New Scoreboard Unveiling Saturday November 11 2023

All things Rhody Rams football.
ramster
Frank Keaney

New Scoreboard Unveiling Saturday November 11 2023

Unread post by ramster »

The New Scoreboard is set to debut this Saturday November 11, 2023 on Senior Day vs NC A&T

While fans will have to wait at least three years to see the beginning of any long-term changes to Meade, they can look forward to enjoying the video scoreboard in the near future, which will come complete with fully staffed control room, broadcast camera access with instant replay features and a brand new public address speaker system for the final portion of the 2023 season and beyond, according to Walzer.

https://rhodycigar.com/2023/10/19/new-v ... novations/

IMG_0670.jpeg
IMG_0674.jpeg
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: New Scoreboard Unveiling Saturday November 11 2023

Unread post by ramster »

IMG_0673.jpeg
IMG_0678.jpeg
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

:thumbsup: Nice photos
1 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Scoreboard looks amazing. Very over due. Glad we got it now!
Any inside word on what was done with the old one?
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodysk wrote: 5 months ago Scoreboard looks amazing. Very over due. Glad we got it now!

Given it was specifically configured for football, it might be difficult to adapt to other use such as soccer.

The easiest option might be for URI to sell it off to a smaller college or high school that has a football program.

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RF1 wrote: 5 months ago
Rhodysk wrote: 5 months ago Scoreboard looks amazing. Very over due. Glad we got it now!

Given it was specifically configured for football, it might be difficult to adapt to other use such as soccer.

The easiest option might be for URI to sell it off to a smaller college or high school that has a football program.

Would there be anything stopping us from just moving it to the North endzone this offseason? I can't imagine we'd make any substantial money from it, and like you said it doesn't seem like it's too adaptable
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Please send that old lite-brite scoreboard to the scrapyard.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote: 5 months ago Please send that old lite-brite scoreboard to the scrapyard.
The clock didn't work last game and all of the lights were going off for a period of time and then coming back on. The announcer was saying the time remaining periodically as the clock never worked.
Agree.
Junk yard asap. That scoreboard is long overdue to be scrapped.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Give it to a local high school team like SK. Although I haven't been to SKHS in decades, so maybe they have a nicer one than that.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I'm sure it's already gone and good riddance.

I was thrilled to hear it was taken down and gone. Had to see for myself and get pictures without it ruining the new scoreboard view.
Last edited by ramster 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago Give it to a local high school team like SK. Although I haven't been to SKHS in decades, so maybe they have a nicer one than that.
Well, if they have one that actually works, then, yes, they do.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

BTW, where did that old Patriots scoreboard end up?
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

The Clappin family is getting very good bang for their buck having their name prominently displayed on the scoreboard like it is. Very nice for them (and it benefits the school). Any idea how much something like this would cost? Their name is prominent for anybody walking by the field, anybody going to a basketball game when the field is lit up, and when any other game or activity takes place. It is much more prominent than the Ryan Center or the Soloviev practice facility at what I would assume is a fraction of the cost. But I could be wrong. I just googled them and they have been major benefactors to the practice facility as well as Meade Stadium. That would explain the prominent placement as it is more than just a scoreboard that they have donated to the school.

Also, just realized that the scoreboard will not be viewable for people using the field suites. That is interesting but not much that can be done about that it appears.

Nothing refreshes a field or a stadium quite like a new scoreboard so looking forward to seeing it.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

4Diffs wrote: 5 months ago The Clappin family is getting very good bang for their buck having their name prominently displayed on the scoreboard like it is. Very nice for them (and it benefits the school). Any idea how much something like this would cost? Their name is prominent for anybody walking by the field, anybody going to a basketball game when the field is lit up, and when any other game or activity takes place. It is much more prominent than the Ryan Center or the Soloviev practice facility at what I would assume is a fraction of the cost. But I could be wrong. I just googled them and they have been major benefactors to the practice facility as well as Meade Stadium. That would explain the prominent placement as it is more than just a scoreboard that they have donated to the school.

Also, just realized that the scoreboard will not be viewable for people using the field suites. That is interesting but not much that can be done about that it appears.

Nothing refreshes a field or a stadium quite like a new scoreboard so looking forward to seeing it.
Scoreboard was $1 million

Clappin donated $1 million for the enhancements of Lights and Turf - which was a total $4 million project.

https://www.uri.edu/news/2018/08/alumni ... e-stadium/
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 5 months ago
4Diffs wrote: 5 months ago The Clappin family is getting very good bang for their buck having their name prominently displayed on the scoreboard like it is. Very nice for them (and it benefits the school). Any idea how much something like this would cost? Their name is prominent for anybody walking by the field, anybody going to a basketball game when the field is lit up, and when any other game or activity takes place. It is much more prominent than the Ryan Center or the Soloviev practice facility at what I would assume is a fraction of the cost. But I could be wrong. I just googled them and they have been major benefactors to the practice facility as well as Meade Stadium. That would explain the prominent placement as it is more than just a scoreboard that they have donated to the school.

Clappin donated $1 million for the enhancements of Lights and Turf - which was a total $4 million project.

Interesting that article brings up the field as hosting "outdoor performances and music festivals."

I may have missed some but I'm pretty sure neither of those things have happened.
0 x
Go Rhody
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Since we are naming amounts, they gave another million dollars towards the practice facility. I doubt the scoreboard cost one million dollars and the original football donation was for the turf and lights. Because they gave one million dollars for that does not mean the scoreboard cost one million dollars. They are recognizing a generous benefactor who has given at least two million dollars to URI athletics.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I was surprised that a board that size would be $1 million, but that's what the Cigar article in the top post said. Then again maybe that's including the cost of the control room and equipment in it
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

4Diffs wrote: 5 months ago

Since we are naming amounts, they gave another million dollars towards the practice facility. I doubt the scoreboard cost one million dollars and the original football donation was for the turf and lights. Because they gave one million dollars for that does not mean the scoreboard cost one million dollars. They are recognizing a generous benefactor who has given at least two million dollars to URI athletics.
We are naming amounts because you asked any idea what something like this scoreboard would cost?
I began this thread with the URI 5 Cent Cigar article that noted the $1 million cost.
Maybe it's a little over or a little under that amount but that's what the University is saying.
1 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

5F01DACA-4230-4246-BD67-B3DD8C5A82A6.jpeg
Can't the video board be moved closer to the back end one?
You could hardly make out the down or yards to go.
0 x
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

OBRAM wrote: 5 months ago 5F01DACA-4230-4246-BD67-B3DD8C5A82A6.jpeg
Can't the video board be moved closer to the back end one?
You could hardly make out the down or yards to go.
My friend asked the same thing about the scoreboard, like why is it so far back? The only answer I had was maybe they are thinking they can add some end zone stands at the south side of the stadium. Overall it was nice and a huge improvement, but they took up about a quarter of the left side of board with advertising, I get that it’s $ for the school, but it made the actual replays off center and smaller than what I thought they would be. Still very happy the Clappin family made this happen and it was nice to see the lights in the second half, another improvement helped by the Clappin family. Meade stadium is going to improve very soon and even if we don’t have the biggest stadium we could have the most aesthetically pleasing stadium in the CAA. Go Rhody!
1 x