11/18 | Northwestern | 2:30PM (ESPN+) | Hall of Fame Tip-Off

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Re: 11/18 | Northwestern | 2:30PM (ESPN+) | Hall of Fame Tip-Off

Unread post by The Dude »

I didn't watch the game (at children's museum with the kids), but from what I can see on the ESPN app play by play, it seems the team couldn't hit the broad side of a barn for the first 12+ minutes of the game. Then they got a bucket with 7:39 left in the half and began mounting an impressive comeback after being down 20 points. By halftime they were down by just 7.
My thoughts:
- Not surprised at all by the slow start. It's their first "real" decent competition and it was at Mohegan. I imagine some jitters and nerves played a part in guys being a little off before settling in to the game. They got punched in the mouth.
- They responded to getting punched in the mouth by clawing back 13 points, out of the 20 point deficit in 7 minutes of play. That's pretty damn encouraging to see!
- Then they were pretty much toe to toe in the second half.
- Cam stepped up. Impressive for a Freshman. I love it!
- In my opinion, if Jaden isn't slumping a bit (wasn't great offensively last game either) and gets 17 points (near his average from last year) it's a different ball game even with the free throw and defensive rebounding issues.
- I fully expect this team to look remarkably different come A10 play. They can definitely compete and I see improvement already in a number of guys.
Last edited by The Dude 5 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
6 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

We had a total of only 6 assists

Northwestern had 17 assists

Our Point Guard Kortright had zero assists in 34 minutes

Not a lot of ball movement
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Couple things.

1. Think I’m out on Tyson Brown for now. Hasn’t impressed, and got pulled early for Cam. He’s just not making much of an impact.

2. We pass too much. Last game, Archie called a TO and told Zek SHOOT IT. Thought we were too unselfish today. Too many extra passes.

Onto Wash St.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Tough to say we passed too much when we had 6 assists

Most everything we got was off iso or individual play. Not a formula for success. We got easy offense in our first three games there was none of that today

No one in our league will be as physical as a Big10 team so I’m not giving up on our bigs today. They had their first dose of real P5 front line.

Jaden needed some of those early shots to fall - when they didn’t he pressed and pressed and pressed. He’ll learn.

Cam coming out party. People forget he was the highest rated recruit that came into the league from the NEPSAC.
5 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago Couple things.

1. Think I’m out on Tyson Brown for now. Hasn’t impressed, and got pulled early for Cam. He’s just not making much of an impact.

2. We pass too much. Last game, Archie called a TO and told Zek SHOOT IT. Thought we were too unselfish today. Too many extra passes.

Onto Wash St.
Further proof that Arch is a genius...
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Today, one of the NW players tapped Fuchs on the shoulder and said, excuse me, Mr Fuchs? You dropped this.

And handed him his ass.

Fuchs and Brown looked shell shocked at how aggressive and physical NW's frontcourt players were. Foumena not so much, he seemed more comfortable with it.

That being said, it's not about what happened out there today, as much as it is about how they respond to it the next game or three.
4 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Just got back. Brutal, brutal start. 2 points in over 12 minutes. NW just played bully ball during that time. They were so much more physical, I think it caught Rhody off guard. They will learn from that and come out tougher to start I hope. Let's get a win tomorrow!!!
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Has anybody else noticed how Fuchs boxes out? Instead of using his butt and elbows, he uses his chest. He faces his man with his back to the basket. He even does this on free throws. I'm pretty sure the staff isn't teaching it this way.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago Has anybody else noticed how Fuchs boxes out? Instead of using his butt and elbows, he uses his chest. He faces his man with his back to the basket. He even does this on free throws. I'm pretty sure the staff isn't teaching it this way.
Apparently, per jcru's post...one of the NW players had his arse so he couldn't? At least until the guy handed it back to him?
1 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I hope this isn't a season long issue against good teams but House's troubles today were directly tied to being a 6-1 2G.
URI plays 2 bigs but both are forwards. Need Bilau back for conference play. Brown is a role player.
Foumenia repeatedly made bad decisions on switches.
It's going to be hard to keep Cam on the bench.
Great move by Archie to go even smaller. Hurt rebounding but got the offense going.
Last edited by Iggy1979 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

And if House is 6-4 I'm 6-2
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

We need bilau back

Not that he is a savior but a more than serviceable big that will help

I will enjoy this team grow and improve as the year goes on

i like how we didn’t roll over and showed some fight and heart

Wish we started stronger tho in the 2nd half - that was a big time negative in my book
3 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

From my view in Section 26 - nothing more to add about the start of the game, we had 2 points on the board halfway through the first half. Its unfortunate because there was a nice URI crowd there today that was looking for anything to get into the game and empty possession after empty possession just deflated the crowd. We were unfortunately exposed in many areas today, but overall I think there were some positives to take away. Not a great game for House, he was forcing the issue alot and was getting frustrated he wasn't getting any calls near the rim. Not worried about him at all, he continued to play hard on defense regardless. The same cant be said for the rest of the team, Always & Louis were abused on the defensive side of the floor and were continuously beaten off the drible leading to easy NW buckets. We are clearly lacking a true point guard which I hope Hammond will fill that role next year. I'm trying to pull hard for Louis but I'm not seeing it yet, he had a very tough assignment in guarding Buie, but he's going to struggle guarding a lot of the point guards we'll see in the A10, having no assists in 34 minutes of PT is actually hard to do. Always seemed lost on the floor and was careless with the ball. Estevez was very impressive to me, he is going to be a good one and its clear that Archie feels the same way with the amount of PT he got, I was most impressed by his defense, he knows how to keep his player in front of him and move his feet, he has super long arms and plays much bigger than his size. The defense overall was decent, but NW was able to score way to many easy baskets in the their half court sets. Fuchs is alot bigger in person that I thought, he is raw but I love his potential, Foumena plays hard but needs to be smarter, in one trip he fouled the center out past the 3 point line for no reason, why is he playing in his face 30 ft from the basket? Just gets opponent into the 1:1 that much quicker, he didn't look to score in the few times he got the ball in the paint. Tyson has great athleticism, but he struggles to score, looks to be a role player but love his toughness underneath. Zek appears to be our best all around player so far, he's solid in every facet of the game. Again, take away that first 10 minutes of the game and we showed flashes of what could be a solid team, its certainly much better than anything we've since since Hurley and I'll be back at Mohegan tomorrow hoping for a win.
3 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 months ago Great move by Archie to go even smaller. Hurt rebounding but got the offense going.
I have such a good vibe watching him coach and then talking basketball whether it be post-game presser or whatever. High acumen. SO REFRESHING!
3 x
Mobley was fouled.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RI_Bred wrote: 5 months ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 5 months ago Great move by Archie to go even smaller. Hurt rebounding but got the offense going.
I have such a good vibe watching him coach and then talking basketball whether it be post-game presser or whatever. High acumen. SO REFRESHING!
I really liked knowing this game was not too big for him. He's been in much bigger games than this for sure. Very calm on the sidelines, talking to every player as they came off. Didn't freak out on foul calls and kept the team focused.
3 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Soon as Bilau is fully back he’ll be starting with Tyson off the bench most likely

Tyson, Fuchs and Jaden got a wake up call with better competition today and so did most of the team.

In all honesty it’s Dayton and maybe Duquesne (just maybe with them losing to Princeton) vs the rest of the A10 so far this year no one has stood out this far besides Dayton

Onto the next one, went to watch the first game and Wazzous bigs looked slow
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 5 months ago And if House is 6-4 I'm 6-2
He’s 6’3” at best, the same size as Cam, it’s like how Malik was listed 6’6” and was taller than the Drame twins who were listed at 6’7”
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

If A-10 teams focus on shutting down House, I think we will be challenged to find others players to score. I think that was evident tonite.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
True Big Blue
Jim Eitner

Unread post by True Big Blue »

Not sure where you got Brown was awful, he had 15 minutes compared to our other bigs and if it wasn’t for Brown the first half coming in with minimal time left we would have more than likely lost by 30. He was our only big holding off any of the North Western bigs. The guards need to have some vision and pass off when they are being collapsed on.
2 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

Not much more to add that hasn't already been said. Learn from this one and bounce back strong tomorrow.

I will say this though. Something was off with House from the tip. He looked gassed early, which was concerning. He just didn't quite seem himself out there. Will be important to see him come back with a clear head and compete better tomorrow. Seemed like each coach at some point was trying to settle him down and get his mind right. Need him to not press so much if he doesn't start off hot.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 5 months ago If A-10 teams focus on shutting down House, I think we will be challenged to find others players to score. I think that was evident tonite.
Zeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkk
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

section(105) wrote: 5 months ago If A-10 teams focus on shutting down House, I think we will be challenged to find others players to score. I think that was evident tonite.
I’m not too worried. Our frontcourt will have an easier time against most A10 teams compared to today. Also Cam will only get better. Zek will get his. Guys like Kortright and Weston will have some double digit scoring games. We actually have options this year.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

See I think we have a lot of guys that can score on this team. We def need House contributing don't get me wrong, but other guys have stepped up these last two games when he wasn't at his best. Look at the freshman Cam tonight. Zeke these last 2 games. Foumena last game.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

A slow start wasn't unexpected. Certainly the 22-2 score was glaring but they settled in reasonably well. Still feeling good about this team. Two random comments, though:

1. Boo Buie is LEGIT. Dude can play for my favorite team any day.

2. A-10 Talk... you know, that account that supposed to pump up the A-10? Well they tweeted the 22-2 score and didn't tweet about the game again. Nothing about the resilience from Rhody, the comeback, Cam... ANYTHING. Just a RT of a Zek dunk with no context. With friends like that...
6 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago
I’m not too worried. Our frontcourt will have an easier time against most A10 teams compared to today. Also Cam will only get better. Zek will get his. Guys like Kortright and Weston will have some double digit scoring games. We actually have options this year.
Our bigs did not do a good job of boxing out NW bigs. Jaden was going up against the trees today. The last three games, he had clear lanes. Our frontcourt kinda got exposed today. Not kinda really. #34 on NW was having his way all day and #32 was right behind him. Our bigs did not perform well against those two.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I also think House will have games where he makes jumpshots. Just didn't fall for him today.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 5 months ago
Our bigs did not do a good job of boxing out NW bigs. Jaden was going up against the trees today. The last three games, he had clear lanes. Our frontcourt kinda got exposed today. Not kinda really. #34 on NW was having his way all day and #32 was right behind him. Our bigs did not perform well against those two.
Yep, both bigger stronger players

Preston is a 6th year senior
Nicholson is a senior

Both waaaaaaaaay more experienced than Fuchs and Brown. Neither Fuchs or Brown have much skill either...
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago
Preston is a 6th year senior
He's probably 25 LOL
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Something to watch going forward, no doubt, 105.

With Green not playing, I think many of us were/are concerned about that. That said, Zek is certainly capable of picking up the slack and Weston has potential to pick up some of the slack. Beyond that it will be scoring by committee.

Improving the % from the charity stripe should help. We shot better from the line today - mid 60’s % I think - but unfortunately, that wasn’t enough today.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

1) going from pushover competition to a legit team is a recipe for disaster aka a slow start. So not surprised

2) the above was probably a big factor in our bigs play. They went from getting whatever they wanted to having to play straight up, and got abused. Oh well. Young and learning experience. Hope they can bounce back. Otherwise might be trouble

3) not concerned about house. Not every game is your game. But off nights will make it hard to beat good teams

4) Weston’s knee is messed up. He was grimacing in the first 30 seconds of the game. That sucks

5) cam is a player

6) always looked lost at P5 speed. For a pass first ball handler, he was being awfully reckless with the ball
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Oh and we REALLY need to win tomorrow.

I brought some of my casual friends to the game today. They were quite disappointed in what they saw. They don’t care about wins against Central Connecticut. Going to have trouble drawing fans if we don’t beat anyone meaningful.

I get there’s a bigger picture here. But just perspective on how we’ll draw the average fan
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Kingston, the team played soft for the first 12 and a half minutes. They were getting crushed. Our bigs played soft, which left our guards exposed when driving. Why was Jaden punching in against NW bigs? Because our bigs weren't doing their job to block them out. They better toughen up quick for tomorrow. I want to see better frontcourt play tomorrow. Time to man up.
2 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

theblueram wrote: 5 months ago Kingston, the team played soft for the first 12 and a half minutes. They were getting crushed. Our bigs played soft, which left our guards exposed when driving. Why was Jaden punching in against NW bigs? Because our bigs weren't doing their job to block them out. They better toughen up quick for tomorrow. I want to see better frontcourt play tomorrow. Time to man up.
I'm guessing Archie did/is have/having that conversation.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

theblueram wrote: 5 months ago Kingston, the team played soft for the first 12 and a half minutes. They were getting crushed. Our bigs played soft, which left our guards exposed when driving. Why was Jaden punching in against NW bigs? Because our bigs weren't doing their job to block them out. They better toughen up quick for tomorrow. I want to see better frontcourt play tomorrow. Time to man up.
We won by 9. Those first 15 minutes are under protest. :lol:
0 x
Go Rhody
True Big Blue
Jim Eitner

Our guards don’t dish off Ernie. They were hot along with Foumena against teams that are low major…..big big difference.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I think we were all bigly disappointed with the way the game began and getting so far beyond. The bigger stage, first game away from the RC, generally a more physical team, well coached, we’re all contributing factors. My guess is their game plan included not letting House get a hot start. Today needs to be a different script to get back on track.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

True Big Blue wrote: 5 months ago Not sure where you got Brown was awful, he had 15 minutes compared to our other bigs and if it wasn’t for Brown the first half coming in with minimal time left we would have more than likely lost by 30. He was our only big holding off any of the North Western bigs. The guards need to have some vision and pass off when they are being collapsed on.
I agree with this take. Thought Brown hung in there much better than Fuchs, who seemed a little overwhelmed physically by them. Yes Bilau should help. But I wonder if we need to insert Estevez in the lineup and play small.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Brown and Fuchs are big boys, I can’t understand why they play soft sometimes. Size wise, we were pretty close to NW.
0 x
GO RAMS
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but I thought the officiating had a profound effect on the Ram's start in both halves. Not saying that the final outcome would be different, but it just appeared that the first 8-10 minutes of each half favored Northwestern.
(homer alert)
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I like the lineup with Estevez if we're looking for more production from the outside. When both Brown and Fuchs are in the game together, our outside game suffers. I like Zek as the stretch 4. Unless the other team is much bigger than we are, Zek is a good rebounder and obviously a much better shooter than Fuchs. Fuchs is big and has a lot of potential, but at this point, Cam is just more advanced and a much better basketball player than Fuchs. Kortright, House, Estevez, Montgomery and Brown would get the majority of minutes, as they did yesterday after the 10 minute mark or so.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RAM67 wrote: 5 months ago I don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but I thought the officiating had a profound effect on the Ram's start in both halves. Not saying that the final outcome would be different, but it just appeared that the first 8-10 minutes of each half favored Northwestern.
(homer alert)
Yes the officiating was a head scratcher and several bad calls and no calls, but it certainly didn't affect the outcome.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 months ago Brown and Fuchs are big boys, I can’t understand why they play soft sometimes. Size wise, we were pretty close to NW.
Size wise yes, but experience wise not, they were outplayed.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The thing is if you start 2 guys who want to clog the lane u limit the effectiveness of House, Zek and Kortright who all primarily want to get their points driving to the hoop. That’s why going small yesterday at least started to create some lanes. Of our 3 bigs Fuchs is prob the most suitable to roam outside but he was so god awful defensively yesterday you couldn’t keep him out there.

It’s too bad about Weston bc u could put him and Zek out there together with 2 guards and 1 big and prob not lose too much on the boards. But he just doesn’t seem 100%.
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago Couple things.

Onto Wash St.
1. Brown was the only big man that actually got some stops yesterday. Especially when we went on our run. He may not be our starter moving forward but he’s our best defending big that leads the team in blocks and defensive rating. You don’t give up on a kid four games into a season… Yup he got pulled for a kid that I said was going to be the best incoming freshman recruit and was much higher on than Connor. Similar to how I was much higher on Foumena than our other bigs last year. Sucks that I have to repeat this shit but since you call me out all the time I’m going keep reminding you of what I actually said about these players.

2. House had way too many instances where he drove into the paint and got stuffed. If anything I felt like he didn’t pass enough. Other than that I thought our guys were fine. We were just trying to find a good shot and it was close to impossible against Northwestern, When we were open we took the shot. I thought the passing was fine.

I know some on here love Ways but once Hammond comes he’ll help create better looks for this team. He’s going to the be the one that unlocks our potential if we keep this core group of players. He’s played with and against players of Northwesterns caliber and has had no issues.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago The thing is if you start 2 guys who want to clog the lane u limit the effectiveness of House, Zek and Kortright who all primarily want to get their points driving to the hoop. That’s why going small yesterday at least started to create some lanes. Of our 3 bigs Fuchs is prob the most suitable to roam outside but he was so god awful defensively yesterday you couldn’t keep him out there.

It’s too bad about Weston bc u could put him and Zek out there together with 2 guards and 1 big and prob not lose too much on the boards. But he just doesn’t seem 100%.
Ya I said to my friend before the game that if Weston is healthy he may be the X factor as he can rebound really well but it was clear he’s still hurt which sucks.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Weston injury, green waiver, Bilau coming back off injury. All possible X factors.
1 x
GO RAMS
True Big Blue
Jim Eitner

Bottom line - We were out coached and Archie better get his team in check instead of it looking like 3 out of 5 on the floor are running their plan and take into consideration running 4 guards with one big who is the only defender, or at times 2 bigs where you have only one big deflecting shots of the other team may not work unless Rhode Island wants to consider moving to the NEC to play.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago The thing is if you start 2 guys who want to clog the lane u limit the effectiveness of House, Zek and Kortright who all primarily want to get their points driving to the hoop. That’s why going small yesterday at least started to create some lanes. Of our 3 bigs Fuchs is prob the most suitable to roam outside but he was so god awful defensively yesterday you couldn’t keep him out there.

Ya I said to my friend before the game that if Weston is healthy he may be the X factor as he can rebound really well but it was clear he’s still hurt which sucks.
Yeah I don't get why we played him when he was clearly still hurt. He should at least sit until Yale now.
2 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

MSU also having trouble with NU’s defense…
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 months ago Some huge momentum shifts , Fuchs block to Zeks dunk and the arena went nuts. Solid Fan showing. Cam is a future star. House was a problem, but good learning experience. Also saw Weston’s mother and she was pissed.
Can you explain more about Weston's mother being pissed? That seems like a potential big deal
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines