11/18 | Northwestern | 2:30PM (ESPN+) | Hall of Fame Tip-Off

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 11/18 | Northwestern | 2:30PM (ESPN+) | Hall of Fame Tip-Off

Unread post by reef »

theblueram wrote: 5 months ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 months ago No, Tatum was hurt, which shows how stacked that team was.
They only had 5 guys that scored. Beat us by 10.
Correct he didn’t play I think he was hurt
Luke Kennard was on that team too

Yes just saw the box score , current Celtics assistant coach Amile Jefferson had 17 and 15 for Duke
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

In any event, we have never lost to NU. Let's make sure we stomp their ass Saturday.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I'm not crazy for thinking we win this game right?
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago I'm not crazy for thinking we win this game right?
Right!
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
jakepnickers
Abdul Fox

Unread post by jakepnickers »

Think as many have said, this game will be a good litmus test for the team. This will be a different level of size and athleticism from the first 3 games. Think we will need a solid showing from out of our guards on both ends and keep up the improved rebounding. I don't expect our bigs to be as dominant in this one (although I hope I am wrong). Lots of time to rest and recover before this game so should expect solid fitness and a good game plan going into this one.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

No, you aren't crazy Blue Man.
Northwestern is far from unbeatable, and they do have weaknesses.
It is very possible that we can win, and we all hope you are right.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

FYI - if you thought our women’s team had a tough loss yesterday, Northwestern’s just lost to Notre Dame by 58!
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

jakepnickers wrote: 5 months ago Think as many have said, this game will be a good litmus test for the team. This will be a different level of size and athleticism from the first 3 games. Think we will need a solid showing from out of our guards on both ends and keep up the improved rebounding. I don't expect our bigs to be as dominant in this one (although I hope I am wrong). Lots of time to rest and recover before this game so should expect solid fitness and a good game plan going into this one.
Agreed. Also, I like how the schedule has played out for us so far. The competition was weaker the first few games but it gave the team a chance to get to know each other in game and work some things out.

Then the last game was a little step up in competition to help us prep for the next step up in competition for Northwestern.

The schedule set up seems to be working well for this particular Rhody team so far.

Good job putting the schedule together by Archie.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We should definitely be in this game I’m thinking , be interesting to see how we do against this B10 team !!
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

ramster wrote: 5 months ago Free Throws this year and last:

URI 3 Games: 43-78 - 55.1%
URI Opponents 3 Games: 31-43 = 72.1%

URI Last Year Full Season: 486-653 = 74.4%
URI Opponents Last year: 401-577= 69.5%

Northwestern 3 Games: 44-55 = 80%. Buie is 14-17 = 82%, Barnhizer 16-18 = 89%
Interesting nuimbers, Northwestern 80 % after three games: Rhody55% AND

Northwestern 55 FT attempts. Rhody 78 ft attempts, 44 made free throws vs Rhody 43 made free throws. Not sure how to read this??
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I watched Northwestern against Dayton the full game . They did scrap for loose balls all game , but they were not particularly strong around the hoop .
Their defense was not very aggressive and they got a little lucky with the bounce of the ball and some shots . We may actually be able to dominate in the paint because their bigs are not super athletic or aggressive. Their guards can shoot and get their own shots .This IS a winnable game as long as
they keep the turnovers at a minimum and shoot fts at at least 65-70 % . And Northwestern will be playing their first game away from home .
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Given our bad 3 PT and FT shooting, dominating in the paint or keeping the paint action close is critical to winning this game. And if Northwestern bigs are not as athletic as our bigs, that makes this game very winnable.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Northwestern's best rebounder so far this year is Brooks Barnhizer, a 6'6" wing that's 215 pounds. They also have a 7', 255 pound center, and a 6'9", 220 pound forward that play regular minutes. In comparison, Wagner had one player taller than 6'9" that plays. NW has significantly more beef and bodies that can match our frontcourt, as well as wings that can probably more credibly bother House. Its not like they have Zach Edey down on the block, but I doubt we're going to be dunking on them like we were those Q4 teams we've played in the first three games.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Obadiah wrote: 5 months ago Given our bad 3 PT and FT shooting, dominating in the paint or keeping the paint action close is critical to winning this game. And if Northwestern bigs are not as athletic as our bigs, that makes this game very winnable.
We're 98th in the country in 3 point percentage at 37.21%
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Here is another reason this game is really winnable. Northwestern beat Western Michigan 63-59 the other night and were out rebounded by Western 43-21. I think if we can hold our own of the boards we have a great chance to win the game. Nothwestern's bigs are not much of a threat offensively and are not that strong defensively. GO RHODY.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

eli#10 wrote: 5 months ago Here is another reason this game is really winnable. Northwestern beat Western Michigan 63-59 the other night and were out rebounded by Western 43-21. I think if we can hold our own of the boards we have a great chance to win the game. Nothwestern's bigs are not much of a threat offensively and are not that strong defensively. GO RHODY.
This game is much more winnable than I previously thought.
Let's face it Northwestern isn't exactly world beaters.

I think they were selected around 8th in the B10.
Granted they do have a great guard who is one of the top players in the country.
Also have a decent supporting cast.
Buie, Barnhizer, and Langborg have really stood out but after them not so much.

Hopefully having more of a home crowd support will help.
I also hope we can use our athleticism to our advantage especially in the frontcourt.
Initially going into the season, I brought up FT shooting as a concern, and that continues to be a problem.
Let's hope we get that corrected soon.
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago
Obadiah wrote: 5 months ago Given our bad 3 PT and FT shooting, dominating in the paint or keeping the paint action close is critical to winning this game. And if Northwestern bigs are not as athletic as our bigs, that makes this game very winnable.
We’ve also only taken like 20 3 pointers in 3 games
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

We're 16-43 on the season.

Sometimes the key to being good at something is knowing when the right time to do it is. I'm glad we for once don't have our players taking bad shots out of the flow of offense and bigs that can't hit a 3 chucking them up
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago We're 16-43 on the season.

Sometimes the key to being good at something is knowing when the right time to do it is. I'm glad we for once don't have our players taking bad shots out of the flow of offense and bigs that can't hit a 3 chucking them up
While that’s true, it comes out to an average of 14.3 a game, 338th most (of 358 reporting teams)

There’s only 4 Top 25 ranked teams taking less than 20 per game:

Gonzaga (19.0)
North Carolina (18.5)
Baylor (17.0)
Michigan state (16.7)

Point is it’s possible to not take “a lot” and still be good. But clearly not much margin for error. Vast majority of the best teams are shooting more 3s
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

KingstonLane wrote: 5 months ago
We just have to keep doing what we've been doing.

Playing within ourselves, team basketball, aggressive basketball and playing with ATTITUDE.

We haven't been a team that jacks up threes. We take them when they're there. So just make the ones that come in the natural flow of the offense.

Zek, House, Kort, Weston (if playing) Cam and Always can all hit an open three. Hell Fuchs and Fou have too.
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Our lack of three's taken also points to the competition. We could basically go get what we wanted in the paint all three games. So we were SMART and took the higher percentage shots.

I think that's why you see so many good teams get upset or almost get beat by inferior teams. They jack up threes.

Northwestern was 6-26 against WM for 23%.

They were playing stupid. If you aren't hitting 3's then stop shooting them. If we did what NW did against Wagner we mightve only won by 4 points ourselves.

They are more than welcome to come build a brick house on that Mohegan sun floor. Please NW, take a bunch of shots you won't make. Give us all the empty possessions :)
4 x
Rhody_JAM
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rhody_JAM »

This tournament was a blast back in 2016. I would recommended it to anyone considering it. In 2016 I ubered from my house in Noank to Mohegan with a group of buddies, so we could really let loose. Those were the days. Hoping to be able to make it to at least one of the games this weekend with or without the kids (challenges of keeping 2 kids under 3 both occupied at a basketball game).
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This will be a nice test for us , thinking the line will be NW -5 so I think Rhody can win this if we play well
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

What we have eliminated significantly from last year is midrange/tough 2's. That is basically the worst shot in basketball. If you look at team shot charts everyone is aiming for shots either at rim or behind the line and nothing in between. Last year we had guys like Jalen, Malik and even Ish who took a lot of low percentage two's. I don't have shot charts of first three games but I don't remember a lot of that. I am sure Archie is an analytics guy and keen on this as well. From recollection we have gotten a ton of points at the rim/in the paint.

If we can do that, and get better at the foul line then a lack of volume three point shooting can be overcome. Tho I do think when the competition gets ratcheted up and there are more imposing front lines we are facing that we will need to be more of a threat beyond the arc. Unlike last year we do have guys like Zek, Jaden, Cam and even Fuchs that look to be decent three point shooters.
6 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago

Playing within ourselves, team basketball, aggressive basketball and playing with ATTITUDE.

We haven't been a team that jacks up threes. We take them when they're there. So just make the ones that come in the natural flow of the offense.

Zek, House, Kort, Weston (if playing) Cam and Always can all hit an open three. Hell Fuchs and Fou have too.
This reminds me...we should have a cliche thread. "Playing (or staying) within ourselves" would probably make the "Top 25 WTF Does That Even Mean?" List. Followed closely by "not try to do too much"
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago What we have eliminated significantly from last year is midrange/tough 2's. That is basically the worst shot in basketball. If you look at team shot charts everyone is aiming for shots either at rim or behind the line and nothing in between. Last year we had guys like Jalen, Malik and even Ish who took a lot of low percentage two's. I don't have shot charts of first three games but I don't remember a lot of that. I am sure Archie is an analytics guy and keen on this as well. From recollection we have gotten a ton of points at the rim/in the paint.

If we can do that, and get better at the foul line then a lack of volume three point shooting can be overcome. Tho I do think when the competition gets ratcheted up and there are more imposing front lines we are facing that we will need to be more of a threat beyond the arc. Unlike last year we do have guys like Zek, Jaden, Cam and even Fuchs that look to be decent three point shooters.
Yeah this is a great point. To drive home the point about the "lack" of 3's...that's a good thing.

We have capable shooters. And sometimes the defense will pack the lane and leave you more open for 3's. Those are the ones you want.

But seeing a team that goes and exploits the weaknesses of other teams is a mark of good coaching and smart players.

Keep doing what we're doing.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

If URI can contain Buie to low double digit points we have a chance.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Regarding 3 point shooting, our two best 3 point shooters (at least potentially, IMO) are at the end of the bench because at this point, they don't do anything else well enough to see the court.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago Regarding 3 point shooting, our two best 3 point shooters (at least potentially, IMO) are at the end of the bench because at this point, they don't do anything else well enough to see the court.
Who is that BillyBoy?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 months ago

This reminds me...we should have a cliche thread. "Playing (or staying) within ourselves" would probably make the "Top 25 WTF Does That Even Mean?" List. Followed closely by "not try to do too much"
My fav is “Trust the Process”

Translation = team sux

2nd fav “Attack the Bucket”
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago What we have eliminated significantly from last year is midrange/tough 2's. That is basically the worst shot in basketball. If you look at team shot charts everyone is aiming for shots either at rim or behind the line and nothing in between. Last year we had guys like Jalen, Malik and even Ish who took a lot of low percentage two's. I don't have shot charts of first three games but I don't remember a lot of that. I am sure Archie is an analytics guy and keen on this as well. From recollection we have gotten a ton of points at the rim/in the paint.

Yeah this is a great point. To drive home the point about the "lack" of 3's...that's a good thing.

We have capable shooters. And sometimes the defense will pack the lane and leave you more open for 3's. Those are the ones you want.

But seeing a team that goes and exploits the weaknesses of other teams is a mark of good coaching and smart players.

Keep doing what we're doing.
Excellent points I saw a stat this morning that we are top 50 nationally in FG % through 3 games , last year in the 300s

Night and day !!
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago Regarding 3 point shooting, our two best 3 point shooters (at least potentially, IMO) are at the end of the bench because at this point, they don't do anything else well enough to see the court.
Who is that BillyBoy?
Rory and Dubsky. They at least appear to be good shooters, nice form, etc. Whether that translates to games? Who knows? We probably won't findh out any time soon because they both lack in other parts of the game. I have more faith that Dubsky will develop, so maybe we see him at some point this year get minutes.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago
Who is that BillyBoy?
Rory and Dubsky. They at least appear to be good shooters, nice form, etc. Whether that translates to games? Who knows? We probably won't findh out any time soon because they both lack in other parts of the game. I have more faith that Dubsky will develop, so maybe we see him at some point this year get minutes.
I don’t think either will develop into anything that will play at this level.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Who is that BillyBoy?
Maybe I'm off, but I don't see either of those two as contributors this year.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Rhody_JAM wrote: 5 months ago This tournament was a blast back in 2016. I would recommended it to anyone considering it. In 2016 I ubered from my house in Noank to Mohegan with a group of buddies, so we could really let loose. Those were the days. Hoping to be able to make it to at least one of the games this weekend with or without the kids (challenges of keeping 2 kids under 3 both occupied at a basketball game).
EZBuckets did a great job keeping our fans loud that weekend.
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 5 months ago

Translation = team sux

“Score the ball” annoys me. Like, no crap. You play with a ball and nothing else so, we get that you score with the ball. :lol:
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Who is that BillyBoy?
I don't either. Archie did mention that he was trying to find some minutes for Dubsky, but didn't mention Rory. That's why I think Dubsky has a better chance somewhere down the line to get minutes. I don't think we see much of Rory this year.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I don't either. Archie did mention that he was trying to find some minutes for Dubsky, but didn't mention Rory. That's why I think Dubsky has a better chance somewhere down the line to get minutes. I don't think we see much of Rory this year.
Dubsky is just too timid. He has only shot 3 3pt shots and missed them all.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, he definitely needs more confidence.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yes, I think he lacks confidence right now and the game is still a little too fast for him at this level.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I assume them two and the walk ons will get solid minutes against JWU, basically a glorified practice.
1 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree Bilat is coming back soon which adds to the rotation , have to be in the top 9 or 10 to get any kind of minutes and Dubs and Rory are outside of that
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 5 months ago

Translation = team sux

“Score the ball” annoys me. Like, no crap. You play with a ball and nothing else so, we get that you score with the ball. :lol:
Laser focused drives me nuts
Along with the game has slowed down for him
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 5 months ago
Agree Bilat is coming back soon which adds to the rotation , have to be in the top 9 or 10 to get any kind of minutes and Dubs and Rory are outside of that
Bilau*
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Translation = team sux

You play to win the game

Hellloooooo

You play to win the game !!!
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 months ago

Translation = team sux

You play to win the game

Hellloooooo

You play to win the game !!!
Thank you Coach Herman Edwards
1 x
Parente07
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Parente07 »

What’s everyone doing before the game Saturday? Rhody pregame somewhere in Mohegan?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Parente07 wrote: 5 months ago What’s everyone doing before the game Saturday? Rhody pregame somewhere in Mohegan?
Not sure of a pre-game, but there is a post-game which I posted in the beginning of this thread.
Dan's Watch Bar
https://www.alumni.uri.edu/events/mens- ... me-meetup/
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

For those still undecided on going, I just got two tickets for $18 plus fees on Stub Hub. Section 15 lower level.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

You can watch the replays of the games after the fact on ESPN+ right?
0 x