2023-24 Rotation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 2023-24 Rotation

Unread post by ramster »

:twisted:
Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago
ramster wrote: 5 months ago

House had a tough time adjusting to the size of the last 2 opponents when attacking the basket. Not once did I see him dog it.
I'm not saying house dogged it. But 2 offensive rebounds in 5 games? And with all the drives he makes inside where he could rebound his own misses? He has had a good number of shots blocked driving in amongst the trees. Playing 2 P5 teams vs playing 3 teams 300+ NET showed differently. A 6'4" guard driving the lane should get more offensive rebounds than 2.
But I'm confident that Miller will address Fuchs' opportunities for improvement as well as House's and all others. There are lots of opportunities.
I'm pretty sure a 6'3" shooting guard's responsibility isn't get offensive rebounds against 6'10" and 7'0" guys. Our bigs should be crashing the boards. Guards main job after shots is getting back on defense.
So why does Miller let Fuchs play so many minutes with your observed lack of effort and attitude problems and turnovers? Why continue to start him? Why do you think that is?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

House had a tough time adjusting to the size of the last 2 opponents when attacking the basket. Not once did I see him dog it.
I'm not saying house dogged it. But 2 offensive rebounds in 5 games? And with all the drives he makes inside where he could rebound his own misses? He has had a good number of shots blocked driving in amongst the trees. Playing 2 P5 teams vs playing 3 teams 300+ NET showed differently. A 6'4" guard driving the lane should get more offensive rebounds than 2.
But I'm confident that Miller will address Fuchs' opportunities for improvement as well as House's and all others. There are lots of opportunities.
I'm pretty sure a 6'3" shooting guard's responsibility isn't get offensive rebounds against 6'10" and 7'0" guys. Our bigs should be crashing the boards. Guards main job after shots is getting back on defense.
I'd disagree. Most teams today play 3 guards and some play 4 guards. Jared Terrell, EC Mathews, Stanford Robinson, Jeff Dowtin and contributed substantially to rebounding the basketball. In fact I recall Hurley on numerous occasions say our guards have to rebound better. We played 4 guards under Hurley and also under Miller at times.

Last year vs LaSalle in the A10 Tournament our starting line up was:
Leggett
Martin
Carey
Thomas
Stewart

Guards had to rebound in that lineup.

Because the bigs like Samb and Trichou got beat out of starting spots
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago No one is saying Fuchs didn't put in any effort. He was battling for boards. But the bottom line is one player gave up on multiple possessions and didn't get back on defense. That was Fuchs. That is unacceptable at this level. I wouldn't see the floor again if I did that on my high school team,, let alone a D1 program like URI. Fuchs could have had 15 boards. That doesn't change the fact that you NEVER give up like that.

Why did Bray get called out last year? Because he was running his mouth on the sidelines. If a player has a bad attitude, it will stand out to fans, and that's exactly what happened with Fuchs. He deserves all the criticism he's getting, and I hope he learns from it and we see a different player on Sunday. He has plenty of time to redeem himself. We all make mistakes and no one is perfect.
I get it. Trust me. It's been said here 500 times.

That's my point. Little criticism of anyone else in that game.

And why then didn't Miller bench him? If everyone here thinks it's this incredibly bad in both games with effort, turnovers, etc then put him in the bench as you all say. Why isn't that happening? Or do you expect the benching next game?

Put in Foumena. There is a guy giving the effort on offense and defense.
Everyone in my section was wondering the same thing. That's part of the reason I felt Archie had a bad game on Sunday. I don't mind the turnovers, I don't mind missed shots. I don't mind most of the freshman mistakes. But why he didn't get pulled after those possessions where he gave up made absolutely no sense to me. Maybe Archie missed it, but I don't know how you could. It was obvious.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 5 months ago :twisted:

So why does Miller let Fuchs play so many minutes with your observed lack of effort and attitude problems and turnovers? Why continue to start him? Why do you think that is?
Fuchs’ lack of effort mainly came in the Wash St game. I didn’t notice as much against Northwestern.

There have been no possible games for Archie to “continue to start him” after the lack of effort seeing how it was against Wash St.

MULTIPLE times where he turned it over/missed a shot and absolutely refused to get back in D.

Was barely moving down the court and allowed easy transition points for Wash St.

And please spare us with an undersized two guard’s offensive rebound production in 5 games.

House hasn’t dogged it once this season.

I don’t really need my best scorer crashing the offensive glass time after time.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago No one is saying Fuchs didn't put in any effort. He was battling for boards. But the bottom line is one player gave up on multiple possessions and didn't get back on defense. That was Fuchs. That is unacceptable at this level. I wouldn't see the floor again if I did that on my high school team,, let alone a D1 program like URI. Fuchs could have had 15 boards. That doesn't change the fact that you NEVER give up like that.

Why did Bray get called out last year? Because he was running his mouth on the sidelines. If a player has a bad attitude, it will stand out to fans, and that's exactly what happened with Fuchs. He deserves all the criticism he's getting, and I hope he learns from it and we see a different player on Sunday. He has plenty of time to redeem himself. We all make mistakes and no one is perfect.
I get it. Trust me. It's been said here 500 times.

That's my point. Little criticism of anyone else in that game.

And why then didn't Miller bench him? If everyone here thinks it's this incredibly bad in both games with effort, turnovers, etc then put him in the bench as you all say. Why isn't that happening? Or do you expect the benching next game?

Put in Foumena. There is a guy giving the effort on offense and defense.
Everyone in my section was wondering the same thing. That's part of the reason I felt Archie had a bad game on Sunday. I don't mind the turnovers, I don't mind missed shots. I don't mind most of the freshman mistakes. But why he didn't get pulled after those possessions where he gave up made absolutely no sense to me. Maybe Archie missed it, but I don't know how you could. It was obvious.
Maybe didn't want to hurt his confidence? Maybe Miller sees nobody getting offensive rebounds except Fuchs? Who knows. But if there is this much criticism of Fuchs then the man at the top controlling who starts and who get minutes and whose in at the end of the game basically owns it.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Ya Guards and bigs should be battling for boards... I agree with that. Once again that's not the issue for myself and others. He was the ONLY player that gave up during a few possessions. I rarely see that happen while watching a lot of college basketball games so that really stood out to me.... I see guys jog back on D when they should be sprinting, but Fuchs was walking at one point. I couldn't believe what I was seeing..But im done talking about it. It was only one game and it's not that big of a deal... Hopefully, Fuchs doesn't do that again.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago Ya Guards and bigs should be battling for boards... I agree with that. Once again that's not the issue for myself and others. He was the ONLY player that gave up during a few possessions. I rarely see that happen while watching a lot of college basketball games so that really stood out to me.... I see guys jog back on D when they should be sprinting, but Fuchs was walking at one point. I couldn't believe what I was seeing..But im done talking about it. It was only one game and it's not that big of a deal... Hopefully, Fuchs doesn't do that again.
Totally agree Stevie , that’s what bothered me as well

Fuchs was really good the first 3 games then struggled mightily the last 2 in the bump up in competition and looks like he lost some confidence

Let’s see how he does going forward
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I'm not sure about the narrative that Fuchs wasn't trying

Seemed more like

He was deer in the headlights/gassed to me.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago I'm not sure about the narrative that Fuchs wasn't trying

Seemed more like

That's a weird narrative. To me, he looked completely lost and distracted. I wish we would stop overanalyzing these 2 games. We're 5 into the season and 3-2. Completely new team, still figuring things out.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rhodyram22 wrote: 5 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago I'm not sure about the narrative that Fuchs wasn't trying

Seemed more like

That's a weird narrative. To me, he looked completely lost and distracted. I wish we would stop overanalyzing these 2 games. We're 5 into the season and 3-2. Completely new team, still figuring things out.
I think it's based off of him being late getting back on defense once in the first half.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Somebody forgot to tell Leggett that.
Jaden House was the leading rebounder against Northwestern
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Seemed more like

If by “deer in headlights” you mean he refused to even jog back on defense after making a bad play, then yes you’re correct.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

reef wrote: 5 months ago My guess is Arch and the staff watched the film and probably saw the same things we did with regards to Fuchs and I would hope he got a stern talking too about that’s not how we do things here with regards to hustle

Arch seems like the kind of coach who will play the guys who deserve to play so with JB back it may scale Fuchs playing time down
Fuchs is just a Freshman. Fuch's rebounds per 40 minutes (5 games) is higher than Foumena and Brown

Fuch's and Foumena rebounds per 40 minutes are both higher than Bilau last season

Imagine the potential of Fuch's if a Miller stern talking to works?

This season thru 5 games
IMG_1047.jpeg

Last season
In blue are top guards rebounding.
IMG_1046.jpeg
Yeah, he got a few rebounds but did everything else poorly over the weekend. Zero points, nine turnovers, bad defense and lack of hustle. I don't care how many rebounds he got, if he doesn't start playing harder, he should sit.
Not addressing this specifically to you, just more as a jumping off point to several comments about Fuchs.

All I've ever heard is rebounding is all about effort and desire, i.e. hustle. I find it hard to square this maxim about rebounding that people here use all the time and this idea that Fuchs wasn't hustling at Mohegan. Seems you have to pick one or the other?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Somebody forgot to tell Archie that. He specifically has called out the guards not participating enough with our rebounding
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago

Somebody forgot to tell Archie that. He specifically has called out the guards not participating enough with our rebounding
That's more about defensive rebounding. Because our bigs aren't doing a great job there, the guards need to do their share.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

That's more about defensive rebounding. Because our bigs aren't doing a great job there, the guards need to do their share.
Ish so far is the leading rebounder at Pitt averaging 8 rebs/game.
Last season he was our 2nd leading rebounder averaging 5.8.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 5 months ago

Ramster is specifically talking about offensive rebounds with our guards whereas Archie has specifically talked about our guards in regards to defensive rebounding.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 5 months ago
Ramster is specifically talking about offensive rebounds with our guards whereas Archie has specifically talked about our guards in regards to defensive rebounding.
Here is Leggett Offensive Rebounding last year and this year he is the leading rebounder at Pitt.
Last year Martin led in offensive rebounds followed by Leggett in 2nd with 50 on the season.

Coaches tell players to follow up there shot to get the possible miss
IMG_1056.png
IMG_1057.png
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago

Seemed more like

If by “deer in headlights” you mean he refused to even jog back on defense after making a bad play, then yes you’re correct.
That never happened.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago

Seemed more like

That never happened.
Yes it most certainly did. There was one turnover he had at the top of the arch (well he had many of these but one play I’m referring to) where he lost the ball and turned around and lightly pretend to pursue the player on the fast break

Would he have caught him if he sprinted? Hard to say. But he legitimately didn’t even bother to try
3 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I honestly am not that concerned about the lack of chase down. He is slow. There was no chance he catches the guy. What does bother me is when he does the same thing after not getting a foul call. He complains throws his hands up and lets the team play 5 on 4 for a minute.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 5 months ago

That never happened.
Yes it most certainly did. There was one turnover he had at the top of the arch (well he had many of these but one play I’m referring to) where he lost the ball and turned around and lightly pretend to pursue the player on the fast break

Would he have caught him if he sprinted? Hard to say. But he legitimately didn’t even bother to try
He never just stood there and didn't bother to even jog though. That's what he's been accused of.

He just looked like he got way too in his head about his mistakes. He is also slow, but he never just stood there. He even dove for a basketball during this game.

He's been slow getting back all year though. He definitely should play harder, but I also wonder about his stamina. He's often walking up the floor when we bring the ball up on offense.

Either way I'm sure he'll be fine.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Seemed more like

That never happened.
Uh, yes it did.

Multiple times.

Lotta people here saw it and have posted about it.

You either didn’t watch the game, or don’t know what the hell you’re talking about.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

reef wrote: 5 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago Ya Guards and bigs should be battling for boards... I agree with that. Once again that's not the issue for myself and others. He was the ONLY player that gave up during a few possessions. I rarely see that happen while watching a lot of college basketball games so that really stood out to me.... I see guys jog back on D when they should be sprinting, but Fuchs was walking at one point. I couldn't believe what I was seeing..But im done talking about it. It was only one game and it's not that big of a deal... Hopefully, Fuchs doesn't do that again.

Fuchs was really good the first 3 games then struggled mightily the last 2 in the bump up in competition and looks like he lost some confidence

Is it possible he’s dealing with something? Homesick maybe? Having a difficult time adjusting here so Arch is cutting him some slack and being patient ?

Just some off the top of my head speculation.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

One thing Fuchs can do is rebound has 13 today

Nice 4 man rotation of bigs with Fuchs JB TB and JF

Looks like we have a solid 9 to 10 man rotation
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Jdrums#3 wrote: 5 months ago
reef wrote: 5 months ago

Is it possible he’s dealing with something? Homesick maybe? Having a difficult time adjusting here so Arch is cutting him some slack and being patient ?

Just some off the top of my head speculation.
Basketball can be a very mental game. I wonder if something's going on? He was A LOT more focused in those first 3 games.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Seemed more like

That never happened.
Yeah multiple times. If you lack talent that’s one thing, but that kid put in zero effort over the weekend. If you played at any type of “professional” level I have different expectations than I do for a true freshman.

But effort was Fuchs problem all weekend. Traditionally, the best rebounders are the ones who try the most. Him being bigger than the other front courts was clearly why he was rebounding a lot the first few games.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago

That never happened.
Yeah multiple times. If you lack talent that’s one thing, but that kid put in zero effort over the weekend. If you played at any type of “professional” level I have different expectations than I do for a true freshman.

But effort was Fuchs problem all weekend. Traditionally, the best rebounders are the ones who try the most. Him being bigger than the other front courts was clearly why he was rebounding a lot the first few games.
They got bullied BlueMan. They got manhandled. That was my take away from last weekend. It's one thing to beat Central Connecticut, which takes no effort. You go up against Big10 teams, you better muscle up. Our guys didn't. Northwestern bullied this team team for 12 minutes to start the game. They were aggressive and our team wilted. They better nut up quickly.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Anyone else ready to start Foumena?

Or at least ditch starting Brown and Fuchs at the same time? Or playing then at the same time?

It's been kind of a disaster for four games in a row now.

I just don't think the Fuchs to Brown high low stuff is gonna work. It kinda worked in the first two games, but since then teams have adjusted and it hasn't been great. Fou has out played both of them.

Gimme Big Fou and Bilau all day against Yale. Their 7 footer will destroy Brown and Fuchs.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago

That never happened.

Yeah he lacked effort. But he didn't refuse to even jog back on defense. He certainly jogged. Did not sprint.

I went back and watched every second he played against WSU. Never did he just stand there and not jog back at least.

Either way he needs to get benched until he proves he doesn't suck.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It’s going to be interesting to see how Arch manages the front court minutes with TD DF JF and JB

I think Tyson will probably get the least of those 4 once JB gets to full strength , he only played 11 minutes today
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 5 months ago It’s going to be interesting to see how Arch manages the front court minutes with TD DF JF and JB

I think Tyson will probably get the least of those 4 once JB gets to full strength , he only played 11 minutes today
I think the more Bilau gets comfy, you'll see Brown and Fuchs less and less.

If David Green gets magically eligible he starts.

If everyone was available and healthy I think the starting line up would be:

Luis
House
Zek
Green
Bilau
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

reef wrote: 5 months ago It’s going to be interesting to see how Arch manages the front court minutes with TD DF JF and JB

I think the more Bilau gets comfy, you'll see Brown and Fuchs less and less.

If David Green gets magically eligible he starts.

If everyone was available and healthy I think the starting line up would be:

Luis
House
Zek
Green
Bilau
That’s a decent squad. He’s hoping we see it!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

That never happened.

He never just stood there and didn't bother to even jog though. That's what he's been accused of.

He just looked like he got way too in his head about his mistakes. He is also slow, but he never just stood there. He even dove for a basketball during this game.

He's been slow getting back all year though. He definitely should play harder, but I also wonder about his stamina. He's often walking up the floor when we bring the ball up on offense.

How can you "worry about stamina" AND think he'll be fine?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 months ago

How can you "worry about stamina" AND think he'll be fine?
He's just a baby 👶

He'll get better
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

This was the possession that frustrated me the most while watching live. He throws a lazy pass, then shakes his head and stands there for a second. The guard who was basically at the free-throw line grabs the ball while Fuchs is close to the half-court line. The guard out-hustles him, blows by him, and goes up for an easy layup, which he misses. Fuchs doesn’t attempt to box out or grab the rebound he just walks under the hoop assuming he would make the layup. Kortright grabs the rebound and we go on a fast break. While the rest of the guys are running the fast break, Fuchs is barely jogging, still shaking his head…You don't see him in the video because he's out of frame, walking back.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodyram22
ARD

This was the possession that frustrated me the most while watching live. He throws a lazy pass, then shakes his head and stands there for a second. The guard who was basically at the free-throw line grabs the ball while Fuchs is close to the half-court line. The guard out-hustles him, blows by him, and goes up for an easy layup, which he misses. Fuchs doesn’t attempt to box out or grab the rebound he just walks under the hoop assuming he would make the layup. Kortright grabs the rebound and we go on a fast break. While the rest of the guys are running the fast break, Fuchs is barely jogging, still shaking his head…You don't see him in the video because he's out of frame, walking back.
Unbelievable that he didn't even attempt to block that layup.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Really good find Stevey !!! Totally unacceptable and deserves a spot on the bench and a stern talking to !
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Agree that he is young will get better (make better decisions with the ball), but attitude is something you can address immediately.
I believe Fuchs was pulled but then Foumena got two quick fouls basically forcing Archie to play Fuchs again.

However, I was a bit disappointed Fuchs started against JWU. I was hoping Archie would use the start of the game as a teaching moment.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rhodyblue12 wrote: 5 months ago Agree that he is young will get better (make better decisions with the ball), but attitude is something you can address immediately.
I believe Fuchs was pulled but then Foumena got two quick fouls basically forcing Archie to play Fuchs again.

However, I was a bit disappointed Fuchs started against JWU. I was hoping Archie would use the start of the game as a teaching moment.
If he starts Brown and Fuchs against Yale, I hope we don't get in too big of a hole in the first 5 minutes.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rhodyblue12 wrote: 5 months ago Agree that he is young will get better (make better decisions with the ball), but attitude is something you can address immediately.

If he starts Brown and Fuchs against Yale, I hope we don't get in too big of a hole in the first 5 minutes.
I hope Estevez is ready to go and we go smaller at times. I also like Zeke, Brandon, 2 guards and 1 big. We need to open up the floor more on offense.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I like this, that style and lineup gives us another look, when needed.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I think we will see our fair share of 1 big with Zek BW Jaden and LK
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

I hope Estevez is ready to go and we go smaller at times. I also like Zeke, Brandon, 2 guards and 1 big. We need to open up the floor more on offense.
Brandon also needs the green light to shoot more. His jumper’s looking improved so far.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Brandon also needs the green light to shoot more. His jumper’s looking improved so far.
True 3-3 yesterday from deep and a couple around and outs @ Mohegan
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Agree with all. The two guards on the floor were Always and Luis. From what I see , House is not a good defensive player. It seems his man is often getting by him causing a big to help and contributing to the poor defensive rebounding. With all the good guards in the league, playing house in certain situations might require a zone.( Would love to see Zek at the top of any zone with his height and quickness he would likely disrupt shots and be in the front when there r turnovers.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I’ve said it many times, this kid is an X factor when given the opportunity.
1 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

McRam wrote: 5 months ago Agree with all. The two guards on the floor were Always and Luis. From what I see , House is not a good defensive player. It seems his man is often getting by him causing a big to help and contributing to the poor defensive rebounding. With all the good guards in the league, playing house in certain situations might require a zone.( Would love to see Zek at the top of any zone with his height and quickness he would likely disrupt shots and be in the front when there r turnovers.
I don't believe Archie plays zone defense. I may be wrong, but I don't believe he does.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 months ago

Yup
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 months ago

Yup
Yeah looking like a 6th man 20-25 minute type guy
2 x