Games of Interest - 2023-2024 MBB

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Games of Interest - 2023-2024 MBB

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 5 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago

I'm confused. You said he is not a D1 Player. What is he? D2? D3? None of the above?
I was being sarcastic towards the ppl that said he's not a d1 player

That's why I used the dots and why blueman responded to me the way we did.
Oh, that went right by me.
Speaking of dots...did anyone see the Starlink thing in the sky last night? Pretty cool...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 months ago

Oh, that went right by me.
Speaking of dots...did anyone see the Starlink thing in the sky last night? Pretty cool...
I didn't but read about it later
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Davidson has blown an 18 point first half lead to Clemson. Now trailing by 7 with 12 minutes to go.

They didn't call a single timeout to slow down Clemsons run. These coaches are just dense sometimes.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Clemson beats Davidson 68-65.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I noticed the lack of TO calls as well. Had three to burn. Took one when it was too late.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

steveystuds06 wrote: 5 months ago Bassy is in a perfect spot. He can take 15+ shots a game, he can get big minutes, and won’t have the pressure of other guards taking his spot like he would have here. I think he’s going to put up good numbers with this role.. I wish him nothing but the best but he dropped down a level for a reason.
his overall stats are impressive after the first two games.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Davidson's usually good 3-pointer shooting deserted them as the Wildcats missed three 3 point attempts in the last 12 seconds of game.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Maryland lost to UAB to fall to 1-2. Not sure how good of a win Maryland is.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 5 months ago Clemson beats Davidson 68-65.
Winning that game was probably Davidsons only shot at carving out a respectable resume. They have one other marquee matchup with Saint Mary's (not seeing a win happening there) and a bunch of landmines.

Missed opportunity.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

He's just not that bad of a player. Also had 19 against UMass
I'm confused. You said he is not a D1 Player. What is he? D2? D3? None of the above?

So we're 2 games into this "resurgence" by Thomas.

I have no venom for the kid, IDK why you're fishing for me to keep burying the kid.

He certainly wasn't meant to be a D1 player when he came to URI. Dave Cox recruited him (and gave him his only D1 scholarship offer) after he flat out ignored Tyler Kolek (who wanted to play here) and tried to act like he could recruit the state of RI.

He was a 35% shooter at URI. Wildly inefficient. He was an overwhelming negative on most metrics. The eyeball test of boneheaded plays, shots, missed passes, turnovers, and critical mistakes doesn't show up on the stat sheet. Anyone who watched him play could see that while he may have been able to see the floor fairly well, he couldn't execute on what he was seeing. The definition of someone who didn't belong at the D1 level and should've gone the juco route or played D2.

So maybe he just needed 2 years to develop into a player who could top out at the America East level. Great. Happy for him.

But to act like seeing him succeed (for 2 games at a lower level) is somehow a swipe at anyone who might have "overlooked" him is wild.

He doesn't see the floor on this years team.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago

I have no venom for the kid, IDK why you're fishing for me to keep burying the kid.

He certainly wasn't meant to be a D1 player when he came to URI. Dave Cox recruited him (and gave him his only D1 scholarship offer) after he flat out ignored Tyler Kolek (who wanted to play here) and tried to act like he could recruit the state of RI.

He was a 35% shooter at URI. Wildly inefficient. He was an overwhelming negative on most metrics. The eyeball test of boneheaded plays, shots, missed passes, turnovers, and critical mistakes doesn't show up on the stat sheet. Anyone who watched him play could see that while he may have been able to see the floor fairly well, he couldn't execute on what he was seeing. The definition of someone who didn't belong at the D1 level and should've gone the juco route or played D2.

So maybe he just needed 2 years to develop into a player who could top out at the America East level. Great. Happy for him.

But to act like seeing him succeed (for 2 games at a lower level) is somehow a swipe at anyone who might have "overlooked" him is wild.

Lol I'm not taking that big of a shot at you it's just funny!

First team all American Bassy Thomas! Pride of Providence!
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Lmao. We need better sarcasm buttons.

Wasn't lost on me that Jarelle Reischele was an absolute dumpster fire here (though his advanced metrics weren't as bad as Thomas'), but then he went to EKU and averaged 22 per game.

Maybe some guys aren't cut out for the bright lights and high pressure of cow farms and 4000 fans throughout a south county winter.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Wasn't lost on me that Jarelle Reischele was an absolute dumpster fire here (though his advanced metrics weren't as bad as Thomas'), but then he went to EKU and averaged 22 per game.

Maybe some guys aren't cut out for the bright lights and high pressure of cow farms and 4000 fans throughout a south county winter.
That's a name I haven't heard in a while...! Maybe surprisingly, he's into year eight of his professional career. It probably comes to the Akele Caveat though, in that he has German citizenship and he's playing in the second division of the German league.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jarrelle I'd argue was worse than Bassy. He was 6'7 and couldn't hit a wide open layup.

Him going on and putting up 30+ and DBL digit rebound nights was insane.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Not sure if you guys saw this but St Mary’s lost @ home to Weber St as 15.5 favorites
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Michigan over St. John's 48-38 halftime at MSG.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ish playing on ACC Network right now. Tuning in for a bit to see how he looks at Pitt. Slow start for him so far but still the first half.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

Jersey77 wrote: 5 months ago Michigan over St. John's 48-38 halftime at MSG.
Isn't the coach at St. John's the same coach who had the Johnnies lose to Pace?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 5 months ago Ish playing on ACC Network right now. Tuning in for a bit to see how he looks at Pitt. Slow start for him so far but still the first half.
Looks like Ish either:
- dropped a few lbs, or,
- got taller and stayed the same weight
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

UMass and Duquesne with easy home wins over Quinnipiac and Stony Brook.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Not a game of interest, but Villanova down 4 to Penn with seconds left
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ish ended up having a real solid night. 17 points, 7 boards, 5 assists, 2 steals and no turnovers.
3 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Bad night for the Big East as they record two losses in the Gavitt games series with the Big Ten - Michigan routed St. John's at MSG and Purdue was a 83-71 winner over Xavier. Also in Big Five game in Philly, Penn upset Villanova, 76-72, resulting in storming of court by the students.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Obadiah wrote: 5 months ago Bad night for the Big East as they record two losses in the Gavitt games series with the Big Ten - Michigan routed St. John's at MSG and Purdue was a 83-71 winner over Xavier. Also in Big Five game in Philly, Penn upset Villanova, 76-72, resulting in storming of court by the students.
Say it ain’t so Coach Pitino and Coach Kyle Neptune !!
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Obadiah wrote: 5 months ago Bad night for the Big East as they record two losses in the Gavitt games series with the Big Ten - Michigan routed St. John's at MSG and Purdue was a 83-71 winner over Xavier. Also in Big Five game in Philly, Penn upset Villanova, 76-72, resulting in storming of court by the students.

Absolutely ZERO tears being shed.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

What a shame!
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KMac tweeting that Villanova should get credit for playing at The Palestra because most Big East teams wouldn't play @ an Ivy League arena is LOL funny.

Yea KMac, they probably just chose to play there randomly, definitely wasn't part of the Big 5 Philly games that happen every year.
7 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Wow, that's bad. Yeah, definitely play at Finneran Pavilion instead of one of the most historic basketball venues in the world.

Also they will get credit. Because it was played away even though they never left the city and if I had to guess there were more Villanova fans than Penn fans this will be considered a quad 3 loss and not a quad 4 loss if it was played at Finneran
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

You know, I'm not even surprised by that. Not even a little bit.

Classic Kevin McNamara.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The Big East is currently 19-6 with losses to Purdue, Michigan, Penn, IPFW, Long Beach State, and Holy Cross.

The A-10 is 27-6 with losses to Clemson, Northwestern, FAU, McNeese State, Cornell, and Canisius.

At a quick glance, the first week conference performances appear somewhat similar.
Last edited by RF1 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Father KMac
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 5 months ago The Big East is currently 19-6 with losses to Purdue, Michigan, Penn, IPFW, Long Beach State, and Holy Cross.

The A-10 is 27-6 with losses to Clemson, Northwestern, FAU, McNeese State, Cornell, and Canisius.

At a quick glance, the first week conference performances appear somewhat similar.
Need to check out the wins too, can’t leave those out.

Zero idea on the quality of those wins, but need to include those to have an accurate picture.
0 x
Go Rhody
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago
RF1 wrote: 5 months ago The Big East is currently 19-6 with losses to Purdue, Michigan, Penn, IPFW, Long Beach State, and Holy Cross.

Need to check out the wins too, can’t leave those out.

Zero idea on the quality of those wins, but need to include those to have an accurate picture.

The quality of wins is not all that much different in the first week as the schedules for both have been on the weak side. The A-10 has a win over Maryland which is the only P5 win yet for either conference. The next best win might be Duquesne's neutral site victory over Charleston. For common opponents - Both leagues have wins over Stony Brook and Stonehill. A-10 has a win over Penn while the Big East has a loss vs the Quakers.

Big East Wins (19)
East TN, SEMO, Eastern MI, Stonehill, NAU, FAMU, NDSU, Rider, No Illinois, Columbia, Milwaukee, American, LeMoyne (2x), St Peter's, FDU, Robert Morris, Jacksonville, Stony Brook

A-10 Wins (27)
Ill St, Lincoln-MO, Southern Indiana, Clev St, Charleston, Stony Brook, Albany, Quinnipiac, Stonehill, W&M, Siena, VMI, CCSU, Fairfield, Penn, Lafayette, Drexel, Northeastern, Monmouth, Austin Peay, Maryland, Wash & Lee, Eastern Il, Wagner, Longwood, Samford, Southern Il
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Also noteworthy is the BE has played 23 of its 25 games at home to date. Last night was the first time they played on road, losing both match-ups. In all fairness, the A-10 with many more games in the time span has played only one true road game (Dayton at NW), but has recorded 4 games at neutral sites.
2 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Nothing to this point really matters all too much. Can start to figure out the quality of teams next Sunday after most OOCTs have concluded.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 months ago Nothing to this point really matters all too much. Can start to figure out the quality of teams next Sunday after most OOCTs have concluded.
While I agree, and this is not me bashing but seriously asking - that seems like a lot of bad losses for the Big East this time of year. Is it normal? I usually don't follow your conference's OOC.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

DePaul drags the BE down every year !!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Anyone watching Wiscy PC waiting on our game to start ??
0 x
JM24
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by JM24 »

reef wrote: 5 months ago Anyone watching Wiscy PC waiting on our game to start ??
Yeah, tuned in for the first half. PC is giving them the business. That being said I’m more shocked of Wisconsin’s ineptitude on the offensive end than impressed by PC.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 months ago Nothing to this point really matters all too much. Can start to figure out the quality of teams next Sunday after most OOCTs have concluded.
While I agree, and this is not me bashing but seriously asking - that seems like a lot of bad losses for the Big East this time of year. Is it normal? I usually don't follow your conference's OOC.
It's certainly higher than normal. Usually the top teams in the conference take care of business and the bottom few teams drop a few.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PC was a dog and they blew out Wiscy , we are in for a tough one Dec 2 !
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Harvard beat NE by 24

Not too shocking as they beat us in that secret scrimmage
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Western Michigan giving Northwestern a game
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

LaSalle, GW, St Joe's and URI with wins tonight. Loyola in a dogfight with.....UIC.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 5 months ago PC was a dog and they blew out Wiscy , we are in for a tough one Dec 2 !
Wisconsin stinks, all top scores back from last year.

Only thing is, they were terrible last year.

No idea how Wisconsin was a 1.5 point favorite on the road.
0 x
Go Rhody
Ramfan22
ARD

Final: Northwestern 63 Western Michigan 59
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago
reef wrote: 5 months ago PC was a dog and they blew out Wiscy , we are in for a tough one Dec 2 !
Wisconsin stinks, all top scores back from last year.

Only thing is, they were terrible last year.

No idea how Wisconsin was a 1.5 point favorite on the road.
Milwaukee gave Providence a better fight at the AMP than Wisconsin.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Loyola will be top 5 A10 though.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 5 months ago LaSalle, GW, St Joe's and URI with wins tonight. Loyola in a dogfight with.....UIC.
and Loyola loses to UIC....great add. Good grief, the freekn knuckleheads that picked them for top tier of the conference...and Rhody at the bottom. You hafta love the uncertainty and unpredictable-ness of it all.
2 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 months ago Loyola will be top 5 A10 though.
Hahahaha
0 x