11/19 | Washington St | 3:30PM (ESPNU) | Hall of Fame Tip-Off

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: 11/19 | Washington St | 3:30PM (ESPNU) | Hall of Fame Tip-Off

Unread post by theblueram »

Hah!! It's seems I stirred up a hornet's nest. This game was hard to swallow. I didn't think the team would kick the bucket that fast in the second half. The JWU game is up for grabs, this isn't a knee jerk reaction. I'm not head over heels for this team yet, but they need to put some elbow grease into their game. (Does this site come with colloquialism font?)
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The Johnson & Wales game is not up for grabs, stop it
4 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago The Johnson & Wales game is not up for grabs, stop it
Yet people think I’m a troll
3 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago
theblueram wrote: 5 months ago

Hurley beat #21 Nebraska year 2. Made the NIT year 3. Tick tock, tick tock. Archie needs to get this thing going.
He beat them in year 3

Hurley's second team got waxed similarly against good teams.
Also that #21 Nebraska team finished the year 13-18 and 5-13 in the Big 10. It was a great night to be a fan, but they were massively overrated
Yeah I remember being really pissed at how bad they ended up being.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago The Johnson & Wales game is not up for grabs, stop it
You missed it, didn't you?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I just googled colloquialism and found five examples so I decided to put them in a post. Some of you are just wound way too tight.

“Hard to swallow” = difficult to believe.
“Kick the bucket” = to die.
“Stir up a hornet's nest” = provoke a strong negative reaction.
“Up for grabs” = available to anyone.
“Knee jerk reaction” = a quick or automatic response.
“Head over heels” = in love.
“Elbow grease” = hard work.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 5 months ago I just googled colloquialism and found five examples so I decided to put them in a post. Some of you are just wound way too tight.

That's 7

I looked up colloquialism as I admittedly didn't know exactly what you were getting at

And please define "He's in the Hot Seat" :D :D
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

He beat them in year 3

Hurley's second team got waxed similarly against good teams.
Also that #21 Nebraska team finished the year 13-18 and 5-13 in the Big 10. It was a great night to be a fan, but they were massively overrated
I remember not giving a shit because they could have gone 0-18 in the B1G and it wouldn’t have retroactively spoiled the vibes of being in the Ryan that night.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
SimpleJack
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by SimpleJack »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 5 months ago
SimpleJack wrote: 5 months ago Honestly very surprised to see all of the negativity here. The arrow is clearly pointing way up on us. I am very encouraged by how we have looked compared to last year. This team would beat last year’s team by 50. Coming into the year I was personally hopeful we would finish top 8 or 9 in the A10 and start heading in the right direction. After seeing us through five games, I’d be very surprised if we don’t finish in the top 6 with the potential to finish even higher. This team is legit. Everyone needs to take it down a notch and just let things play out before deciding what we are.
I hear ya, SimpleJack. For myself, I usually ride the emotional rollercoaster thrill ride on game days and get frustrated but, you are correct, we are moving in the right direction and the team is capable of doing well in conference.

Rhody game day is about as close to a real rollercoaster I get these days. :lol:
Haha I completely understand, my friend. Emotions run high when you are a true fan. I appreciate the passion from everyone on here.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 5 months ago
theblueram wrote: 5 months ago I just googled colloquialism and found five examples so I decided to put them in a post. Some of you are just wound way too tight.

That's 7

I looked up colloquialism as I admittedly didn't know exactly what you were getting at

Math isn't my strong suit. I blame that on my Accounting degree and MBA professors at URI :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

TruePoint wrote: 5 months ago

I remember not giving a shit because they could have gone 0-18 in the B1G and it wouldn’t have retroactively spoiled the vibes of being in the Ryan that night.
Well no shit it will never take away how important of a night that was

But none of us were pleased with them sucking and not providing us with a resume building win later on in the year.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Best home game I've ever seen.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Best recent year homes games, in no order

Nebraska game
A10 clinching game vs Dayton
2009 PC game - down like 15 at halftime and massive come
Back
1 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Nebraska was one of the best nights ever. I still think JT's game-winner against Seton Hall was the happiest moment I've ever felt at a live game because it meant so much for our resume. Hurley finally beating PC felt great as well. The only moment that comes close to those is the Malcolm Butler INT, but I would pick a URI bid over a Patriots Super Bowl every year of my life.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

That just gets me sad after this weekend..
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

ramster wrote: 5 months ago

That's 7

I was on the hot seat this morning. Had to put the car seat heater on! ;)
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago

Nebraska game
Back
The Oklahoma game for me.

Fatts' "don't do him like that Fatts" moment was the most baddass sports moment ever.

The entire arena going "OOOOOOHHH"

I lost my shit
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago
I guess enough time has passed to refer to that time as the good old days……….wonder what if anything Gil is able to relate his time here to current players.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

section(105) wrote: 5 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago
I guess enough time has passed to refer to that time as the good old days……….wonder what if anything Gil is able to relate his time here to current players.
Perspective - and all it entails - is an interesting thing, 105.

Thanks for the reminder that Gil is working with the team. That completely slipped my mind since the commotion of the season started. 👍🏼

ETA: I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s talked with a few of the guys who had rough weekends to give them some perspective. Glad he’s with the team.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Nebraska game
Back

Fatts' "don't do him like that Fatts" moment was the most baddass sports moment ever.

I lost my shit

Talking specifically home games, would put Oklahoma and Creighton game way up there obviously too
1 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Nebraska game
Back

I lost my shit

Talking specifically home games, would put Oklahoma and Creighton game way up there obviously too
Since you are going to away games, even though we lost, Jimmy Baron at Duke was a pretty great game. Set a record at Cameron Indoor I believe.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Aaaahhhhh, the good old days……
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Beating #1 seed in the NCAA BIG DANCE Kanas was special.

GO RHODY!
1 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

In addition, this was one of the games for me. I'll never forget sitting in 215 and having the perfect angle to see EC blow by his man and throw down a man's dunk. The Ryan went berserk. To this day that play to me is the moment that year's team realized how good they could actually be and never turned back. The block from Stan to force overtime that same game. Owning the A10 tourney. Creighton. And then f'n Oregon. My lord if Hass was healthy that team had a final four run in them. Still remember talking to Hurley at the coach/player meet and greet at the Ryan after the team got back. Kept saying if Hass had anything more to give we win that game and I wholeheartedly agree. Such a tough way to end that magical season. And to that a-hole Brooks nonetheless. Guy was classless back then and has only gotten worse over the years.

https://gorhody.com/sports/mens-basketb ... score/1789
3 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Lamar Odoms 3 pt shot to win the A-10 tournament in Philly against Temple was an all night party!

Alright home games. The first game at the Ryan Center was an upset win against USC.

GO RHODY!
2 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

brady1 wrote: 5 months ago Lamar Odoms 3 pt shot to win the A-10 tournament in Philly against Temple was an all night party!

Alright home games. The first game at the Ryan Center was an upset win against USC.

GO RHODY!
Dustin Hellenga with the game winning shot.
3 x
KeaneyTheChemist
Abdul Fox

Unread post by KeaneyTheChemist »

I'm not trying to sound the alarm on this team but Archie has to eventually have a statement win in his second season. There is a tendency on this message board to keep blindly giving him second chances, which I understand to a degree since he did take over an abysmal roster from the David Cox days and has had to build from scratch. But truth be told, these past two games were simply a missed opportunity to prove himself early on this season. We were outrebounded, punched in the mouth, and unable to keep up with the opponent's pace in either game.

Honestly, I am beyond tired of this cycle of failing to pick up a win against a quality opponent and subsequently resorting to reminiscing about our brief glory days under Hurley to make ourselves feel better. This is simply pathetic behavior. The strong mid-majors such as Dayton and VCU do not have to go back as far as 9 years ago as we are right now discussing the Nebraska game to find examples of wins against quality opponents. But this is our copium and there haven't been many of us on this message board to truly highlight how pitiful this is. We want sustained success and not just brief spurts of winning. I am tired of the mental gymnastics we do for our current mediocrity. A big portion of the reason for why we can't win these potential statement games is our guys don't have enough heart. For the money URI is shelling out to pay Archie, he should be doing a much better job creating a more disciplined and mature team that's actually HUNGRY to win games and pursue success.

I'll reiterate that I'm not trying to say this is the downfall of a team. We still have a good stretch of our non-conference schedule remaining and the entire A-10 play to end up with a far better outcome than the 22-23 season. But that PC game on 12/02 now carries so much more weight in my mind that it did before the Mohegan Sun tournament games this weekend.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

KeaneyTheChemist wrote: 5 months ago I'm not trying to sound the alarm on this team but Archie has to eventually have a statement win in his second season. There is a tendency on this message board to keep blindly giving him second chances, which I understand to a degree since he did take over an abysmal roster from the David Cox days and has had to build from scratch. But truth be told, these past two games were simply a missed opportunity to prove himself early on this season. We were outrebounded, punched in the mouth, and unable to keep up with the opponent's pace in either game.

Honestly, I am beyond tired of this cycle of failing to pick up a win against a quality opponent and subsequently resorting to reminiscing about our brief glory days under Hurley to make ourselves feel better. This is simply pathetic behavior. The strong mid-majors such as Dayton and VCU do not have to go back as far as 9 years ago as we are right now discussing the Nebraska game to find examples of wins against quality opponents. But this is our copium and there haven't been many of us on this message board to truly highlight how pitiful this is. We want sustained success and not just brief spurts of winning. I am tired of the mental gymnastics we do for our current mediocrity. A big portion of the reason for why we can't win these potential statement games is our guys don't have enough heart. For the money URI is shelling out to pay Archie, he should be doing a much better job creating a more disciplined and mature team that's actually HUNGRY to win games and pursue success.

I'll reiterate that I'm not trying to say this is the downfall of a team. We still have a good stretch of our non-conference schedule remaining and the entire A-10 play to end up with a far better outcome than the 22-23 season. But that PC game on 12/02 now carries so much more weight in my mind that it did before the Mohegan Sun tournament games this weekend.
We beat Dayton LAST YEAR at home and they were better than Nebraska

#owned
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Honestly, I am already tired of the whining.

Some people might find others having a meltdown after 5 games to be some sort of entertainment, but I'm just not one of those people. Sorry.

Hell, this was supposed to be the year that Rhody Football was going to make the playoffs. You don't see me having an ass ache about it, and the season is over, when ass aching would be appropriate, not 15% of the way into a brand new season.

URI Women are supposed to have their greatest season ever. They've had one set back so far at Maine and an outstanding showing against a true Tournament team in Raleigh, NC. They are still on track.

I don't think much was expected of this Men's team, with an entirely new roster end to end except to see improvement from one end of the season to the other and to not end up in the basement of the Conference. Sans the poor showing by Fuchs, and the inability for House to dominate this past weekend like he did the first three games, they are pretty much still on track. I expect House to bounce back and we'll have to see about Fuchs.
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 5 months ago Honestly, I am already tired of the whining.

Some people might find others having a meltdown after 5 games to be some sort of entertainment, but I'm just not one of those people. Sorry.

Hell, this was supposed to be the year that Rhody Football was going to make the playoffs. You don't see me having an ass ache about it, and the season is over, when ass aching would be appropriate, not 15% of the way into a brand new season.

URI Women are supposed to have their greatest season ever. They've had one set back so far at Maine and an outstanding showing against a true Tournament team in Raleigh, NC. They are still on track.

I don't think much was expected of this Men's team, with an entirely new roster end to end except to see improvement from one end of the season to the other and to not end up in the basement of the Conference. Sans the poor showing by Fuchs, and the inability for House to dominate this past weekend like he did the first three games, they are pretty much still on track. I expect House to bounce back and we'll have to see about Fuchs.
Yeah no one expected us to win either of these games. We are expected to be around .500 or better.

That guy is just on one.

Yes it sucks that they didn't handle the physicality better and got off to a slow start against NW. We were still competitive against WSU for the most part and our resiliency against NW was admirable. We are also not at full strength. No big deal.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah no one expected us to win either of these games. We are expected to be around .500 or better.

That guy is just on one.

Yes it sucks that they didn't handle the physicality better and got off to a slow start against NW. We were still competitive against WSU for the most part and our resiliency against NW was admirable. We are also not at full strength. No big deal.
Yeah I see things the same way , while these 2 games were definitely a setback , we are still early in the process and this team will look a lot better in January and Feb
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 5 months ago

That guy is just on one.

Yeah I see things the same way , while these 2 games were definitely a setback , we are still early in the process and this team will look a lot better in January and Feb
Yeah Thursday was nice...since then the leagues fallen in its face.

Dayton can get an at large and that's it I think.

Cheers to beating them in the A-10 final!
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I had this team going 9 - 4 in OOC which looks like where they may end up . Sure I'm disappointed after showing such progress in the first three games ,
but i think they are right where i originally expected them to be . It would have been nice to pick one or two wins at mohegan but i guess that was
wishful thinking because they are not yet ready to compete at a high level apparently . As far as Archie is concerned , i think it is a little insane to
be expecting instant success . It took Hurley 3 seasons to even achieve a winning record and until his 5th season to make it to the Dance . I think we
have to give Archie at least 3 seasons to build something . We are barely into season 2 and some fans are ready to bail on him already ? Really?
5 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

KeaneyTheChemist wrote: 5 months ago I'm not trying to sound the alarm on this team but Archie has to eventually have a statement win in his second season. There is a tendency on this message board to keep blindly giving him second chances, which I understand to a degree since he did take over an abysmal roster from the David Cox days and has had to build from scratch. But truth be told, these past two games were simply a missed opportunity to prove himself early on this season. We were outrebounded, punched in the mouth, and unable to keep up with the opponent's pace in either game.

I believe people need to relax a little bit. Last year, building a good roster was nearly impossible based on the circumstances. Archie had a year off, and so did KJ. We had little to no money for NIL. Then we lost the best recruit, Bray. Another key recruit, Ant, never showed. Additionally, we lost our best player, Ish. Last year was just awful.

People are panicking about our frontcourt, and it seems like some of you are forgetting that these guys are literally playing their first real games at this level! Yes, they faced challenges, but I still see plenty of promise in these guys compared to our bigs last year. They played against two strong frontcourts, which was a great lesson for them. Now, they understand they have a lot of work to do to compete with the big boys. I feel like some people act as if all our great big men were incredible the moment they arrived here, and that's not always the case. They all had moments as freshmen, but plenty had bad games and growing pains.

Cyril's stats in his freshman year were 3.2 PPG and 4.5 rebounds.

Hass's stats in his freshman year were 6.2 PPG, 5.7 rebounds, and 2.5 blocks.

Foumena's stats 8.2 PPG and 4.8 rebounds.

Fuchs stats of 5.8 PPG and 6 rebounds.

This year, I want to see our young guys' potential while realizing they will have plenty of ups and downs as freshmen. We need to watch how these guys develop throughout the year. There's a lot to like in Foumena's game. Fuchs had a bad attitude this weekend, but I believe he'll bounce back. I've been highly optimistic about Cam since we signed him, and I think he'll keep improving. I'm unsure if Connor sticks around because he's so far away, but who knows.. Yes, I want to win every game, but my main goal is to have some key pieces to build around and pray that they stay... I think some guys on this roster could eventually be a part of an NCAA team, and I think a guy like Hammond is another one of those key pieces to build a program around. We must give Archie more time and be more realistic about who we are. This isn't going to be a quick fix.

However, if we suck and finish dead last in the A10 again, then I'll start to have plenty of doubts, but I think there is too much potential on their roster for that to happen.
7 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Agreed Steven - if we finish last or anywhere near the bottom of the A10 we have problems. Signature OOC wins are expected year three and on. If we got one this year that would be gravy.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don’t understand a lot of what this post is talking about. Nebraska came up as an analogy for the type of win that will signal that the program is stirring from its hibernation, but that wasn’t the program’s “last win over a quality opponent.” The overall situations of the program then and now are pretty analogous so it makes sense to bring it up.

As for the rest of it, just philosophically I’m diametrically opposed to what you’re saying here. The things you’re criticizing elements of the fan base for - patience, perspective, maturity - are in my view extremely important. Understanding the specifics of where we are right now (very inexperienced frontcourt which limits our potential to beat physically mature and experienced teams, today in November 2023) and not petulantly and unrealistically demanding a level of success we aren’t yet capable of is good.

Fan bases and athletic departments - especially ones with a finite amount of resources - that melt down when they don’t get instantaneous results put themselves in a cycle that makes sustainable success harder. (This idea is perfectly demonstrated by the infamous “Dan Hurley is the new Jim Baron” thread or whatever that abomination was called - that was I think in *year 4* of the Hurley era.)

If you’re confident that you’ve got the right guy then you need to have patience and perspective and stay the course. There’s no need to let emotion get the best of you and start panicking. Last year was a little tougher than I had expected but if I recalibrate my medium- and long-term expectations based on what turned out to be the starting point for Archie, things are more or less on schedule.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

You would’ve been one of the people chanting to fire hurley in the Baron 2.0 thread.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I haven't read through the entire thread...

With that said, it's hard to compare anyone to Hurley and the success that he had here. Hurley is proving with his recent run that he may literally be the BEST college basketball coach in America. At the very least he is in the conversation.

So to expect anyone to have immediate success anywhere close to Hurley is quite unfair. Given time, Archie has proven that he can build a sustained winner in the Atlantic 10. I am not comparing him to Hurley, but I trust Archie to achieve his own success here.
12 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I believe Archie is a good coach, but nobody is really a proven builder/winner at this level in this new portal/NIL error (play on words to explain how I feel). He was a proven builder/winner in the old system. This is new territory and I hope he can do it.

I think success will be much more uneven and harder to sustain in this new environment for teams in the middle like those in the A10. Though that has always been the case for us…good run, lose coach…bad hire…lose momentum and about a decade of relevance and repeat.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Chemist, if you just called me pitiful and pathetic…

I just may have to agree with that as I fall victim to it at times. Still have rose colored glasses lying around the house.

A strong medicine take right there. Tastes bad going down but it’s good for what ails me eventually.

Good passion. Just ease up on the reins a bit and try not to kill the patient.

Carry on.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Bos8 wrote: 5 months ago I haven't read through the entire thread...

With that said, it's hard to compare anyone to Hurley and the success that he had here. Hurley is proving with his recent run that he may literally be the BEST college basketball coach in America. At the very least he is in the conversation.

So to expect anyone to have immediate success anywhere close to Hurley is quite unfair. Given time, Archie has proven that he can build a sustained winner in the Atlantic 10. I am not comparing him to Hurley, but I trust Archie to achieve his own success here.
In my opinion, Dan is THE best college basketball coach right now. And even he did not have things humming here at this point in his tenure. As I mentioned above, I think the infamous Baron 2.0 thread happened in his fourth season lol. This stuff takes time.
4 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Bos8 wrote: 5 months ago I haven't read through the entire thread...

In my opinion, Dan is THE best college basketball coach right now. And even he did not have things humming here at this point in his tenure. As I mentioned above, I think the infamous Baron 2.0 thread happened in his fourth season lol. This stuff takes time.
I can’t think of another coach out there now that is as intense, driven, border-line maniacal as Dan. Combining that with the high basketball IQ he has makes him a great coach, imho.

The only thing that could potentially prevent him from being considered amongst the all-time college coaches, that I can see, is early burnout.

That’s how I see it from the cheap seats. I have no inside intel.
0 x
KeaneyTheChemist
Abdul Fox

Unread post by KeaneyTheChemist »

I just may have to agree with that as I fall victim to it at times. Still have rose colored glasses lying around the house.

A strong medicine take right there. Tastes bad going down but it’s good for what ails me eventually.

Carry on.
Alright, alright. It looks like I'm on track to being a designated hater on this message board and that honestly wasn't my intention. So since what I said is a bit of an overreaction on my part, I'll try to clarify some things.

My biggest long-term concern for this team is that we keep amplifying the team's improvement to be more significant than it actually is and that we mislabel stagnation as progress. I don't think we'll end up with the record we did in Archie's first season and I do see many improvements already with player talent and development. But it's not unrealistic to have expectations that a rebuilding team in year 2 can get some quality win. We shouldn't try setting these minimum waiting times (like 'wait until year 3 or 4') to start wanting to see big results. Probably the best thing about statement wins is that they are an important confidence boost and do great things for the team mentality. Of course, a team without Q1 and Q2 wins is still on the right track by focusing on improving individual player skills, acquiring more team chemistry, and mastering basketball fundamentals, but it's still nice to get that clear-cut proof early in the rebuild that you're built to complete.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

When you threw out the line about "For the money URI is shelling out to pay Archie" it sounded like the next words out of your mouth were going to be about how you are a tax payer, and that money is coming right out of your pocket, damnit.

"I need my street repaved! They haven't put fresh coat of asphalt on my three house, dead-end road in almost 15 years! Infrastructure, damnit! Reallocate the resources! Get David Cox back and pay him the $700k he was making and then lose all you want, see if I care!"

lol
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

KeaneyTheChemist wrote: 5 months ago

Carry on.
Alright, alright. It looks like I'm on track to being a designated hater on this message board and that honestly wasn't my intention. So since what I said is a bit of an overreaction on my part, I'll try to clarify some things.

My biggest long-term concern for this team is that we keep amplifying the team's improvement to be more significant than it actually is and that we mislabel stagnation as progress. I don't think we'll end up with the record we did in Archie's first season and I do see many improvements already with player talent and development. But it's not unrealistic to have expectations that a rebuilding team in year 2 can get some quality win. We shouldn't try setting these minimum waiting times (like 'wait until year 3 or 4') to start wanting to see big results. Probably the best thing about statement wins is that they are an important confidence boost and do great things for the team mentality. Of course, a team without Q1 and Q2 wins is still on the right track by focusing on improving individual player skills, acquiring more team chemistry, and mastering basketball fundamentals, but it's still nice to get that clear-cut proof early in the rebuild that you're built to complete.
Well yeah we have to beat someone with a pulse at some point. Dan beat LSU and Archie's elite 8 Dayton team in year two. He also got murdered by SMU and Arizona in November that season.

I dont think anyone here will settle for another season remotely like last year. We all pretty much agree that we need to see tournament level potential from this current Rhody Ram team. We will all know whether we are in good shape or not by the end of the year.

We've arguably already seen a massive jump from last year. The first 3 games clearly indicated that.

We were far more competitive against NW and WSU than we would have been last year. Lots of bad, but a clear step up. Heck if Fuchs doesn't singlehandedly wreck that first half against WSU it could have been a totally different game.

Big opportunity against Yale Sunday. They are a very solid team and they actually do have some legit P5 size. A win there I think would be a signature one for this group.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

URI beating Yale at home in November will never be a “signature” win no matter what state the program is in.

It’s Yale. It’s the Ivy League.

Winning that game isn’t going to move the needle one iota on any front.

Even typing that out just shows how far expectations for the program have fallen, regardless of it being Year 2 with Archie.

A signature win would have been beating Northwestern, a tournament team with an All American.

I don’t know if I would even count beating Wash St on a neutral court a signature win.
4 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Would beating Princeton this year be a signature win? I think so. They are an Ivy League team that's getting top 25 votes and just made the Sweet 16. The only team that was picked over Princeton this year was Yale. Now I agree I probably wouldn't call Yale a "signature win" as they didn't start out as strong as Princeton has, but I think it may be our best win of the nonconference if we do beat them. I don't expect to beat PC. Yale will be a tough team to beat even at home.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago URI beating Yale at home in November will never be a “signature” win no matter what state the program is in.

It’s Yale. It’s the Ivy League.

Winning that game isn’t going to move the needle one iota on any front.

Even typing that out just shows how far expectations for the program have fallen, regardless of it being Year 2 with Archie.

A signature win would have been beating Northwestern, a tournament team with an All American.

I don’t know if I would even count beating Wash St on a neutral court a signature win.
Agree. You would hope we have higher standards than beating a team that just lost to Weber State
1 x