Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by bigappleram »

EZ was awesome. It sounded like an NBA arena on his three point calls. Give him the job permanently.
8 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago EZ was awesome. It sounded like an NBA arena on his three point calls. Give him the job permanently.
Agree, much better than Yorke
5 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Also for anyone wondering. Our broadcasters talked about Fairfield players performance against Boston University in their last outing. Said it numerous times. Only problem was they played Boston College.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 5 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago

don't put words in my mouth. the kids are fine. they do a great job. you want a pro broadcast, have URI step up its end of the deal.

ESPN gives us the means to put it out there. the rest is on us.

let's remember exactly who we are, currently a middle of the road team in a middle of the road mid major conference. no one outside this board gives a shit about our broadcast or us.
I hate this take. The kids may be "fine" - but they don't do a great job. This isn't a school project. It's a professional extension of our school's multi-million dollar enterprise that is a part of a multi-billion dollar national enterprise.

Saying they do a great job is putting qualifiers on it. You don't put qualifiers on a professional anything. Yeah, they do a "great job" for kids who aren't ready for professional sports broadcasting and seemingly know neither broadcasting nor sports. Who at work gets qualifers on their performance? College is preparation for the real world - but this broadcast is literally the real world in this arena.

As pointed out, just about everyone else uses professionals. That is who these kids are compared to because that's the arena they are in. You don't do kids any favors or get any special life points by lying and saying they're doing great when they're not. Stone Freeman is great. Nikki Lattarulo is great. Ruthie Polinski is great. They are professionals and the exception, not the rule.

But the last line - let's remember exactly who we are, currently a middle of the road team in a middle of the road mid major conference. no one outside this board gives a shit about our broadcast or us. - THIS IS THE PROBLEM.

Why are you even on the board caring so much about this program while accepting that we shouldn't be any better than we historically have been?

We have a top of the conference, if not top of the country basketball arena. We have a top of the conference, if not top of the country basketball coach. WHY SHOULDN'T THE REST OF THE PROGRAM AND ITS EXTENSIONS BE AT THE SAME LEVEL???

The accepted mediocrity is Baron-esque. Expect and demand more of your program or it will never change.
where can I get some of those Keaney Blue sunglasses?? truth hurts, eh?

...but it is a school project. email Thorr about it. not me.

who said I accepted anything? I care about what we do on the floor. not some shitty online stream. but again, you go ahead and email the AD. I'm sure he'll get right on it.

yes, nice building. seeming decent coach.

In any event, this is all being taken out of context and my original response to this was about the personal attacks on the kids. you need to be a real piece of shit to rip apart kids doing course work while getting real work experience.

I hope some of you don't reproduce, would hate to have adults tell your kids how much they suck while they're trying to find their way.
Wut? You should try this new med they've come out with, it's called the "chill pill"....

I'm not for ripping anyone, whether it's student announcers or student players (altho, I probably have), but would never wish reproductive woes on any of them. Do you know anyone that's been through that?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

who said I accepted anything? I care about what we do on the floor. not some shitty online stream. but again, you go ahead and email the AD. I'm sure he'll get right on it.

In any event, this is all being taken out of context and my original response to this was about the personal attacks on the kids. you need to be a real piece of shit to rip apart kids doing course work while getting real work experience.

I hope some of you don't reproduce, would hate to have adults tell your kids how much they suck while they're trying to find their way.
Oh my God they're 20-22 year olds. They're not kids. No one is going into the Chaffee studio and calling these kids pieces of shit.

This is not a school project. It's a professional endeavor. The same professional event that this message board is referencing where everyone is on here ripping the players, Dan Yorke, the arena management, the concessions, coaches, broadcasters - all are professionals.

If you're on ESPN+, which is now the pre-eminent method for consuming D1 college hoops - which is essentially professional, you are opening yourself up to all of the criticism. These kids are on the same platform doing similar D1 games alongside 55 year old broadcast professionals. Stop putting qualifiers on there. As someone who went to this university and studied broadcast journalism, I can say with a ton of certainty that TV is not a friendly industry. It's ridiculously hard. So is the criticism. If you're not cut out for it it's better to find that out early, than waste 10 years of your life doing it.

As for reproducing, now that we're bringing actual kids into it, you can confidently go suck a dick. I'll make sure I don't raise pussies who need to be coddled in their 20's and "protected" by random internet strangers because they couldn't handle the truth of not being cut out for something.
nice.

so when do we fat shame the ramettes and cheerleaders?
Ummm...I would say, "when they're fat"? But, that's just my guess....
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Also with the broadcast no replay of the Big Fou flagrant

Come on ESPN plus you are better than that !
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Is ESPN plus better than that?
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago Is ESPN plus better than that?
No.
2 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Had to leave game early to be at work on time. JV does a much better job than Yorke and not nearly as loud. The Varsity App crapped out on me with about 4 minutes left. Steve just started telling the story of the recruitment of David Fuchs and it went dead. It would have been the most interesting part of the second half for me. Am I the only one who lost connection with the app?
2 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 months ago

I hate this take. The kids may be "fine" - but they don't do a great job. This isn't a school project. It's a professional extension of our school's multi-million dollar enterprise that is a part of a multi-billion dollar national enterprise.

Saying they do a great job is putting qualifiers on it. You don't put qualifiers on a professional anything. Yeah, they do a "great job" for kids who aren't ready for professional sports broadcasting and seemingly know neither broadcasting nor sports. Who at work gets qualifers on their performance? College is preparation for the real world - but this broadcast is literally the real world in this arena.

As pointed out, just about everyone else uses professionals. That is who these kids are compared to because that's the arena they are in. You don't do kids any favors or get any special life points by lying and saying they're doing great when they're not. Stone Freeman is great. Nikki Lattarulo is great. Ruthie Polinski is great. They are professionals and the exception, not the rule.

But the last line - let's remember exactly who we are, currently a middle of the road team in a middle of the road mid major conference. no one outside this board gives a shit about our broadcast or us. - THIS IS THE PROBLEM.

Why are you even on the board caring so much about this program while accepting that we shouldn't be any better than we historically have been?

We have a top of the conference, if not top of the country basketball arena. We have a top of the conference, if not top of the country basketball coach. WHY SHOULDN'T THE REST OF THE PROGRAM AND ITS EXTENSIONS BE AT THE SAME LEVEL???

The accepted mediocrity is Baron-esque. Expect and demand more of your program or it will never change.

Wut? You should try this new med they've come out with, it's called the "chill pill"....

I'm not for ripping anyone, whether it's student announcers or student players (altho, I probably have), but would never wish reproductive woes on any of them. Do you know anyone that's been through that?
I said 'don't'. not 'can't'. I did not wish reproduct woes upon anyone. I certainly feel for those facing anything of the sort.

I stand by my statement with no apologies. ripping on students doing course work at the college level because they're not 'pros' is wicked shitty.

I'm done with this aspect of the RC in game experience. you adults want to carry on bagging on kids, have at it.
0 x
:lol:
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I said 'don't'. not 'can't'. I did not wish reproduct woes upon anyone. I certainly feel for those facing anything of the sort.

I stand by my statement with no apologies. ripping on students doing course work at the college level because they're not 'pros' is wicked shitty.

I'm done with this aspect of the RC in game experience. you adults want to carry on bagging on kids, have at it.
I’m not bagging on kids. I’m bagging on adults who put those kids in that position. But also is it fair to ask them to at worse know the difference between BC and BU?
3 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago

I’m not bagging on kids. I’m bagging on adults who put those kids in that position. But also is it fair to ask them to at worse know the difference between BC and BU?
certainly, homework is part of course work.
1 x
:lol:
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Last night I was in the car for most of the first half and streamed the radio broadcast - it was so refreshing listening to Steve and Chris’s call I was tempted to sit in my car in the driveway and listen to the second half. Obviously I don’t have access to the numbers but my assumption is that far more people are accessing the game via ESPN+ than the varsity app. To the extent that URI has control over who is doing what in these broadcast teams, I think they really need to consider either switching Steve and Chris over to the TV side or just simulcasting their call on both mediums because it really is an embarrassment what we are putting out there as a video streaming product.

I do feel bad ripping kids who I am sure are really good kids doing their honest best, and it really isn’t their fault - but the quality of our broadcast can’t even be graded on a professional scale it is so far off the mark, and I’d guess that even compared to other student broadcasts from colleges like Syracuse it is extremely poor. When we had Stone here, he was still a student and so obviously not yet up to par with experienced professional broadcasters but was at least talented and knowledgeable enough that you could envision him getting there someday and his contributions were very passable. That was lightyears ahead of what we have now, which is just a complete disaster. Keep in mind - we PAY actual money to stream games on ESPN+. They owe us at least a neutral quality broadcast as a baseline - it should not be painful and cringe-inducing to listen to.
3 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Also - can someone explain to me why Rhody ram was directing a bunch of idiots in some confusing and loud cheer under the basket while Luis was shooting free throws?

He missed both. Someone in the 100s needs to regulate that shit if it happens again. Why is everything but the basketball so God damn Mickey Mouse around here?
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
gazakaza
Steve Chubin

Unread post by gazakaza »

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago Also - can someone explain to me why Rhody ram was directing a bunch of idiots in some confusing and loud cheer under the basket while Luis was shooting free throws?

He missed both. Someone in the 100s needs to regulate that shit if it happens again. Why is everything but the basketball so God damn Mickey Mouse around here?
Apparently they are trying to start the Get in the hole chant that was done a few years ago. That got put to a stop with Hurley because he hated it, and the only thing they should be cheering is if the free throw goes on. At one point last night I screamed from 203, shut up.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If they kept saying BU instead of BC, then it was even bad for a ''school project''.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I think they did a bit better last night.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

being out of state - honestly i am just happy that i can watch all the games so easily

GO RHODY !
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Oh my God they're 20-22 year olds. They're not kids. No one is going into the Chaffee studio and calling these kids pieces of shit.

This is not a school project. It's a professional endeavor. The same professional event that this message board is referencing where everyone is on here ripping the players, Dan Yorke, the arena management, the concessions, coaches, broadcasters - all are professionals.

If you're on ESPN+, which is now the pre-eminent method for consuming D1 college hoops - which is essentially professional, you are opening yourself up to all of the criticism. These kids are on the same platform doing similar D1 games alongside 55 year old broadcast professionals. Stop putting qualifiers on there. As someone who went to this university and studied broadcast journalism, I can say with a ton of certainty that TV is not a friendly industry. It's ridiculously hard. So is the criticism. If you're not cut out for it it's better to find that out early, than waste 10 years of your life doing it.

As for reproducing, now that we're bringing actual kids into it, you can confidently go suck a dick. I'll make sure I don't raise pussies who need to be coddled in their 20's and "protected" by random internet strangers because they couldn't handle the truth of not being cut out for something.
There's a massive difference between someone giving these students constructive criticism up to and including saying they're not cut out for a job in broadcasting and the douchebag post that started this part of the conversation. And yeah, no one broke into Chafee, but I'm sure the students broadcasting the game are looking here to see feedback.

A lot of the people we're saying are good now we thought sucked before. Reps matter. For confidence, for practice, and for finding the role you're suited for. It's not like there are a lot of reps a college students will have under their belt in this field at this point in their careers.

If you want to say broadcasting men's basketball games isn't the place to get reps well fine. But that's a school issue, not a student issue. Also, most of the professional broadcasters people are yearning for kind of suck in their own right
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

I rarely have the volume turned up on any sporting event I have on the TV. I usually have tunes on and just watch the game without commentary, I have enough commentary going on in my head as it is!
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago

There's a massive difference between someone giving these students constructive criticism up to and including saying they're not cut out for a job in broadcasting and the douchebag post that started this part of the conversation. And yeah, no one broke into Chafee, but I'm sure the students broadcasting the game are looking here to see feedback.

A lot of the people we're saying are good now we thought sucked before. Reps matter. For confidence, for practice, and for finding the role you're suited for. It's not like there are a lot of reps a college students will have under their belt in this field at this point in their careers.

If you want to say broadcasting men's basketball games isn't the place to get reps well fine. But that's a school issue, not a student issue. Also, most of the professional broadcasters people are yearning for kind of suck in their own right
Traditionally, students in these kids’ positions would be cutting their teeth on college radio. Not sure if 90.3 is still even on the air, but that is the appropriate place for it. If it’s not still on the air, setup a stream somewhere on the vast internet and link to it on gorhody.com. There are ways to get aspiring broadcasters reps without torturing people that paid to watch/listen. As I mentioned above when Stone started he wasn’t exactly polished either but you could tell he had a ton of potential for it. Truthfully I’m not seeing the same thing from this duo - anyone can improve with focused effort and dedication and perseverance, but I’m not sure the raw tools are there in terms of basketball knowledge or general…uh idk…conversational ability (if that is a thing?).

Regardless, where we agree is this is 100% not their fault and shouldn’t be their problem - it is irresponsible for adults who should know better to put these kids in a position to take this kind of criticism from the paying general public - I stress that we are paying because by handing over our money I think we are entitled to some level of competence and professionalism. There is a huge difference between a bad professional commentator and a bad amateur, not to mention the fact that we have extremely capable - and I would argue excellent - options already sitting there and doing the games!
8 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Between the anthem and lineup introductions we had a small ceremony listing her accomplishments and presenting her with a photo from her playing days and roses. Later another former player was introduced.

This should be standard operating procedure
4 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

Many highlights at the Women's game tonight but one of the best was having John Vanner doing the PA.
3 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Not to keep harping on the ESPN+ broadcast, but to me there are two things that really stick out while watching the first quarter of the football game.

1)We have a really good radio broadcast. I feel like SteveMac does a good job, and Chris is one of the absolute best. Very plugged in, super knowledgeable and insightful. If you can sync up the radio and TV broadcast, do it!

2) The football TV booth is good too! We all know how talented Stone is. Kyle Rowley does a good job too. Occasionally they throw it down to a student on the sideline, which is fine no matter how nervous they are... I also enjoy Steve and Terry on the radio broadcast, but I don't feel the need to go out of my way to mute the TV and listen to the broadcast call.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Exactly Bos. The way they integrate the students on the football broadcast should be mimicked for hoops. It’s not that hard.

Football only has professional broadcasters no matter the platform (Flo or ESPN+). Why our flagship program is turned into a work study is beyond me.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Bos8 wrote: 5 months ago Not to keep harping on the ESPN+ broadcast, but to me there are two things that really stick out while watching the first quarter of the football game.

1)We have a really good radio broadcast. I feel like SteveMac does a good job, and Chris is one of the absolute best. Very plugged in, super knowledgeable and insightful. If you can sync up the radio and TV broadcast, do it!

2) The football TV booth is good too! We all know how talented Stone is. Kyle Rowley does a good job too. Occasionally they throw it down to a student on the sideline, which is fine no matter how nervous they are... I also enjoy Steve and Terry on the radio broadcast, but I don't feel the need to go out of my way to mute the TV and listen to the broadcast call.
I'd prefer to have a former URI player in the Kyle Rowley spot, but overall he's fine. I'm not a huge fan of Terry, but he's not bad to the point of avoiding the broadcast
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

This may have been answered already, but why does Stone do football but not basketball?
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Another thing to consider is getting better cameras eventually?

Not sure how possible it is, but you'd want your ESPN+ games to look like regular ESPN at some point. I know it's probably an expensive endeavor, but it's gotta happen someday.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago This may have been answered already, but why does Stone do football but not basketball?
Maybe because Flosports pays better and we just let students do the basketball games to be nice?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago Another thing to consider is getting better cameras eventually?

Not sure how possible it is, but you'd want your ESPN+ games to look like regular ESPN at some point. I know it's probably an expensive endeavor, but it's gotta happen someday.
Not showing the replay on Foumena flagrant is awful and screams amateur hour @ its finest
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago I’m sorry. But SIX DOLLARS for a bottled water????

That’s more than Gillette.
$6!? And it’s not like you can bring in your own. Christ almighty. It’s water.
0 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

The replays are great at the football games. They even show the controversial plays.
Last edited by damram 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

New $1 million scoreboard debuted perfectly today on Salute to Service and Senior Day!!

Plenty of replays were shown including TD's, big plays, controversial plays.........Screen is high quality, new speaker system clear and strong.

It's great to be able to rewatch a big play. Screen shows intro that a Replay is about to start.

Saw Tammi Reiss at the game in the Ryan Center on the West Side stands. Always full of energy and talking with fans. Big WBB Game coming up for URI WBB in a week on Sunday November 19 at North Carolina State at 2pm on ACCN

NC State represents a big opportunity for Tammi and Team.

NC State hosts #2 Ranked UCONN WBB tomorrow Sunday Nov 12 at 3 PM on National TV ABC

Saw Jeremy Foumena at the game and chatted a bit. Very nice guy.

IMG_0753.jpeg
IMG_0754.jpeg
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

IMG_0743.jpeg
IMG_0742.jpeg
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 5 months ago New $1 million scoreboard debuted perfectly today on Salute to Service and Senior Day!!

Plenty of replays were shown including TD's, big plays, controversial plays.........Screen is high quality, new speaker system clear and strong.

It's great to be able to rewatch a big play. Screen shows intro that a Replay is about to start.

Saw Tammi Reiss at the game in the Ryan Center on the West Side stands. Always full of energy and talking with fans. Big WBB Game coming up for URI WBB in a week on Sunday November 19 at North Carolina State at 2pm on ACCN

NC State hosts #2 Ranked UCONN WBB tomorrow Sunday Nov 12 at 3 PM on National TV ABC

IMG_0753.jpeg

IMG_0754.jpeg
Thanks for the reports Ramster , what did you ask Big Fou ??
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote: 5 months ago
ramster wrote: 5 months ago

Theblueram,
1,500 actual might be a bit low I'd guess 2000.
Easy concessions, easy parking, easy leaving the parking lot
Empty seat areas in the 200 level seems to indicate season ticket renewals are down. That's where the revenue is.
We have this discussion ever year about great disparity in announced attendance versus fannies in seats. Rather than making wild guesses we should think rationally. First, the announced attendance at any game is comprised of the number of students who show up plus comp tickets and the ticket purchases. So any difference between the announced attendance and the turnstile count is the number of no shows which boils down to the season ticket holder crowd. Breaking down the crowd components further shows the following
1) Students
2) Advanced single game purchases
3) Walk-up crowd
4) Mini packages and full season ticket purchases.

Obviously, students are there and in the turnstile counted. People who buy single game tickets in advance are likely to be there, Walk up crowd is obviously there.That leaves the season ticker crowd as the biggest source of the no shows. Season ticket holders total over 2000. So when you claim the fannies in seats are 1500 or 2000, you are really saying that over half of season ticket holders are not showing up for games and that does not make sense.
I think it makes perfect sense. I have 4 season tix and used one (25%). Sat with someone that had two, and also used one (50%). I know of another that also had two and used one (50%), and I know someone else that has two, and didn't use any (0%) From those ten, 70% no show rate right there. The only reason this conversation exists is because...people are curious about "how many people were actually there?", that's all....which seems like a reasonable question, but one that is sure to be shat upon whenever it comes up. Like clockwork. Count on it. :-)
I also had one unused and when I showed up I was offered free tickets by several people. So probably a bunch of season ticket holders choosing to do other things than attend the low NET opponents. Makes sense.

4118 for CCSU
4155 for Fairfield

Felt the Fannys in seats was higher for Game 2 especially in 200 level and in Student Section

Wondered about the make up of student section. What % of Student Section are Freshmen, what % of Student Section are seeing 1st or 2nd URI game ever? My guess is a lot

So good actual looked higher!!
Great idea to hand out long skinny Keaney blue colored balloons to students at start of 2nd half. Bothers opponent FT Shooters but most importantly students enjoyed it. Keep students engaged and wanting to come back - especially important for new freshmen and incoming transfers

New this year passing out Paper Rosters at MBB and WBB games. Lists rosters for both teams and team/individual YTD Stats on back.
Told in response to fans last year asking for this - we are listening :-)
One reason is roster turnover is so huge these days so fans want the programs back - nice idea
Unfortunately another reason is fans can't always pull up rosters in their phones so the return of paper - Ri-Fy strikes again
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Had paper rosters every MBB game last year

Mandatory if you’re not providing wifi access…
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I was told it was new this year. So maybe that was for the WBB only.
I liked the stats on the back of the roster paper
They had plenty of them and staff standing handing them out. I don't recall that happening last year.
Either way, it's a nice additional feature for those who want the paper.

I hope the Ri-Fi gets fixed :cry: :cry: and Replays :oops: :oops:
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I went to the women's game on Friday and sat in the 1st row in section 212. The seats in that area are in rough shape. For the men's games, I'm much further back and the seats are fine. I wonder why the ones I sat in for the women's games are like that? It looks like someone took a box cutter to them. They are all sliced up. I know it's wear and tear and the seats are still comfortable, but I wonder if there are plans to replace them soon?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago I went to the women's game on Friday and sat in the 1st row in section 212. The seats in that area are in rough shape. For the men's games, I'm much further back and the seats are fine. I wonder why the ones I sat in for the women's games are like that? It looks like someone took a box cutter to them. They are all sliced up. I know it's wear and tear and the seats are still comfortable, but I wonder if there are plans to replace them soon?
Hmmm....we're in 208 and the seats are fine. Is 212 the shank and numchuck section?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote: 5 months ago

We have this discussion ever year about great disparity in announced attendance versus fannies in seats. Rather than making wild guesses we should think rationally. First, the announced attendance at any game is comprised of the number of students who show up plus comp tickets and the ticket purchases. So any difference between the announced attendance and the turnstile count is the number of no shows which boils down to the season ticket holder crowd. Breaking down the crowd components further shows the following
1) Students
2) Advanced single game purchases
3) Walk-up crowd
4) Mini packages and full season ticket purchases.

Obviously, students are there and in the turnstile counted. People who buy single game tickets in advance are likely to be there, Walk up crowd is obviously there.That leaves the season ticker crowd as the biggest source of the no shows. Season ticket holders total over 2000. So when you claim the fannies in seats are 1500 or 2000, you are really saying that over half of season ticket holders are not showing up for games and that does not make sense.
I think it makes perfect sense. I have 4 season tix and used one (25%). Sat with someone that had two, and also used one (50%). I know of another that also had two and used one (50%), and I know someone else that has two, and didn't use any (0%) From those ten, 70% no show rate right there. The only reason this conversation exists is because...people are curious about "how many people were actually there?", that's all....which seems like a reasonable question, but one that is sure to be shat upon whenever it comes up. Like clockwork. Count on it. :-)
I also had one unused and when I showed up I was offered free tickets by several people. So probably a bunch of season ticket holders choosing to do other things than attend the low NET opponents. Makes sense.

4118 for CCSU
4155 for Fairfield

Felt the Fannys in seats was higher for Game 2 especially in 200 level and in Student Section

Wondered about the make up of student section. What % of Student Section are Freshmen, what % of Student Section are seeing 1st or 2nd URI game ever? My guess is a lot

Great idea to hand out long skinny Keaney blue colored balloons to students at start of 2nd half. Bothers opponent FT Shooters but most importantly students enjoyed it. Keep students engaged and wanting to come back - especially important for new freshmen and incoming transfers

New this year passing out Paper Rosters at MBB and WBB games. Lists rosters for both teams and team/individual YTD Stats on back.
One reason is roster turnover is so huge these days so fans want the programs back - nice idea
Unfortunately another reason is fans can't always pull up rosters in their phones so the return of paper - Ri-Fy strikes again
It did seem like quite a few more folks in the arena this game. Love the balloon thing, too. Would still like to see it connected between the 200 & 300 section. 8-)

Also like the roster sheet, but in order to read the stat side, I'd have to remember to bring my readers...how about a large print edition? :lol:
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

4118 for CCSU
4155 for Fairfield

It did seem like quite a few more folks in the arena this game. Love the balloon thing, too. Would still like to see it connected between the 200 & 300 section. 8-)

Also like the roster sheet, but in order to read the stat side, I'd have to remember to bring my readers...how about a large print edition? :lol:
URI Ram Pocket magnifying glasses to the 1st 500 fans next game to help with the stat sheet?

Yep. More fannys in seats.

Noise level seemed to go up with music from game1. Had to wait til it finally stopped a few times to be able to talk/listen. Did somebody say crank it back up?

I find it hard to understand the words. Maybe get every 3rd word and try to piece it together. Maybe turn down the volume and don't yell? Anyone else have trouble hearing the words?

Why say "ball out of bounds. Fairfield ball"? We are all there and see that. Less play by play please. Let the game speak for itself.

More Fannys in seats, paper roster sheets (Ri-Fi), balloons, back to back wins. Looking up - Wagner Tuesday.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Sometimes this thread needs a little Dr. Rick:

2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Ri-Fi 😂
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 5 months ago
ramster wrote: 5 months ago New $1 million scoreboard debuted perfectly today on Salute to Service and Senior Day!!

IMG_0753.jpeg

IMG_0754.jpeg
Talked about my having seen him play a couple times 2 years ago with Orangeburg Prep in Providence. He fondly remembered playing there.
Also talked of upcoming Tournament at Mohegan. He's a great guy.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

IMG_0753.jpeg

IMG_0754.jpeg
Talked about my having seen him play a couple times 2 years ago with Orangeburg Prep in Providence. He fondly remembered playing there.
Fou Fighter!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

IMG_0753.jpeg

IMG_0754.jpeg
Seems like Arch brought some nice quality kids to URI both on and off the court , a pleasure to root for this group
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

So apparently the people that run our concessions have decided to bring the McDLT back

15-20 minutes before the game starts I hit the concessions stands figuring what the hell I'll grab a couple of hot dogs. They're all out of hot dogs that are ready and it will be 5-10 minutes before anymore are ready. Lets just not even mention how galactically stupid it is that on a night where the building is only half full you don't have anymore of your feature concession item ready. I say that's fine, I'll grab a cheeseburger instead. What I got back was $8 and barely a step above McDonald's and not as good as a Wendy's hamburger. On top of that nevermind that the cheese wasn't melted it was ice cold. How hard is it to melt cheese on a cheeseburger?

I get that high prices in arena's are a thing, but if you're going to charge people through the nose for food maybe it can be more than a step above edible? What is it exactly that the "disrupters" at Oak View Group bring to the table in terms of managing the arena? Are concessions managed by Sodexo, who acquired Centerplate? We need a LOT better if you expect people to spend money on this product
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago So apparently the people that run our concessions have decided to bring the McDLT back

15-20 minutes before the game starts I hit the concessions stands figuring what the hell I'll grab a couple of hot dogs. They're all out of hot dogs that are ready and it will be 5-10 minutes before anymore are ready. Lets just not even mention how galactically stupid it is that on a night where the building is only half full you don't have anymore of your feature concession item ready. I say that's fine, I'll grab a cheeseburger instead. What I got back was $8 and barely a step above McDonald's and not as good as a Wendy's hamburger. On top of that nevermind that the cheese wasn't melted it was ice cold. How hard is it to melt cheese on a cheeseburger?

I get that high prices in arena's are a thing, but if you're going to charge people through the nose for food maybe it can be more than a step above edible? What is it exactly that the "disrupters" at Oak View Group bring to the table in terms of managing the arena? Are concessions managed by Sodexo, who acquired Centerplate? We need a LOT better if you expect people to spend money on this product
I didn't think they sold anything but beer. I mean, I see "food" there, but thought it was just a prop. People buy that stuff?
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Speaking of RC food, the Alumni Lounge offerings, so far this year are way better than previous years. Reviews, mine and few others would agree, I think. Coach Carroll stayed for many Q and As.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938