11/19 | Washington St | 3:30PM (ESPNU) | Hall of Fame Tip-Off

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: 11/19 | Washington St | 3:30PM (ESPNU) | Hall of Fame Tip-Off

Unread post by ramster »

theblueram wrote: 5 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago

Hurley beat #21 Nebraska year 2. Made the NIT year 3. Tick tock, tick tock. Archie needs to get this thing going.
Yea “tick tock” times definitely running out on Archie. On the hot seat already.

You’re totally right.
Did I say hot seat? Nope, you did.
Not a chance Miller is on the Hot Seat 5 games into Year 2. No Coach would be termed on the Hot Seat just starting their 2nd year of an obvious rebuilt, especially a Head Coach with the credentials of Archie Miller.
Pretty clear that Theblueram was talking to SteveyStuds expectations for the program this year, next year and in year 4.

You misinterpreted Theblueram and you're completely wrong stating Archie is on the Hot Seat. No possible way.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago
jcru wrote: 5 months ago
RIFan wrote: 5 months ago Thankfully I missed the second half meltdown. You can’t compare Hurley’s timeline to success with Archie’s. Archie has the new portal and was able to purge and add 9 new players, some with college experience. If this weekend is indicative of what we are in for this season, I’d say we are way behind schedule.
Live by the portal, die by the portal.

You can't really make that apples to apple assessment, because the portal giveth and the portal taketh away. Hurley didn't have to worry about his best players being poached by P5 teams while he was building a roster, let's not forget.
Exactly…. Great post. It would have been incredibly hard for Dan to keep guys like EC JT Hass at URI all four years… The top programs in the country would have offered them a lot more than we ever could.
I doubt EC and JT would have come here in today's landscape. Maybe Hass because of his injury in HS and our connection with him. But EC and JT? I doubt it.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 5 months ago And yes, Hammond and Estevez will make a fun backcourt to watch. IF Estevez stays.............
And if Hammond doesn't de-commit. Nothing is a given anymore. An entire high school season to be played yet.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 5 months ago

Yea “tick tock” times definitely running out on Archie. On the hot seat already.

You’re totally right.
Not a chance Miller is on the Hot Seat 5 games into Year 2. No Coach would be termed on the Hot Seat just starting their 2nd year of an obvious rebuilt, especially a Head Coach with the credentials of Archie Miller.
Pretty clear that Theblueram was talking to SteveyStuds expectations for the program this year, next year and in year 4.

You misinterpreted Theblueram and you're completely wrong stating Archie is on the Hot Seat. No possible way.
Dude, I don’t believe he’s on the hot seat at all. Blueram giving Archie a tick tock clock made it seem like there’s some clock going down and Archie needs to figure it out soon.

This was not a 2 year fix. Nobody should have thought we’d win these games.

Thought were played much better yesterday than today.

You still thinking Always should start and play over Kortright?
2 x
Go Rhody
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

True the portal gives and takes. Well, I guess we don’t expect to have that kind of success again(Hurley). If we wont be able to keep our best freshman…how many people think Cam will make it to his junior year here?
Last edited by RIFan 5 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

RIFan wrote: 5 months ago Thankfully I missed the second half meltdown. You can’t compare Hurley’s timeline to success with Archie’s. Archie has the new portal and was able to purge and add 9 new players, some with college experience. If this weekend is indicative of what we are in for this season, I’d say we are way behind schedule.
Live by the portal, die by the portal.

You can't really make that apples to apple assessment, because the portal giveth and the portal taketh away. Hurley didn't have to worry about his best players being poached by P5 teams while he was building a roster, let's not forget.
Agreed and great point

I think we all agree that we are lucky to have Archie as our head coach so let’s keep our chins up as we will be back and it won’t be a one and done
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 months ago

You’re totally right.
Hot seat ?

He is a great coach and I wouldn’t want anyone else coaching our team

Do I want us to be better at this time - of course

But the fact that we aren’t doesn’t mean I would want any other coach

I am personally giving him more of a leash

He’ll get us there and stay there
There is no way Archie Miller is in the Hot Seat Rhody15. He is 5 games into year 2.
Ramster, in defense of 15, it was theblueram who posted “tick tock,tick tock” which Translator15 graciously translated to mean “hot seat” for the good of the board because I guess we can’t translate posts ourselves and TBR doesn’t know what he posted.

Of course, TBR posted that isn’t the correct translation but Translator15 disagrees.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dude, I don’t believe he’s on the hot seat at all. Blueram giving Archie a tick tock clock made it seem like there’s some clock going down and Archie needs to figure it out soon.

Ha
You got caught
You said exactly what you thought. It came out.
Now you are trying to put the cat back in the bag and blame it on Theblueram.

You have always been the poster I'd bet on who would light the fuse on Archie bring in the Hot Seat and there it was.

A bit sooner than even I expected but it was for sure coming for before this season was over.
Pure gold.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

This isn’t the Red Sox front office, Archie is here to build and sustain success, it’s been 1-1/16 seasons so far, we are still building.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Ha
You got caught

You have always been the poster I'd bet on who would light the fuse on Archie bring in the Hot Seat and there it was.

A bit sooner than even I expected but it was for sure coming for before this season was over.
Pure gold.
🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂 you are a true gem and frankly don’t know much basketball at all, so not surprised by this.

Yea dude, I’ve been trashing Archie since day 1 and hate everything he’s done, ya caught me.

The fact I get under your skin so much you actually went to the mods asking me if I was 2 posters is next level hilarious, and pretty sad.

BlueRam literally gave Archie a goddamn tick tock clock in the post, insinuating something.
Last edited by Rhody15 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 5 months ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 months ago

Hot seat ?

He is a great coach and I wouldn’t want anyone else coaching our team

Do I want us to be better at this time - of course

But the fact that we aren’t doesn’t mean I would want any other coach

I am personally giving him more of a leash

He’ll get us there and stay there
There is no way Archie Miller is in the Hot Seat Rhody15. He is 5 games into year 2.
Ramster, in defense of 15, it was theblueram who posted “tick tock,tick tock” which Translator15 graciously translated to mean “hot seat” for the good of the board because I guess we can’t translate posts ourselves and TBR doesn’t know what he posted.

Of course, TBR posted that isn’t the correct translation but Translator15 disagrees.
Jdrums,
If you read the discussion between Stevey and theblueram it's very clear theblueram is simply stating a need for urgency to more forward.
The Hot Seat is just typical pot stirring.
But even more than pot stirring I think KB Moderator #4, Friar15, Translator15, Potstirer15 or whatever I'm not surprised to have the very first use of the words Hot Seat for Archie Miller come from 15.

5 games into Year 2 - Hot Seat surfaces
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ha
You got caught

Pure gold.
🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂 you are a true gem and frankly don’t know much basketball at all, so not surprised by this.

Yea dude, I’ve been trashing Archie since day 1 and hate everything he’s done, ya caught me.

The fact I get under your skin so much you actually went to the mods asking me I was 2 poster is next level hilarious, and pretty sad.

BlueRam literally gave Archie a goddamn tick tock clock in the post, insinuating something.
You translated incorrectly
Your reading comprehension problem once again got you in trouble
There was no Hot Seat discussion. You twisted it into Hot Seat

Nobody said Hot Seat but you.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody Sody wrote: 5 months ago

Nice to know we have a KB translator to TELL us what WE post. It’s so nice of 15 to provide the service. :lol:
The dude said “tick tock” insinuating times running out on Archie to provide results. What the hell else is it suppose to mean? Time isn’t running out at all. There is no “tick tock” for Miller.

Nobody should’ve thought we’d be winning either of these games.
Spot on! 0-2 was the most probable result, was hoping for 1. If anyone realistically expected us to win both after a 9 win season they need their head checked. We played better than last year’s team and had a couple positives…that’s a win. Rhody is still a 15-20 win team depending on how much they improve throughout the year. Nice improvement YOY and Archie is not on the hot seat. Loved Sebastian Thomas and his heart but he would have been blocked 10 times this weekend by their bigs.
When I read that Rhody was -1 vs NW...I did think there was a chance...
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I dont really get the hand wringing yet.

I'm concerned about some things, but we were at a size disadvantage that we won't see in conference play.

It's also encouraging that we will have more size and skill in conference play once Bilau is ready. Brown, Fou and Fuchs will all have several more games under their belts by then. Fuchs certainly needs a wake up call, but I think Brown made some strides today. He played pretty well actually.

We are just an inexperienced group still trying to figure things out. It's early, long season ahead and it wasn't all bad....but when it was bad it was really bad at times lol the mistakes on top of mistakes and it seemed to happen every time we made a run. Just could never sustain a rhythm.

Bright side is we haven't played bad against crappy teams and the bad side is we aren't ready for P5 level teams yet.

I know people consider this an excuse....but we are still working with an incomplete team. We know we are getting Bilau back. Weston will get healthier and provide us with another scoring threat. The NCAA is screwing us over with Green. Period. There's all these other players getting waivers and it's bs that he hasn't yet, when he only played in 6 freaking games last year. The staff I think expected him to be eligible, kind of a risk, but the NCAA is dropping the ball here. At least give us a ruling. Let us have a full team.

Get some rest, heal up, destroy JW, get confidence and make it hard on Yale when they come in here. Winning either of these games would have been a major step in the right direction. But meh, didn't happen. Not there yet.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jdrums,
If you read the discussion between Stevey and theblueram it's very clear theblueram is simply stating a need for urgency to more forward.
But even more than pot stirring I think KB Moderator #4, Friar15, Translator15, Potstirer15 or whatever I'm not surprised to have the very first use of the words Hot Seat for Archie Miller come from 15.

I know, Ramster. It was a tongue-in-cheek post. ;)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums,

I know, Ramster. It was a tongue-in-cheek post. ;)
I know it too.
But the Hot Seat came out. Gotta luv it. Couldn't help himself.

Ever think there are some posters who revel in URI losing both games in Mohegan?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 5 months ago Nice to know we have a KB translator to TELL us what WE post. It’s so nice of 15 to provide the service. :lol:
You too?

Yeah, I said something to the effect of "Wright will push Kortright for the job, minutes, etc" that somehow got "translated" in 15's mind as Kortright will be benched in favor of Wright.

Let's forget that the first few games of the season Archie was playing Wright at PG and one game Wright had 10 assists. Clearly Kortright is better defensively than Wright, NO ONE ever questioned that.
Not this time. TBR and Stevey were the victims tonight. But it’s a matter of time for all of us. :lol:
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Disappointed yes, I was hoping for maybe a split but did predict we would go 0-2.
The sky isn't falling, and these 2 teams were night and day from the previous 3, plus we were away from the RC for the first time.

Remember all 3 of our bigs had 0 Div.1 experience going into this season, so I am not shocked they were schooled by both Northwestern and WSU. This was a hard lesson but maybe will benefit them in the long run, Archie will have lots of video to work with.

This season because of our new roster and youth along with inexperience, I try not to get too excited with our early wins or too low with our recent losses. I have faith that we will see lots of improvement but again be patient because it will take time.

I still feel confident with our core group and recruits going forward and don't see a need yet for another major rebuild.
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey, you obviously don’t know what you are posting about so I will translate your post for you.

You clearly believe that we stink away from the Ryan Center and therefore you are insinuating that Archie sucks as a road game coach.

That’s preposterous! Outrageous!

I have no choice but to question your basketball knowledge. ;)

Yours truly, Translator15

:lol:
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

BREAKING: we are somewhere between the low major level and the power 5 conference level in terms of quality at this stage.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It would have been awesome if we went down to Connecticut and wildly outperformed our expectations, but that we didn’t really shouldn’t come as a shock.

I think by being clearly better than the low major teams we opened with and clearly not as good as the power conference teams we faced over the weekend, that probably makes us your average A10 team at this point. That’s a step in the right direction from last year, and I’d expect that this team will continue to improve as the year goes on - assuming that the wheels don’t come off like they did last year, which at this point I see nothing to make me concerned about that.
7 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah it’s going to take awhile to gel because our starting 5 is all new and most of the bench

I just looked @ the schedule again and 8-5 seems about right and where most thought
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 5 months ago Yeah it’s going to take awhile to gel because our starting 5 is all new and most of the bench

I just looked @ the schedule again and 8-5 seems about right and where most thought
The only game that doesn't look that winnable right now is Providence.

Based off the first three games we know we can handle JW, Yale, Brown, Charleston, Delaware, UNH and Northeastern physically. We are more athletic than all of those teams so I think we have a pretty good shot at finishing 10-3.

It's going to be ugly against JW...they lost to Salve Regina 46-79, WPI 51-85 and Ithaca 70-93. I mean that will be a slaughter. Pad your stats boys! Lol

Yale is a huge game. We'll see how they really respond then. Archie said the target time for Bilau's return is after Thanksgiving so maybe we see him then.
0 x
SimpleJack
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by SimpleJack »

Honestly very surprised to see all of the negativity here. The arrow is clearly pointing way up on us. I am very encouraged by how we have looked compared to last year. This team would beat last year’s team by 50. Coming into the year I was personally hopeful we would finish top 8 or 9 in the A10 and start heading in the right direction. After seeing us through five games, I’d be very surprised if we don’t finish in the top 6 with the potential to finish even higher. This team is legit. Everyone needs to take it down a notch and just let things play out before deciding what we are.
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This would be a welcomed development. Maybe he’s been told he’ll be cleared for second semester.

4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago This would be a welcomed development. Maybe he’s been told he’ll be cleared for second semester.

Conference play really all that matters at this point, hopefully this is what he’s referring to.
2 x
Go Rhody
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Seems like it.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If eligible for conference play, how many seasons we thinking he has left?

Rest of this year and all of next year?
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago If eligible for conference play, how many seasons we thinking he has left?

Rest of this year and all of next year?
I stopped speculating on these tweets, who knows?

If waiver approved, the rest of this season, and possibly 2 more.
That is if he gets a medical hardship waiver for 22-23, providing they can prove his injuries were season ending.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Reinforcements are needed.
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 months ago Reinforcements are needed.
I’m hoping Bilau gives us a major major lift down low.

If he stays healthy (big if) I think he will.
Last edited by Rhody15 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I'm ready to talk about it.

If I'm being honest I didn't expect it to go this way - I thought we'd beat NW and lose to Miss State going in. I said this weekend would be a measuring stick, and we were certainly measured.

Overall - I think most people had us at 8-4 OOC. I was leaning more 9-3, figuring we'd get NW. I don't think the W/L results this weekend changed anything about our season. I think we have talent, I think they need to improve, I think they will, and I think the A10 sucks. That's still a recipe for us to make some tweaks, finish the OOC strong, and have a very good showing during conference play. Maybe this weekend will serve as a shakeup.

The good:

Zek Montgomery. Holy hell do we have a player. The only one to consistently show up this weekend. When we needed a bucket, he was there. Great defensive plays. All over the place. He was ready for the challenge, he is going to be the dependable guy it looks like. May not always be the leading scorer but he's clearly our most important player at this point.

Cam Estevez. Tom Ryan back up the NIL brinks truck please. Baller. Period. He was who Washington State was making changes against. They killed us with a 2-3 zone and Estevez shot them out of it. Both games he was the sparkplug. Absolute playmaker who's definitely the first guy off the bench. Can create, can shoot. Not there yet defensively, but you need that kid on the court in a scoring drought.

Kortright. Not his best game against NW and Boo, but man oh man did he turn it around against some big physical guards yesterday. Guy did everything from everywhere from the 3 point line to under the hoop. The most productive lineup on the floor had Louie, Zek, and Cam out there.

The bad:

House. WTF man. You can't come out and talk about how you're not scared of any competition and then straight up disappear. Incredibly disappointing. He was trying way too hard and forcing things that he couldn't get. He couldn't contend with WSU's length and he was just trying to jam a square peg in a round hole all day. Reminded me a lot of the bad part of Fatts - just head down and trying to do something when the right play was to kick it out. -17.1 against NW.

Arch. I'm an Arch guy, he's the right guy, we're on track with him, he'll lead us to the promised land and I think the end of this season is going to finish a lot better than we've started. That said he got out-coached yesterday. Estevez was the key on offense and he didn't see enough burn. WSU was going to a zone when Estevez was out and we never made the adjustment to keep him on the floor. Down the stretch it should've been Luis/Cam/Zek and more Foumena. And I'd love to know why it's OK for Fuchs to shoot 3's but not Foumena. I'd also love to know why Fuchs leash was so long and Fou's was so short. Fuchs playing too long and Cam not playing enough was the difference yesterday.

Ways. Tough weekend. Worst +/- on the team against NW. -19.4. Didn't really get anything going. 1:3 A:TO ain't gonna do it.

The ugly:

Fuchs. Immediate Onyekaba alert. Dominated the lesser teams and just flat didn't show up when it mattered. My issue is rarely talent, but lack of effort goes right up my ass. This kid couldn't be bothered to rebound or run up the court. He got torched. For some reason he would hold the ball for 5-10 seconds at the top of the key and try to run the offense. He got dominated up and down the court. He couldn't be bothered to jump for a rebound. He was responsible for at least 5 TO's himself, and he contributed to another 1 or 2. He singlehandedly lost this game. Do you know how hard it is to play 16 minutes and record a -25.1. MINUS TWENTY FIVE. That was against WSU. He was an electric -13.8 against NW. Dear God can we get Bilau/Green in here because if I never saw that kid play again I'd be fine.

All in all, W/L keeps us right at most people's expectations. 9-3/8-4 still in tact. Certainly not how we wanted to play all weekend. If I'm trying to put a positive spin on it, we played 55/80 minutes of really good basketball. Unfortunately those other 15 minutes were absolute diarrhea and cost us 2 games.

I think there's enough in here to say we can still compete in the A10. Honestly there was enough in there to beat NW and keep it very close/beat WSU if the lineups were managed better in game 2, and if we just showed up the first 9 mins of game 1.

Onward and upward. Go Rhody.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago This would be a welcomed development. Maybe he’s been told he’ll be cleared for second semester.

If he gets his appeal approved and we didn’t get him for this last weekend I’m going to be pissed. He would’ve been a difference maker.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago I think we have talent, I think they need to improve, I think they will, and I think the A10 sucks.
Yup x4
4 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Did the three early wins over cupcakes (now sporting a combined 3-10 record) lull us into elevated optimism over this team's talent? Certainly the Mohegan games showed a lack of toughness and teamwork. Getting concerned.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago I'm ready to talk about it.

If I'm being honest I didn't expect it to go this way - I thought we'd beat NW and lose to Miss State going in. I said this weekend would be a measuring stick, and we were certainly measured.

Overall - I think most people had us at 8-4 OOC. I was leaning more 9-3, figuring we'd get NW. I don't think the W/L results this weekend changed anything about our season. I think we have talent, I think they need to improve, I think they will, and I think the A10 sucks. That's still a recipe for us to make some tweaks, finish the OOC strong, and have a very good showing during conference play. Maybe this weekend will serve as a shakeup.

The good:

Zek Montgomery. Holy hell do we have a player. The only one to consistently show up this weekend. When we needed a bucket, he was there. Great defensive plays. All over the place. He was ready for the challenge, he is going to be the dependable guy it looks like. May not always be the leading scorer but he's clearly our most important player at this point.

Cam Estevez. Tom Ryan back up the NIL brinks truck please. Baller. Period. He was who Washington State was making changes against. They killed us with a 2-3 zone and Estevez shot them out of it. Both games he was the sparkplug. Absolute playmaker who's definitely the first guy off the bench. Can create, can shoot. Not there yet defensively, but you need that kid on the court in a scoring drought.

Kortright. Not his best game against NW and Boo, but man oh man did he turn it around against some big physical guards yesterday. Guy did everything from everywhere from the 3 point line to under the hoop. The most productive lineup on the floor had Louie, Zek, and Cam out there.

The bad:

House. WTF man. You can't come out and talk about how you're not scared of any competition and then straight up disappear. Incredibly disappointing. He was trying way too hard and forcing things that he couldn't get. He couldn't contend with WSU's length and he was just trying to jam a square peg in a round hole all day. Reminded me a lot of the bad part of Fatts - just head down and trying to do something when the right play was to kick it out. -17.1 against NW.

Arch. I'm an Arch guy, he's the right guy, we're on track with him, he'll lead us to the promised land and I think the end of this season is going to finish a lot better than we've started. That said he got out-coached yesterday. Estevez was the key on offense and he didn't see enough burn. WSU was going to a zone when Estevez was out and we never made the adjustment to keep him on the floor. Down the stretch it should've been Luis/Cam/Zek and more Foumena. And I'd love to know why it's OK for Fuchs to shoot 3's but not Foumena. I'd also love to know why Fuchs leash was so long and Fou's was so short. Fuchs playing too long and Cam not playing enough was the difference yesterday.

Ways. Tough weekend. Worst +/- on the team against NW. -19.4. Didn't really get anything going. 1:3 A:TO ain't gonna do it.

The ugly:

Fuchs. Immediate Onyekaba alert. Dominated the lesser teams and just flat didn't show up when it mattered. My issue is rarely talent, but lack of effort goes right up my ass. This kid couldn't be bothered to rebound or run up the court. He got torched. For some reason he would hold the ball for 5-10 seconds at the top of the key and try to run the offense. He got dominated up and down the court. He couldn't be bothered to jump for a rebound. He was responsible for at least 5 TO's himself, and he contributed to another 1 or 2. He singlehandedly lost this game. Do you know how hard it is to play 16 minutes and record a -25.1. MINUS TWENTY FIVE. That was against WSU. He was an electric -13.8 against NW. Dear God can we get Bilau/Green in here because if I never saw that kid play again I'd be fine.

All in all, W/L keeps us right at most people's expectations. 9-3/8-4 still in tact. Certainly not how we wanted to play all weekend. If I'm trying to put a positive spin on it, we played 55/80 minutes of really good basketball. Unfortunately those other 15 minutes were absolute diarrhea and cost us 2 games.

I think there's enough in here to say we can still compete in the A10. Honestly there was enough in there to beat NW and keep it very close/beat WSU if the lineups were managed better in game 2, and if we just showed up the first 9 mins of game 1.

Speaking of Cam and backing up the NIL brinks truck, I think we'll know in a 2 or 3 years how successful we can be in today's landscape going forward and sustaining success. The question is: Can Archie keep Cam Estevez here for 4 years and can Archie keep Ben Hammond here for 4 years? Archie himself has said that they key to building a great program is getting young talent here, developing them and, I believe Archie's term was 'getting old' together and keep repeating that cycle. Dan did it by getting EC and Hass first. Then Jared and Jarvis. Then Jeff and Cyril. These 6 came in as young talent, were developed and 'grew old' together. As we know many things have changed in a short period of time with the portal and NIL. It's much more challenging to build a team that way now. But, if we're going to be great in 2 or 3 years, Cam and Ben will be the foundation pieces. Will they both be here is the question.
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

We gotta pump the breaks on having Estevez leave already.

People here talked about House doing a grad transfer year at a P6 after the first 3 games. He struggled mightily this weekend.

Cam had one very good game this weekend against NW, we can’t already start worrying about him leaving. It’ll drive everyone crazy if we do this after each good game of his.
3 x
Go Rhody
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RIFan wrote: 5 months ago True the portal gives and takes. Well, I guess we don’t expect to have that kind of success again(Hurley). If we wont be able to keep our best freshman…how many people think Cam will make it to his junior year here?
Unfortunately for teams like URI I think it's gonna be more taking than giving unless changes are made.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Exactly 15. Every coach has to keep recruiting kids during season. But we cannot have this convo every time a FR has a strong game. Save it all for post season talk. Archie is well aware he needs to retain his best talent.
4 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RI_Bred wrote: 5 months ago
RIFan wrote: 5 months ago True the portal gives and takes. Well, I guess we don’t expect to have that kind of success again(Hurley). If we wont be able to keep our best freshman…how many people think Cam will make it to his junior year here?
Unfortunately for teams like URI I think it's gonna be more taking than giving unless changes are made.
The NCAA is already clamping down on second-time waivers, so I would think House and Montgomery are ours to "keep" until they become pros or graduate transfers.

Given how back-and-forth our schedule has been so far this year - Northwestern (57) and Washington State (70), Wagner (309) and Central Connecticut (322) - I don't really know who's good beyond them and Kortright, though. (Not saying I'm in love with Kortright as a starting PG, but I think he's at least a guy that can be in a rotation of a decent team.) Wright, Dubsky and Stewart are the only three that clearly seem like "need more seasoning" or "fine if they transfer" types to me so far.

Fuchs crapped the bed against Washington State, but he's our third or fourth big man, depending on how Bilau plays when he gets back. I'm also less bullish on Bilau than others. I want him to be healthy, but he was hurt at the start of 2022-23 before his season-ending injury, and his time at Wichita State was also full of nagging injuries, according to his bio. I think its fine to have more of a "finesse" big man or stretch 4 type to use against teams with less size. Foumena, Brown and Fuchs have all been better than last year's frontcourt, although I realize how "damning with faint praise" that is.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SGreenwell wrote: 5 months ago
RI_Bred wrote: 5 months ago
The NCAA is already clamping down on second-time waivers, so I would think House and Montgomery are ours to "keep" until they become pros or graduate transfers.

Given how back-and-forth our schedule has been so far this year - Northwestern (57) and Washington State (70), Wagner (309) and Central Connecticut (322) - I don't really know who's good beyond them and Kortright, though. (Not saying I'm in love with Kortright as a starting PG, but I think he's at least a guy that can be in a rotation of a decent team.) Wright, Dubsky and Stewart are the only three that clearly seem like "need more seasoning" or "fine if they transfer" types to me so far.

Fuchs crapped the bed against Washington State, but he's our third or fourth big man, depending on how Bilau plays when he gets back. I'm also less bullish on Bilau than others. I want him to be healthy, but he was hurt at the start of 2022-23 before his season-ending injury, and his time at Wichita State was also full of nagging injuries, according to his bio. I think its fine to have more of a "finesse" big man or stretch 4 type to use against teams with less size. Foumena, Brown and Fuchs have all been better than last year's frontcourt, although I realize how "damning with faint praise" that is.
House and Kortright would be grad transfers next year and immediately eligible wherever they would go.
0 x
Go Rhody
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

House and Kortright would be grad transfers next year and immediately eligible wherever they would go.
Just a quick note on that- they would actually have to graduate in order to qualify for that. I say that with absolutely no inside knowledge on either players academic situation. I will point out that sometimes transferring can throw off credits and graduation timelines. Just worth pointing out.
3 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Who has connections to the team here? Someone figure out if Green got his waiver accepted! He said "won't be too long" on X
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rhodyram22 wrote: 5 months ago Who has connections to the team here? Someone figure out if Green got his waiver accepted! He said "won't be too long" on X
Yeah I just looked at that

Who knows what that means. Could mean for next year, maybe means this year.

You'd think he'd only say something about it if he felt some good news was coming...
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago
rhodyram22 wrote: 5 months ago Who has connections to the team here? Someone figure out if Green got his waiver accepted! He said "won't be too long" on X
Yeah I just looked at that

Who knows what that means. Could mean for next year, maybe means this year.

You'd think he'd only say something about it if he felt some good news was coming...
Right... I doubt he'd say that unless he was coming back at some point this season.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ram1980 wrote: 5 months ago So much for cautiously optimistic. Hugely disappointing weekend. Same crap we've seen the last few years. Soft as marshmallows underneath Defense is not good and we never change it up. Guards that keep forcing it in traffic and no one that can shoot the 3: pointer. Supposed to be a transition oriented team. Can't do that lf you don't rebound. Get some shooters. If they aren't strong man to man here's an idea play zone for a short time if you have to. Teams are going to clog the lane against us and we are going to struggle.
Jaden House is shooting 3's at a 41.2% rate and Cam Estevez is shooting them at 38.5%. You've got 3 players shooting even better than Cam but they haven't taken enough to qualify for the national leaderboard (need 2.5 3 point shots per game and play in 75% of school's games). The three point shooting on this team so far is much better than last year and is not the issue people have made it out to be. That's an out of date take
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago I'm ready to talk about it.

The good:

The bad:

The ugly:

Mostly agree but Cam didn’t force them to go zone. He didn’t hit a 3 yesterday. They went zone to shut off us putting Kortright in iso and him backing his man down to the block. He had 4-5 baskets straight doing that.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

SimpleJack wrote: 5 months ago Honestly very surprised to see all of the negativity here. The arrow is clearly pointing way up on us. I am very encouraged by how we have looked compared to last year. This team would beat last year’s team by 50. Coming into the year I was personally hopeful we would finish top 8 or 9 in the A10 and start heading in the right direction. After seeing us through five games, I’d be very surprised if we don’t finish in the top 6 with the potential to finish even higher. This team is legit. Everyone needs to take it down a notch and just let things play out before deciding what we are.
I hear ya, SimpleJack. For myself, I usually ride the emotional rollercoaster thrill ride on game days and get frustrated but, you are correct, we are moving in the right direction and the team is capable of doing well in conference.

Rhody game day is about as close to a real rollercoaster I get these days. :lol:
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago

.500 this year
Top 4 A10 team next year possible NIT team
Compete for a bid year 4

That’s what I want and I think it’s realistic. It’s not easy winning at URI but I think Archie will do it. I don’t expect him to do it in two seasons though.
Hurley beat #21 Nebraska year 2. Made the NIT year 3. Tick tock, tick tock. Archie needs to get this thing going.
He beat them in year 3

Hurley's second team got waxed similarly against good teams.
Also that #21 Nebraska team finished the year 13-18 and 5-13 in the Big 10. It was a great night to be a fan, but they were massively overrated
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

What!!!! 15 did you see this???? They said David Green could be our best player???!!!!! Those idiots!!! Make sure you call them out on that immediately...
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Obadiah wrote: 5 months ago Did the three early wins over cupcakes (now sporting a combined 3-10 record) lull us into elevated optimism over this team's talent? Certainly the Mohegan games showed a lack of toughness and teamwork. Getting concerned.
Ob, I am concerned but I think we will turn it around. Some of the things I am concerned with - in no particular order: Fuchs effort; defensive rebounding; foul shooting %; bench scoring; House bouncing back from poor play this weekend; bouts of sloppy play. That’s a quick list off the top of my head.

What are you seeing that concerns you?
0 x