Games of Interest - 2023-2024 MBB

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Games of Interest - 2023-2024 MBB

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago

Do you actually think we would sell out the Ryan Center if #10 FAU came? We wouldn't.

Final Four, #10 ranking is cool and all to the hardcore fans, but people will see "Florida Atlantic" and simply not come.
1. We would absolutely sell out for a team that made the FInal Four and was ranked #10 in the country. There's zero doubt.
2. Make it promoted by Barstool and add a P5 matchup after the game? Are you kidding me that we wouldn't sell out?
3. They only drew 5361 people. Against a FInal Four team ranked #10.
Here's who we drew more than that against last year:
Quinnipiac
Providence
George Mason
Dayton
La Salle
UMass
Davidson
There's zero excuses for that lack of attendance. It's a suckbag program that doesn't belong in the A10 now that Porter Moser is gone and their 15 minutes of fame are over

“Make it promoted by Barstool” lol you must not be so in tuned with Barstool and how they do business. You make it sound like it’d be easy to have them host a doubleheader.

Barstool is based in NYC and Chicago, they’re not hosting games in Kingston RI.

They also host the Arizona Bowl for college football as they do business out there as well, mainly golf.
I assume what RR2 means is that beyond the #10 team if you add a massive promo partner like Barstool behind the event it would further drive attendance. I don't think he was saying Barstool would be promoting a game in Kingston.

Also where Barstool is headquartered isn't driving their decision making...does ESPN only sponsor events in CT? They are trying to evolve into a media company from a publisher bc publishing is a dying biz and they will do more of these types of events they can own and sell advertising around moving fwd and I doubt it will be limited to where their offices are.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Thank you. I felt it was pretty obvious what I meant, but we know how Rhody15 can get with reading comprehension...
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago Thank you. I felt it was pretty obvious what I meant, but we know how Rhody15 can get with reading comprehension...
You are such a hack.

The reading comprehension thing is absolutely hilarious, one person says something years ago and people latch on. Can’t read, PC fan, and I’m Rhody Vault. Tremendous.

You didn’t say make it promoted by a big entity like BAR said, you said promoted by barstool.

Just latching onto his post to try and take a jab at me.

If you meant a big entity, you would’ve said that.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago

1. We would absolutely sell out for a team that made the FInal Four and was ranked #10 in the country. There's zero doubt.
2. Make it promoted by Barstool and add a P5 matchup after the game? Are you kidding me that we wouldn't sell out?
Quinnipiac
Providence
George Mason
Dayton
La Salle
UMass
Davidson
There's zero excuses for that lack of attendance. It's a suckbag program that doesn't belong in the A10 now that Porter Moser is gone and their 15 minutes of fame are over

“Make it promoted by Barstool” lol you must not be so in tuned with Barstool and how they do business. You make it sound like it’d be easy to have them host a doubleheader.

They also host the Arizona Bowl for college football as they do business out there as well, mainly golf.
I assume what RR2 means is that beyond the #10 team if you add a massive promo partner like Barstool behind the event it would further drive attendance. I don't think he was saying Barstool would be promoting a game in Kingston.

Also where Barstool is headquartered isn't driving their decision making...does ESPN only sponsor events in CT? They are trying to evolve into a media company from a publisher bc publishing is a dying biz and they will do more of these types of events they can own and sell advertising around moving fwd and I doubt it will be limited to where their offices are.
Don’t know if it was serious or not, but Portnoy tweeted out last night there will be no more Barstool Invitational going forward.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago Thank you. I felt it was pretty obvious what I meant, but we know how Rhody15 can get with reading comprehension...
You are such a hack.

The reading comprehension thing is absolutely hilarious, one person says something years ago and people latch on. Can’t read, PC fan, and I’m Rhody Vault. Tremendous.

You didn’t say make it promoted by a big entity like BAR said, you said promoted by barstool.

Just latching onto his post to try and take a jab at me.

If you meant a big entity, you would’ve said that.
Because last night's Loyola game was promoted by Barstool. Try to keep up
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

And you want to know why I started the whole reading comprehension thing with you? Because you're so busy trying to dunk on people you miss obvious points and statements so you make yourself sound like you can't read at a second grade level. Maybe if you tried responding to posts instead trying to dunk on people you'd sound almost as smart to the rest of us as you feel about yourself
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If you thought that the attendance (5,361 for the doubleheader) for Loyola at a neutral site miles off its campus was bad, look to the numbers in the same building the night before. DePaul drew just 2,940 to its own home court for a game versus Purdue-Fort Wayne at the 10,387 seat capacity WinTrust Arena on Tuesday, November 7th. Making matters worse, the Blue Demons of the vaunted Big East lost 82-74.

Corrected DePaul opponent
Last edited by RF1 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago And UNLV is gonna ruin my parlay getting destroyed by freaking southern 😒 😑 😤
UNLV was a fun team to watch back in the day when Tark the Shark was running the show. Not so much anymore.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 5 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago And UNLV is gonna ruin my parlay getting destroyed by freaking southern 😒 😑 😤
UNLV was a fun team to watch back in the day when Tark the Shark was running the show. Not so much anymore.
They're on my shitlist for the rest of the year.

Southern just looked way better. *sigh* Vegas only got the spread wrong by 35 points...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote: 5 months ago If you thought that the attendance (5,361 for the doubleheader) for Loyola at a neutral site miles off its campus was bad, look to the numbers in the same building the night before. DePaul drew just 2,940 to its own home court for a game versus IUPUI at the 10,387 seat capacity WinTrust Arena on Tuesday, November 7th. Making matters worse, the Blue Demons of the vaunted Big East lost 82-74.
Actually DePaul lost to Purdue Fort Wayne not IUPUI. Both Teams play in the Horizon League. Still a bad loss at home for DePaul. Why the Big East keeps DePaul is a mystery. Somebody has pictures.

IUPUI beat Spalding And our own Abdou Samb scored 10 points in 22 minutes off the bench.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 5 months ago
RF1 wrote: 5 months ago If you thought that the attendance (5,361 for the doubleheader) for Loyola at a neutral site miles off its campus was bad, look to the numbers in the same building the night before. DePaul drew just 2,940 to its own home court for a game versus IUPUI at the 10,387 seat capacity WinTrust Arena on Tuesday, November 7th. Making matters worse, the Blue Demons of the vaunted Big East lost 82-74.
Actually DePaul lost to Purdue Fort Wayne not IUPUI. Both Teams play in the Horizon League. Still a bad loss at home for DePaul. Why the Big East keeps DePaul is a mystery. Somebody has pictures.

IUPUI beat Spalding And our own Abdou Samb scored 10 points in 22 minutes off the bench.
What's even more of a mystery is how they continue to suck so bad. You'd think they'd have some good years sprinkled in there lately. Since their last NCAA appearance they made the NIT in 06/07 (beat us that year lol we play the one decent DePaul team in 20 years) then they were CBI runners up in 18-19. Can't get out of their own way.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

DePaul's misfortune is that Ray Meyer is not coming through that door again.

1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Friday, November 10, 2023
A10 games of special interest tomorrow.

Charleston vs Duquesne, Annapolis Md 7:00 CBSSN
Maryland vs Davidson, Asheville NC 7:00 ESPNU
Dayton @ Northwestern 8:30 BTN

Drove up to URI for tonight and tomorrow's WBB game, very excited.
Go Rhody.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Quinnipiac
Providence
George Mason
Dayton
La Salle
UMass
Davidson

To add to Loyola's suck bag performance and attendance - Loyola is a bigger school than URI. They enrolled over 16k last year. URI 13k.

If URI played #10 FAU at the AMP last night it sells out. Nevermind the Ryan Center.

To be in a major city playing a top 10 team that was a Final Four participant with the same exact roster...that's shameful you couldn't even fill half the arena. Nevermind the fact that a chunk of that number is the ASU/Miss State fans who made the trip.

It's just another point in the argument that Loyola was a TERRIBLE add for the A10 and they will continue to be irrelevant.

I will continue to fade them and make money until Vegas catches on to their suck.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Blueman
I think you got the enrollments mixed up. Uri has about 14K undergrads and a total enrollment of 17k. Loyola has 12K undergrads and about 17k total. About the same size schools.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

The RC sold out with #23 Nebraska and we weren’t world beaters then (post tourney runs) .A number #10 team would sell out fast.
2 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

theblueram wrote: 5 months ago Blueman
I think you got the enrollments mixed up. Uri has about 14K undergrads and a total enrollment of 17k. Loyola has 12K undergrads and about 17k total. About the same size schools.
Potentially true lol. Did a quick google search. They're shitty regardless. Hate them.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 months ago The RC sold out with #23 Nebraska and we weren’t world beaters then (post tourney runs) .A number #10 team would sell out fast.
Yup. And that Nebraska team was coming off a one and one the year before, not a Final Four
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 5 months ago The RC sold out with #23 Nebraska and we weren’t world beaters then (post tourney runs) .A number #10 team would sell out fast.
Yup. And that Nebraska team was coming off a one and one the year before, not a Final Four
... we also had Hurley and everyone was hoping for an upset.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago
theblueram wrote: 5 months ago Blueman
Potentially true lol. Did a quick google search. They're shitty regardless. Hate them.
How dare you be mean to those poor kids!!!
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Kent State / James Madison is such a fun game. 109-106 JMU in double-OT currently.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jersey77 wrote: 5 months ago Friday, November 10, 2023

Go Rhody.
Good for you! Way to "fan", I hope you have a great time up here.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 5 months ago Friday, November 10, 2023

Go Rhody.
Good for you! Way to "fan", I hope you have a great time up here.
Thanks, always enjoy our time up here.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Charleston favored by 1 against Duquesne today on a neutral court. 6pm CBS Sports Network. Going to have my eye on this one. Will be interesting to see how they match up. Frankie Policelli is pretty damn good for Charleston (ex-Dayton Flyer a few years back).
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

adam914 wrote: 5 months ago Charleston favored by 1 against Duquesne today on a neutral court. 6pm CBS Sports Network. Going to have my eye on this one. Will be interesting to see how they match up. Frankie Policelli is pretty damn good for Charleston (ex-Dayton Flyer a few years back).
Pretty sure Dan recruited him (Policelli) while at URI. That’s how long he’s been in school.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote: 5 months ago Charleston favored by 1 against Duquesne today on a neutral court. 6pm CBS Sports Network. Going to have my eye on this one. Will be interesting to see how they match up. Frankie Policelli is pretty damn good for Charleston (ex-Dayton Flyer a few years back).
Pretty sure Dan recruited him (Policelli) while at URI. That’s how long he’s been in school.
I didn't remember that! I remembered him from the past but assumed it was just the Dayton connection.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In a game between future URI OOC opponent. Charleston, and Duquesne in the Veterans Classic in Annapolis, Duquesne lead 25-14 at the midpoint of first half. Game is being televised by CBS Sports Network.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Duquesne looked pretty good. Nice win over Charleston.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Impressive road win by Duquesne over Charleston, 90-72!
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Nice! Good conference win. The Duq’s did their job boosting the conference tonight.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

The Davidson-Maryland game is pretty good. Hopefully Davidson can finally make some noise OOC for a change.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

double header! Dayton/Northwestern, Davidson/Maryland!
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Davidson up 5 with about just over 7 left.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

theblueram wrote: 5 months ago The Davidson-Maryland game is pretty good. Hopefully Davidson can finally make some noise OOC for a change.
That would be good, but until the OOC schedule is over, there's always the chance they could "pull a Davidson"
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 months ago
theblueram wrote: 5 months ago The Davidson-Maryland game is pretty good. Hopefully Davidson can finally make some noise OOC for a change.
That would be good, but until the OOC schedule is over, there's always the chance they could "pull a Davidson"
True dat!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Davidson down to the wire!!!!! Up 3.
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Dayton hanging in there! 23-24
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Davidson looks like they beat the odds and won. Good win for the A10.
2 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Great win for the A10.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

What a night for the A10.
1 x
GO RAMS
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Davidson beats Maryland. Real good win for Davidson Another good conference win.

That said, I have to say that Davidson doesn’t scare me. They look fundamentally sound, can shoot the 3 and aren’t sloppy with the ball but I think we can beat them at home.

ETA: Oops, just checked the schedule quickly and saw we don’t play Davidson home this season so that will make it a tougher game. But, screw it, I still think we can beat them.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

A10 is having a good night. Let's see how Dayton can recover.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Let's go Dayton!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow Atlantic 10 may sweep the board !
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Example 2 and talking about the State Farm Tipoff don't count for Chicago drawing for basketball, that's literally other fanbases filling the venue, not Chicago sports fans. That would be like saying Boston can draw in college hoops because the TD Garden sells out for NCAA games.

The fact that Loyola couldn't sell out an arena 10 miles from campus against the number 10 team in the country as part of a doubleheader shows they're not a serious basketball school and were a terrible add for this conference. Anyone still sticking up for them is a Loyola fan, stupid, or is trolling.

And now that I see the 5361 attendance, Loyola's "fanbase" couldn't even sell out the Ryan Center. Embarrassing program, embarrassing addition
Do you actually think we would sell out the Ryan Center if #10 FAU came? We wouldn't.

Final Four, #10 ranking is cool and all to the hardcore fans, but people will see "Florida Atlantic" and simply not come.
Quinnipiac
Providence
George Mason
Dayton
La Salle
UMass
Davidson
There is zero doubt that we wouldn’t sell out for Florida Atlantic? Lol. No chance we would sell out playing them this early in the season after how we looked last year. There are very rare instances of sellouts that involve either PC, a team like Dayton with Toppin or great teams with Hurley. Even the Hurley teams that were in the Top 15 didn’t sellout a lot of the games. It will take URI to be undefeated and having won at Pc to generate crowds near a sellout. It is just the way it has always been.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RamStock wrote: 5 months ago

Quinnipiac
Providence
George Mason
Dayton
La Salle
UMass
Davidson
There is zero doubt that we wouldn’t sell out for Florida Atlantic? Lol. No chance we would sell out playing them this early in the season after how we looked last year. There are very rare instances of sellouts that involve either PC, a team like Dayton with Toppin or great teams with Hurley. Even the Hurley teams that were in the Top 15 didn’t sellout a lot of the games. It will take URI to be undefeated and having won at Pc to generate crowds near a sellout. It is just the way it has always been.
Definitely agree we wouldn’t sell out v FAU right now , our attendance first 2 games was trash , the crowd would definitely be bigger maybe 5500 or so but I would doubt we get over 7 k for them
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Quinnipiac
Providence
George Mason
Dayton
La Salle
UMass
Davidson
Yeah, and what do you think a Final Four team ranked 10th coming to the Ryan Center is? A rare instance that would generate a sellout no matter how good or bad URI is.

Zero doubt
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Quinnipiac
Providence
George Mason
Dayton
La Salle
UMass
Davidson
Yeah, and what do you think a Final Four team ranked 10th coming to the Ryan Center is? A rare instance that would generate a sellout no matter how good or bad URI is.

Zero doubt
I guess you don’t go to many of the games at the Ryan Center. If the team isn’t competitive there is little chance of a sellout outside of PC, Duke, Kentucky, etc. The casual fan has no idea who Florida Atlantic is. The team looks to be much improved over last year, but it will take a big turnaround to come close to selling out the Ryan Center. The teams coached by Hurley his last few years had some strong crowds, but even senior night against St.Joes had empty seats. It is just the reality of basketball at URI. You need the perfect storm of a winning team with NCAA hopes and a strong known team coming in.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Don't think anyone mentioned Yale last night

They were giving Gonzaga the business for most of the first half. They are going to give us hell.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago Don't think anyone mentioned Yale last night

They were giving Gonzaga the business for most of the first half. They are going to give us hell.
Zags covered the 11.5 win by 15

Agree that’s a tough game for us
0 x