2023 Men's Soccer

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: 2023 Men's Soccer

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Women's soccer did the same. I don't get it
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago Losing 4-2 Wednesday to a team that was 0-3 in conference was absolutely not a result we needed. Now we're 5 points back of a tournament spot, but with 4 teams between us and 8th. We are 157 in RPI through games played Sunday.
After Saturday's surprising win we're now 3 points back of a tournament spot, tied with St. Bonaventure for 11th place, with only two teams between us and a tournament spot. Our RPI is now 141. Our remaining schedule:

10/14 (Sat) 7:05 pm vs VCU URI Soccer Complex tied for 5th, 51st RPI
10/21 (Sat) 7:05 pm vs Loyola Chicago URI Soccer Complex on ESPN+ tied for 5th, 75th RPI

10/28 (Sat) 1 pm at Davidson Davidson, NC ESPN+ 2nd, 25th RPI

Tonight we host Maine Fort Kent from the United States Collegiate Athletic Association. Was scheduling so tough we had to play this team instead of an NCAA division 1 team?
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Ummmm, this Bermingham guy is really good. 4 goals in 3 games.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

URI up 3-0 14-1 shots
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Get right game, tonight.
0 x
:lol:
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

Unread post by JFrech21 »

Bermingham was the addition that Coach Elliot was most excited about coming into the season. He has battled an injury which kept him sidelined and limited most of the season up to the last couple of games. Now we are seeing him healthy and what he can do. If we can get somewhat healthy for these last 3 games we should be able to play with each of them, even though they are all towards the top of the league standings.
1 x
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

As for the number of Seniors, only 1 is listed on the roster as a Sr. The other 5 that were honored on Senior Night are listed as Redshirt Juniors. Maybe they have all decided this is their last year. Not sure on their eligibility going forward.

I also think they wanted to have their senior night on a non-league game where they could play their "seniors" more of the game, which is fine with me. We've seen it many times in basketball on senior night, the team is not 100% focused and losses games they should have won.
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 6 months ago Get right game, tonight.
At your request, I came over to post my soccer comment. I followed and supported this team for many years and was a big fan of the Gareth both as a coach and a player. I fell as though there has been a consistent drop off in intensity and talent over the last few years. Every program has to deal with rule changes. I will continue to have a rooting interest in this program and I'm hopeful that this season may light a fire under the collective staff and players' asses. I do have one sincere question. Why schedule the University of Maine Fort Kent. It was either for a win on senior night or anticipation that some scoring would be needed to offset the many goals that this team would be allowing.
2 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Not good....Maybe time for a change
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

After last night's loss we have to win our two remaining A10 games and Dayton can get no more than one tie in their two remaining games for any shot of getting into the conference tournament. Even that scenario wouldn't guarantee a spot because I'm not sure what the tiebreakers would be and what other results would take place
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI is 1-4-1 in A-10 conference play

@Dayton 0-6
LaSalle 0-0
@SLU 0-2
@GMU 2-4
Fordham 1-0
VCU 1-3

Goals for: 4 | Goals against 15
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Last two games
vs Loyola
@Davidson

Tough hill to climb
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 6 months ago
KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 6 months ago Get right game, tonight.
At your request, I came over to post my soccer comment. I followed and supported this team for many years and was a big fan of the Gareth both as a coach and a player. I fell as though there has been a consistent drop off in intensity and talent over the last few years. Every program has to deal with rule changes. I will continue to have a rooting interest in this program and I'm hopeful that this season may light a fire under the collective staff and players' asses. I do have one sincere question. Why schedule the University of Maine Fort Kent. It was either for a win on senior night or anticipation that some scoring would be needed to offset the many goals that this team would be allowing.
I didn't request you do anything.

to answer your question, I have no knowledge of how, why, or why not another program appears on the schedule.

we're all athletic supporters. I mean jocks. i mean cheerleaders. errrr....
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

With one game left we are officially eliminated from participating in the conference tournament. We can finish anywhere from 9th to 14th/last
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Time to hit the portal
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The men's soccer team again failed to score in its final home match this past Saturday in Kingston. Settled for a 0-0 tie with Loyola which eliminates them from A-10 tournament consideration. Just one game left at Davidson this upcoming Saturday. Team is assured of a losing season record as they are currently 4-6-5. Just 1-4-2 thus far in A-10 having scored just four goals total in league play.
Last edited by RF1 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

are they at least scoring in the sorority houses?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I can't believe I witnessed their one A10 upset win vs Fordham.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

JFrech21 wrote: 6 months ago Bermingham was the addition that Coach Elliot was most excited about coming into the season. He has battled an injury which kept him sidelined and limited most of the season up to the last couple of games. Now we are seeing him healthy and what he can do. If we can get somewhat healthy for these last 3 games we should be able to play with each of them, even though they are all towards the top of the league standings.
Of course the game after I posted this, Bermingham got hurt and has yet to play since.....
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI actually scores some goals and wins 2-0 at Davidson to close out its season. Final overall record of 5-6-5 and 2-4-2 in the A-10. Scored 19 goals with 22 against. The number of goals scored however was greatly skewed with an 8-1 win over non D1 Maine-Fort Kent. Not counting that game, it was 11 for and 22 against. In league play, it was 5 for and 15 against.
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Very accurate assesment of their season, but having said that, they could have mailed in their last game and didn't. For that they deserve much credit.
If the present staff remains in place, I hope there is some better talent coming in on both sides of the ball that can contribute immediately. Here's to next year.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Lost 3-1 vs regular season champion VCU
Lost 2-0 at 2 seed Saint Louis
Tied 0-0 vs 3 seed Loyola
Won 2-0 at 4 seed Davidson
Lost 6-0 at 6 seed Dayton
Won 1-0 vs 8 seed Fordham

6 of our 8 league games were against teams that are in the conference tournament. Feels like that is probably a harder schedule than most and we went 2-3-1 in those six games
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dayton is at Louisville tonight - 1st round

Yale arrived in RI yesterday, practiced at Bryant last night. Yale at Bryant tonight - 1st round

From article......

Louisville (H) vs. Dayton (A) - The Flyers beat three of the top four A10 teams en route to the conference title. Louisville is 2-1-1 in its last four matchups with a dub over No. 2 Notre Dame in the ACC quarterfinals and a tie versus No. 3 Wake in the semis. I'd like the Cardinals to move on.

Bryant (H) vs. Yale (A) America East champs take on Ivy League champs. Bulldogs only had one loss all year versus Vermont, and Yale only lost to Harvard, Syracuse & SMU. Great competition for Yale, but I see the Bulldogs moving on.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/soccer-men/ar ... ollege-cup
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Worth noting that America East got three teams (out of ,48) into the NCAA Tournament: New Hampshire, Vermont, and Bryant
0 x