Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Ryan Center In-Game Experience - Issues and Upgrades

Unread post by section(105) »

Thorr, nor anyone else responded to me polite email regarding Dan Yorke, I would expect more crickets on this issue.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Yeah, they probably won't find out anything. Instead of them constantly complaining on here or expecting someone else to ask though, they can send the email
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

email sent...

i will let you know if i get a response...
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 6 months ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 6 months ago it is literally the dumbest press area/penthouse I have ever seen

As if our press coverage is so large that we need our own zip code for the real estate that is given

Wake up Thor my goodness

Stupid
Stupid
Stupid
Picture from last night just for you ECR

Look at all the empty seats in the press area/penthouse

It's ugly, it's much bigger than necessary.
Never seen this set up in any basketball arena

Note the godfather sits front row but behind the press penthouse

IMG_0664.jpeg
BTW, that's John Carroll sitting at the table with Steve and Chris behind the Bank RI sign. I saw him come in in a wheelchair.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 6 months ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 6 months ago it is literally the dumbest press area/penthouse I have ever seen

As if our press coverage is so large that we need our own zip code for the real estate that is given

Wake up Thor my goodness

Stupid
Stupid
Stupid
Picture from last night just for you ECR

Look at all the empty seats in the press area/penthouse

It's ugly, it's much bigger than necessary.
Never seen this set up in any basketball arena

Note the godfather sits front row but behind the press penthouse

IMG_0664.jpeg
BTW, that's John Carroll sitting at the table with Steve and Chris behind the Bank RI sign. I saw him come in in a wheelchair.
He sat in that same place last season too. Last year he walked in very slowly. Nice place for him to sit across from the URI bench. Great guy, loaded with basketball knowledge.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

I guess we will agree to disagree..

I do appreciate him getting back to me at least....

black shower curtain lives.... ugh...

Good morning,

Thanks for the note. We have actually reduced our on the floor press row seating a couple years ago to add more court side seats. Our on floor press row seats are really at a minimum. The second row seats are also at a minimum. We always look at new opportunities to provide a better fan seating experience but feel as it relates to press row, we are in a good place,

Thanks again for the thoughts. It is greatly appreciated.

All the best,

Thorr
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Can someone write Thorr about the broadcast issue...I believe he has heard it from me enough.

Watching our team and listening to those kids last season was a brutal form of punishment I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 6 months ago The long blue balloon chain passed around the arena was fun activity, No?
Thinking about this some more, this was basically just the G rated, lame version of a beer snake then right? Definitely don't expect me to pass it along and keep it out of my line of sight, I'm too busy watching the game for bullshit like this
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago
section(105) wrote: 6 months ago The long blue balloon chain passed around the arena was fun activity, No?
Thinking about this some more, this was basically just the G rated, lame version of a beer snake then right? Definitely don't expect me to pass it along and keep it out of my line of sight, I'm too busy watching the game for bullshit like this
Wouldn’t say it was fun, didn’t think it was “bullshit” either.

It was whatever, took about 45 seconds of real time to pass it along, didn’t get in my game vision.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

This board is buzzing! Just catching up on all the posts. Excellent basketball posts…..and curtain talk too. :lol:

It’s great having the season underway!
Last edited by Jdrums#3 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 6 months ago

It was whatever, took about 45 seconds of real time to pass it along, didn’t get in my game vision.
I view it as bullshit because it takes some thing other fanbases do organically, boils it completely down, then shits it out in the most G rated, sanitized, uninspired version of the original thing. There really isn't anything particularly interesting or compelling about our game presentation
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

02.... doesn't have that kind of time! It was kinda cool/different, I hope they do it again and it somehow crosses levels.....
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I view it as bullshit because it takes some thing other fanbases do organically, boils it completely down, then shits it out in the most G rated, sanitized, uninspired version of the original thing. There really isn't anything particularly interesting or compelling about our game presentation
OUR game presentation? I think there were more students than fans. I think this was student inspired tbh. If it was an organized URI game presentation, I'll need some official confirmation on that. Thought it was great. The students that attended looked like they had a great time.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote: 6 months ago

OUR game presentation? I think there were more students than fans. I think this was student inspired tbh. If it was an organized URI game presentation, I'll need some official confirmation on that. Thought it was great. The students that attended looked like they had a great time.
and hopefully, they tell all their friends that, not everyone is a buzzkill
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yup, definitely was student started.

Don’t know how something as simple as the balloons could fire someone up this much, Rhowdy. No need to get so upset at this.
0 x
Go Rhody
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I thought it was cool. As I sit behind the visitors bench, with mostly visiting team fans, they were also loving it.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I'm pretty fed up with the Varsity Ap post game show. The audio is awful, many times I cannot hear he questions...sometimes I cannot hear the players. With that media room, it should be an easy fix.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I thought the students that came were great. Enthusiastic, innovative and it seemed they had a great time. Plus a big win to boot with many highlight reels of dunks, alley oops and a great showing by URI. That word will spread. Hope we have twice as many students next game and they send 10 times more balloon chains around the RC. Let's get this thing rolling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

theblueram wrote: 6 months ago I thought the students that came were great. Enthusiastic, innovative and it seemed they had a great time. Plus a big win to boot with many highlight reels of dunks, alley oops and a great showing by URI. That word will spread. Hope we have twice as many students next game and they send 10 times more balloon chains around the RC. Let's get this thing rolling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Win and they will come
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 6 months ago
theblueram wrote: 6 months ago I thought the students that came were great. Enthusiastic, innovative and it seemed they had a great time. Plus a big win to boot with many highlight reels of dunks, alley oops and a great showing by URI. That word will spread. Hope we have twice as many students next game and they send 10 times more balloon chains around the RC. Let's get this thing rolling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Win and they will come
Well we sucked last year, and the students showed not too bad. But the win should improve attendance. They posted 4100, I would guess 1500 actual. Half were students.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Win and they will come
Well we sucked last year, and the students showed not too bad. But the win should improve attendance. They posted 4100, I would guess 1500 actual. Half were students.
I think it was more than that, probably approaching 3k. Upper levels were pretty empty minus student end-zone. But the 200s and 100s weren't bad, especially the season ticket holders on the sides.

I feel like I need to buy a light blue sweater if I am going to sit in the season ticket holder seats. Is there an age requirement?
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Win and they will come
Missed opportunity...Pretty sure that, if you include the 4,100 reported, plus filled all the empty seats....could have approached 10K. Place is way bigger than I thought.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 6 months ago

Win and they will come
Missed opportunity...Pretty sure that, if you include the 4,100 reported, plus filled all the empty seats....could have approached 10K. Place is way bigger than I thought.
Theblueram,
1,500 actual might be a bit low I'd guess 2000.
Easy concessions, easy parking, easy leaving the parking lot
Empty seat areas in the 200 level seems to indicate season ticket renewals are down. That's where the revenue is.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Win and they will come
There is absolutely no way there was only 1500 Actual fans at the game Monday. It was way more than that. No need to exaggerate so you can complain. Jesus find another slant. It is getting real annoying every year people complain about the listed attendance. Who cares let it be.

You need new glasses if you actually think it was only 1500 fans in attendance.
4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

You know it's officially Rhody hoops season when the debate about actual vs. listed attendance starts up! It's gotta be the most talked about topic on this board, even more than actual basketball. :lol:
9 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Theblueram,
Empty seat areas in the 200 level seems to indicate season ticket renewals are down. That's where the revenue is.
We have this discussion ever year about great disparity in announced attendance versus fannies in seats. Rather than making wild guesses we should think rationally. First, the announced attendance at any game is comprised of the number of students who show up plus comp tickets and the ticket purchases. So any difference between the announced attendance and the turnstile count is the number of no shows which boils down to the season ticket holder crowd. Breaking down the crowd components further shows the following
1) Students
2) Advanced single game purchases
3) Walk-up crowd
4) Mini packages and full season ticket purchases.

Obviously, students are there and in the turnstile counted. People who buy single game tickets in advance are likely to be there, Walk up crowd is obviously there.That leaves the season ticker crowd as the biggest source of the no shows. Season ticket holders total over 2000. So when you claim the fannies in seats are 1500 or 2000, you are really saying that over half of season ticket holders are not showing up for games and that does not make sense.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote: 6 months ago

Theblueram,
We have this discussion ever year about great disparity in announced attendance versus fannies in seats. Rather than making wild guesses we should think rationally. First, the announced attendance at any game is comprised of the number of students who show up plus comp tickets and the ticket purchases. So any difference between the announced attendance and the turnstile count is the number of no shows which boils down to the season ticket holder crowd. Breaking down the crowd components further shows the following
1) Students
2) Advanced single game purchases
3) Walk-up crowd
4) Mini packages and full season ticket purchases.

Obviously, students are there and in the turnstile counted. People who buy single game tickets in advance are likely to be there, Walk up crowd is obviously there.That leaves the season ticker crowd as the biggest source of the no shows. Season ticket holders total over 2000. So when you claim the fannies in seats are 1500 or 2000, you are really saying that over half of season ticket holders are not showing up for games and that does not make sense.
If announced is 4100 and season ticket holders are 2000 and only 1500 or 2000 are estimated fannies in seats then that means all of season ticket holders did not show up (not half) if all others are sure to be on hand. Agree it doesn't make sense
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I thought this debate was settled science, tickets sold and out the door, whether they are occupied? No?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 6 months ago I thought this debate was settled science, tickets sold and out the door, whether they are occupied? No?
That is not what is being discussed.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I'm not a fan of the press set up - but where else do you put them? I always struggle to keep up with the complaints du jour, because usually we're mad if we don't get press coverage. Now we want to banish the press somewhere else?

I mean - it's not like every game is a sell out, so who's tickets are we taking away? I'm not saying I love that setup, but it's significantly far down the list of complaints.

For me, it's:

WiFi
Replays
Concessions - speed, selection, etc
Entrance process (big games)
Yorke
Weird forced traditions trying to fabricate what PC fans do

And then everything else.

Until we address the minor league experience we put out there, I'll live with the press section.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 6 months ago I'm not a fan of the press set up - but where else do you put them? I always struggle to keep up with the complaints du jour, because usually we're mad if we don't get press coverage. Now we want to banish the press somewhere else?

I mean - it's not like every game is a sell out, so who's tickets are we taking away? I'm not saying I love that setup, but it's significantly far down the list of complaints.

For me, it's:

WiFi
Replays
Yorke

Until we address the minor league experience we put out there, I'll live with the press section.
For all out of state fans/viewers can you please add "TV production" to your list.
On behalf of Adam, Reef and others like me that rely on the stream for games we thank you.
I think it belongs somewhere between replays and concessions in order of importance ;).
6 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

bigappleram wrote: 6 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 6 months ago I'm not a fan of the press set up - but where else do you put them? I always struggle to keep up with the complaints du jour, because usually we're mad if we don't get press coverage. Now we want to banish the press somewhere else?

For me, it's:

WiFi
Replays
Yorke

For all out of state fans/viewers can you please add "TV production" to your list.
On behalf of Adam, Reef and others like me that rely on the stream for games we thank you.
I think it belongs somewhere between replays and concessions in order of importance ;).
Yes, I cosign this! :)
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

For me, it's:

WiFi
Replays
Yorke

But it has nothing to do with the Ryan Center at all, which is what we're discussing here
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

For me, it's:

WiFi
Replays
Yorke

But it has nothing to do with the Ryan Center at all, which is what we're discussing here
It's part of the game experience. Sure I took some creative liberty by inserting in this convo versus starting a whole new thread.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Oh yeah I co-sign it. It’s an embarrassment especially when you have Stone fucking Freeman waiting in the wings available during home games. I get you won’t get disano, but there has to be a better way.

Why can’t radio just do a trade with ESPN and sync that up with the broadcast.

The radio listening numbers have to be in the hundreds during a home game.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Blue Man wrote: 6 months ago Oh yeah I co-sign it. It’s an embarrassment especially when you have Stone fucking Freeman waiting in the wings available during home games. I get you won’t get disano, but there has to be a better way.

It's gotta stop. It's a freaking HIGH SCHOOL level operation with all these socially awkward gen z dweebs falling all over themselves.

Do these kids actually want to get into broadcasting? They all SUCK. Totally talentless and they don't know shit about college basketball and nor do they give a flying shit about URI basketball. It's really an insult to the fanbase. I'd imagine those two prepubescent nutsacks, who didn't know how to pronounce any players name correctly, had never heard of Vienna Austria probably don't even know who Fatts Russell is.

Maybe in the offseason someone can bring this to Archie's attention? Or someone who can make a difference. Will we still be trotting these dweebs out here when we are competiting for championships?

Just sync up DiSano and Steve or put Stone and Abu Bakr on there.
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

For me, it's:

WiFi
Replays
Yorke

where all the other ncaa teams put them

maybe they can give them dove soap and towel while they are beside the shower curtain as a courtesy (?)
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

PeterRamTime wrote: 6 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 6 months ago Oh yeah I co-sign it. It’s an embarrassment especially when you have Stone fucking Freeman waiting in the wings available during home games. I get you won’t get disano, but there has to be a better way.

It's gotta stop. It's a freaking HIGH SCHOOL level operation with all these socially awkward gen z dweebs falling all over themselves.

Do these kids actually want to get into broadcasting? They all SUCK. Totally talentless and they don't know shit about college basketball and nor do they give a flying shit about URI basketball. It's really an insult to the fanbase. I'd imagine those two prepubescent nutsacks, who didn't know how to pronounce any players name correctly, had never heard of Vienna Austria probably don't even know who Fatts Russell is.

Maybe in the offseason someone can bring this to Archie's attention? Or someone who can make a difference. Will we still be trotting these dweebs out here when we are competiting for championships?

I will say - aggressive or not, you're not wrong. TV is a tough business, and the school isn't doing anyone any favors who lacks the talent to progress.

I get it - people can learn, etc. But like a lot of things, you either have it or you don't. There are ranges you can improve, but some of the kids that I've heard on there just flat out don't belong in front of a camera.

Stone is so good and so professional, that the communications school looks at it as - "oh look Stone did it" - but that kid is 1 in a million. We're lucky he loves RI and works there, because that kid should've been snatched up by ESPN. He's a pro. URI is looking at him as a template, instead of recognizing that he's legitimately generational broadcasting talent they were lucky to mold. He's way too modest and respectful to come out and say that it's all him, and he'll give credit to the Harrington school, but you can't make broadcasters. You can mold them, but that's it.

URI has a great studio and great connections - do some closed loop stuff internally and leave the professional broadcasts to the professionals - unless you get lucky and find another Stone Freeman to come to URI.

But if I'm a prospective broadcasting student and I see the URI product, I'm not saying "wow I've gotta go there and learn from them."
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 6 months ago

This is a little harsh and unfair to the students, in my opinion. I don't blame them for jumping at the chance to have this opportunity. I blame the adults in charge for putting them in that situation to begin with.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Yeah I’m much more in Adam’s camp tho especially last season with the on floor product coupled with the broadcast I was definitely cursing them out more in line with PRT.

But it’s not the kids fault. The school gives them the opportunity and they take it. Especially color commentary requires context, knowledge of the league, knowledge of the program, knowledge of the game that really no 20 year old possesses. There are some other natural born things like charisma, improv skills, vocal skills that Blue mentions and I agree you kinda have it or you don’t. But I’m not here to write these kids off just to say their basic training shouldn’t be happening on the primary outlet for uri basketball (streaming) if you aren’t in the Ryan center. Like I said earlier give the students the job of sideline reporter, let them do profiles on players that air at halftime, interview Archie as he walks off for halftime etc. There are plenty of ways you could still give them experience without making them the face and voice of the Rams on the platform that actually has some audience.

I can’t imagine even hundreds are listening on Varsity - it’s barely promoted. No attempt to on board fans, especially older ones, onto the platform and keep promoting it every game. So basically you have two pros (Steve and Chris) calling a game for a few dozen people and two students to a few hundred. That’s insane. And it screams small time.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote: 6 months ago I will say - aggressive or not, you're not wrong. TV is a tough business, and the school isn't doing anyone any favors who lacks the talent to progress.

I get it - people can learn, etc. But like a lot of things, you either have it or you don't. There are ranges you can improve, but some of the kids that I've heard on there just flat out don't belong in front of a camera.

Stone is so good and so professional, that the communications school looks at it as - "oh look Stone did it" - but that kid is 1 in a million. We're lucky he loves RI and works there, because that kid should've been snatched up by ESPN. He's a pro. URI is looking at him as a template, instead of recognizing that he's legitimately generational broadcasting talent they were lucky to mold. He's way too modest and respectful to come out and say that it's all him, and he'll give credit to the Harrington school, but you can't make broadcasters. You can mold them, but that's it.

URI has a great studio and great connections - do some closed loop stuff internally and leave the professional broadcasts to the professionals - unless you get lucky and find another Stone Freeman to come to URI.

But if I'm a prospective broadcasting student and I see the URI product, I'm not saying "wow I've gotta go there and learn from them."
To add to your point about Stone to (which you're right about)...if I remember correctly when Stone started out we were still on Cox/Yurview to. So really nobody was coming across that stream unless they were seeking it out, so most likely just URI fans.

Now even though ESPN+ is not the same as being on ESPN TV, it's still a very popular streaming product, and any sports fan that's scrolling through the live game listings looking for something to watch, or even recruits, could come across our game and decide to tune in...and that's the impression they get of us and our program. Not ideal.
Last edited by adam914 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Also the announcers didn’t say why Weston started over Zek in the 2h , I specifically had to go to the game thread to ask why and Drumds mentioned he had 2 fouls which made sense , but I don’t think the announcers said anything
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It would appear that Cox/Yurview no longer have any interest in doing Ram games. It once used to be that URI had some of the best local tv coverage within the A-10. That is no longer the case. Other teams such as UMass now have many games on NESN and Fordham has games on SNY. The fact that the A-10 tv partners have little interest in featuring URI makes the local situation that much worse. Most of URI's games these day are restricted to low budget/poor quality productions that are only available via streaming on ESPN+. There are just three games this season on USA and three games on the CBS Sports Network.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 6 months ago It would appear that Cox/Yurview no longer have any interest in doing Ram games. It once used to be that URI had some of the best local tv coverage within the A-10. That is no longer the case. Other teams such as UMass now have many games on NESN and Fordham has games on SNY. The fact that the A-10 tv partners have little interest in featuring URI makes the local situation that much worse. Most of URI's games these day are restricted to low budget/poor quality productions that are only available via streaming on ESPN+. There are just three games this season on USA and three games on the CBS Sports Network.
A10 TV partners will want to broadcast our games again when we are winning. We had a great TV slate in the years we were top of the league. And terrestrial TV is sorta a thing of the past. That’s why we should be treating our ESPN+ product with much more sophistication. That’s the future.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Not-so-old-man yelling at clouds here, but man do I miss being able to have the post game on the regular radio driving home from the game. What a chafe!
4 x
Mobley was fouled.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

reef wrote: 6 months ago Also the announcers didn’t say why Weston started over Zek in the 2h , I specifically had to go to the game thread to ask why and Drumds mentioned he had 2 fouls which made sense , but I don’t think the announcers said anything
He actually had 3 fouls.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RI_Bred wrote: 6 months ago Not-so-old-man yelling at clouds here, but man do I miss being able to have the post game on the regular radio driving home from the game. What a chafe!
On my way home Monday night I thought the same thing. And worse yet I listened to the PC post game show following their game with Columbia.

Why can't we have that?
2 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

section(105) wrote: 6 months ago
ElmCityRhody wrote: 6 months ago in addition to looking fugly - looks like we are giving up 84 seats too

like what has been said - no one has this stupid setup.. no one

get rid of this - it is long overdue

this and not completing the circle *under the main scoreboard" are the 2 biggest mistakes of the RC

however, this one can be fixed in a day
If those 84 seats could be sold every game, it would have happened already?
Put the students in 104(where they belong). Displaced season ticket holders from 104 and put the in those 84ish seats? Sounds to simple, boy o boy, we have plowed this ground over and over……
That is an excellent idea, 105. I’ve noticed watching any recent NBA game and haven’t seen this amount of real estate for Press in any arena. It shouldn’t be that difficult or costly of an install to get that done.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RI_Bred wrote: 6 months ago Not-so-old-man yelling at clouds here, but man do I miss being able to have the post game on the regular radio driving home from the game. What a chafe!
I actually forgot I used to listen to the post game show on the way home. I used to love that show.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Can’t get it on the phone?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938