2023-24 Rotation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: 2023-24 Rotation

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 months ago Is there a deadline that would coincide with any eligible season factors? I.e, its too late to be approved because its been x amount of games into the season?
I think that's one of the item's that is under consideration/deliberation now - a timeframe for deciding whether there should be a timeframe or not.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 months ago
Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 months ago Is there a deadline that would coincide with any eligible season factors? I.e, its too late to be approved because its been x amount of games into the season?
I think that's one of the item's that is under consideration/deliberation now - a timeframe for deciding whether there should be a timeframe or not.
Here’s a crazy idea. Before the season starts
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

There are known time frames, unknown time frames and known unknown time frames - new NCAA President D. Rumsfeld.

:lol:
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 5 months ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 months ago
Here’s a crazy idea. Before the season starts
That's one of the times under consideration
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

KingstonLane wrote: 5 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago

Makes me feel hopeful!
Kind of insane they haven’t gotten to these waivers yet and the season has started.

Feel like NCAA is dangerously close to losing a lot of court cases and subsequently all their “regulatory” power
So he is a 2 time transfer , hopefully that case is like David Green
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Free David Green you cowards
3 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

Assuming no transfers, the vast majority of the team is expected back next year except potentially Bilau correct?

I know it’s a huge assumption, but I’m talking more of eligibility.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

SandorClegane wrote: 5 months ago Assuming no transfers, the vast majority of the team is expected back next year except potentially Bilau correct?

I know it’s a huge assumption, but I’m talking more of eligibility.
Actually, if Bilau gets a medical hardship waiver for last season, he would still have 2 years of eligibility even after this season.

But with 2 recruits coming in, we will lose at least 2 players for next season.
Yes, we shouldn't have to go through another major overhaul next off-season.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Ramfan22 wrote: 5 months ago Free David Green you cowards

Free him

We a a green and a bilau away from needing tooooooooooooo……….

Buckle up !
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 months ago

Free him

Buckle up !
Which begs the question. How much better will we be with both of them?

Are we allowed to speculate about that? I know some don't like that, but speculating doesn't mean excuse making.

For those that have seen David Green play, how big of a difference does he make?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Green has arguably been the best player at practice. He’s going to be a great addition next season.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago Green has arguably been the best player at practice. He’s going to be a great addition next season.
Don't you give up hope sir
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 5 months ago

Free him

Buckle up !
Which begs the question. How much better will we be with both of them?

Are we allowed to speculate about that? I know some don't like that, but speculating doesn't mean excuse making.

For those that have seen David Green play, how big of a difference does he make?
Man if we get get Green eligible and Bilat healthy we could be dangerous come January!!
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago Green has arguably been the best player at practice. He’s going to be a great addition next season.
If he wasn’t already denied I’d have some hope but he was. It’s not happening and that’s completely fine.. We can make some noise with the guys that are playing now. We spent so much time talking about Ant Harris last year who never played a second I'm not gonna do that again with Green this year.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago
If he wasn’t already denied I’d have some hope but he was. It’s not happening and that’s completely fine.. We can make some noise with the guys that are playing now. We spent so much time talking about Ant Harris last year who never played a second I'm not gonna do that again with Green this year.
Do we know for a fact his waiver was denied? What’s the source? I’m pessimistic but haven’t seen it formally acknowledged
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

We've seen appeals granted here lately. Who knows!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Until we officially here from the NCAA I would think there is hope , nobody really knows what the NCAA is thinking they do things @ their own pace
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Am I correct in saying that not one player who played in a game for URI last year, played last night?
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rjv wrote: 5 months ago Am I correct in saying that not one player who played in a game for URI last year, played last night?
Correct. Foumena was on the roster, but he was a redshirt.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

rjv wrote: 5 months ago Am I correct in saying that not one player who played in a game for URI last year, played last night?
Yes, and people wonder why we're good/why that's a bad thing lol.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago
Thank you portal gods 🙏
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago
Thank you portal gods 🙏
Portalpalooza, baby!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes this is huge for us , Arch killed it in the portal and we can get much better quicker
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

BILAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Wooohooooo!

Reinforcements!

Now do David Green 🙂
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I hope Foumena still gets minutes, but he may be the odd man out, which will suck. Archie seems to have Brown and Fuchs ahead of him. Bilau is probably the best out of the bunch right now, so I don't see how he doesn't start or is the first big off the bench. If Fuchs continues to not give a shit and walk back on D he shouldn't see the floor. Foumnea busts his ass out there and has a nice offensive game already.

It'll be interesting to see what Archie does.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago I hope Foumena still gets minutes, but he may be the odd man out, which will suck. Archie seems to have Brown and Fuchs ahead of him. Bilau is probably the best out of the bunch right now, so I don't see how he doesn't start or is the first big off the bench. If Fuchs continues to not give a shit and walk back on D he shouldn't see the floor. Foumnea busts his ass out there and has a nice offensive game already.

Fuchs should be the odd man out by lack of hustle alone.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I suppose Bilau could be on a pitch count of minutes, against JWU, a few sets up and down in real game conditions. Agree that Fuchs needs to see some pine after that display in CT, Archie’s gotta into his head that shit display is not tolerated.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago I hope Foumena still gets minutes, but he may be the odd man out, which will suck. Archie seems to have Brown and Fuchs ahead of him. Bilau is probably the best out of the bunch right now, so I don't see how he doesn't start or is the first big off the bench. If Fuchs continues to not give a shit and walk back on D he shouldn't see the floor. Foumnea busts his ass out there and has a nice offensive game already.

Given Archie's praise of Fuchs throughout the offseason and allowing him to continue playing despite his lackluster performance, it seems like Archie and the staff are granting Fuchs a longer leash than others. I'm not sure if it's fair, but that's certainly the impression I get.

Nevertheless, Fuchs possesses significant potential. I believe he and Foumena could form a strong frontcourt by their junior year. Hass could only dunk his freshman year, and he had a nice offensive bag by junior/senior year. Cyril did as well. Good coaches will develop these players, and we have good coaches.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

J&W will be a perfect spot to ease Bilau back in a little. Great news!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Given Archie's praise of Fuchs throughout the offseason and allowing him to continue playing despite his lackluster performance, it seems like Archie and the staff are granting Fuchs a longer leash than others. I'm not sure if it's fair, but that's certainly the impression I get.

Nevertheless, Fuchs possesses significant potential. I believe he and Foumena could form a strong frontcourt by their junior year. Hass could only dunk his freshman year, and he had a nice offensive bag by junior/senior year. Cyril did as well. Good coaches will develop these players, and we have good coaches.
Fuchs taking a beating after the weekend.
Consider URI had only 4 offensive rebounds vs Washington State. 3 were by Fuchs, the 4th by Foumena with 2 minutes left in the game. Nobody else had a single offensive rebound.

Fuchs leads the team in offensive rebounds and in defensive rebounds. So a team struggling with rebounding the basketball needs to find other options than to remove their best rebounder to date from the line up.

I hope he stays with Fuchs and puts Foumena in as Fou has shown aggressiveness in offensive and defensive rebounding and in defense itself. Big Fou showing energy. He could run off on Fuchs who is just a Freshman. No doubt Miller is showing tapes to all the players.

Need rebounding from guards too. Can't have all offensive rebounds by just 2 players.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

They're averaging 20 MPG (Brown), 19.6 (Fuchs) and 18 (Foumena) right now, which is a pretty narrow margin given the amount of games played. Between the 4 and the 5, you should have 80 MPG to play with, so I'd expect Bilau to eat into the minutes that the 3s-stretched-to-4s are getting, with that having a cascade effect on the guards. (i.e. Going into more of a strict time share between Kortright, Estevez, House and Montgomery at the 1, 2 and 3, with Weston as the next option and Wright dropping sharply from his current 18 MPG.)
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

My guess is Arch and the staff watched the film and probably saw the same things we did with regards to Fuchs and I would hope he got a stern talking too about that’s not how we do things here with regards to hustle

Arch seems like the kind of coach who will play the guys who deserve to play so with JB back it may scale Fuchs playing time down
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 5 months ago My guess is Arch and the staff watched the film and probably saw the same things we did with regards to Fuchs and I would hope he got a stern talking too about that’s not how we do things here with regards to hustle

Arch seems like the kind of coach who will play the guys who deserve to play so with JB back it may scale Fuchs playing time down
Fuchs is just a Freshman. Fuch's rebounds per 40 minutes (5 games) is higher than Foumena and Brown

Fuch's and Foumena rebounds per 40 minutes are both higher than Bilau last season

Imagine the potential of Fuch's if a Miller stern talking to works?

This season thru 5 games
IMG_1047.jpeg
Last season
In blue are top guards rebounding.
IMG_1046.jpeg
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I’d lean towards Brown being the odd man out if Bilau gets back and plays regular minutes.

Brown is probably close to a finished product, doubt he gets THAT much better.

He reminds me of Earl Watson from few years back.

I’m sure everyone is very split on who they’d want out of the rotation, but I just think Fuchs has more potential to grow and get better.
0 x
Go Rhody
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 5 months ago

Consider URI had only 4 offensive rebounds vs Washington State. 3 were by Fuchs, the 4th by Foumena with 2 minutes left in the game. Nobody else had a single offensive rebound.

Fuchs leads the team in offensive rebounds and in defensive rebounds. So a team struggling with rebounding the basketball needs to find other options than to remove their best rebounder to date from the line up.

I hope he stays with Fuchs and puts Foumena in as Fou has shown aggressiveness in offensive and defensive rebounding and in defense itself. Big Fou showing energy. He could run off on Fuchs who is just a Freshman. No doubt Miller is showing tapes to all the players.

Need rebounding from guards too. Can't have all offensive rebounds by just 2 players.
Honestly, Ramster Fuchs should get a beating after what he did this weekend. It's one thing for a player to have a bad game and be overmatched. It's another thing to stop trying and walk back on defense multiple times. He seemed to pout and give up. It was embarrassing seeing a Rhode Island player do that. I think he has plenty of potential, and I'm not giving up on him, but it was a very bad look. I hope it doesn't happen again.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 5 months ago My guess is Arch and the staff watched the film and probably saw the same things we did with regards to Fuchs and I would hope he got a stern talking too about that’s not how we do things here with regards to hustle

Fuchs is just a Freshman. Fuch's rebounds per 40 minutes (5 games) is higher than Foumena and Brown

Fuch's and Foumena rebounds per 40 minutes are both higher than Bilau last season

This season thru 5 games
IMG_1047.jpeg

Last season
IMG_1046.jpeg
Yeah, he got a few rebounds but did everything else poorly over the weekend. Zero points, nine turnovers, bad defense and lack of hustle. I don't care how many rebounds he got, if he doesn't start playing harder, he should sit.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I would guess like last year, he doesn't start right away and if he plays well like last year he slides into the starting role.

I think he takes Fuchs' spot at first. He and Brown are a little more interchangeable, but it feels like they trust Brown more. He and Fuchs both need to work on post moves...

Another issue I have is playing undersized bigs like Brown and Fuchs against frontlines like NW and WSU have. We have a history of going into battle with a size disadvantage and it costing us. I really like what Fou has shown and his development is as important as anyone's for our future. Felt like he needed more minutes. I don't really see how Brown or Fuchs should be getting much more run than he is. Would he really dumb to shelf him when Bilau comes back. Dude has more potential than all of them.

Give me a competent athletic 6'11 big man in the A-10 all day everyday.

Seems like most good teams have one or two really good 6'10/6'11+ guys out there. Bilau and Fou could be really dangerous in A-10 play. Develop the actual bigs!
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Honestly, Ramster Fuchs should get a beating after what he did this weekend. It's one thing for a player to have a bad game and be overmatched. It's another thing to stop trying and walk back on defense multiple times. He seemed to pout and give up. It was embarrassing seeing a Rhode Island player do that. I think he has plenty of potential, and I'm not giving up on him, but it was a very bad look. I hope it doesn't happen again.
I don't remember which home game it was, but Fuchs had a turnover at midcourt and made no effort to chase the guy down that stole it. I remember turning to my wife and saying I hope that isn't going to be his demeanor. Arch needs to address this now. I assume we will see a change. It's funny because a couple of nights before I saw Derrick White in a Celtics game chase down someone from midcourt and block his shot. Those are the kind of players I hope Archie is looking for. More Hassan Martins, TJ Buchanan's and Jared Terrell's please.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

In a similar way, Sunday, he turned it over, then proceeded to could the guy that stole it. And stayed in game for a few minutes more. Totally unacceptable.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This season thru 5 games
IMG_1047.jpeg

Last season
IMG_1046.jpeg
Yeah, he got a few rebounds but did everything else poorly over the weekend. Zero points, nine turnovers, bad defense and lack of hustle. I don't care how many rebounds he got, if he doesn't start playing harder, he should sit.
Yes. He has gotten that message loud and clear from many on this board. Fuchs has been crushed.

Rebounding is about effort. Zero rebounds from all of the teams guards. Zero.
House has 2 total offensive rebounds in 5 games.

I get it about house.

How about spreading a little criticism across the board?

Like you said it's up to Archie Miller to manage every player on the team. Let's see what he does and doesn't do for Fuchs.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

This season thru 5 games
IMG_1047.jpeg

Last season
IMG_1046.jpeg
Yes. He has gotten that message loud and clear from many on this board. Fuchs has been crushed.

I get it about house.

Like you said it's up to Archie Miller to manage every player on the team. Let's see what he does and doesn't do for Fuchs.
House had a tough time adjusting to the size of the last 2 opponents when attacking the basket. Not once did I see him dog it.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I get it about house.

House had a tough time adjusting to the size of the last 2 opponents when attacking the basket. Not once did I see him dog it.
I'm not saying house dogged it. But 2 offensive rebounds in 5 games? And with all the drives he makes inside where he could rebound his own misses? He has had a good number of shots blocked driving in amongst the trees. Playing 2 P5 teams vs playing 3 teams 300+ NET showed differently. A 6'4" guard driving the lane should get more offensive rebounds than 2.
But I'm confident that Miller will address Fuchs' opportunities for improvement as well as House's and all others. There are lots of opportunities.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I get it about house.

I'm not saying house dogged it. But 2 offensive rebounds in 5 games? And with all the drives he makes inside where he could rebound his own misses? He has had a good number of shots blocked driving in amongst the trees. Playing 2 P5 teams vs playing 3 teams 300+ NET showed differently. A 6'4" guard driving the lane should get more offensive rebounds than 2.
But I'm confident that Miller will address Fuchs' opportunities for improvement as well as House's and all others. There are lots of opportunities.
I'm pretty sure a 6'3" shooting guard's responsibility isn't get offensive rebounds against 6'10" and 7'0" guys. Our bigs should be crashing the boards. Guards main job after shots is getting back on defense.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just show the film to the guys , if it was obvious to us , then the coaching staff had to see it , that’s their jobs
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

No one is saying Fuchs didn't put in any effort. He was battling for boards. But the bottom line is one player gave up on multiple possessions and didn't get back on defense. That was Fuchs. That is unacceptable at this level. I wouldn't see the floor again if I did that on my high school team,, let alone a D1 program like URI. Fuchs could have had 15 boards. That doesn't change the fact that you NEVER give up like that.

Why did Bray get called out last year? Because he was running his mouth on the sidelines. If a player has a bad attitude, it will stand out to fans, and that's exactly what happened with Fuchs. He deserves all the criticism he's getting, and I hope he learns from it and we see a different player on Sunday. He has plenty of time to redeem himself. We all make mistakes and no one is perfect.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago No one is saying Fuchs didn't put in any effort. He was battling for boards. But the bottom line is one player gave up on multiple possessions and didn't get back on defense. That was Fuchs. That is unacceptable at this level. I wouldn't see the floor again if I did that on my high school team,, let alone a D1 program like URI. Fuchs could have had 15 boards. That doesn't change the fact that you NEVER give up like that.

Why did Bray get called out last year? Because he was running his mouth on the sidelines. If a player has a bad attitude, it will stand out to fans, and that's exactly what happened with Fuchs. He deserves all the criticism he's getting, and I hope he learns from it and we see a different player on Sunday. He has plenty of time to redeem himself. We all make mistakes and no one is perfect.
Agree , over the weekend Fuchs had 0 points in 35 minutes though he grabbed 11 rebounds but turned it over 8 times

He was solid the first 3 games , so I’m hoping he can get his confidence up starting tomorrow
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago No one is saying Fuchs didn't put in any effort. He was battling for boards. But the bottom line is one player gave up on multiple possessions and didn't get back on defense. That was Fuchs. That is unacceptable at this level. I wouldn't see the floor again if I did that on my high school team,, let alone a D1 program like URI. Fuchs could have had 15 boards. That doesn't change the fact that you NEVER give up like that.

I get it. Trust me. It's been said here 500 times.

That's my point. Little criticism of anyone else in that game.

And why then didn't Miller bench him? If everyone here thinks it's this incredibly bad in both games with effort, turnovers, etc then put him in the bench as you all say. Why isn't that happening? Or do you expect the benching next game?

Put in Foumena. There is a guy giving the effort on offense and defense.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I'm pretty sure a 6'3" shooting guard's responsibility isn't get offensive rebounds against 6'10" and 7'0" guys. Our bigs should be crashing the boards. Guards main job after shots is getting back on defense.
Somebody forgot to tell Leggett that.
0 x