Games of Interest - 2023-2024 MBB

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Games of Interest - Week 1

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 5 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago

I agree PRT, FAU is loaded this season.
They have experience, talent, and depth, what is there not to like?

Just looking at both teams, Loyola/Chicago will be lucky to even keep this game close.
Vegas is rarely wrong and if they are not by much so I would expect this game plays pretty close.

In terms of FAU there is a tendency to overhype Cinderella teams the following season. A lot went right for FAU last year people forget they nearly lost their first game in tourney. I don’t see them repeating what they did last year. Top 35-40 sure but they aren’t a Top 10 team this year (where they have been ranked by some in preseason).
You never know BAR.
FAU had a great year, they won 35 games while going 18-2 in C-USA and winning the regular season and the conference championship.
They beat a lot of quality teams in the NCAAT and only lost by 1 point in the Final Four.
They are no joke and won't catch anyone by surprise this season.

If Loyola/Chicago gives them a good game, to me it says more about Loyola being better than most here think, which is good for the A10.
Is Alijah Martin of FAU playing??
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

reef wrote: 5 months ago

Vegas is rarely wrong and if they are not by much so I would expect this game plays pretty close.

In terms of FAU there is a tendency to overhype Cinderella teams the following season. A lot went right for FAU last year people forget they nearly lost their first game in tourney. I don’t see them repeating what they did last year. Top 35-40 sure but they aren’t a Top 10 team this year (where they have been ranked by some in preseason).
You never know BAR.
FAU had a great year, they won 35 games while going 18-2 in C-USA and winning the regular season and the conference championship.
They beat a lot of quality teams in the NCAAT and only lost by 1 point in the Final Four.

If Loyola/Chicago gives them a good game, to me it says more about Loyola being better than most here think, which is good for the A10.
He did participate in this afternoon's shoot-around.
Last edited by Jersey77 5 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyKyle wrote: 5 months ago

I agree PRT, FAU is loaded this season.
They have experience, talent, and depth, what is there not to like?

Just looking at both teams, Loyola/Chicago will be lucky to even keep this game close.

I don't know - last year during the season I recall pundits saying during the season people were too distracted with Charleston and their win streak but that FAU was the real top mid-major. FAU is a legit top-20 team at least.
FAU is #10 AP and #9 Coaches Poll. If Loyola Beats FAU tonight then credit to Loyola AND to the A10.
Credit to FAU for playing Loyola. And credit to Loyola for scheduling FAU.

Kinda sounding like if Loyola beats 9th Ranked FAU then FAU wasn't that good anyway, they were overrated.

Here the A10 gets a chance at a solid win to boost the A10 NET and we downplay the opponent before the game is even played.

If Loyola wins tonight then that is an excellent win against a Top 10 Ranked Team. Great for the Conference even if Loyola was 15th in the A10 last year. Wish it was URI playing FAU tonight.

And credit to both schools making this their 1st game of the season. Gutsy!
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

ramster wrote: 5 months ago
RhodyKyle wrote: 5 months ago

I don't know - last year during the season I recall pundits saying during the season people were too distracted with Charleston and their win streak but that FAU was the real top mid-major. FAU is a legit top-20 team at least.
FAU is #10 AP and #9 Coaches Poll. If Loyola Beats FAU tonight then credit to Loyola AND to the A10.
Credit to FAU for playing Loyola. And credit to Loyola for scheduling FAU.

Kinda sounding like if Loyola beats 9th Ranked FAU then FAU wasn't that good anyway, they were overrated.

Here the A10 gets a chance at a solid win to boost the A10 NET and we downplay the opponent before the game is even played.

If Loyola wins tonight then that is an excellent win against a Top 10 Ranked Team. Great for the Conference even if Loyola was 15th in the A10 last year. Wish it was URI playing FAU tonight.

And credit to both schools making this their 1st game of the season. Gutsy!
Totally agree. If Loyola wins it means to prove the experts right to rank them as high as they did in those various metrics sites and in the preseason polls - it does not mean FAU is a bad team that is overrated.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Games of Interest - 2023-2024 MBB

Unread post by theblueram »

These are wins the A10 needs. As much as I have been down on Loyola, this would be a great win for the A10. The conference needs these wins. I want every A10 team to win in OOC. Everyone should.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 5 months ago These are wins the A10 needs. As much as I have been down on Loyola, this would be a great win for the A10. The conference needs these wins. I want every A10 team to win in OOC. Everyone should.
Thank you, absolutely.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

reef wrote: 5 months ago

You never know BAR.

He did participate in this afternoon's shoot-around.
Thanks Jersey
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I see on FAU site to watch the game, it's got a link to Barstool Sports. Anyone use this before?
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Martin will be playing for FAU
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

PeterRamTime wrote: 5 months ago
Obadiah wrote: 5 months ago With both La Salle and UMass winning their home openers tonight, the A-10 goes 13-1 with only Loyola Chicago yet to open its season. The Ramblers do that tomorrow night as they host #10 Florida Atlantic.
VCU of all teams decides to lay an egg.

That loss could very easily ruin any shot they have at an at-large.
Considering VCU plays Memphis, Temple, Iowa State, Boise St/Va. Tech, and then another game in Orlando against (Florida Atlantic, Penn State, Texas A&M, Butler)...I think your statement from a game #1 loss might be a little of an over-reaction.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 5 months ago
Obadiah wrote: 5 months ago With both La Salle and UMass winning their home openers tonight, the A-10 goes 13-1 with only Loyola Chicago yet to open its season. The Ramblers do that tomorrow night as they host #10 Florida Atlantic.

Considering VCU plays Memphis, Temple, Iowa State, Boise St/Va. Tech, and then another game in Orlando against (Florida Atlantic, Penn State, Texas A&M, Butler)...I think your statement from a game #1 loss might be a little of an over-reaction.
Doubt it. Their margin for error is extremely thin now. VCU and Dayton have dropped a lot of games like this early in the year to find themselves In a position where they need to win the A-10 to get a bid.

Now VCU has to cash in on their marquee games and can't really afford to slip up again.

Now McNeese could end up being really good. Otherwise it's likely going to hurt a lot.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 5 months ago I see on FAU site to watch the game, it's got a link to Barstool Sports. Anyone use this before?
I just clicked on the "watch" button on the schedule and barstool sports live popped up. Like on loyola's schedule it has the game on there and you can either click listen, live stats, watch etc. I think its free.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Doubt it. Their margin for error is extremely thin now. VCU and Dayton have dropped a lot of games like this early in the year to find themselves In a position where they need to win the A-10 to get a bid.

Now VCU has to cash in on their marquee games and can't really afford to slip up again.

Now McNeese could end up being really good. Otherwise it's likely going to hurt a lot.
Will Wade is the HC for McNeese State. Past HC at VCU, LSU

https://www.southland.org/news/2023/10/ ... unced.aspx
Last edited by ramster 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I'm also totally prepared for the reality that I've just caused myself with my certainty that FAU will win this game by 7+.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

2 minutes in and the announcers are saying Loyola looks horrible.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 5 months ago Many good points on FAU all around. It maybe cliche’ but I suspect they aren’t as good as top 10 and not as low as 25 so, they are probably somewhere in between.

Don’t forget also that they are the hunted this season vs being the hunter. They won’t sneak up on anyone; teams will be psyched to take them down.

Good stuff.
I'd wager a 6 pack on them outside the top 25...and probably before conference play starts
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Could you ever imagine the #10 team coming to the RC and it wasn't a sellout????? Loyola arena is empty. What is up with that???????
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 5 months ago Could you ever imagine the #10 team coming to the RC and it wasn't a sellout????? Loyola arena is empty. What is up with that???????
It isn't their home court, not considered a home game (Barstool Tournament), they are playing at the Wintrust Arena (DePaul).
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 5 months ago Could you ever imagine the #10 team coming to the RC and it wasn't a sellout????? Loyola arena is empty. What is up with that???????
It isn't a home game, they are playing at the Wintrust Arena (DePaul).
What's that like, 6 miles away from campus?
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

It isn't their home court, not considered a home game (Barstool Tournament), they are playing at the Wintrust Arena (DePaul).
Wintrust Arena is 10 miles from Loyola.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

All that matters is the announced attendance ;)
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 months ago
It just wasn't considered a home game, played in a much bigger venue followed by the Arizona State/Miss, State game.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

It just wasn't considered a home game, played in a much bigger venue followed by the Arizona State/Miss, State game.
OK...so 10 miles away and part of a P5 doubleheader. No wonder no one went.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

OK...so 10 miles away and part of a P5 doubleheader. No wonder no one went.
All I did was respond and make the correction that it wasn't at Loyola's home arena and not considered a home game for them.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Loyola getting beat pretty bad.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

College basketball just does not draw in Chicago I guess. Looked like DePaul had about two hundred fifty people last night. Of course it's a pretty poor product as usual with them.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Lmao Loyola.

Would I have loved a top 10 win for the A10? Of course.

Will I laugh about the fact that battleaxe Bernadette, random shitty pundits, and a few posters thought Loyola would be good? Of course.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago Lmao Loyola.

Will I laugh about the fact that battleaxe Bernadette, random shitty pundits, and a few posters thought Loyola would be good? Of course.
Laughter is the best medicine...
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

FYI it’s free on YouTube. The barstool presentation is very entertaining
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago

FYI it’s free on YouTube. The barstool presentation is very entertaining
It is! Thanks! Looks like a few people showed up, too

LOL!...

Announcer 1: Looks like we got a ball game
Announcer 2: I don't think so
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Wish I started shit talking after the game for my wallets sake.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

To be fair, if #10 FAU came to Kingston I doubt it would even sell out.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Barstool has way better commercials, too

LOL..."got an injury"..."nah, the way he's flopping around, he looks fine"
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 5 months ago
Well, if barstool was doing the game, I'd have to consider staying home to watch it...these guys are very entertaining

"I want scrubs out there jakkin 3s"
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

woodennickel1 wrote: 5 months ago College basketball just does not draw in Chicago I guess. Looked like DePaul had about two hundred fifty people last night. Of course it's a pretty poor product as usual with them.
Why do you keep that team in the Big East? They drag down the conference
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Well, if barstool was doing the game, I'd have to consider staying home to watch it...these guys are very entertaining

"I want scrubs out there jakkin 3s"
I was thinking the same thing, they are pretty good.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago Lmao Loyola.

Bernadette is busy looking to add that 16th team. Can't wait for that announcement
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Loyola is not good. At all. Poorly coached. Bad sets. Adelekun is a player though.

#2 in the A10 hahahahaha
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago Loyola is not good. At all. Poorly coached. Bad sets. Adelekun is a player though.

#2 in the A10 hahahahaha
And ranked #3 in A10 by Ken Pom who some consider very knowledgeable?

How can Loyola go from 15th and last place last season to 3rd place prediction by Ken Pom? He needs to tweak something.
IMG_0638.png
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 5 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 5 months ago Loyola is not good. At all. Poorly coached. Bad sets. Adelekun is a player though.

#2 in the A10 hahahahaha
And ranked #3 in A10 by Ken Pom who some consider very knowledgeable?

How can Loyola go from 15th and last place last season to 3rd place prediction by Ken Pom? He needs to tweak something.

IMG_0638.png
Loyola still has to play another top 10 team in 2 weeks, Creighton.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

And UNLV is gonna ruin my parlay getting destroyed by freaking southern 😒 😑 😤
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

woodennickel1 wrote: 5 months ago College basketball just does not draw in Chicago I guess. Looked like DePaul had about two hundred fifty people last night. Of course it's a pretty poor product as usual with them.
Yes and no. Chicago, like Boston, is a pro sports town. However, college hoops can and has drawn in Chicago. You've got to look at the product:

1. When Illinois is/was good and played in Chicago, they draw.
2. When the Big Ten tournament is in Chicago, it draws.
3. Once upon a time, when DePaul was good in the 80's and a little bit in the 90's...they drew, although they played at the old Rosemont Horizon.

Getting to Wintrust Arena in Chicago on a Wednesday night to watch teams with minimal drawing power, battle awful traffic, and have tickets overpriced, people will not come. However, they have consistently filled the United Center for those annual Duke, KU, UK, and Michigan State "State Farm Tipoff" games.

DePaul stinks and Loyola has a small but loyal fan base.
2 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In the second game of the doubleheader in the Barstool Sports Invitational in Chicago, Mississippi State comfortably beat Arizona State, 71-56. Last season the Bulldogs were the worst team in D1 in three point shooting, but hit on 38% of their treys in the game in which they were without their two top scorers. They will be a handful if URI meets them at Mohegan later this month.

Announced attendance for the doubleheader was 5,361, about 50% of capacity.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Yes and no. Chicago, like Boston, is a pro sports town. However, college hoops can and has drawn in Chicago. You've got to look at the product:

3. Once upon a time, when DePaul was good in the 80's and a little bit in the 90's...they drew, although they played at the old Rosemont Horizon.

Getting to Wintrust Arena in Chicago on a Wednesday night to watch teams with minimal drawing power, battle awful traffic, and have tickets overpriced, people will not come. However, they have consistently filled the United Center for those annual Duke, KU, UK, and Michigan State "State Farm Tipoff" games.

Example 2 and talking about the State Farm Tipoff don't count for Chicago drawing for basketball, that's literally other fanbases filling the venue, not Chicago sports fans. That would be like saying Boston can draw in college hoops because the TD Garden sells out for NCAA games.

The fact that Loyola couldn't sell out an arena 10 miles from campus against the number 10 team in the country as part of a doubleheader shows they're not a serious basketball school and were a terrible add for this conference. Anyone still sticking up for them is a Loyola fan, stupid, or is trolling.

And now that I see the 5361 attendance, Loyola's "fanbase" couldn't even sell out the Ryan Center. Embarrassing program, embarrassing addition
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago

Example 2 and talking about the State Farm Tipoff don't count for Chicago drawing for basketball, that's literally other fanbases filling the venue, not Chicago sports fans. That would be like saying Boston can draw in college hoops because the TD Garden sells out for NCAA games.

The fact that Loyola couldn't sell out an arena 10 miles from campus against the number 10 team in the country as part of a doubleheader shows they're not a serious basketball school and were a terrible add for this conference. Anyone still sticking up for them is a Loyola fan, stupid, or is trolling.

And now that I see the 5361 attendance, Loyola's "fanbase" couldn't even sell out the Ryan Center. Embarrassing program, embarrassing addition
Do you actually think we would sell out the Ryan Center if #10 FAU came? We wouldn't.

Final Four, #10 ranking is cool and all to the hardcore fans, but people will see "Florida Atlantic" and simply not come.
0 x
Go Rhody
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In an unusual experience, 14 of 15 A-10 teams opened their seasons with home games with the lone exception being Loyola Chicago who played their opener at a neutral site in Chicago as part of a early season invitational. The conference went 13-2 in openers and the two losses were Loyola losing to Florida Atlantic and VCU which fell to McNeese.

Here is an attendance profile of the A-10 home openers. First a word about why we talk so much about attendance and why it is important. Obviously, large attendance provides critical funds to support the basketball program and increased demand allows a rise in ticket prices. Big crowds with a sizable student presence provides the exciting gameday environment which entertains and is the scene the media desires. Also, a strong and large fan base supports a strong travelling fan base, an important factor to the media and those engaged in organizing early season tournaments.

This season’s URI opening crowd of 4,118 was in upper half of A-10, but it was the smallest URI home opener since the 2011 Hofstra game which attracted 3,220. It was the third smallest crowd in the 22-year history of the Ryan Center.

(An interesting side note on McNeese, winner over VCU. URI played McNeese in an early season tournament game at the Ryan Center in 2013. The game was unusual since it was not included in the season ticket package and as a result the game drew 858 fans, the smallest crowd for any game in Ryan history.)

Attendance at A-10 Home Openers Ranked by Size

School	                Opponent   	          Attendance

Dayton	          Beat SIU Edwardsville, 63-47	     13,407
VCU	          Lost to Mc Neese, 65-76	      7,637
Richmond	  Beat VMI, 93-75	              5,176
Saint Louis	  Beat Southern Indiana, 75-63	      4,989
URI	          Beat Central Connecticut, 81-70     4,118
St. Bonaventure	  Beat Longwood, 73-69	              3,577
George Mason	  Beat Monmouth, 72-61	              3,145
UMass	          Beat Albany, 92-71 	              3,015
Davidson  	  Beat Washington & Lee, 86-63	      2,404
Duquesne  	  Beat Cleveland State, 79-77	      2,364
GW 	          Beat Stonehill, 89-44	              2,303
Saint Joseph’s	  Beat Lafayette, 81-60	              1,793
La Salle	  Beat Drexel, 67-61	              1,641
Fordham	          Beat Wagner, 68-64 OT	              1,437
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Do you actually think we would sell out the Ryan Center if #10 FAU came? We wouldn't.

Final Four, #10 ranking is cool and all to the hardcore fans, but people will see "Florida Atlantic" and simply not come.
We sold out for #21 Nebraska.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It’s impossible to say but I would guess 6-7k and we would come pretty close to a sell out for the #10 ranked team no matter who it was.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

1. We would absolutely sell out for a team that made the FInal Four and was ranked #10 in the country. There's zero doubt.
2. Make it promoted by Barstool and add a P5 matchup after the game? Are you kidding me that we wouldn't sell out?
3. They only drew 5361 people. Against a FInal Four team ranked #10.
Here's who we drew more than that against last year:
Quinnipiac
Providence
George Mason
Dayton
La Salle
UMass
Davidson
There's zero excuses for that lack of attendance. It's a suckbag program that doesn't belong in the A10 now that Porter Moser is gone and their 15 minutes of fame are over
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

1. We would absolutely sell out for a team that made the FInal Four and was ranked #10 in the country. There's zero doubt.
2. Make it promoted by Barstool and add a P5 matchup after the game? Are you kidding me that we wouldn't sell out?
3. They only drew 5361 people. Against a FInal Four team ranked #10.
Here's who we drew more than that against last year:
Quinnipiac
Providence
George Mason
Dayton
La Salle
UMass
Davidson
There's zero excuses for that lack of attendance. It's a suckbag program that doesn't belong in the A10 now that Porter Moser is gone and their 15 minutes of fame are over

“Make it promoted by Barstool” lol you must not be so in tuned with Barstool and how they do business. You make it sound like it’d be easy to have them host a doubleheader.

Barstool is based in NYC and Chicago, they’re not hosting games in Kingston RI.

They also host the Arizona Bowl for college football as they do business out there as well, mainly golf.
0 x
Go Rhody