Mitchell Twins

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Mitchell Twins

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Without insistence that they stay tied at the hip forever (and cancelling out each other) they probably would have been more successful
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ahhhhh,
But that is what makes this interesting 208.
They are not joined at the hip now. Makhel transferred to Arkansas Little Rock and sitting out his transfer year penalty.

I've talked to both Makhel and Makhi numerous times at URI and on Tournament Road Trips (MTE and A10 Tourney). Always found them friendly and nice.

In games I didn't see them slack off. Sometimes I sat courtside/level and amazed at how both play above the rim, both play hard on defense, both rebound and block shots well. I think if Archie and Kenny Johnson had Makhi or Makhel (but not both) good ghings could have happened. David Cox with either one and not both would make no difference. Cox was not a good HC. Cox even started the wrong one when they arrived. He started Makhel. Musselman knows the difference. He kept the best of the 2.

As I read Musselman's comments it's fascinating. Musselman talks up Makhi for the game but still says he missed his easiest shot, says he paid attention in the huddle, etc. Musselman is a tough guy, very tough, and it will be interesting to see Makhi this season? Sink or swim?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Musselman talking about what Makhi did right. Can be construed that Makhi has done the opposite in the past.

Makhi will either be in the starting line up or buried at the far end of the bench when SEC Conference play starts.

"This was Khi's best game," Musselman said. "This was Khi's best game in everything. This was his best game body language. This was his best game in timeouts and huddles. This was his best game with his teammates. This was his best game with the coaching staff, and then he played really well, too.

"Hopefully he can keep doing that. I thought from a maturity standpoint and really doing what we needed and doing it with really positive passion, he was really good tonight. Really good. Proud of him."
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

ramster wrote: 5 months ago Musselman talking about what Makhi did right. Can be construed that Makhi has done the opposite in the past.

Makhi will either be in the starting line up or buried at the far end of the bench when SEC Conference play starts.

"This was Khi's best game," Musselman said. "This was Khi's best game in everything. This was his best game body language. This was his best game in timeouts and huddles. This was his best game with his teammates. This was his best game with the coaching staff, and then he played really well, too.

"Hopefully he can keep doing that. I thought from a maturity standpoint and really doing what we needed and doing it with really positive passion, he was really good tonight. Really good. Proud of him."
You aren't framing it in that manner if, in the opinion of the coach(es) he has been consistently doing those things. Coach Musselman is being very specific and intentional in his public praise.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Exactly Bos. Those are passive aggressive jabs in likely a last ditch attempt to motivate and change his behavior. All those things he called out are effort and attitude related (not talent). Any coach would tell you those are the 2 things you can’t coach; you either have it or you don’t. Turgeon, Cox, Musselman. 3 coaches that clearly cannot get the most out of Makhi bc of that. Not sure Archie (or anyone) would be any different.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bos8 wrote: 5 months ago
ramster wrote: 5 months ago Musselman talking about what Makhi did right. Can be construed that Makhi has done the opposite in the past.

You aren't framing it in that manner if, in the opinion of the coach(es) he has been consistently doing those things. Coach Musselman is being very specific and intentional in his public praise.
My bad if I didn't frame it that way, but that is exactly how I saw it. That's why I said he would either be in the starting line up or at the far end of the bench when SEC play starts.

My guess is that Musselman made the two separate for their own good and for their team's own good. In the short and long run it will hopefully be good for them. Tough too when they both play the same position (identical twin thing)

I like Musselman's technique. Never saw this stuff from Cox.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago Exactly Bos. Those are passive aggressive jabs in likely a last ditch attempt to motivate and change his behavior. All those things he called out are effort and attitude related (not talent). Any coach would tell you those are the 2 things you can’t coach; you either have it or you don’t. Turgeon, Cox, Musselman. 3 coaches that clearly cannot get the most out of Makhi bc of that. Not sure Archie (or anyone) would be any different.
That's why I posted this article in the first place. Because I was impressed by Musselman's approach.

1. Musselman knows Makhi and Makhel after a full year of them
2. Musselman knows their strengths and their weaknesses
3. Musselman "musselled" the separation with Makhel going down a level to Arkansas Little Rock - he knew who the more gifted of the two was - unlike Cox who thought it was Makhel
4. Musselman has Makhi right where he wants him now. He has to listen to him or he's out. But he doesn't have to balance both twins.

I'd be willing to bet Makhi steps up and keeps a starting line up position. But I'm not betting the house :lol:

Musselman is no nonsense. Tough guy. Good coach. He is what Makhi needs.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Those kids were talented bigs especially @ the A10 level , so glad they are far and away from URI
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 5 months ago Those kids were talented bigs especially @ the A10 level , so glad they are far and away from URI
Might have been an entirely different story if just one had come here?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 months ago
reef wrote: 5 months ago Those kids were talented bigs especially @ the A10 level , so glad they are far and away from URI
Might have been an entirely different story if just one had come here?
You would still have needed a coach to build a system around them. That was never here.

Cox always wanted "positionless athletes" but then grabbed 2 very position limited centers.

Not a problem to have talented back to the basket bigs...but you need a legit basketball system around them with smart players. You can't just let everyone play streetball, because now you have a big clogging the lane and your street ballers won't be able to drive to the hoop.

It gets even worse when you play both of them at the same time.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

There were many people here who at the time clamored for them to be played together. It was always a bad idea from Day 1. Two guys who want to occupy the same spaces. Or even worse let’s push 1 of them out to the 3 point line and have them chuck threes. It didn’t take a rocket surgeon to know what was never a winning formula.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

and there were many here who said they both started because of some deal made with their mother. That one was around forever. At the end Cox sat not just one, but both of there butts down not starting either one of them but by then he was dead man walking and one foot well out the door.
Big difference from Mussellman who runs the show and that is best for the players too

Cox set this program way back.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cox sure set the program way back and Arch will build it back up !!
1 x