with winning seasons. Yeah, we are 22-14 over the past four years. I mean yeah, before the current coach, we only had two winning seasons in 30 years, but I shouldn't just be satisfied with multiple winning seasons, right?

On the other hand, I see daily posts of these awesome 1AA stadiums, while we play in a glorified high school stadium. Are the posters saying we would be able to hire a Danny Hurley type to lead us to the promise land, ignoring history and our 5,000 person stadium to bring us a national title?
Wait...did they make upgrades to the stadium since we played UNH? I don't remember anything 'glorified' about it when I was there...
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

$1 million video board with replays
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago $1 million video board with replays
lol, that was a huge upgrade. I think maybe they sabotaged the old one and made it run crappy and intermittently during the UNH game, so folks would appreciate the contrast.
1 x
FmrRamFB1
Michael Andersen

jcru wrote: 5 months ago absolutely, as facilities have improved, recruiting has improved.

I don't like how the university media page hides or glosses over the ending of this game. For instance, yesterday at my brother's house on Thanksgiving, he was like, what happened at the end of that game? "Penalty for: too many men on the field?"

And I told him. They had a chance to win the game with a FG, and the kicking team rushed onto the field while the offense was trying to spike the ball to stop the clock for them, on the 30 yard line with 5 seconds left, and time expired.

He had no idea, and that's the point. It's embarrassing, and it should be embarrassing, someone should be held accountable, even if it's just to point out that someone allowed that to happen. But they don't strive for honesty, hence no one is accountable, therego, it could happen again, because "no big deal".

Is that a fireable offense? No. But it speaks of a lack of control of the team, the team's overall game IQ, and team discipline. No team at this level should lose a game in THAT way. If the kicker shanks the FG, that's one thing. A clean and decisive ending. Win or lose based on a 40 foot FG. But to not even be given the chance under those circumstances? Face palm (which is exactly what my brother did when I told him).
Fleming isn’t held accountable for his coaching blunders and personnel decisions because there isn’t a media presence. It’s been mentioned before, the ProJo doesn’t care and neither does the TV media. When your program is covered by college students, you can get away with not answering any tough questions.
0 x